Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Cherry WheatSamuel Adams Cherry Wheat

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.30% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-25-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,615 | Reviews: 1,163
2.06/5  rDev -34.4%

I was fairly fond of this when I first started drinking, and my wife still likes it. In fact I had poured this for her before she decided to go with a mixed drink for the night, so I was stuck with it.

12 oz bottle poured into a pint glass. A slightly sticky looking head that leaves a bit of lacing on the glass. Color is a little orange-ish.
The smell right away is a artificial cherry syrup, like Grenadine. No other beer qualities are noted. taste is not much better. It is overly sweet with candy sugar and more syrupy cherry flavor. The is malt base that is all but washed out by the cherry flavor. Mouthfeel is syrupy and sticky.
It seems that the Cherry Wheat I remember from college tasted like a beer with a cherry finish, but now it seems to be all cherry. I will pass on this.

2.06/5  rDev -34.4%

A-Light orange...unimpressive head for a wheat

S-Artificial cherries....cherry cough syrup....completely uninviting...why they can't achieve a more natural cherry aroma is befuddling to me.

T-Am I sucking on a cherry cough drop or did I just drink this beer...nasty cherry cough syrup flavor...Not much else..some tartness on the finish..

M-Light side of medium...about what I'd expect for the style..

D-Not for me....If I want a cherry cough drop I'll suck on one....I think Sammy does a nice job with their beers for the most part but this one needs to be reworked or eliminated...

look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2

Great first sip. After that it really tastes like cough syrup

2.05/5  rDev -34.7%

I don't know what I was thinking giving this beer a decent review earlier. Medium amber with hint of red color. Moderately carbonated with quickly disappearing head. Syruppy sweet cherry aroma with trace of almost underfermented beer to it. Very sweet, cloying like a lollipop. Slippery mouthfeel. Tastes like a cheap soda. Skip this one.

2.04/5  rDev -35%

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

A - Apricot color with a reddish hue, produced a nice frothy head that stuck around for a while.

S - Incredible! Like fresh cherries, so strong in fact that I could almost taste them. I took in the aroma for several minutes before taking my first sip.

T - I'm not going to waste time trying to explain what profiles I could pick out, because this tastes exactly like something most people have already had, so I'll point it out. This tastes like Cherry 7-Up, and I mean exactly like it - except with alcohol. To further clarify, cherry 7-Up does not taste good when alcohol is in it, unless it's liquor of course.

M - Light bodied and a slightly overpowering bit of carbonation. Whatever cherry flavoring that is lingers as well.

D - Null for me on this one, I'm not entirely certain I can even finish one. Maybe if Cherry 7-Up is your favorite soda, and you've been dying to try an alcoholic version, this will be for you, otherwise, I do not recommend it.

2.02/5  rDev -35.7%

Someone insisted that this beer would change my opinions about Sammy Adams, I hoped it would but as usual..I'm just dissapointed that I wasted my time and money.

Starts decent with a crisp golden pour, moderate clean white head that disapates rather quickly.

Smell is strongly cherry, a bit of a chemical scent.

Taste is godawful. Robutussin and cough syrup blended with sour mash and a stinging astringent after taste.

Mouthfeel, taste aside, is decent. Carbonation is perfect. Crisp and smooth dry finish.

Drinkability is low for me. The taste was murder and I won't be touching this again if I can help it.

2.01/5  rDev -36%

Poured on-tap at the Stadium Tavern in Fullerton, CA. Reviewed from notes.

A- Typical Sam Adams fluffy head. Finger and a half thick. Orange color. Long retention.

S- Smells like cherry cough medicine. Very strong. Oofah.

T- I think someone just poured cough medicine into my beer. Disgusting.

M- Medium bodied and sticky.

O- Avoid unless you like adult koolaid.

2.01/5  rDev -36%

A: Nice golden copper color.

S: Smelled like the malt was ran over by a cherry cough drop on a hot day.

T: I didn't like it at all. I did drink the whole six pack and after the first four the last two went down ok, just not what I thought this beer would be. I was looking for a lighter and better cherry flavor.

M: good carbonation not too filling.

D: It was the longest six apck ever. I would say try it you might like it. (I didn't)

I had this beer a few months ago. Thank goodness I didn't buy it. A friend brought a six pack over to the house. Thought it was a good idea due to the fact I'm from Boston originally. Back to the beer taste horrible don't know what Sam Adams was thinking. Just not my swag at all. I am not into any fruity beer period. I like the fact the company tried an experiment, but epic fail in my opinion.

1.99/5  rDev -36.6%

Cherries and beer don't really mix for me.

1.99/5  rDev -36.6%

Poured from a bottle into a shaker pint glass. It pours a light copper color with about one finger's worth of head that. Leaves a little lacing on the glass.

The aroma is of cherries. Sweet, tart cherries and it's too strong for my liking. Some nice wheat smells come through at the end, but it's hard to reach them through all that cherry.

Luckily, the taste is not quite as cherry-centric as the aroma, but it's still too sweet with cherry for my liking. It does have a decent wheat beer taste to it, but in my opinion it's just too sweet.

Does have a decent mouthfeel with good carbonation and the nice wheat feel to it.

I'll be the first to admit that fruit beers are not usually my thing so it would be something special for me to want to continue drinking one. I am not sure I could force myself to drink another one of these.

1.98/5  rDev -36.9%

12 oz bottle to glass. Yellow-gold hazy appearance. Smell has some wheat beer smell but the cherry aroma made me worried, kind of fake smelling. Taste was really bad for me, the cherry was very, very strong and fake for me, like anything from store labeled "black cherry flavored___ product." Maybe it's all real cherries and this is what it taskes like and it's all me, but I was turned off.

1.96/5  rDev -37.6%

Smells of cherry, tastes of cherry and beer, not a good mix in my opinion.

1.96/5  rDev -37.6%

Pours a hazy yellow to orange-ish color with a light tan head. In the aroma, dark cherry, almost like a cough drop. In the taste, dry cherry and wheat notes. A fruity bite and medium to light mouthfeel, with a dry cherry fruitiness in the aftertaste. I think it is like a couple Ludens cough drops dropped in a mediocre wheat beer.

look: 3 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.75

I didn't really enjoy it, when I was a youth I drank to get drunk, but recently I've started drinking beer to enjoy my beer, unfortunately, I thought I would enjoy this one. Now I enjoy ales, and I thought this would be good, but unfortunately I thought it was just too much like a dry cough syrup.

1.96/5  rDev -37.6%

light orange to yellow and transluscent with thin white head. smells exactly like sour cherry cough syrup. overwhelms anything else that might be there. not good.
the flavors start of with the cough syrup and finish that way. I think it may chill out a little in the middle but I'm not sure. zingy bite of carbonation.
this is sort of sickening. I poured it down the sink.

1.96/5  rDev -37.6%

Pours a straw color; maybe a hint of pink in the edges. Minimal white head. Aroma is a bit sweet, slight cherry notes. Flavor is a light bodied American wheat with a harsh, almost sour artificial cherry flavor. It's almost overpowering, and leaves just a slight metallic tinge in the mouth. Mouthfeel is thin. Drinkability - it's been years since I tried this beer. Now I remember why.

1.95/5  rDev -37.9%

Cough syrup and Dr. Pepper.

1.93/5  rDev -38.5%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Appears an amber orange filtered hue with a thin cream head topping it off. Aroma is full of artificial marciano cherry esque sweetness almost overbearingly cherry no balance from anyother aromas in there, just potent cherries. Taste well, in the background some malt sweetness along with the same bready Sam Adams characteristic flavor that exists in all of BBC's beers. What makes this beer near untolerable is the rush of cherry extract that becomes cloying and not drinkable or enjoyable like candy. Mouthfeel fizzy carbonation lighter bodied with slight syrupy mouthfeel to it. Drinkability pass on this gimmick cherry wheat and go find a good beer, pass on this grotesque cloying answer to wheat beer fads.

1.92/5  rDev -38.9%

In a Walmart mexican beer festival, i found this and another three beers from jim koch, this is like a "tutsi pop flavor" a llolipop famous in my country, bad for me.

I try this with guacamole, and panela cheese, poured in a pint glass, for appreciatte its colors and carbonations.

65% recommended.

1.91/5  rDev -39.2%

I should note that I'm never a big fan of fruit-flavored beers. I do enjoy O'Fallon's peach, but I was very disappointed by this.

Doesn't look too bad, but this beer smells and tastes like artificial cherry flavor. Mouthfeel is average, decent body.

No way I could drink more than one of these a night. This is not what "cherry" beer should taste like.

1.91/5  rDev -39.2%

A-Pours a light honey color. White head forms and is about a finger thick. I can tell before I tilt the glass, or take a sip, that this beer will leave lacing.

S-Smells like a cherry flavored lozenge. Just a bit whack of artificial cherry. Almost smells like medicine. I guess i could say I smell some wheat but I would possibly be lying.

T-Just not doing it for me. Cherry flavored medicine. Clings to the tongue and hangs around. I feel like I should be coughing because it tastes like I'm sucking on a cherry cough drop.

M-Light but sickly sticky. Carbonation is an afterthought. I just don't like the flavor. There is nothing that the mouthfeel can do to make this a better beer.

O/D-I flat out do not like this beer's artificial, cloying flavor. Had to try it once. I actually think I may regret it. I am not sure if I have said that before.

1.9/5  rDev -39.5%

quite possibly, one of the worst beer I have ever had. I was VERY disspaointed in the taste of this brew.

Pours a nice golden color, and, has some white for the head.

The cherry taste is almost over powering. I do not get the standard fruit/wheat taste, the cherry taste was like a candied cherry.

No hops, no wheat, to sweet of a cherry at that. Ug, not very good choice, IMO

1.89/5  rDev -39.8%

This is the only six pack I could not finish! In my opinion the taste stinks. I can't even swallow the stuff. I will never buy a cherry related beer again. Yuck! Spit! The saying "looks can be deceiving" applies here. My soon to be wife also had to spit this one out...Now that's saying something...enough said!
Smells and tastes like cough syrup.
I love Sam Adam's but the Cherry taste was just to much, not balanced at all.

1.89/5  rDev -39.8%

Appearance - Pours a hazy golden color with a one finger head.

Smell - Cherry flavored cough medicine with a little bit of malt.

Taste - Medicinal cherry flavor is dominant.

Mouthfeel - Decent carbonation, medium bodied.

Drinkability - Not my favorite, a fairly weak offering in my opinion.

Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)