Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Cherry WheatSamuel Adams Cherry Wheat

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.30% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-25-2001)
View: Beers (129) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat Alström Bros
robbyc1

3.25/5  rDev +3.8%

07-09-2012 22:53:11 | More by robbyc1
JeffSuttonTX

2.75/5  rDev -12.1%

03-11-2013 02:12:28 | More by JeffSuttonTX
hoplover82

1.55/5  rDev -50.5%

I can't stand this beer! Every aspect of it sucks. Almost the worst beer I've had.

Looks like watery cough syrup.

Smells like cough syrup.

Tasts like cherry cough syrup.

Feels like cough syrup.

Might as well be cough syrup!

Who like to drink cough syrup?
Not me.
Ewwuu!

12-04-2008 19:10:49 | More by hoplover82
gopens44

3.1/5  rDev -1%

A - Solid yellow and fairly hazy with fruit puree floaties. Some head, but not significantly so with only about 1/8th" worth of foamy head that receeded into a laced hub-bub.

S - Lots of cherry smell comes across almost immediately with little or no backing smell. No wheat smell, no barley, no malts - just cherry.

T- Tasted like a slightly flat cherry Icee. Then it warmed up a touch and brought with it some gentle malts that just kind of hung on for the ride. Not a bad tasting beer, but I was hoping that it would have been a bit more balanced.

M - Nothing exceedingly surprising here, as it was of medium carbonation and light on the tongue

I'd have this again because, well, I like cherry. IT was interesting to say the least but not in any way offensive.

10-27-2010 12:40:40 | More by gopens44

1.75/5  rDev -44.1%

06-22-2013 12:56:35 | More by hockeypuck
BigRedN

Nebraska

Part of the Summer beers mixed 12 pack.

Appearance: Poured from the 12 oz bottle into a pint glass. The beer is a clear dark gold, somewhat amber in color. A big fluffy 1 inch head forms on top of the liquid, which slowly fades to a cover that leaves a little lacing.

Smell: Blast of sweet cherries that never goes away. I get not much else as the cherry just dominates the scent. Although, I will admit, it does not seem so bad.

Taste: I was expecting a total trainwreck like the god awful Cranberry Lambic. I am surprised when I do not find myself overpowered by a cloying cherry taste. There is the presence of sweet cherry flavors, but it is not over the top. A bit sweet. Not too bad. A flavored wheat beer.

Mouthfeel: Light bodied, crisp, clean with no aftertaste (that's good). Decently carbonated.

Drinkability: I was expecting the worst, but found this to be not so bad. It's drinkable, I am glad I only have the two. It would take too long to drink a six pack as I quickly get tired of this.

05-25-2007 04:03:49 | More by BigRedN
kshankar

District of Columbia

2.6/5  rDev -16.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Cloudy/hazy. Yellowish, golden in color. Head is on the smaller side, retention is ok

Aroma: Blehh. It looks like they dumped Robitussin into the wheat beer, or something. Cherry does not have to mean "cough syrup". Wheat scent is there

Taste: Just like the aroma, which isn't pleasant. I don't like the taste of medicine I'm getting here. Especially since Robitussin is at the bottom level of cough syrups.

Mouthfeel: Lightish, carbonation is okay

Drinkability: Unless you have fond memories of your parents giving you cough syrup when you were a child, this isn't for you. Some actual cherry flavoring would have helped, but this one was not that. Pass. I'm glad I have a store where I can make my own six packs. I can't imagine dealing with 5 more of these.

06-13-2009 01:44:05 | More by kshankar
necoadam

3.05/5  rDev -2.6%

Cherry Wheat. Uh oh. This is one of the more stranger beers from Sam Adams. Poured out a dark gold which left lacing around the glass. Pretty nice appearance I must admit. Smell was mostly cherries, almost like cough syrup. Taste was average at best. Wheat upfront mixed with some cherries. Cherries seemed to be quite sweet. A little sweetier than I expected it to be. Ah, average at best.

05-05-2004 01:50:27 | More by necoadam

3.75/5  rDev +19.8%

08-05-2013 21:09:33 | More by AKuehn47
BDIMike

3.5/5  rDev +11.8%

Pours a hazy, honey-gold color with some carbonation. There is a thick white head that stays fairly well throughout the drink.
Smell is very strong with cherries, almost too much for me. Very syrupy sweet smell of black cherries, but a bit of wheatiness jumps in at the end.
Taste has a lot less of a cherry dominance than the smell. The cherries are there, though, with a nice cherry sweet taste balanced by a nice wheat taste. Wheat is much stronger and better in the taste.
Mouthfeel is very smooth. There is a nice thickness to it as well.
Drinkability isn't there for me. I will tap out after one or two of these because of the sweet cherry taste. Fairly nice summer drink, it isn't the best beer, but I would recommend people at least try it.

09-04-2008 01:08:00 | More by BDIMike
SonOfKyuss

2.25/5  rDev -28.1%

03-29-2013 23:15:56 | More by SonOfKyuss
MUSHROOMCLOUD

3.33/5  rDev +6.4%

Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat 12oz. poured into a wheat beer glass. Freshness dated best before Dec. 2005.

The beer pours out an appealing golden honey with a 1" white head. The head had great retention and left some decent lacing. There are about 2.4 million bubbles racing to the top!

The aroma is a mixture of cherry 7-up and for some reason this reminds me of a Belgian waffle with fruit and maple syrup! Crazy, huh?!?

The taste is a delicate sweet cherry flavor. The wheat is apparent but it is in the background.

This beer has fairly big carbonation and a dry finish in the mouth.

This is a very refreshing change. Light with good fruit flavor and crisp. Good for these 100 degree + days we have been having here in the Lone Star State.

07-04-2005 00:37:57 | More by MUSHROOMCLOUD
WJVII

Wisconsin

2.88/5  rDev -8%

Poured into a pint glass this beer was a golden color with a little cloudiness (not transparent) and had a nice 3/4 inch head that lasted for most of the glass. This has an overwhelming smell of sweet cherries. Upon my first sip I could taste the cherries I had smelled, but was surprised at the bitter bite the brew had. There was subtle hints of spice, but I could not get past the bitter taste in my mouth, not what I was expecting. It had decent carbonation and more weight than a light beer had. I cannot figure what the after taste is, but I do not like it--almost to the point of not drinking any more of the six-pack my wife bought for me to try. This is an interesting beer to try, but not one I will make any repeat purchases of.

10-24-2007 23:36:04 | More by WJVII

03-21-2014 03:24:28 | More by timoteo833
Cavanaghty

Maine

4.85/5  rDev +55%

Poured from a bottle into a Sam Adams Glass.

Appearance: Cloudy hazy amber color. Very thin white head with mild lacing.

Smell: Cherries, lots of cherries. Some wheat and hop notes.

Mouthfeel/Taste: Smooth medium bodied. Delicious cherry and wheat flavors.

Overall: Excellent cherry wheat. Well balanced and flavorful. Always enjoy this brew.

12-24-2012 23:12:13 | More by Cavanaghty
Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)