Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Cherry WheatSamuel Adams Cherry Wheat

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.30% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-25-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,130 | Hads: 3,651
4.2/5  rDev +29.6%

This is a favorite of mine that goes way back to when I first discovered good beer. It looks like a traditional wheat beer, but has a reddish tint and has little or no head. The smell of cherries invites you to drink this wonderful brew. The taste is also of cherries and a nice balance of wheat malt and just a tinge of hops. I am not usually fond of fruit beers, but this beer keeps me coming back for more. It is definitely drinkable. (437 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +29.6%

Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat has become one of my favorite beers from tap, and every time I'm at my local Buffalo Wild Wings, its always my first choice.

Appearance- Pours well from what I could see, the bartender was in the way (probably wasn't a beeradvocate!!). The head was thin, but kept throughout glass, and had a little wisp, which common to most wheat beers.

Smell- Though artificial, I do enjoy the cherry smell that comes with the beer. Sam Adams beers are known, as least according to my palate, for their distinct smells, and I can usually pick a Sam out of a crowd. The cherry does overpower any traditional beer smell though.

Taste- Being a huge fan of wheat beers, I fell in love with this brew and I still hold in high regard among my wheat beer scale. The cherry masks any initial bitterness, and the aftertaste is calm and doesn't linger.

Mouthfeel- As with most wheat beers, a smooth drink is apparent, and the cherry only makes things easier

Drinkability- I find the first and second glasses to be sufficient for myself, because the cherry does become overwhelming as you drink more and more of it. Went extremely well with the burger and fries I had. (1,175 characters)

4.19/5  rDev +29.3%

This is one of my staple summer beers since I first got the nerve to drink any beer with fruit flavoring quite a few years ago. This and #9 are my never fail fruit beers. I know these in no way compare to some of the hard core european fruit offerings, and well they shouldn't. This is closer to the mow the lawn beer and they go down so easy. The color is almost straw with a hint of copper tone. The head is fair and lively, not much lacing. The aroma is a beautiful cherry blended with a bit of cereal/wheat as one might expect. It smells crisp and it tastes much the same. A light and refreshing wash of pilsner-like flavor laced with a decided cherry sweetness. Somewhat dry but also a bit watery for a quenching libation that finishes with a tasteful tartness. Nothing very complex and easy to drink many. This is my light beer, vaguely soda-esque, but it retains it's beer integrity in my book. May be too soda like for some beer fans but it works for me. (962 characters)

4.17/5  rDev +28.7%

First time I had this was at the Food and Wine Expo at EPCOT. I was mostly drunk by the time I had it, but even in that state, I liked the beer immediately.

The next day I went back and had it first thing. As I was completely sober, I expected a different opinion, but it was even better.

There is a definite smell of cherries, not overpowering, but very, very noticeable. My mouth didn't find the beer as strongly flavored as my nose, but it certainly finishes with a hint of cherry.

I never was a fan of sweet or fruity beers, but I liked this for its easy drinkability. (576 characters)

4.17/5  rDev +28.7%

Poured from a bottle with Oct 06 freshness date. The color is a light orange with a good amount of rising bubbles. The head is nicely topped, off-white in color and rocky. It leaves a few rings and some specks of lace around the glass. The aroma hits you right after it is poured, from some distance away from the glass. I think it smells like a cherry pastry or cherry Coke as it is very sweet and pungeant. It does not smell at all like beer.

The taste is mostly cherry with some malts and hops in the back end. I detected a small amount of hop bitterness which rounds off the taste nicely. To me, this is a very refreshing and light tasting beer. I recommend it. (668 characters)

12 ounce bottle in Pilsner glass

A: Reddish hazelnut with almost no head and light lacing.

S: cherry slightly sweet. with slight lager overtone.

T: Cherry and Sam Adams Lager mix. A little hoppy. flavor stays, but in a good way.

M: Mouthfeel is thin and cherry flavor stays till the next mouthful.

D: Not the best, but for some reason I Love this beer.
Great with Spicy Wings!!! (383 characters)

4.17/5  rDev +28.7%

Probably my second, or first, favorite Sam. Appearances aside, the smell and taste are out of this world. I can't sense a bit of bitterness to this ale. I am not a fan of cherries per say, but this is a flavor explosion to say the least. Reminds me a lot of a non-craft type beer with the pale appearance and drinkability/mouthfeel. can't quite place what the scent is, but I like it. Could drink six-bangers till I black out.

Highly recommended. No, really recommended. (471 characters)

4.16/5  rDev +28.4%

Bought a six pack from Four Seasons Liquors. The beer settles with a thin head throughout, but with no real lacing. Clear, brown-red (not too amber-like) appearance. Aromas are potent cherry flavors with some thin grain hints. Not too overpowering, just right in potency. Taste is wicked good and sweet: those cherry/grain flavors are apparent and warmly wrapped around hops and malts. Mouthfeel is basic and allows it to be crisp but a little light. Overall, a really good fruit beer from Sam Adams. (500 characters)

4.16/5  rDev +28.4%

This is my favorite Sam Adams brew, just beating out the Hefe Weizen. The smell of cherries hits you as soon as you pour it; it has a medium to dark red color to go along with it and there wasn't much head. It's definitely sweeter than most fruity beers I've had. I drank it with a burger, and they went surprisingly well together. (331 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +28.1%

poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass. label notched at May 2011 for best taste.

a - Pours a nice reddish/mohogany color with one finger of nice white head with a bit of lacing and moderate carbonation.

s - Smells of cherries, wheat, bread, and fruity malts. Not as over-poweringly sweet as other berry& cherry brews I've tried.

t - Tastes of cherries, wheat, grain, bread, fruits. Does not taste like a sweet, syrupy soda like some others of tried. Kind of a nice dry finish.

m - Light body and high carbonation that tickles the tongue. Refreshing...

d - Very high drinability,not too sweet. The smell does not over-power the flavor as some berry/cherry/fruity brews do. Low ABV makes it easy to have a few and continue to function. I had 2 while preparing dinner...then 2 more with dinner. This beer went suprisingly well with a roasted herb chicken(cranberry sauce on the side), roasted potatoes & mixed veggies.
Then I had one with a slice of chocolate cake...delicious!

I found Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat tobe a versatile beer. Sweet enough to function as a dessert beer, but enough of all the the other things that make a wheat beer enjoyable! (1,165 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +28.1%

I've always thought of Sam Adams as a a sort of "starter" beer. None of their brews are bland by any means, but none are truly challenging either, if you know what I mean. I'm probably making that sound like a downfall, but in truth that's not always the case. Sometimes you want something that tastes plain good, but nothing you have to think about. Most of the Sam Adams line fits that bill perfectly for me.

This particular brew I happen to enjoy quite a bit. It pours a medium golden with a medium white head. The nose is particularly good, smelling very strong of cherries and maybe a little of the wheat character as well. The first sip is very nice, clean and crisp and with a strong cherry wallop followed quickly by the tart nature of cherries along with the wheat and a nice balanced almost lager-like quality. It is very very good. The aftertaste is smooth with more of the same tones present on first sip. Mouthfeel is nice and well balanced with a sort of dry character to it. Carbonation is definatly present in a healthy dose which adds to the pleasant tone of the brew. I should note though that the cherry taste is a bit overdone, which isn't really apparent until the brew warms a bit. After warming it has a slight artifical taste to it, not horrible, but still present. When cold though I think that part of it is masked a bit. This one I'm sure won't find any love with the hopheads or those who don't like sweet beers, because this one definatly sits squarely in that category.

Overall a very nice brew, in particular it will probably one I will enjoy fairly often, especially in the warmer months.

Uncle Hamish says: "Blooie' 'ell lad, whut are ye feedin' me now? Sweet tart wa'er?" (1,714 characters)

4.14/5  rDev +27.8%

This beer is a very mild flavored beer, with a noticeable cherry flavor. It has a cloudy wheat-like appearance and the wheat flavor is indeed also noticeable. This is one of my husband's favorite beers (and he considers it a "guilty pleasure" because it is artificially flavored.) It isn't very hoppy or malty. There are times when you want one of these, it quenches thirst well. (379 characters)

4.14/5  rDev +27.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - cloudy golden color with hints of light red. little froth head

S - tart cherry scent with light "artificial" sugar scent

T - Tart but sweet Michigan cherry with some light "artificial" sweetness to it, some nice wheat tastes inbetween.

M - Smooth, good carbonation, not thick or medicinal like the smell/taste dictates

D - Refreshing, not overy sweet and a different class of fruit beer from other brands. A very guilty pleasure. (437 characters)

4.14/5  rDev +27.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

When I opened this, I was amazed at just how much this beer smelled like sweet cherries. Honestly, it was like grenadine. As it opened up, a more tart aspect appeared, but it was still a fairly sweet nose.

Poured a cloudy, amber color in the glass with a fair head.

The taste was not quite as powerful. The dominant taste is indeed cherries. Again though, the taste is of a fairly sweet maraschino cherry character. I am not sure why I expected more of a tart flavor, but this one does not meet that expectation. This flavor is the body of the beer, with a small bit of wheat on the finish. Hops don't really play a role in this one.

Honestly, it tastes a lot like a basic lager with cherry juice in it. Not that it is a bad thing, though. It is pretty tasty, even if it is rather simple. It gets my stamp of approval. (822 characters)

4.13/5  rDev +27.5%

Poured from a 12 oz glass with November 2007 best-by date. Poured into a hefeweizen glass. Slightly hazy golden color with a foamy white head. Looks picture-perfect. Great retention. Smells of sweet cherries and honey. Flavors of the cherries, wheat, touch of honey. Not too complex, but still nice and clean to drink. Light-bodied mouthfeel. Very easily drinkable. Great summer beer. (384 characters)

4.13/5  rDev +27.5%

I've had this beer several times, but I tend to slack on my reviews so I'm finally getting to this one.

Pours well with nice retention and lace, something that is a common characteristic of the Boston Beer varieties.Although refreshing, I taste cherry syrup, but the draft versions seems to be a bit more natural tasting.I think it would be more interseting if this beer was bottle conditioned and had traditional wheat characteristics.Maybe I'll try a homebrew and do it that way.

A decent, balanced beer overall. (521 characters)

4.13/5  rDev +27.5%

It's a candy! It's a beer! It's a CANDY BEER! As George Washington fictitiously said, "I cannot tell a lie, it was I who cut down the cherry beer tree." Pours cloudy light red amber with cherry lollipop smell and you can immediately tell there is artificial flavor here, but what the hell. Wheat meets a candy treat in Sam Adams Cherry Wheat.

*Quench your sweet tooth.* (373 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +27.2%

This one pours a dark yellow with a tall white head that fades quickly. The smell is very strong, mostly cherries with some sweet notes. The taste is very similar, very sweet and strong, the cherries dominate this beer. Not much else comes out in this beer it is one dimentional but if you like that aspect you are set. I see this beer as a love it or hate it. I happen to love it, it is an easy drinker with a smooth crisp mouthfeel. Even though the cherry taste is strong it doesn't get annoying for me. As far as fruit beers, this is my favorite. I hope you like it as much as I do. Enjoy! (592 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +27.2%

Pours a hazy, lazy yellow with a small bubbly head, no retention and minimal lacing, barely even a crown on the glass.

Nose is sweet, bright cherries. The label says this is brewed with cherries and cherry flavor added, so some of the nose may be artificial.

Taste is smooth and easy, pleasant cherry taste and not anywhere near as sweet as it smells. Decent malt balance, a touch of yeast, and slightly more than average carbonation make this a genuine entry for a fruit flavored beer instead of just dumping in some fruit juice at the end and calling it so. A good beer to have with dessert and a fine session brew for the fall or spring. (646 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +27.2%

Pours pale amber in color with plenty of bubbles throughout. Has a big foamy white head that settles to a thin coating after a while.

The cherries practically jump out of the glass. It's really all I can smell with the exception of some light wheat malt and lots of sweetness. It's actually a very pleasant and inviting aroma.

The cherries are again in the forefront when you first taste it and are the predominant flavor throughout. There is also some some bready notes that give it almost a cherry muffin quality.

It's a light to medium body beer with a little sharpness from the carbonation. It has a very crisp and clean finish.

This beer is highly drinkable. Very refreshing and easy to drink. I remember the first time I had it, the flavors were off putting, but that was probably ten years ago when I was just getting into craft beer. I remember having it again at a beer dinner with some cherry cheesecake about 5 years ago and how well it went with the dessert. I haven't had it since and this time around I like it very much. (1,040 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +27.2%

Another beer leftover from my canoe trip. Those poor guys didn't get a chance to try some craft brew. Second out of my cooler is Sam Adams Cherry Wheat. I was looking forward to this one.

Appearance is good. A nice head that lingers for a while.

Smell is one of the best I've sampled. A strong cherry aroma.

Taste is good. The cherry flavor is out front and almost overpowers the other ingredients. Gives a slight cherry aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is good. Feels like a good beer.

This is my first fruit beer I've ever tasted. I could enjoy a few of these.This beer is good, but I still have this sense that there may be a few too many cherries in the brew. (668 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +27.2%

This beer is pretty fruity, but is still really good! It seems like a great summer beer, something I would like to drink while just relaxing. Obviously it's not the most manly of beverages, but another great beer from Sam Adams in my opinion; in fact one of their best seasonal beers (283 characters)

4.11/5  rDev +26.9%

Pours from the bottle amber yellow with sweet Cherry and Wheat smell. Has a very nice fruit cherry flavor not to sweet. Feels good in your mouth refreshing mild. Can't drink to many gets a littel sweet but is very drinkable for having two or three! I do not like real fruity Beers that much but I like this one all the way will get it again.
Beer Its Not Just A Beverage Its Food-! (381 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +26.5%

A: Golden/orange color, with about a half finger of head when poured. lace sticks around for a little while but eventually fizzles away

S: Traverse City cherries, oh yeah the good stuff. No hoppy smells here.. little sweet malt smell

T: Crisp and refreshing, sweet cherry bite with lots of cherry flavor with a medium amount of carbonation here.. cherry bready taste and feel at the end.. finishes smooth to me.

M: Refreshing.. Not too strong but just right. cleans right off the pallet with little lingering flavor..

Overall a great beer. Drink it year round if im not in the mood for a sam boston or a wild craft choice.. Easy to find wherever you are if your in a pinch and want something out of the ordinary. (718 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +26.5%

Don't know what it is but I really enjoy this beer. It is very refreshing with a nice blast of cherry but not overwhelming. It is a great summer/fall beer. Has a nice wheat/ale underlying taste. Not like a regular wheat beer but a definite light taste. Would go great with the right meal. (288 characters)

Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)