Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Cherry WheatSamuel Adams Cherry Wheat

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.30% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-25-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,130 | Hads: 3,648
4.62/5  rDev +42.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass
The appearance is a yellow orange with a decent foam head.
Smell is a very pleasant cherry aroma, not too strong or too light.
The taste is a refreshing combo of Wheat and cherry. I'm not a big fan of fruity beers, but, this one is by far the best I have tried.
Mouthfeel is very smooth, just the right amount of carbonation.
Very drinkable beer, perfect for that hot July day after doing some yard work or just relaxing in the summer sun. I recommend giving this one a try (518 characters)

2.95/5  rDev -9%

12oz brown bottle with pry-off top. Freshness date on lable.

Pours a light amber color that is somewhat transparent. Brings out a white head that disipates with minimal lacing with poor retention. Nothing speical.

Smells of cherries, artificial cherry smell, i guess like cherry candy. The cherry aroma dominates the smell.

Taste of cherry flavoring at first along with a weak malt bite. Somehwat crisp. Minimal hopping with very, very slight bitterness that doesn't last very long. Not too balanced here, but hell, it's a fruit beer catered towards a certain target audience who probably wouldn't notice anyway.

Fairly drinkable if you can stand the flavoring.

Notes: It's a fruit beer, so some people are going to like this beer, and some people aren't. I'd say it would be a decent beer to try once, or maybe a good desert beer, or something to go along with a salad. Still for what it's trying to pull off, it does fairly well. It's a bland wheat ale that's flavored with cherries, readily available. (1,011 characters)

3.28/5  rDev +1.2%

Served a little bit over 50 degrees F into pint glass listening to ANIMAL COLLECTIVE (yes, "Merriweather Post Pavilion" leaked).
It sat in my glass as a pale yellow, approaching light gold towards the top. This beer sat very transparent as well. I was always under the impression that most "wheat" beers were typically cloudy (?). The pour created a 1 cm head that turned into a very thin layer after a couple minutes, and eventually just remained a thin ring as it fell towards the bottom of my glass during the drink. Minimal carbonation, and lacing that looked like it wanted to do something, but would just not stay put.
I did not even need to smell this at first. When I popped and poured it, a strong and very sweet cherry smell pierced the air of the room. Upon proper evaluation, I thought there may be a wood smell buried under all that cherry (perhaps the wheat?). Very cherry though, almost kool-aide
It was hard to notice any malt or barley, at least with first contact on the tongue, but I understand that it is typical in fruit-styled beers for these to take the back-seat... and hey, that cherry isn't as obnoxious as I thought it could be. In contrast to the smell, the taste was more of a mellower "wild cherry" that grew in momentum, and peaked at the finish. It not only subtly hangs around for quite a bit, but transforms into the wheat flavor somewhere along the way. I must applaud them for this complexity. The wheat flavors, even considering how subtle they are, are not the best I have tasted.
However, the finish happens to be slightly dry, and numbing. Yet at the very same time, it still almost has that same effect of overly-sticky beers (or CANDY), where you want to hawk a huge "lugee" afterward, and have to put another in your mouth just to get rid of that aspect. It's medium bodied, maybe slightly thin, but I love the carbonation level, and it does happen to be quite smooth.
In fact, if I had a 6-pack of this, I would not mind having a couple more, but I think the fact that it unpleasantly goes away like candy would really get in the way after a bit.

This really is not even a style of beer in general that I would normally purchase myself. But for what it is, it's not bad. I think I would only recommend it to novices who tend towards sweeter beers, though. (2,302 characters)

I have tried this beer twice and that is enough for me. It has a weird somewhat cherry after taste that on the first sip is ok but by the end of the bottle was enough. I have had worse beers but for Sam Adams I would have to rate this one the lowest. It is easy to drink and it has a good smell to it so I'll give it that much. (327 characters)

3.26/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

A decent tasting wheat. Very refreshing. You can definitely taste the cherry but it over powers the wheat flavor just a hair to much for me. Little to no head. Has a very good smell, you can really smell the cherry. A solid wheat beer but not my favorite of the style either. Would be great on a warm day. (305 characters)

4.09/5  rDev +26.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

12oz bottle into a Weizen

L: light Amber with a small white head, small lacing on sides

S: CHERRIES , yum, and vanilla

T: cherry and grass, small hop bite with a slight sour aftertaste

F: small sting from the carbonation but a very smooth finish

O: this is a nice end of the day beer that I could easily keep in the fridge for that "I want a beer" moments (360 characters)

2.97/5  rDev -8.3%

A - Pours a nice golden wheat color, short head theat rapidly fades.

S - It has a nice cherry smell on top of the wheat. Smells both sweet and rich in the cherry flavor.

T - Not very good. A low quality wheat beer covered by a hint of candy cherry flavoring. Neither one is enough to cover the other, sl they sit in an unhappy marriage on the tongue.

M - Macrolager feel. Heavy on the carbonation, light on the texture.

D - Wouldn't want more than one. (456 characters)

3.2/5  rDev -1.2%

Appearance - Appetizing gold/deep-peachy colour.

Smell - I loved the smell of this one, reminded me of fresh pie cherries which are a little tart. Also had a bit of that nutty, wheat smell, but subtle compared to the stronger smell of cherries present.

Taste - Wasn't nearly as complex as I was expecting; however, it is indeed a cherry wheat beer and it tastes as one would expect. Cherry intro, some people call it artificial tasting, but it didn't seem like that to me, and a smaller nutty aftertaste. So really, tastes how it smells!

Mouthfeel - Smooth, not very bitter, light on the tongue.

Drinkability - It doesn't really wear on you, so I'd imagine it would be a good beer for casual drinking. I liked it and I could drink it again, but I also wasn't wowed by it. (775 characters)

3.28/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 5

Poured into snifter. Color was that of lemonade and ocean water (weird but what I saw).

Aroma was a little overwhelming of turnips and chocolate.

Taste was very good. The chocolate was more suddle than expected. No taste of turnips. It had a slight merlot flavour (must be from the cherrys).

Overall it is amazing. 5 out of 5. (334 characters)

3.92/5  rDev +21%

Drank this beer on a regular basis years ago. The wife and I had a sampler at the Yard House that included this beer. I was reminded of years gone by.

This beer is a light cloudy amber color, not much head. Smells wonderful. Now I'm not great at describing flovors but it tastes great. Cold, bubbly and sweet....with a toasty wheat finish, really nice. If Sam Adams fruits the beer...I'm fine with it. (402 characters)

2.94/5  rDev -9.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

This beer smells delicious. Very strong scent of cherries and very strong taste of cherries. Quite refreshing but a little overpowering at times. The only thing that is not satisfactory is that the beer stains the lines at bars and whatever is put on after the Cherry Wheat ends up having a faint(old) taste of cherries. The cherry taste is delightful but a bit too boastful. (375 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +33.6%

This beer has an emmaculent apperance. Clear and inviting. It has a very pleasing aroma as well. It has an excellent taste of cherry that is accompanied by a nice hint of malt that plays against the cherry very well. I typically find wheat beers to be a bit too spicy for my taste, but this wheat beer is excellent. (315 characters)

3.03/5  rDev -6.5%

I must say, this is a totally different brew in a glass. I reviewed this when I drank it out of the bottle. It tasted like cherry soda when I drank it out of the bottle. Now I believe I was "tasting" the aroma. It certainly smells like cherry soda, but tastes nothing like it. It pours a light copper color with a large head that quickly dissipates to a thin head-film. The smell is amazing, almondy-cherry. Tastes like almonds, hint of cherry and water. The mouthfeel is very fizzy leaving an almond aftertaste. It is light and drinkable. But then again, I really cant rate on drinkability. (I drank 1 bottle of Chimay Blue, Delerium Tremens and a bottle of Fort in 1 night!) (676 characters)

3.27/5  rDev +0.9%

A beer worth trying but perhaps not worth revisiting. I poured one from a 12 oz. bottle, and found it to be drinkable, inoffensive, but lacking in any strong positive qualities. The cherry taste is well-defined, but it blends with the beer in such a way that I can't escape thinking this is how a flat diet cherry cola would taste. Actually the body is much crisper than flat soda, and that helps make this an ok beer. (418 characters)

4.79/5  rDev +47.8%

A - Good lookin frothy pour

S - Wheat field with a ripe cherry tree blowing in your face

T - super smooth easy on your palate a little sweet

M - wheat beer. you all understand if you are on this site

D - good for a few. have something different an then go back for a few more. (280 characters)

2.9/5  rDev -10.5%

Not a fan of cherry but I figured I would try it. It's light but the cherry ruins it for me. Drinkable one bottle at a time but I couldn't have more than one. (158 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +49.7%

This is a very good beer for something different now and then.
I get this in a growler when available and also in bottles. I prefer the growlers freshness.
Wheat aroma with cherry flavoring, I like the biteness in this beer.
Crisp and refreshing out of the fridge with a medium light body.
Good inch foam head but doesnt last long enough.
I get this on tap at a local eatery and they serve it up with a cherry in the glass tasty. (430 characters)

A- A light amber pour with a marginal one finger of off white head.

S- The nose is one of domestic wheat and slightly cherry-like.

T- Medium sweetness from the cherries along with a small amount of tangy wheat.

M- Average body and carbonation

D- Lawnmower says it all for this one. (285 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +27.2%

Another beer leftover from my canoe trip. Those poor guys didn't get a chance to try some craft brew. Second out of my cooler is Sam Adams Cherry Wheat. I was looking forward to this one.

Appearance is good. A nice head that lingers for a while.

Smell is one of the best I've sampled. A strong cherry aroma.

Taste is good. The cherry flavor is out front and almost overpowers the other ingredients. Gives a slight cherry aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is good. Feels like a good beer.

This is my first fruit beer I've ever tasted. I could enjoy a few of these.This beer is good, but I still have this sense that there may be a few too many cherries in the brew. (668 characters)

1.41/5  rDev -56.5%

I drank this, against my will, out of a 12 ounce bottle. This stuff is haggard. If i wanted to drink robitussin, i would go to the pharmacy and drink that. Samuel Adams beers are usually pretty decent, with some being outright tasty but this is terrible.

I'd rather drink King Cobra, good lord. (295 characters)

3.64/5  rDev +12.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

At first when I opened it I took a big whiff and really thought someone gave me cherry coke instead of beer. I took a sip and still thought I was drinking cherry coke. The Cherryness died off some the more I drank. The mouthfeel was alright. I dont believe I would ever choose to drink this again unless it was all I had left. (326 characters)

3.81/5  rDev +17.6%

Average apperance. A nice dark gold color. Decent head that sticks around for a while
The smell is amazing. A strong cherry scent with hints of fruit and hops.
Taste is incredible. A very strong cherry flavor with some earthy tones and a hint of hops.
Warning! If you do not like cherrys avoid this beer like the plague.
Also if you order at Applebees make sure you tell them to leave the cherry out of it. I don't need fruit in my beer (438 characters)

4.17/5  rDev +28.7%

Probably my second, or first, favorite Sam. Appearances aside, the smell and taste are out of this world. I can't sense a bit of bitterness to this ale. I am not a fan of cherries per say, but this is a flavor explosion to say the least. Reminds me a lot of a non-craft type beer with the pale appearance and drinkability/mouthfeel. can't quite place what the scent is, but I like it. Could drink six-bangers till I black out.

Highly recommended. No, really recommended. (471 characters)

3.02/5  rDev -6.8%

A: I poured the bottle into a glass. The beer poured a nice Hazy Gold color, with about a finger and a half worth of head.

S: I'm getting Cherries and lots of em, no hops really, but lots o' Cherry, and its not a bad thing really.

T: Slight malt, and grain flavor with a good dose of Cherry that starts out sweet when the sip starts and ends tart. No hop flavor, but cherry tartness does a nice job of bittering the end of this brew. (It's worth noting that as the beer sits and warms up the cherry flavor becomes more tart and the malt and wheat flavors come out a little more. Making a nicer more balanced beer)

M: Not good, not terrible, but far from what I'd expect, even considering it's a wheat beer this just seems thin.

O: Not impressed, maybe I let this bottle sit too long, or maybe I didn't get the best batch, either way, either way this is a brew I didn't really enjoy. The flavors are nice and pronounced, and the cherries do an adequate job as a hop substitute, but It was one I didn't really enjoy, the flavors were rather balanced and I did enjoy the aroma, but all in all this was a pretty average beer at best. (1,133 characters)

3.58/5  rDev +10.5%

12 oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

A - Deep yellow color that is almost translucent. One-and-a-half finger head that dissipates slowly with lacing.

S - Smells strongly of cherries. It's a big smell up front. Followed up by a yeasty smell.

T - Very little in the way of hops. Mostly a cherry flavor, but NOT like cough syrup. I'm surprised by how well the cherry flavor melds into the bready flavor of the beer.

M - Smooth. Moderate carbonation that rounds out the beer well.

O - A good beer, though it's hard for me to call it that. It seems like a cherry-flavored mixed drink with bread. It's something I'll remember to pick up in the future. (652 characters)

Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)