Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Cherry WheatSamuel Adams Cherry Wheat

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.30% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-25-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,130 | Hads: 3,651
1.87/5  rDev -42.3%

I thought I'd like this beer, I guess I was wrong. The color is cloudy, the head disappears quickly, the cherry flavor is overpowering. I really had to choke this down. This is not the type of beer for me.
Maybe if I was on a desert island and had nothing else to drink, if that was the case; I'd want a pistol and one bullet. (327 characters)

1.87/5  rDev -42.3%

Pours a one finger tan head over a crystal clear bright light orange liquid. Smells of marchiano cherry. Sweet and preserved fruity. Tastes rather unpleasant. Marchiano cherry meets jelly belly in a carbonated beverage. Syrupy cough medicine flavor with a very odd end/aftertaste. Cherry is in the flavor line of cherry cola. Carbonation on the tongue in the aftertaste can get rid of the cherry flavor, but does dry out the beer a bit. Medium body, but thick in a syrupy way that makes me wonder about how the cherry flavor was imparted. Md-heavy carbonation. This was a dumper. Blech. (586 characters)

1.86/5  rDev -42.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.5

Back when I started getting into beer it had become my goal to try every Sam Adams I could find, and after 5 or 6 different styles this was the first SA that I disliked. However it was more than that, I hated it.

It was light orange/red and wheatty, but very potently cherry smelling. When I tasted it all I could think about was the off-putting cherry flavor. It tasted very artificial and was not well balanced at all. Over all, there are now several SA beers that I dislike, but this is still by far the one I dislike the most.

If you like SA and you like fruitier beer, go for the Blackberry Whit, that is actually one of my favorites by SA now. (651 characters)

1.85/5  rDev -42.9%

I was not a fan of this Sam Adams creation. I poured the crystal clear sunset golden it into a pint glass creating a nice rocky head. Its cherry smell was pervasive and artifically sweet, just like an artificially-flavored cherry lollipop. Underneath were the cherry-alcohol notes of cough syrup. The cherry smell could not be separated from the taste, which was disappointing. Sans taking in the aroma, the taste was less cherryesque, and disappointingly flat and bland. Also, the body of the beer was light and thin. From what I understand, fruit beers are only supposed to be mildly fruity, however, I could not finish 12 oz of this brew because of the overwhelming cherry cough syrup aroma. (694 characters)

look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Bought a six pack on a day when the weather was nice. I thought it'd be a nice spring flavor.... Damn, was I mistaken.

A - Light golden color. Clear, and pleasant looking. Medium size head.

S - Tart cherry up front with a wheat back. Smells fresh and fruity.

T - Immediate tart cherry flavor which is pleasant, but quickly turns into a muddle wheat flavor. The wheat isn't crisp and clean, but an unpleasant, almost musty flavor which brings down the taste of the cherry. Awful finish and aftertaste.

M - Thin and somewhat carbonated. I can't quite put my finger on it, but something about this just doesn't feel right.

O - The appearance and smell are extremely deceptive. The taste just does not stand up to expectations. I had a hard time making it through one bottle, and couldn't even think about a whole six pack. I've had some wonderful tart cherry beers, but this one just doesn't work. They should have made it a Berliner weisse. It may have been a little more tart then, but at least it would have a clean, refreshing flavor. I usually rate Sam Adams in the upper end of mediocre, sometimes above, but this is a definite flop. (1,145 characters)

look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

12oz bottle.

A: Light hazy golden color with small head.

S: Very nice fruity/cherry aroma.

T: Candy cherry flavor, very harsh bitterness. Reminds me of cherry flavor cough medicine. Awful!!

M: Light, very carbonated.

Awful beer. Try to avoid this one!! (259 characters)

1.83/5  rDev -43.5%

Pours a medium amber with a small, white, fully diminishing head. Smells of fake cherry, like maraschino cherry juice, over mild wheat. The taste is dominated by more fake flavors that overshadow any redeeming qualities of this beer. It has a thin body, watery texture and low carbonation, and it’s probably the worst of the beers to wear the Sam Adams name. Big disappointment. (379 characters)

1.82/5  rDev -43.8%

AIBA 2003: artificial cherry aroma, candy like flavours, sweetish, but dries out a touch towards the end, abit stupid, but not all that bad. Maybe a nice one for the friend who doesn't like beer, or anything that resembles anything complex . Didn't really get into it. (268 characters)

1.82/5  rDev -43.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.5

app is hazy gold amber with slight foam head and clearer near the bottom, when shone in the light red can be seen, kind of cool. Smells bad though , like nothing but cherry cough syrup and carbonation. Taste is similarly terrible strong cherry medicine like from begginning most of the way through , although the end is very wheat like and gives a decent mouthfeel , but still this is a hard drinker for me, but then again I don't like cherries so what do you expect. (467 characters)

1.82/5  rDev -43.8%

A: Pours a hazy golden color. A decent sized white head forms, but leaves no lace.
S: This smells of cocktail cherry syrup. Kind of like syrup bars keep their cherries in. Just awful IMO.
T: Very sweet and syrupy. Cherries and a touch of wheat. Pretty much cloying.
M/D: A light body that is fairly creamy. The cloying sweetness and cherries makes this hard for me to swallow.

I am sorry, this is pretty bad. Avoid at all costs. (429 characters)

1.8/5  rDev -44.4%

Obvious cherry nose and faint hint of wheat and hops. Pours light amber color with almost no head. Extreem cherry taste with some maltiness and hint of wheat that is quickly offset by a jolly rancher like taste, initially it throws you off because it doesn’t taste like any other beer ive ever had. It really taste like some sort of soda. (339 characters)

1.79/5  rDev -44.8%
look: 3 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.5

After trying to figure out for days as to why this is in my fridge I decided to drink one to do a formal review because I have nothing else to do.

Slightly cloudy wheat color. Small white head that reduces to a collar around the beer.

Smells like Cherry 7-Up. Reminds me of the first day of summer in the 3rd grade and I went straight to the convenience store to buy one. Nevermind alcoholic energy drinks, someone should sue Sam Adams for targeting minors.

Any relation to 7-Up ends at the taste. It's buttery with a very unsatisfying bitterness in the aftertaste. Bready with a hint of hay and salt-less saltines. Reminds me of the crackers you get at communion, bland and tasteless. All of it is over powered by an artificial cherry flavor. Judging by the color, I'm guessing they use extract. Might make more sense to have a cherry beer that is actually red or reddish. (876 characters)

1.78/5  rDev -45.1%

Tried at a BBQ at a friends house. this was terrible! Easily the worst beer I've had in a long time. like a bad beer with a Cherry jolly roger candy poured into it. cherry was overpowering both smell and taste, mouthfeel was astringent.

I do not recommend this one to anyone! (276 characters)

1.78/5  rDev -45.1%

I was at a bbq, eating raw sweet cherries (taste nothing like cherry 'flavoring') and drinking a beer, and thought the two tasted GREAT together, so when I saw this one, I thought it would be great! I was wrong!

Pours a brownish red. Smells like a beer with some merachino cherry juice in it. Not all that bad.
It tasted just like it smelled, although the cherry flavor was way to strong. It just tasted like beer with cherry juice in it. I couldn't even finish it. Not impressed at all. Does anyone make a beer that has a REAL cherry taste to it? (549 characters)

1.76/5  rDev -45.7%

The hazy orange / amber hued brew is topped by a fairly dense ivory - white head that leaves a decent lace down the glass. Cherry absolutely overwhelms the aroma and is quite overbearing... any other malt notes or hop nose is completely masked. The taste is also dominated by a cloying cherry extract flavor, and as the beer warms an odd marzipan flavor becomes noticeable. This beer is an epitomy of inbalance-- the fruit extract prevents the malt profile to surface. Finishes sweet, w/ a lingering offputting sugary cherry candy sweetness. There are fruit beers that are drinkable... this is not one of them. (614 characters)

1.76/5  rDev -45.7%

I generally consider Sam Adams to be a good (not great), quality brewer. And while I was at first reluctant to give them a try, I have found many "fruity" beers that I find quite enjoyable. But Sam's Cherry Wheat was a major disappointment. The dominant, overpowering flavor was, to me, far too reminiscent of cherry cough syrup. And not in a good way. As cough syrup, a cherry cough syrup flavor is fine. Mixed with beer, not so much. A rare beer that to me was undrinkable. I tried one from a six-pack, didn't finish it, and gave the remaining five away. (564 characters)

1.75/5  rDev -46%

Ugh. Undrinkable on its own, it really shines when paired with a Guinness or Young's Chocolate stout in a half n half. Try it, you may be surprised. Never drink it alone though. That's a recipe for sadness. (206 characters)

1.75/5  rDev -46%

Remember when you were sick when you were a little kid? Mom would come into your room with a bottle and a spoon. She'd reassuringly try to coo, "It's cherry flavored!"... but, you just KNEW that didn't mean it would taste good!

I'm sure the Sam Adams people worked closely with pharmaceutical industry contacts to perfect this artificial, mediciney cherry flavor!

The appearance of this beer is not bad, hazy orange-gold with a white head that fades quickly. The smell is OK, too... dominated by cherry with a little wheat beer in the scent. Mouthfeel is thin and fizzy.

It's the taste that's just horrible! Very reminiscent of Robitussin. Vague sour aftertaste. Cherry-medicine burps afterwards!

I really cannot fathom why this is rated as high as it is! (767 characters)

1.74/5  rDev -46.3%

12 oz bottle, best before Dec 07.

Clear copper with a small beige head, decent lace.

Aroma is overpowering maraschino cherries.

Flavor is artificial cherry with a light dusting of wheat.

Finish was dry with a sour note.

This was a disappointment. Glad I only bought one. (285 characters)

- It looks like beer
- It smells sort of like beer
- It certainly doesn't taste like beer
- It is an insult to your taste buds

I had to sign up to this site just to evaluate (I can't even bring myself to use the word B..r)this stuff.
I've had Mort Subite in Belgium that is and always will be my favorite beer. Yep it's made with cherries too but that's where the the comparison stops. I'm not going to spend much time on this review because this swill doesn't deserve it. No fancy phrasing or words needed here to describe this mediocre experiment...it's awful!!! Samuel Adams should be embarrassed to have released this stuff and whomever approuved and tested this concoction should be fired!

Well I don't want to seem too negative reviewing this product, because you really can't be too negative reviewing it if you really love drinking beer. (847 characters)

1.7/5  rDev -47.5%

A- Macro-esque color and clarity- just darker than your average lager. Pretty good head, swelled to about two fingers, then fades to a half.

S- Wow, huge cherry smell. This is easily the fruitiest beer I have ever smelled. Behind the cherries are slight corn grains, but mostly it's just artificial cherry aromas, like syrup for sno-cones. It is appetizing...

T- Blech, awful taste. Fake tasting, flat character, no redeeming qualities. Drainpours wanna pour this down the drain. What a huge disappointment.

M- Poor as well, like thick water. No body, but fairly smooth.

D- None. The taste is too awful, especially for such an established brewery that usually knows what it is doing (sans the "lambic"...).

Tragic. (719 characters)

1.7/5  rDev -47.5%

From the “Brew Master’s Collection”
Aroma: Wait for it….. Cherry.
Appearance: Deep golden color with a collar of white head fed by an active carbonation. The brew left some traces of lace.
Flavor: Starts with a nice malt base but is quickly overwhelmed with an artificial cherry taste. The cherry reminds me of a fizzy cherry medicine or candy, so it’s hard to call it “fruity”. I couldn’t detect any hops, and it needed some to bring it back from the cloying edge it reached.
Mouthfeel: Thin body with a solid carbonation prickle.
Overall Impression: Too much “cherry” not enough hops. Just leaves the beer one sided, and not on a good side. I like fruit beers, too bad this isn’t one. (758 characters)

1.69/5  rDev -47.8%
look: 3 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

I never thought I would drain pour a Sam Adams but here I am. Absolute disaster. The smell was medicinal cherry and the taste was more of the same. I could barely stop from throwing up. Bottle dating was fresh by sept 2012 so still fresh.

Just wow. I picked up a mixed pack and this was the worst of the bunch. (311 characters)

1.68/5  rDev -48.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Pours an orangish color, with white head. The lacing clings to the sides nicely as you drink it.

Smells very sweet, like maraschino cherries. It lacks the authentic fruit smell of a good lambic. I'm not against adding fruit to a beer, but it should smell and taste natural. This smells too artificial.

Wow, Sam Adams made a mistake in judgment here. The taste is like cough syrup. Not syrupy, but watered down, carbonated cough syrup. Very bad brew. I wouldn't try it again even if it was the only thing available. I'd rather drink water or a soda. (554 characters)

1.62/5  rDev -50%

I can't stand this beer! Every aspect of it sucks. Almost the worst beer I've had.

Looks like watery cough syrup.

Smells like cough syrup.

Tasts like cherry cough syrup.

Feels like cough syrup.

Might as well be cough syrup!

Who like to drink cough syrup?
Not me.
Ewwuu! (278 characters)

Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)