Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Cherry WheatSamuel Adams Cherry Wheat

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.30% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-25-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,132 | Hads: 3,665
1.09/5  rDev -66.1%

Poured into a glass mug.

A- Orange/amber color with 2 finger head that fizzles away. It looks ok.

S- Fake cherry smell, like cherry cough medicine, some alcohol. Some hops.

T- Cherry cough medicine. Nasty! Very harsh taste.

M- Medium body and good carbonation. But the taste really makes this beer not at all refreshing or crisp.

Drinkability- Horrible, I couldn't get past a few sips. Drain Pour.

O- Overall, this is a bad beer. The taste is of cherry cough medicine. I don't recommend this beer at all.

Appearance: medium carbonation, 1/4 inch head, clear, reddish-gold in color

Smell:sweet and tart cherries and light wheat

Taste: sweet and tart cherries, light wheat

Mouthfeel: medium body, moderate carbonation, sweet

Overall: An old time favorite and one that I find refreshing. I try to get a six of this a year. The cherries are present but never too sweet. One of Sam's better classic beers.

3.84/5  rDev +19.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Sam Adams Cherry Wheat is Probably a Beer you are either going to Really Like,or Pour down the sink because you Can't drink it,There is not much of a Middle Ground with this beer,if you REALLY like Cherries,and enjoy Fruit Beers & Ales,then chances are you will like this Beer a LOT,I Happen to think it is a wonderful Beer,a Very well Crafted Beer to be sure~ this Beer looks quite nice when poured,a somewhat semi Amber/Golden Hue,with a very Lively Carbonation & Fluffy head,and quite a good amount of Lacing for a wheat Beer,you just can tell that the Brewer took their time with this beer~as good as it looks,it is the Smell,that Cherry Aroma that really Floored me the first time I had this Beer,as soon as I popped the top on a 12oz Bottle of Cherry Wheat,that sweet Cherry aroma just filled the room,very pronounced 4 sure!~Taste,While this Beer Certainly has a Sweet Edge up front mixed with a bit of Grainy,Malty flavor,it has a very Dry,Tart Cherry Finish, that to me is Very Nice Indeed!
As Much as I like this Beer,I really can not see drinking it all Night,and though I do not think it is Overly sweet for the type of Beer it is,after 2 or 3 I can see the sweetness Catching up & turning a Bit Syrup like,Not what I would call a Session Beer @ all,but a GR8 Fruit Beer overall~
As far as Food Pairings,perhaps would be Nice with some block cheese and Crackers,Grapes,Cherries [Of Course],Other Crisp Fruits Like Apples or Pears,Goes very Nice with a Slice of Cherry Pie,Cheers and Peace2All:)

3.73/5  rDev +15.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: Gold in color. One inch head that dissipates to a lacing.

Smell: The smell of cherries is overwhelming at first, but then calms down. Lasts the entire beer.

Taste: Cherry taste is apparent right away and is very sweet.

Mouthfeel: Smooth feel with some burning on the tongue.

Overall: A nice relaxing beer to have. Enjoyable with a cherry taste.

2.73/5  rDev -15.2%

(Served in a Sam Adams glass)
A- This beer pours a hazy orange body with a racing carbonation supporting a thin film of snow white.

S- the bright full aroma of linden’s cherry cough drops dominates the aroma with no malt coming through at all.

T- The cherry flavor is chemical and has a medicinal bitterness to it with some corn DMS that lingers in a dry finish. There is also and artificial cherry flavor that hangs on long after each sip aswell.

M- The medium-light mouthfeel finishes with a tight fizz.

O- The artificial cherry flavor and strong corn flavor make it hard to drink and any other flavors are well hidden underneath those.

3.33/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

A: Cloudy: The wheat portion I am assuming. Foamy, one finger head. Color is golden orange.

S: Cherry overpowers the wheat scents into submission. Sweet. I smell many different sugars. I feel like I am smelling a bottle of grenadine.

T: Not what I expected at all. Cherry completely overpowers any semblance of beer throughout. Where is the wheat portion of the beer? I have had many different wheat and fruit combinations, but this is one of the worst in that the cherry isn't even good. It tastes like someone accidently dropped a shirley temple into my Leine Sunset Wheat.

M: Beer is simply smooth. The mouthfeel is great... even if the taste is not.

O: Not impressed. Many Samuel Adam's beers have earned my respects. This is not one of them. Granted, the sweetness will be loved by many drinkers... just not this one.

2.2/5  rDev -31.7%

Thanks, Erik. Split a bottle because I expected some sweetness from this thing. Poured into a wine glass from a 12oz bottle.

Pours a sunny, slightly deep amber color, complete with about two fingers worth of head. Nothing's too unfiltered with this thing, even with the alleged addition of wheat. Relatively clear, with enough bubbles gathering towards the top. Looks actually pretty lively, although I'd never expect any cherry or wheat in this thing simply by looking at it.

The aroma is where things start to get strange. Immediately, you're pelted with an enormous candied, slightly medicinal aroma that resembles a combination of cherry taffy, maraschino cherries, and, as I later realized, the chemical-y properties of Twizzlers. Can't make any grains, malts, wheat, or hops underneath this concoction. Syrupy sweet, with strange chemical candied odors. This gets progressively worse as it warms up.

The flavor is a little better, although definitely far too medicinal and candied for my own patience. There's an initial rush of grainy flavors, as well as slight thickness imparted by the wheat malts, but it soon gets a little thinned and follows with the enormous cherry flavor - this time only slightly medicinal. At first, it actually reminds me of plump, black cherries, which doesn't work too well with the thinned wheat body of the beer, but strangely quite well on its own. The cherry flavor does get progressively more medicinal and gag-inducing as it warms up, however, and manages to obfuscate the initial wheat and grain crispness that was holding the fort well. I honestly found it tough to stomach over 6oz of this.

I honestly cannot understand the widespread appeal of this. In the same manner of Twizzlers and cough syrup, this is far to sweet and cloying under longterm consumption. There's not much balance to this, and while this *could* be refreshing, it would have to be pounded to avoid the cloying sweetness from creeping up to room temperature. Really weird stuff - I actually love cherries (and krieks, even those that are sweetened), but rather than being dessert-like or robust, this tastes unusually artificial and candied. I might as well get a cheap wheat beer and fill it with homemade cherry syrup (in the same vein of Berliner Weisses). I'm starting to wonder by now if ANY wheat beer infused with fruit flavoring is worth my time. We shall see, until my palate gives up.

3.58/5  rDev +11.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from 12oz bottle into Chimay glass.
Gold color with small head and some lace.
Aroma of cherry vanilla soda.
Modest carbonation and mouthfeel.
Flavors of cherry vanilla soda, light ginger, lemongrass, apricot. Overall relatively light, refreshing, sweet, with a slight spice and bitterness.

3.5/5  rDev +8.7%

A: Orange in color and very cloudy with a white head.

S: It's a sweet smelling beer with cherry and grain notes.

T: Has a cherry flavor up front and wheat flavors near the end.

M: A very smooth/medium bodied beer.

O: I like how the flavors changed a lot from beginning to the end.

2.93/5  rDev -9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3

Poured into a weizen glass.

3.25 A: Lightly hazed medium orange color. One and a half fingers of frothy white head. Retention is a bit below average and a short ring of lacing is left.

2.75 S: Smells of grenadine. That's about it. Lots and lots of grenadine. It has a pretty intense nose, but it doesn't smell a lot like beer.

2.75 T: Tastes like it smells, like they took a perfectly fine wheat beer and went nuts with the grenadine behind the bar. Hints of peppery spiciness as well.

3.75 M: Lighter medium body. Good moderate carbonation. Light creaminess. Good here.

3.0 D: I purchased a bunch of SA beers just for the sake of reviewing them here. I wasn't expecting much, but I always wasn't expecting that BBC turned into an adult fruit drink company.

2.64/5  rDev -18%

On-tap poured into a Sam Adam's Perfect Pint glass.

Gold with 1 finger of white head. Slightly hazy with low carbonation.

Maraschino cherry and cherry cough syrup. Touches of lemon.

Pretty much cherry all around. A blend of maraschino cherry, cherry cough syrup and cherry hard candies. Hints of spent grain, lemon and wheat. There is some astringent earthy flavor in the finish.

Light-medium bodied, crisp and clean.

I used to really like this stuff when I first started drinking beer...not so much now.

1.83/5  rDev -43.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Bought a six pack on a day when the weather was nice. I thought it'd be a nice spring flavor.... Damn, was I mistaken.

A - Light golden color. Clear, and pleasant looking. Medium size head.

S - Tart cherry up front with a wheat back. Smells fresh and fruity.

T - Immediate tart cherry flavor which is pleasant, but quickly turns into a muddle wheat flavor. The wheat isn't crisp and clean, but an unpleasant, almost musty flavor which brings down the taste of the cherry. Awful finish and aftertaste.

M - Thin and somewhat carbonated. I can't quite put my finger on it, but something about this just doesn't feel right.

O - The appearance and smell are extremely deceptive. The taste just does not stand up to expectations. I had a hard time making it through one bottle, and couldn't even think about a whole six pack. I've had some wonderful tart cherry beers, but this one just doesn't work. They should have made it a Berliner weisse. It may have been a little more tart then, but at least it would have a clean, refreshing flavor. I usually rate Sam Adams in the upper end of mediocre, sometimes above, but this is a definite flop.

3.14/5  rDev -2.5%

Tap pull into a Samuel Adams glass. Typical wheat beer haze with an almost golden-green color. Nice two finger head that did not stick around for long but the ring did lace down the glass. Strong cherry scent on the nose.

Tastes of tart cherry and sourdough bread. A little off putting and first drink felt chalky in my mouth. I really like cherries but this was hard to finish and I can't really put my finger on why. This beer is not terrible, and I will probably give it another try sometime, but cannot honestly say it will be anytime soon.

3.32/5  rDev +3.1%

A lightly hazy sunset blonde in color. Couldn't scrounge up a head, other than a thin ring wall of foam.

Smells like a cross between cherry ice cream and wheat malts. Very sweet nose. Very one-note. Lightly hopped, it's just at the cusp of noticeable.

Much more beery after all. Wheat malts, cherry ice cream, light grassiness, background floral hops, vanilla bean, and finishing spice (grains of paradise?). So-so.

Feels average. Mild carb, languid and boring body. Ok.

Not as terrible as many make it out to be. Still nothing special.

2.94/5  rDev -8.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

This beer smells delicious. Very strong scent of cherries and very strong taste of cherries. Quite refreshing but a little overpowering at times. The only thing that is not satisfactory is that the beer stains the lines at bars and whatever is put on after the Cherry Wheat ends up having a faint(old) taste of cherries. The cherry taste is delightful but a bit too boastful.

1.41/5  rDev -56.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.25

This is not beer. This is why I can't buy Sam Adams' variety packs. I always end up with 3 of these nasty bastards. Sorry for that profanity...but it is appropriate here. Don't waste your money, even if you your looking for something that's a flavored brew.

3.8/5  rDev +18%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

(review #500 - and an extra special one, at that)

this may very well be one of the first, if not the first, "craft" beers I ever had...perhaps preceded by Sam Adams Boston Lager... haven't had this beauty but maybe once since I first went bonkers over it back in 1997... this possibly being the first time I've had it in 15+ years...it tastes exactly the same!!! way to go Boston Beer Co.!...

A: light golden, slight haze...white head, minimal lace, little retention

S: cherry extract / cough drop - very potent....graham cracker - potent enough itself.... no hops

T: cherry: extract, cough drop, candied (as - in a chocolate-covered cherry)... graham cracker, grainy, cereal-like malt flavor, but not malt sweetness....brown sugar, fresh-baked brown bread, toasty....grassy, "beer" flavor in the finish

M: fullish and smooth for what it is - the wheat and probably crystal malts have much to do with it.... if it drank thin, I'd probably puke

O: still tastes the same after all these years - amazing!....I loathe to admit it, but it's not all that bad a brew.... quirky and gimmicky - yes.... but, despite the quasi-artificiality of the cherry flavor, the balance and flavor profile is quite fine and, I dare say, I could have another...Lord knows, I downed a six pack just about day before noon on that spring break....

3.52/5  rDev +9.3%

Poured this Cherry Wheat Beer from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass. Poured a hazy golden color, produced a small white head, average retention and an ample amount of lacing was left on the glass. The aroma consisted of soft wheat and maraschino cherries.- Aroma is outstanding. Light in body, the foundation contained malted wheat and tart cherries. For a fruit beer, crisp, refreshing and a nice session beer.

2.54/5  rDev -21.1%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

My girlfriend will actually drink this, so I decided to have one to see if it was any better than I remembered it being. 12 oz. bottle poured into a pint glass...

A - Pours a hazy, yellow-amber color. A full, off-white head forms about 2 fingers thick. Retains nicely.

S - The aroma starts with an artificial cherry scent. it mixes with a grainy, wheat aroma. Not much to it here.

T - The taste is much of the same with the grainy malts making more of an impact here than on the aroma. The "cherry" comes across as quite artificial and syrupy.

M - Medium bodied beer with a creamy mouthfeel. A moderate carbonation here.

O - Just as I remembered it. I just can't get into beers whose primary component comes across as artificial. I could see this being refreshing during the summer at a party where everyone drinks macros, but other than that, I won't be coming back to it.

3.96/5  rDev +23%

A - Light amber color, finger head that fades quickly, lacing on the glass.

S - Strong cherry smell, a little chaff

T - Tastes primarily of cherry pie, smoky

F - Typical macro carbonation to mask undesirable tastes, wish there was less

O - Great beer, not sure why it's rated so low. I had low expectations for this one but I've been pleasantly surprised. Favorite Sam Adams by far, will buy again.

1.7/5  rDev -47.2%

- It looks like beer
- It smells sort of like beer
- It certainly doesn't taste like beer
- It is an insult to your taste buds

I had to sign up to this site just to evaluate (I can't even bring myself to use the word B..r)this stuff.
I've had Mort Subite in Belgium that is and always will be my favorite beer. Yep it's made with cherries too but that's where the the comparison stops. I'm not going to spend much time on this review because this swill doesn't deserve it. No fancy phrasing or words needed here to describe this mediocre experiment...it's awful!!! Samuel Adams should be embarrassed to have released this stuff and whomever approuved and tested this concoction should be fired!

Well I don't want to seem too negative reviewing this product, because you really can't be too negative reviewing it if you really love drinking beer.

2.33/5  rDev -27.6%

Had in a bottle long before I was "into" craft beer. Had it again on tap once I entered the craft realm. Pours a wheaty, sunburst orange color, considerably hazy and basically perfectly opaque in the mid-section of the brew. Slightly off-white head is sparkly and foamy and recedes relatively quick leaving some mild lacing behind. The aroma is cherry. That's it. That's all. Just cherries. I mean, I could sit here and tell you "it has some wheat in the background", because it does, but you have to search so hard for it beneath the cherry blanket that by that point it isn't worth it anymore. The cherries smell sweet, tart, and actually a little medicinally cloying. Weird combination, right? I can't decide if this aroma is good or bad - but the fact that I must ask myself that question tells me it's probably the latter.

It hits my palate, medium bodied and heavily carbonated. And that's where shit hits the fan. WOW, the cherry presence is not only overwhelming, but it's basically the only thing you can taste. And as mentioned for the aroma, it's not a very "good" cherry perspective. Hints of the profile taste natural and real - some tartness and sweetness that couldn't be mistaken for anything but fresh cherries. However, it's like the brewers decided that it wasn't enough, and they took it a step further and added a butt-load of extra, artificial cherry flavor to push the flavor envelope of the max. Chalky, medicinal, vitamin-like. It's like, tart cherry cough syrup. Or a sweeter version of a cherry flavored Flintstones vitamin. Aftertaste has a slaughtered wheat profile, still majorly enveloped by the cherry onslaught.

Buuuh. Save yourself the trouble with this one. The cherry is just way too overdone and overpowering, nearly to the point of being undrinkable. And it's not the "fruit-lambic" kind of cherry. It's more of a "take your medicine" kind of cherry. Definitely not for me.

2.77/5  rDev -14%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

12oz bottle poured into pint glass

A- Hazy golden with lots of carbonation. Nice two white two finger head with excellent retention and lacing.

S- Tons of cherry sweetness

T- Takes off running from where the nose left off. Cherry sweetness followed by malty sweetness. Did I mention that it’s sweet?

M- Thin and fizzy. Not as crisp and tart like I would have expected it to be.

O- Way to sweet for my taste buds, but I might have found a beer my girlfriend would like! Seems way to sweet for a cherry wheat as if it’s jam packed with cherry artificial flavors rather than the natural tartness I was looking for.

2.63/5  rDev -18.3%

Appearance - Pours a hazy yellowish-amber color with an inch thick, creamy white head. Dissipates after 2 minutes and leaves a really nice lacing.

Smell - Has a very strong cherry aroma that reminds me of licorice. Very malty also

Taste - Overly sweet with a disgusting flavor that reminds me of Robitussin. It's very creamy and malty, with a little bit of wheat shining through at the end.

Mouthfeel - Medium, creamy body with medium carbonation.

Overall - In all honesty, this beer grosses me the hell out.. lol. The only thing I liked was the mouthfeel.

2.92/5  rDev -9.3%

12oz bottle with no date, came with a spring sampler

look is a red amber with a frothy head. smells strongly of bing cherries, with wheat in the background. taste follows with dry dusty wheat, white bread malt, and a slightly artificial cherry flavor. light feel, the cherry isn't cloying at all.

if this sounds good to you, you'll probably like it. it was just ok, im not a fan of the artificial cherry flavor. even though I know its brewed with real cherries, it still comes off tasting like robotussin at times. i wouldn't buy again but wouldn't turn it down.

Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)