Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Samuel Adams Triple Bock - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Triple BockSamuel Adams Triple Bock

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

American Strong Ale |  17.50% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 01-10-1998

Though the little cobalt bottles still decorate the shelves today, this beer only had 3 vintage releases; 1994, 1995, and 1997. Brewed with two row malted barley, water, Noble hops and yeast, along with maple syrup, it was then aged several months in oak whiskey barrels before being bottled. At the time it was considered the world's strongest beer, and a precursor of today's Extreme Beers.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Triple Bock Alström Bros
4.8/5  rDev +63.3%

Corked, capped and wrapped 330mL cobalt bottle that my brother has saved since the first release in April 1994. This bottle is old enough to legally consume the alcohol it holds! Served in a in a chalice.

Pours a muddy mahogany with no head and a generous dose of dull turbidity. A swirl produces some nice boozey legs on the sides. No lace.

Rich aromas of raisins, leather, wood, toffee/ caramel, fortified wine and faint maple. The cork it's self smells incredible after 21 years of soaking. Wow.

Holy crap. This tastes and drinks much more like a tawny port than beer. Decadent flavors of toffee, concentrated dark fruit, leather, dark cherries, maple syrup, raisins, molasses and earrhy oak. Every now and then a nip of booze peeks through to remind us that this is a sipper. Just fantastic depth to this.

Heavy, sludgy (in the best possible way) body with absolutely no carbonation. The syrupy goodness coats the tongue for a lingering, candy sweet finish of port, maple, toffee and earthy, leathery oak.

My experience with Samuel Adams Triple Bock was amazing. I feel quite fortunate to have the opportunity to drink from a well-aged bottle of the very first extreme beer's maiden release. This feels like some bizarre validation of my high-abv cellar dwellers.

4.57/5  rDev +55.4%

Rich smelling and tasting, lots of dark fruit with hints of chocolate. Had 1994. Couldn't drink a whole one but then again that's not the point. Guessing the bad reviews are from people who had badly aged ones.

1.72/5  rDev -41.5%

94' or 95' version. Can't remember which. Had one sip, tasted like soy sauce. Would have been good on rice or whatever dish soy sauce is called for. Could have given Kikkoman a run for their money.

3.98/5  rDev +35.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

900th tick but first written review. Why not? Here goes.

Appearance: Black, viscous with a hint of brown at the edges. A swirl presents legs not unlike a fine scotch. Perfectly still with zero carbonation.

Smell: Tar, prunes, black licorice, dark fruit/raisins, burnt caramel, subtle alcohol and wood.

Taste: Similar to the smell - plums/prunes, raisins, char, ash; very sweet but also has an umami-like quality similar to soy sauce.

Feel: Sticky, thick and syrupy with no effervescence whatsoever. A sip coats the mouth and lingers long afterwards.

Overall: This was the 1995 vintage so that makes it 20 years old as of this tasting. While this wasn't a great beer, it really wasn't too bad considering the notoriety and age. The cork self destructed when I attempted to remove it but honestly that really didn't bother me too much and I considered it part of the experience. Truthfully, this beer probably sucks but I was really glad to have the chance to try it and I get a great story out of it so I'm going to recommend it but it would probably be best shared with a larger group of people.

3.43/5  rDev +16.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

1997 vintage. Very, very strong and extremely sweet. I enjoy it for the novelty, but I wouldn't want to try to get through an entire bottle by myself.

2.42/5  rDev -17.7%

Bottle purchased in the mid 90's. After "drinking" one then, this one either sat on a shelf or was buried in a box for 20 years while moving from place to place. Finally decided to open it up.

There is some sort of smegma (don’t google it) around the cork and the neck of the bottle. No carbonation. Has a faint red to cola colored appearance – leaves a nasty brown lacing around the glass. Wow, the smell is definitely soy sauce. Can’t really get past it. The taste starts with an extremely sugary sweet or syrupy taste – just a mess – and then it goes sort of sour and sticky. The aftertaste actually gets to a stout.

Ugh. More smegma in the bottom of the bottle and clung to the side where it laid on it’s side for a while. There is actually a coating on the inside of the glass – a “crust” – like something you’d scrape off the bottom of a boat.

4.05/5  rDev +37.8%

Had this back in the day. So strong back then that I cut with Harp and other beers. Sipped straight but too strong for me back then. Reason I'm rating it now is the Dragon's Milk I had today reminde me of this beer but DM is drinkable by itself. BTW, with the cork, my last bottle of triple bock lasted for well over three years with the ocassional pour. I'd buy more in a heartbeat.

4.29/5  rDev +45.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Ok, so you can't drink this beer and think of it as a beer. It is, but it's sort of in a category by itself. This is a drink you want to have served in about a 2 oz. pour, not much more. It's a sipping beer that should be enjoyed as such.

When this beer first came out, I purchased a case. After tonight, I'm down to just three. I've had some from others over the years that were horrible. Much of the experience is going to be due to the quality of how it was stored.

I've had some over the years that were as many describe....soy sauce. I've also had some that were like tonight, a fine liquour, where the 8.45 oz. bottle could be shared by 5-6 people.

The exerience this evening was excellent...thick and syrup-llike, fabulous aromas and a complex blend of sweetness and malt experience.

Based on the 20+ times that I've tasted this unique brew since 1994, I am confident in telling you that the quality of the storage will determine the quality of your experiece. At this point, the cork will undoubtedly crumble as it did tonight.

3.75/5  rDev +27.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

This beer is Russian Roulette. If you are lucky, its a pretty solid beer (especially with >15 years) but if you aren't you are in for a world of sorrow.

4.74/5  rDev +61.2%

8oz bottle poured into a HF taster glass. '94 vintage received in a trade a couple years back.

A- Cork slides out fairly easily without any crumbling. Pours a dark black, completely still- no head or carbonation to speak of, luckily no visible signs of the sludge that I've heard people complain about in the past. Wasn't expecting much carbonation from this, from what I've heard this is looking good so far.

S- Dominant aroma of chocolate covered port soaked raisins, just a hint of oxidation but not bad for 20+ years in the bottle, can't really detect much booze at all which is great considering the abv.

T- Taste follows the aroma with chocolate covered raisins, fudge, fine port, slight figs, molasses, and almost no oxidation to speak of. Tons of flavor and tastes like a very fine liquor that's been aged to perfection. One of the best beers I've tasted never mind factoring in the fact it's over 20 years old.

M- Coats the mouth and really brings out the flavor, starts off a little bit thinner then I was expecting and gets a little bit thicker towards the end of the bottle- overall probably one of the thicker beers I've had but stays away from being too cloying or overly thick. No carbonation to speak of but I think that actually helps this beer, goes down insanely smooth- almost can't even tell it's alcoholic.

O- Time and time again I've heard people say how horrible this beer is, almost the epitome of how bad a beer can get. I was expecting the same, but luckily this bottle was near perfect. Probably the second best aged beer I've had next to Rodenbach's Alexander. While I'd still exercise caution in trying to obtain a bottle, I can honestly say this is still drinking like a champ if a good bottle and one of the best beers of it's time period.

3.75/5  rDev +27.6%

This was much better than advertised, however I was told by multiple people that it's the best bottle they've ever had. I actually liked this beer which apparently is not common.

3.47/5  rDev +18%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

1994 vintage. Thanks to Jeff for sending this extra a few years back. We opened this expecting it to be horrid, and we were all surprised when it wasn't. Very dark in color and still. The aroma has a lot of maple, and sherry and teriyaki oxidation. Date and plum are evident. It smells like a stepping stone to Milennium and Utopias. The flavor is rich with a big savory umami character. Lots of port notes, as well as plum, date, and maple. Teriyaki is evident but not overly so. It's very rich. It's pretty much still with much warming on the palate. Very rich and oxidized but not the nightmare I thought it would be. Can't drink much of this but it was definitely nice to try.

Poured out the blackest liquid I can imagine coming from a bottle. The neck was completely stained with a ring in the neck that had slightly dissipated over the years. Smelled like prunes and raisins and other dark dried fruits. Taste was similar with port wine like qualities. 17% abv not detectable. If you've had Utopias you can imagine how the same brewery made this beer. Mouth was big, full and viscous. Huge amount of malt left on the palate. The sediment left at the bottom of the bottle was thick, pure black mud. I was scared of this one, but I'm glad to say a 68 / 100 rating for this beer is bonkers. If you happen to have a 1994, open it.

If anyone wants to "troll" me with more Sam Triple Bock please feel free to PM me.

This is, without a doubt, the worst beer I've ever tasted, and one of the most disgusting things I've ever put in my mouth. It makes Olde English seem like Chateau d'Yquem in comparison.

Looks like motor oil, smells like rancid soy sauce, tastes like vinegar, and leaves an awful vomitaceous aftertaste that just wouldn't quit. Foul, nasty, putrid, vile, repulsive, nauseating... there aren't enough adjectives in the dictionary.

Of course since they put it in a pretty bottle and charge a mint for it, some pretentious douchebag probably thinks it's god's gift to the local package store. What were they thinking?!?

4.25/5  rDev +44.6%

When looking at an historic beer from a given point-in-time, it's crucial to temper any concerns about the aged beer with the perspective of what the brewer was trying to achieve in 1994. Now that this beer is 20 years old, I decided to open this on the week before Oktoberfest on a crisp, cool autumn evening in the DC area. To be sure, we cannot take lightly the fact that this beer has aged for two decades, and for the past six years, it remained out of my control--though it was assured by friends or colleagues to have been either cellared or refrigerated for the duration.

Appearance: The 330 ml bottle displayed an indigo iridescence which pestered me every time I opened the fridge. The entire cork eased out with an audible "pff", to my surprise. A slow pour into a snifter felt slow and heavy. It reminded me of a very fancy balsamic vinegar--the kind which is aged for decades. Coincidentally, I noted other characteristics which reminded me of this as well. No visible head. A thin band of translucent, viscous syrup sat alone atop a vast, dense black void.

Several factors at play here--some due to the barrel aging; some due to the linear time in the bottle: strong vanilla, more like a dark rum in many ways than a bourbon-type aroma. hints of booze permeate the bouquet. Cherry, toffee, and possibly some wood-like aromas emerge.

Strong characteristics of both balsamic vinegar and chocolate syrup. A boozy backbone quickly rises and falls quickly. Some lingering sticky and astringent flavors. Reminds me of similarly aged strong bocks/ales such as Sammichlaus. The strong fruity flavors shot straight up my nose, while the malty backbone stayed on my tongue. Efficient, like the Germans (or in this case, American brewers) often are.

Sticky but not harsh. The beer retained a full body all these years and if anything else, perhaps offset any harshness of alcohol with the high quality malt backbone it wants to show.

I want to think that this beer bottle, despite its age, fared better than most negative reviews I am reading. Indeed, it lacks some complexities which no doubt have faded over two decades, but it's a cozy beer which makes me think about where we were as a beer nation in 1994. The Beer Hunter was a brand new program/book, most of the "third generation" brewers like Stone, Dogfish, Avery, and Allagash were either glimmers or not even started yet. It's envelope-pushing beers like this that likely set the stage for extreme beers and extreme brewing. Would we be here today without this? Probably. But Triple Bock got Europe's attention that we were about to deviate from their traditions, and never look back.

3.4/5  rDev +15.6%

Vintage 1997.

Appearance: pours like an oil sludge, thick black and sticky looking. some hints of brown around the very edges. absolutely no foam or head even while pouring. leaves a sticky brown film around the glass and sometimes shows some alcohol legs. completely black as night. after pouring out I noticed a black slurry left behind in the little blue botte. Looks strong, old and intense, just like it is. 4/5

Smell: as i started to remove the cork it broke in half revealing the bottle half of the cork soaked in a thick blackish goo. I immediately began to get huge whiffs of caramelized maple syrup. the smell is very sweet. lots of chocolates, ranging from milk to dark, some black malts but very little roastiness. Notes of oak and a vanilla sweetness. Surprisingly the booze is there but extremely mellow. the smell is almost amazing except a salty soy sauce like smell that creeps in. 3.25/5

Taste: opens with a strong caramelized maple syrup, sometimes the soy sauce creeps in and ruins the sip. again the chocolate flavor in this beer is extremely powerful and sweet. a wide variety of taste show up with every sip. anywhere from bourbon, oak and copious amounts of vanilla to dark fruits soaked in booze and black malts. Again the roasted malt character is extremely low, if it is there at all. Booze is evident from time to time but never out of control. again almost an amazing taste except that pesky little soy sauce flavor. 3.25/5

Mouthfeel: a super heavy beer. thick and sticky as can be. strong booziness and some lingering sweetness. 4/5

Overall: A beer I have always wanted to try and happy I finally did. This is on the verge of being a great beer, but there is just a little something off and salty about it. a great predecessor to the big bold beers of today. I wish I could have been drinking beer when it was released just to know what this used to be 17 years ago.

I tasted this beer when it first came out in the '90s. Shared the small bottle with a friend. Not sure we finished it. It might have been a precursor to today's extreme but tasty beers, but it in no way is/was it a beer I would want to drink again. A syrupy mess with an excessive alcohol heat. Very solventy.

4.08/5  rDev +38.8%

I feel compelled to write a review of this beer.
1994 vintage, gift from a wonderful family I met thru work
A- this bottle was very well cared for ; the cork came out whole, in one piece and easily. Pours a light-sucking black hole into the glass. No head.
S- booze, sugar, whiskey, dark fruit. Reminiscent of a balsamic glaze. Sweet, sweet, sweet!
T- delicious, but just too sweet. This is something to be drizzled on a bowl of ice cream or dripped on parmesan cheese cubes, not drank from a glass. It reminds me very much of a well-aged balsamic glaze, which I also could not drink a glass of.
M- it paints the tongue like a brush. Thick, coating.
O- super glad I got to try this legendary beer. While i enjoyed the flavor, it's just too much to take in anything but small doses; you might like hot fudge sundaes, but you wouldn't want to drink a glass of hot fudge. Enough said.

1.25/5  rDev -57.5%
look: 1.25 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

I had a bottle of this when it was "fresh" around 1995, and we all thought it was awful. So I dutifully stored the second bottle in my wine cellar until recently. I still had the little paper strung around the neck and everything.

Still bad. Like god awful. Prune juice left in the sun for hours, then soy sauce added. It reminds me of the concoctions that 8 year old boys mix up at the lunch table.

It's only redeeming value? It does contain alcohol.
What the hell were they thinking when they put this together?

The blue bottle looks awesome once the sludge has been power washed out of it.

1.82/5  rDev -38.1%

Shared this with BPK59 at his birthday party. A fun tick. This was 1995 vintage. Of course Ben broke the cork off and in to the bottle...hah!

A - Poured in to a small snifter a motor oil thick dark dark brown nearly black hue with some really incredible legs.

S - Aromas of sweeter malts, salty brine, soy sauce.

T - Taste is even worse than the nose. Loads of sticky sweet malts, salty sweet soy sauce. Ugh

M - Mouthfeel is heavy and syrupy

O - Overall this was a soy bomb. I guess this beer truly is russian roulette, as some bottles are incredible and others are just plain drain pour. Still, glad I got to try it!

3.99/5  rDev +35.7%

11.2oz bottle of the 1997 bottling. Thanks for opening this one up, Regen. Poured into a Cigar City snifter today, 4/23/2014.

A- Dark brown body, almost black. Minimal 1/4 finger tan head with no retention whatsoever, no lacing at all.

S- Complex nose that consists of port, maple, bourbon, oxidized sherry, and a ton of sugary brown malt. This is a very sweet beer, but its one that reminds me a lot of Utopias, but without the solvent alcohol booze.

F- Oxidized sherry, port, maple syrup, bourbon, sweet brown sugar, some caramel, toffee, molasses, slightly cloying sugar, oak. Complex, reminds me of a mix of Utopias and Black Tuesday to borrow the description of another BA that we drank this with.

M- Medium body, on the thinner side but certainly not lacking flavour. It has a lot of punch to the palate. I didn't think it was 18%, but then again I shouldn't be too surprised given the reputation of Sam Adams' high gravity beers.

O- Not bad at all, an unique drinking experience indeed. Not something I'd seek out again, but this is a beer you'll like if you enjoy sweetness and a bit of cloying flavours in a beer.

4.58/5  rDev +55.8%

Beautiful taste sweet at first finishing up with molasses finish that lingerers leaving you with a taste for more. Before you know it its all gone leaving you wanting more of this hard to find beer desirable with every sip. Cant believe the taste of a beer that has been aged for 17 years I believe got better with age leaving a distinct taste in your mouth that only a particular connoisseur can appreciate

4.87/5  rDev +65.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

1994 Vintage poured into a Hill Farmstead taster glass. The cork fell apart in the bottle. Poured with a strainer and there are tiny bits of cork lining my glass.

A: Pours a deep black and nothing else. No head present and not even a ring of suds around the top. Looks like soy sauce in my glass. I actually really like soy sauce, though.

S: Smells of strong booze and maple. The maple syrup smell really dominates the nose of this. Some dark fruits, oak and vanilla round out the scent of this beer.

T: Upon first taste the booze seems like it's going to destroy my pallet. However upon further tasting it turns into a real treat. The maple syrup is the star of this show. Dark fruits, oak and vanilla goodness come through to give this brew some serious depth. I have never tasted anything like this. There is also no booze whatsoever on the taste which is amazing considering the 18% ABV on this.

M: This brew is amazingly thick. Thicker than any barrel-aged stout that I've ever tasted. The alcohol is non-existent. A chewy feeling is left in my mouth which actually makes me want to take another sip. Just awesome.

Overall: This was perhaps the most intimidating beer that I've ever had. When the cork fell apart upon first opening, I thought that it would be the beginning of the end. Then when there were tiny cork pieces in the glass I thought this would be something that I would immediately drain pour among first sip. I didn't even refrigerate this, I just grabbed it right out of the cellar and poured it. The smell also yielded a little caution, but once I tasted it all those worries went right out the window. The taste is one of the most complex beer I've ever had. The maple syrup paired with the dark fruits and oak make this such a well rounded beer. I am actually honored to be able to have tried this, but more honored and surprised that I actually got a good bottle. Hopefully the 1995 bottle is just as good.

3.41/5  rDev +16%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Review is of a 1997 bottle, first time drinking this beer since it's release in 94, when I enjoyed it a lot. Nearly 17 years later let's see what I think.

The first sign of trouble is the total explosion of the cork when I try to open this. Fortunately a corkscrew finishes the job cleanly and no boys of cork sully the beer itself. I pour somewhat aggressively but cannot muster a head whatsoever; the beer is totally still and without lacing. Can't say I'm surprised. The beer also lacks any chunky matter which I consider a major coup at this point.

The aroma is very intense, syrupy maple, raisins, burnt something or other, a definite umami quality referenced by another reviewer. A dark forest floor mushroom truffle soy aspect is lurking at the edges. The flavor is almost overshadowed by the massively syrupy mouthfeel, a heavy, coating viscous body that clings to the tongue. Immense sweetness that finishes with a lightly burning fusel alcohol note. The umami thing is there but less persistent than expected or suggested by the aroma; there is a very vague sense of soy sauce but I don't find it to be all that prominent. The take away for me is over the top sugary sweetness, maple, burnt sugar, raisins and prunes, fusel alcohol, with subtler notes of soaked leaves and forest floor; dirt and funguses and stuff like that. Weird.

As stated before this is a heavy weight syrup fest. Sticks to the mouth for a long time, coating the lips and tongue. What a weird ass beer but a revolutionary one that should be acknowledged for its influence on the big barrel aged beers of the present. That being said if you have one these I would suggest sharing it with two or thee other people; finishing the bottle alone is a bit of a chore.

Jeez it's hard to fill in the numerical ratings for this one. It's
Pitch black and has no head or lacing but also doesn't have any detritus. Aroma and taste are both complex and heavy and not without appealing aspects. Mouthfeel is one of the most memorably hefty in the nearly 2000 beers I've tried.

The more I think about it, the BA who said this reminded of cheap Madeira is pretty much right on target if you want to cut to the chase.

1.41/5  rDev -52%

Yes, it's true! If someone would have told me that I would have had the chance to try the legendary "worst craft offering ever" (SA Triple Bock) and the infamously "worst macro offering ever" (Bud Chelada) in the same night, I would have died of glee. Turns out that, in fact, that DID indeed happen about a month ago. Someone brought a '97 vintage of the dreaded Triple Bock, and I celebrated later at a friend's by opening the Chelada beer. But, this is about Triple Bock, which allegedly makes your skin decay and makes puppies choke on their own drool. Poured out of a 12oz corked bottle into a tulip glass. I had the misfortune to do the honors, for everyone, pouring and all.

And it's no surprise, because holy hell is this a syrupy, thickened mess of a beer. Pours a black color that is extremely terrifying, as if you're staring into the the deep, dark swirling void of pure macabre and alienation. A mahogany, oily looking head coats the top, and leaves behind a sticky, highly disgusting look on the side of the glass that is a charming combination of molasses and coagulated blood. My hands were sticky for the remainder of the night with the few drops that slipped out of the glass into my hand. The entire cobalt bottle was stained black with each pour. I went around the table pouring this, looking at each spectator in the eye and observing the trembling passage of fear and despair as they would look into the treacle in the glass with knocked knees and progressively whitening skin. Indeed, the stark contrast of the dark concoction with the paling skins in the room seemed to portray the gray line of us crossing into the unknown in partaking with this beer, with no turning back as we approached our individual glasses to each of our noses.

Some have likened the aroma of Triple Bock to many horrifically exotic items that you should never consume, but to me, it simply smells like cheap Madeira - and that's pretty much it. Heavily caramelized, with lots of oxidation, with big umami notes of mushrooms, soy sauce, salt, as well as rotten plums. This is the catch with Triple Bock - it convinces you that it is a source of pure evil in its appearance, but then as you approach your face closer to the liquid, it materializes into a friendly jester of a spirit, telling you that it is okay to imbibe it, everything will be alright, and that the two of you are going to make fast friends. It's one thing to tap into the forces of evil, but to actually make *friends* with it?? For a moment we were a bit reassured, and the gray line tightened up ever closer. Together, we all took a sip.

This is perhaps the only instance in consuming a beer where I can, with full certainty, claim that the devil made me drink this. I don't even *believe* in the devil, but I do believe in the cold, disheveling apex that is the horribleness of SA Triple Bock. One sip, and terrible things begin to happen. Beer turns into soy sauce - soy sauce turns into oil - oil turns into blood - and the blood that descends burns, and latches itself to the sides of the tongue and the inner areas of the esophagus, without fully letting go. Dumping the rest of the beer in a bucket, we realized that it was too late - the demented liquid had already created a symbiotic, Succubus-like connection within our body, and indeed, had latched itself into the deep recesses of our very souls, forever changing us, and forever showing us the truth of what happens as soon as the gray line closes up upon us. Never would we drink beer the same way again, and never would we find something seemingly designed for imbibing that would perhaps be a better condiment for rice, bok choy, eggplant, and other Eastern varieties. Truly sinister and unforgiving.

It truly takes a horrible beer to appreciate even the most mediocre offerings on the market ever more. Indeed, the worst part about our tainted souls from exposure to Triple Bock is that we are now willing to present this to everyone that we can, with any chance we get. It doesn't only change your life by inflicting major pain on your psyche - its true evil is that it compels you to order something, *anything*, as your next beverage, perhaps as an effort to cleanse your palate of its malign profile, or perhaps as a way to forget you ever had the experience with as much cheap booze as you can get your hands on. Highly recommended in every sense of the word.

Samuel Adams Triple Bock from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)