Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Cherry WheatSamuel Adams Cherry Wheat

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.30% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-25-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,615 | Reviews: 1,163
1.8/5  rDev -42.7%

Obvious cherry nose and faint hint of wheat and hops. Pours light amber color with almost no head. Extreem cherry taste with some maltiness and hint of wheat that is quickly offset by a jolly rancher like taste, initially it throws you off because it doesn’t taste like any other beer ive ever had. It really taste like some sort of soda.

1.82/5  rDev -42%

AIBA 2003: artificial cherry aroma, candy like flavours, sweetish, but dries out a touch towards the end, abit stupid, but not all that bad. Maybe a nice one for the friend who doesn't like beer, or anything that resembles anything complex . Didn't really get into it.

1.82/5  rDev -42%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.5

app is hazy gold amber with slight foam head and clearer near the bottom, when shone in the light red can be seen, kind of cool. Smells bad though , like nothing but cherry cough syrup and carbonation. Taste is similarly terrible strong cherry medicine like from begginning most of the way through , although the end is very wheat like and gives a decent mouthfeel , but still this is a hard drinker for me, but then again I don't like cherries so what do you expect.

1.82/5  rDev -42%

A: Pours a hazy golden color. A decent sized white head forms, but leaves no lace.
S: This smells of cocktail cherry syrup. Kind of like syrup bars keep their cherries in. Just awful IMO.
T: Very sweet and syrupy. Cherries and a touch of wheat. Pretty much cloying.
M/D: A light body that is fairly creamy. The cloying sweetness and cherries makes this hard for me to swallow.

I am sorry, this is pretty bad. Avoid at all costs.

look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Bought a six pack on a day when the weather was nice. I thought it'd be a nice spring flavor.... Damn, was I mistaken.

A - Light golden color. Clear, and pleasant looking. Medium size head.

S - Tart cherry up front with a wheat back. Smells fresh and fruity.

T - Immediate tart cherry flavor which is pleasant, but quickly turns into a muddle wheat flavor. The wheat isn't crisp and clean, but an unpleasant, almost musty flavor which brings down the taste of the cherry. Awful finish and aftertaste.

M - Thin and somewhat carbonated. I can't quite put my finger on it, but something about this just doesn't feel right.

O - The appearance and smell are extremely deceptive. The taste just does not stand up to expectations. I had a hard time making it through one bottle, and couldn't even think about a whole six pack. I've had some wonderful tart cherry beers, but this one just doesn't work. They should have made it a Berliner weisse. It may have been a little more tart then, but at least it would have a clean, refreshing flavor. I usually rate Sam Adams in the upper end of mediocre, sometimes above, but this is a definite flop.

look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

12oz bottle.

A: Light hazy golden color with small head.

S: Very nice fruity/cherry aroma.

T: Candy cherry flavor, very harsh bitterness. Reminds me of cherry flavor cough medicine. Awful!!

M: Light, very carbonated.

Awful beer. Try to avoid this one!!

1.83/5  rDev -41.7%

Pours a medium amber with a small, white, fully diminishing head. Smells of fake cherry, like maraschino cherry juice, over mild wheat. The taste is dominated by more fake flavors that overshadow any redeeming qualities of this beer. It has a thin body, watery texture and low carbonation, and it’s probably the worst of the beers to wear the Sam Adams name. Big disappointment.

1.85/5  rDev -41.1%

I was not a fan of this Sam Adams creation. I poured the crystal clear sunset golden it into a pint glass creating a nice rocky head. Its cherry smell was pervasive and artifically sweet, just like an artificially-flavored cherry lollipop. Underneath were the cherry-alcohol notes of cough syrup. The cherry smell could not be separated from the taste, which was disappointing. Sans taking in the aroma, the taste was less cherryesque, and disappointingly flat and bland. Also, the body of the beer was light and thin. From what I understand, fruit beers are only supposed to be mildly fruity, however, I could not finish 12 oz of this brew because of the overwhelming cherry cough syrup aroma.

1.86/5  rDev -40.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.5

Back when I started getting into beer it had become my goal to try every Sam Adams I could find, and after 5 or 6 different styles this was the first SA that I disliked. However it was more than that, I hated it.

It was light orange/red and wheatty, but very potently cherry smelling. When I tasted it all I could think about was the off-putting cherry flavor. It tasted very artificial and was not well balanced at all. Over all, there are now several SA beers that I dislike, but this is still by far the one I dislike the most.

If you like SA and you like fruitier beer, go for the Blackberry Whit, that is actually one of my favorites by SA now.

1.87/5  rDev -40.4%

I thought I'd like this beer, I guess I was wrong. The color is cloudy, the head disappears quickly, the cherry flavor is overpowering. I really had to choke this down. This is not the type of beer for me.
Maybe if I was on a desert island and had nothing else to drink, if that was the case; I'd want a pistol and one bullet.

1.87/5  rDev -40.4%

Pours a one finger tan head over a crystal clear bright light orange liquid. Smells of marchiano cherry. Sweet and preserved fruity. Tastes rather unpleasant. Marchiano cherry meets jelly belly in a carbonated beverage. Syrupy cough medicine flavor with a very odd end/aftertaste. Cherry is in the flavor line of cherry cola. Carbonation on the tongue in the aftertaste can get rid of the cherry flavor, but does dry out the beer a bit. Medium body, but thick in a syrupy way that makes me wonder about how the cherry flavor was imparted. Md-heavy carbonation. This was a dumper. Blech.

1.88/5  rDev -40.1%

I've got to say that I was somewhat disappointed by this one since I found I like most of what Sam Adams brews.

A: Light golden/yellow color. A bit darker than Miller Light with a similar head.

S: Right away you're hit with the smell of cherry. It was all that came through in the smell.

T: Again, cherry. I was hoping for maybe a hint of cherry and a hoegarden taste, but no. Cherry and a slight hint of yeast is all I found. It is a very sweet beer.

M: Felt watery and only slightly carbonated. Not a real good feel.

D: I drank this one slowly and sort of regretted ordering it.

1.88/5  rDev -40.1%

12 oz. bottle,

A: Pours a light hazy orange, with a thick white head, good retention, no lacing.

S: Smells just like a black cherry soda that you would get out of the cheap 25 cent vending machines.

T: Taste is not good. Cold the black cherry dominates and that is all right, would probably be a 3. As the beer warms up, this awful artificial cherry medicine flavour comes out, not something I want to drink.

M: Mouthfeel is really light and watery, I expected more.

D: Don't want to drink this beer as the bad cherry flavour comes out, didn't like it, avoid, Sam Adams' worst.

1.89/5  rDev -39.8%

This is the only six pack I could not finish! In my opinion the taste stinks. I can't even swallow the stuff. I will never buy a cherry related beer again. Yuck! Spit! The saying "looks can be deceiving" applies here. My soon to be wife also had to spit this one out...Now that's saying something...enough said!
Smells and tastes like cough syrup.
I love Sam Adam's but the Cherry taste was just to much, not balanced at all.

1.89/5  rDev -39.8%

Appearance - Pours a hazy golden color with a one finger head.

Smell - Cherry flavored cough medicine with a little bit of malt.

Taste - Medicinal cherry flavor is dominant.

Mouthfeel - Decent carbonation, medium bodied.

Drinkability - Not my favorite, a fairly weak offering in my opinion.

1.9/5  rDev -39.5%

quite possibly, one of the worst beer I have ever had. I was VERY disspaointed in the taste of this brew.

Pours a nice golden color, and, has some white for the head.

The cherry taste is almost over powering. I do not get the standard fruit/wheat taste, the cherry taste was like a candied cherry.

No hops, no wheat, to sweet of a cherry at that. Ug, not very good choice, IMO

1.91/5  rDev -39.2%

I should note that I'm never a big fan of fruit-flavored beers. I do enjoy O'Fallon's peach, but I was very disappointed by this.

Doesn't look too bad, but this beer smells and tastes like artificial cherry flavor. Mouthfeel is average, decent body.

No way I could drink more than one of these a night. This is not what "cherry" beer should taste like.

1.91/5  rDev -39.2%

A-Pours a light honey color. White head forms and is about a finger thick. I can tell before I tilt the glass, or take a sip, that this beer will leave lacing.

S-Smells like a cherry flavored lozenge. Just a bit whack of artificial cherry. Almost smells like medicine. I guess i could say I smell some wheat but I would possibly be lying.

T-Just not doing it for me. Cherry flavored medicine. Clings to the tongue and hangs around. I feel like I should be coughing because it tastes like I'm sucking on a cherry cough drop.

M-Light but sickly sticky. Carbonation is an afterthought. I just don't like the flavor. There is nothing that the mouthfeel can do to make this a better beer.

O/D-I flat out do not like this beer's artificial, cloying flavor. Had to try it once. I actually think I may regret it. I am not sure if I have said that before.

1.92/5  rDev -38.9%

In a Walmart mexican beer festival, i found this and another three beers from jim koch, this is like a "tutsi pop flavor" a llolipop famous in my country, bad for me.

I try this with guacamole, and panela cheese, poured in a pint glass, for appreciatte its colors and carbonations.

65% recommended.

1.93/5  rDev -38.5%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Appears an amber orange filtered hue with a thin cream head topping it off. Aroma is full of artificial marciano cherry esque sweetness almost overbearingly cherry no balance from anyother aromas in there, just potent cherries. Taste well, in the background some malt sweetness along with the same bready Sam Adams characteristic flavor that exists in all of BBC's beers. What makes this beer near untolerable is the rush of cherry extract that becomes cloying and not drinkable or enjoyable like candy. Mouthfeel fizzy carbonation lighter bodied with slight syrupy mouthfeel to it. Drinkability pass on this gimmick cherry wheat and go find a good beer, pass on this grotesque cloying answer to wheat beer fads.

1.95/5  rDev -37.9%

Cough syrup and Dr. Pepper.

1.96/5  rDev -37.6%

Smells of cherry, tastes of cherry and beer, not a good mix in my opinion.

1.96/5  rDev -37.6%

Pours a hazy yellow to orange-ish color with a light tan head. In the aroma, dark cherry, almost like a cough drop. In the taste, dry cherry and wheat notes. A fruity bite and medium to light mouthfeel, with a dry cherry fruitiness in the aftertaste. I think it is like a couple Ludens cough drops dropped in a mediocre wheat beer.

look: 3 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.75

I didn't really enjoy it, when I was a youth I drank to get drunk, but recently I've started drinking beer to enjoy my beer, unfortunately, I thought I would enjoy this one. Now I enjoy ales, and I thought this would be good, but unfortunately I thought it was just too much like a dry cough syrup.

1.96/5  rDev -37.6%

light orange to yellow and transluscent with thin white head. smells exactly like sour cherry cough syrup. overwhelms anything else that might be there. not good.
the flavors start of with the cough syrup and finish that way. I think it may chill out a little in the middle but I'm not sure. zingy bite of carbonation.
this is sort of sickening. I poured it down the sink.

Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)