Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Cherry WheatSamuel Adams Cherry Wheat

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.30% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-25-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,138 | Hads: 3,689
3.87/5  rDev +20.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

Slight haze with some lacing. Cherry sweetness stands out in the aroma. Crisp and refreshing with a hint of bitterness at the back end. Overall a very good summer beer.

1.76/5  rDev -45.3%

I generally consider Sam Adams to be a good (not great), quality brewer. And while I was at first reluctant to give them a try, I have found many "fruity" beers that I find quite enjoyable. But Sam's Cherry Wheat was a major disappointment. The dominant, overpowering flavor was, to me, far too reminiscent of cherry cough syrup. And not in a good way. As cough syrup, a cherry cough syrup flavor is fine. Mixed with beer, not so much. A rare beer that to me was undrinkable. I tried one from a six-pack, didn't finish it, and gave the remaining five away.

3.79/5  rDev +17.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

I had really high hopes for this brew. It had a great aroma and it felt great texture-wise. I do feel that the cherry flavor was a bit overwhelming, but it had a wonderful aftertaste.

I went into this one pretty leery, but have to say it wasn't too bad. It has a good start, but feels like it could use a couple more tweaks. It is on the heavy side for a wheat beer and there is the slightest hint of cough syrup flavor behind the wheat and cherry. With a little tweaking, this could be pretty good.

Wouldn't buy again, but not bad.

3.07/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

looks like a blonde ale with maybe a slight amber tinge, decent head to it

smells exactly like cherry cough syrup.

taste is pretty bland, slight dry cherry taste. it tastes better than it smells, i was expecting something different once i smelled it. i can definitely see where people have said it's cherry cough syrup + dr pepper

3.34/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

I had such low expectations with this beer, but despite the overwhelming cherry aroma, the taste is actually good, a nice weizen with a hinch of cherry, not bad at all.

I had this beer a few months ago. Thank goodness I didn't buy it. A friend brought a six pack over to the house. Thought it was a good idea due to the fact I'm from Boston originally. Back to the beer taste horrible don't know what Sam Adams was thinking. Just not my swag at all. I am not into any fruity beer period. I like the fact the company tried an experiment, but epic fail in my opinion.

3.85/5  rDev +19.6%

i can only drink one bottle of this at a sitting. more than that and the fruit flavors start to get sickly on me. but that one first cold bottle for me is a good one. the cherry is brightly fruity and pronounced. the wheat is decent but i suspect could be better

1.36/5  rDev -57.8%
look: 3 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

This beer is revolting. It's like someone mixed a wheat beer with Dr Pepper. I got sucked in by having bought and enjoyed Samuel Adam's Cold Snap (which is pretty good) but when it ran out this took it's place. Yuck. I am on the ground with minimal sight and following the lights to the exit. GOOD DAY.

4.54/5  rDev +41%

So I used to think this was just OK until I took a tour at Sam Adams, my sister had given me a goodie from her law school and apparently most of the tour guides were law students they let us stay after the tour and when they "washed" out my sample glass they poured me the cherry wheat on draft and it blew my mind. It's upsetting that the stuff outside of boston comes from a diffrent brewery.

It's a great beer because the cherry taste is very well assimilated. I am impressed with the company lately and they are one of the bigger ones that can pull novel beers like this off. The taste is not medicinal or anything other than a natural overtone. I liked it. Not my favorite, but it's good.

2.77/5  rDev -14%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

L: Pours a hazy golden color with a bit of red/orange to it. Topped off with a bubbly and thick white head to it. Decent lace and plenty of carbonation

S: Cherries and honey. That is the dominating scent to it. Bit of maltiness as well, but it's mainly cherries with a hint of honey. Almost like a sweet cereal. Not an overly bad smelling beer if not a little gimmicky.

T: Like the scent, the main ingredient here is Cherry. You'd hope so also since it is a "Cherry Wheat" after all. It does stay fairly true to the name to give it credit. It's heavy on the cherry flavor, almost to a cough mediciny degree. And not the real cherry flavor either, but like the artificial flavor of a cherry coke. Biscuit, honey, and malt are also present, but the cherry is the overbearing lead singer. Tastes far too much like a cough syrup at times. It isn't the worst combination of flavors, the Cherry is just too much.

F: It's a light and frothy beer. Very tingly on the tongue. Bitter and lingering aftertaste of, you guessed it, medicine.

O: I am so torn on this because I want to like it for the concept. It does do a few things right. There are some great subtle flavors in there like the biscuit, honey, and malt, but they are just overpowered by the impending robitussin-esque combination of Cherry and alcohol. I mean, it's not sink pour bad, but I would definitely only use it as a last resort beer at a party you didn't want to go to but are now stuck at for several hours. Bit disappointing since Sam Adams has always been one of my favorite craft/major brews, but not everything can be outstanding.

2.79/5  rDev -13.4%

Bottle BB 3/15 at about 42 degrees into 8 oz glass
Aroma of cherry cough syrup
Head small (2 cm, aggressive pour), white, frothy, diminishing to 5 mm ring with 1 mm bullseye layer
Lacing good – nearly complete rings of tiny bubbles
Body medium yellow, clear
Flavor extremely sweet cherry cough syrup followed by a bitter chemical aftertaste. No hops, no malt, no alcohol, no diacetyl.
Palate medium, creamy, fizzy carbonation

Appearance 4.5, Aroma 3, Flavor 2, Palate 3.5, Overall 3.25

4.66/5  rDev +44.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is probably my favorite beer of the Samuel Adams line. Excellent flavor, and nice cloudy appearance as a wheat beer should have. Not available everywhere I've been, though, which is unfortunate.

3.91/5  rDev +21.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Stable head. About three fingers tall and doesn't go anywhere. Eventually when it does it leaves great lacing.

The body is a beautiful apricot glow, hazy with just enough light penetrating to enhance the beauty.

Aroma is of fresh picked cherries and hop. Some dark wheat notes also permeate the nose. Cherry in its natural fruit form is definitely there.

Taste is surprisingly awesome. It is fairly linear. It's got this mellow cherry buzz going on with a rush of clean wheat washed in cherry juice. The end is of earthy wheat and faint memories of a hop

Medium bodied, ends crisp, clean, dry.

I'd buy a sixer of this and store it in my fridge. It's about like Blue Moon in the way that it would probably go with any similar food pairings. I like it.

4.09/5  rDev +27%

This is by far my favorite Sam Adams varietal. Look is an expected unfiltered wheat. The cherry essence is very prevalent in the aroma; it entices you to the best part, the taste!
The blend of cherry and wheat beer is a perfect balance when you're looking for a good, honest, fruit-forward beer.

3.93/5  rDev +22%

An obvious classic. Any time of year, any food pairing. Pairs well with Cosmic Fog Milk and Honey ejuice. Pleasant aroma heavy of cherry , thick creamy white head that dissipates quickly. The viscosity is a bit thick with a hint of carbonation. The artificial cherry flavor stings your tounge slightly but the hoppy wheat like flavor kind of balances it out . An easy drinker . Great beer overall.

3.54/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Ahhh... Sam Cherry Wheat... a guilty pleasure of mine for years. As a more refined beer drinker, I'm not supposed to like this... but I do. Perhaps since it is brewed with MI cherries and I am a son of the mitten state. Maybe because it brings me back to my youth, with cherry cough syrup nostalgia. Or possibly because it's just a unique and flavorful beer experience that conjures fond memories. Poured in to a tulip glass, it fills with a hazy, golden honey color and one inch of white froth. The head dissipated quickly, leaving only a thin ring atop the nectar-like liquid. Maraschino cherries and honey sweetness in the nose. A touch of cereal grain and subtle noble hop character. There is certainly ample cherry flavor that brings a medicinal quality, but it is washed away in the finish with a wheat thin like aftertaste. The hops brighten the beer with only a hint of bitterness. The mouthfeel is average, but suits the brew well. It is deliciously drinkable for such a polarizing concoction. This is sure to turn some people off with its cherry lozenge likeness, but to others it's a perfect pleasure that can be savored on occasion. I typically crush these pretty quickly, so maybe savor is the wrong word. Maybe I drink them fast because it has a relatively tame ABV and it's refreshing. Or possibly because I want to hide the evidence as quickly as possible. Either way, I will continue to enjoy these from time to time.

3.24/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Anyone that buys a beer that has a fruit in it's name and then complains it just plain ignorant. The label tells you exactly what you're going to taste and for what it is, it's darn good.

My favorite Sam Adams. A friend in Michigan told me about this years before I could find it here in the South and it did not disappoint. This a beer for people who say they don't like beer and a nice dessert for beer lovers. It smells as sweet as it tastes but is amazingly fresh! And the sweetness doesn't taste artificial but genuinely seems to come from the cherries.

3.1/5  rDev -3.7%

I liked the cherry aroma and taste. The rest of this beer was very average. Pours a clear dark gold color with a small white head. Average head retention and no lacing.

Sweet cherry aroma and some sweet cherry in the taste. The rest of the flavor comes from a pretty bland, slightly malty beer.

Mouthfeel is average richness but not much else. IT goes down easy enough but there is not enough here except the cherry flavor. Sub-par.

2.39/5  rDev -25.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

I like Sam Adams and have had many beers from them, and I tried this with high expectation as wheat beers are one of my favorite styles and bought a six pack. Smell is cherry cough drops almost and sugary with a little hop and yeast smell. Color is light red maybe almost a darker pink. Head disappears quickly to almost nothing but with lacing. The taste is light medium feel and a sugary artificial cherry flavor to a little bit of hops and then the wheat beer comes through. I forced finished one and later on could not finish the second because the flavor just became unpleasant and ended up dumping the rest.

3.33/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

12 oz. bottle poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a hazy gold/straw with a one-finger white head that shows good retention. Lacing is heavy. Carbonation seems above average. Pretty nice looking beer.

Aroma: Cherries, cherries, cherries. The cherry smell really dominates the nose. It's a tiny bit like cough medicine. I was hoping it'd smell like pie, but it's not totally off-putting.

Taste: Lots more cherries. The wheat flavor is buried under a mountain of cherries; I'm not sure I'd know it was wheat-based beer if I drank it blind. It's not bad, but it's slightly medicinal, like the aroma that preceded it.

Mouthfeel: Pretty thin. Probably should be thin, but I still like a little more body in a wheat beer.

Overall: Like most fruit beers, it's OK as a weird change of pace. Curious if you could cook with it - desserts, maybe. Otherwise passable.

1.75/5  rDev -45.7%

Ugh. Undrinkable on its own, it really shines when paired with a Guinness or Young's Chocolate stout in a half n half. Try it, you may be surprised. Never drink it alone though. That's a recipe for sadness.

3.8/5  rDev +18%

Of all the wheats I have tried, this one is the only one I'd actually buy a 6-pack of in the summertime. Maybe it's because I like cherries so much, I don't know. But this one was quite enjoyable.

Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)