Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Cherry WheatSamuel Adams Cherry Wheat

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.30% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-25-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,617 | Reviews: 1,166
3.53/5  rDev +12.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

The beer is a cloudy peach color in the pint glass with plenty of tiny bubbles of carbonation. A slightly fluffy white head sits atop the beer with a little bit of sticking to the sides of the glass.

Smells like Ludens cherry cough drops.

Tastes like cherry vanilla ice cream.

Mouthfeel is slightly chewy.

4.48/5  rDev +42.7%

I picked up a sixpack of this for the holidays. When I read the label I was really excited. I could try a wheat beer from a company I know makes decent products from high quality ingredients. I had a really good experience with the first wheat beer I tried (Blue Moon Belgian White), and it had cherry in it to boot. It sounded perfect. When I actually tried it I was kind of disappointed. This may be made with wheat, but it is definately no Belgian style White. It was almost as heavy and bitter as Regular Sam Adams Lager. Anyway, since I haven't poured one out of the bottle yet, I rated the appearance at 3. I'm sure it is probably a decent looking brew, but until I know for sure its rating will be in the middle. When I do get around to pouring one in a glass I'll edit this review. Smell is pleasant, with some fairly strong but very clean malt, and of course cherries. Taste disappointed me at first since I was expecting the cherry against a background of light citrusy wheat beer instead of the rather heavier malt flavor strong enough to be typical of the regular Sam Adams Boston Lager. Still, on repeat samplings, the cherry blends nicely with the richer sweetness of the malted wheat. It's pleasant with rather weaker hop presence than either regular Sam Adams Boston Lager, or Sam Adams Light either. (This beer pluse those two represent my entire sampling of Boston Beer Co's products at this time) Like you'd expect from this company, even the relatively bland hops in this beer are still high quality. They fit the beer and they bring only good things to it, even though the cherries really main contributors to the flavor aside from the malt. Mouthfeel is very pleasant being a bit lighter than regular Sam, very similar to Saranac Lager. Drinkability is excellent. It gets a tiny bit thick towards the end, but its thirst quenching, easier to drink than regular Sam Adams, and seems to be improve the more I sample it. And it also seems to pair well with almost anything. I've had 3 different beers with pizza, chips and dip, and buffalo wings and each time it went great with the food. In conclusion, this very pleasant and fairly unique brew that's definately worth a try.

3.29/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a small glass

Appearance: A golden amber color with a small, white head that disappears rapidly.

Smell: Holy cherry god! If you put a cherry pie and this under my nose I would think this is the pie. Cherry syrup scent dominates everything else. I really like how this smells, but I could understand if you think it is over the top.

Taste: Not nearly as much cherry flavor as the smell would suggest. Wheaty malts up front are decent, followed by a nice cherry taste that can change to a weird, almost spoiled cherry taste. As I noted, it is rather blander than I thought it would be, especially considering the smell.

Mouthfeel: As you drink through the beer, it starts to taste more like water than like beer. Carbonation is a little low, which leads to too smooth of a feel.

Drinkability: I could drink many of these if I had to, but I would prefer not to. Its not my favorite beer, and its not my favorite fruit beer, but its decent enough if you have to drink it or are curious to try it.

1.83/5  rDev -41.7%

Pours a medium amber with a small, white, fully diminishing head. Smells of fake cherry, like maraschino cherry juice, over mild wheat. The taste is dominated by more fake flavors that overshadow any redeeming qualities of this beer. It has a thin body, watery texture and low carbonation, and it’s probably the worst of the beers to wear the Sam Adams name. Big disappointment.

3.27/5  rDev +4.1%

A beer worth trying but perhaps not worth revisiting. I poured one from a 12 oz. bottle, and found it to be drinkable, inoffensive, but lacking in any strong positive qualities. The cherry taste is well-defined, but it blends with the beer in such a way that I can't escape thinking this is how a flat diet cherry cola would taste. Actually the body is much crisper than flat soda, and that helps make this an ok beer.

3.96/5  rDev +26.1%

Poured out a hazy honey colored brew with minimal head.Smell like black cherry ice cream,,not bad at all.Taste is very surprising and i gotta say i like it.Cherries cherries cherries but they are not overpowering.Mouthfeel nothing special.Drinkability good,,,i wouldnt makre it an all the time brew but great for something out of the ordinary.

3.05/5  rDev -2.9%

My girlfriend's mother's name is Cherry Wheat. They send her a free 12-pack every birthday. She should love this beer considering her name, but its a good thing she doesnt because now I get to reap her rewards once a year.

It pours a transparent golden color with a nice, lasting white head. The nose is BURSTING of cherries. The taste is also strong of cherries, almost too much that its hard to pick out any other flavors. It tastes good, but the strong black cherry flavor almost gets annoying after a while and begins reminding me of things like chapsitck and make-up.

The mouthfeel is great. It has the perfect body with excellent carbonation matched with superb smoothness. A very drinkable beer if you like a fruity twist on your brew.

3.11/5  rDev -1%

This beer smells like black cherry ice cream. It tastes a little like cough syrup. It looks like a slightly amber hued light beer. The mouthfeel is not that great. I could possibly drink more than one but I'm not sure I'd want to. Ole Sam puts out some pretty good brews but I think this one comes up a little short. Maybe it's time this one is voted out of the brewtanks.

2.75/5  rDev -12.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Ever have one of those beers that is always in your beer store that you want to try but you continually pass up for something you think is better? This is that beer for me. Dec is clearly marked on bottle. Inside of cap says gold medal LA 2004. I wish other brewers would put their awards on the inside of the caps like S.A. does.
A:Mostly amber and gold with some red and orange hues. Nice two finger head that hangs around for a while with an agressive pour.
S: Sweet cherries with a hint of oats, wheat or barley.
T: Kind of taken aback with the first sip. Taste like that cough medicine that my mom would force down my throat as a child. Take 2- Still mediciney(is that a word?) but nice cherry aftertaste. Taste more like heavy cherry flavoring than fresh cherries.
M: Too syrupy. Almost waxy.
D: I could imagine having several in succession, but the mouthfeel really hurts the drinkability.
I'll finish my sixer, but then I'm done with Cherry Wheat.

3.63/5  rDev +15.6%

Pretty good under the right circumstances. Overall, i'd say this is a bit too close to beer-flavored cherry cola. Perhaps a little heavy-handed on the cherry flavor. Would have liked for the wheat and yeast characteristics to be a little more forward. Hops are minimal.

But certainly very drinkable.

Probably a decent crossover beer for the ladies : )

2.8/5  rDev -10.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Dried apricot that appears crystal clear with indirect lighting and significantly hazy with an infusion of sunlight. It's definitely an interesting visual effect. The pale oatmeal colored cap is attractive. It resembles a windswept mesa as it deflates, and leaves a fair amount of sudsy lace behind.

There's no shortage of cherry in the nose. In fact, it smells so much like sweet cherries that there's no room left for it to smell like beer. It may not be the overpowering cherry bomb that some cherry lambics are, but there's no doubt what fruit was used. I'll have to give credit to BBC, they didn't do this one halfway. As to the question of artificial cherry versus actual cherry juice, it's sort of in the middle.

I'm definitely not as impressed with the flavor as I am with the appearance and the aroma. Whereas the nose is 95% cherries and 5% beer, the flavor is much more the latter than the former. SA Cherry Wheat tastes like what a wheat ale flavored with cherry should taste like (in a general sense at least). It doesn't hang together for me though. The base beer is too grainy and rough and tends to dominate the fruit.

It seems to me that a more neutral wheat ale, or even a pale ale, would have been a better choice. I also pick up a faint metallic tang and I can't shake the impression that the beer needs salt. As it warms, the cherry flavor takes on an increasingly artificial, almost medicinal quality. The mouthfeel is light-medium, is slightly chalky (odd) and heads toward watery on the finish.

Cherry Wheat may be my least favorite Samuel Adams offering to date. If my memory is accurate, I even thought the much maligned Cranberry Lambic was better. With a major tweak or two this could be an okay fruit beer. In its present form, no thank you.

2.98/5  rDev -5.1%

Drink by 11/05, poured into a chalice.
Dr. Pepper comes to mind. That cherry flavor you find in cherry colas, or those fake processed cherries that every icecream parlor carries.
Looks pretty good, like a cloudy pale ale and a white head; laces the glass some.
The smell introduces you to the Dr. Pepper similarities... some malty sweetness can be found in there but it's overpowered by cherry flavoring.
The taste is even more so. The wheat chimes in a little bit in the flavor but mostly that Dr. Pepper impersonator thing comes through. I haven't had a cherry cola in a long time so this lights a nostalgia bulb for me.
The mouthfeel on this one fluctuates but it has one of the worst finishes I can recall in a beer. The thin body and soda-like carbonation (and some wheaty texture) save this some, but the finish is just harsh. Artificial flavor, sticks to the teeth, chewing on cardboard, something is wrong here finish to the mouthfeel.
If you keep guzzling this down you can procrastinate experiencing the finish (perhaps a beer bong candidate). Nothing else is terrifically intense so otherwise this goes down pretty easily, but reaching for another bottle just doesnt seem like a good idea.
If you like Dr. Pepper and chewing on cardboard, then this is the beer for you!

3.87/5  rDev +23.2%

On tap in an 11 oz glass at MagGregors. This came to me as a nice hazy orange color with nice lacing. The fruit/cherry aroma is very pleasant. This has always tasted more like a cherry fruit drink than a beer to me. The wheat side is there but sorta weak. Overall though it is an enjoyable brew. Very malty. The moouthfeel was slightly creamy and moderate. In terms of drinkability could drink this forever, just might get a little bored.

4.77/5  rDev +51.9%

This beer is in a nice bottle and don't let that "Don't judge a good book by its cover" idea fool you this beer lives up to its potential. This beer gets a decent head and pours a nice deep amber but not too dark. The smell of this makes one look forward to drinking it and when it hits the toungue it has a fantastic typical lager flavor but after swallowing, the cherry aftertaste makes this a spectacular beer. SA Cherry Wheat is a simple classic beer. Nothing special enough to spend hundreds on but certainly one that I recommend. This Beer, like most Samuel Adams, are good with Beef, a Steak, a Burger, etc...Try it, you won't be disappointed

2.62/5  rDev -16.6%

A - Pours yellowy, golden with a small head that flees.

S - Smells of cherries alright, a little wheat and alcohol. It isn't the sweet cherries you may be used to, but more the bitter, dark kind.

T - Cherries up front, cherries in the back. It tastes as if you dropped some cherries in a miller light, not too great.

M - It is a very abrasive beer, it doesn't kill your taste at all, but is very sharp, between the bitterness of the cherry and the carbonation, it makes it a bit of a chore to drink.

D - Not too high, in fact, I had trouble drinking one. I'm sure there is a segment for this beer, and with the low ABV it is a steady drinker, but not to me, and likely the majority of BA's.

3.15/5  rDev +0.3%

Light bodied, light copper colored with a decent white head that stayed for a while and left some moderate lacing on the way down.

There is a definite cherry aroma with a hint of hops and not much else.

The flavor is a mix of cherry with some light malt and a slight hops finish. Cherry flavor is definite but not overpowering, crisp, refreshing.

Something different, not something I would drink everyday but drinkable, could be very nice on a hot summer day relaxing in the shade.

3.1/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured a reddish-amber color with a light tan head. Not as cloudy as other wheat beers. The head quickly faded to leave decent lacing. It smells of sweet cherries and not much else. Tastes the same way as it smells; hops are barely noticeable. The mouthfeel is thick and sticky; almost like cherry syrup. Also leaves the lips very sticky. I enjoy this beer after dinner occasionally as a dessert, but more than two would make me feel sick. It would have been nice for S.A. to add more complexity to this underachieving brew.

1.96/5  rDev -37.6%

light orange to yellow and transluscent with thin white head. smells exactly like sour cherry cough syrup. overwhelms anything else that might be there. not good.
the flavors start of with the cough syrup and finish that way. I think it may chill out a little in the middle but I'm not sure. zingy bite of carbonation.
this is sort of sickening. I poured it down the sink.

2.81/5  rDev -10.5%

Big on the cherry flavor, but lacking on everything else. Pours a less-red-than-expected- color with disapointing head retention for a wheat. Aromas are big of cherry and nothing else. Flavors like cherry Kool-Aid (not real cherries). It has some good fruity tartness and a lacking barley or wheat quality. Lacking in the wheat flavors, textures, and apprearance. Yeast offers no fruity esters or spiciness. Barley malt is hardly detected. A thin mouthfeel and a fleeting finish. I am suprised that this beer didn't turn out better.

2.15/5  rDev -31.5%

Presentation: 12oz brown glass longneck US-generic bottle, white/yellow/brown label

Appearance: hazy gold color, big white head, good lacing

Smell: cherry with minor hops in background

Taste: light body, crisp mouthfeel, some malt, strong cherry flavor, minor bitterness of hops

Notes: flavors don't mixed together well

3.98/5  rDev +26.8%

Pours with a nice white head settling over oh so slightly hazy gold/amber liquid, tinged with a light pink/red cast. The nose is sweet cherries and malt with light hopping. The light mouthfeel offers flavors of cherry, sweet malt grass and decent hop bitterness. Finishes light, spritzy and easy to drink...one of my favorite hot weather brews.

3.88/5  rDev +23.6%

Served from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: Two finger head which is dissipating slowly. Golden amber in color.

Smell: A slight malt smell comes through but a strong smell of maraschino cherries really comes through.

Taste: A slight malt taste first and then the beer tastes of cherries. At the very end you get a nice wheat taste.

Mouthfeel: A good Mouthfeel. Just the right amount of carbonation.

Drinkability: Very drinkable. I could have a few of these in a row.

Overall, another good beer from the folks at the Boston Brewing Company. I really like how this beer finishes with a nice wheat taste. Keep up the great work!!!

3.03/5  rDev -3.5%

On tap at Sam Adams Brewhouse- Pittsburgh Airport.
Bartender tells me it is a top seller!

Looks like a nice lager with a touch of bronze color.
Light sheathing through the drink.

Aroma is restrained cherry but the flavor, I can only say it is a bit odd.
The cherry tastes like what you'd find in a kid's sucker-
very sugary and artifically "loud".

Amazingly, it does die down at the finish.

This would be a rare occasion brew for me but I guess at the Pitts
airport it is a competitor for the Malternative crowd!

Easier to drink than SA Cranberry.

3.98/5  rDev +26.8%

This was the first time I had seen this Cherry Wheat so decided to try it even though I am not a big fan of cherrys. I was supprised by the nice head, slightly cream coloured. The appearace was a dark red colour smelling of a light cherry odour but not overwellming as some flavoured beers can be. It was extreamly drinkable with the cherry not overwellming, not much hops involved in the brew I suspect but too much would lend to a bad aftertaste with the cherry.

Overall I was very impressed with this first sampeling of Sam Adams Cherry Wheat.

4.8/5  rDev +52.9%

This is a very nice beer, I often drink it during the Summer as a refreshing change of pace. When compared to Pete's Strawberry Blonde, another widely available fruit-based beer, SA Cherry Wheat has a more pronounced fruit taste. However, it's not at all overpowering & compliments the wheat nicely. I also find the sweetness to be quire neutral. I really detest any sweet drinks - I've never been able to finish a six-pack of milk stout I bought & never drink fruity mixed drinks, so if you're looking for something sweet probably look elswhere.

Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)