Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Cherry WheatSamuel Adams Cherry Wheat

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.30% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-25-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat Alström Bros

12 oz bottle into a Paulaner Weisbier glass

A - Poured aggressively because the glass is actually designed for a .5L weisbier. Ended up with an exciting rush of bubbles that settled into about 3 fingers of frothy white head. A touch of pink, maybe. The beer itself is a surprisingly clear golden amber color. The head retention is pretty good, a thin layer lasts throughout, and there is some decent lacing.

Bottle artwork is typical Sam Adams fair. I appreciate the explanation about the cherries being local but am wary of the "natural flavors added." There's also a freshness date - best before April 2012.

S - Smells like cherries and sugary almonds... but has an artificial flavor that reminds me of medicine, or maybe cherry flavored candy... It's hard for me to decide if I really enjoy this smell or not.

T - Taste truly follows the aroma, a little fuller in the almond flavor. More medicinal. However, this profile is more enjoyable on the tongue than in the nose. (fiance felt the opposite about this point)

M - Thin and watery. I know this is listed as a fruit beer, but it's also a wheat beer. It's lacking in that department.

O - Kind of underwhelming. No need to avoid it, and if this kind of thing appeals to you I imagine it could be somebody's favorite. Definitely not mine. I wish it was better because I love fruit beers and wheat beers - this should have been a slam dunk. Oh well.

2.88/5  rDev -8.3%

Welcome the coming of Spring with this light and cheerful beer.

I poured this into a pint glass and thought "oooh, pretty" looking at the amber color and half finger of light head.

The aroma was mostly wheat from the bottle, but when poured the cherry was very prominent.

The taste was not that good. After a good sized-gulp there's an aftertaste that is almost on the sour side. It's actually a bit hard to swallow.

Edit ~ Upon further reviewing, I found out that cherry wheat does not settle well in the stomach when it follows a thick red, namely a St. Rouge Red.

[Best served in a Flute Glass]

Poured amber-orange in color with a small fizzy head that dissapated rapidly with nice lacing. The aroma was overwhelming with cherries and a hint of sweet yeast. It tasted sweet with a very strong cherry flavor. Mouthfeel was light in body and watery in texture. Overall nothing special, nice on a hot summer day.

2.88/5  rDev -8.3%

A-Clear brown with a two finger head. disspates down to a nice slick of cream couloured bubbles. Lacing is minimal

S sweet cherries and not much else

T. Sweet cherries overpower any hops and malt. Not bad but it doesn't do much for me. A little more twang would do good.

M-light bodied and medium carbonaion.

D-For what it is it isn't awful but not really my cup of tea. I would like a little more than cherries

2.88/5  rDev -8.3%

Poured from a 12oz brown bottle.

Pours a burnt orange color. There is some sediment in the bottle which when swirled up turns it to a cloudy burnt orange color. Not much of a head, but has some nice lacing.

The aroma is sweet like cherries, which seems to be the dominant aroma, can't really detect anything else in there. The cherry smell is almost artificial like candy.

Taste is interesting. There is a nice wheat flavor at the start which yields a subtle taste of cherries. There are also some malt flavors as well. The finish is a bit wheaty with some bitterness. Good mouthfeel, but maybe a bit much on the carbonation. It is very drinkable, would be good for summer.

Overall this is decent, but nothing spectacular.

2.89/5  rDev -8%

12oz bottle (best by 05/2011) poured into a tumbler glass.

Appearance: Pale amber - clear- head dissipated very fast leaving practically no foam at all. No lacing either.

Smell: Cherry smell strong but not overpowering. Indeed, there is a Michigan cherry smell to this - reminds me of the cherries available in the stands near Traverse city in the summer. But...that cherry smell is the only smell here. It reminds me a bit of a soda in a way - malts and hops are completely missing here - just the cherry smell. So knowing it for what it is - I like the cherry smell, but if this was handed to me and had to guess it was a beer by smell, I never would have guessed. I would have guessed some sort of soda or cherry sparkling water.

Taste: Sweet but not cloying cherry, and that's it. No wheat flavors, and really can't call it much of a beer. I would almost, almost, call it something more akin to a malt beverage "wine cooler" than a beer. I like cherry just fine, but I wanted a beer with more to it.

Mouthfeel: Fizzy in carbonation, again has a soda-like feel but thickness not as sticky as a soda. Sticks to the teeth a bit.

Overall / Drinkability: No, I don't see myself having this again. Too much like a cherry, um..., well, it's not a beer. I can't put my finger on it exactly. It sort of looks like one, but doesn't smell, taste, or feel like one. A weird beer and I'm not sure that I like it. I'll stick to cherry flavor well blended into a Belgian or into a cobbler or pie - not as this beer. Oh well - not everything can be great.

2.89/5  rDev -8%

This beer is a once in a while thing, I could not drink this regularly. Poured with beautiful white head. The body was hazy with large particles averagely dispursed. There was almost no carbonation and the body hue was a moderately darker golden brown. This beer is rightly named. The aroma was thick with dark cherries that overpowered almost every other scent, although there was a light yeast at the bottom. The flavor was again overpowered by dark cherries that was heavily/harshly sweet with a light bitterness towards the end. The finish was average length with a tiny amount of bread and very acidic. The palate was a medium body with a watery and creamy texture and soft carbonation.

2.89/5  rDev -8%

12 oz. bottle poured into pint glass.

A: Slightly cloudy light amber with a substantial white head. Doesn't look too shabby.

S: Smells purely like cherries.

T: Thankfully not as cherry forward as the smell. It starts off fairly cherry forward, but slowly subsides to a more husky grain and wheat taste. No hops to speak of. Kind of a weird off taste at the end.

M: Creamy. Medium-thick. A bit too full in my opinion. Hurts drinkablity.

O: I salute the creativeness of this one, but the execution is lacking. This is a cherry forward wheat beer. I think a better idea would to have a wheat beer with cherry notes. This one is too heavy on the cherries.

It's not horrible, though....

2.9/5  rDev -7.6%

Pours very nicely, wheat yellow in color. Nice head and lacing, typical of SA. The smell is very appealing. It smells of cherries, but not overpoweringly so. Taste is rich and smooth, somewhat sweet. You get the cherry and wheat flavors mingling well. This is a special occasion beer, in my unsophisticated opinion. Great price for a beer of this caliber.

2.9/5  rDev -7.6%

I really wanted to like this beer. I enjoy wheat beer. I enjoy cherries. Sam Adams has a respected reputation. It seemed like a winning combination. In the end though it just missed the mark for me.

Appearence - What I saw was a medium to light golden hue, maybe just a little hazy.

Smell - Tart Cherries. The overriding smell I got was a very strong sense of the cherry.

Taste - This is where it derailed a bit for me. Cherry Wheat started out very smooth, with little to no bitterness to speak of. On my first taste I was optimistic, then the cherry hit me. I was expecting something along the lines of a hint of cherry, or maybe a subtle weaving of the flavor profile into the overall taste similer to what Shiner achieved with the peach notes in their Holiday Cheer offering. Instead there was a very strong cherry follow to the beer, that seemed reminiscint of cherry cough syrup. I loved the smoothness, but just can't get past strength of the cherry.

Mouthfeel - I enjoyed the way this felt on the pallet. It had a medium mouthfeel that seemed extremely well balanced. My only complaint here would be that the carbonation is just slightly more than I prefer. That is really very minor and doesn't detract from the feel at all.

Overall - Probably not a beer I will be revisiting, but given the flavor profile I'm sure there are those that will really enjoy it.

[Edit]
Had this last night with the fiancee and it was much better than I remembered. The smell was not as "fake" this time around and the taste was pleasant and the mouthfeel was def. better than my prior 2.5. However, drinkability wise I still would not have more than one of these in a sitting.

Appearance - When you pour the beer, it pours a hazy golden color with just a bit of head.

Smell - As someone so eloquently put it "Cherry flavored cough medicine with a little bit of malt."

Taste - Honestly, it reminds me of cherry cough drops I use to take as a child (ludens).

Mouthfeel - Overall good carbonation and medium bodied.

Drinkability - I have grown to love seasonal releases from Sam Adams but I will say this is on the bottom of my list of Sam Adams I have tried.

I bought a six pack and am trying to get rid of it. I can barely drink two of these at a time without getting a sickly taste in my mouth (as stated, they remind me of ludens cough drops which probably does not invoke the most pleasant memories hence my not liking this beer). I am very disappointed because I had high hopes for this beer. Some of my best childhood memories were spent in Michigan so when I saw they were made with Michigan cherries I was genuinely excited to try this beer. Too bad it is not what I thought it was going to be. Oh well, I guess I just have to wait for fall/winter when my favorite Sam Adam seasonals come out!

2.9/5  rDev -7.6%

A - Very pale orange, almost clear around the edges with lots of bubbles rising up. Head is offwhite and fades steadily to an eighth inch and retains nicely. Lacing is slightly above average, sticking in sporadic patches.

S - Very sweet cherry juice with some earthy wheat stalk, but honestly you couldn't tell the difference between this and some cherry juice.

T - Taste is disappointingly bland. Starts very thin, both in texture and taste, slightly sweet, slightly sour and there's not much else you can coax out of this beer until swallowing. Finish is a nice crisp cherry.

M - Thin consistency and a good amount of carbonation. Crisp and summery but with very little body.

D - Looks good, smells..good...but this beer has very little taste to it.

2.9/5  rDev -7.6%

Poured a 12 oz. bottle into a boston lager glass. The appearance and aroma are probably the most alluring parts of this beer. It pours solid amber, perhaps with hints of a cherry color, with a solid head you would expect from a wheat beer. There is no hinting cherry in the aroma. Cherry is the aroma, which is actually a perfectly natural breeze of strong cherry scents. I do feel as though I am sticking my nose into a bag of fresh cherries from my farmers market, rather than a big whiff of cherry grenadine or something of that nature. Unfortunately for me, the flavor profile doesn't deliver in quite the same way. The mouthfeel is crisp and refreshing, if slightly watery. And the carbonation is a little aggressive for me. The cherry flavor and sweetness are very one note and reminiscent of a cherry 7 up, which isn't a positive factor for me. The commercial description mentions that they added honey for additional sweetness. It wasn't necessary. Overall, this beer is a little too cloying for me to consider drinking more than one. This is sad, because the use of Traverse City cherries earned points with me before I ever even tasted it.

2.9/5  rDev -7.6%

I've been drinking this one way before I was drinking craft beers. Had it again recently, as this was the only somewhat non-macro that was offered. It was an amber color with a small straw head. It smells like cherry and wheat, but artificial like. It has a good taste for just drinking beer. It is somewhat sour like, and sweet too. Had a nice hop finish. I see why I liked it so much when I was younger, and dumber. If there's not much else to order, I would stick with this one. It's not a bad beer, just average.

2.9/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Cherry Wheat LOOKS great. Other than that, it's a pretty mediocre beer. It pours a nice orange/amber/brown with a good frothy head. That as I suggested, may be the best part. The smell however, is also not too bad. Nothing but pure [carbonated] cherries. Those cherries hit your taste buds pretty immediately, are very sweet, and are very prominent throughout the drink, but you're left with an almost macro after taste. And like macros, it's pretty watery and kind of weak as well. At times it almost doesn't seem like a beer.

At first I didn't think I would be able to drink many of these, however after one and a half or so and my palate getting used to the sweet cherry overload, it's not very hard to drink at all, perhaps that's because it is pretty watery and weak. With that said, it's not a bad a beer to buy at a place that only carries macros, the big imports, Sam Adams and the like, but it definitely leaves something to be desired -- something that reminds you while you're drinking "oh yeah, this is beer I'm drinking".

2.91/5  rDev -7.3%

Cherry o my.
this beer smells like a cherry bomb. I guess that is good if your are into frutity beers or whatever. But its not really for me. The taste was also very cherrific. However, I did notice a wheat flavor too it that I liked somewhat. I can not drink SA's cranberry lambic but this is I can stand to a degree or two. It finishes secent enough and has a an alright mouthfeel. Not my first choice but ok.

2.91/5  rDev -7.3%

Ok, my first review so here it goes...bought the Cherry Wheat at the only place in town that carries microbrew beers.

A-Really pretty golden color when poured into the glass. About an inch or so of head. Looked really pretty in the glass.

S-STRONG smell of sweet cherries. Really got my hopes up on the intoxicating smell.

T-I could definitely taste the cherries in the beer, but to me it masked everything else, making it taste like tangy cough syrup beer. Made me want to cry slightly.

M-Wasn't too watery, but definitely was a lighter mouthfeel to me. I would say just about average.

D-To me, I couldn't get past a few sips of this beer. In this case, the smell was better than the taste. Hubby's drinking the rest.

2.92/5  rDev -7%

a: coudy golden amber color with eigth inch of head that dissapears fast leaving average amount of lacing
s: the cherry aroma is very strong, kind of overwhelming, I thought the sweet smell was too strong
t: the cherry flavor dominates the palate with only hints of the yeast flavor
m: light to medium bodied average carbonation

overall, this is not a beer that I will seek out again, its way too sweet in my opinion

2.92/5  rDev -7%

Before I drank beer, I remember having a roomate who raved that this was his favorite beer, and he truly missed it after having stopped drinking for a while...so I've wanted to try it, and I've stumbled across a freebie, so here goes. It's a pale color when a foamy head and is slightly cloudy due to the less-than filtered wheat style, I'm assuming. Looks good. Smells really delicious, like a fruit beer should, and was appealing to those who aren't beer purists in particular, as it smells legitimately fruity. I dug the aroma of cherry's being so strong and not seeming too artificial. The taste tough - up front its good, but right away I taste medicinal cherry cough syrup. I can't taste anything else after that, either. It's tart and not a sugar bomb, but not noticably hoppy...It's hard to want to call this a beer to be honest. You'll love it or you'll hate it as is. Not all that beer like, which is not necessarily a negative. But in taste alone (thinking of it as a desert drink), I couldn't enjoy this. Mouthfeel is medium-full bodied, not watery or light-beer like, but nothing full as other wheat beers. I wouldn't drink this again honestly...unless there was absolutely nothing else around, and I imagine there would be long periods of time between sips to help me forget just how medicinal it is, only to take another sip, remember...and not come back to it for a while or put it down unfinished. YMMV, but I cant get into it. Nice try, Sam.

2.92/5  rDev -7%

12 oz. bottle, poured into a snifter.

A: Light amber in color, fluffy, 1 1/2" head, leaving lots and lots of great lacing.

S: Maraschino and dark cherries really dominate this, to a fault. Hints of bready malt and yeast, maybe some candied sugar. The scent is really very one-dimensional, like someone poured grenadine in it.

T: Dark cherry tartness, some maraschino sweetness--but thankfully not a lot. Sugars, malt, and yeast--all very mild and far too subtle. Again, the taste is a bit one-sided, but not as much as the scent.

M: Light, almost hollow. Like everything else here, it's neither offensive nor exceptional. It just seems like a real lack of thought and effort went into this one.

D: Easy to drink, for sure, but so is a Long Island Iced Tea. This is not the fruit-brewed beer I would reach for--there are many, many better examples out there. That being said, if someone put a bottle in front of me, I would drink it without complaint.

The BBC has yet to impress me with its fruit characteristics in any of its beers. Like the gorgeous girl at the party whose favorite song is the new Chingy single, this is darn good looking, but you wouldn't want to live with it.

2.92/5  rDev -7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance: Really nice pour with wheat colors and slight hint of rust and very thin lacing.

Smell: Smell is actually really good of a wheat beer with hints of the cherry coming through.

Taste: The cherry is very powerful on the first sip and to me almost too powerful. However, it ends nicely and the cherry becomes less strong in the after taste. Problem is after a while the cherry becomes pretty bitter and the bitterness gets stronger the more you drink. It's actually a little off putting.

Mouthfeel: It's not too carbonated and actually pretty smooth.

Drinkability: This is really a type of beer that must be had with food and it should be a desert. Even with that said, I found it hard to go through my whole pint because the bitterness of the beer really got to me. So it's sort of good for novelty sake, but can't see myself drinking more then one in a night.

Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)