Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Cherry WheatSamuel Adams Cherry Wheat

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.30% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-25-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,133 | Hads: 3,670
2.32/5  rDev -28%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2

A vigorous pour into an oversized mug produced a head taller than the beer. Beer was light golden amber in color.

Smelled of artificial cherry flavor, like cough syrup. Deep underneath, when I concentrated hard, I could smell the wheat, malt, and slightly floral hops. Tough to get through that cough syrup aroma, though.

The taste was of real cherries, in contrast to the smell. Also a good thick, sweet malt flavor and a grainy wheat taste. The cherries come back at the end, along with the bitter hops.

The beer had a good full-bodied mouthfeel.

I am not a fan of cherries, but I had heard good things about his beer, so I gave it a try. First off, the artificial cherry smell has got to go, whether you like cherries or not. If the cherries aren't enough to make it into the aroma, the beer shouldn't have to smell like Kool-Aid. This beer was very drinkable, but I think it is definitely one for non-beer drinkers. This beer would have been much better without the cherries.

3.82/5  rDev +18.6%

Poured into a pint glass from a Nov "08" bottle.

Yellow color with a slight redish tint to it. Head was very small, did not retain much of it. Smell is awesome cherrys and sweetness. Taste is very malty, low carbonation, cherry is in there but I dont feel its too overpowering, slight bitter aftertaste. I could see this going very well with a cherry dessert or during a nice winter party. Yet to have a fresh Sam Adams I did not enjoy. Good job SA.

1.45/5  rDev -55%

This beer is a disaster.

A: It looks decent. Like a Boston Lager with a dense, frothy white head. It looks drinkable.

S: What. The. Fructose. It smells literally like a cherry soda.

T: It tastes, unfortunately, like cough syrup, cloyingly sweet and sickeningly artificial. I'm given to understand that real cherries are involved in the process somehow, but I can't visualize this in context with the finished product. At the very, very end of the finish there's a burst of wheaty, warm, inviting malt that I wish was the whole beer. Alas but it is not. This is beer that prisoners would drink if they were out of pruno and were bored of sodomy.

M: Syrupy. Only enhances the cloying character of the taste, though in this case "enhances" only means "makes worse."

Overall, this is a beer that I would not give to people unless I wanted never to see them again. Got two of the damned things with my SA Summer Sampler. The Kolsch and Belgian Session had better be spectacular to make me buy another 12, because the Sam Adams Cherry Wheat is punishment from God.

4.58/5  rDev +42.2%

All I have to say is WOW!

This beer rocks! I am a big Sam Adams fan and love everything about the company and the beers. I'm not a big fan of Boston Lagar, just think it's OK. Summer Ale is in my opinion below average. Winter Lagar is Outstanding!!

Last but not least Cherry Wheat Ale. Yeah, CHERRY, WTF..lol But it's Sam Adams so I had to try it. Has to be one of the tastiest beers I have ever drank. Just like the other guys said, it pours a very nice head. I love the taste, smell, texture, color and just everything, even the bottle it comes in I love.

Bottom line, I highly recommend this beer. Find out who has it in stock and buy as much as you can afford.

1.44/5  rDev -55.3%

Rich mouthfeel with complex overtones. Tastes like beer at first, but then it hits you - cherry. Fake cherry. Why do they add the super-fake flavor? Okay, BS - this stuff is cough syrup. Don't bother. The only person I have known who really liked this stuff was my last boss. Let's leave it at that.

3.44/5  rDev +6.8%

Revisited this beer for round two after an unpleasant first encounter. First time around, I wasn't prepared for the fruit beer (had never had one before) and thought it rather sickening. Served this one from the bottle into a beer glass.

Pours a dusty amber, very thin white head, ample carbonation streaming from the glass's bottom and sides.

Smells strongly of cherries -- dried or candied, but definitely matured and sweetened more than a fresh cherry scent.

Taste is very similar to the smell, seemed to finish a bit harsh at first but smoothed out markedly as the beer went on. A bit of a puckering taste, feels very fizzy and carbonated, too. Might be difficult to quaff more than a few of these between the strong flavor and the carbonation.

3.88/5  rDev +20.5%

A- Dark amber colored, quarter inch head turning into lacing in a short amount of time.

S- Smelled of a wheat brew then a distinct cherry taste

T- Wheat taste, followed by cherry. Not much else to speak of

M- More watery than I expected

D- I could maybe drink two of these in a sitting. I enjoy the taste but the amount of fruit would make me want a change

1.53/5  rDev -52.5%

I was very excited to try this beer. I thought that cherry and wheat would be a good mix and this lead to high hopes of something great. I poured it into the glass and took a whiff...nearly throwing up because of the cherry cough drop smell. The taste was very similar to the smell, reminiscent of cherry cough drops. I had the beer again after a year, hoping that the first bottle was just a bad batch, but the second taste was the same...cherry cough drops...probably a great brew to drink with a cold to supress the cough!

2.91/5  rDev -9.6%

Ok, my first review so here it goes...bought the Cherry Wheat at the only place in town that carries microbrew beers.

A-Really pretty golden color when poured into the glass. About an inch or so of head. Looked really pretty in the glass.

S-STRONG smell of sweet cherries. Really got my hopes up on the intoxicating smell.

T-I could definitely taste the cherries in the beer, but to me it masked everything else, making it taste like tangy cough syrup beer. Made me want to cry slightly.

M-Wasn't too watery, but definitely was a lighter mouthfeel to me. I would say just about average.

D-To me, I couldn't get past a few sips of this beer. In this case, the smell was better than the taste. Hubby's drinking the rest.

3.93/5  rDev +22%

Poured bottle into a pint glass. Nice amber color, showing obvious signs of a fruit beer. Sweet smell, but not over the top. Head fizzles down quick. A real easy drinking beer, that seems to lack the carbonation of most beers. Pretty good out of a bottle, but better off a tap. This is a beer that goes well with a salty snack (wings or pizza). Easy to drink a few.

3.65/5  rDev +13.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 4.5

Served in a glass (out of a bottle/6 pack)

A: Light amber, (mostly) clear, average looking

S: You can smell the cherries in the aroma, but not too much else

T: Tastes like a light beer with cherry flavoring, a bit underwhelming in general but an average fruit flavored beer

M: very light mouthful, decent for the style

D: this is a beer, however, that you could drink multiple of in one sitting, only ~5% ABV and the beer goes down easy

Overall not one of the favorite offerings from Sam Adams, but a decent beer that I come back to every now and then when looking for a fruity beer

4.64/5  rDev +44.1%

This beer is amazing. The flavor is very sweet which I don't usually enjoy, but in this case it seems to be done wonderfully. I had it on tap, into a pint glass and it was one of the better beers I have ever had. The appearance is like a light weizen, not red like I expected. The smell is beautiful with a bright cherry scent. The taste is brilliant cherry - as I said sweet, but not overbearing. The mouthfeel is nothing special, not bad, but nothing to write home about - definitely nothing left over but a great taste. Overall, I highly recommend it - even for a flavored beer.

3.6/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Cherry wheat...I always am skeptical about fruit beers, but the "wheat" piqued my interest, and Sam Adams is a very respectable larger scale brewer.

This beer smells very strongly of cherries. The cherry comes through in the taste as well, but it is not overpowering like the smell. The cherry smell (and taste) is almost a little artificial, but still pleasant.

The "wheat" part of this beer doesn't really come through. When you drink this beer, I guess it does feel...maybe a little thicker than you would expect. But the wheat taste is lost. That is unfortunate, in my opinion. This is not a bitter beer, and the flavor overall is good.

The color is amber and it is fairly clear. I would have expected a wheat to be cloudier.

Overall, I have bought two or three six packs of this beer over the last two years. I am enamored with the idea of cherry wheat, though it could be done better. Still, it is a solid effort. Good, but not great.

3.97/5  rDev +23.3%

Another nice example of fruit + wheat.

This beer kicks you in the teeth with its cherry smell and flavor.

This is one of my favorite Samuel Adams beers. Never fails to impress.

This is a one or 2 only beer. Any more, and you start to lose the cherry bite. A lighter fare desert beer? I think so.

This beer goes very well with mild milk chocolate, shortbread cookies, or even M&M's. Don't Judge!

GF and I found that if you are drinking this beer and eating M&M's, the end result is just like a Chocolate Covered Cherry.

Try it...

3.93/5  rDev +22%

I am normally opposed to the idea of "fruity" beers but this one was done very nicely. The smell is really sweet however the flavor is not too sweet. Unlike some other fruity beers you can still taste the beers in this Sam Adams. It was easy to drink but I can't see myself buying it a lot just because you have to be in the right mood for it.

4.22/5  rDev +31.1%

Call me crazy, but I actually found this beer pretty darn good.. perhaps I got a lucky batch? Others likened this beer to an alcoholic cherry soda.. I likened it to a beer with a good cherry head, and that's exactly what it delivered.

Smooth finish, aromatic long-lasting head. I smell the fruit, and taste the wheat.. for an $8 6-pack, I'm rating this as a solid B+ for a buy-it-anywhere SA beer.

4.03/5  rDev +25.2%

Appearance 4.5: Nice redish golden color, with an initial finger width of head, with fairly standard head retention and moderate lacing. Overall very nice appearance

Smell 4.0: Cherry aroma extremely evident, which almost completely overwhelms any standard beer odor

Taste 4.0: Much like its smell, cherry flavor is particarly obvious, but doesn't take away from a distinct wheat flavor. Aftertaste is what is mainly appealing, and grew on me since the initial mouthful.

Mouthful 4.0 : Carbonation is standard and none of its qualities are fairly overhwhelming

Drinkability 4.0: Could very easily drink several of these in one sitting. Compared to other beer, Cherry Wheat is very drinkable and I would recommend it.

3.51/5  rDev +9%

This came in a summer variety pack, coupled with Boston Lager, East-West Koelsch, Nobel Pils, Summer Ale, and Belgian Session.

I felt a bit skeptical of this, weary that it might be overdone, as are many beers with fruit. Served in a New Belgium globe, with sediment intentionally and properly delivered.

A: Bright body, shining head of fine bubbles that doesn't stay around too long. It did, however, cling to the glass.
S: MARASCHINO. (caps for emphasis.) No trace of hops or malt. Pleasant.
Body: A breed of smoothness that reminds me of Chimay Tripel, owing to the fine bubbles. Graspable.
T: Sweet. First words out of my mouth: Cherry Coke. But not in a bad way, honestly. It doesn't have the biting acidity of an over-carbonated soda. Later, a vague trace of hops. Aftertaste has a remnant of light malt. As it warms, you get a fresh marshmallow impression, if such a thing could exist.

This is incredibly pleasant, despite the fact that it makes little celebration of hops and malt. I think this is meant as a tool to get people interested in different beers. For that, I like it. It's a bit one-dimensional, but tasty indeed. It might be fun to cook with this. Hey! It's in a SUMMER pack, after all! Lighten up.

1.47/5  rDev -54.3%

Appearance: pours a nice amber with a decent head into a snifter (just bought a couple new glasses, thought I'd try them out now).

Nose: overpowering cherry syrup.

Taste: light taste with more acceptable cherry presence; finishes with bad syrup-y aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: crisp and refreshing.

Drinkability: I am having trouble finishing just this one.

This is the first fruit beer I have had, so perhaps this style may not be for me, or there are far superior examples out there I just need to try. This just seemed like drinking seltzer with cherry flavoring.

4.27/5  rDev +32.6%

One of my absolute favorities, as I feel that's it's rare for a beer to be made into EXACTLY what it was intended to be as much so as Cherry Wheat. The cherry taste here is just wonderful at the start, with enough carbonation to really set it off. Somehow, the Sam cherries manage to tast better than your typical cherry. The finish is stronger on the wheat flavor and is extremely clean. Almost everyone I know enjoys this, even if they aren't typically into craft beers.

4.02/5  rDev +24.8%

Despite this being a fru-fru fruit beer I am a repeat customer.

Fine pour, average beer carbonation, small head. Clear with slight copper color.

INTENSE cherry aroma just like fresh cut cherries. Dunno if it's extract or fruit but SA/BBC pulls it off. Tastes like a weak wheat beer with intense cherry flavor that exactly matches the aroma.

Smooth, even flavor through the finish with aftertaste of cherry.

Drinkability factor high, cherry flavor high, want another but maybe not.

4.94/5  rDev +53.4%

I'm not the most educated brewmaster or anything, but i'm very surprised at the C rating for this beer, it's probably my favorite. i drink a lot of beers, and generally agree with most reviews, for the most part, but this one is waaaay off.

Look: s like a beer
Smell: Strong cherry scent, obviously, and also some beery smells
Taste: exceptional is a fitting analysis.. this beer is great, i understand a lot of people have different tastes, but this is just really smooth with the perfect amount of cherry, not too sweet, and a nice change from the norm. great flavor, great balance, i see nothing wrong with this brew

uh.. i'm drawing a blank.. look, smell, taste... what else is there?.. oh right, mouthfeel: uh, feels bubbly and full of flavors.. in my mouth

1.96/5  rDev -39.1%
look: 3 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.75

I didn't really enjoy it, when I was a youth I drank to get drunk, but recently I've started drinking beer to enjoy my beer, unfortunately, I thought I would enjoy this one. Now I enjoy ales, and I thought this would be good, but unfortunately I thought it was just too much like a dry cough syrup.

3.79/5  rDev +17.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Solid beer, one of my favorite beers to kick back with. If you like the taste of beer an want a nice hint of fruit, then this is a very good pick. If you do not like the taste of beer, then I would suggest something different, but for those that can enjoy a good beer this is a solid choice.

3.22/5  rDev 0%

12 oz. bottle from a mixed micro case.

Surprising as it may be, this is the beer that got me into craft beer. Just before I turned 21, I had my college roomates pick me up a six pack at the liquor store. I told them to just grab something made by Sam Adams, preferably something besides the original. I didn't care what it was, I just wanted to try something different.

I loved it for a while, but after having it for the first time in several years last night, I realize I've definatly moved on to bigger and better things.

Beer looks fine and you can definatly pick up the cherries in the smell. These days, it's just too sweet for me though. Taste is pretty good besides that. Is very refreshing for a few sips worth.

I used to drink a whole sixer of these things. I can't imagine drinking more than one now. A very good crossover beer, and a good beer for people to try who are used to macros. I got it in a mixed case. However, I don't imagine I'll buy just for what it is at any time.

Either way, a noble try from Boston Beer.

Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)