Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Cherry WheatSamuel Adams Cherry Wheat

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.30% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-25-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat Alström Bros
2.75/5  rDev -12.1%

atrocity, Apr 25, 2014

Hopheadjeffery, Aug 13, 2013
3.83/5  rDev +22.4%

Poured from a brown 12 oz. bottle. Has a dark golden color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is very strong of cherries. Taste is cherries, some wheat, easy drinking and refreshing. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall is an enjoyable warm weather beer.

tone77, Feb 07, 2010
2.75/5  rDev -12.1%

The beer pours a light, slightly cloudy copper color. The off-white head is very foamy, about 1 1/2 inches and sticks around a while with lots of lace. It smells like sweet cherries, more cherry-coke like than anything else. I couldn't really smell anything else other than the cherries. It tastes like cherry too, but it's not a strong flavor. There's a grainy/wheat taste in there too, but like the cherry taste, it's not strong at all. Not much of an aftertaste either. The beer smells better than it tastes. The mouthfeel is pretty thin, and it is easy to drink. Overall I'm not impressed. I usually like Samuel Adams beers, but this offering is very average. I'd drink it again if someone gave it to me for free, but I don't think I'd buy this beer again. There's many more beers I would rather spend my money on.

bluejacket74, Jun 09, 2006
3.4/5  rDev +8.6%

A - Pours a light amber color, sort of tan but no head to speak of.

S - Wow it smells like cherry cough syrup! As it sits in the glass more wheat comes through but really mostly a very artificial cherry smell.

T - Ehh it's ok. Very mild, if any, cherry taste. Seems muted even in the glass! Mostly a semi nice wheat and fruity taste lifts this to higher than I expected. Enjoyable.

M - Very light and smooth.

D - Na I will not seek it out but if it was ever in a variety case I would not pass it up. Still it was OK at best.

DrDemento456, Nov 12, 2010
2.78/5  rDev -11.2%

Auburn color with a thin light beige head. Very strong cherry aroma. There was just too much cherry in the flavor making it almost sickeningly sweet. It doesn't even taste like cherries, more like the cherry flavoring they use to make popsicles or something. I honestly didn't bother finishing the bottle. This wasn't horrible, but they really need to tone down the cherry or balance it better with more malt.

Dogbrick, Nov 13, 2002
3.5/5  rDev +11.8%

vfgccp, May 13, 2012
3.55/5  rDev +13.4%

Pours a very hazy dark golden color with a slight cherry reddish tint. Foam is of modest size (especially for a wheat) and fairly creamy.

Nose is heavily laden with sweet maraschino cherries and hints of wheat tang and earthy caramel malt.

Tastes mostly like a crisp American wheat beer with a healthy dose of sweet and sour cherry flavor. It is a bit thin, and maybe even leaning towards watery, but I am enjoying this beer more than I thought I would. Not sure if a six-pack purchase is in my near future, but I'll happily drink these as part of the fall sampler pack.

twiggamortis420, Sep 30, 2009
1.95/5  rDev -37.7%

Pours a hazy yellow to orange-ish color with a light tan head. In the aroma, dark cherry, almost like a cough drop. In the taste, dry cherry and wheat notes. A fruity bite and medium to light mouthfeel, with a dry cherry fruitiness in the aftertaste. I think it is like a couple Ludens cough drops dropped in a mediocre wheat beer.

OWSLEY069, Oct 23, 2010
3.63/5  rDev +16%

Color is a hazy deep golden yellow with a thin off-white head that fades somewhat fast, lace is spotty. Aroma reminds me of watered down cherry flavored cough syrup, or maybe kool-aid, theres some wheat malts giving an overall sweetness in with the flat cherryness that seems artificial to me. A powerful nose as it warms but seems almost to much and a bit artificial. Taste is sweet malts of wheat, pale and soft, with a kick of cherry tart flavor thats a bit to sweet and again comes across somewhat artificial and syrupy. A little hard to get past the cherryness with a bubbly carbonation and lighter feel that nearly makes it champagne-like. As it warms it becomes alot easier to handle and makes for a nice drinker but I don't think I'd have alot of this before the flavor starts to get old.

tavernjef, Oct 29, 2003

This is one of my favorite beers. Aroma is strong; cherry scent is dominant. Color is deep golden honey-amber. Flavor is malty and pleasant, with a strong cherry overtone and wheaty components. Finish is smooth and pleasant. I am fond of cherries, which is one reason I like this particular beer.

Cyberkedi, Jun 16, 2007
2.25/5  rDev -28.1%

claspada, May 13, 2012

WOLFGANG, Jul 04, 2013
3.68/5  rDev +17.6%

A: Cloudy golden color. Poured a billowing off-white head that persisted. Some lacing. Decanted continuously.

S: Distinct cherry aroma. Also mild hop aroma. Nicely balanced.

T: Cherry up front followed by mild bitterness. Malty finich. Again, a nice balance.

M: Medium light body. Lightly bitter brought into balance with the sweet cherry. Carbonated

D: More drinkable than many flavored beers.

Haybeerman, Aug 26, 2008
2.05/5  rDev -34.5%

A-Light orange...unimpressive head for a wheat

S-Artificial cherries....cherry cough syrup....completely uninviting...why they can't achieve a more natural cherry aroma is befuddling to me.

T-Am I sucking on a cherry cough drop or did I just drink this beer...nasty cherry cough syrup flavor...Not much else..some tartness on the finish..

M-Light side of medium...about what I'd expect for the style..

D-Not for me....If I want a cherry cough drop I'll suck on one....I think Sammy does a nice job with their beers for the most part but this one needs to be reworked or eliminated...

ZAP, Jul 18, 2007
3.13/5  rDev 0%

12oz Bottle

Appearance – Hazy amber colour with a large size fizzy off-white coloured head. There is an average amount of carbonation showing and there is a good amount of lacing. The head lasted for around 5 minutes before it disappeared.

Smell - Cherries, floral notes, wheat, malts

Taste & Mouth - The beer has an average amount of carbonation. I can taste wheat mixed with a very sweet cherry flavour. There are also some floral notes mixed with some light malts. It finishes with a tart and sweet cherry aftertaste.

Overall – I actually kind of enjoyed my first few sips, but the taste started to become too sweet and artificial after a while. It's not undrinkable, it's just not something that I would go out of my way to have again.

spinrsx, Aug 05, 2011

Boone757, Aug 13, 2013
3.58/5  rDev +14.4%

Golden with light amber notes, a low white head, good carbonation, and decent lace rings. Nice almost real cherry aroma but a bit like cherry cough syrup. Decent spicy cherry fruit flavors but a bit more medicinal than I remember the draft version being. Medium bodied and smooth.

Per Label: "Wheat Ale Brewed with Real Cherries and Cherry Flavor" & "Michigan Cherries and Wheat Malt"

Per BB website: 13.15 P / 1.0128 SG. 5.4% ABV.
Malts: 2-Row Pale, Malted Wheat, Munich.
Hops: Tettnang Tettnanger.
Michigan cherries as well as a touch of honey.

Enjoy Before: Sep '06 (notched)
Tasted: 09/07/06

RBorsato, Sep 25, 2006

barnzy78, Nov 29, 2011
1.85/5  rDev -40.9%

A: Pours a hazy golden color. A decent sized white head forms, but leaves no lace.
S: This smells of cocktail cherry syrup. Kind of like syrup bars keep their cherries in. Just awful IMO.
T: Very sweet and syrupy. Cherries and a touch of wheat. Pretty much cloying.
M/D: A light body that is fairly creamy. The cloying sweetness and cherries makes this hard for me to swallow.

I am sorry, this is pretty bad. Avoid at all costs.

champ103, Sep 17, 2008
4.18/5  rDev +33.5%

This is one of my staple summer beers since I first got the nerve to drink any beer with fruit flavoring quite a few years ago. This and #9 are my never fail fruit beers. I know these in no way compare to some of the hard core european fruit offerings, and well they shouldn't. This is closer to the mow the lawn beer and they go down so easy. The color is almost straw with a hint of copper tone. The head is fair and lively, not much lacing. The aroma is a beautiful cherry blended with a bit of cereal/wheat as one might expect. It smells crisp and it tastes much the same. A light and refreshing wash of pilsner-like flavor laced with a decided cherry sweetness. Somewhat dry but also a bit watery for a quenching libation that finishes with a tasteful tartness. Nothing very complex and easy to drink many. This is my light beer, vaguely soda-esque, but it retains it's beer integrity in my book. May be too soda like for some beer fans but it works for me.

Durge, Jul 10, 2007

Lare453, Nov 12, 2012
2.38/5  rDev -24%

Pours a cloudy orange color with a quickly fading head. The cloudiness is from the yeast activated from the bottom of the bottom because of a quick swirl. The smell really does smell like the filling from a cherry pie. Taste is dry and crisp with slight notes of cherry and wheat. I did somewhat enjoy the smell of this brew but the taste was not to my liking. I did not particularly enjoy the flavor of this beer and it was hard to finish the whole thing actually. There was just something about that cherry flavor that did not sit well with me. Glad I picked up a single and not a sixer.

cjgator3, Jun 14, 2006
2.7/5  rDev -13.7%

Sampled on Feb. 16, 2009 on tap at a Ruby Tuesday restaurant. It pours a bubbly pale-yellow with a small amount of off-white head. The carbonation is constant. Any evidence of malts or hops are immediately drowned out by the ovepowering cherry and fruity scents. It's just way too much for me. The mouthfeel is of medium texture. The flavor is like cherry Kool-Aid but more sour or tart. I think I caught a tiny bit of hops but it is really indistinguishable from that cherry taste. Subtlety would have been the better route for this brew. Not all that great.

puboflyons, Feb 16, 2009
2.08/5  rDev -33.5%

Pours ruddy orange with a thin off-white head. Aroma is big on cherries, but rather than the normal cherry beer debate of whether it is an artificial or natural cherry character, the only question here is which cough syrup it most recalls. My choice is DayQuil. The beer has that almost stinging quality to it, making it plainly difficult to drink. Avoid.

illidurit, Nov 02, 2009
Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)