Samuel Adams Triple Bock - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Triple BockSamuel Adams Triple Bock

poor

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

American Strong Ale |  17.50% ABV

Though the little cobalt bottles still decorate the shelves today, this beer only had 3 vintage releases; 1994, 1995, and 1997. Brewed with two row malted barley, water, Noble hops and yeast, along with maple syrup, it was then aged several months in oak whiskey barrels before being bottled. At the time it was considered the world's strongest beer, and a precursor of today's Extreme Beers.

(Beer added by: Todd on 01-10-1998)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Triple Bock Alström Bros
murderofscarecrows

03-28-2013 01:17:20 | More by murderofscarecrows
billybob

pours jet black into a standard wine glass leaving a light brown coating when swirled in the glass. intense smokey aromas of prune, soy sauce, dark molasses, and a hint of the maple syrup and oak wood. taste is intense and complex like a fine aged liqueur. mouthfeel is smooth, with a medium body, and no carbonation. a great after dinner drink to sip and enjoy

06-29-2007 23:46:06 | More by billybob
Elfastball7

11-14-2011 23:24:17 | More by Elfastball7
aanth

11-18-2011 04:13:36 | More by aanth
Blitzstyle

Got as a present from my old lady. Poured about 2oz from a 8.75 oz bottel into a small sniffer. No head at all I mean nothing. Looks like a shot off black whiskey or soy sauce. Leaves a almost grease like coating on the glass when switled a bit. Wow can smell this thing a mile away. Smeels like boozey syrup with chocolate notes. Very very sweet I think the ageing has alot to with that considering its 12 years old. Great on the tounge. You really have to sip this like a fine scotch. Truely a great experience. Great for after dinner (had after a big steak)

10-14-2009 17:31:58 | More by Blitzstyle
putnam

Unfortunately we drank this in the dark. All I could tell was that it was clear, even if deep brownish black. Aromatics of burning cedar, tobacco and brown sugar. On the palate it was closed before it revealed flavors of molasses, pecan shell, nut essence and walnut liqueur. It was super thick and slick with texture that made me think of hot caramel syrup. A drop on the tongue is enough to get the full experience, like tasting $2000/bottle balsamic vinegar. It was thick. Later, after my senses had adjusted to the onslaught of sweets, nuts and spices, impressions of Lake Michigan beaches, complete with hot sand and live fish. Yet there's more: cola bean, vanilla bean...! Oh the thickness! If this was paint you would only need one coat. This is more of a condiment than a "beer"

08-30-2002 07:23:18 | More by putnam
Onslow

My first perfect 5!

One of the best beers the world has ever seen!

I feel sorry for people who don't like it, sometimes it gets me ticked off for a second but then i think, ''hey, more pure gold for me!''

...Pours thick and black, with a red golden tint on the edges
--- smell is of god
--- amazing legs for a beer
--- taste is indescribable goodness, heavily sweetened and quite thick for a beer
--- I could die happy having tasted this and more so, i wish i had the money to buy the rest of the world's supply

... i love this beer! If Mr.Koch ever reads this, e-mail me, I'll do horrible disgusting things to get more of this beer!

10-27-2007 15:39:10 | More by Onslow
PopnLoads

06-04-2012 16:25:04 | More by PopnLoads
coldmeat23

Oklahoma

GLASS: Snifter
TEMP: Cellared @ approx 50 degrees
No vintage printed, so it's 1997.

[In the interest of full disclosure, I like this beer alot. I've had quite a few of them, over the years. Don't know why I haven't got around to reviewing it before now. I haven't had one in about 8 months now, let's see how it's doing, shall we?]

As always, this pours jet black. It is still (no carbonation). It is extremely viscous and oily. There is obviously no head or lacing. In lieu of lacing though, it leaves an 'oily' residue on the sides of the glass.
I think that this is beautiful.

The nose is filled with a mammoth oakiness. It smells like there should be a few oak chips in the glass. There are huge, deep, notes of chocolate covered dark fruits. Milk and dark chocolates, both. Black cherries, figs, dates, raisins, and more. There is also a nice, mild touch of maple sweetness here. This also has a fair amount of booziness in the nose, but at 17.50%abv, that's certainly no surprise!

Okay, this is an absolutely, monumentally, complex flavor profile. I know that I won't do it justice, but I'll give it a shot.
If you had a Cuisinart and filled it with chocolate covered cherries, dates, figs, raisins, Ghiradelli chocolate covered caramels, maple syrup, a handful of mixed, toasted, nuts, a few dark roasted coffee beans, and a bunch of oak chips that were drizzled with liquid smoke, then pureed it and served it in unfinished oak mugs, you'd come close to the flavor of this beer, I think.
There is so much going on in this beer, it's hard to nail it all down.

Despite the lack of carbonation, I love the body of this beer. It's full-bodied and almost thick. It's more viscous than almost any beer that I've ever had (DL would be my first thought as possibly more viscous, but I'd have to do a side-by-side to know for sure). It's smooth and very silky and completely coats your palate, in the most wonderful, delicious way.

Okay, for me, it's looking like this beer is perfect. I, quite honestly, didn't expect that to happen. I knew that my rating would be on the high end, for sure, but I'm as surprised as you that I've given it a perfect score.
I love this beer and I wish that they would make more of it. Either that or send me however much thay have left at this point.
If you have some, feel free to contact me for my shipping address, or to work out a trade. If there is some store in your area, selling them for a buck or two a bottle (I've scene this before), then please contact me and we'll work something out.

10-29-2009 21:20:40 | More by coldmeat23
PeteTheBird

Connecticut

10-13-2013 03:58:09 | More by PeteTheBird
NeroFiddled

4.97/5  rDev +70.2%

Wow! This beer is freakin' amazing. My last bottle from my '95 case.... ... :( This one is loaded with maple syrup and scortched sugar, but with less of the burnt and acidic edge that usually comes with that. There's a little bit of it in the finish, but it's really sweetish and bright upfront. There's also more graininess and caramel to the nose, although the dark black/red fruit and alcohol are there as well. And there's more coconut in the aroma too. And nuttiness and wood. I'm just blown away that each bottle can be so different. It's really amazing. Is it the amount of yeast? Is it the amount of oxygen that was transfered during bottling? I''m thinking that's it in this case. It got less oxygenation and thherefore it's less sherry-like. Or even the cork - this one came out full whereas the others broke-up. I don't know; I just know it's stunning!

08-05-2006 15:32:49 | More by NeroFiddled
rye726

Colorado

4.97/5  rDev +70.2%

Vintage '07

Very impressive bottle. Pours a murky black with shades of mahogany. Thin tan head. Body leaves an oily residue across the glass.

Nose has dates, figs, raisins, prunes, cherries, plums, port wine, bourbon, oak, sherry, chocolate, molasses, vanilla, coffee, roasted malts, licorice and maple syrup.

Flavor is equally complex. Candied, rum covered fruits. Dried cherries, figs and plums. Cocoa, maple syrup, espresso, molasses, old port wine, brandy, whiskey and wood.

Thick, creamy body is delicately carbonated. Long, intense finish. This has aged quite well. Definately a sipper, but really drinks easy for such a big beer.

02-20-2010 20:30:52 | More by rye726
AEK

United Kingdom (Wales)

4.93/5  rDev +68.8%

250ml cobalt blue bottle poured into a small brandy snifter. 1997 vintage. From all the negative comments on BA regarding the cork breaking in the SATB I took care in opening this and couldn't believe how smooth and easy the cork 'popped', it was easier than taking candy from a baby.

A. Colour: Murky brown - looks like gravy browning. Absolutely flat - zero carbonation and zero head.

S. The potent aromas gushed out of the bottle: Christmas cake, sherry, Christmas pudding, bitter chocolate with a minimum of 80% cocoa solids, mint and yes, the soy sauce that everyone slates. True, it is there but no more dominant than the other scents. It is a meaty smell more reminiscent of the meaty smell found in Thomas Hardy's ale. The liquid is ridiculously sticky.
All the aromas that surge up out of the bottle are in the glass, other noted scents joining in the complexity are vanilla, succulent raisins, maple syrup, minted chocolate. I found some musk tones loitering in there too.

T. Strong alcoholic warmth in the mouth, very meaty - well done steak comes to mind, dark chocolate, brandy/cognac notes. A heavy finale of gravy browning followed by a hot 'kick' at the back of the throat. From the second tasting onwards the soy sauce became less noticeable and a more intense bitter chocolate and strong espresso coffee are at the forefront.

M. Heavy, thick and mouth coating.

D. Took me a long time to find this and now having tried it I have to say that I find it to be really good.. It is certainly not a drink for the faint hearted nor can it be drunk swiftly due to its potency. First taste was an initial shock to the senses but the more I drank the more appreciative of it I became. Have to say I find it truly awesome but can understand why others give it such damning criticism. My g/f, sister and mum all thought it was lovely and none of them like beer!!! Glad I have another few bottles to sample over the coming Christmas's/New Years' celebrations.
One bottle generously lasted me a week and 7 very nice servings they were too.

02-19-2011 12:11:20 | More by AEK
ThirdCoast

4.9/5  rDev +67.8%

ST: A 8.45 fl oz blue corked bottle poured into a glass goblet.

A: Dark dark...dark brown...looked like melted chocolate.

S: Chocolate, sugars, sweet, wonderful.

T: Wow...the burn is there, but not overpowering, smooth liquid flows down the throat and leaves oak and wood left on the pallet. Some of the best beer I have ever had. Congrats to Sam Adams for making such a complex brew.

M: Smooth cream with a slight burn. Wonderful.

D: Only reason not a 5 is that I am sure i could only have one and i would be set. This would be great drizzled over some cheesecake.

wow....just wow....

09-15-2007 02:36:20 | More by ThirdCoast
charlottebeer

4.9/5  rDev +67.8%

Sampled 4/1/09: 1994 & 1995 verticle

While it seems like other reviews here didn't properly store their samples, I did! I sampled 2 years, a verticle, with a few lucky members of The Charlotte Beer club and with Robert from Duck-Rabbit Brewery and Drinks Journalist Rick Lyke. We started with the 1994 Vintage. The cork released easily with maple sediment bleeding out the sides. If you have never tried this beer, you will be shocked upon 1st look and smell. I, however have enjoy many samples of this all the way back to 1994. This is a beer for celebrations! Snifter glass needed and needs to warmed slightly from the fridge. Be careful when moving this bottle, not to upset the sediment (yes sediment, it's 15 years old!) carefully tilt glass and tilt bottle slowly, pouring slowly and sip! This 1994 was nothing less than spectactulor! Nice warm bourbon and maple notes. Tastes of fig and raisins, plums and other traditional holiday spices. When it hits you tongue, WOW! What a treat. I have had the pleasure of drinking many great beers from around the world in the last 20+ years and this rates up at the top.

Now we also sampled the 1995 Triple Bock (part 2 in the verticle) and it was nearly completely different. Unfortunatley the cork broke on this one, no worries, we pushed it in and enjoyed the same way. This one was MUCH, MUCH DARKER! It had the aromas and taste of a delicious fudge (to me almost tootsie roll-ish!) and bourbon. Much thicker than the 1994 and much bolder. While the 1995 version was delicious, the 1994 won my heart (and pallet!)!

04-02-2009 14:53:03 | More by charlottebeer
fitzy84

4.88/5  rDev +67.1%

Upon my last visit to the Spirit Haus, I decided to buy one of their 1997 Sam Adams Triple Bocks. To save and savor this drink, I enjoyed a sampling of it from a snifter. Appearance was very, very good. Smooth, black appearance. Very silky looking and leaves a brown tint on the edge of the glass. Aromas were incredible and unique. Very powerful dark chocolate and alcohol aromas with hints of syrup/molasses. A whiff of this is very potent. Taste was extremely, wicked powerful. A short burst of bitter alcohol with a warm, smooth, creamy, chocolate aftertaste. Definitely have to drink this with sips. The mouthfeel is also perfect. Very light and delicate textures that somehow can hold such intensity. Overall, this is not for the faint of heart at all. This was extremely powerful, and I am saving this bottle for awhile.

08-31-2008 00:41:30 | More by fitzy84
lacqueredmouse

Australia

4.88/5  rDev +67.1%

Small blue bottle of the 1994 vintage, shared very kindly by our brewing lecturer with his class after a long brew day. My guess is that this was a particularly well-stored bottle, because this was still a very excellent beer when I drank it.

Pours dark and viscous, but, unsurprisingly given it was 19 years old, completely dead, with no head, no bubbling, no retention. Yeah. Pretty much nothing going on here. The colour is in fact a slight reddish brown hue, as seen when the glass is tilted. It looks thick and dangerous, but certainly dead.

Nose is gorgeous, despite of, or perhaps because of its age. Sweet/savoury combinations of kecap manis, smoked fish, dusty, oxidised chocolate mingle with the true characters of dusky oak and maple syrup, which still smells sweet after all this time. It all blends into a magnificent wholeness, a huge fragrant intensity still coiled up and dormant. It's insane.

Flavour is amazing. Big characters of cherry chocolate, stacks of booze, and a rich, juicy sweetness that tastes almost exactly like chocolate mudcake. More booze, sultana booze, kirsch soaked soft doughy cookies, booze, sweetness, booze. Holy moly. What an intense and insane experience. This is so complex and lovely. So rich and full even after 19 years sitting in its little blue bottle. Wow.

Feel is smooth and thick. This doesn't need any damn carbonation—this is perfectly happy as it is.

Overall, this is insane. It's big, boozy and rich, but with structure that stands the test of time. This was truly phenomenal stuff, and I'm not ashamed to say that this was one of the best beers I've ever had the pleasure to taste.

03-23-2013 02:44:43 | More by lacqueredmouse
RichD

Rhode Island

4.88/5  rDev +67.1%

1994 Vintage poured into a Hill Farmstead taster glass. The cork fell apart in the bottle. Poured with a strainer and there are tiny bits of cork lining my glass.

A: Pours a deep black and nothing else. No head present and not even a ring of suds around the top. Looks like soy sauce in my glass. I actually really like soy sauce, though.

S: Smells of strong booze and maple. The maple syrup smell really dominates the nose of this. Some dark fruits, oak and vanilla round out the scent of this beer.

T: Upon first taste the booze seems like it's going to destroy my pallet. However upon further tasting it turns into a real treat. The maple syrup is the star of this show. Dark fruits, oak and vanilla goodness come through to give this brew some serious depth. I have never tasted anything like this. There is also no booze whatsoever on the taste which is amazing considering the 18% ABV on this.

M: This brew is amazingly thick. Thicker than any barrel-aged stout that I've ever tasted. The alcohol is non-existent. A chewy feeling is left in my mouth which actually makes me want to take another sip. Just awesome.

Overall: This was perhaps the most intimidating beer that I've ever had. When the cork fell apart upon first opening, I thought that it would be the beginning of the end. Then when there were tiny cork pieces in the glass I thought this would be something that I would immediately drain pour among first sip. I didn't even refrigerate this, I just grabbed it right out of the cellar and poured it. The smell also yielded a little caution, but once I tasted it all those worries went right out the window. The taste is one of the most complex beer I've ever had. The maple syrup paired with the dark fruits and oak make this such a well rounded beer. I am actually honored to be able to have tried this, but more honored and surprised that I actually got a good bottle. Hopefully the 1995 bottle is just as good.

03-10-2014 23:40:37 | More by RichD
steelcutoats

4.88/5  rDev +67.1%

I have been waiting to review my bottle of Sam Adams Triple Bock for some time now, and tonight is finally the night. The aroma immediately hit me as soon as the beer was poured. I detect the aroma of licorice, chocolate, caramel, and malt, right of the bat. There is no head at all. There is a film on the inside of the glass that is noticed as the bock is swirled around. The feel inside the mouth is unique, almost like liquor. There is the aforementioned taste of chocolate and licorice, but something more. The Sam Adams Triple Bock almost has a medicinal property to it...almost like an alchemist was at the Boston Beer Company cooking it up. Next time I have a head cold, I'll be sure to buy a bottle of this instead of the usual cough syrup. It is highly recommended that you try to find a bottle of this beer and enjoy accordingly.

02-23-2008 03:21:12 | More by steelcutoats
MrHurmateeowish

Maine

4.88/5  rDev +67.1%

8.45oz blue bottle obtained at the liquor store in Nashua, NH. Vintage not indicated, though from what I can tell it's 1997 vintage. Pours an opaque dark brown/black body with zero head. Aroma consists of chocolate, caramel, wood, graham cracker, with faint hints of alcohol. Tastes heavenly. Never had a beer that tastes better. Seriously. Initial chocolate and vinous qualities give way to a pronounced and perfect toffee caramel flavor. Amazing. The last flavor lingers in the end, which is quite welcome. Possibly the smoothest slickest mouthfeel I've encountered. Rich. No carbonation. The perfect dessert beer. I'm blown away. This beer would pair well with ice cream or a caramel dessert - I see a Triple Bock ice cream float in my future? Absolutely amazing, no doubt about it. I'll be snagging a few more bottles to drink for special occasions and to see how it ages. Wow, I cannot say enough good things about it! Practically perfect in every way.

09-07-2008 03:02:31 | More by MrHurmateeowish
movingtrain

4.85/5  rDev +66.1%

Tried this recently at Dark Lord Day '09 at Three Floyds. I was lucky enough to bump into someone who had a bottle he was carrying around from 1995. I sampled this in a tiny Ale Fest tasting glass poured from the bottle.

A: Black...oil. Sticks to the side of the glass. No head at all.

S: Chocolate, vanilla, cinnamon, oak, some cherry.

T: Wonderful. After a day of drinking brews from all over the country, this was a shot to the arm. Sweet and syrupy. More like an imperial stout (maybe from the age). Heavy chocolate malt flavor. Alcohol was on the back of the tongue, but not overpowering.

Overall: This beer seems to have stood the test of time. I am grateful to have had the chance to taste it...excellent stuff.

04-28-2009 23:41:06 | More by movingtrain
NuclearRich

Connecticut

4.85/5  rDev +66.1%

Poured at a bottle share. Thank you Jim d.
Poured through a colander because the cork is falling through

A. Dense black opacity with no head. Black hole.

S. Port. Deep sherry fruity density

T. Wow. So complex. Dense sweet dark prune-y . Chocolate and port.

M. Thick. Just thick

O. I have to say that all the negativity has got to eIther be completely unfounded or due to poor conditioning. This beer is all that is flavor.

10-13-2013 04:26:15 | More by NuclearRich
Dmann

4.8/5  rDev +64.4%

What and exceptional creation! I have heard so many opinions both ways on this one and I was allmost scared to try it...allmost :) This one poured a real dark brown color with no hint of carbonation or head. It reminded me of a nice port or sherry. The smell exploded as soon as it left the bottle. Wonderfully complex with a sweet malty aspect, a slight maple syrup scent and brown sugar as well. The taste was unlike any beer I've ever had for sure with a very sweet malty flavor mixed with a healthy dose of dark chocolate and molassis. The flavor reminded me alot of marcella wine, but much better with the added chocolate and smokey characteristics. Not something to drink all the time for sure, but pull this one out once in awhile and enjoy.

09-12-2004 10:40:56 | More by Dmann
pzrhsau

District of Columbia

4.8/5  rDev +64.4%

Thanks to auction web sites and people who just bought a ton of cases of this; I have obtained this rare brew. This is the 1997 vintage.

A: Deep brownish black. Opaque with no head and leaves a residue on the side of the glass. No head. Reminds me of dirty engine oil.
S: Very strong alcohol notes with sweet molasses and a warming sensation that reminds me of a pan of chocolate brownies that was just made. Some notes of raisins and dried fruit at the end with cocoa.
T: Very rich flavor. Tastes like a deep rich brandy with great notes of plums and figs. The alcohol is not overpowering persay. You get some nice strong chocolate and maple under tones as well.
M/O: This beer just completely coats the palate. It has so many layers of flavor, it is hard to describe the sensation. Definitely pushes the line of what beer can become.

05-28-2011 17:07:46 | More by pzrhsau
francisweizen

Alaska

4.8/5  rDev +64.4%

Notes: 1994 Vintage/Corked blue cobalt glass bottle. An exceptional beer in a league of it's own. This beer poured a very thick and opaque looking blood-red, brown-ish black colour with absolutely no carbonation what-so-ever. The aromas were of young cognac, fine brandy, tobacco, wood, molasses, maple, sugar, yeast, dark-roasted malts, and alcohol. The taste is of alcohol, maple, molasses, sugar, yeast, and more. The mouthfeel is super thick, creamy, and boozy. The drinkability? This is definately a 'sipping' beer but it is great for a special ocassion or in place of hard liquor. 1 bottle can easily last you 3 or 4 days or be split amongst a larger group of friends. One tip: DO NOT serve this beer too cold! Store it @ cellar temp and drink it @ cellar temp. This is where TB is at its best, imho.

I also have notes on the 1995 and 1997 vintages. I will add them to this review, when I find them!
-F

06-02-2003 12:55:47 | More by francisweizen
Samuel Adams Triple Bock from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)