Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Cherry WheatSamuel Adams Cherry Wheat

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.30% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-25-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,133 | Hads: 3,668
2.83/5  rDev -12.1%

A decent 1.5 inch head that was retained nicely, had a characteristic "tangy" smell of sour cherries and malt. This beer tasted rather artificial to me... this part was hard to describe. However, it was definitely comfortable with just enough substance. Drinks like a soda, very good drinkability.

All in all, not my favorite Sam Adams, but still an okay beer. I'm not a huge fan of fruit flavored beers (unless they're lambics) so this may be slightly biased.

Do give it a try.

3.47/5  rDev +7.8%

If you are into fruit beers, this is certainly one to try.
It pours a pretty standard gold-amber profile with a nice off-white head that retains itself nicely. The nose is hit with a big cherry danish smell. I like this alot...but I am not sure how appropriate this is for a beer. Seemed more like breakfast or dessert. Regardless, it was quite a unique aroma.
The taste is of an american wheat...not a hefe...mixed with a slight cherry flavor. I was glad that the fruit aspect did not overwhelm the beverage.
Still, not a great brew, but a interesting change of pace.
As far as complexities go, the subtle cherry (tart)sweetness is the only thing here, otherwise it seems rather nondescipt.
Again, a nice change-up, but I doubt I'd purchase this again. If I am looking for a light-hearted, drinkable brew, I'll stick with some sort of hefeweizen

3.97/5  rDev +23.3%

This is a very nice fruit wheat beer. The most dominant characteristic is the cherry aroma. It's inescapable. Nice wheat-beer haze in a deep golden color. The beer has a decent sized white head, and a pleasing balance. Not as sweet as I anticipated.

3.75/5  rDev +16.5%

Purchase Before Date is notched December 2005

Upon pouring, the head of large white bubbles quickly recedes. The color is a very clear medium amber. Some slight lacing is left behind on the walls of the glass.

The first smell I notice is that of cherry pie filling. Slightly artificial, I guess from the cherry flavoring, but not too hokey. The cherry is not too powerful and allows the malt to show itself. Behind the cherry and malt, some clean and spicy hops can be found. There is a slight hint of orange peel type citrus.

The beer is pretty highly carbonated, and the mouthfeel medium thin.

The cherry flavor is not overdone, nor does it seem as artificial as on the nose. There is a decent amount of malt to back up the cherry flavors. Hops are present throughout the sip, but become most noticeable after the swallowing when some of the cherry and malt notes subside. Finish is a slight hop bitterness with some tart cherry notes.

3.23/5  rDev +0.3%

A - Pours a nice copper brown with a reddish hue and the slightest haze. Thumb of head, solid retention and impressive lacing.

S - Cherry bomb. A little on the synthetic side, and almost dessert like. Cherry coke comes to mind, with sugary and sweet caramel malts coming through on the finish.

T - Much like the scent, the synthetic cherry dominates the flavour, with bready biscuit malts coming through on the finish. Cherry licorice with a bit of a bitter finish.

M - Light and bubbly but finishes with a bit of a bite. Slightly dry, but not a total turn-off.

D - This one is by far the best cherry flavoured beer I've tried, but the cherry is a little on the synthetic side. With a bit more maltiness, I think you could get over the synthetic feel this one has to it, but it's a little too strong to overlook. Worth a try, for sure, but not to my liking.

3.4/5  rDev +5.6%

I was served this beer on tap at the Blue Tusk in Syracuse, NY

It was served in a classic Weizen Glass that bore the brand name.

It was golden in color with minimal head and very visible carbonation.
More clear than I had expected it to be.

Aroma all cherry.

I was really surprised by the creamy mouth feel.
Nice Flavor without the cherry sweetness being over done.
Cherry burst followed by bready dry finish.

Nice bread/biscuit finish lingers.

I really enjoyed the flavor that stuck with you between sips.

A decent amount of lacing was left behind.

A good session beer for the summer.

Give it a try

3.16/5  rDev -1.9%

A - Pours a golden honey yellow with a nice head.
S - Smells like cherry syrup; a tad bit of malt detected as well
T - There are some malts up front, which are followed by a cherry syrup flavor; also a bit of wheat was detected
MF - smooth mouthfeel
D - This was ok...a lot of cherry-syrup in the flavor, which dominated everything. This is ok to drink, neither one I would pass down, nor one I would seek out.

2.93/5  rDev -9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3

Poured into a weizen glass.

3.25 A: Lightly hazed medium orange color. One and a half fingers of frothy white head. Retention is a bit below average and a short ring of lacing is left.

2.75 S: Smells of grenadine. That's about it. Lots and lots of grenadine. It has a pretty intense nose, but it doesn't smell a lot like beer.

2.75 T: Tastes like it smells, like they took a perfectly fine wheat beer and went nuts with the grenadine behind the bar. Hints of peppery spiciness as well.

3.75 M: Lighter medium body. Good moderate carbonation. Light creaminess. Good here.

3.0 D: I purchased a bunch of SA beers just for the sake of reviewing them here. I wasn't expecting much, but I always wasn't expecting that BBC turned into an adult fruit drink company.

3.08/5  rDev -4.3%

Poured a standard to dark yellow, with a bubbly, medium-sized white head. Lots of bubbles rising up. Smell is dominated by cherry scent--cherry syrup more than fresh cherries (a la New Glarus). Taste starts with the cherry syrup. Not overly sweet (thank God!). Finish is slightly dry and bitter, with hints of cherry lingering. Pretty well balanced. Mouthfeel is nothing special. The cherry syrup flavor would/will prevent me from drinking this often.

3.48/5  rDev +8.1%

Reviewed on 5/17/08. Bottle. Poured a clear light orange with a small white head that left pretty lacing on the glass. Aroma of candied cherries. Flavor of the same cherries - reminded me of a cherry SnoCone, with a wheat finish. The wheat malt was a little weak, but otherwise, very tasty! I liked the sweet cherry taste and it didn't get too sweet or artificial for me.
7/4/7/3/14 (3.5/5)

2.87/5  rDev -10.9%

I got a bottle of Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat in their summer variety pack for $12.99 at Krogers, I have had this beer many times over the years, mainly when I first started to get into craft beer, I am not a big fan of this beer but since it came in their summer pack I might as well review them like the other beers in the pack, so lets see what I think about this beer now. Best by October. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

A- The label is pretty plain and run of the mill, it should have some cherry's or something on it. It poured a nice looking golden orange color that was a little hazy and it looked the same when held to the light, it also had two and a half fingers worth of white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and left some patchy lacing. This is a good looking beer, no complaints here.

S- Wow this beer is really aromatic, I don't have to have my nose close to the glass to smell this beer, it starts off with loads of sweet cherry that have a pretty artificial aroma, it smells similar to the red syrup that is put on snow cones, with some medicinal cough syrup towards the end. After that comes some sweet wheat malts that impart a sweet and bready aroma with a real slight lemon aroma towards the end, no hops to be found. The aroma isn't that good there's just way too much artificial cherry aromas, I think it would be hard to tell the difference between this and cheap fruit juice just by the aroma.

T- The taste isn't that similar to the aroma, it's much more beer like, it starts off with a little bit of cherry flavors which isn't as artificial as it was in the aroma and is quickly followed by a good amount of wheat malts that have a higher amount of sweetness to them and impart some grainy, wheaty, and bready flavors followed by some slight doughy yeast flavors. Next comes more cherrys which are a little more artificial tasting and have some of those medicinal cough syrup flavors to them that carry on to the aftertaste with a light wheat flavor and it had a pretty light amount of bitterness. The flavor is just ok the wheat base shows up a little more but the cherrys still aren't that pleasing and they wear on me, average at best.

M- Slightly smooth, somewhat dry finish, pretty creamy, medium bodied with a higher amount of medium carbonation that was a little fizzy and slightly prickly. The mouthfeel wasn't bad, but the carbonation needed to be toned down a little.

Overall I don't like this beer and I thought that is was an average example of a Cherry Wheat beer, I can see why some people like it but to me not enough good beer qualitys shine through. This beer doesn't have good drinkability, not that smooth with the high sweetness and medicinal flavors, one is more then enough for me, there's no way I would want another. What I liked most about this beer was the appearance, if looked pretty nice and had some good head retention along with a nice color. What I liked the least about this beer was the high amount of sweetness and the artificial cherrys in the flavor and aroma, to me they hurt this beer and were not enjoyable. I wouldn't buy this beer on it's own and I hate when they throw this in their variety packs, when they do it's always my least favorite of the pack, I don't recommend this beer, there's much better fruit beers out there. I wasn't impressed with this beer and never have been, but for some reason this beer appeals to a lot of people so there's no chance of it changing anytime soon. If I am in the mood for a fruit beer, I would much rather have a Short's Soft Parade, I think it's a far superior beer. This beer just isn't for me, hope the next one I try from you guys is much better.

3.11/5  rDev -3.4%

A-Translucent deep yellow, carbonated, one finger head with some lacing.

S-Smells like a cherry fruit snakes.

T-Like a cherry soda with alcohol. More like a Mike's Hard Cherry if a thing ever existed. The cherries are not artificial at all though and they mesh well. But still tastes like something that isn't beer.

M-Medium bodied with lots of carbonation.

O-If I had this blind I might doubt that it was beer, not a good beer, because it is more like a fizzy alcoholic beverage that the ladies like to down.

2.98/5  rDev -7.5%

Poured from 12oz brown bottle into a clear pint glass. Best by date notched on front label. Purchased as part of SA Harvest Collection 12-pack for $15.99 at Harris Teeter (Charlottesville, VA).

A: Dusky amber with golden edges and slightly fizzy off-white 1-finger head with average retention and thick cap of lace at the top but not much else down the glass.

S: Smells like cherry cough drops with heavy medicinal edge and light wheat tanginess but not much else

T: Also taste like a Ludens cherry cough drop with barely detectable grain, light wheat note, and mostly syrupy, medicinal cherry extract flavors with a little sour tartness in the finish. Not too great.

M: Thin with light body and light tart, drying finish and cough drop aftertaste.

D: Better than Cranberry Lambic, but that's not saying much. Should be retired from the SA lineup -- tastes like cherry cough drop soda.

3.23/5  rDev +0.3%

Dark golden/amber ale, small dissapearing off white head. Strong cherry cough medicine aroma, not bad at this time of year! After a while the harsh medicinal tone goes and it has a scent of glazed cherries. Pretty straighforward taste, cherry dominates, but not as sweet as the nose might lead one to believe. Actually gets a wee bit bitter on the end, like cherry pits. Mouthfeel is thin, and its only the pleasing carbonation that stops it being downright watery. What can I say, a pleasant enough drink, better in hotter weather.

2.7/5  rDev -16.1%

Appearance: It's a clear, golden color with a foamy one finger head. Retention was average and lacing was light.

Smell: It certainly has a strong cherry aroma. Perhaps a light touch of berry scents. Smells a little earthy. Very light malt and hop smells.

Taste: Very strong cherry flavor. It's a bit grainy and earthy. Very faint hops taste is noticeable. Slight bit of malty sweetness underneath.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability: Light bodied and very well carbonated. I personally don't like the taste very much, so I find it's drinkability extremely limited. Overall, it's a very average beer. One of the weakest Sam Adams offerings in my opinion.

4.23/5  rDev +31.4%

I first reviewed this beer back in May when it was 1st available, but I saved 2 - 12 oz bottles as they neared the 'brewery fresh taste' date of Sept. '07 and I decided to re-review it.

A - clear deep golden color with a big fluffy white head, that settled down a bit, but lasted, there was a constant flow of tiny bubbles in the glass and it left a good amount of lacing.

S - smell of cherry, as it was before, is still there, but not as over-powering.

T - strong cherry taste has toned down and now the malted wheat taste comes through, with a nice crisp finish.

M - clean. crisp, light and refreshing.

D - good drinkability, different and refreshing.

I'm glad I sat on a few of these and IMO this is a beer that should be enjoyed about a month or so before the recommended 'drink by' date.
I'm going to get a few more before the end of Summer.

3.5/5  rDev +8.7%

Had this on tap at the Newark airport, waiting for my flight back to Toronto. I knew this didn't have the best ratings, but the other selections were a couple other Sam Adams, plus typical macro lagers. Pours a pinkish-orange colour with thin white head. Smells of very sweet artificial cherry, similar to cherry candy. Some faint wheat aroma is there too. Quite a sweet flavour. Medium body carbonation. Easy to drink beer, just too sweet to have more than one in a row.

3.28/5  rDev +1.9%

Pours a slightly hazed honey gold, with a decent offwhite head. Head diminishes to collar and film foam within a minute of the pour, but leaves some impressive sheet and patch lace down the side of the glass.
Aroma is cherry soda. Like a "Cheerwine", a southern cherry soda that I loved in my youth. Faint wheat notes of malt are in the background.
Mouthfeel is average, with sparkly carbonation.
Taste is cherry soda, with a doughy caramel malt background. No hops are in evidence.
After a couple of these, the cherry sweetness becomes cloying and artificial. Still, this is a drinkable and somewhat light beer, if you like cherry soda with a mild kick.

2.39/5  rDev -25.8%

Whoa, the cherry is too over-bearing in this one. Pour was disappointing – way too clear for a wheat beer. Although it had a nice cherry and malt aroma, the taste went from strong cherry in the beginning to tasting like Robitussin cough syrup by the end of the bottle. Even the wife-zilla, while working on her bottle, said she couldn’t stomach another.

2.68/5  rDev -16.8%

Clear robust gold color with a soft, sticky, milky looking head. Aroma is sweet cherry juice holding back any malts trying to sneak through and a hint of butterscotch in the way back. Upon the first sip, there is a striking lack of anything. The aroma has me anticipating a syrupy mess and what I get is...blandness. I suppose its better than a sloppy, cough-syrupy, artificial fruit beer. At least I can drink this. The palest of light malts, a faint sweetness, and watered down cherries. Its crisp and refreshing, not a bad body for a summery beer, but its almost as if the mouthfeel is more in focus than the flavor. Good if you're doing things out in the sun and using beer purely for refreshment. At least its not as unpleasant as I remember it being.

3.25/5  rDev +0.9%

Poured a deep amber color with moderate puffy head.
Smell is definitely significant for cherry, as would be expected.
Taste also is dominated by cherries, but the taste seems too artificial.
Leaves a long lingering cherry taste, almost too long to be enjoyable.
Not my favorite style of beer. Would have been better on a hot summer afternoon.

3.7/5  rDev +14.9%

Fairly potent aroma of cherries, yet not really overpowering. Decent enough amber color, and a bit cloudy. The taste has a good wheat backbone, with the cherries more than fairly evident. A little more cherry, and it would be too much. Very good, but I can't drink too many of them.

4.12/5  rDev +28%

Pours a hazy, lazy yellow with a small bubbly head, no retention and minimal lacing, barely even a crown on the glass.

Nose is sweet, bright cherries. The label says this is brewed with cherries and cherry flavor added, so some of the nose may be artificial.

Taste is smooth and easy, pleasant cherry taste and not anywhere near as sweet as it smells. Decent malt balance, a touch of yeast, and slightly more than average carbonation make this a genuine entry for a fruit flavored beer instead of just dumping in some fruit juice at the end and calling it so. A good beer to have with dessert and a fine session brew for the fall or spring.

3.66/5  rDev +13.7%

Another beer that has been around while and I never got to.
Really nice aroma. Reminded me of a cherry tart with a nice toasty wheat character wrapped around the sweet fruit. Quite nice.
Smallish head. I imagined this to have more red to the color, but not so much. Slightly cloudy and amber colors away from reds.
I didn't enjoy the taste as much as the aroma. The fruit and toasted wheat didn't seem to blend as well here, seeming more distinct and separate. I really liked the toasted grain flavor. The cherry was more sweet than tart although not overly so. Mild drying.
Rather full from the carbonation which took away for me.
Nice fall beer though. I can see this with festiveness of T-giving.
Thanks Bry for the bottle.

3.55/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

smell- very strong cherry (almost like a cough medicine) and a very good wheat and spice smell.

Taste- the cherry and the wheat have a good balance and are the strongest tastes. Hops and other spices in the background. This is a great example of a cherry wheat beer.

Mouthfeel- medium amount of carbonation with a nice body. Sam Adam's always knows what they are doing here.

Drinkability- above average drinkability. The beer tastes and smells good but its one to be drank in small doses.

Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)