1. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Cherry WheatSamuel Adams Cherry Wheat

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.30% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-25-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat Alström Bros

1.02/5  rDev -67.4%

Something is rotten in Denmark and it maybe this beer. I like Sam Adams but this offering is just simply awful.
Appearance is a reddish gamboge body with a slightly off white head.Head quickly dissipates and has barely any lacing.
Smell is a medicinal cherry, hints of malts and wheat, but is overpowered by a fake cherry scent.
Taste has a very artificial tasting quality to it, does not seem genuine and tastes like cough syrup or a spoiled jolly rancher.
Mouthfeel was a sticky, watery body with a dry aftertaste, not pleasant.
Overall this is not a very drinkable beer, it borders on alcopop, it would be nice if the good people at SA would reformulate this or remove it altogether from it's fine line of brews.

1.08/5  rDev -65.5%

Poured into a glass mug.

A- Orange/amber color with 2 finger head that fizzles away. It looks ok.

S- Fake cherry smell, like cherry cough medicine, some alcohol. Some hops.

T- Cherry cough medicine. Nasty! Very harsh taste.

M- Medium body and good carbonation. But the taste really makes this beer not at all refreshing or crisp.

Drinkability- Horrible, I couldn't get past a few sips. Drain Pour.

O- Overall, this is a bad beer. The taste is of cherry cough medicine. I don't recommend this beer at all.

1.1/5  rDev -64.9%

I'm a fan of the Samuel Adams Boston Lager. I purchased the Harvest Sampler Pack and had the displeasure of tasting the Cherry Wheat Ale.

Serving: Bottle..pint glass

Appearance: Light Amber to Gold, cloudy unfiltered look. Pours a 1 finger head of foam and quickly dissipates with no lacing what-so-ever.

Smell: Terrible, cherry additive is overwhelming.

Taste: Cherry taste is overwhelming and almost like a wine cooler..wtf

Mouthfeel: Fizzy and over carbonated, watery

Drinkability: I could down a few if I had a set of boobs, but that is not the case.

1.13/5  rDev -63.9%

Bought this in a Sam Adams variety pack, otherwise I wouldn't have bought it. I still wouldn't. I may be a little too harsh, but it just tastes too much like a cherry flavored soda for me to really enjoy it as a beer. It smells like cherry soda, too. For all I know, it may be considered a great 'fruit/vegetable beer', but I just don't dig those in general. The cherry flavor is not subtle at all, and I like when beer has subtle flavors. This tastes like cherry soda with some alcohol in it.

1.15/5  rDev -63.3%

The beer pours to a nice deep red color with about a one inch thick head.

The aroma is overwhelmed with a maraschino cherry smell.

The taste is bad. As an earlier reviewer noted, the taste is a mix between cherry cough syrup and a wheat beer. Unfortunately my taste buds detected more cough syrup than beer. Any of the wheat / malt in the beer is totally disguised by the cherry dominance.

The beer is anything but subtle, unfortunately unlike a great IPA where the hops make a great taste, the cherry in this beer does not.

Not recommended, but the apperance is good.

1.2/5  rDev -61.7%

I had high hopes for this beer. I have tasted other "flavored" beers in the past with alright to good outcomes. However this beer was undrinkable to me.

It tasted like cherry cough syrup mixed with wheat beer. Very artificial taste and smell. I bought a 6 pack because of the relatively cheap price and was looking to try something new. I had to end up giving the rest to a friend who had a similar reaction. I found it to be under-carbonated and syrupy, not pleasant at all and I certainly will not be purchasing again.

Very disappointed with Boston Brewing comp.

1.2/5  rDev -61.7%

My first Sam adams, and not sure if I wanna ever try another I feel betrayed by this wannabe brew. Tastes like straight up cherry cough syrup, not like cherry soda but like cherry cough syrup. Its a real artificial bitter cherry flavor not sweet like soda but nasty bitter makes you wanna puke cherry medicine like beverage. There is no real fruit in it, its not a craft beer its not worthy of being called a beer. At $ 8 bucks for a six pack, I would not drink it if they gave it away for free. My suggestion don't buy this, you will regret it. Sam adams needs to take this one off the market, its a waste of shelfspace and makes them look bad. I am sure they make some really good stuff but this has to go.

1.25/5  rDev -60.1%

Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)