Samuel Adams Triple Bock - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Triple BockSamuel Adams Triple Bock

poor

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

American Strong Ale |  17.50% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 01-10-1998

Though the little cobalt bottles still decorate the shelves today, this beer only had 3 vintage releases; 1994, 1995, and 1997. Brewed with two row malted barley, water, Noble hops and yeast, along with maple syrup, it was then aged several months in oak whiskey barrels before being bottled. At the time it was considered the world's strongest beer, and a precursor of today's Extreme Beers.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Triple Bock Alström Bros
3.5/5  rDev +19%

Thanks Crushinator. Incredible booziness and cognac-sherry aroma. Very dark brown, thick brown. No carbonation present. Worchester sauce, maple syrup, cognac, fig in the taste. Sweet and sour, with lots of malt and sweetness. Impossible to more than sip. (254 characters)

1997 vintage.

At approximately 14 years old since it was brewed, this is the oldest beer I have ever consumed. Split with my buddy to share in this experience.

Pours an opaque dark brown/black with no head whatsoever. There is visible sediment floating around in the beer after it's poured. Swirling the beer around the glass leaves murky soy sauce legs that drip back down into the beer. Smell is of soy sauce, teriyaki sauce, dark fruits, and dark chocolate. Strong alcohol aromas are coming off this one too. Oh. My. God. The taste of this beer makes me want to punch Jim Koch in the face. Horribly sour, salty, sweet soy sauce and teriyaki flavors are most apparent. Very hidden dark fruits and chocolate are masked by this unholy taste. It says this beer was brewed with maple syrup but that is nowhere to be found. Absolutely zero carbonation with a super thick and chewy/sticky mouthfeel. Overall, this is the single worst beer I have ever had hands down. I am not so sure if it's like this because it's 14 years or so old or if this is how it tasted fresh. Either way this was an experience I won't soon forget. (1,122 characters)

1.79/5  rDev -39.1%

A: Pours very thick with no head and a viscous black/dark brown color with tons of lacing

S: Smells like burnt prunes mixed with liquor, almost a burning sensation

T: Very syrupy, very port like but not enjoyable, honestly it tastes like a big stout left out overnight

M: Full and thick almost like wine

O: Awful, considering its from the mid 90's I guess I shouldn't be surprised. Two sips and a drain pour. (412 characters)

1.03/5  rDev -65%

Reviewed from notes. At the same time, not sure I really need them considering I wake from every one of my nightmares with this taste in my mouth.

Pours a black color that is emboldened by plenty of chunks, although I'll throw in half a point for the poor floaties, as it seemed in their misery they were almost trying to form a message. I failed to heed their request to refrain, instead diving into what I can only describe as Satan's bowels.

The nose is only nearly the worst thing ever, so maybe it'll be somewhat palatable. Not so, my friend. First reaction: gross. Second through ninetieth reactions: soy sauce. On 91 maybe some roasted smoke. Maybe I wish just wishing to taste something else. I'll never know, as I certainly won't be trying this ever again.

Mouthfeel is just disgusting. Thick and chunky soy sauce with the only thing even coming close to saving it is the fact that it is still quite boozy. I think a 1.0 on taste and mouthfeel is an unavoidable situation when the best thing to say is "at least the alcohol hides the flavors." Drinkability is so bad that I had trouble eating soy sauce for long periods after, for fear of reminding myself of this beer. Fail.

I assume Amyliz4 would give it an F as well, though she refused to complete the journey, abandoning our voyage after getting a whiff of this beast. (1,338 characters)

3.74/5  rDev +27.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

1997 Bottling

Appearance: Pours a dirty motor oil color that is a bit brownish at the edge; no head nor lacing, at this stage of the game

Smell: Where others detect soy sauce, I detect brandied prune, with maple syrup and dark chocolate elements as well; some alcohol is also noticeable

Taste: Prunes, dark chocolate and alcohol, in that order, appear on the front end, but by mid-palate, the flavor moves in a maple syrup and port direction that is a bit raw, unfortunately; after the swallow, the maple syrup dominates, along with a liqueur like element that is heavy in the alcohol

Mouthfeel: Thick and syrupy, with no carbonation

Drinkability: Having tasted Utopias, I view this as an antecedent brew; that it has lasted this long and is still drinkable is an accomplishment; still, there are some distractions from the ideal that appears in the aroma; glad I had a chance to sample this (897 characters)

3.55/5  rDev +20.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

very strange brew here, something of lore really, glad i got to have it, but not something i would recommend outside of a curious exploration. pours deep dark brown, dead flat, with massive chunks of cork floating around in it. i know others have commented soy sauce here, and i maybe get a little salty weird fermentation, but i also get a lot of layers of grainy goodness, wood, rich soil, and vanilla, although these are all sort of mixed together in a strange, thick, still liquid thats hotly alcoholic and hard to drink very much of. maple syrup is there too, but its mostly just sugar now. its something maybe better to cook with than drink in isolation, but i think it is a benchmark. this is one of the beers that began extreme brewing in the early 1990s, and its place in history in that context makes it special. the fact that its not drinking particularly well right now is almost an afterthought, although i found it to be silky smooth (save the cork chunks) and rather mellow for what it is. no need to drink it again anytime soon for me, but i will fondly remember the experience. dogfish head, brewdog, and others who do these ridiculous strong beers owe a tip of the cap to this one. (1,199 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +44.6%

One of the better beers that I have ever tried. Thanks to Ernie for sharing. Dark brown-rust in color. Little in the way of head retention or lacing--fine per style. Big-time legs on the side of the glass shows good alcohols and sugars. Big aromas of prunes, raisons, dates, nuts, chocolate and sherry. Flavors of those dark fruits show up front, along with port wine, soy sauce, brown sugar, and molassas to name a few. Big body and chewy texture coats the mouth and turns into a long lasting finish and aftertaste. It's a sipper--you won't want to drink it fast. (564 characters)

4.18/5  rDev +42.2%

So I'm basing this review off of two separate bottles of Triple Bock. The first time I had it was at my college graduation party in 2007. Not sure what the vintage year was on this bottle but it was unanimous that it was pretty terrible tasting.

The brew poured out as a clumpy dark brown color with no head at all. It was thick looking leaving a tinge of brown on the glass with every sip. The smell of the beer was extremely difficult to get past. The taste was very strange kind of like a ton of different things coming together and threw in some blood metallic flavors for good measure. Very strong and hard to drink. Rather upsetting.

About a year later I was at the Bethlehem Speakeasy and was brought a bottle of the 1995 vintage and was poured a glass by my waiter Zeke. I had told him about my past experience with this beer and he assured me that my thoughts would change this time around. I can't believe it but he was right.

The beer bad changed completely, the beer wasn't clumpy anymore, it poured out as a lighter shade of brown with red highlights. The smell was much more mellow with a touch of sweetness and a little earthy too. The taste was incredibly different now, the metallic flavor was gone and it was now a earthy salty flavor kind of like there was some soy sauce in there. The mouthfeel was slick and easy to drink. It blew my mind when comparing the 2 different vintages. I can't thank Zeke enough for letting try the 1995 because otherwise this beer was probably going to be rated as an F. (1,523 characters)

2.54/5  rDev -13.6%

Bottle (1997 vintage drank in 2007): Poured a deep black color beer with no head or lacing or even carbonation for that matter. Aroma of dark brown sugar with sweet malt is quite extreme. Alcohol was no discernable which is quite a feat at 17%. Taste is extremely sweet and definitely too sweet for my own taste buds. I understand the soy sauce commentary I read in previous ratings but more gear toward sweet then salty in his case. I can see this as something to sip but this is definitely not something I would drank very often. (531 characters)

3.62/5  rDev +23.1%

1997 vintage *generously* shared by Botham.

After hearing the horror stories, and catching a bad whiff from an oxidized bottle at a tasting, I vowed never to buy or drink one of these. However, my self-imposed ban was recently lifted when Botham most generously shared his last beer in the fridge... a Triple Bock.

The cork was intact, stained a brownish black, it emerged without a pop, thwup, or peep.

Into a snifter, it's a deep chestnut brown. Murky and opaque thankfully, to obscure the chunky yeast that was stirred and blended in each pour. No head or bubbles at all, yet there were legs on the side of the glass, leaving a sticky film. Peering into the "empty" bottle, the sides were black with sludge, a slick oily mess that nightmares are made of.

Aroma at first was cloying, but after a bit it became more pleasant. Chocolate, currants, and prunes. Later the glass smelled of port wood and sweet pipe tobacco. Way better than the last time I smelled this, when it left an indelible impression of evil.

Flavors were rich and sweet, it brought to mind Thomas Hardy's, but with more roast flavors than toffee. Maple was dominant also, along with chocolate, bitter walnut, and the dark fruits present in the aroma. It had a sticky, coating feel that became a bit much after a few sips. That slick coating lingered too long on the palate, prompting a rinse with water. Splitting the bottle 3-4 ways is a wise idea, as it's more liqueur than ale. (1,460 characters)

4.02/5  rDev +36.7%

1994 Vintage

A – Poured the thickest darkest liquid I have ever seen come out of a bottle. This looked and poured like molasses. So think, with no carbonation, no head and no lace what so ever. It was like almost a paste, definitely syrup like and just so dark, opaque and lifeless. I really was not sure what was going on with this one here, It really looked liked it meant business but I was not too sure I wanted any part of it.

S – Aroma was very robust, I was actually shocked at all of the subtle aromas I was picking up off of this one. First notes to hit the nose were of chocolate and maple syrup. A decent amount of licorice was to follow, and mixed in with it was some kinda burnt, or smoked old coffee grinds. There was also definitely a brandy like touch of alcohol to it. This was totally unmistakable and packed quite a punch in the overall flow. This was definitely not something to take lightly though and that was obvious from the very first sip.

T – Wow, you know what, at first I would have to classify this is really, totally putrid. It really was that bad when I took the first sip. As it warms up though it becomes, somewhat drinkable. I stress the somewhat because it really only was somewhat. Lots of complex flavors in here, and I am sure it has changed very much over the years, but none the less this one was still very complex in its overall profile. Lots of licorice and chocolate notes could be found throughout and were blended in nicely with a thick, maple syrup like flavor that brought and absolute ton of sugar to the table with it. Lots of alcohol, almost too much. It was just too big for me, the flavors were there if you searched for them, but it was really big and definitely hard to find much of them.

M – Hard to describe as the sips I was able to take were soo small that I really could not get a full grasp on them. There was no carbonation at all, and this had to be the thickest liquid I have ever drank. I mean it was almost sludge like going down the back of your throat. Not much in the way of a feel good brew would be the best way to put it.

D – None, and I mean that in the best possible way. There was absolutely nothing about this that would make you wanna drink any more of it. It was a novelty pure and simple and I would not try it again, actually I change that I would try it again, just would be hard to get myself to do it.

Overall I have actually had worse believe it or not. I will give it vredit as at least this had a lot of depth and profile to it and was definitely well crafted when first made. Now as far as what it has morphed into, who knows, It is still quite drinkable though, and again I have had much worse. If you can get your hands on one, try it for the novelty, it really is not that bad and I guess it falls into the category of one of those that you really have to try at least once. (2,894 characters)

1.93/5  rDev -34.4%

8.45oz bottle - I believe 1997 vintage

A - Poured out a thick black color with absolutely no head. It had a port-like appearance.

S - It smelled of cherry, chocolate and currants. Also, very present alcohol. It really smelled candy-like.

T - It had a very sweet, syrupy flavor. The chocolate flavor was muted by the fruit and alcohol. Plus, soy sauce.

M - It is soft and smooth. A very heavy beer.

D - I couldn't finish it. It reminded me of a brandy or strong desert wine. Even 8.45oz was too much. Plus, the soy sauce flavor had me craving rice. (552 characters)

2.45/5  rDev -16.7%

Known as fecal bock to my friends this beer is one I had high hopes for but was seriously disapointed in.Pours a pitch black with almost no head to speak of,aroma is a little nutty and raisiny with some sweet alcohol notes as well.Taste is harsh I have had a few beers higher in alcohol than this that were easier to drink its way to syrupy and medicinal just unpleasant.Well have the bottle tried it twice three years ago and now and I wont try it again. (455 characters)

3.05/5  rDev +3.7%

Ah, Triple Bock, the bane of every beer drinker's existence.

A: The pour starts things off quite well, with a fairly viscous black pour that is, of course, completely flat.

S: I was surprised by how pleasant the nose was. Plenty of chocolate and roasted malt along with a hint of vanilla. There are also some nice fruit characteristics such as raisins, plums, and cherries.

T: This is where things go down hill fast. This is a mild disaster of sweetness along with a definite sourness and pungent soy sauce flavor. There is a hint of some of the goodness present in the nose, but those notes are very much overpowered.

M: The body is medium and with the lack of carbonation, the beer is very slick on the tongue.

D: I had no expectations going in to this, and after smelling the beer, plenty of high hopes. But I was not surprised when I took a sip and found this to be just awful. Glad I got to try it. (908 characters)

3.43/5  rDev +16.7%

1997 vintage.

Appearance: Pours a flat, viscous, almost filthy dark brown body with no head present or even visible carbonation.

Smell: Aroma smelling of chocolate, black Sharpie markers, teriyaki marinade, and a reduction of molasses and Grade 'B' maple syrup.

Taste: A blend of chicken marinade, ink, sherry, and chocolate, with a huge, growing prune-like fruitiness that's all at once satisfying and horrific. Tastes of soil-covered molasses and timeworn maple. Warming finish. I will say it's relatively smooth for 18% ABV.

Mouthfeel: Medium-plus body. Zero carbonation. Sticky mouthfeel.

Drinkability: Yeah, there are some good aspects to this beer and just as many bad aspects, but once the alcohol kicks in you don't really mind it so much. (752 characters)

2.68/5  rDev -8.8%

Served in a Chicago Bears shaker pint glass.

A 1997 vintage bottle of Triple Bock caps off Swill Fest 2010. It pours a bleak black brown topped by absolutely no head whatsoever. Even better, a strange mass of mud followed, as though the bottle had given birth to some melted Eraserhead-like abomination. The nose is a mixture of solvents, soy sauce, and maple syrup, with a dash of chocolate syrup for good measure. The taste is of a morbid stir-fry made of Deng Xiaoping's entrails, cocoa, molasses, maple syrup, and isopropyl alcohol. Ugh, it hurts a bit, not as much as the Chelada, but it's still pretty damn painful, baby. As it's taken down, a slug trail remains. A chocolate one. The body is a solid heavy-medium, with nearly no carbonation and a thick, syrupy feel. Wow, how awesome and terrible. (805 characters)

1.24/5  rDev -57.8%

This was the final bottle cracked open at the tasting hosted by finewinemike. Thanks to Arenbeer for bringing this, even if it was just as a joke. I feel like this is a bit of a craft beer rite of passage.

Appearance: This beer pours black with no head at all.

Smell: Extremely sweet. Reminds me of a mixture of Hershey's syrup with soy sauce and tomatoes.

Taste: Extreme sweetness shows up here too. Lots of molasses, soy sauce and some smoke. This is like a bbq sauce gone extremely wrong.

Mouthfeel: It's never good when you have to tell someone they have beer stuck in their teeth. Thick and syrupy with no carbonation and a dry finish. Quite chunky.

Overall: It took us a while to realize the bottle is blue and it just looked brown due to the sediment caked on the glass. I'm glad I got to try this just to tell the story, but it was terrible. (854 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +69%

Wow! This beer is freakin' amazing. My last bottle from my '95 case.... ... :( This one is loaded with maple syrup and scortched sugar, but with less of the burnt and acidic edge that usually comes with that. There's a little bit of it in the finish, but it's really sweetish and bright upfront. There's also more graininess and caramel to the nose, although the dark black/red fruit and alcohol are there as well. And there's more coconut in the aroma too. And nuttiness and wood. I'm just blown away that each bottle can be so different. It's really amazing. Is it the amount of yeast? Is it the amount of oxygen that was transfered during bottling? I''m thinking that's it in this case. It got less oxygenation and thherefore it's less sherry-like. Or even the cork - this one came out full whereas the others broke-up. I don't know; I just know it's stunning! (863 characters)

2.11/5  rDev -28.2%

1997 release, poured from an 8.45oz bottle into a tulip glass.

A: The beer is a deep very dark brown color, with no head or lace, which is expected with beer of this age.

S: The aroma is of raisins, alcohol and caramelized malts.

T: The taste is very sweet up front with flavors of raisins, dark chocolate and caramel. There's very strong alcohol bite as you would expect from anything with 17.50% ABV. Any hops that would have been there died out a long time ago and this beer is all maltiness, fruit and alcohol. Each sip is like I'm taking a shot that tastes like fruity motor oil. The after-taste is very sweet.

M: Very viscous, almost oily and a little crisp, medium-to-heavy body, very little carbonation, finish is very sticky.

D: Not very tasty, this is the type of beer that can't be judged by your typical criteria when you're assessing its drinkability, so even as the type of slow-sipping beer that it was made to be, I really didn't find it that enjoyable at all. (981 characters)

2.3/5  rDev -21.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Thanks to Francois for cracking this during his cellar cleaning.

A thick syrupy sludge like pond scum dark ugly brown with chunks of vomit like creatures lurking in it, pour out slowly and dribbly with no head formation, and who could blame it, I'd be running for the hills too.

The nose is super sweet, if that's a way to put it, loaded with what could only be condensed molasses regurgitated by a zombie. It has this really weird dank fruit aroma, with dark raisins and plums, wow some actual normalcies. The nose adds some burnt bubblegum soy based... thing.

The taste is more of the same, bringing lots of sweetness that makes my taste buds jump right from my mouth and out the window. My glands are screaming in pain from the sweetness. The molasses thick lucrid sauce slowly drips over my tongue and down the back of my throat. Swallowing doesn't help as my throat can't even force it down faster. It slowly brings some dark fruits, candied and burnt dark fruits, with even a little smoke. The finish doesn't come, or I can't tell when I actually finished the initial taste and when the finish started, as the thick syrup layers over all the remaining taste buds.

The mouth is super rich, thick, syrupy, and just doesn't go down easy. WIth absolutely no carbonation it doesn't give a break either. It's almost like liquid play-doh.

At least the beer was tolerable, but drinkability is even more non-existent than the carbonation. I can't even begin to explain how hard it is to swallow, let alone go back for another sip. Remember that scene in "The Lion King" where Simba has to eat a squishy bug like worm thing for the first time, it's just like that! (1,666 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +44.6%

Decanted cool from the cobalt blue corked 8.45oz bottle w/ gold leaf for labeling into a snifter. Picked this up at Thirsty's, this was from the '97 bottling.

A - A molasses brown/coffee colored liquid w/ absolutely no head, there is a bit of brussel's lace that clings to the snifter when swirled. Subtle black cherry hues around the edges and some yeast ? particles that dropped out at the bottom which was apparent on the sides of the bottle as well.

S - Nutty and vinous notes, warm port-like aromas w/ a deep woody and fig like aroma. Subtle mocha and roasted/salty notes w/ a hint of maple and herbal notes in the aroma.

M - Vicscous, syrupy and boozy w/ malt wood and bourbon w/ absolutely no effervessence and an almost chocolatey creamy toffee texture.

T - Deep maple, dry flavors w/ bitter sweet cocoa and notes of syrupy sweet malt flavors. A caramel corn nutty quality w/ deep salt tinges all the way to the end of the taste. Currant and fig notes hit the sides of the cheeks w/ intense sugary potency and concentrated fruit notes. Very rich and rum-like cherry soaked essence.

D - Wonderfully drinkable for such a unique and intense brew. Long time in the bottle 10+ years and hardly suffered from what I remember from tasting in years prior. Very little oxidation and rather surprising example of a strong ale w/ American stamp w/ maple and champagne yeast to give it extra juice not for the timid, better than average dirnkability - great for what it is.

S - (1,479 characters)

1.7/5  rDev -42.2%

God, why?

First had: bottle, presented to me at Stone Soup '13. Not sure what vintage this was, but I don't think it really matters.

So Lauren handed me this glass, filled with a viscous liquid, with a color I can best describe as what you get when you mix all the Easter egg food colorings together in a cup of water. There was no head and no visible carbonation. "What is it?" I asked. "Just drink it," she said. The aroma was, I admit, not too offensive, there was quite a bit of soy sauce going on, heavy with booze, and some hints of concentrated prune juice. Upon the first sip, and in the first few milliseconds of the first sip, it wasn't too bad. I got more of the soy sauce and prune juice I detected in the nose, mainly, and there was even some sweet chocolate malts in there. But much like the Big Bang, after those first fleeting milliseconds, the universe really began to take form, and I got a huge hit of naphtha/rocketfuel spiked with what I imagine prison-radiator-fermented fruit juice must taste like. Gnarly stuff to say the least. At this point its identity was revealed to me. I took another sip for novelty's sake, but that was about all I could handle. And at this point, this beer--or whatever it has since 1997 evolved into--is pretty much a novelty and nothing else, so take caution if and when you attempt to drink any. (1,350 characters)

2.41/5  rDev -18%

8.45 fl oz blue glass bottle with plastic cap over a cork served into an EKU 28 snifter in me gaff in high altitude Castle Rock, Colorado. Reviewed live. 1994 vintage. Expectations are as low as can be.

Cork split in half upon opening.

A: Pours a soy sauce black with interesting vibrance. No head whatsoever.

Sm: Soy sauce and vinegar. I want to stick rice in this.

T: Caramelized soy sauce. No alcohol comes through in the taste. Yeah, that's about it. The aftertaste lingers for a long time. Some vinegar.

Mf: Motor oil. Viscous as shit. Smooth and wet otherwise. Complements the soy sauce feel.

Dr: Hides its ABV very well. I don't really like it, but I can see where it was good 10 years ago. It's far from awful.

D+ (735 characters)

2.46/5  rDev -16.3%

Thanks to dschuster03 for generously sharing the 1997 vintage. Served in a Craft Day Afternoon taster glass.

A - Pours still, with a used motor oil appearance. A brown film coats the sides of the glass, and about 10% of the bottle was filled with some sort of congealed solid. One of the few beers that is actually frightening.

S - I'm surprised by the hatred and vitriol towards this beer, as I find the aroma reveals this beers relationship to Utopias. There's copious amounts of maple, chocolate, vanilla, caramel, and a bit of soy sauce and tobacco. Whatever oxidation has occurred has been pretty complementary, with some port-like fruity flavors rounding things out. After 15 years in the bottle the alcohol presence is quite reasonable. It's a bit saccharine and cloying, but isn't offensive.

T - The taste is intensely sweet - copious amounts of caramel, maple, vanilla, brown sugar, and some oak and bourbon character as well. As it hits the palate it's somewhat enjoyable, but the the cloying and sickeningly sweet finish is nearly gag-inducing. It's like drinking straight molasses, but with some alcohol burn as it goes down.

M - Still, viscous, smooth, medium-full body, with surprisingly well-hidden alcohol. There's only a moderate warming on the back of the throat. It's mouth-coating and oily and lingers, which would be enjoyable if it were delicious and not sickeningly sweet.

D - I got through an ounce or two before pouring out the rest. Still, it was better than I expected, to the point that I'd consider trying the other vintages. Other than the horrific, near-vomitous finish there's the makings of an interesting beer here, and I can see how this set the stage for Millennium and Utopias. (1,719 characters)

3.34/5  rDev +13.6%

1997 bottle, purchased September 2003, consumed almost immediately thereafter...
Appearance: dark as sin, pitch black, with not a bit of foam above, not a touch of froth, just random brown bubbles about the sides.
Aroma: the alcohol wafts into the atmosphere and is quite powerful before the glass comes anywhere near my nose, and from this distance I note: maple syrup, couch syrup, port wine, licorice.
So, bring it closer!...ooooh! Wicked! An intense mommajamma! It can't be a beer! Sherry + Jagermeisters+ Meyer's, shaken well, with prune juice, lit on fire! ...then dipped in turpentine! Smells like the sweeter extracts of the sulphur pits of Hell!
So, now to taste: no, this is really pushing it! Goes beyond anything recognized as beer, anywhere...no, it's closer to port, and should be consumed as such. Thick on the tongue at first, then mild, still with a sweet, treacly coating that trickles down the throat. Definitely not a bock, not even a doppel, nothing like one, and I want to call it a barleywine, but it's not that, either...
Slowly, the booze kicks in...Raisiny, datish, leaving a lace on the glass like you'd find in a wortchestershire bottle...I'd like to see them do a commercial for this one! "Always a good idea!" YEAH, RIGHT!
...Boom! Boom! Oh, oh, it's starting to HAp-pen... (1,309 characters)

Samuel Adams Triple Bock from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)