Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Cherry WheatSamuel Adams Cherry Wheat

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.30% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-25-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,130 | Hads: 3,649
4.07/5  rDev +25.6%

Appearance: A sensational amber color

Smell: Light sweet cherry smell. This beer had an exception aroma to it

Taste: You could definately taste the cherries, but not overpowering. Perfect for a warm day

Mouthfeel: Somewhat dry and fruity, deliciouso!

Drinkability: I do love the taste of cherries and somewhat fruity beers. On a hot day could probably put down a few of these.

Serving type: bottle (403 characters)

3.7/5  rDev +14.2%

A decent dark gold colour with a very nice head and lacing.

Smells like an average wheat beer but with cherry very conspicuous.

More cherry in the taste than I expected, I could take it or leave it really. It reminds me a bit of cough syrup flavouring. The wheat beer behind the cherry is pretty good.

Mouthfeel is and good smooth with acceptable mid-range carbonation.

Drinkability is ok I could drink a few of these during the winter and probably enjoy them, but I wouldn't say that this will become one of my regulars. (526 characters)

I liked this beer when I first tried it I ultimately grew tired of it after a few years. Now I can raise a glass and fully appreciate the beer for what it is. Although, now I wish that this beer was a little less filtered and closer to a "Hefe". Overall a good drinkable beer with a slight cherry taste towards the finish. (322 characters)

3.01/5  rDev -7.1%

A: Cloudy, with poor head retention. Light orange color.

S: Strong, very strong smell of cherries. Although the strong cherry smell is to be expected, in this case it is overwhelming and reminds me of an artificial flavor.

T: Just as the smell indicates, the flavor of the cherries overpowers everything else. Although this is not my style, I think this is a nice tasting cherry wheat. If you don't want to taste cherries you shouldn't be drinking a cherry wheat.

M: This beer has a good mouthfeel with medium carbonation.

O: Overall I would not buy this beer or go out of my way to drink it again. I have not had many cherry wheats, and do not really know how to compare this to other cherry wheats, but in general I think this is an average beer. (752 characters)

3.8/5  rDev +17.3%

Not as good to me as their Blackberry offering. Lots of wheat gives way to cherry. However, to me the cherry is a bit overpowering and drowns out other aspects of the beer, at least to my palate. Seems a little thin in the complexity area. Wouldn't hesitate to drink them if offered but would probably seek out something different in the store unless nothing else were available. (379 characters)

3.65/5  rDev +12.7%

2. Sam Adams "Cherry Wheat"
*Bottled beer poured into a Sam Adams "Boston Lager" Pint Glass.

Appearance- Pours a light golden color into the glass, and the carbonation quickly coalsesces into an inch and a half head. Great retention. There is some visible carbonation and the beer leaves a thick, bubbly lace on the glass.

Smell- The beer gives off a rich, fruity smell that almost overwhelms the more- subtle scents of bread.

Taste- This drink gives off heavy tones of malt and bread. The taste of hops and cherry balance quite nicely giving the beer a taste that is not overwhelmed by the fruit.

Mouth Feel- Decent carbonation that tickles the tongue as you move the beer around your mouth. Crisp, with a light to medium body. Makes for a smooth

Drinkability- This beer is a good drink on a cold fall day. It is an entertaining experience from the moment the thick head rises over your glass to the to the moment that the cherry and bread flavors mix on your palate. My only problem with this beer is that the taste quickly becomes confusing to the point where I cannot tell the different between the cherry, malt or hops. That being said, each sip ends with a light, crispness that does not ebb as you continue to drink. (1,232 characters)

2.74/5  rDev -15.4%

After the pour there was little head and it dissappeard quickly. the body was a golden color and hazy.
The smell was that of cheeries, and very strong.
The taste was not too good at all, I felt that it was a very processed taste and seemed artifical and too sweet. It was like drinking a cheery soda.
The mouth feel was like that of a watered down weizen.
One of these is enough for me, it's too sweet to drink more than one. Not a good call for this one. (459 characters)

4.22/5  rDev +30.2%

Pours clear, slighty hazy.

Smells and tastes sweet and fruity.

Generally, I do not enjoy fruit flavored beers. But this beer and Saranac's Pomegranate Wheat are the two major fruit flavored beers that do it for me. Try this underrated Sam Adams if you enjoy fruit beers. (272 characters)

3.47/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

WOW. imagine cherry cola with hops.
This stuff is so potent its almost ridiculous, I bought it thinking it would have a subtle flavor and i was mistaken.
If your looking for something fruity that would seem manly its this beer.
It looks and feels like a wheat should but damn its sweet. (286 characters)

4.9/5  rDev +51.2%

A-Its got a beautiful color of Golden reddish brown it's very attractive.

S-It's got a rich smell of Michigan Cherries.

T- It's got a nice sweet taste, but not too sweet.

M- It is not overpoweing at all and that is a good thing. It also does not leave an aftertaste.

D-It's got drinkability alright! it's one of my favorite brew.

Its another great brew from Samuel Adams. Samuel Adams is probably my favorite beer company. The beer is great in a bottle and it's even better on tap! (487 characters)

1.42/5  rDev -56.2%

OK, this one was bad bad bad. Tastes like discount cherry soda mixed with beer, or cough drops. Sam Adams was 6 bucks a 6 pack if you bought two 6 packs, so I picked up a case of this stuff. I would have rather had spent that 6 bucks on a 40 of Old English 800. Yes, this beer is that bad. If you want something fruity, buy cider or a malt beverage like Smirnoff Ice. This beer should not exist. (395 characters)

3.35/5  rDev +3.4%

Pours a nice light copper color with a fluffy, cream colored head. The head slowly subsides leaving behind a fair amount of lacing. Upon raising the glass to my nose one thing stands out, and that is Cherry, almost an artificial cherry like smell, but still anchored on the side of real. Smell of wheat barely sneaks in behind the cherry, but it's definitely there.

Drinking the beer after smelling is definitely a let down. In the nose there was nothing but cherry, now on tasting it's mostly your standard American Wheat Ale with a tiny bit of hop bitterness mixing with the cherries, and finishing with a slightly bitter cherry aftertaste. While the cherry may not carry through as advertised, it is a very drinkable beer, just a let down on the promise of cherry and wheat. (779 characters)

3.83/5  rDev +18.2%

Beer pours pale orange in color, with a head that doesn't last long.

Smell: Black Cherry Soda and maybe just a hint of hops.

Taste: Obviously, cherries dominate the flavor. Though, there is a very light pleasant bitterness that follows the finish. It really is similar to Black Cherry Soda.

Mouthfeel: Very light and crisp. Nothing to complain about here, nor is there anything to be excited about.

Drinkability: It couldn't be anymore drinkable than this beer. Very refreshing, crisp and just enough sweetness to make this a great summertime beer. (555 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +28.1%

poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass. label notched at May 2011 for best taste.

a - Pours a nice reddish/mohogany color with one finger of nice white head with a bit of lacing and moderate carbonation.

s - Smells of cherries, wheat, bread, and fruity malts. Not as over-poweringly sweet as other berry& cherry brews I've tried.

t - Tastes of cherries, wheat, grain, bread, fruits. Does not taste like a sweet, syrupy soda like some others of tried. Kind of a nice dry finish.

m - Light body and high carbonation that tickles the tongue. Refreshing...

d - Very high drinability,not too sweet. The smell does not over-power the flavor as some berry/cherry/fruity brews do. Low ABV makes it easy to have a few and continue to function. I had 2 while preparing dinner...then 2 more with dinner. This beer went suprisingly well with a roasted herb chicken(cranberry sauce on the side), roasted potatoes & mixed veggies.
Then I had one with a slice of chocolate cake...delicious!

I found Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat tobe a versatile beer. Sweet enough to function as a dessert beer, but enough of all the the other things that make a wheat beer enjoyable! (1,165 characters)

3.13/5  rDev -3.4%

A- Medium brown body, white foamy head that sticks around for a while.

S- The cherry aroma is very strong and inviting

T- A little hoppy, strong tart cherry taste, a little malt follows

M- Fairly smooth, medium body

D- A decent fruit beer, but I there are much bettter options (280 characters)

3.5/5  rDev +8%

A: Orange in color and very cloudy with a white head.

S: It's a sweet smelling beer with cherry and grain notes.

T: Has a cherry flavor up front and wheat flavors near the end.

M: A very smooth/medium bodied beer.

O: I like how the flavors changed a lot from beginning to the end. (284 characters)

2.24/5  rDev -30.9%

My wife really enjoys this beer so I had to try it.

Serverd from a bottle, pours a nice lightly cloudy, amber color. Small head, laced glass nicely. Smells very strongly of sweet cherries, very nice... I just don't care for the taste, to me, although the cherry flavor is very evident, the hops overwhelm the beer. Mourhfeel is poor, the carbonation is too coating for me..

Don't let me turn you off from this beer, my wife ( a beer neophyte) loves it, but its just not to my liking. (490 characters)

2.99/5  rDev -7.7%

I got this beer in a Sam Adams mixed 12-pack.
Poured into a pilsener glass for lack of other clean glassware.
The beer looks very pretty, an light amber with burgandy overtones.
It smells decent, kind of a mix between a hefeweizen and cherry soda.
When I first took a sip of this beer, I liked it. It starts off in taste like a normal weissebier, which I love. However, with each additional sip, I felt like I was drinking Sam Adam's with a cherry Luden's cough drop in my mouth.
If you like cherry soda (think IBC Black Cherry) and Sam Adams Hefeweizen, you might like this, as it pretty much tastes like those two beverages mixed together.
This beer is refreshingly carbonated and I found it to be best when fairly cold (around 40-45F).
This could be a very good beer were it not for this artificial cherry flavor. It is very drinkable and refreshing, and wouldn't be a bad choice when trying to convert people from macros.
I couldn't drink more than a couple of these, though. (987 characters)

3.8/5  rDev +17.3%

The first beer that got me into the hobby. Great beer for summer cookouts and for casual drinking. Smell is great, fruity, but not overpowering. Very drinkable beer, i could sip on these all day and still not get sick of it. Not the best beer ive had but defiantly a good one. (276 characters)

3.87/5  rDev +19.4%

Pours a strawberry blonde. Appears unfiltered.

Smell is of cherries and sugary grains. Very pleasant.

Cherries explode on the palate but is not over the top with very minimal wheat notes and a mellow honey nip. I don't understand where others are getting a an artifical flavor. It tastes honest and very natural with an earthy feel. This liquid medicine claim crap is getting old.

This brew has a washy finish rounded by a full body.

I always get giddy when I see these hit the shelves. If you are a cherry and beer lover then this is a perfect match for you. If you don't like cherries then don't even bother with this, plain and simple. This beer is not as bad as people are making it out to be. (703 characters)

4.17/5  rDev +28.7%

12 ounce bottle in Pilsner glass

A: Reddish hazelnut with almost no head and light lacing.

S: cherry slightly sweet. with slight lager overtone.

T: Cherry and Sam Adams Lager mix. A little hoppy. flavor stays, but in a good way.

M: Mouthfeel is thin and cherry flavor stays till the next mouthful.

D: Not the best, but for some reason I Love this beer.
Great with Spicy Wings!!! (383 characters)

3.96/5  rDev +22.2%

The obvious and must abundant ingredient it the Cherry flavoring. I enjoy a little bit of fruity taste in beers. After my initial taste I could also detect a small trace of honey in the recipe that really made for a smooth blend that was light and crisp. (254 characters)

4.09/5  rDev +26.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

12oz bottle into a Weizen

L: light Amber with a small white head, small lacing on sides

S: CHERRIES , yum, and vanilla

T: cherry and grass, small hop bite with a slight sour aftertaste

F: small sting from the carbonation but a very smooth finish

O: this is a nice end of the day beer that I could easily keep in the fridge for that "I want a beer" moments (360 characters)

2.84/5  rDev -12.3%

Bottle given me by a friend. Freshness dated for July, so should be no problems there.

Pours a cloudy light orange, maybe a little less cloudy than I tend to associate with wheat beers. Head is nice, dissipating fairly quickly but leaving plenty of lace behind.

Smell is big round sweet cherry ... almost with overtones of marzipan or almond to me, very sweet. Doesn't really grab me that much.
The taste starts with more of the same big sweet cherry (whoever called it "maraschino" pretty much nailed it.)
Then the cherry retreats for a while and gives you some nice wheaty spiciness ... then it comes back a bit for a touch of maraschino aftertaste.

The label says this is made with "real cherries and cherry flavor."
Even though I really have no idea, I'm gonna suggest that the "cherry flavor," whatever it is, is to blame here.
The sweetness here is not a flavor I associate with unsweetened, straight-from-the-tree cherries.
It's not horribly cloying ... it's just not that subtle, and maybe just a little bit Triaminic-ish in combination with the wheat.

I like and respect the Brewer-Patriot, but I really didn't find this one of his more outstanding offerings.
I give it points for appearance and mouthfeel, and on a hot summer day I suppose I could put down a couple around the barbecue. But I don't quite think Sam Adams nailed what a really good cherry wheat could be. (1,402 characters)

3.87/5  rDev +19.4%

Obtained from: Sam's Wine in Downers Grove http://www.samswine.com/
Sampled on: August 20, 2004

Aroma: Strong cherry flavor is evident from the cherry aroma of this beer. Almost smells like a glass of cherry juice.

Appearance: Has a dark amber/orange color with a strong foamy head. Lots of carbonation in this beer. I could spend all day watching the bubbles.

Taste: It has a distinct cherry flavor, although it may be strong for someone who isn't into that. There is also a strong wheat flavor giving a refreshing afterbite.

Mouthfeel: It was smooth, but awfully light on the body. Almost like it had been watered down.

Drinkability: Definitely a "dessert" beer, I wouldn't drink this with a meal. However it is refreshing and has a good cherry flavor. Unfortunately, it was awfully light - almost like drinking a flavored light beer - for my taste. (867 characters)

Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)