Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Samuel Adams Triple Bock - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Triple BockSamuel Adams Triple Bock

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

American Strong Ale |  17.50% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 01-10-1998

Though the little cobalt bottles still decorate the shelves today, this beer only had 3 vintage releases; 1994, 1995, and 1997. Brewed with two row malted barley, water, Noble hops and yeast, along with maple syrup, it was then aged several months in oak whiskey barrels before being bottled. At the time it was considered the world's strongest beer, and a precursor of today's Extreme Beers.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Triple Bock Alström Bros

I love many of life's indulgences: music, film, food, beer, BeerAdvocate.com, and so on.

With most of my strongest interests, I have a well-documented love for the best of the best...and the worst of the worst. For example, my favorite movies of all time include the widely-acclaimed likes of "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest," "The Godfather" (parts I and II), and "Rocky." They also include the inimitable "Troll 2," "The Crawlers," and "Manos: The Hands of Fate" (try sitting through the non-MST3K version in its entirety).

As such, when I began to foster an abiding interest in beer, it stood to reason that I should seek out the most infamously bad beers available, in order to further my education and shorten my life. As of the time that occurred to me, Samuel Adams Triple Bock was the most notorious beer discussed on this site's forums. And so I sought it out.

I was sent a bottle of 1997 Triple Bock -- along with a "bonus" bottle of Blue Diamond Stout, straight from China -- by BA EinWeizenBitte. From California to Georgia. For free (i.e., he asked for nothing in return). Thus began my odyssey.

I held onto the already twelve-year-old bottle for a few months after receiving it, until I could share it with as many people as possible under exactly the right circumstances. Those circumstances turned out to be the night of my grandfather's funeral, at my homebrewing uncle's house. I can think of no more appropriate context in which to attempt drinking Triple Bock. My brother and I stepped outside to open and pour the beer.

Appearance: The bottle itself is small, blue, and unassuming. In fact, I'd go so far as to call that delicate vessel attractive. What lurks inside, however, is repugnant.

Upon removing the placebo seal around the cork, and then the cork itself, I was greeted with no evidence of carbonated life. I did my best to pour the beer evenly into two glasses, and it lived up to its reputation: it looked like fetid pond water, rife with suspended algae and the long-rotting carcasses of various aquatic fauna. Chunks of thick sediment clung to the insides of both the bottle and each glass. The end of the pour yielded an audible "plop," the result of a slimy wad of what appeared to be manatee feces entering the glass. My God.

Smell: Please, don't smell it.

Others have likened the stench of Triple Bock to soy sauce, but I suspect something far more sinister is afoot here. The souls of innocent toddlers, slaughtered by a demonic cult? The olfactory distillation of Genghis Khan's tyranny? I'm not sure. Whatever it is, it smells far worse than any soy sauce I've ever encountered.

Taste: In each person's lifetime, one encounters a handful of turning points. A first kiss. High-school graduation. A wedding day. The birth of a child. For me, the moment Triple Bock met my lips was one such turning point.

As soon as the thick, tarry stool sample caressed my tongue, I knew I had been fundamentally changed. The rumors were true. Triple Bock tastes at once sickly sweet (like vomit after you've eaten a stack of pancakes drizzled with maple syrup), bone-chillingly sour (like soy sauce brewed in 1910, or vinegar derived from an eagle's tears), and improbably alluring. A second sip unveiled notes of mulch pile, fresh giraffe manure, and 9-volt battery.

This beer is a revelation.

Mouthfeel: Imagine giving a pint of blood -- you know, as you would at the Red Cross. Then imagine letting that blood partially coagulate, at room temperature, for maybe eight hours. Next, imagine attempting to drink that blood. That's how this nightmare felt in my mouth...and in my soul. As an added bonus, I could do nothing to remove the sensation, flavor, and smell of Triple Bock from my tongue, teeth, palate, and throat for several hours after drinking it. Even hard liquor couldn't cut through it.

Drinkability: Whatever the OPPOSITE of drinkability is, Triple Bock has it. In fact, it's made of it. I'd rather drink my own regurgitated bile than attempt to choke down another sip of this cruel, twisted monstrosity.

True story: While outside, my brother and I poured a little bit of Triple Bock into the bowls of the three dogs who live at my uncle's house. All three dogs, very hungry due to not having eaten since breakfast, ran toward the bowls, then simultaneously retreated by slowly walking backward. They appeared to be concerned that whatever was in there might reward sudden movement by attacking them. Such concerns were probably well-founded.

Truth be told, I strongly recommend Triple Bock to everyone who calls himself a beer connoisseur, just as I recommend "Troll 2" to strangers I pass on the street. There truly is nothing else like it in this world. It deserves every bit of its insidious reputation, and it will take years off your life.

Highly recommended.

Pours out dark brown, almost looking like soy sauce. When swirled around the glass, it leaves an iodine-like film. Smells like roasted malts, concentrated prune juice, and soy sauce. Tastes just about the same but has a taste of celery salt in the finish and aftertase. Mouthfeel is sickly and slick. Totally undrinkable.

1997 vintage

A: The cork rips in half when trying to remove. Using a corkscrew results in the rest of the cork falling into the beer itself. Poured through the strainer, it pours blacker than the inside of Satan's sphincter. The strainer catches the pieces of cork along with what looks like phlegm a smoker of 80 years would cough up. No carbonation.

S: The aroma of the beer can only be described as the worst experience of your life in olfactory form. Soy, molasses, and memories of a traumatic childhood fill the nose.

T: I have looked into the abyss, and the abyss looked back. Its name is Samuel Adams Triple Bock. Never has my tongue been so mistreated. Soy and molasses are the Ike to my tongue's Tina Turner. My taste buds attempt to flee, but to no avail--they are hunted down and ruthlessly beaten.

M: Thick, flat, and oily--if Death could cry, I imagine its tears would feel something like this beer.

O: I would say this beer is worth trying, just as a video of a horrific car crash is worth watching, or a smelly finger is worth sniffing. One can't help oneself--the temptation is overwhelming. Tread with caution, though--even with nearly a dozen people to share this beer with, only about an ounce was drank before the rest went down the drain. If you have any gods, say a prayer to them before embarking on this bold adventure.

Purchased 12/08, 1997 Vintage.

After seeing so many threads about this beer in the BA Forums, imagine my surprise when I saw bottles of it showing up at my local Bevmo. There was no way I could pass up on an opportunity to try a beer with such legendary status... Unfortunately, as I would soon learn, there are some mistakes we can never take back.

This is my baseline for "Worst Beer Ever." An absolute undrinkable mess. As soon as I popped the cork and took the first sniff, I knew I was in trouble. Soy sauce, fish sauce, miso. This was fermentation gone nuts.

The pour was not any more inspiring. Black, thick, lifeless, it oozed from the bottle and stained the side of the glass a sickly dark shade of brown, before settling into a pitch black pool at the bottom.

The taste. Oh the taste. This is not beer. This is not barely wine. This is something you use a dash of in Japanese or Thai cooking. I could no sooner recommend drinking this beer than I could recommend drinking Thai Fish Sauce straight from the bottle.

Seriously, since you're not going to be drinking this "beer," cooking with it is your best option. It's not like this beer is going to get any worse being re-corked and thrown onto your spice rack. Use it to take your Asian cuisine to the next level of flavor.

Bottom line: There's no way this beer was supposed to be aged for 11 frickin' years, and normally, I would pass on reviewing it... But if a large California chain liquor store sees fit to sell it, people should be warned about what they are getting into.

Avoid at all costs.

Update 3/5: A friend of mine popped open another bottle of this. It was equally as bad. Again, this beer may have been good years ago, but its almost certainly death-in-a-bottle now. I would avoid unless you knew the bottle to have been stored in only the most absolute perfect of conditions.

Hmmm....no longer brewed? I thought it was a thing of the past but then a case of it sat at Hall's Grocery, beckoning me.

Evil, lying, evil stuff with which I will not sully the good name of "beer".

It is absolutely black, looks like a glass of iodine. No carbonation but the bubbles that appear from pouring have a rainbow effect. This only serves to heighten the resemblance to old motor oil. The bottle retains a thick sludge. No, you don't understand. Like you can't see though the bottle and the bottom is like a tiny La Brea tar pit. I'm pretty sure Jim Koch never meant for this to sit in a warehouse somewhere for 12 years before drinking. The smell is molases and a bitter, eye-stinging wet wood smell. Ugh. I'm serious. It hurts my eyes. The taste is harsh, medicinal and again, like a tin of molases with a soy sauce chaser. The mouthfeel is cloyingly slick. I'm reasonably sure its been fermenting long enough to gain some sort of mental functioning and is desperately trying to avoid being swallowed. The stuff burns my throat on the way down. Good grief. I don't want to slight the guys at Sam Adams and I'm sure this is just over-aging and bad storage but this is one of the worst things I ever tasted. This just set the bar.

A major want for years. Huge thanks to Frank for hooking me up with this one.

A: Gross looking, to say the least. Dense and thick with huge chunks staying behind in the bottle. I swirled the liquid in the glass just to see what I was dealing with. Bad idea. It left the glass stained with thick brown streaks.

S: Sickeningly sweet. Smells like if you were to blend soy sauce and a raisin puree together and then leave the concoction in a hot car for a day and a half. Molasses and booze in there as well.

T: Slightly sour plum with a blast of sweetness so strong, it was nauseating. Prickly booze, fermented raisin and raisin cake. As it's in your mouth it sends these weird little zingers out that taste like pure MSG. A sour, lingering liquid raisin finish. I'd say it lives up to the hype. Easily the worst beer I've ever come across.

1995 vintage. 250ml bottle poured into AVBC snifter. Thanks goes to roosevelt25 for this one.

A: As I grabbed the cork to pull it out it immediately broke off in my hand (without much force I might add), and when I tried to screw a corkscrew into the remaining cork in the bottle the cork just fell down into the beer, so we're off to a good start. The beer itself is flat, which isn't a huge surprise. The color is similar to motor oil, black with murky brown edges, and it's just as greasy looking. It turns out having a piece of the cork in the bottle was a good thing because it prevented most of the sediment from entering my glass. In fact, I didn't know just how much crap was left in the bottle until I went to rinse it out. The liquid that was left came out like sewage, full of chunks and sludge. Also, it turns out the bottle is clear blue and not black! Who knew? There was a thick black crust covering the entire inside of the bottle that broke free into shards as I rinsed it free. Glad I didn't get any of that crap in my glass.

S: As I peeled back the black plastic sealing the cork I could already smell strong notes of soy sauce. Upon pouring the beer and taking a sniff I still got notes of salty soy, but they were hidden under layers of over oxidized dark fruits, grapes/raisins, molasses, and vomit (or at least gastric acid). The smell made my stomach turn, so at this point I went and got a cup to spit into if need be, and prepared for my first sip.

T: I needed the cup. I tried to hold the beer in my mouth to pick out the flavors but my gag reflex had other plans. After rushing to the sink to rinse my mouth out I reflected on the flavor. I could definitely taste fruit, rotten fruit, and a good dose of molasses. The beer was also very salty and vinegary though, and there is no way you wouldn't get sick drinking it. I can't really say more about the flavor as the thought of it makes me want to drink straight Everclear to burn the taste off my tongue.

M: Again, I don't even need to go into this. It's flat, it's thick, it's grimy, it's salty, it's acidic, and it's nasty. If you can hold it in your mouth long enough to discern more than that then you should go to a hospital.

O: I feel bad reviewing this beer since it's obvious that there is no way it should have been aged more than a couple years, let alone sixteen. Still, here it is. Also I was surprised how bad this was considering it wasn't "the bad vintage" of 1997 as I cannot imagine it being any worse. Every beer geek should try this beer once; hell, that's the only reason I traded for it. Just make sure to have about 10 other people try it for shock value (it's better if they are unsuspecting), but make sure you do it outside so you don't have to clean your carpets.

Two Words... Soy Sauce.

This beer was absolutely terrible it smelled up the whole room, and actually ruined my palete for the rest of the night. The whole room smelled like a Chinese restaurant.

I have never tasted Utopias, I just hope it doesn't taste like this...

Micheal Jackson had this in his book of 500 great beers, but apparently there was something wrong with the corks so that it couldn't age well. Opened this thing and the cork broke off in the bottle. Split it with as many people I could find that actually wanted to try it.

Poured about 2 ozs into a tulip glass. Black, no carbonation. Looks like oil. Just created a nasty brown film around the glass. The bottle itself left a thick black film that looks like I didn't pour the bottle at all. After dumping most of this thing and wiping up some spills with a paper towel, it looks exactly what your toilet paper would look like the next day if you actually drank this.

Aroma of soy sauce. We actually did a side by side with soy sauce and this smelled exactly what the soy sauce would smell like if left out to rot for a few years. I could write of other aromas of maple syrup, vanilla, etc. but that might fool you into thinking this smelled nice. Sticking your nose in this just hurts. I can still remember it the next day.

It took a lot of courage to drink a small sip of this thing. I had to hold my nose like I was a high school girl trying liquor for the first time. I don't want to bring back memories and try to describe any flavors, it was just bad. Don't drink it.

Mouthfeel...I don't want it in my mouth. Drinkability...I could only have about 1/4th of an ounce before rinsing my mouth out with water.

This is the single worst beer I have ever had. I'd rather drink colt45 for the rest of my life. I was super gassed when I saw this at the local distributor. I opened it and all I smelt was soy sauce. It had huge chunks of black tar fell into my glass. I thought that I would get sick but my friend made me drink it. The aroma smelt like sweet soy sauce. The flavor was acidic and atrocious. WILL NEVER BE DRANK AGAIN. it was a 2007, which means it was bottled in 1997. Thats 9 years entirely too much age.

1997 vintage.

At approximately 14 years old since it was brewed, this is the oldest beer I have ever consumed. Split with my buddy to share in this experience.

Pours an opaque dark brown/black with no head whatsoever. There is visible sediment floating around in the beer after it's poured. Swirling the beer around the glass leaves murky soy sauce legs that drip back down into the beer. Smell is of soy sauce, teriyaki sauce, dark fruits, and dark chocolate. Strong alcohol aromas are coming off this one too. Oh. My. God. The taste of this beer makes me want to punch Jim Koch in the face. Horribly sour, salty, sweet soy sauce and teriyaki flavors are most apparent. Very hidden dark fruits and chocolate are masked by this unholy taste. It says this beer was brewed with maple syrup but that is nowhere to be found. Absolutely zero carbonation with a super thick and chewy/sticky mouthfeel. Overall, this is the single worst beer I have ever had hands down. I am not so sure if it's like this because it's 14 years or so old or if this is how it tasted fresh. Either way this was an experience I won't soon forget.

I found a bottle (1997) at a random beer store in Ocean City, MD. This beer lived up to all the hype. It was just as terrible as everyone says it is. Six of us shared a bottle, and we didn't come even close to finishing it. It was a malty, boozy, soy saucey, vomit inducing mess. I'm fairly certain it is one of the worst things I have ever drank. It poured a dark oily black, and left brown stains on the glass. After you smell it, you will not want to drink it. It tastes almost exactly like it smells. The dregs of the bottle look like moldy soup when you pour them out.

Wow - this one should be great. 15 years old 1995 vintage. Off to a bad start, cork is totally ruined.

Looks bad, like real icky. Dark black, no head. Lots of nasty cork chunks floating around. I'm actually hesitant to even smell it.

Smell is wretched. It's like old rancid soy sauce and rotting maple syrup. There's really not much else to it.

Taste, I can't believe I even tried it, is putrid to say the least. Sweet maple syrup is sickening, it is the only beer that has ever made me gag and almost puke from one sip, while completely sober. There's more soy taste behind the sweetness and still some alcohol burn.

Mouthfeel is a joke, it's very chunky from the cork pieces which is just horrible, and there's no carbonation to help.

Wow again, even after all the joking about this beer, I never thought it would really be this bad. This is by far the worst tasting thing I've ever had, even worse than the Cave Creek Chili Beer. It fails in every respect. Granted it's 15 years old, so maybe it would have been at least drinkable 10 years ago. YYYUCK!

This is, without a doubt, the worst beer I've ever tasted, and one of the most disgusting things I've ever put in my mouth. It makes Olde English seem like Chateau d'Yquem in comparison.

Looks like motor oil, smells like rancid soy sauce, tastes like vinegar, and leaves an awful vomitaceous aftertaste that just wouldn't quit. Foul, nasty, putrid, vile, repulsive, nauseating... there aren't enough adjectives in the dictionary.

Of course since they put it in a pretty bottle and charge a mint for it, some pretentious douchebag probably thinks it's god's gift to the local package store. What were they thinking?!?

What in the world is this? I tried two bottles, so it wasn't that one went bad.

It poured a thick black ... too viscous and clingy... and it left a weird brown film that reminded me of crude oil sludge all over the glass. Very unpleasant to the eye, but it was about to get worse.

As soon as it approached my nose I realized that something was horribly, horribly wrong. Soy, mixed with maple, combined with rotting fruit? The taste was even more miserable. Tasted like sour prune juice blended with soy sauce. This is one foul, nasty, undrinkable brew. Whatever they were going for here, they failed spectacularly.

Worst tasting thing I can ever recall consuming. I would rather plunge heated barbed wire into my tongue than allow this to ever touch my precious palate again. I curled on the floor of a shower and cried for a good 15 minutes until its ungodly taint left my flesh.

This beer has led me to make this solemn vow: I will pimp this product whenever possible so as to ensure that others experience the same misery I have.

okay, so here's the deal. Traded 484dan a bottle of 120 minute for a bottle of this. He was told by his beer distributor that the beer was probably the '94 vintage. I cracked it open with some friends and was immediately struck by the overpowering smell of soy sauce (like many others have noted). I could find nothing about this beer that was enjoyable except for the novelty of such an absurd and terrible beer and the nice bottle it was in. It had the look of iodine, the smell and taste of soy sauce (minus the salt, replaced with alcohol), no carbonation and just hung on the side of the glass like motor oil. We had only poured half of the 8.45 oz bottle and had split that between two of us and still had trouble getting that down. I am going to save the rest and try it as a tofu marinade for some stir fry and see how that goes.

Basically, if you really want to try it, go ahead, but dont expect to enjoy it--not even a little.

Drank this a few years ago. Found my notes from it while cleaning out my desk.

9/2008 '97 bottle date poured into riedel single malt snifter.

A - best part is the bottle. dark used, burnt oil w/ sludge like sediment.

S - Burning diaper full of bad chinese food.

T - Overly sweet, tangy, salty. bad bad combo.

M - coats the mouth like nothing i've had before, or want again

O - I wonder if this was "decent" fresh...

Corked bottle in dark blue bottle. 1997 vintage. the goddamn cork just broke off. god damn. poured into a nonic. Bought off of ebay. Now I know why: it has gone horribly bad.

A - theres a whole world of yeast and cork bits down at the bottom of the bottle; kind of funky. the brew pours into the glass like a thin oil. no head, body is completely black. I'm not so sure about this beer, especially with how it smells. there is a thin brown film left all over the glass.

S - the smell is almost vinegared, or soy sauce. yeah, soy sauce. there is alcohol intermixed with all of it, but the acidic or salty soy-like note is inescapable. maybe the smell is a super concentrated currant/raisin note, I dont know, but there is a definite aspect to the beer that smells really off. perhaps nearly 12 full years was too much aging? there are definite fruity aspects to the beer, but i just cant wholly isolate them away from the soy. alcohol has a definite sake-like dryness to it.
despite this, it still smells like shit: rotting fruit in soy. yeah, having just gotten another whiff of this, I cant justify anything good about it. forget about trying to appreciate the fruity aspects to it, the beer is just revolting to smell, unless it were to be used in cooking.

T - holly shit, this is like having prune juice that has been infused with alcohol and rice wine vinegar. I dont know how much of this I can drink. oh my guh, this is too bad for words. a total drain pour. its like taking a pill and having the taste of the medicine come out, in that bitter, repulsive, face-contorting way. no way, I'm not drinking this.

MF&D - well, no carbonation, but that doesnt really matter, because the beer is undrinkable, and it tastes god-awful.

I wish I had gotten some that were good!

Found a bottle of this at a San Diego BevMo. It was the lat lonely bottle. That should of tipped me off right there.

Reviewed from notes.

I go to pull the cork and the bottom quarter crumbles into the bottle... I fret none and pour carefully into a snifter.

aroma... I have no idea what is happening, smells of teriyaki sauce. Teriyaki sauce that has turned.

Taste.... after looking at this thick ooze and smelling it for several minutes, and after getting my wife to smell it... i decide I must take at least on sip...considering I payed for the bottle. Probably not even a quarter of an oz gets on my tongue and I spit it out into the sink. I grab a glass of water and try to cleanse... but nothing stands up to this pungent stuff. Think I drank hot sauce or ran to brush my teeth and scrub my tongue off.

by for the worst thing I have ever tasted, not even in the beer world, but in all of my life.

'97 Vintage, shared with a brave friend of mine.

A - Pours a murky dark brown, like liquified excrement. No head at all. My friend got some gooey solid substance with his half of the pour. A thin, mucus-like film clings to the glass where there would normally be lacing.

S - Smells like soy sauce blended with prune juice. Lots of repugnant sweetness. Raisin notes are there, but not in a good barlywine-esque way. More in a "My God, can this thing smell any more horrific" kind of way. Some notes of rotting wood come through as well. Not pleasant.

T - Soy sauce dominates yet again with strong and unpleasant raisin and molasses notes backing it up. The sweetness is overbearing, but there's a lot of saltiness to it as well. I'm also picking up some prune juice. Salty soy sauce flavors linger on the palate just strongly enough to make you run for a chaser to get that gawdawful taste out.

M - Syrupy and gooey. The sharp salty sweetness of it actually stings the inside of the mouth a little.

D - This is hands-down the most horrifyingly disgusting substance that I've ever put in my mouth. I'm not sure what it tasted like fresh, but it's painfully clear that this stuff is far past its prime. My friend suggested that it could make a good addition to an asian dish.

Tell the Sam Adams owner to start buying this stuff back. Bought a bottle at a mix a six shop in PA. Poured dark black, like tar. Smelled terrible, soy sauce like. Rancid taste, undrinkable. Definitely a drain pour. It porbably tasted pretty good when it was first made, but if you see this, don't buy it unless you DEFINITELY know its a fresh one!!!

Ok. i actually paid money to try this beer because i enjoy "HOT" beers, and figured it can't be as bad as some people say.

I was baby slapping wrong.

As soon as i poured it into 2 glasses to split with a friend, and we saw what appeared to be partially Coagulated Blood flowing into our vessels, we knew something serious was about to happen.

I am a FireFighter. I have smelled dead things.
and i would even give dead things an aroma rating of 1.5

I don't know what came over me to even consider sipping this after the visual and aromal onslaught. Afterwards i was begging to be water boarded, if it removes the taste great if it kills me great. Rotting Prunes,Plums,Figs,Musty Moldy Basement Water, Rotting Wood,Soy Sauce,Blood.

I managed maybe 2oz of my 4oz pour. then i poured it out, yet tasted it for days. Quite a few good beers majesty were diminished thanks to the lingering stench of death imparted upon my palatte thanks to Samual Adams and his fould beast Triple Bock. I will run and hide in its presence for all eternity.

1.03/5  rDev -65%

Good god. Pours a dark brown with dark golden highlights, almost like soy sauce. Absolutely no carbonation, and when I swirl the glass, leaves a slightly disturbing sticky film. Aroma of pure soy sauce, plus a little bit of pure evil thrown in. Cloying palate is horrendous - fermented maple syrup mixed with prune juice. Body is sticky sweet, with a consistency kind of like port wine. Absolutely the least drinkable beer - nay, beverage - I have ever encountered.

1.03/5  rDev -65%

After sitting on this beer for weeks thinking that it would be a great new years treat, I am horribly disappointed.

The bottle a cobalt blue was corked and wrapped, making for a nifty looking package. It is all downhill from there.

The aroma was pure soy sauce. The taste was a sweet soy sauce, and rancid.

I think I might try it as a sushi sauce. not the kind from an authentic restaurant but from the local grocery store deli. As apposed to a drain pour, I'm going to use it as a prank on friends to watch them squirm.

Jim Koch, you need to look at what happened to allow this product to bare your company logo, and fix it fast.

1.03/5  rDev -65%

Reviewed from notes. At the same time, not sure I really need them considering I wake from every one of my nightmares with this taste in my mouth.

Pours a black color that is emboldened by plenty of chunks, although I'll throw in half a point for the poor floaties, as it seemed in their misery they were almost trying to form a message. I failed to heed their request to refrain, instead diving into what I can only describe as Satan's bowels.

The nose is only nearly the worst thing ever, so maybe it'll be somewhat palatable. Not so, my friend. First reaction: gross. Second through ninetieth reactions: soy sauce. On 91 maybe some roasted smoke. Maybe I wish just wishing to taste something else. I'll never know, as I certainly won't be trying this ever again.

Mouthfeel is just disgusting. Thick and chunky soy sauce with the only thing even coming close to saving it is the fact that it is still quite boozy. I think a 1.0 on taste and mouthfeel is an unavoidable situation when the best thing to say is "at least the alcohol hides the flavors." Drinkability is so bad that I had trouble eating soy sauce for long periods after, for fear of reminding myself of this beer. Fail.

I assume Amyliz4 would give it an F as well, though she refused to complete the journey, abandoning our voyage after getting a whiff of this beast.

Samuel Adams Triple Bock from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)