Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Cherry WheatSamuel Adams Cherry Wheat

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.30% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-25-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,617 | Reviews: 1,166
4.19/5  rDev +33.4%

This is one of my staple summer beers since I first got the nerve to drink any beer with fruit flavoring quite a few years ago. This and #9 are my never fail fruit beers. I know these in no way compare to some of the hard core european fruit offerings, and well they shouldn't. This is closer to the mow the lawn beer and they go down so easy. The color is almost straw with a hint of copper tone. The head is fair and lively, not much lacing. The aroma is a beautiful cherry blended with a bit of cereal/wheat as one might expect. It smells crisp and it tastes much the same. A light and refreshing wash of pilsner-like flavor laced with a decided cherry sweetness. Somewhat dry but also a bit watery for a quenching libation that finishes with a tasteful tartness. Nothing very complex and easy to drink many. This is my light beer, vaguely soda-esque, but it retains it's beer integrity in my book. May be too soda like for some beer fans but it works for me.

3.18/5  rDev +1.3%

Pours a reddish light brown body with a thick, frothy head that takes awhile to go down. Some sweetness in the smell and minor hops, but the cherry is predominant. A smooth, somewhat hoppy beer but the cherry overrides everything. Not only is this medium-bodied beer out of balance but the cherry taste is sharp and cutting; reminded me of cherry 7Up. It isn't a bad beer and it tickled my sweet tooth, but I really couldn't stand it that much and one was enough for me.

3.55/5  rDev +13.1%

Pours a very hazy dark golden color with a slight cherry reddish tint. Foam is of modest size (especially for a wheat) and fairly creamy.

Nose is heavily laden with sweet maraschino cherries and hints of wheat tang and earthy caramel malt.

Tastes mostly like a crisp American wheat beer with a healthy dose of sweet and sour cherry flavor. It is a bit thin, and maybe even leaning towards watery, but I am enjoying this beer more than I thought I would. Not sure if a six-pack purchase is in my near future, but I'll happily drink these as part of the fall sampler pack.

1.91/5  rDev -39.2%

A-Pours a light honey color. White head forms and is about a finger thick. I can tell before I tilt the glass, or take a sip, that this beer will leave lacing.

S-Smells like a cherry flavored lozenge. Just a bit whack of artificial cherry. Almost smells like medicine. I guess i could say I smell some wheat but I would possibly be lying.

T-Just not doing it for me. Cherry flavored medicine. Clings to the tongue and hangs around. I feel like I should be coughing because it tastes like I'm sucking on a cherry cough drop.

M-Light but sickly sticky. Carbonation is an afterthought. I just don't like the flavor. There is nothing that the mouthfeel can do to make this a better beer.

O/D-I flat out do not like this beer's artificial, cloying flavor. Had to try it once. I actually think I may regret it. I am not sure if I have said that before.

1.82/5  rDev -42%

A: Pours a hazy golden color. A decent sized white head forms, but leaves no lace.
S: This smells of cocktail cherry syrup. Kind of like syrup bars keep their cherries in. Just awful IMO.
T: Very sweet and syrupy. Cherries and a touch of wheat. Pretty much cloying.
M/D: A light body that is fairly creamy. The cloying sweetness and cherries makes this hard for me to swallow.

I am sorry, this is pretty bad. Avoid at all costs.

3.15/5  rDev +0.3%

The color is a cloudy amber with light reddish hues. Head retention isn't amazing, but it's not bad. Lacing is moderate.

The smell is undeniably cherry, though no sickeningly so. There's also the hint of wheat and hops.

The taste is more of wheat than one would expect, and the cherry is a nice compliment. I've had this one before when the cherry seemed more of a sickly maraschino flavor than natural, but this is better. There's just a slight sourness on a dry finish that seems at odds with the sweetness, though natural.

The body is fairly light with low carbonation. It's thin, but not so thin as to seem watery.

2.06/5  rDev -34.4%

A-Light orange...unimpressive head for a wheat

S-Artificial cherries....cherry cough syrup....completely uninviting...why they can't achieve a more natural cherry aroma is befuddling to me.

T-Am I sucking on a cherry cough drop or did I just drink this beer...nasty cherry cough syrup flavor...Not much else..some tartness on the finish..

M-Light side of medium...about what I'd expect for the style..

D-Not for me....If I want a cherry cough drop I'll suck on one....I think Sammy does a nice job with their beers for the most part but this one needs to be reworked or eliminated...

2.84/5  rDev -9.6%

Auburn color with a thin light beige head. Very strong cherry aroma. There was just too much cherry in the flavor making it almost sickeningly sweet. It doesn't even taste like cherries, more like the cherry flavoring they use to make popsicles or something. I honestly didn't bother finishing the bottle. This wasn't horrible, but they really need to tone down the cherry or balance it better with more malt.

4.14/5  rDev +31.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - cloudy golden color with hints of light red. little froth head

S - tart cherry scent with light "artificial" sugar scent

T - Tart but sweet Michigan cherry with some light "artificial" sweetness to it, some nice wheat tastes inbetween.

M - Smooth, good carbonation, not thick or medicinal like the smell/taste dictates

D - Refreshing, not overy sweet and a different class of fruit beer from other brands. A very guilty pleasure.

1.96/5  rDev -37.6%

Pours a hazy yellow to orange-ish color with a light tan head. In the aroma, dark cherry, almost like a cough drop. In the taste, dry cherry and wheat notes. A fruity bite and medium to light mouthfeel, with a dry cherry fruitiness in the aftertaste. I think it is like a couple Ludens cough drops dropped in a mediocre wheat beer.

3.63/5  rDev +15.6%

Color is a hazy deep golden yellow with a thin off-white head that fades somewhat fast, lace is spotty. Aroma reminds me of watered down cherry flavored cough syrup, or maybe kool-aid, theres some wheat malts giving an overall sweetness in with the flat cherryness that seems artificial to me. A powerful nose as it warms but seems almost to much and a bit artificial. Taste is sweet malts of wheat, pale and soft, with a kick of cherry tart flavor thats a bit to sweet and again comes across somewhat artificial and syrupy. A little hard to get past the cherryness with a bubbly carbonation and lighter feel that nearly makes it champagne-like. As it warms it becomes alot easier to handle and makes for a nice drinker but I don't think I'd have alot of this before the flavor starts to get old.

3.58/5  rDev +14%

Golden with light amber notes, a low white head, good carbonation, and decent lace rings. Nice almost real cherry aroma but a bit like cherry cough syrup. Decent spicy cherry fruit flavors but a bit more medicinal than I remember the draft version being. Medium bodied and smooth.

Per Label: "Wheat Ale Brewed with Real Cherries and Cherry Flavor" & "Michigan Cherries and Wheat Malt"

Per BB website: 13.15 P / 1.0128 SG. 5.4% ABV.
Malts: 2-Row Pale, Malted Wheat, Munich.
Hops: Tettnang Tettnanger.
Michigan cherries as well as a touch of honey.

Enjoy Before: Sep '06 (notched)
Tasted: 09/07/06

2.78/5  rDev -11.5%

12oz. bottle poured into an imperial pint. Best by Feb. 2010. Thanks to BeerFMAndy for the trade.

(A)- Pours a cloudy goldenrod color that produced a rather admirable bubbly white head that is leaving behind some bits of lacing as it slowly dissipated.

(S)- Tons of tart cherries that paired with the wheat reminds me of cherry pie.

(T)- The smell dictated something totally different than how it tastes. The cherries are there, but very artificial-like and more subdued than I would have thought. All the wheat takes center stage; plenty of cloying biscuity hay.

(M)- Very crisp carbonation level. A good decent balance, but the smell deceives you into thinking this will taste good. Very thick feeling and artificially tasting.

(D)- A beer for those seeking something different. Its alright, but I would much rather grab a better tasting fruit beer than this when the mood hits me for this style. Someone who isnt a beer drinker might like this though. . .

3.06/5  rDev -2.5%

A: Pours a pale, hazy gold with a tight, clinging white head. Lacing is great, which is something I really was not expecting out of this beer.

S: A strong and somewhat synthetic cherry aroma immediately wafts up out of my glass. My initial impression is that this looks like a pale wheat ale, but smells like cherry soda. Gradually, cream and wheat notes undercut the artificial cherry sweetness, finally convincing me that I am indeed holding a glass of beer in my hand.

T: The entry is predictably sweet with notes of cherry syrup, heavy cream, vanilla, clover honey, and wheat toast following close on its heels. The finish is crisp and dry, but also rather short, with notes of cherry and wheat toast dominating.

M: Very light in body, with a crisp, dry character and fizzy carbonation. While this ale is not all that much of a revelation in the mouth (in fact, I think I could be forgiven for asserting that it feels like a soda), it is very drinkable.

O: This is a decent fruit beer, but I don't feel that it pulls everything together. The brewers at the Boston Beer Company really should have used fresh cherries only, and not included natural flavorings in this brew, as it could benefit greatly from the melding of cherry and wheat tartness that would likely result. As is, it's just a tad too sweet, and the natural grainy tartness of the wheat clashes with the sweetness of the cherries and cherry flavoring.

4.27/5  rDev +36%

Poured from bottle into pint glass

Appearance – Pours a golden color with a two finger white head. The head fades over a few minutes to give a medium amount of lacing.

Smell – Sweet cherries aromas are big and bold. They are matched with a nice bready and sugary smell which well al combined create an enjoyable cherry bread aroma.

Taste – It begins with a sweeter bready and malty flavor. This malty flavor has hints of darker frits which develop more and more as the taste advances. In the beginning there is some cherry, raisin, and plum. As the taste advances the cherry strengths at the expense f the other fruit flavors and is accompanied by a lighter brown sugar taste. At the end the big cherry with the still very present bready base leaves a clean cherry bread taste on the tongue. It a very linger and delicious end.

Mouthfeel – A slightly higher than average body thickness with a medium level of carbonation. The average carbonation is perfect as it makes it a very refreshing brew, while the body really allows those nice flavors to sit on the tongue and soak in.

Overall – With great flavor, aroma, mouthfeel and price this is one of the best fruit beers out there. It is a great balance between malt and fruit making this one fantastic and great drinking brew.

2.09/5  rDev -33.4%

Pours ruddy orange with a thin off-white head. Aroma is big on cherries, but rather than the normal cherry beer debate of whether it is an artificial or natural cherry character, the only question here is which cough syrup it most recalls. My choice is DayQuil. The beer has that almost stinging quality to it, making it plainly difficult to drink. Avoid.

Appearance: medium carbonation, 1/4 inch head, clear, reddish-gold in color

Smell:sweet and tart cherries and light wheat

Taste: sweet and tart cherries, light wheat

Mouthfeel: medium body, moderate carbonation, sweet

Overall: An old time favorite and one that I find refreshing. I try to get a six of this a year. The cherries are present but never too sweet. One of Sam's better classic beers.

3.38/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Part of the summer sampler 12 pack. Decent beer. Gold color with a medium head. Aroma just gave off a little sweetness. The cherry came through, thankfully, on the taste. Pleasantly sour. The label says it is crisp, and I would agree with that assessment. Refreshing, but there are a lot of other beers that fit that category.

3.75/5  rDev +19.4%

Pours ice tea orange with a voluminous head

Light hints of what in the nose complimented well by a surprisingly pungent cherry odor. Natural cherry, too—not synthetic candy flavor.

Bitter/tart wheat upfront, zapped almost immediately by sweet cherry that brings out the tartness. Ends on a sweat note with a pleasant aftertaste. Nice but too simple and not very beery.

A great summer drink and another solid beer from the folks at Sam Adams.

3.5/5  rDev +11.5%

Much better than I expected! This beer was highly superior to Sam Adams Cranberry Lambic. This poured a nice golden, wheat-like colour with a nice head of foam on top of it. This smelled like...cherries, and it tasted like cherries as well with some wheat thrown in for good measure. This beer is not too sweet, and the mix of beer flavor and cherry flavor really works quite well. I would like to try this one on tap if I can find it somewhere. This had a mediocre, crisp mouthfeel and a decent drinkability as well.
Cheers!,
F.

3.13/5  rDev -0.3%

Presentation: 16oz sample, tasted on draft at the Samuel Adams Bar in Miami International Airport.

Appearance: It was late at night, but even after the long flight from LAX to Miami, the orange color of the beer was a surprise and quite bright. Massive frothy white head that stayed throughout the drink and caused a few problems for the server at times.

Nose: Cherry essence is very prevalent and dominates the nose; it has a very sweet fruity odor to it, appealing.

Taste: Whilst the 'in yer face' Cherry nose if fine, the taste is far too overwhelmingly “Cherry” with some light malt, far too much for my liking. This is no Wheat Beer with a hint of Cherry, oh no, this is positively drowned in extract of Cherry, whole cherries would never produce such a strong flavor like this without altering the color of the beer. It had almost a cough syrup aspect to it that put me off, almost a medicinal feel. Take 3 spoonfuls after meals. If they toned the amount of cherry flavoring down a bit, I would imagine this to be much more palatable.

Mouthfeel: Creamy, and it sits quiet nicely in the mouth. It has a good feel and the carbonation levels obviously help this.

Drinkability: Well, I had a whole 16oz to get through, and although I had 2 hours until my next flight to Rio, it took me a long while to drink this one.

Overall: Well, I have not had this before, so I decided to try it. But to be honest, even the small 16oz sample was far too sickly-cherry for me, maybe it would be OK as a dessert beer though. It is not a bad beer, far from it; it just has too much cherry flavoring to make it more than the occasional beer I believe.

2.44/5  rDev -22.3%

Part of a mixed Summer pack, cleaning up my leftovers for Fall.

A- The beer received by my pint glass is a hazy light amber. A massive foamy white head forms to about three fingers and settles nicely with good retention. Tons of lace as the head falls and nice webs all down the glass.

S- A blast of cherry to say the least. It isn't overly artificial but you can tell flavoring was used, it says on the bottle too. It would be quite difficult to get such an aroma naturally, something like Slush Puppy Cherry mixed with real fruit. Slight grain and bread hints behind it all.

T- The candy cherry flavor shows up here too but doesn't dominate like in the aroma. It is still strong but other things blend in with it like cereal grain, yeast bread and tiny hint of wheat. The cherry gets pretty medicinal, like cough syrup, after just a few sips.

MF- Creamy overall feel to a light bodied beer. The wheat must be responsible for some of the silky texture. Moderate level of carbonation and some bitterness that doesn't feel that good with the medicinal flavors.

If the cherry flavor wasn't quite as medicinal, this wouldn't be a bad light beer at all. With each sip the fruit flavor just seems to feel more and more fake.

2.83/5  rDev -9.9%

A decent 1.5 inch head that was retained nicely, had a characteristic "tangy" smell of sour cherries and malt. This beer tasted rather artificial to me... this part was hard to describe. However, it was definitely comfortable with just enough substance. Drinks like a soda, very good drinkability.

All in all, not my favorite Sam Adams, but still an okay beer. I'm not a huge fan of fruit flavored beers (unless they're lambics) so this may be slightly biased.

Do give it a try.

3.47/5  rDev +10.5%

If you are into fruit beers, this is certainly one to try.
It pours a pretty standard gold-amber profile with a nice off-white head that retains itself nicely. The nose is hit with a big cherry danish smell. I like this alot...but I am not sure how appropriate this is for a beer. Seemed more like breakfast or dessert. Regardless, it was quite a unique aroma.
The taste is of an american wheat...not a hefe...mixed with a slight cherry flavor. I was glad that the fruit aspect did not overwhelm the beverage.
Still, not a great brew, but a interesting change of pace.
As far as complexities go, the subtle cherry (tart)sweetness is the only thing here, otherwise it seems rather nondescipt.
Again, a nice change-up, but I doubt I'd purchase this again. If I am looking for a light-hearted, drinkable brew, I'll stick with some sort of hefeweizen

2.62/5  rDev -16.6%

My bestfriend went on a Sam Adams binge and bought this beer. I poured this beer into a glass and looked like your average beer. The smell was very nice with some cherry and some malt. The taste on the other hand was rough. It had a lot of cherry and just seemed like cherry soup to me. I cant think of anything good to say about the taste. The mouthfeel was average and overall I think this beer is below average. I just dont know what to say....

Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)