Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Cherry WheatSamuel Adams Cherry Wheat

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.30% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-25-2001

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 3,552 | Reviews: 1,135
2.87/5  rDev -8.6%

Pours a very pleasant amber with honey touches near the edges. Nice 2 finger head that fades to a thin layer, with very pleasant lacing.

The smell is fantastic of cherry, almost similar to cherry lifesavers. Which on it's own is very nice, very little smell of "beer" in the traditional sense.

The initial taste is not bad at all, but is very very strong of cherry. Suggestions of vanilla, but little in the way of traditional beer taste here, if it exists, the cherry blocks out the sun.

Feels like a standard wheat beer on the tongue, good carbonation, not too thick, not too thin, but undistinguished.

Two hours after drinking this, I was still trying to find things to get the brutal aftertaste out of my mouth. It leaves a very sickly sweet feeling, and thus makes this beer something to be avoided for now. I honestly think this one needs a retooling, tone down the cherry, make it less dominant, allow the other flavors to mingle more. If they could make the taste subtle (like Stoney Creek does with their vanilla porter) i would have been happier.

2.87/5  rDev -8.6%

12 oz bottle poured into a pint glass at cellar temperature.

L - Deep gold color with a 1-finger white, creamy head. Pretty good retention for not that big of a head and great lacing. Tons and tons of carbonation bubbles. Very effervescent.

S - Smells like Maraschino cherries, not the natural Traverse City that the label talks about. I’m trying to pick up the wheat and hops here, but all I can get is the slightest hint of wheat malt. This thing is all cherry.

T - The taste delivers much more than the aroma. Starts of sweet with honey and cherries (real cherries this time), climbs to a spicy level of wheat malt and yeast, and finishes with flavors of earthy hops and bready malt.

F - Medium-bodied with not nearly as much carbonation as the appearance suggests, a creamy mouthfeel, and a very dry finish. Bready malt flavors linger for a little while.

O - This is an average fruit beer. It’s a average wheat beer with an average amount of cherries. It’s still pretty tasty and much better than the nose suggests, but there’s just not enough of anything here to bring it to a higher level. It’s one of the weaker beers in the Sam Adams catalogue, but definitely still drinkable.

2.88/5  rDev -8.3%

Poured from 12 ounce bottle into weizen glass.

Appearance - Pale orange, slightly cloudy, thin white head, no retention

Smell - Cherries with a hint of more cherries

Taste - Bright and tart cherry, no hops, no wheat either. Cherry soda almost for flavor profile, minus the cola

Mouthfeel - Light, acidic with good carbonation

Drinkability - Very easy to consume, lawnmower or beach bum beer, i.e. great for the summer. Not sure why it's in the Fall sampler pack.

2.88/5  rDev -8.3%

Pours a clear, pale yellow. One inch head with good retention and lacing. Smells strongly of cherry flavoring (reminiscent of cough syrup). Fits the style unfortunately. There is a smooth and crisp mouth feel (unlike a thick syrup). Average carbonation levels. There is a cherry syrup flavoring that is very strong. Designated as a desert beer and that is the only way I could drink another one of these. There is an associated tartness that makes is hard to drink. Overall, not that great of a combination (cherry + beer).

2.88/5  rDev -8.3%

A normal golden lager type color with a medium white head that leaves some lacing. Aroma of cherry cough drops and honey, Flavor is much the same, a strong artifical cherry taste with some ok honey notes as it warms, way too sweet for me.
I loved this stuff when I first got into craft beer,but now I pass on it if possible,just too sweeet for me now I think. Love most of Sam's other stuff though.

2.88/5  rDev -8.3%

pours an orangeamber color with an ok head with ok retention

smells purely of fake cherries. I don't find the cherry smell to be very real, smells as if it's goign to taste like a cherry soda. No beer smell to be found

Taste is sweet but not in a truly cherry way (hard to detect the actual flavors). That and the wheaty stale bready taste is all this beer has to offer.

Mouthfeel is very sticky (since its quite sweet) and carbonated.
Drinkability is low, i drank three of these in a row and felt sorta sick from all the sweetness by the end. An alright brew.

12 oz bottle into a Paulaner Weisbier glass

A - Poured aggressively because the glass is actually designed for a .5L weisbier. Ended up with an exciting rush of bubbles that settled into about 3 fingers of frothy white head. A touch of pink, maybe. The beer itself is a surprisingly clear golden amber color. The head retention is pretty good, a thin layer lasts throughout, and there is some decent lacing.

Bottle artwork is typical Sam Adams fair. I appreciate the explanation about the cherries being local but am wary of the "natural flavors added." There's also a freshness date - best before April 2012.

S - Smells like cherries and sugary almonds... but has an artificial flavor that reminds me of medicine, or maybe cherry flavored candy... It's hard for me to decide if I really enjoy this smell or not.

T - Taste truly follows the aroma, a little fuller in the almond flavor. More medicinal. However, this profile is more enjoyable on the tongue than in the nose. (fiance felt the opposite about this point)

M - Thin and watery. I know this is listed as a fruit beer, but it's also a wheat beer. It's lacking in that department.

O - Kind of underwhelming. No need to avoid it, and if this kind of thing appeals to you I imagine it could be somebody's favorite. Definitely not mine. I wish it was better because I love fruit beers and wheat beers - this should have been a slam dunk. Oh well.

2.88/5  rDev -8.3%

Welcome the coming of Spring with this light and cheerful beer.

I poured this into a pint glass and thought "oooh, pretty" looking at the amber color and half finger of light head.

The aroma was mostly wheat from the bottle, but when poured the cherry was very prominent.

The taste was not that good. After a good sized-gulp there's an aftertaste that is almost on the sour side. It's actually a bit hard to swallow.

Edit ~ Upon further reviewing, I found out that cherry wheat does not settle well in the stomach when it follows a thick red, namely a St. Rouge Red.

[Best served in a Flute Glass]

Poured amber-orange in color with a small fizzy head that dissapated rapidly with nice lacing. The aroma was overwhelming with cherries and a hint of sweet yeast. It tasted sweet with a very strong cherry flavor. Mouthfeel was light in body and watery in texture. Overall nothing special, nice on a hot summer day.

2.88/5  rDev -8.3%

A-Clear brown with a two finger head. disspates down to a nice slick of cream couloured bubbles. Lacing is minimal

S sweet cherries and not much else

T. Sweet cherries overpower any hops and malt. Not bad but it doesn't do much for me. A little more twang would do good.

M-light bodied and medium carbonaion.

D-For what it is it isn't awful but not really my cup of tea. I would like a little more than cherries

2.88/5  rDev -8.3%

Poured from a 12oz brown bottle.

Pours a burnt orange color. There is some sediment in the bottle which when swirled up turns it to a cloudy burnt orange color. Not much of a head, but has some nice lacing.

The aroma is sweet like cherries, which seems to be the dominant aroma, can't really detect anything else in there. The cherry smell is almost artificial like candy.

Taste is interesting. There is a nice wheat flavor at the start which yields a subtle taste of cherries. There are also some malt flavors as well. The finish is a bit wheaty with some bitterness. Good mouthfeel, but maybe a bit much on the carbonation. It is very drinkable, would be good for summer.

Overall this is decent, but nothing spectacular.

2.89/5  rDev -8%

12oz bottle (best by 05/2011) poured into a tumbler glass.

Appearance: Pale amber - clear- head dissipated very fast leaving practically no foam at all. No lacing either.

Smell: Cherry smell strong but not overpowering. Indeed, there is a Michigan cherry smell to this - reminds me of the cherries available in the stands near Traverse city in the summer. But...that cherry smell is the only smell here. It reminds me a bit of a soda in a way - malts and hops are completely missing here - just the cherry smell. So knowing it for what it is - I like the cherry smell, but if this was handed to me and had to guess it was a beer by smell, I never would have guessed. I would have guessed some sort of soda or cherry sparkling water.

Taste: Sweet but not cloying cherry, and that's it. No wheat flavors, and really can't call it much of a beer. I would almost, almost, call it something more akin to a malt beverage "wine cooler" than a beer. I like cherry just fine, but I wanted a beer with more to it.

Mouthfeel: Fizzy in carbonation, again has a soda-like feel but thickness not as sticky as a soda. Sticks to the teeth a bit.

Overall / Drinkability: No, I don't see myself having this again. Too much like a cherry, um..., well, it's not a beer. I can't put my finger on it exactly. It sort of looks like one, but doesn't smell, taste, or feel like one. A weird beer and I'm not sure that I like it. I'll stick to cherry flavor well blended into a Belgian or into a cobbler or pie - not as this beer. Oh well - not everything can be great.

2.89/5  rDev -8%

This beer is a once in a while thing, I could not drink this regularly. Poured with beautiful white head. The body was hazy with large particles averagely dispursed. There was almost no carbonation and the body hue was a moderately darker golden brown. This beer is rightly named. The aroma was thick with dark cherries that overpowered almost every other scent, although there was a light yeast at the bottom. The flavor was again overpowered by dark cherries that was heavily/harshly sweet with a light bitterness towards the end. The finish was average length with a tiny amount of bread and very acidic. The palate was a medium body with a watery and creamy texture and soft carbonation.

2.89/5  rDev -8%

12 oz. bottle poured into pint glass.

A: Slightly cloudy light amber with a substantial white head. Doesn't look too shabby.

S: Smells purely like cherries.

T: Thankfully not as cherry forward as the smell. It starts off fairly cherry forward, but slowly subsides to a more husky grain and wheat taste. No hops to speak of. Kind of a weird off taste at the end.

M: Creamy. Medium-thick. A bit too full in my opinion. Hurts drinkablity.

O: I salute the creativeness of this one, but the execution is lacking. This is a cherry forward wheat beer. I think a better idea would to have a wheat beer with cherry notes. This one is too heavy on the cherries.

It's not horrible, though....

2.9/5  rDev -7.6%

Pours very nicely, wheat yellow in color. Nice head and lacing, typical of SA. The smell is very appealing. It smells of cherries, but not overpoweringly so. Taste is rich and smooth, somewhat sweet. You get the cherry and wheat flavors mingling well. This is a special occasion beer, in my unsophisticated opinion. Great price for a beer of this caliber.

2.9/5  rDev -7.6%

I really wanted to like this beer. I enjoy wheat beer. I enjoy cherries. Sam Adams has a respected reputation. It seemed like a winning combination. In the end though it just missed the mark for me.

Appearence - What I saw was a medium to light golden hue, maybe just a little hazy.

Smell - Tart Cherries. The overriding smell I got was a very strong sense of the cherry.

Taste - This is where it derailed a bit for me. Cherry Wheat started out very smooth, with little to no bitterness to speak of. On my first taste I was optimistic, then the cherry hit me. I was expecting something along the lines of a hint of cherry, or maybe a subtle weaving of the flavor profile into the overall taste similer to what Shiner achieved with the peach notes in their Holiday Cheer offering. Instead there was a very strong cherry follow to the beer, that seemed reminiscint of cherry cough syrup. I loved the smoothness, but just can't get past strength of the cherry.

Mouthfeel - I enjoyed the way this felt on the pallet. It had a medium mouthfeel that seemed extremely well balanced. My only complaint here would be that the carbonation is just slightly more than I prefer. That is really very minor and doesn't detract from the feel at all.

Overall - Probably not a beer I will be revisiting, but given the flavor profile I'm sure there are those that will really enjoy it.

[Edit]
Had this last night with the fiancee and it was much better than I remembered. The smell was not as "fake" this time around and the taste was pleasant and the mouthfeel was def. better than my prior 2.5. However, drinkability wise I still would not have more than one of these in a sitting.

Appearance - When you pour the beer, it pours a hazy golden color with just a bit of head.

Smell - As someone so eloquently put it "Cherry flavored cough medicine with a little bit of malt."

Taste - Honestly, it reminds me of cherry cough drops I use to take as a child (ludens).

Mouthfeel - Overall good carbonation and medium bodied.

Drinkability - I have grown to love seasonal releases from Sam Adams but I will say this is on the bottom of my list of Sam Adams I have tried.

I bought a six pack and am trying to get rid of it. I can barely drink two of these at a time without getting a sickly taste in my mouth (as stated, they remind me of ludens cough drops which probably does not invoke the most pleasant memories hence my not liking this beer). I am very disappointed because I had high hopes for this beer. Some of my best childhood memories were spent in Michigan so when I saw they were made with Michigan cherries I was genuinely excited to try this beer. Too bad it is not what I thought it was going to be. Oh well, I guess I just have to wait for fall/winter when my favorite Sam Adam seasonals come out!

2.9/5  rDev -7.6%

A - Very pale orange, almost clear around the edges with lots of bubbles rising up. Head is offwhite and fades steadily to an eighth inch and retains nicely. Lacing is slightly above average, sticking in sporadic patches.

S - Very sweet cherry juice with some earthy wheat stalk, but honestly you couldn't tell the difference between this and some cherry juice.

T - Taste is disappointingly bland. Starts very thin, both in texture and taste, slightly sweet, slightly sour and there's not much else you can coax out of this beer until swallowing. Finish is a nice crisp cherry.

M - Thin consistency and a good amount of carbonation. Crisp and summery but with very little body.

D - Looks good, smells..good...but this beer has very little taste to it.

2.9/5  rDev -7.6%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)