2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Cherry WheatSamuel Adams Cherry Wheat

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.30% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-25-2001)
View: Beers (120) |  Events
Ratings: 2,935 | Reviews: 1,079 | Show All Ratings:
Thorpe429

2.98/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Reviewed from notes.

Pours a light reddish brown color with a bit of an off white head. Nose brings loads of cherries. Seems a bit artificial, but not too much. Taste is some more super-sweet cherries that start to get quite a bit cloying. Light caramel, crusty flavors in the background. Feel is medium with quite a bit of sugar body. Quite cloying, which really affects the drinkability.

10-16-2010 18:45:16 | More by Thorpe429
GavDomDadGH

3.8/5  rDev +21.4%

Average apperance. A nice dark gold color. Decent head that sticks around for a while
The smell is amazing. A strong cherry scent with hints of fruit and hops.
Taste is incredible. A very strong cherry flavor with some earthy tones and a hint of hops.
Warning! If you do not like cherrys avoid this beer like the plague.
Also if you order at Applebees make sure you tell them to leave the cherry out of it. I don't need fruit in my beer

08-29-2010 00:16:29 | More by GavDomDadGH
pdgreen

Indiana

2.5/5  rDev -20.1%

Appearance is golden, some material suspended in the beer.

Pours with a samll white head.

Smells of cherries and not much else. Also not a huge fan of cherries which doesnt help in my rating.

Not a hug cherry taste that you'd expect from such a strong smell.

Mouthfeel was slightly thick with small amount of grit.

Drinkability was ok but not being a huge cherry or wheat fan i wont seek it out.

08-20-2010 17:08:11 | More by pdgreen
CHickman

3.2/5  rDev +2.2%

Pours clear yellow with bubbles racing up and a creamy 1 finger beige head that faded quickly.

Smells sweet with cherry, sweet malt, fruit cocktail, grass, wheat, sugar and candy like Skittles. Very nice aroma that is more like a fruit punch than a beer.

Tastes of cherry, sweet malt, yeast, roasted grains, wheat and candy like Razzles. The cherry flavor is not a strong as the cherry aroma, which was a little disappointing as the grains took over the finish. Overall it's a little too grainy, yet somehow seems easy to drink.

Mouthfeel is light and crisp, on the smooth and watery side, with very light carbonation and a light body.

A decent beer that's a nice change of pace, but not one that I could drink all night. Worth trying at a bar, but not worth buying a six pack.

07-11-2010 16:14:52 | More by CHickman
sluggermatt15

3.43/5  rDev +9.6%

Had this on-tap at a local bar and I didn't know it was available until I saw it on the menu.

A- Orangish yellow in appearance, small foam head that relaxes after several minutes. About average as far as an appearance goes.

S- Cherries. You can definitely smell the cherries and this is why it's called "cherry wheat." Some wheaty scent present too, but cherries for the most part.

T- Just as it smells: cherries with some bready taste. I actually enjoyed the taste and it's not too bad.

M- Medium bodied so there's not a terrible amount of carbonation, rather just enough.

D- About an average drinkability. If you don't mind the taste of cherries, then you should be able to have a couple. I just had one because I wanted to try it out, but I certainly could have gone for another.

Not a bad brew by the Boston Beer Company. I understand their reasoning for trying to stretch their beers to different fruits. This beer is mainly geared toward the summer months, as evidenced by its presence at beer distributors. Give it a shot if you're a fan of SA.

06-28-2010 00:06:15 | More by sluggermatt15
jt31914

3.08/5  rDev -1.6%

On-tap at dinner tonight; it was on sale, so I figured I might as well buy it.

A: Cherry amber color with little to no head.

S: Citrus mixed with cherry aromas.

T: Sweet cherries with typical pale bitterness to balance it. A bit sweet and acidic on the finish but better than I remember.

M/D: Decently drinkable, but on the whole it is average at best.

06-12-2010 23:56:17 | More by jt31914
vette2006c5r

4.4/5  rDev +40.6%

Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat poured a bit of a light golden color, with a small head. It had a sweet smell, and the cherry smells are very present. The taste is very intresting and novel. It has a sweet taste, and a very strong cherry taste, with a beer taste supporting it. It was pretty light, and tasty, and very easy to drink. Overall I felt it was a very good beer, however I also enjoy cherries, I can see many people disliking this beer as well.

04-04-2010 18:56:46 | More by vette2006c5r
lstokes

2.55/5  rDev -18.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I did not like this beer very much at all, and I'm usually pretty game for fruity beers--but this didn't taste like cherries, it tasted like a Cherry Slurpee from 7-11, medicinal and sickly sweet.

That was my first thought when I smelled the glass and it persisted all the way through. The base beer is grainy and weak and doesn't hold up to the artificial cherry--maybe a stronger base with some punchy yeast would have made this better? I'll be skipping it from now on.

03-18-2010 11:15:39 | More by lstokes
bourbonbock

3.73/5  rDev +19.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I had a couple of these on draft during the preakness a couple years ago. The beer was pouring from a really cold tap into a pint glass.

A. The beer was a deep golden color with decent head which reduced to a cap after a few minutes.

S. Smells of fresh cherries and citrus.

T. Cherry wheat tastes pretty good with a sweet flavor and a little bitter after swallowing.

M/D. Cool and refreshing but wouldn't drink too many at a time.

Wish I had seen this on tap in more places.

03-05-2010 21:05:40 | More by bourbonbock
MrDanno96

3.13/5  rDev 0%

A: Pours a slightly hazy, deep golden yellow. Just a thin ring of white head around the edge of the glass. Good amount of lacing on the sides of the glass.

S: Smells exactly like a cherry slushy - cherry syrup. Hints of wheat are barely detectable in the background. Smells like this is going to be over the top sweet.

T: A good amount of cherry flavor here, but it's not as overpowering as the nose suggested. A decent balance is achieved by the wheat/malt flavors and the cherry sweetness. Sweetness becomes slightly cloying once the beer warms a bit. A little artificial. Meh.

M: A medium body with lots of carbonation. Appropriate for the style.

O: A decent brew, but probably not something I'll try again. This brew's aroma is way too artificial and it's other aspects are just average. Someone must be buying this and Cranberry Lambic, but I don't know who. While I'm a big proponent of Sam Adams, I am not sure why they insist on making these underwhelming fruity beers—especially in such large quantities.

01-28-2010 05:49:17 | More by MrDanno96
bigdeuce

3.43/5  rDev +9.6%

Another solid brew by the Boston Beer Company. True to it's form, it has a nice head with good lacing. Very sweet cherry scents, woody, and wheaty on the nose. A true wheat beer, with high cherry accents and a slight twingy hop finish. A really nice change of pace, but hard to drink more than one or two in a session, because of the style.

01-20-2010 01:13:15 | More by bigdeuce
JustinJTisdale

3.05/5  rDev -2.6%

The pour was superb and it looked fantastic. Thick frothy head that seemed to stick around for days.

The aroma bordered on overpowering with cherries and the taste was almost a mixture of beer and cough syrup. Too much cherry taste for me.

The texture was good but unless someone buys it for me or it happens to be the last beer in the fridge I don't plan on drinking this again anytime soon.

01-11-2010 23:43:14 | More by JustinJTisdale
tjd112

Got this at Hard Rock Cafe in Denver on tap, into pint glass

Appearance - Pours an opaque golden/brown colour with white head, good retention

Smell - Strong cherry

Taste - Strong cherry, with a balance of maltiness and hoppiness

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied with a dry yet dangerously smooth finish

Drinkability - Could drink these all day

Overall - Another favourite

01-10-2010 04:42:39 | More by tjd112
GoalieRon33

3.53/5  rDev +12.8%

a- golden brown, a little cloudy, as a wheat beer would be expected to be. Decent head with pretty good retention

s- strong bready smell with tart cherries mixed in. Smelled like a bakery or even some type of cherry pastry

t- overpoweringly sweet at times, but still a nice change of pace from the standard fare of fruit beers. Depending on season, the beer is either great or average

m- a little watery, not what i expected. not a ton of body

d- easy to drink, as long as the cherries aren't too tart

11-11-2009 00:41:56 | More by GoalieRon33
craftaholic

4.05/5  rDev +29.4%

Appearance: Pours a cloudy apple cider-esq pint with a 3/4 oatmeal colored finger head that doesn't have the greatest of retention.

Smell: Unmistakably cherry in the aroma, might have a bit too much even that nothing else can really work its way through.

Taste: The flavor tastes much like what you would expect, there isn't much of a surprise. It is heavy on the wheat and tastes like its cherry flavored; think hefeweizen with cherry syrup. The good thing is that is doesn't taste like cough medicine but then again it doesn't strike me as if there are real ones either. Somewhat artificial but not sickeningly so.

Mouthfeel: Thick and fluffy and definately sticks around long after you've swallowed. It's a medium bodied brew overall but quaff it fast or the prominent cherry will turn medicinal.

Drinkability: Surely could throw back a few on a brisk evening because it warms you up and isn't light.

Overall: If this style is your thing then youll truly enjoy, if not.. well why are you considering.

11-06-2009 19:15:48 | More by craftaholic
Nezzy

2.85/5  rDev -8.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance: Really nice pour with wheat colors and slight hint of rust and very thin lacing.

Smell: Smell is actually really good of a wheat beer with hints of the cherry coming through.

Taste: The cherry is very powerful on the first sip and to me almost too powerful. However, it ends nicely and the cherry becomes less strong in the after taste. Problem is after a while the cherry becomes pretty bitter and the bitterness gets stronger the more you drink. It's actually a little off putting.

Mouthfeel: It's not too carbonated and actually pretty smooth.

Drinkability: This is really a type of beer that must be had with food and it should be a desert. Even with that said, I found it hard to go through my whole pint because the bitterness of the beer really got to me. So it's sort of good for novelty sake, but can't see myself drinking more then one in a night.

10-09-2009 02:52:51 | More by Nezzy
Sammy

Ontario (Canada)

3.18/5  rDev +1.6%

On-tap at Mr. Goodbar's. Synthetic tasting cherry aroma and taste. Grapefruit body and a bit of soapy head, some lace. Looks OK, average mouthfeel. Nothing special to drink or taste. After some cherry lambics and wild yeasts recently, this didn't cut it.

08-17-2009 04:08:39 | More by Sammy
kbeals

3.23/5  rDev +3.2%

A- Pours a golden yellow color with a bit of fizzy white head that doesn't last very long. Not much lacing to speak of either.

S- Watered down cherry juice and a bit of grain.

T- Nothing but cherries to me, reminds me more of a wine cooler than anything.

M- Smooth and light-bodied, good amounts of carbonation.

D- This is a decent summer time beer if you can stand the flavor. Best served very cold in my opinion.

07-30-2009 01:12:46 | More by kbeals
rfgetz

4.15/5  rDev +32.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - cloudy golden color with hints of light red. little froth head

S - tart cherry scent with light "artificial" sugar scent

T - Tart but sweet Michigan cherry with some light "artificial" sweetness to it, some nice wheat tastes inbetween.

M - Smooth, good carbonation, not thick or medicinal like the smell/taste dictates

D - Refreshing, not overy sweet and a different class of fruit beer from other brands. A very guilty pleasure.

07-10-2009 16:08:59 | More by rfgetz
morebeergood

2.68/5  rDev -14.4%

On tap at the Coolidge Corner Clubhouse. Ordered one because I haven't had one in years. Not much head on the pint glass. Hazy yellow color, with medium carbonation. Smells sugary and tart. The flavor is way too overpowering. It's like drinking cherry juice right out of a can. Doesn't taste like beer at all really, more like a cider or fruit juice. No wheat beer characteristics noticed. Very sticky on the palate. I remember the first time I had one of these when it first hit the market. My preferences have definitely changed since then. Not sure if I could have more than one pint.

06-30-2009 03:48:46 | More by morebeergood
Jayli

2.8/5  rDev -10.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

This beer pours a ever so slightly hazy gold-orangish color with a one finger white head left on top. Decent head retention and wispy lacing left on the glass. The nose is cherries, cherries, cherries - maracchino cherries, and just a touch of a malt backbone to it. Taste is overwhelmingly cherry. I am definitely a fan of fruity beer, but the cherry flavoring dominates the taste to a point of distraction - perhaps because it almost an artificial cherry taste. There are slight notes of malts in this beer, but not enough to even remotely balance out the cherry. On the lighter side of medium bodied, medium to high carbonation that works well for this beer, slightly creamy with a dry finish to it. Many years ago, I had tried this beer and loved it, oh how the palate changes. This is a beer that you could have one of, anything more would be far too sweet.

06-19-2009 13:20:45 | More by Jayli
thain709

3.03/5  rDev -3.2%

A - An amber body with some reddish highlights...a white fluffy head...leaves nice lacing

S - A pleasant smell of cherries...not overpowering

T - Here is where the cherries become overpowering...a big does of thick cherry syrup fills your palate...as the beer warms the cherry flavor fades and the wheat comes to the front

M - The carbonation made it feel like a cherry Coke/Pepsi

D - I was ready after smelling the beer...but the taste didn't do it for me...I like Sam Adams...just not their fruit beers

05-21-2009 12:25:28 | More by thain709
padraig1775

New Mexico

1.33/5  rDev -57.5%

I am no expert but I know what I like and this beer is definitely not what I like. In appearance it is good ,nice cherry red and oakish brown blend,but beer is meant to be imbibed,not merely seen. It starts with the aroma. It smells and tastes like the cherry cough syrup my mother used to make me drink.This beer is so repulsive I am shocked that a major brewing company like sam adams(which has other beers I do like) could put something so horrible into the market. I had to ask my waitress for a different beer as I could not actually finish this beer. I was thinking maybe the bar I was at (stone face tavern ,abq NM) had served me yet another stale or spoiled beer (unfortunately a common problem with beers on tap in Albuquerque bars) but then I read a review from another guy on BA who said the same thing! Maybe I am breaking the rule of being constructive but I'm sorry there is no saving this beer or considering what the brew master was going for,this beer is nasty! I like cherries and I like beer but I would sooner drink pond scum than another sam adams cherry wheat.

04-18-2009 09:36:47 | More by padraig1775
barleywinefiend

Washington

Poured a hazy gold with a decent head that retains a very nice lace. Nose is heavy cherry aroma with little wheat. Taste is crisp and dry with some cherry flavor and bitterness. Refreshing but not what to get when looking for a beer. Worth a try though

03-28-2009 03:38:02 | More by barleywinefiend
mikeal1917

4.22/5  rDev +34.8%

Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat has become one of my favorite beers from tap, and every time I'm at my local Buffalo Wild Wings, its always my first choice.

Appearance- Pours well from what I could see, the bartender was in the way (probably wasn't a beeradvocate!!). The head was thin, but kept throughout glass, and had a little wisp, which common to most wheat beers.

Smell- Though artificial, I do enjoy the cherry smell that comes with the beer. Sam Adams beers are known, as least according to my palate, for their distinct smells, and I can usually pick a Sam out of a crowd. The cherry does overpower any traditional beer smell though.

Taste- Being a huge fan of wheat beers, I fell in love with this brew and I still hold in high regard among my wheat beer scale. The cherry masks any initial bitterness, and the aftertaste is calm and doesn't linger.

Mouthfeel- As with most wheat beers, a smooth drink is apparent, and the cherry only makes things easier

Drinkability- I find the first and second glasses to be sufficient for myself, because the cherry does become overwhelming as you drink more and more of it. Went extremely well with the burger and fries I had.

03-02-2009 17:14:28 | More by mikeal1917
Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)