Follow our progress ...

Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat | Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

YOUR RATING = None |
Read the review

Samuel Adams Cherry WheatSamuel Adams Cherry Wheat

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States | website

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Added by BeerAdvocate on 01-25-2001

Reviews: 1,149 | Ratings: 3,783
3.79/5  rDev +17.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Solid beer, one of my favorite beers to kick back with. If you like the taste of beer an want a nice hint of fruit, then this is a very good pick. If you do not like the taste of beer, then I would suggest something different, but for those that can enjoy a good beer this is a solid choice.

4.32/5  rDev +34.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

The cherry comes through big time in the aroma. In the flavor, it helps to mild the normal potent aftertaste of the wheat and just sort of hangs out in the back. A really nice and mild beer.

3.07/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

I put this in a build your own six pack. Very happy I did. Has a very distinct cherry taste but not over done. At first drink or tastes like a Dr. Pepper without the sweetness. I think I found another summer beer.

3.28/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 5

Poured into snifter. Color was that of lemonade and ocean water (weird but what I saw).

Aroma was a little overwhelming of turnips and chocolate.

Taste was very good. The chocolate was more suddle than expected. No taste of turnips. It had a slight merlot flavour (must be from the cherrys).

Overall it is amazing. 5 out of 5.

1.96/5  rDev -39.1%

Drank from the bottle, so I can't comment on looks.
It smelled strongly like cherry, maybe a hint of a wheat beer smell to it.
Tasted strongly of cherry and beer. I like cherries and I like beer, but the combination does not work for me. I found it hard to choke down.

3.58/5  rDev +11.2%

12 ounce bottle into signature pint glass, best before 6/2015. Pours lightly hazy golden orange color with a 1 finger dense off white head with good retention, that reduces to a small cap that lingers. Nice spotty soapy lacing clings down the glass, with a good amount of streaming carbonation retaining the head. Aromas of black cherry, wheat, cracker, biscuit, light honey, and herbal/grassy earthiness. Nice and pleasant aromas with good balance of black cherry and bready malt notes; with solid strength. Taste of black cherry, wheat, cracker, biscuit, light honey, and herbal/grassy earthiness. Minimal earthy bitterness on the finish; with lingering notes of black cherry, wheat, cracker, biscuit, light honey, and herbal/grassy earthiness on the finish for a short bit. Good balance and robustness of black cherry and bready malt flavors; with zero cloying flavors after the finish. Medium carbonation and body; with a very smooth and lightly creamy/bready mouthfeel that is nice. Alcohol is well hidden with zero warming present after the finish as expected of 5.3%. Overall this is a good fruit wheat beer. All around good balance and robustness of black cherry and bready malt flavors; and very smooth to drink. A nicely enjoyable offering.

4.64/5  rDev +44.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Very Cherry like... But very good... taste is pretty bland, slight dry cherry taste. it tastes better than it smells, i was expecting something different once i smelled it. i can definitely see where people have said it's cherry cough syrup + dr pepper.

3.81/5  rDev +18.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

On tap is significantly better than the bottle for some odd reason. The cherry on tap was rather flavorful compared to the bottle where it was less prevalent.

2.9/5  rDev -9.9%

Not a fan of cherry but I figured I would try it. It's light but the cherry ruins it for me. Drinkable one bottle at a time but I couldn't have more than one.

3.81/5  rDev +18.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

This beer gets hated on a lot, but honestly it is what it says it is: cherry flavored beer. I mean what were you expecting? Complaints abound it tastes like cough syrup. That’s because, guess what people, a lot of cough syrups are cherry flavored. It probably also tastes like a lot of cherry pies too, go figure.
I may never buy it again (then again who knows maybe I will – stranger things have happened). It’s not nearly as awful as you may’ve been led to believe. While I’ll admit if I had to drink several of these at once it’d drive me batty, it’s something different, change of pace that sorta thing.

1.96/5  rDev -39.1%
look: 3 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.75

I didn't really enjoy it, when I was a youth I drank to get drunk, but recently I've started drinking beer to enjoy my beer, unfortunately, I thought I would enjoy this one. Now I enjoy ales, and I thought this would be good, but unfortunately I thought it was just too much like a dry cough syrup.

3.87/5  rDev +20.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

Slight haze with some lacing. Cherry sweetness stands out in the aroma. Crisp and refreshing with a hint of bitterness at the back end. Overall a very good summer beer.

1.76/5  rDev -45.3%

I generally consider Sam Adams to be a good (not great), quality brewer. And while I was at first reluctant to give them a try, I have found many "fruity" beers that I find quite enjoyable. But Sam's Cherry Wheat was a major disappointment. The dominant, overpowering flavor was, to me, far too reminiscent of cherry cough syrup. And not in a good way. As cough syrup, a cherry cough syrup flavor is fine. Mixed with beer, not so much. A rare beer that to me was undrinkable. I tried one from a six-pack, didn't finish it, and gave the remaining five away.

3.79/5  rDev +17.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

I had really high hopes for this brew. It had a great aroma and it felt great texture-wise. I do feel that the cherry flavor was a bit overwhelming, but it had a wonderful aftertaste.

I went into this one pretty leery, but have to say it wasn't too bad. It has a good start, but feels like it could use a couple more tweaks. It is on the heavy side for a wheat beer and there is the slightest hint of cough syrup flavor behind the wheat and cherry. With a little tweaking, this could be pretty good.

Would Drink Again: Yes
Would Purchase Again: No

3.07/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

looks like a blonde ale with maybe a slight amber tinge, decent head to it

smells exactly like cherry cough syrup.

3.34/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

I had such low expectations with this beer, but despite the overwhelming cherry aroma, the taste is actually good, a nice weizen with a hinch of cherry, not bad at all.

I had this beer a few months ago. Thank goodness I didn't buy it. A friend brought a six pack over to the house. Thought it was a good idea due to the fact I'm from Boston originally. Back to the beer taste horrible don't know what Sam Adams was thinking. Just not my swag at all. I am not into any fruity beer period. I like the fact the company tried an experiment, but epic fail in my opinion.

3.85/5  rDev +19.6%

i can only drink one bottle of this at a sitting. more than that and the fruit flavors start to get sickly on me. but that one first cold bottle for me is a good one. the cherry is brightly fruity and pronounced. the wheat is decent but i suspect could be better

1.36/5  rDev -57.8%
look: 3 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

This beer is revolting. It's like someone mixed a wheat beer with Dr Pepper. I got sucked in by having bought and enjoyed Samuel Adam's Cold Snap (which is pretty good) but when it ran out this took it's place. Yuck. I am on the ground with minimal sight and following the lights to the exit. GOOD DAY.

4.54/5  rDev +41%

So I used to think this was just OK until I took a tour at Sam Adams, my sister had given me a goodie from her law school and apparently most of the tour guides were law students they let us stay after the tour and when they "washed" out my sample glass they poured me the cherry wheat on draft and it blew my mind. It's upsetting that the stuff outside of boston comes from a diffrent brewery.

It's a great beer because the cherry taste is very well assimilated. I am impressed with the company lately and they are one of the bigger ones that can pull novel beers like this off. The taste is not medicinal or anything other than a natural overtone. I liked it. Not my favorite, but it's good.

2.77/5  rDev -14%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

L: Pours a hazy golden color with a bit of red/orange to it. Topped off with a bubbly and thick white head to it. Decent lace and plenty of carbonation

S: Cherries and honey. That is the dominating scent to it. Bit of maltiness as well, but it's mainly cherries with a hint of honey. Almost like a sweet cereal. Not an overly bad smelling beer if not a little gimmicky.

T: Like the scent, the main ingredient here is Cherry. You'd hope so also since it is a "Cherry Wheat" after all. It does stay fairly true to the name to give it credit. It's heavy on the cherry flavor, almost to a cough mediciny degree. And not the real cherry flavor either, but like the artificial flavor of a cherry coke. Biscuit, honey, and malt are also present, but the cherry is the overbearing lead singer. Tastes far too much like a cough syrup at times. It isn't the worst combination of flavors, the Cherry is just too much.

F: It's a light and frothy beer. Very tingly on the tongue. Bitter and lingering aftertaste of, you guessed it, medicine.

O: I am so torn on this because I want to like it for the concept. It does do a few things right. There are some great subtle flavors in there like the biscuit, honey, and malt, but they are just overpowered by the impending robitussin-esque combination of Cherry and alcohol. I mean, it's not sink pour bad, but I would definitely only use it as a last resort beer at a party you didn't want to go to but are now stuck at for several hours. Bit disappointing since Sam Adams has always been one of my favorite craft/major brews, but not everything can be outstanding.

2.79/5  rDev -13.4%

Bottle BB 3/15 at about 42 degrees into 8 oz glass
Aroma of cherry cough syrup
Head small (2 cm, aggressive pour), white, frothy, diminishing to 5 mm ring with 1 mm bullseye layer
Lacing good – nearly complete rings of tiny bubbles
Body medium yellow, clear
Flavor extremely sweet cherry cough syrup followed by a bitter chemical aftertaste. No hops, no malt, no alcohol, no diacetyl.
Palate medium, creamy, fizzy carbonation

Appearance 4.5, Aroma 3, Flavor 2, Palate 3.5, Overall 3.25

4.66/5  rDev +44.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is probably my favorite beer of the Samuel Adams line. Excellent flavor, and nice cloudy appearance as a wheat beer should have. Not available everywhere I've been, though, which is unfortunate.

Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)