Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Cherry WheatSamuel Adams Cherry Wheat

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.30% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-25-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,125 | Hads: 3,633
3.58/5  rDev +10.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from 12oz bottle into Chimay glass.
Gold color with small head and some lace.
Aroma of cherry vanilla soda.
Modest carbonation and mouthfeel.
Flavors of cherry vanilla soda, light ginger, lemongrass, apricot. Overall relatively light, refreshing, sweet, with a slight spice and bitterness. (296 characters)

3.5/5  rDev +8%

A: Orange in color and very cloudy with a white head.

S: It's a sweet smelling beer with cherry and grain notes.

T: Has a cherry flavor up front and wheat flavors near the end.

M: A very smooth/medium bodied beer.

O: I like how the flavors changed a lot from beginning to the end. (284 characters)

2.93/5  rDev -9.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3

Poured into a weizen glass.

3.25 A: Lightly hazed medium orange color. One and a half fingers of frothy white head. Retention is a bit below average and a short ring of lacing is left.

2.75 S: Smells of grenadine. That's about it. Lots and lots of grenadine. It has a pretty intense nose, but it doesn't smell a lot like beer.

2.75 T: Tastes like it smells, like they took a perfectly fine wheat beer and went nuts with the grenadine behind the bar. Hints of peppery spiciness as well.

3.75 M: Lighter medium body. Good moderate carbonation. Light creaminess. Good here.

3.0 D: I purchased a bunch of SA beers just for the sake of reviewing them here. I wasn't expecting much, but I always wasn't expecting that BBC turned into an adult fruit drink company. (762 characters)

2.64/5  rDev -18.5%

On-tap poured into a Sam Adam's Perfect Pint glass.

Appearance
Gold with 1 finger of white head. Slightly hazy with low carbonation.

Nose
Maraschino cherry and cherry cough syrup. Touches of lemon.

Taste
Pretty much cherry all around. A blend of maraschino cherry, cherry cough syrup and cherry hard candies. Hints of spent grain, lemon and wheat. There is some astringent earthy flavor in the finish.

Mouthfeel
Light-medium bodied, crisp and clean.

Overall
I used to really like this stuff when I first started drinking beer...not so much now. (549 characters)

1.83/5  rDev -43.5%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Bought a six pack on a day when the weather was nice. I thought it'd be a nice spring flavor.... Damn, was I mistaken.

A - Light golden color. Clear, and pleasant looking. Medium size head.

S - Tart cherry up front with a wheat back. Smells fresh and fruity.

T - Immediate tart cherry flavor which is pleasant, but quickly turns into a muddle wheat flavor. The wheat isn't crisp and clean, but an unpleasant, almost musty flavor which brings down the taste of the cherry. Awful finish and aftertaste.

M - Thin and somewhat carbonated. I can't quite put my finger on it, but something about this just doesn't feel right.

O - The appearance and smell are extremely deceptive. The taste just does not stand up to expectations. I had a hard time making it through one bottle, and couldn't even think about a whole six pack. I've had some wonderful tart cherry beers, but this one just doesn't work. They should have made it a Berliner weisse. It may have been a little more tart then, but at least it would have a clean, refreshing flavor. I usually rate Sam Adams in the upper end of mediocre, sometimes above, but this is a definite flop. (1,145 characters)

3.14/5  rDev -3.1%

Tap pull into a Samuel Adams glass. Typical wheat beer haze with an almost golden-green color. Nice two finger head that did not stick around for long but the ring did lace down the glass. Strong cherry scent on the nose.

Tastes of tart cherry and sourdough bread. A little off putting and first drink felt chalky in my mouth. I really like cherries but this was hard to finish and I can't really put my finger on why. This beer is not terrible, and I will probably give it another try sometime, but cannot honestly say it will be anytime soon. (545 characters)

3.32/5  rDev +2.5%

A lightly hazy sunset blonde in color. Couldn't scrounge up a head, other than a thin ring wall of foam.

Smells like a cross between cherry ice cream and wheat malts. Very sweet nose. Very one-note. Lightly hopped, it's just at the cusp of noticeable.

Much more beery after all. Wheat malts, cherry ice cream, light grassiness, background floral hops, vanilla bean, and finishing spice (grains of paradise?). So-so.

Feels average. Mild carb, languid and boring body. Ok.

Not as terrible as many make it out to be. Still nothing special. (540 characters)

2.94/5  rDev -9.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

This beer smells delicious. Very strong scent of cherries and very strong taste of cherries. Quite refreshing but a little overpowering at times. The only thing that is not satisfactory is that the beer stains the lines at bars and whatever is put on after the Cherry Wheat ends up having a faint(old) taste of cherries. The cherry taste is delightful but a bit too boastful. (375 characters)

1.41/5  rDev -56.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.25

This is not beer. This is why I can't buy Sam Adams' variety packs. I always end up with 3 of these nasty bastards. Sorry for that profanity...but it is appropriate here. Don't waste your money, even if you your looking for something that's a flavored brew. (257 characters)

3.8/5  rDev +17.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

(review #500 - and an extra special one, at that)

this may very well be one of the first, if not the first, "craft" beers I ever had...perhaps preceded by Sam Adams Boston Lager... haven't had this beauty but maybe once since I first went bonkers over it back in 1997... this possibly being the first time I've had it in 15+ years...it tastes exactly the same!!! way to go Boston Beer Co.!...

A: light golden, slight haze...white head, minimal lace, little retention

S: cherry extract / cough drop - very potent....graham cracker - potent enough itself.... no hops

T: cherry: extract, cough drop, candied (as - in a chocolate-covered cherry)... graham cracker, grainy, cereal-like malt flavor, but not malt sweetness....brown sugar, fresh-baked brown bread, toasty....grassy, "beer" flavor in the finish

M: fullish and smooth for what it is - the wheat and probably crystal malts have much to do with it.... if it drank thin, I'd probably puke

O: still tastes the same after all these years - amazing!....I loathe to admit it, but it's not all that bad a brew.... quirky and gimmicky - yes.... but, despite the quasi-artificiality of the cherry flavor, the balance and flavor profile is quite fine and, I dare say, I could have another...Lord knows, I downed a six pack just about day before noon on that spring break.... (1,327 characters)

3.52/5  rDev +8.6%

Poured this Cherry Wheat Beer from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass. Poured a hazy golden color, produced a small white head, average retention and an ample amount of lacing was left on the glass. The aroma consisted of soft wheat and maraschino cherries.- Aroma is outstanding. Light in body, the foundation contained malted wheat and tart cherries. For a fruit beer, crisp, refreshing and a nice session beer. (411 characters)

2.54/5  rDev -21.6%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

My girlfriend will actually drink this, so I decided to have one to see if it was any better than I remembered it being. 12 oz. bottle poured into a pint glass...

A - Pours a hazy, yellow-amber color. A full, off-white head forms about 2 fingers thick. Retains nicely.

S - The aroma starts with an artificial cherry scent. it mixes with a grainy, wheat aroma. Not much to it here.

T - The taste is much of the same with the grainy malts making more of an impact here than on the aroma. The "cherry" comes across as quite artificial and syrupy.

M - Medium bodied beer with a creamy mouthfeel. A moderate carbonation here.

O - Just as I remembered it. I just can't get into beers whose primary component comes across as artificial. I could see this being refreshing during the summer at a party where everyone drinks macros, but other than that, I won't be coming back to it. (879 characters)

3.96/5  rDev +22.2%

A - Light amber color, finger head that fades quickly, lacing on the glass.

S - Strong cherry smell, a little chaff

T - Tastes primarily of cherry pie, smoky

F - Typical macro carbonation to mask undesirable tastes, wish there was less

O - Great beer, not sure why it's rated so low. I had low expectations for this one but I've been pleasantly surprised. Favorite Sam Adams by far, will buy again. (402 characters)

1.7/5  rDev -47.5%

- It looks like beer
- It smells sort of like beer
- It certainly doesn't taste like beer
- It is an insult to your taste buds

I had to sign up to this site just to evaluate (I can't even bring myself to use the word B..r)this stuff.
I've had Mort Subite in Belgium that is and always will be my favorite beer. Yep it's made with cherries too but that's where the the comparison stops. I'm not going to spend much time on this review because this swill doesn't deserve it. No fancy phrasing or words needed here to describe this mediocre experiment...it's awful!!! Samuel Adams should be embarrassed to have released this stuff and whomever approuved and tested this concoction should be fired!

Well I don't want to seem too negative reviewing this product, because you really can't be too negative reviewing it if you really love drinking beer. (847 characters)

2.33/5  rDev -28.1%

Had in a bottle long before I was "into" craft beer. Had it again on tap once I entered the craft realm. Pours a wheaty, sunburst orange color, considerably hazy and basically perfectly opaque in the mid-section of the brew. Slightly off-white head is sparkly and foamy and recedes relatively quick leaving some mild lacing behind. The aroma is cherry. That's it. That's all. Just cherries. I mean, I could sit here and tell you "it has some wheat in the background", because it does, but you have to search so hard for it beneath the cherry blanket that by that point it isn't worth it anymore. The cherries smell sweet, tart, and actually a little medicinally cloying. Weird combination, right? I can't decide if this aroma is good or bad - but the fact that I must ask myself that question tells me it's probably the latter.

It hits my palate, medium bodied and heavily carbonated. And that's where shit hits the fan. WOW, the cherry presence is not only overwhelming, but it's basically the only thing you can taste. And as mentioned for the aroma, it's not a very "good" cherry perspective. Hints of the profile taste natural and real - some tartness and sweetness that couldn't be mistaken for anything but fresh cherries. However, it's like the brewers decided that it wasn't enough, and they took it a step further and added a butt-load of extra, artificial cherry flavor to push the flavor envelope of the max. Chalky, medicinal, vitamin-like. It's like, tart cherry cough syrup. Or a sweeter version of a cherry flavored Flintstones vitamin. Aftertaste has a slaughtered wheat profile, still majorly enveloped by the cherry onslaught.

Buuuh. Save yourself the trouble with this one. The cherry is just way too overdone and overpowering, nearly to the point of being undrinkable. And it's not the "fruit-lambic" kind of cherry. It's more of a "take your medicine" kind of cherry. Definitely not for me. (1,913 characters)

2.77/5  rDev -14.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

12oz bottle poured into pint glass

A- Hazy golden with lots of carbonation. Nice two white two finger head with excellent retention and lacing.

S- Tons of cherry sweetness

T- Takes off running from where the nose left off. Cherry sweetness followed by malty sweetness. Did I mention that it’s sweet?

M- Thin and fizzy. Not as crisp and tart like I would have expected it to be.

O- Way to sweet for my taste buds, but I might have found a beer my girlfriend would like! Seems way to sweet for a cherry wheat as if it’s jam packed with cherry artificial flavors rather than the natural tartness I was looking for. (620 characters)

2.63/5  rDev -18.8%

Appearance - Pours a hazy yellowish-amber color with an inch thick, creamy white head. Dissipates after 2 minutes and leaves a really nice lacing.

Smell - Has a very strong cherry aroma that reminds me of licorice. Very malty also

Taste - Overly sweet with a disgusting flavor that reminds me of Robitussin. It's very creamy and malty, with a little bit of wheat shining through at the end.

Mouthfeel - Medium, creamy body with medium carbonation.

Overall - In all honesty, this beer grosses me the hell out.. lol. The only thing I liked was the mouthfeel. (560 characters)

2.92/5  rDev -9.9%

12oz bottle with no date, came with a spring sampler

look is a red amber with a frothy head. smells strongly of bing cherries, with wheat in the background. taste follows with dry dusty wheat, white bread malt, and a slightly artificial cherry flavor. light feel, the cherry isn't cloying at all.

if this sounds good to you, you'll probably like it. it was just ok, im not a fan of the artificial cherry flavor. even though I know its brewed with real cherries, it still comes off tasting like robotussin at times. i wouldn't buy again but wouldn't turn it down. (564 characters)

4.53/5  rDev +39.8%

Poured into standard beer glass, light head, and light amber color. Excellent aroma, refreshing and flavorful. Taste is just like the smell, great wheat base with the crisp cherry notes. The perfect ratio of beer to cherry, not to much, not to little. A great beer to have year round. (284 characters)

4.84/5  rDev +49.4%

Poured from a bottle into a Sam Adams Glass.

Appearance: Cloudy hazy amber color. Very thin white head with mild lacing.

Smell: Cherries, lots of cherries. Some wheat and hop notes.

Mouthfeel/Taste: Smooth medium bodied. Delicious cherry and wheat flavors.

Overall: Excellent cherry wheat. Well balanced and flavorful. Always enjoy this brew. (346 characters)

3.92/5  rDev +21%

Drank this beer on a regular basis years ago. The wife and I had a sampler at the Yard House that included this beer. I was reminded of years gone by.

This beer is a light cloudy amber color, not much head. Smells wonderful. Now I'm not great at describing flovors but it tastes great. Cold, bubbly and sweet....with a toasty wheat finish, really nice. If Sam Adams fruits the beer...I'm fine with it. (402 characters)

4.64/5  rDev +43.2%

This beer is amazing. The flavor is very sweet which I don't usually enjoy, but in this case it seems to be done wonderfully. I had it on tap, into a pint glass and it was one of the better beers I have ever had. The appearance is like a light weizen, not red like I expected. The smell is beautiful with a bright cherry scent. The taste is brilliant cherry - as I said sweet, but not overbearing. The mouthfeel is nothing special, not bad, but nothing to write home about - definitely nothing left over but a great taste. Overall, I highly recommend it - even for a flavored beer. (581 characters)

3.55/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a Celebrator pokal. Pours a hazy light golden amber with a fine, thin white head and light lacing. Aroma dominated by cherry juice, wheat and a hint of biscuit malt. Flavor is light wheat, bready malt and cherry juice. Cherry is not as dominating as in the aroma. Finishes dry with light hops and sour cherry, slightly astringent. Nice medium body; surprising light creaminess for a low ABV wheat beer. I liked this better than I thought I would, the initial flavor is well balanced and different. Finish is a bit unbalanced and sharp. Interesting. (560 characters)

3.66/5  rDev +13%

Another beer that has been around while and I never got to.
Really nice aroma. Reminded me of a cherry tart with a nice toasty wheat character wrapped around the sweet fruit. Quite nice.
Smallish head. I imagined this to have more red to the color, but not so much. Slightly cloudy and amber colors away from reds.
I didn't enjoy the taste as much as the aroma. The fruit and toasted wheat didn't seem to blend as well here, seeming more distinct and separate. I really liked the toasted grain flavor. The cherry was more sweet than tart although not overly so. Mild drying.
Rather full from the carbonation which took away for me.
Nice fall beer though. I can see this with festiveness of T-giving.
Thanks Bry for the bottle. (726 characters)

2.44/5  rDev -24.7%

Part of a mixed Summer pack, cleaning up my leftovers for Fall.

A- The beer received by my pint glass is a hazy light amber. A massive foamy white head forms to about three fingers and settles nicely with good retention. Tons of lace as the head falls and nice webs all down the glass.

S- A blast of cherry to say the least. It isn't overly artificial but you can tell flavoring was used, it says on the bottle too. It would be quite difficult to get such an aroma naturally, something like Slush Puppy Cherry mixed with real fruit. Slight grain and bread hints behind it all.

T- The candy cherry flavor shows up here too but doesn't dominate like in the aroma. It is still strong but other things blend in with it like cereal grain, yeast bread and tiny hint of wheat. The cherry gets pretty medicinal, like cough syrup, after just a few sips.

MF- Creamy overall feel to a light bodied beer. The wheat must be responsible for some of the silky texture. Moderate level of carbonation and some bitterness that doesn't feel that good with the medicinal flavors.

If the cherry flavor wasn't quite as medicinal, this wouldn't be a bad light beer at all. With each sip the fruit flavor just seems to feel more and more fake. (1,224 characters)

Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)