Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Cherry WheatSamuel Adams Cherry Wheat

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.30% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-25-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,618 | Reviews: 1,166
4.66/5  rDev +48.4%

Appearance - Amber in color. Head was almost non existent.

Smell - Strong cherry smell but not enough to make it overwhelming.

Taste - Very sweet beer. The cherry is faint until the finish where it picks up.

Mouthfeel - Very carbonated.

Drinkability - Despite the cherry flavor it's easy to keep drinking. Great fall beer.

4.64/5  rDev +47.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Very Cherry like... But very good... taste is pretty bland, slight dry cherry taste. it tastes better than it smells, i was expecting something different once i smelled it. i can definitely see where people have said it's cherry cough syrup + dr pepper.

4.64/5  rDev +47.8%

This beer is amazing. The flavor is very sweet which I don't usually enjoy, but in this case it seems to be done wonderfully. I had it on tap, into a pint glass and it was one of the better beers I have ever had. The appearance is like a light weizen, not red like I expected. The smell is beautiful with a bright cherry scent. The taste is brilliant cherry - as I said sweet, but not overbearing. The mouthfeel is nothing special, not bad, but nothing to write home about - definitely nothing left over but a great taste. Overall, I highly recommend it - even for a flavored beer.

4.64/5  rDev +47.8%

Served in a pint glass at just over fridge temperature, with a "drink by" date of February 2009.

Appearance- Pale straw gold, this beer pours without much fanfare... with a gentle swirl of the last few ounces in the bottle, we get a small amount of wheat malt in suspension. The white foamy cap settles around two fingers for awhile, then it reduces to a quarter inch. Lacing starts moments later and sticks in long, horizontal stretches inside the glass.

Smell- Gigantic aroma of Michigan cherries, so incredibly dense and full that it would be easy to proclaim its over-dominance... however, I am enamored by its supernatural presence. It's all cherries, all the time... but so clean and fruity it's ridiculous.

Taste- I'm noticing something now that really commands props, and it's the wonderful bready, smooth finish. The palate offers a generous helping of cherries, fresher than I could have ever imagined... then comes the doughy, light conclusion. So good.

Mouthfeel/Drinkablity- One surprise after another, this beer is dazzling the hell out of me. Sharp and quick immediately upon entering the mouth, it turns seafoamy and slick within seconds and becomes liquid velvet for the remainder of its short time there. Although I probably wouldn't drink more than one or two at a sitting, for intense flavor reasons only, this is stunningly enjoyable and **way** better than I remember from years ago.

4.62/5  rDev +47.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This has certainly got to be one of my absolute fovourites from Samuel Adams. Extremely tasty. Pours a golden orange colour with almost no head, just a thin slightly off-white haze. Laces the glass nicely. Just looks good, almost thirst quenching. The smell is very strong of cherry. There is no doubt whatsoever that there is cherry in there. The taste is divine. Alot of cherry at first, then it subsides to a maltiness which then gives way to a very nice toasted flavour. Just delicious. Medium bodied; not too heavy. The mouth feel is a bit thinner than the black motor oil porters and stouts that I typically drink. Very tasty, very smooth, not a whole lot of carbonation, very drinkable. Fantastic!!

4.62/5  rDev +47.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass
The appearance is a yellow orange with a decent foam head.
Smell is a very pleasant cherry aroma, not too strong or too light.
The taste is a refreshing combo of Wheat and cherry. I'm not a big fan of fruity beers, but, this one is by far the best I have tried.
Mouthfeel is very smooth, just the right amount of carbonation.
Very drinkable beer, perfect for that hot July day after doing some yard work or just relaxing in the summer sun. I recommend giving this one a try

4.59/5  rDev +46.2%

The pour was satisfied with a thick frothy 1" head.

The appearance was rich as you would expect from Sam.

The smell was phenominal! You could get a hint from the cherry extract that just put this right over the top in this Beer Advocate's opinion.

Taste was fantastic. I really enjoyed the hint of cherry flavor. It was certianly not overpowering.... just a hint. Just the right amount of hoppiness.

These go down real nice. I will continue to have this on my short list of beers to keep in stock.

4.58/5  rDev +45.9%

All I have to say is WOW!

This beer rocks! I am a big Sam Adams fan and love everything about the company and the beers. I'm not a big fan of Boston Lagar, just think it's OK. Summer Ale is in my opinion below average. Winter Lagar is Outstanding!!

Last but not least Cherry Wheat Ale. Yeah, CHERRY, WTF..lol But it's Sam Adams so I had to try it. Has to be one of the tastiest beers I have ever drank. Just like the other guys said, it pours a very nice head. I love the taste, smell, texture, color and just everything, even the bottle it comes in I love.

Bottom line, I highly recommend this beer. Find out who has it in stock and buy as much as you can afford.

Enjoy!

4.57/5  rDev +45.5%

One of my first beers. It's still one I love to go back to nearly year round. It just makes me happy.

Poured in a pint glass

A- Golden with attractive lacing and a small head

S- Sweet cherries explode in the nose with a light refreshing smell. I wish I could wear the beer.

T- Wonderully sweet yet balanced. Unlike many so called fruit wheats you can clearly taste the cherries. Sweet wonderful mouthfulls of cherry balanced with a light wheat spice. Best sevred and drank ice cold. I hate to give a 5 but this is godly nectar to me, only two other beers I have ever had warrent 5's but this is one.

M- A nice coating just enough, not to much. with a decent linger.

D- I buy a six pack almost every friday. I rarely tire of it.

A beer for lovers of fruit and sweetness. Hop fans may want to look elsewhere. Sorry to gush. Great with desserts or just to add a sweet counterpart to a meal.

4.55/5  rDev +44.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 5

This is one of my favorites. I've tasted many fruit flavored beers and Cherry Wheat does it right.

4.54/5  rDev +44.6%

So I used to think this was just OK until I took a tour at Sam Adams, my sister had given me a goodie from her law school and apparently most of the tour guides were law students they let us stay after the tour and when they "washed" out my sample glass they poured me the cherry wheat on draft and it blew my mind. It's upsetting that the stuff outside of boston comes from a diffrent brewery.

4.53/5  rDev +44.3%

Poured into standard beer glass, light head, and light amber color. Excellent aroma, refreshing and flavorful. Taste is just like the smell, great wheat base with the crisp cherry notes. The perfect ratio of beer to cherry, not to much, not to little. A great beer to have year round.

4.52/5  rDev +43.9%

A guilty pleasure, this is one of my regular favorites. Think of a fermented cherry coke without the cola, add a touch of hops and a hint of whole wheat bread. Unlike many fruit beers I've tried, this gets the cherry flavor spot on!
This is one to serve to friends , family, colleauges, strangers!

4.48/5  rDev +42.7%

I picked up a sixpack of this for the holidays. When I read the label I was really excited. I could try a wheat beer from a company I know makes decent products from high quality ingredients. I had a really good experience with the first wheat beer I tried (Blue Moon Belgian White), and it had cherry in it to boot. It sounded perfect. When I actually tried it I was kind of disappointed. This may be made with wheat, but it is definately no Belgian style White. It was almost as heavy and bitter as Regular Sam Adams Lager. Anyway, since I haven't poured one out of the bottle yet, I rated the appearance at 3. I'm sure it is probably a decent looking brew, but until I know for sure its rating will be in the middle. When I do get around to pouring one in a glass I'll edit this review. Smell is pleasant, with some fairly strong but very clean malt, and of course cherries. Taste disappointed me at first since I was expecting the cherry against a background of light citrusy wheat beer instead of the rather heavier malt flavor strong enough to be typical of the regular Sam Adams Boston Lager. Still, on repeat samplings, the cherry blends nicely with the richer sweetness of the malted wheat. It's pleasant with rather weaker hop presence than either regular Sam Adams Boston Lager, or Sam Adams Light either. (This beer pluse those two represent my entire sampling of Boston Beer Co's products at this time) Like you'd expect from this company, even the relatively bland hops in this beer are still high quality. They fit the beer and they bring only good things to it, even though the cherries really main contributors to the flavor aside from the malt. Mouthfeel is very pleasant being a bit lighter than regular Sam, very similar to Saranac Lager. Drinkability is excellent. It gets a tiny bit thick towards the end, but its thirst quenching, easier to drink than regular Sam Adams, and seems to be improve the more I sample it. And it also seems to pair well with almost anything. I've had 3 different beers with pizza, chips and dip, and buffalo wings and each time it went great with the food. In conclusion, this very pleasant and fairly unique brew that's definately worth a try.

4.48/5  rDev +42.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

One of my favorite Sam Adams beers, good mix of wheat and cherry, cherry a little more present. Good aroma. Refreshing break from my last IPA binge

4.45/5  rDev +41.7%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass. In full disclosure, I will confess that I love cherries in general and cherry beer usuall receives high marks from me.

Appearance: hazy golden-orange color with some small floaties in it. Two-finger ivory head dissipated somewhat quickly but left an attractive lace.

Smell: mostly cherries but a hint of citrusy wheat aroma comes through. The cherries are nice and present but not overdone; I like it.

Taste: nice cherry flavor; there's also a nice rather dry bite toward the end as the fruit yields to the wheat. Delicious.

Mouthfeel: medium-light body with a nice, well-integrated carbonation which yields a nice creamy texture. Great!

Drinkability: I enjoy this beer a great deal and could drink sixer after sixer of it.

4.45/5  rDev +41.7%

This is tasty lighter brew with more than a hint of the fruit within. I found it to be very popular among the not-into-beer crowd. Goes down easy on a hot summer night.

4.44/5  rDev +41.4%

After I took only a few sips, I passed this beverage around to all my friends ranting on how great this beer tasted. I couldn't believe how strong the cherry taste was. My only issue with this beer is I only had two, but couldn't imagine trying to put down a whole six pack of these in one sitting.

4.44/5  rDev +41.4%

One of the first Samuel Adams beers I ever tried, it did not fail to impress (as most Sam Adams would from then on). An unusual idea for beer I would think, cherries amongst a wheat beer proved to be a pleasant surprise. From the aroma, to the exceptional taste, right down to the craving of the next sip, Sam Adams Cherry Wheat is always a recommendation I make when people are looking to dabble into new beers.

4.43/5  rDev +41.1%

Enjoy before date notched at September 07.

A- The appearance is a burnt orange, almost a dull brown. Very nice clarity. An eggshell white fluffy thick head forms, but dissipates relatively fast and settles to a long standing soap sudsy cap.

S- The smell predominately contains sweet cherries. Doesn't seem too complex.

T- has a sort of pale malt/alcohol backing I find in other Sam Adams beers, with some sweet cherry thrown in. I was cautious of a "medicinal" cherry taste as I've heard others describe in this beer, but I find the cherry to be pretty pleasant and easily drinkable. The sweet cherry gives way to a mildly tart finish.

M- A nice mouthfeel, I assume contributed by the wheat, because some of the other sam adams beers I find a little harsh on the tongue with carbonation. This is just lively enough to accompany the added body given by the wheat (though still fairly light in body).

D- No problem drinking this one, and I could see myself sessioning this a bit as well, though the cherry might be overwhelming after a couple.

4.42/5  rDev +40.8%

I poured into a pint glass to a half inch of head. It is golden and clear. It smells like maricino cherries. It has a sweet cherry taste with a solid wheat backbone. It is a great beer for enjoying after a day of weeding the garden. It really hits the spot.

"Tastes like cough syrup." - Trüb

But I say cherry cherry in your tree/jump down on the ground and make a pie with me. All right so those are obscure lyrics but this is a serious fruit beer. A wild dose of cherry extract and a toastiness that conjures up the taste of those cherry cordial cakes that come in a box of eight for $1.50. You may have foolhardy tastebuds and think otherwise and that is your right as an Orangutan-American just don't get all persnickety with me when I tell you that this is a top shelf cosmo-brew. Space helmet not included.

4.42/5  rDev +40.8%

The first time I had this was at a local restaurant and it was summer time. I was looking for a good wheat beer to go with the hogie that I ordered. The waitress said that the only one was the Sam Adams Cherry Wheat. I tried it and was suprised how good this one was, since I was going in blind. The cherry was there but not over powering with no after taste. This was a very smooth tasting beer. Left the mouth with a nice feeling, not to full. Enjoyed this so much that I went out the next day and bought a case. Great thirst quencher for any time of year !

4.4/5  rDev +40.1%

Nice cherry flavor, hops and pilsner upfront with a nice mellow cherry sweetness in the back, not cloyingly sweet; just right.

4.39/5  rDev +39.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Surprisingly on the darker side, with a definite cherry taste. Not as fruity as one might think though.

Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)