Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Cherry WheatSamuel Adams Cherry Wheat

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.30% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-25-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat Alström Bros
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a bottle a hazy amber gold with a light white head and light lacing.

The aroma is cherries all the way. Brings back memories of the Smith Bros. cherry cough drops I had as a kid.

Taste is of bitter cherries with an even more bitter metallic finish.

Mouthfeel is light with a quite fizzy carbonation.

I'm finding it hard to get past the bitter metal taste of this beer. Definitely not going to be a favorite of mine..

Monkeyknife, Sep 09, 2007
2.8/5  rDev -10.5%

Pours a very pleasant amber with honey touches near the edges. Nice 2 finger head that fades to a thin layer, with very pleasant lacing.

The smell is fantastic of cherry, almost similar to cherry lifesavers. Which on it's own is very nice, very little smell of "beer" in the traditional sense.

The initial taste is not bad at all, but is very very strong of cherry. Suggestions of vanilla, but little in the way of traditional beer taste here, if it exists, the cherry blocks out the sun.

Feels like a standard wheat beer on the tongue, good carbonation, not too thick, not too thin, but undistinguished.

Two hours after drinking this, I was still trying to find things to get the brutal aftertaste out of my mouth. It leaves a very sickly sweet feeling, and thus makes this beer something to be avoided for now. I honestly think this one needs a retooling, tone down the cherry, make it less dominant, allow the other flavors to mingle more. If they could make the taste subtle (like Stoney Creek does with their vanilla porter) i would have been happier.

CultureJamMN, Jan 23, 2006
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

This beer pours a ever so slightly hazy gold-orangish color with a one finger white head left on top. Decent head retention and wispy lacing left on the glass. The nose is cherries, cherries, cherries - maracchino cherries, and just a touch of a malt backbone to it. Taste is overwhelmingly cherry. I am definitely a fan of fruity beer, but the cherry flavoring dominates the taste to a point of distraction - perhaps because it almost an artificial cherry taste. There are slight notes of malts in this beer, but not enough to even remotely balance out the cherry. On the lighter side of medium bodied, medium to high carbonation that works well for this beer, slightly creamy with a dry finish to it. Many years ago, I had tried this beer and loved it, oh how the palate changes. This is a beer that you could have one of, anything more would be far too sweet.

Jayli, Jun 19, 2009

355ml bottle poured into pint glass 29/8/12

A golden yellow with lots of bubbles that grow as they rise too a thin film that never really falls and leaves a partial ring of lace

S maraschino cherry flavored cough syrup and a little honey

T reminds me of Cherry Neo Citron poured over cereal, not as bad as it sounds but still far from good

M thin and airy, fake cherry flavor lingers for quite some time

O reminds me more of medicine then beer, drinkable but I wasen´t craving another

I normally like Sam Adams but this one was nothing too write home about, even in the sweltering heat one was enough

wordemupg, Aug 31, 2012
2.8/5  rDev -10.5%

First beer reviewed out of a Sam Adams glass so I figure it should be one of their products.
Pours a nice clear light straw color with a one finger head and quickly falling lace.
Smells of wild cherry soda, with a little beer in the mix..very sweet in the nose. Tastes of fresh cherry with a mildly malty backing and a fairly bitter finish. Not muck other than cherry and slight bitterness .
Mouthfeel is light.

dmamiano, Aug 09, 2007

APH, Jul 22, 2013
2.8/5  rDev -10.5%

Appearance: Pours a slightly-hazy copper with a white foamy head that thins to a persitent layer. Large bubbles stream from the bottom of the glass.

Smell: Very strong and overpowering candy-like cherry aromas.

Taste: Light cherry flavor upfront, that fades into an American-style-wheat-beer flavor in the finish. The cherry flavor is present throughout and while not overpowering is a little cough-syrupy. The finish is grainy with little bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Light to moderate carbonation, smooth with a lightly dry finish.

Drinkability: Refreshing aside from the slight cough syrup flavor.

EPICAC, May 30, 2006
2.8/5  rDev -10.5%

Welcome the coming of Spring with this light and cheerful beer.

I poured this into a pint glass and thought "oooh, pretty" looking at the amber color and half finger of light head.

The aroma was mostly wheat from the bottle, but when poured the cherry was very prominent.

The taste was not that good. After a good sized-gulp there's an aftertaste that is almost on the sour side. It's actually a bit hard to swallow.

Edit ~ Upon further reviewing, I found out that cherry wheat does not settle well in the stomach when it follows a thick red, namely a St. Rouge Red.

DesMoinesMike, Apr 13, 2008

joshwindholz, Aug 15, 2014
2.8/5  rDev -10.5%

Cherry wheat should have been tasty, instead it tastes a little bit like medicine beer. Medicine like the liquid stuff my mom used to feed me when I was a kid. Once you get passed that odd taste, the rest of it isn't so bad. Maybe I just have some sort of bad association with that particular flavor.

TheRealBigC, Aug 02, 2012
2.8/5  rDev -10.5%

Not bad for a fruit beer, but the cherry flavor is a little cloying. I enjoyed drinking one, but I don't think I could really drink more than one in a sitting. However, in my limited experience with cherry beers, I've found the beer/cherry combination doesn't do a whole lot for me, unless it's incredibly subtle. I prefer beer that tastes like beer instead of jolly ranchers.

jenbys2001, May 05, 2008
2.81/5  rDev -10.2%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Poured into a shaker pint glass.

Look: Cloudy burnt peach colored body, fizzy eggshell colored head that only leaves a ring, no lacing or film on top.

Aroma: Cherries definitely come through nicely, faint malts.

Taste: Immediate cherry sweetness and tartness, grainy cereal notes fill out the palate. A pretty sour finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with a lot of bright carbonation, not very smooth.

Overall: It tastes like a cherry wheat beer. The cherry component is really spot-on, the rest of the beer is rough around the edges.

JuicesFlowing, Mar 20, 2014
2.83/5  rDev -9.6%

Bottle given me by a friend. Freshness dated for July, so should be no problems there.

Pours a cloudy light orange, maybe a little less cloudy than I tend to associate with wheat beers. Head is nice, dissipating fairly quickly but leaving plenty of lace behind.

Smell is big round sweet cherry ... almost with overtones of marzipan or almond to me, very sweet. Doesn't really grab me that much.
The taste starts with more of the same big sweet cherry (whoever called it "maraschino" pretty much nailed it.)
Then the cherry retreats for a while and gives you some nice wheaty spiciness ... then it comes back a bit for a touch of maraschino aftertaste.

The label says this is made with "real cherries and cherry flavor."
Even though I really have no idea, I'm gonna suggest that the "cherry flavor," whatever it is, is to blame here.
The sweetness here is not a flavor I associate with unsweetened, straight-from-the-tree cherries.
It's not horribly cloying ... it's just not that subtle, and maybe just a little bit Triaminic-ish in combination with the wheat.

I like and respect the Brewer-Patriot, but I really didn't find this one of his more outstanding offerings.
I give it points for appearance and mouthfeel, and on a hot summer day I suppose I could put down a couple around the barbecue. But I don't quite think Sam Adams nailed what a really good cherry wheat could be.

elsinore, May 26, 2006
2.83/5  rDev -9.6%

Final 12oz from the summer mix pack.. poured into my shaped Sam Adams glass.

1" head dies leaving no lacing atop a hazy lite golden brew.

Aroma is cherry sucrets.. nothing else... smells artificial.

Flavor is the same.. cherry cough syrup.. just doesn't taste "real". Some wheat and pale malts... and some sweetness to make sure that you taste cherry and little else. Body is lite with quite a bit of carbonation.

I make no apologies on this one... it may be okay for someone who is trying to break into craft beer.. but there is waay too much cherry (artificial) flavors to be enjoyable to me.

JohnGalt1, Jun 30, 2008
2.83/5  rDev -9.6%

The only two good things I can say about this beer are that it has a nice amount of wheat in it and it has a decent color. I hate beers that skimp out on the wheat when they say they are in fact wheat beers. This beer does not skimp out, but that's about all it has going for it. The taste and the smell are just bombarded with cherry's, the taste even more than the smell. It's almost to the point where you don't want to drink it, but at the same time it's just cherry's, so it isn't THAT horrible. It just didn't really taste like much of a beer, more like a cherry soda. Just not a very good beet in my book.

MaltsOfGlory, Jan 13, 2011
2.83/5  rDev -9.6%

Nice long lasting creamy head, glittering opaque orange color body. The smell is of artificial cherry, like cherry yogurt. Cherry yogourt in the taste with some peaches and hints of sourness. The mouthfeel is creamy and round, with a low carbonation. The artificial aromas and flavors are quite annoying. I wouldn't want to have another one. Then again, I don't really like cherry.

tjd25, Jun 13, 2004
2.83/5  rDev -9.6%

Pours a very cool orange color with a pretty dense head with very tiny bubbles.

Aroma is cherries all the way but not like fresh cherries, more like a jar of marrachino cherries, it is really too overbearing. Taste is not so bad but the aroma really takes over before you can even get the beer into your mouth. I actually had to hold my nose and take a drink just to get a better taste of the beer without the aroma. Taste is also cherries but much more muted than the smell. You get a bit more of the crisp flavor from the malts and a bit of spicyness from the hops. Overall I really did not enjoy this beer, it smells like they just poured jars of marachino cherries into the fermenter and although the flavor was not bad I would need to drink this with a straw to really get any enjoyment from it.

kgotcher, Jul 24, 2006
2.83/5  rDev -9.6%

This somewhat hazy straw-colored beer has a nice dense very white head atop it. The nose is dominated by cherries, but it smells more like cherry syrup than actual cherries. Highly sweet flavor, resembling cherry cough syrup, and little else of note. Bleagh.

I was in the mood for a cherry beer, but I picked the wrong one with this offering. I love cherries and have brewed with them myself on occasion. This is not a good cherry beer, by any measurement.

allengarvin, Sep 19, 2009
2.83/5  rDev -9.6%

Poured a 12 oz. bottle into a boston lager glass. The appearance and aroma are probably the most alluring parts of this beer. It pours solid amber, perhaps with hints of a cherry color, with a solid head you would expect from a wheat beer. There is no hinting cherry in the aroma. Cherry is the aroma, which is actually a perfectly natural breeze of strong cherry scents. I do feel as though I am sticking my nose into a bag of fresh cherries from my farmers market, rather than a big whiff of cherry grenadine or something of that nature. Unfortunately for me, the flavor profile doesn't deliver in quite the same way. The mouthfeel is crisp and refreshing, if slightly watery. And the carbonation is a little aggressive for me. The cherry flavor and sweetness are very one note and reminiscent of a cherry 7 up, which isn't a positive factor for me. The commercial description mentions that they added honey for additional sweetness. It wasn't necessary. Overall, this beer is a little too cloying for me to consider drinking more than one. This is sad, because the use of Traverse City cherries earned points with me before I ever even tasted it.

GregoryVII, Jun 02, 2010
2.83/5  rDev -9.6%

Pours a interesting lager like yellow with a hint of red, adequate head. Actually smells like cherries, surprisingly enough. Taste is only meh. True enough, cherries are a distinct flavor along with the hops, and reasonably complex. The trouble is, for me the whole package just doesn’t do anything for me. I don’t feel the cherry taste complements the beer in any way, it just overrides it. Cheers to Sam Adams for trying an interesting brew to say the least, but nothing special here.

RocketWidget, Jan 06, 2004
2.83/5  rDev -9.6%

Appearance: Hazy gold, good head.

Smell: Cherries--smells like a lollipop instead of fresh cherries.

Taste: Some yeasty breadiness, a sweet then tangy cherry flavor.

Drinkability: I'll finish the two in the sampler pack and probably never have it again.

Picked up the Sam Adams fall sampler to try some more from their vast line of products. The cherry wheat follows the other fruit-infused wheats they've put out over the years, but tastes more artificial than the others. Not too good.

Mdog, Sep 27, 2009

[Best served in a Flute Glass]

Poured amber-orange in color with a small fizzy head that dissapated rapidly with nice lacing. The aroma was overwhelming with cherries and a hint of sweet yeast. It tasted sweet with a very strong cherry flavor. Mouthfeel was light in body and watery in texture. Overall nothing special, nice on a hot summer day.

KajII, Mar 10, 2011
2.83/5  rDev -9.6%

Smells like cherry flavored cough drops to me, but I think smell is overrated anyway. I've had plenty of excellent cheeses that smell like a marathoner's jock strap. I like the cloudy, mysterious amber color, although the head is on the thin side. And yep, it tastes like a cherry flavored wheat beer to me. The cherry flavor actually takes about a half second to hit you, and isn't overpowering like too many fruit beers, but it is still a little on the strong side. Subtlety is best with the fruit beers. A little harsh going down, but drinkable. Not my favorite, but it's still good for a quaff now and then.

scriabin, Apr 06, 2004
2.83/5  rDev -9.6%

Poured a clear amber-gold with a 1/2 inch head that retained fairly well. Aroma was noticeable upon popping the cap, as a soda-like cherry aroma first presented itself. Upon further aromatic detction however i found the aroma to contain a bit of wheat like malt and a lot of artificial smelling cherry. The flavor is a lot better than the aroma as the cherry flavor is a lot more subdued than the aroma might let on. The flavor begins with a tight melding of cherry, carbonic bite, and dry wheaty malt. It soon segues into just malt and leaves a cereal taste almost like cheerios to linger in the mouth. The body is way too light and this beer could use a little higher mash temperature. The drinkability is quite subjective and personally i would go for an Apricot ale from Pyramid instead of another cherry wheat as it is a bit too soda-like and is definetly a beer for those who don't like beer but like alcopops.

RenoZymurgist, Oct 06, 2004
2.84/5  rDev -9.3%

CHIMat, Oct 13, 2014
Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)