2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Cherry WheatSamuel Adams Cherry Wheat

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.30% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-25-2001)
View: Beers (119) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,932 | Reviews: 1,079 | Show All Ratings:
6470zzy

A- A light amber pour with a marginal one finger of off white head.

S- The nose is one of domestic wheat and slightly cherry-like.

T- Medium sweetness from the cherries along with a small amount of tangy wheat.

M- Average body and carbonation

D- Lawnmower says it all for this one.

09-28-2008 16:40:32 | More by 6470zzy
SonictheBeerhog

4.03/5  rDev +28.8%

I really really really enjoy this! I like the smell and the taste. It tastes so much like cherries! Its great for a dessert beer, but I feel I could drink this as soda every night for dinner.

If you don't like cherries and still want to give this a try... Don't.

12-07-2013 03:20:30 | More by SonictheBeerhog
ciderfaerie

2.55/5  rDev -18.5%

gorgeous cherry amber color with a lasting faerie ring. this beer shows off its cherry jell-o and tart candy aroma nicely for those of us who are head over wings for fruity sweets. sadly, the taste does not fair as well as the scent. starting sweet there is a bitter end that smacks of cough syrup. clean and fizzy, oh so spritely, its still difficult to take in. fortunately, as the beer warms it does relax a little adding to the drinkability, and since you won't be reaching for your glass much, its sure to warm.

01-30-2006 03:29:15 | More by ciderfaerie
CFbeermaker

Wisconsin

3.25/5  rDev +3.8%

When poured it had a golden carmel color with a white rocky head that left nice lacing. It has a strong sweet cherry odor and once you can get past that you actually can smell the wheat. The cherry taste was not as strong as the smell and I could taste the wheat. Not my favorite flavor. I'm not a big fruit beer drinker. I have had the boisenberry wheat from the Sam Adams homebrew collection and I thought that was a better beer. Cherry Wheat is a smooth beer with not a whole lot of carbonation. I put average for drinkability because I think it is what it is. I taste cherry and I taste wheat. Its not my cup of tea but I can see how others might enjoy this.

04-12-2007 23:25:52 | More by CFbeermaker
daburtman

3.43/5  rDev +9.6%

this beer is incredibly easy to drink, the taste is definately cherry, almost like luden's cough drops in beer form. which can be a plus or minus, depending on who you are. this is definately an easier drink to have but in no means is any form of a "manly man" beer, but its good, however for fruit beers i wouldnt put it in my top 10. its a good beer to try out, but after 2 the taste gets alittle too much for me.

05-24-2007 03:39:48 | More by daburtman
adevans

3.58/5  rDev +14.4%

12 oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

A - Deep yellow color that is almost translucent. One-and-a-half finger head that dissipates slowly with lacing.

S - Smells strongly of cherries. It's a big smell up front. Followed up by a yeasty smell.

T - Very little in the way of hops. Mostly a cherry flavor, but NOT like cough syrup. I'm surprised by how well the cherry flavor melds into the bready flavor of the beer.

M - Smooth. Moderate carbonation that rounds out the beer well.

O - A good beer, though it's hard for me to call it that. It seems like a cherry-flavored mixed drink with bread. It's something I'll remember to pick up in the future.

01-04-2012 01:50:31 | More by adevans
JGargano

Connecticut

2.91/5  rDev -7%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

This beer smells delicious. Very strong scent of cherries and very strong taste of cherries. Quite refreshing but a little overpowering at times. The only thing that is not satisfactory is that the beer stains the lines at bars and whatever is put on after the Cherry Wheat ends up having a faint(old) taste of cherries. The cherry taste is delightful but a bit too boastful.

03-16-2013 17:16:58 | More by JGargano
jasrbrd

3.33/5  rDev +6.4%

A nice cherry aroma but not a strong beer.
I would call this a nice summer refreshing wheat beer, not heavy and not filling. Cherry flavor is OK (but my six pack may have been old because there was a small bad after taste).
I've had these before and it's a nice change if you like the fruit flavored beers.

08-07-2007 21:26:07 | More by jasrbrd
pjohnston007

1.35/5  rDev -56.9%

Paul's one-line review (mini-series):

A:Slightly hazy amber-orange. Piss?
S:Fake, candy, artifical cherry. Overdone.
T:See above. Horrid candy taste throughout.
M:Duality. Thin winey cherry, thick wheat.
D:I'd be sick if I had more than one.

Overall: Not worth it. This is a Brewmaster's Collection? Whatever! This is a hobbyist experiment gone wrong, at best. I truly wish Sam Adams would take this out of what would be an outstanding Summer Variety pack. As it is, this one beer bruises the eye of their Summer pack. Boo! Sam Adams. Badly played.

05-08-2008 02:41:08 | More by pjohnston007
miramanmike

1.98/5  rDev -36.7%

A: Nice golden copper color.

S: Smelled like the malt was ran over by a cherry cough drop on a hot day.

T: I didn't like it at all. I did drink the whole six pack and after the first four the last two went down ok, just not what I thought this beer would be. I was looking for a lighter and better cherry flavor.

M: good carbonation not too filling.

D: It was the longest six apck ever. I would say try it you might like it. (I didn't)

05-19-2009 03:07:21 | More by miramanmike
stephen1162

3.45/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I just finished off two of these obtained in my Summer Seasonal 12 pack from Sam Adams.

Color is copper, nothing unusual. Head is minimal and dissipates quickly.

Taste is much more cherry than malt, but it's a pleasant cherry flavor. I enjoyed this beer.

I might not buy it by the 6 pack, but I won't be disappointed to drink this beer in the variety pack. Sam Adams could improve the beer by cutting back on cherry flavor a little in favor of malt, and getting a little more carbonation.

Stephen

07-25-2012 21:20:16 | More by stephen1162
mtbikeguru

3.48/5  rDev +11.2%

A nice bronze color. 1-finger head with very nice lacing the color of cream/bone. There is a very sweet cherry aroma that hits you right of the bat but its hard to detect anything else, there is a hint on banana. It has a very creamy mouth feel, with just enough carbonation. The Cherry, malt and hops flavors are fairly well in tune, however the cherry flavor seems somewhat over powering but it does finishing cleanly.

This beer is great with rhubarb pie or raspberry chocolate cheesecake...

04-15-2004 00:21:51 | More by mtbikeguru
beerfan82

Iowa

3.18/5  rDev +1.6%

This beer is good but there is a little to much sweetness to it. When one first drinks the beer it tastes more like a sweetened beverage than a beer. The intial taste is good but the taste flatens out when one starts to swallow the beer. Overall this is a okay beer but it is a little to sweet for a same adams beer for my taste. The cherry and beer flavor could be a little more balanced. The cherry taste almost overpowers the beer.

06-29-2004 02:15:09 | More by beerfan82
scratchchance

Hawaii

This was the first time I had seen this Cherry Wheat so decided to try it even though I am not a big fan of cherrys. I was supprised by the nice head, slightly cream coloured. The appearace was a dark red colour smelling of a light cherry odour but not overwellming as some flavoured beers can be. It was extreamly drinkable with the cherry not overwellming, not much hops involved in the brew I suspect but too much would lend to a bad aftertaste with the cherry.

Overall I was very impressed with this first sampeling of Sam Adams Cherry Wheat.

09-11-2005 08:43:49 | More by scratchchance
JKrout

Alabama

4.33/5  rDev +38.3%

Appearance: Pours an amber color, a little cloudy. Formed a thick white head, but little lacing.

Smell: Nice cherry aroma

Taste: This is an aptly named beer. I tasted the cherries as it first hit my tongue, then the wheat kicked in.

Mouthfeel: Light and crisp.

Drinkability: One of my favorite Samuel Adams beers. I can easily drink several of these in short order. Very nice on a hot summer day.

04-09-2009 18:59:45 | More by JKrout
BaerBeer

3.53/5  rDev +12.8%

Bought a sixer of this because my buddy's mom kept raving about how great it was. Poured a 12oz bottle into a glass.

A- Pretty haha. Amber/Reddish-Brown, Great Looking Cream Colored Head

S- Smells like cherries and beer to say the least.

T- I wasn't too impressed by this beer. I drank 2 out of the 6 and stopped because the taste started to overwhelm me. Tasted like someone dropped a Marciano cherry into a wheat beer and shook it

M- Thick, kind of syrupy, not too too bad, didn't want to swish this around much because it kept making my mouth dry

D- Fail. Like I said, I could only down 2 of these, and I was pushing it on the second one. I like complexities, but I enjoy trying to find them in the beer, this beer was to predictable

Overall- Decent beer, not a bad idea to give it a shot. I would probably drink it again, especially if it was on tap somewhere, I bet it would be better that way.

04-10-2009 05:56:29 | More by BaerBeer
iammatt

3.33/5  rDev +6.4%

Pours a nice light copper color with a fluffy, cream colored head. The head slowly subsides leaving behind a fair amount of lacing. Upon raising the glass to my nose one thing stands out, and that is Cherry, almost an artificial cherry like smell, but still anchored on the side of real. Smell of wheat barely sneaks in behind the cherry, but it's definitely there.

Drinking the beer after smelling is definitely a let down. In the nose there was nothing but cherry, now on tasting it's mostly your standard American Wheat Ale with a tiny bit of hop bitterness mixing with the cherries, and finishing with a slightly bitter cherry aftertaste. While the cherry may not carry through as advertised, it is a very drinkable beer, just a let down on the promise of cherry and wheat.

07-13-2009 02:15:40 | More by iammatt
BeerskiBrewski61

Tennessee

1.88/5  rDev -39.9%

I thought I'd like this beer, I guess I was wrong. The color is cloudy, the head disappears quickly, the cherry flavor is overpowering. I really had to choke this down. This is not the type of beer for me.
Maybe if I was on a desert island and had nothing else to drink, if that was the case; I'd want a pistol and one bullet.

07-31-2009 21:10:16 | More by BeerskiBrewski61
adarby

3.08/5  rDev -1.6%

I had a six pack of this wheat beer. It does have a rather sweet aroma, though, it smells like cherry candy, very artificial. This beer is slightly cloudy, much like you would find in average wheat ales. The flavor is a change from the norm, and in hot weather can prove to be quite refreshing, just be sure to keep you other favorites nearby as this one has a bitter cherry aftertaste like you would find in cough drops. The palate leaves much to be desired, just serve this one cold to avoid complications. Overall, this beer is an "OK" beer that is best served cold and consumed rather quickly. Just remember this is a wheat beer and can be quite filling as well.

08-19-2009 03:02:22 | More by adarby
GavDomDadGH

3.8/5  rDev +21.4%

Average apperance. A nice dark gold color. Decent head that sticks around for a while
The smell is amazing. A strong cherry scent with hints of fruit and hops.
Taste is incredible. A very strong cherry flavor with some earthy tones and a hint of hops.
Warning! If you do not like cherrys avoid this beer like the plague.
Also if you order at Applebees make sure you tell them to leave the cherry out of it. I don't need fruit in my beer

08-29-2010 00:16:29 | More by GavDomDadGH
mvmalesci

Nevada

4.2/5  rDev +34.2%

From bottle to glass

A: Cloudy dark orange with small off white head with a little lacing.

S: Strong cherries. Sweet in smell and enveloping...

T: Sweet cherries and wheat. Bright, fruity, with a sweet background. The wheat taste is there blended well with the cherries.

M: Clean and refreshing finish. Nice carbonation.

D: Crisp and clean.A great combination of wheat and cherries.

12-29-2010 02:02:12 | More by mvmalesci
cfergusn

4.1/5  rDev +31%

A: Appears dark yellow, almost an Amber
S: Cherries galore...
T: Taste is good, a little overwhelming if you are not a cherry fan.
M: Smooth, yet not over done.
O: Not a bad choice on a cold night eating BBQ

Thoughts: While I am generally not a big Samuel Adams fan, I have been trying these out of respect to my fellow connoisseurs. So say this is one of the best, other wont touch it. As I do BBQ using a cherry wood, this helped bring the taste out a bit more. Nice combo...

01-18-2012 05:36:07 | More by cfergusn
Yegg

Kentucky

3.23/5  rDev +3.2%

A: Hazy reddish gold appealing color.

S: Crisp fruity cherry aroma.

T: Distinct cherry flavor.Very nice, plesant. Maybe a tad, but just a tad too sweet. Nice carbonation. Very refreshing.

F: Medium body, creamy, finishes very clean.

D: For me this is a very drinkable beer. Hard to believe this is a wheat beer. I'm suprised I even picked it up. Didn't know what to expect but I found this to be a breath of fresh air. Very nice.

02-27-2006 01:46:32 | More by Yegg
UkiPiper

3.73/5  rDev +19.2%

Sam Adams Cherry Wheat
Bottle into glass:

This beer pours a honey clear brown with many bubbles. The thick white foam head lasts a long time, never fully disappearing, leaving think lacing behind. The small is too sweet; it smells like cherry syrup, with only a subtle hint of beer at all. The taste on the other hand is great: not too sweet and with only a hint of cherries. The mouth feel is full but not creamy, very refreshing and easy to drink. The bubbles are not really present in the mouth feel that much.

04-16-2007 20:17:10 | More by UkiPiper
nullforge

2.48/5  rDev -20.8%

Pours a golden color with a faint haze. Maintains a creamy white head with decent lacing. The nose is dominated by a pleasing cherry aroma. A faint cherry bitterness is balanced out by a malt sweetness. While the nose is relatively fresh, the taste is of cherry cough drops. The initial sweetness on the tongue is quickly banished by dry, bland wheat. The wheat and cherry cough drop flavors are unable to blend together and both stick around long into the finish. The mouthfeel is creamy with a bit of water in the background. The mouthfeel and lack of any cloying sweetness allow me to finish the beer, but I certainly won't be having it again.

06-12-2007 05:58:37 | More by nullforge
Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)