Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Cherry WheatSamuel Adams Cherry Wheat

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.30% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-25-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,138 | Hads: 3,689
1.92/5  rDev -40.4%

In a Walmart mexican beer festival, i found this and another three beers from jim koch, this is like a "tutsi pop flavor" a llolipop famous in my country, bad for me.

I try this with guacamole, and panela cheese, poured in a pint glass, for appreciatte its colors and carbonations.

65% recommended.

1.91/5  rDev -40.7%

I should note that I'm never a big fan of fruit-flavored beers. I do enjoy O'Fallon's peach, but I was very disappointed by this.

Doesn't look too bad, but this beer smells and tastes like artificial cherry flavor. Mouthfeel is average, decent body.

No way I could drink more than one of these a night. This is not what "cherry" beer should taste like.

1.91/5  rDev -40.7%

A-Pours a light honey color. White head forms and is about a finger thick. I can tell before I tilt the glass, or take a sip, that this beer will leave lacing.

S-Smells like a cherry flavored lozenge. Just a bit whack of artificial cherry. Almost smells like medicine. I guess i could say I smell some wheat but I would possibly be lying.

T-Just not doing it for me. Cherry flavored medicine. Clings to the tongue and hangs around. I feel like I should be coughing because it tastes like I'm sucking on a cherry cough drop.

M-Light but sickly sticky. Carbonation is an afterthought. I just don't like the flavor. There is nothing that the mouthfeel can do to make this a better beer.

O/D-I flat out do not like this beer's artificial, cloying flavor. Had to try it once. I actually think I may regret it. I am not sure if I have said that before.

1.9/5  rDev -41%

quite possibly, one of the worst beer I have ever had. I was VERY disspaointed in the taste of this brew.

Pours a nice golden color, and, has some white for the head.

The cherry taste is almost over powering. I do not get the standard fruit/wheat taste, the cherry taste was like a candied cherry.

No hops, no wheat, to sweet of a cherry at that. Ug, not very good choice, IMO

1.89/5  rDev -41.3%

This is the only six pack I could not finish! In my opinion the taste stinks. I can't even swallow the stuff. I will never buy a cherry related beer again. Yuck! Spit! The saying "looks can be deceiving" applies here. My soon to be wife also had to spit this one out...Now that's saying something...enough said!
Smells and tastes like cough syrup.
I love Sam Adam's but the Cherry taste was just to much, not balanced at all.

1.89/5  rDev -41.3%

Appearance - Pours a hazy golden color with a one finger head.

Smell - Cherry flavored cough medicine with a little bit of malt.

Taste - Medicinal cherry flavor is dominant.

Mouthfeel - Decent carbonation, medium bodied.

Drinkability - Not my favorite, a fairly weak offering in my opinion.

1.88/5  rDev -41.6%

I've got to say that I was somewhat disappointed by this one since I found I like most of what Sam Adams brews.

A: Light golden/yellow color. A bit darker than Miller Light with a similar head.

S: Right away you're hit with the smell of cherry. It was all that came through in the smell.

T: Again, cherry. I was hoping for maybe a hint of cherry and a hoegarden taste, but no. Cherry and a slight hint of yeast is all I found. It is a very sweet beer.

M: Felt watery and only slightly carbonated. Not a real good feel.

D: I drank this one slowly and sort of regretted ordering it.

1.88/5  rDev -41.6%

12 oz. bottle,

A: Pours a light hazy orange, with a thick white head, good retention, no lacing.

S: Smells just like a black cherry soda that you would get out of the cheap 25 cent vending machines.

T: Taste is not good. Cold the black cherry dominates and that is all right, would probably be a 3. As the beer warms up, this awful artificial cherry medicine flavour comes out, not something I want to drink.

M: Mouthfeel is really light and watery, I expected more.

D: Don't want to drink this beer as the bad cherry flavour comes out, didn't like it, avoid, Sam Adams' worst.

1.87/5  rDev -41.9%

I thought I'd like this beer, I guess I was wrong. The color is cloudy, the head disappears quickly, the cherry flavor is overpowering. I really had to choke this down. This is not the type of beer for me.
Maybe if I was on a desert island and had nothing else to drink, if that was the case; I'd want a pistol and one bullet.

1.87/5  rDev -41.9%

Pours a one finger tan head over a crystal clear bright light orange liquid. Smells of marchiano cherry. Sweet and preserved fruity. Tastes rather unpleasant. Marchiano cherry meets jelly belly in a carbonated beverage. Syrupy cough medicine flavor with a very odd end/aftertaste. Cherry is in the flavor line of cherry cola. Carbonation on the tongue in the aftertaste can get rid of the cherry flavor, but does dry out the beer a bit. Medium body, but thick in a syrupy way that makes me wonder about how the cherry flavor was imparted. Md-heavy carbonation. This was a dumper. Blech.

1.86/5  rDev -42.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.5

Back when I started getting into beer it had become my goal to try every Sam Adams I could find, and after 5 or 6 different styles this was the first SA that I disliked. However it was more than that, I hated it.

It was light orange/red and wheatty, but very potently cherry smelling. When I tasted it all I could think about was the off-putting cherry flavor. It tasted very artificial and was not well balanced at all. Over all, there are now several SA beers that I dislike, but this is still by far the one I dislike the most.

If you like SA and you like fruitier beer, go for the Blackberry Whit, that is actually one of my favorites by SA now.

1.85/5  rDev -42.5%

I was not a fan of this Sam Adams creation. I poured the crystal clear sunset golden it into a pint glass creating a nice rocky head. Its cherry smell was pervasive and artifically sweet, just like an artificially-flavored cherry lollipop. Underneath were the cherry-alcohol notes of cough syrup. The cherry smell could not be separated from the taste, which was disappointing. Sans taking in the aroma, the taste was less cherryesque, and disappointingly flat and bland. Also, the body of the beer was light and thin. From what I understand, fruit beers are only supposed to be mildly fruity, however, I could not finish 12 oz of this brew because of the overwhelming cherry cough syrup aroma.

look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Bought a six pack on a day when the weather was nice. I thought it'd be a nice spring flavor.... Damn, was I mistaken.

A - Light golden color. Clear, and pleasant looking. Medium size head.

S - Tart cherry up front with a wheat back. Smells fresh and fruity.

T - Immediate tart cherry flavor which is pleasant, but quickly turns into a muddle wheat flavor. The wheat isn't crisp and clean, but an unpleasant, almost musty flavor which brings down the taste of the cherry. Awful finish and aftertaste.

M - Thin and somewhat carbonated. I can't quite put my finger on it, but something about this just doesn't feel right.

O - The appearance and smell are extremely deceptive. The taste just does not stand up to expectations. I had a hard time making it through one bottle, and couldn't even think about a whole six pack. I've had some wonderful tart cherry beers, but this one just doesn't work. They should have made it a Berliner weisse. It may have been a little more tart then, but at least it would have a clean, refreshing flavor. I usually rate Sam Adams in the upper end of mediocre, sometimes above, but this is a definite flop.

look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

12oz bottle.

A: Light hazy golden color with small head.

S: Very nice fruity/cherry aroma.

T: Candy cherry flavor, very harsh bitterness. Reminds me of cherry flavor cough medicine. Awful!!

M: Light, very carbonated.

Awful beer. Try to avoid this one!!

1.83/5  rDev -43.2%

Pours a medium amber with a small, white, fully diminishing head. Smells of fake cherry, like maraschino cherry juice, over mild wheat. The taste is dominated by more fake flavors that overshadow any redeeming qualities of this beer. It has a thin body, watery texture and low carbonation, and it’s probably the worst of the beers to wear the Sam Adams name. Big disappointment.

1.82/5  rDev -43.5%

AIBA 2003: artificial cherry aroma, candy like flavours, sweetish, but dries out a touch towards the end, abit stupid, but not all that bad. Maybe a nice one for the friend who doesn't like beer, or anything that resembles anything complex . Didn't really get into it.

1.82/5  rDev -43.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.5

app is hazy gold amber with slight foam head and clearer near the bottom, when shone in the light red can be seen, kind of cool. Smells bad though , like nothing but cherry cough syrup and carbonation. Taste is similarly terrible strong cherry medicine like from begginning most of the way through , although the end is very wheat like and gives a decent mouthfeel , but still this is a hard drinker for me, but then again I don't like cherries so what do you expect.

1.82/5  rDev -43.5%

A: Pours a hazy golden color. A decent sized white head forms, but leaves no lace.
S: This smells of cocktail cherry syrup. Kind of like syrup bars keep their cherries in. Just awful IMO.
T: Very sweet and syrupy. Cherries and a touch of wheat. Pretty much cloying.
M/D: A light body that is fairly creamy. The cloying sweetness and cherries makes this hard for me to swallow.

I am sorry, this is pretty bad. Avoid at all costs.

1.8/5  rDev -44.1%

Obvious cherry nose and faint hint of wheat and hops. Pours light amber color with almost no head. Extreem cherry taste with some maltiness and hint of wheat that is quickly offset by a jolly rancher like taste, initially it throws you off because it doesn’t taste like any other beer ive ever had. It really taste like some sort of soda.

1.79/5  rDev -44.4%
look: 3 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.5

After trying to figure out for days as to why this is in my fridge I decided to drink one to do a formal review because I have nothing else to do.

Slightly cloudy wheat color. Small white head that reduces to a collar around the beer.

Smells like Cherry 7-Up. Reminds me of the first day of summer in the 3rd grade and I went straight to the convenience store to buy one. Nevermind alcoholic energy drinks, someone should sue Sam Adams for targeting minors.

Any relation to 7-Up ends at the taste. It's buttery with a very unsatisfying bitterness in the aftertaste. Bready with a hint of hay and salt-less saltines. Reminds me of the crackers you get at communion, bland and tasteless. All of it is over powered by an artificial cherry flavor. Judging by the color, I'm guessing they use extract. Might make more sense to have a cherry beer that is actually red or reddish.

1.78/5  rDev -44.7%

Tried at a BBQ at a friends house. this was terrible! Easily the worst beer I've had in a long time. like a bad beer with a Cherry jolly roger candy poured into it. cherry was overpowering both smell and taste, mouthfeel was astringent.

I do not recommend this one to anyone!

1.78/5  rDev -44.7%

I was at a bbq, eating raw sweet cherries (taste nothing like cherry 'flavoring') and drinking a beer, and thought the two tasted GREAT together, so when I saw this one, I thought it would be great! I was wrong!

Pours a brownish red. Smells like a beer with some merachino cherry juice in it. Not all that bad.
It tasted just like it smelled, although the cherry flavor was way to strong. It just tasted like beer with cherry juice in it. I couldn't even finish it. Not impressed at all. Does anyone make a beer that has a REAL cherry taste to it?

1.76/5  rDev -45.3%

The hazy orange / amber hued brew is topped by a fairly dense ivory - white head that leaves a decent lace down the glass. Cherry absolutely overwhelms the aroma and is quite overbearing... any other malt notes or hop nose is completely masked. The taste is also dominated by a cloying cherry extract flavor, and as the beer warms an odd marzipan flavor becomes noticeable. This beer is an epitomy of inbalance-- the fruit extract prevents the malt profile to surface. Finishes sweet, w/ a lingering offputting sugary cherry candy sweetness. There are fruit beers that are drinkable... this is not one of them.

1.76/5  rDev -45.3%

I generally consider Sam Adams to be a good (not great), quality brewer. And while I was at first reluctant to give them a try, I have found many "fruity" beers that I find quite enjoyable. But Sam's Cherry Wheat was a major disappointment. The dominant, overpowering flavor was, to me, far too reminiscent of cherry cough syrup. And not in a good way. As cough syrup, a cherry cough syrup flavor is fine. Mixed with beer, not so much. A rare beer that to me was undrinkable. I tried one from a six-pack, didn't finish it, and gave the remaining five away.

1.75/5  rDev -45.7%

Ugh. Undrinkable on its own, it really shines when paired with a Guinness or Young's Chocolate stout in a half n half. Try it, you may be surprised. Never drink it alone though. That's a recipe for sadness.

Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)