Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Cherry WheatSamuel Adams Cherry Wheat

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.30% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-25-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,618 | Reviews: 1,166
1.48/5  rDev -52.9%

Picture a jar of those super red Marsachio (sp?) cherrys. That's EXACTLY what this terrible beer smells like. The taste...well it's very similar to a bottle of cough syrup.

I couldn't believe that a reputable brewer like Samual Adams would produce such a terrible obnoxious tasting beer. I was very shocked. Especially because I was having it at a Sam Adams tasting. Oh well.

1.5/5  rDev -52.2%

Tastes like Sam Adams with Cherry cough syrup poured in it. Not for me.

1.5/5  rDev -52.2%

I'm going to have to give up on fruit beers. Opening the bottle I was overwhelmed with the smell of cherry cough syrup. The pour was ok, nice hazy reddish amber color. All I could taste was artificial cough syrup cherry flavor. Mouthfeel seemed ok but this is a beer that I could not finish.

1.53/5  rDev -51.3%

I was very excited to try this beer. I thought that cherry and wheat would be a good mix and this lead to high hopes of something great. I poured it into the glass and took a whiff...nearly throwing up because of the cherry cough drop smell. The taste was very similar to the smell, reminiscent of cherry cough drops. I had the beer again after a year, hoping that the first bottle was just a bad batch, but the second taste was the same...cherry cough drops...probably a great brew to drink with a cold to supress the cough!

1.54/5  rDev -51%

Drain pour! Tastes like cough syrup.

1.56/5  rDev -50.3%

I was offered this at a college party. I normally don't mine fruity brews, but this is just downright aweful! Yuck!!! I taste the cherry and I taste the wheat, but why does it have to taste so bad? The balances are way off or something. Sam Adams sure messed up with this one. Side note: maybe they didn't mess up because this seems to be rather popular. People like lousy beer though.

1.56/5  rDev -50.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1

Just absolutely NO balance to this beer at all. They went wayyy overboard with the cherries on this one, as they dominate everything about this brew. Difficult to even call it a 'brew' since I had to work so hard to try to detect anything resembling beer from this one. Gotta rake this one over the coals for the total lack of any balance. And I LOVE cherries, but I love beer too. No beer here that I could find. Might be good for someone who doesn't like beer...

1.58/5  rDev -49.7%

12 oz bottle into a pint glass. Looked average in the glass. Cloudy golden with a white pillowy head.

First sip: "Hmm... that's weird".

Second sip: "Ugh... what the...."

Third sip: *Mr. Yuk face*

I only wish the flashy thing from Men In Black was real so I could use it to forget the flavor of this beer. Tastes like cherry seltzer water. Sweetness was almost invisible. Felt light and fizzy and not at all like a wheat or any kind of flavored beer I have had. It was impossible for me to drink this.

I love Sam Adams, so I hate to rag. However, I still regret this beer. To each his own.

1.59/5  rDev -49.4%

This is icky. Just plain icky. I know a few girls that enjoy this as a fruity girly drink, but I think this is really unenjoyable. It's like cough syrup. Robitussin comes to mind. Fake-ly cherry flavored Tussin. I think I can't manage more than three sips. Gross. Yucky. Ew. Blech. ::gags::

1.62/5  rDev -48.4%

I can't stand this beer! Every aspect of it sucks. Almost the worst beer I've had.

Looks like watery cough syrup.

Smells like cough syrup.

Tasts like cherry cough syrup.

Feels like cough syrup.

Might as well be cough syrup!

Who like to drink cough syrup?
Not me.
Ewwuu!

1.68/5  rDev -46.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Pours an orangish color, with white head. The lacing clings to the sides nicely as you drink it.

Smells very sweet, like maraschino cherries. It lacks the authentic fruit smell of a good lambic. I'm not against adding fruit to a beer, but it should smell and taste natural. This smells too artificial.

Wow, Sam Adams made a mistake in judgment here. The taste is like cough syrup. Not syrupy, but watered down, carbonated cough syrup. Very bad brew. I wouldn't try it again even if it was the only thing available. I'd rather drink water or a soda.

1.69/5  rDev -46.2%
look: 3 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

I never thought I would drain pour a Sam Adams but here I am. Absolute disaster. The smell was medicinal cherry and the taste was more of the same. I could barely stop from throwing up. Bottle dating was fresh by sept 2012 so still fresh.

Just wow. I picked up a mixed pack and this was the worst of the bunch.

- It looks like beer
- It smells sort of like beer
- It certainly doesn't taste like beer
- It is an insult to your taste buds

I had to sign up to this site just to evaluate (I can't even bring myself to use the word B..r)this stuff.
I've had Mort Subite in Belgium that is and always will be my favorite beer. Yep it's made with cherries too but that's where the the comparison stops. I'm not going to spend much time on this review because this swill doesn't deserve it. No fancy phrasing or words needed here to describe this mediocre experiment...it's awful!!! Samuel Adams should be embarrassed to have released this stuff and whomever approuved and tested this concoction should be fired!

Well I don't want to seem too negative reviewing this product, because you really can't be too negative reviewing it if you really love drinking beer.

1.7/5  rDev -45.9%

A- Macro-esque color and clarity- just darker than your average lager. Pretty good head, swelled to about two fingers, then fades to a half.

S- Wow, huge cherry smell. This is easily the fruitiest beer I have ever smelled. Behind the cherries are slight corn grains, but mostly it's just artificial cherry aromas, like syrup for sno-cones. It is appetizing...

T- Blech, awful taste. Fake tasting, flat character, no redeeming qualities. Drainpours wanna pour this down the drain. What a huge disappointment.

M- Poor as well, like thick water. No body, but fairly smooth.

D- None. The taste is too awful, especially for such an established brewery that usually knows what it is doing (sans the "lambic"...).

Tragic.

1.7/5  rDev -45.9%

From the “Brew Master’s Collection”
Aroma: Wait for it….. Cherry.
Appearance: Deep golden color with a collar of white head fed by an active carbonation. The brew left some traces of lace.
Flavor: Starts with a nice malt base but is quickly overwhelmed with an artificial cherry taste. The cherry reminds me of a fizzy cherry medicine or candy, so it’s hard to call it “fruity”. I couldn’t detect any hops, and it needed some to bring it back from the cloying edge it reached.
Mouthfeel: Thin body with a solid carbonation prickle.
Overall Impression: Too much “cherry” not enough hops. Just leaves the beer one sided, and not on a good side. I like fruit beers, too bad this isn’t one.

1.74/5  rDev -44.6%

12 oz bottle, best before Dec 07.

Clear copper with a small beige head, decent lace.

Aroma is overpowering maraschino cherries.

Flavor is artificial cherry with a light dusting of wheat.

Finish was dry with a sour note.

This was a disappointment. Glad I only bought one.

1.75/5  rDev -44.3%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

Outlier rating forced review. Awful feature.

1.75/5  rDev -44.3%

Ugh. Undrinkable on its own, it really shines when paired with a Guinness or Young's Chocolate stout in a half n half. Try it, you may be surprised. Never drink it alone though. That's a recipe for sadness.

1.75/5  rDev -44.3%

Remember when you were sick when you were a little kid? Mom would come into your room with a bottle and a spoon. She'd reassuringly try to coo, "It's cherry flavored!"... but, you just KNEW that didn't mean it would taste good!

I'm sure the Sam Adams people worked closely with pharmaceutical industry contacts to perfect this artificial, mediciney cherry flavor!

The appearance of this beer is not bad, hazy orange-gold with a white head that fades quickly. The smell is OK, too... dominated by cherry with a little wheat beer in the scent. Mouthfeel is thin and fizzy.

It's the taste that's just horrible! Very reminiscent of Robitussin. Vague sour aftertaste. Cherry-medicine burps afterwards!

I really cannot fathom why this is rated as high as it is!

1.76/5  rDev -43.9%

The hazy orange / amber hued brew is topped by a fairly dense ivory - white head that leaves a decent lace down the glass. Cherry absolutely overwhelms the aroma and is quite overbearing... any other malt notes or hop nose is completely masked. The taste is also dominated by a cloying cherry extract flavor, and as the beer warms an odd marzipan flavor becomes noticeable. This beer is an epitomy of inbalance-- the fruit extract prevents the malt profile to surface. Finishes sweet, w/ a lingering offputting sugary cherry candy sweetness. There are fruit beers that are drinkable... this is not one of them.

1.76/5  rDev -43.9%

I generally consider Sam Adams to be a good (not great), quality brewer. And while I was at first reluctant to give them a try, I have found many "fruity" beers that I find quite enjoyable. But Sam's Cherry Wheat was a major disappointment. The dominant, overpowering flavor was, to me, far too reminiscent of cherry cough syrup. And not in a good way. As cough syrup, a cherry cough syrup flavor is fine. Mixed with beer, not so much. A rare beer that to me was undrinkable. I tried one from a six-pack, didn't finish it, and gave the remaining five away.

1.78/5  rDev -43.3%

Tried at a BBQ at a friends house. this was terrible! Easily the worst beer I've had in a long time. like a bad beer with a Cherry jolly roger candy poured into it. cherry was overpowering both smell and taste, mouthfeel was astringent.

I do not recommend this one to anyone!

1.78/5  rDev -43.3%

I was at a bbq, eating raw sweet cherries (taste nothing like cherry 'flavoring') and drinking a beer, and thought the two tasted GREAT together, so when I saw this one, I thought it would be great! I was wrong!

Pours a brownish red. Smells like a beer with some merachino cherry juice in it. Not all that bad.
It tasted just like it smelled, although the cherry flavor was way to strong. It just tasted like beer with cherry juice in it. I couldn't even finish it. Not impressed at all. Does anyone make a beer that has a REAL cherry taste to it?

1.79/5  rDev -43%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Maybe the worst beer I've ever had. Love Sam Adams but this is cherry robitussun with some malts & hops.

1.79/5  rDev -43%
look: 3 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.5

After trying to figure out for days as to why this is in my fridge I decided to drink one to do a formal review because I have nothing else to do.

Slightly cloudy wheat color. Small white head that reduces to a collar around the beer.

Smells like Cherry 7-Up. Reminds me of the first day of summer in the 3rd grade and I went straight to the convenience store to buy one. Nevermind alcoholic energy drinks, someone should sue Sam Adams for targeting minors.

Any relation to 7-Up ends at the taste. It's buttery with a very unsatisfying bitterness in the aftertaste. Bready with a hint of hay and salt-less saltines. Reminds me of the crackers you get at communion, bland and tasteless. All of it is over powered by an artificial cherry flavor. Judging by the color, I'm guessing they use extract. Might make more sense to have a cherry beer that is actually red or reddish.

Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)