Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Cherry WheatSamuel Adams Cherry Wheat

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.30% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-25-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,138 | Hads: 3,688
3.36/5  rDev +4.3%

Pours a four-finger white head that fades slowly leaving a good lace. Clear amber color. Light-medium bodied and light carbonation. Strong cherry nose. Flavor is all cherry and no wheat, clean finish. $1.50 for a 12oz bottle from Capitol Convenience Concord, NH.

2.73/5  rDev -15.2%

(Served in a Sam Adams glass)
A- This beer pours a hazy orange body with a racing carbonation supporting a thin film of snow white.

S- the bright full aroma of linden’s cherry cough drops dominates the aroma with no malt coming through at all.

T- The cherry flavor is chemical and has a medicinal bitterness to it with some corn DMS that lingers in a dry finish. There is also and artificial cherry flavor that hangs on long after each sip aswell.

M- The medium-light mouthfeel finishes with a tight fizz.

O- The artificial cherry flavor and strong corn flavor make it hard to drink and any other flavors are well hidden underneath those.

3.55/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a Celebrator pokal. Pours a hazy light golden amber with a fine, thin white head and light lacing. Aroma dominated by cherry juice, wheat and a hint of biscuit malt. Flavor is light wheat, bready malt and cherry juice. Cherry is not as dominating as in the aroma. Finishes dry with light hops and sour cherry, slightly astringent. Nice medium body; surprising light creaminess for a low ABV wheat beer. I liked this better than I thought I would, the initial flavor is well balanced and different. Finish is a bit unbalanced and sharp. Interesting.

2.88/5  rDev -10.6%

Pours a clear, pale yellow. One inch head with good retention and lacing. Smells strongly of cherry flavoring (reminiscent of cough syrup). Fits the style unfortunately. There is a smooth and crisp mouth feel (unlike a thick syrup). Average carbonation levels. There is a cherry syrup flavoring that is very strong. Designated as a desert beer and that is the only way I could drink another one of these. There is an associated tartness that makes is hard to drink. Overall, not that great of a combination (cherry + beer).

3.53/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

On-tap at Champions. Oh yeah, the Ravens beat the Saints!

A: The ale is cloudy, a coppery light color that looks heavy with sediment. That sediment leaves the ale opaque despite the lighter hue. A finger of white head accompanies the beer.

S: The nose has sweet cherry juice that dominates all other aspects. The fruits reign supreme and what little wheat escapes is bready rather than tart.

T: The ale practically screams out 'Cherry Juice'. That sweetness, a tempered flavor, semi-sweet and lacking a syrupy twang, isn't as bad as you'd think. Objectively, it comes close to cloying but, just as it does, the wheat rides in to save the day. The flavor, sweet with a bready flavor that doesn't come close to wheat tartness, isn't half bad, especially if one is in the mood for a fruit beer.

M: The mouthfeel is sweet, full of sweet cherry juices. The malt body is thick, an able support for the cherries.

D: Very drinkable and lower in alcohol. Not a go-to fruit beer but drinkable enough.

4.45/5  rDev +38.2%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass. In full disclosure, I will confess that I love cherries in general and cherry beer usuall receives high marks from me.

Appearance: hazy golden-orange color with some small floaties in it. Two-finger ivory head dissipated somewhat quickly but left an attractive lace.

Smell: mostly cherries but a hint of citrusy wheat aroma comes through. The cherries are nice and present but not overdone; I like it.

Taste: nice cherry flavor; there's also a nice rather dry bite toward the end as the fruit yields to the wheat. Delicious.

Mouthfeel: medium-light body with a nice, well-integrated carbonation which yields a nice creamy texture. Great!

Drinkability: I enjoy this beer a great deal and could drink sixer after sixer of it.

2.53/5  rDev -21.4%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A: Poured a medium amber-orange with a slight sudsy white head that quickly dissipated.

S: a overbearing, artifical-like sweetness contributed by the cherries, and some sugary fruitness.

T: cherries, very fruity and pretty much one dimensional. There was some cereal grains in the palate but it was the cherries that pretty much dominated the flavor.

M: overcarbonated providing a lively tingling and fizziness with a thin body.

D: Drinkability was like a cherry 7-up. Pass on this one.

3.87/5  rDev +20.2%

Poured from a brown 12 oz. bottle. Has a dark golden color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is very strong of cherries. Taste is cherries, some wheat, easy drinking and refreshing. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall is an enjoyable warm weather beer.

3.58/5  rDev +11.2%

Enjoyed on tap at TGI Friday's, Millbury, MA, presented in a 23oz hefe-type glass.

Smallish slightly off-white head on an amber shaded brew. Lacing was excellent. Reasonably strong cherry aroma. Taste was pale malts balanced with cherry flavor, but not overpowered by them. Mouthfeel was good for a fruit beer, which is a reasonable compliment since I am not the world's biggest fruit beer fan. Drinkability was good as well, although I am guessing the cherry flavor was strong enough to get old after awhile. Better than I thought it would be, give it a try.

2.68/5  rDev -16.8%

Sampled on Feb. 16, 2009 on tap at a Ruby Tuesday restaurant. It pours a bubbly pale-yellow with a small amount of off-white head. The carbonation is constant. Any evidence of malts or hops are immediately drowned out by the ovepowering cherry and fruity scents. It's just way too much for me. The mouthfeel is of medium texture. The flavor is like cherry Kool-Aid but more sour or tart. I think I caught a tiny bit of hops but it is really indistinguishable from that cherry taste. Subtlety would have been the better route for this brew. Not all that great.

2.45/5  rDev -23.9%

Pours a cloudy orange color with a quickly fading head. The cloudiness is from the yeast activated from the bottom of the bottom because of a quick swirl. The smell really does smell like the filling from a cherry pie. Taste is dry and crisp with slight notes of cherry and wheat. I did somewhat enjoy the smell of this brew but the taste was not to my liking. I did not particularly enjoy the flavor of this beer and it was hard to finish the whole thing actually. There was just something about that cherry flavor that did not sit well with me. Glad I picked up a single and not a sixer.

2.83/5  rDev -12.1%

355ml bottle poured into pint glass 29/8/12

A golden yellow with lots of bubbles that grow as they rise too a thin film that never really falls and leaves a partial ring of lace

S maraschino cherry flavored cough syrup and a little honey

T reminds me of Cherry Neo Citron poured over cereal, not as bad as it sounds but still far from good

M thin and airy, fake cherry flavor lingers for quite some time

O reminds me more of medicine then beer, drinkable but I wasen´t craving another

I normally like Sam Adams but this one was nothing too write home about, even in the sweltering heat one was enough

3.69/5  rDev +14.6%

A: Cloudy golden color. Poured a billowing off-white head that persisted. Some lacing. Decanted continuously.

S: Distinct cherry aroma. Also mild hop aroma. Nicely balanced.

T: Cherry up front followed by mild bitterness. Malty finich. Again, a nice balance.

M: Medium light body. Lightly bitter brought into balance with the sweet cherry. Carbonated

D: More drinkable than many flavored beers.

2.79/5  rDev -13.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Looks ok, not necessarily a cherry appearance. A little noticeable in the head. Aroma is ample.

Taste is more reminiscient of a totally different style, like a lambic or diet cherry coke moreso than beer. None of the usual indicators that this is a wheat beer either. I'd say if you like fruit, go lambic or saison, if you like wheat beers, get a normal wheat/white/wit for that kind of thing.

3.15/5  rDev -2.2%

12oz Bottle

Appearance – Hazy amber colour with a large size fizzy off-white coloured head. There is an average amount of carbonation showing and there is a good amount of lacing. The head lasted for around 5 minutes before it disappeared.

Smell - Cherries, floral notes, wheat, malts

Taste & Mouth - The beer has an average amount of carbonation. I can taste wheat mixed with a very sweet cherry flavour. There are also some floral notes mixed with some light malts. It finishes with a tart and sweet cherry aftertaste.

Overall – I actually kind of enjoyed my first few sips, but the taste started to become too sweet and artificial after a while. It's not undrinkable, it's just not something that I would go out of my way to have again.

2.78/5  rDev -13.7%

The beer pours a light, slightly cloudy copper color. The off-white head is very foamy, about 1 1/2 inches and sticks around a while with lots of lace. It smells like sweet cherries, more cherry-coke like than anything else. I couldn't really smell anything else other than the cherries. It tastes like cherry too, but it's not a strong flavor. There's a grainy/wheat taste in there too, but like the cherry taste, it's not strong at all. Not much of an aftertaste either. The beer smells better than it tastes. The mouthfeel is pretty thin, and it is easy to drink. Overall I'm not impressed. I usually like Samuel Adams beers, but this offering is very average. I'd drink it again if someone gave it to me for free, but I don't think I'd buy this beer again. There's many more beers I would rather spend my money on.

4.83/5  rDev +50%

This beer pours a light pale color. Aroma is similar to cherry coke and cherries in general, which isn't bad because it does live up to it's name in aroma. The taste has a strong cherry essence with some hints of wheat in the background. Again, perhaps too sweet or too heavy on the strawberry. Still a well balanced beer that I feel is worthier than other styles attempted by SA.

2.78/5  rDev -13.7%

12oz. bottle poured into an imperial pint. Best by Feb. 2010. Thanks to BeerFMAndy for the trade.

(A)- Pours a cloudy goldenrod color that produced a rather admirable bubbly white head that is leaving behind some bits of lacing as it slowly dissipated.

(S)- Tons of tart cherries that paired with the wheat reminds me of cherry pie.

(T)- The smell dictated something totally different than how it tastes. The cherries are there, but very artificial-like and more subdued than I would have thought. All the wheat takes center stage; plenty of cloying biscuity hay.

(M)- Very crisp carbonation level. A good decent balance, but the smell deceives you into thinking this will taste good. Very thick feeling and artificially tasting.

(D)- A beer for those seeking something different. Its alright, but I would much rather grab a better tasting fruit beer than this when the mood hits me for this style. Someone who isnt a beer drinker might like this though. . .

3.4/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

A - Pours a light amber color, sort of tan but no head to speak of.

S - Wow it smells like cherry cough syrup! As it sits in the glass more wheat comes through but really mostly a very artificial cherry smell.

T - Ehh it's ok. Very mild, if any, cherry taste. Seems muted even in the glass! Mostly a semi nice wheat and fruity taste lifts this to higher than I expected. Enjoyable.

M - Very light and smooth.

D - Na I will not seek it out but if it was ever in a variety case I would not pass it up. Still it was OK at best.

3.18/5  rDev -1.2%

Pours a reddish light brown body with a thick, frothy head that takes awhile to go down. Some sweetness in the smell and minor hops, but the cherry is predominant. A smooth, somewhat hoppy beer but the cherry overrides everything. Not only is this medium-bodied beer out of balance but the cherry taste is sharp and cutting; reminded me of cherry 7Up. It isn't a bad beer and it tickled my sweet tooth, but I really couldn't stand it that much and one was enough for me.

3.5/5  rDev +8.7%

A: When I poured this one from a bottle to a mug, it had a yellowish color and a cloudy texture. There was an OK head and some good lacing.

S: The aroma, predictably, was dominated by cherries. Not unpleasant, but it didn't necessarily remind me of a beer smell.

T: Like the smell, the taste was dominated by cherries. You do get a bit of the titular wheat and some malt, but the star of the show was the cherry.

M: There was an above average amount of carbonation here, along with a kind of syrupy finish. This is a medium-bodied beer.

D: I have mixed feelings about this one. If you like fruit beers, you might want to try this one. It's not bad, but I don't think I'll move it into the lineup.

4.07/5  rDev +26.4%

I drank this from a bottle into a chalice.

This a great beer but its not a great pour or have a good head. The aroma is very strong of cherries.

Its taste very much like cherries, I like having this beer as a chaser after something strong, but its not great after food.

3.32/5  rDev +3.1%

A nice limpid golden amber to copper color with a modest head and decent lace to coat the glass, Nose has a nice sweet hint of cherries, and the underlying malts add much to the appeal. Start sweet, the top light in its feel, the finish overly acidic, the hops adequate with the aftertaste dry. A drinkable beer, but not something I'm wild about, but many will like it.

1.91/5  rDev -40.7%

A-Pours a light honey color. White head forms and is about a finger thick. I can tell before I tilt the glass, or take a sip, that this beer will leave lacing.

S-Smells like a cherry flavored lozenge. Just a bit whack of artificial cherry. Almost smells like medicine. I guess i could say I smell some wheat but I would possibly be lying.

T-Just not doing it for me. Cherry flavored medicine. Clings to the tongue and hangs around. I feel like I should be coughing because it tastes like I'm sucking on a cherry cough drop.

M-Light but sickly sticky. Carbonation is an afterthought. I just don't like the flavor. There is nothing that the mouthfeel can do to make this a better beer.

O/D-I flat out do not like this beer's artificial, cloying flavor. Had to try it once. I actually think I may regret it. I am not sure if I have said that before.

3.72/5  rDev +15.5%

appearance: cloudy orange, foamy head, not as tinted as i would have imagined

smell: cherry, very sweet

taste: sweet cherries, underlying wheat taste. not a particularly great wheat beer, maybe a better fruit beer, interesting at least.

mouthfeel: smooth, refreshing

drinkability: the cherry would have been too much after a couple more

Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)