Join our email list →

Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Cherry WheatSamuel Adams Cherry Wheat

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States | website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer | 5.30% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-25-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,143 | Hads: 3,724
3.04/5  rDev -5.6%

from a 12 ounce bottle into a glass. average head, with more lacing than i'd expect. smell of cherries immediately tackles the nose. reminds me of cherry yogurt, some wheat, not much though. this one started off good, then got worse with every sip. the fruit seems processed, syrupy. tart pucker i did not prefer. did not improve with warming up, thought of marciano cherries or a flat slurpee at the end.

one is fine but any more would be overkill.

1.12/5  rDev -65.2%

I'm a fan of the Samuel Adams Boston Lager. I purchased the Harvest Sampler Pack and had the displeasure of tasting the Cherry Wheat Ale.

Serving: Bottle..pint glass

Appearance: Light Amber to Gold, cloudy unfiltered look. Pours a 1 finger head of foam and quickly dissipates with no lacing what-so-ever.

Smell: Terrible, cherry additive is overwhelming.

Taste: Cherry taste is overwhelming and almost like a wine cooler..wtf

Mouthfeel: Fizzy and over carbonated, watery

Drinkability: I could down a few if I had a set of boobs, but that is not the case.

2.68/5  rDev -16.8%

Yuck, just YUCK. I'm normally a fan of Sam Adams, with their pub at the shipyard here in Bremerton, but this is like taking a perfectly good wheat beer, and mixing some cherry Robitussin in... why??? Why would you do that?

Please understand, though, that I'm a malty beer guy. You fruit beer types might like this, and with that I will say that the cherry flavor does in fact somewhat dance in a balanced fashion with normal beer flavors of wheat and hoppy bitterness. However, for me, the cherry was too much. It's like playing beer pong while you're on a dare from a friend to do a Cherry WarHead (remember those?). You can taste the beer, but you're too distracted by the clenching, undeniable kick in the face of CHERRIES. I finished the beer, but I'm not likely to buy it again. After two bottles to confirm my personal verdict I gave the rest of the sixpack to a friend, so they could deal with it.

So, all in all, not bad, and if fruit beer is your thing, go for it. If you're a strictly beer or malty, bready type like me who prefers that a hop or fruit overload stay out of his mug or growler (or even a single/double/triple IPA guy who would eat a handful of hop flowers on his own free will), reach for another beer at the 7-11. This one is too much fruit, not enough beer.

2.66/5  rDev -17.4%

App. - Pours nice orange/amber with tight head that lingers for quite a while and leaves a nice lace through finish.

Smell - Cherries, Cherries, Cherries.

Taste/Mouthfeel - Cherries, Cherries, Cherries. First couple of tastes show slight wheat characteristics, but overall, very sweet cherry/candy like taste. Even the mouthfeel seems sugary/sticky and the fruity tast lingers.

Overall - I've had this several times over the years and each time I come back thinking that I'll like it, but one glass of this and I'm set. A nice break once in a while, but just too sweet for my liking and definitely not a session brew.

3.33/5  rDev +3.4%

I like wheat beers, and I like fruit, so I thought this might be good. While I enjoyed it, I don't think I will try it again.

The appearance is fine, nothing spectacular, just what you would expect.

You can smell the cherry aroma fairly easily, not unpleasant.

The taste is what threw me. The cherry doesn't seem to fit too well with the yeasty taste. It seems a bit overdone, maybe if they had backed off on it a bit.

Clean feeling on the mouth.

While it was not hard to finish the bottle, I did find it hard to go back for another. I think the cherry was just too much. I do like the Sam Adams Summer Ale which is a regular wheat beer (I also like many of the other Sam Adams brews as well).

2.64/5  rDev -18%

This was very disappointing for a samuel adams beer, and maybe my expectations were too high. I do feel I'm echoing other people's thoughts though, it's not a good beer. It have a terrible robitussin taste at first, though it improves as I drink it. It is a thin beer and whatever hops or wheat that was used in the brewing process is absolutely shadowed by intense cherry flavor.

4.35/5  rDev +35.1%

Great Fruit Beer. I keep buying this without the intent of getting it because I like to try many different brews. But for some reason, I really enjoy this beer. To me, its got a great summer cherry, nutty flavor that goes down easy and smooth. Great brew while cutting the grass or working in the garage etc... I like it.

1.83/5  rDev -43.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Bought a six pack on a day when the weather was nice. I thought it'd be a nice spring flavor.... Damn, was I mistaken.

A - Light golden color. Clear, and pleasant looking. Medium size head.

S - Tart cherry up front with a wheat back. Smells fresh and fruity.

T - Immediate tart cherry flavor which is pleasant, but quickly turns into a muddle wheat flavor. The wheat isn't crisp and clean, but an unpleasant, almost musty flavor which brings down the taste of the cherry. Awful finish and aftertaste.

M - Thin and somewhat carbonated. I can't quite put my finger on it, but something about this just doesn't feel right.

O - The appearance and smell are extremely deceptive. The taste just does not stand up to expectations. I had a hard time making it through one bottle, and couldn't even think about a whole six pack. I've had some wonderful tart cherry beers, but this one just doesn't work. They should have made it a Berliner weisse. It may have been a little more tart then, but at least it would have a clean, refreshing flavor. I usually rate Sam Adams in the upper end of mediocre, sometimes above, but this is a definite flop.

2.32/5  rDev -28%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2

A vigorous pour into an oversized mug produced a head taller than the beer. Beer was light golden amber in color.

Smelled of artificial cherry flavor, like cough syrup. Deep underneath, when I concentrated hard, I could smell the wheat, malt, and slightly floral hops. Tough to get through that cough syrup aroma, though.

The taste was of real cherries, in contrast to the smell. Also a good thick, sweet malt flavor and a grainy wheat taste. The cherries come back at the end, along with the bitter hops.

The beer had a good full-bodied mouthfeel.

I am not a fan of cherries, but I had heard good things about his beer, so I gave it a try. First off, the artificial cherry smell has got to go, whether you like cherries or not. If the cherries aren't enough to make it into the aroma, the beer shouldn't have to smell like Kool-Aid. This beer was very drinkable, but I think it is definitely one for non-beer drinkers. This beer would have been much better without the cherries.

3.82/5  rDev +18.6%

Poured into a pint glass from a Nov "08" bottle.

Yellow color with a slight redish tint to it. Head was very small, did not retain much of it. Smell is awesome cherrys and sweetness. Taste is very malty, low carbonation, cherry is in there but I dont feel its too overpowering, slight bitter aftertaste. I could see this going very well with a cherry dessert or during a nice winter party. Yet to have a fresh Sam Adams I did not enjoy. Good job SA.

1.45/5  rDev -55%

This beer is a disaster.

A: It looks decent. Like a Boston Lager with a dense, frothy white head. It looks drinkable.

S: What. The. Fructose. It smells literally like a cherry soda.

T: It tastes, unfortunately, like cough syrup, cloyingly sweet and sickeningly artificial. I'm given to understand that real cherries are involved in the process somehow, but I can't visualize this in context with the finished product. At the very, very end of the finish there's a burst of wheaty, warm, inviting malt that I wish was the whole beer. Alas but it is not. This is beer that prisoners would drink if they were out of pruno and were bored of sodomy.

M: Syrupy. Only enhances the cloying character of the taste, though in this case "enhances" only means "makes worse."

Overall, this is a beer that I would not give to people unless I wanted never to see them again. Got two of the damned things with my SA Summer Sampler. The Kolsch and Belgian Session had better be spectacular to make me buy another 12, because the Sam Adams Cherry Wheat is punishment from God.

4.03/5  rDev +25.2%

Taste exactly like it should. Tart cherries with a honeyed sweetness and flavors of sweet honey wheat bread. Great creamy mouthfeel. Not overly complex but very flavorful and satisfying.

4.58/5  rDev +42.2%

All I have to say is WOW!

This beer rocks! I am a big Sam Adams fan and love everything about the company and the beers. I'm not a big fan of Boston Lagar, just think it's OK. Summer Ale is in my opinion below average. Winter Lagar is Outstanding!!

Last but not least Cherry Wheat Ale. Yeah, CHERRY, WTF..lol But it's Sam Adams so I had to try it. Has to be one of the tastiest beers I have ever drank. Just like the other guys said, it pours a very nice head. I love the taste, smell, texture, color and just everything, even the bottle it comes in I love.

Bottom line, I highly recommend this beer. Find out who has it in stock and buy as much as you can afford.

Enjoy!

1.44/5  rDev -55.3%

Rich mouthfeel with complex overtones. Tastes like beer at first, but then it hits you - cherry. Fake cherry. Why do they add the super-fake flavor? Okay, BS - this stuff is cough syrup. Don't bother. The only person I have known who really liked this stuff was my last boss. Let's leave it at that.

3.44/5  rDev +6.8%

Revisited this beer for round two after an unpleasant first encounter. First time around, I wasn't prepared for the fruit beer (had never had one before) and thought it rather sickening. Served this one from the bottle into a beer glass.

Pours a dusty amber, very thin white head, ample carbonation streaming from the glass's bottom and sides.

Smells strongly of cherries -- dried or candied, but definitely matured and sweetened more than a fresh cherry scent.

Taste is very similar to the smell, seemed to finish a bit harsh at first but smoothed out markedly as the beer went on. A bit of a puckering taste, feels very fizzy and carbonated, too. Might be difficult to quaff more than a few of these between the strong flavor and the carbonation.

3.88/5  rDev +20.5%

A- Dark amber colored, quarter inch head turning into lacing in a short amount of time.

S- Smelled of a wheat brew then a distinct cherry taste

T- Wheat taste, followed by cherry. Not much else to speak of

M- More watery than I expected

D- I could maybe drink two of these in a sitting. I enjoy the taste but the amount of fruit would make me want a change

1.53/5  rDev -52.5%

I was very excited to try this beer. I thought that cherry and wheat would be a good mix and this lead to high hopes of something great. I poured it into the glass and took a whiff...nearly throwing up because of the cherry cough drop smell. The taste was very similar to the smell, reminiscent of cherry cough drops. I had the beer again after a year, hoping that the first bottle was just a bad batch, but the second taste was the same...cherry cough drops...probably a great brew to drink with a cold to supress the cough!

2.91/5  rDev -9.6%

Ok, my first review so here it goes...bought the Cherry Wheat at the only place in town that carries microbrew beers.

A-Really pretty golden color when poured into the glass. About an inch or so of head. Looked really pretty in the glass.

S-STRONG smell of sweet cherries. Really got my hopes up on the intoxicating smell.

T-I could definitely taste the cherries in the beer, but to me it masked everything else, making it taste like tangy cough syrup beer. Made me want to cry slightly.

M-Wasn't too watery, but definitely was a lighter mouthfeel to me. I would say just about average.

D-To me, I couldn't get past a few sips of this beer. In this case, the smell was better than the taste. Hubby's drinking the rest.

3.93/5  rDev +22%

Poured bottle into a pint glass. Nice amber color, showing obvious signs of a fruit beer. Sweet smell, but not over the top. Head fizzles down quick. A real easy drinking beer, that seems to lack the carbonation of most beers. Pretty good out of a bottle, but better off a tap. This is a beer that goes well with a salty snack (wings or pizza). Easy to drink a few.

3.65/5  rDev +13.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 4.5

Served in a glass (out of a bottle/6 pack)

A: Light amber, (mostly) clear, average looking

S: You can smell the cherries in the aroma, but not too much else

T: Tastes like a light beer with cherry flavoring, a bit underwhelming in general but an average fruit flavored beer

M: very light mouthful, decent for the style

D: this is a beer, however, that you could drink multiple of in one sitting, only ~5% ABV and the beer goes down easy

Overall not one of the favorite offerings from Sam Adams, but a decent beer that I come back to every now and then when looking for a fruity beer

4.64/5  rDev +44.1%

This beer is amazing. The flavor is very sweet which I don't usually enjoy, but in this case it seems to be done wonderfully. I had it on tap, into a pint glass and it was one of the better beers I have ever had. The appearance is like a light weizen, not red like I expected. The smell is beautiful with a bright cherry scent. The taste is brilliant cherry - as I said sweet, but not overbearing. The mouthfeel is nothing special, not bad, but nothing to write home about - definitely nothing left over but a great taste. Overall, I highly recommend it - even for a flavored beer.

3.6/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Cherry wheat...I always am skeptical about fruit beers, but the "wheat" piqued my interest, and Sam Adams is a very respectable larger scale brewer.

This beer smells very strongly of cherries. The cherry comes through in the taste as well, but it is not overpowering like the smell. The cherry smell (and taste) is almost a little artificial, but still pleasant.

The "wheat" part of this beer doesn't really come through. When you drink this beer, I guess it does feel...maybe a little thicker than you would expect. But the wheat taste is lost. That is unfortunate, in my opinion. This is not a bitter beer, and the flavor overall is good.

The color is amber and it is fairly clear. I would have expected a wheat to be cloudier.

Overall, I have bought two or three six packs of this beer over the last two years. I am enamored with the idea of cherry wheat, though it could be done better. Still, it is a solid effort. Good, but not great.

3.97/5  rDev +23.3%

Another nice example of fruit + wheat.

This beer kicks you in the teeth with its cherry smell and flavor.

This is one of my favorite Samuel Adams beers. Never fails to impress.

This is a one or 2 only beer. Any more, and you start to lose the cherry bite. A lighter fare desert beer? I think so.

This beer goes very well with mild milk chocolate, shortbread cookies, or even M&M's. Don't Judge!

GF and I found that if you are drinking this beer and eating M&M's, the end result is just like a Chocolate Covered Cherry.

Try it...

3.93/5  rDev +22%

I am normally opposed to the idea of "fruity" beers but this one was done very nicely. The smell is really sweet however the flavor is not too sweet. Unlike some other fruity beers you can still taste the beers in this Sam Adams. It was easy to drink but I can't see myself buying it a lot just because you have to be in the right mood for it.

4.22/5  rDev +31.1%

Call me crazy, but I actually found this beer pretty darn good.. perhaps I got a lucky batch? Others likened this beer to an alcoholic cherry soda.. I likened it to a beer with a good cherry head, and that's exactly what it delivered.

Smooth finish, aromatic long-lasting head. I smell the fruit, and taste the wheat.. for an $8 6-pack, I'm rating this as a solid B+ for a buy-it-anywhere SA beer.

Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)