Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Samuel Adams Triple Bock - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Triple BockSamuel Adams Triple Bock

poor

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

American Strong Ale |  17.50% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 01-10-1998

Though the little cobalt bottles still decorate the shelves today, this beer only had 3 vintage releases; 1994, 1995, and 1997. Brewed with two row malted barley, water, Noble hops and yeast, along with maple syrup, it was then aged several months in oak whiskey barrels before being bottled. At the time it was considered the world's strongest beer, and a precursor of today's Extreme Beers.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Triple Bock Alström Bros
3.99/5  rDev +35.7%

11.2oz bottle of the 1997 bottling. Thanks for opening this one up, Regen. Poured into a Cigar City snifter today, 4/23/2014.

A- Dark brown body, almost black. Minimal 1/4 finger tan head with no retention whatsoever, no lacing at all.

S- Complex nose that consists of port, maple, bourbon, oxidized sherry, and a ton of sugary brown malt. This is a very sweet beer, but its one that reminds me a lot of Utopias, but without the solvent alcohol booze.

F- Oxidized sherry, port, maple syrup, bourbon, sweet brown sugar, some caramel, toffee, molasses, slightly cloying sugar, oak. Complex, reminds me of a mix of Utopias and Black Tuesday to borrow the description of another BA that we drank this with.

M- Medium body, on the thinner side but certainly not lacking flavour. It has a lot of punch to the palate. I didn't think it was 18%, but then again I shouldn't be too surprised given the reputation of Sam Adams' high gravity beers.

O- Not bad at all, an unique drinking experience indeed. Not something I'd seek out again, but this is a beer you'll like if you enjoy sweetness and a bit of cloying flavours in a beer. (1,128 characters)

4.58/5  rDev +55.8%

Beautiful taste sweet at first finishing up with molasses finish that lingerers leaving you with a taste for more. Before you know it its all gone leaving you wanting more of this hard to find beer desirable with every sip. Cant believe the taste of a beer that has been aged for 17 years I believe got better with age leaving a distinct taste in your mouth that only a particular connoisseur can appreciate (407 characters)

4.87/5  rDev +65.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

1994 Vintage poured into a Hill Farmstead taster glass. The cork fell apart in the bottle. Poured with a strainer and there are tiny bits of cork lining my glass.

A: Pours a deep black and nothing else. No head present and not even a ring of suds around the top. Looks like soy sauce in my glass. I actually really like soy sauce, though.

S: Smells of strong booze and maple. The maple syrup smell really dominates the nose of this. Some dark fruits, oak and vanilla round out the scent of this beer.

T: Upon first taste the booze seems like it's going to destroy my pallet. However upon further tasting it turns into a real treat. The maple syrup is the star of this show. Dark fruits, oak and vanilla goodness come through to give this brew some serious depth. I have never tasted anything like this. There is also no booze whatsoever on the taste which is amazing considering the 18% ABV on this.

M: This brew is amazingly thick. Thicker than any barrel-aged stout that I've ever tasted. The alcohol is non-existent. A chewy feeling is left in my mouth which actually makes me want to take another sip. Just awesome.

Overall: This was perhaps the most intimidating beer that I've ever had. When the cork fell apart upon first opening, I thought that it would be the beginning of the end. Then when there were tiny cork pieces in the glass I thought this would be something that I would immediately drain pour among first sip. I didn't even refrigerate this, I just grabbed it right out of the cellar and poured it. The smell also yielded a little caution, but once I tasted it all those worries went right out the window. The taste is one of the most complex beer I've ever had. The maple syrup paired with the dark fruits and oak make this such a well rounded beer. I am actually honored to be able to have tried this, but more honored and surprised that I actually got a good bottle. Hopefully the 1995 bottle is just as good. (1,937 characters)

3.41/5  rDev +16%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Review is of a 1997 bottle, first time drinking this beer since it's release in 94, when I enjoyed it a lot. Nearly 17 years later let's see what I think.

The first sign of trouble is the total explosion of the cork when I try to open this. Fortunately a corkscrew finishes the job cleanly and no boys of cork sully the beer itself. I pour somewhat aggressively but cannot muster a head whatsoever; the beer is totally still and without lacing. Can't say I'm surprised. The beer also lacks any chunky matter which I consider a major coup at this point.

The aroma is very intense, syrupy maple, raisins, burnt something or other, a definite umami quality referenced by another reviewer. A dark forest floor mushroom truffle soy aspect is lurking at the edges. The flavor is almost overshadowed by the massively syrupy mouthfeel, a heavy, coating viscous body that clings to the tongue. Immense sweetness that finishes with a lightly burning fusel alcohol note. The umami thing is there but less persistent than expected or suggested by the aroma; there is a very vague sense of soy sauce but I don't find it to be all that prominent. The take away for me is over the top sugary sweetness, maple, burnt sugar, raisins and prunes, fusel alcohol, with subtler notes of soaked leaves and forest floor; dirt and funguses and stuff like that. Weird.

As stated before this is a heavy weight syrup fest. Sticks to the mouth for a long time, coating the lips and tongue. What a weird ass beer but a revolutionary one that should be acknowledged for its influence on the big barrel aged beers of the present. That being said if you have one these I would suggest sharing it with two or thee other people; finishing the bottle alone is a bit of a chore.

Jeez it's hard to fill in the numerical ratings for this one. It's
Pitch black and has no head or lacing but also doesn't have any detritus. Aroma and taste are both complex and heavy and not without appealing aspects. Mouthfeel is one of the most memorably hefty in the nearly 2000 beers I've tried.

The more I think about it, the BA who said this reminded of cheap Madeira is pretty much right on target if you want to cut to the chase. (2,186 characters)

1.41/5  rDev -52%

Yes, it's true! If someone would have told me that I would have had the chance to try the legendary "worst craft offering ever" (SA Triple Bock) and the infamously "worst macro offering ever" (Bud Chelada) in the same night, I would have died of glee. Turns out that, in fact, that DID indeed happen about a month ago. Someone brought a '97 vintage of the dreaded Triple Bock, and I celebrated later at a friend's by opening the Chelada beer. But, this is about Triple Bock, which allegedly makes your skin decay and makes puppies choke on their own drool. Poured out of a 12oz corked bottle into a tulip glass. I had the misfortune to do the honors, for everyone, pouring and all.

And it's no surprise, because holy hell is this a syrupy, thickened mess of a beer. Pours a black color that is extremely terrifying, as if you're staring into the the deep, dark swirling void of pure macabre and alienation. A mahogany, oily looking head coats the top, and leaves behind a sticky, highly disgusting look on the side of the glass that is a charming combination of molasses and coagulated blood. My hands were sticky for the remainder of the night with the few drops that slipped out of the glass into my hand. The entire cobalt bottle was stained black with each pour. I went around the table pouring this, looking at each spectator in the eye and observing the trembling passage of fear and despair as they would look into the treacle in the glass with knocked knees and progressively whitening skin. Indeed, the stark contrast of the dark concoction with the paling skins in the room seemed to portray the gray line of us crossing into the unknown in partaking with this beer, with no turning back as we approached our individual glasses to each of our noses.

Some have likened the aroma of Triple Bock to many horrifically exotic items that you should never consume, but to me, it simply smells like cheap Madeira - and that's pretty much it. Heavily caramelized, with lots of oxidation, with big umami notes of mushrooms, soy sauce, salt, as well as rotten plums. This is the catch with Triple Bock - it convinces you that it is a source of pure evil in its appearance, but then as you approach your face closer to the liquid, it materializes into a friendly jester of a spirit, telling you that it is okay to imbibe it, everything will be alright, and that the two of you are going to make fast friends. It's one thing to tap into the forces of evil, but to actually make *friends* with it?? For a moment we were a bit reassured, and the gray line tightened up ever closer. Together, we all took a sip.

This is perhaps the only instance in consuming a beer where I can, with full certainty, claim that the devil made me drink this. I don't even *believe* in the devil, but I do believe in the cold, disheveling apex that is the horribleness of SA Triple Bock. One sip, and terrible things begin to happen. Beer turns into soy sauce - soy sauce turns into oil - oil turns into blood - and the blood that descends burns, and latches itself to the sides of the tongue and the inner areas of the esophagus, without fully letting go. Dumping the rest of the beer in a bucket, we realized that it was too late - the demented liquid had already created a symbiotic, Succubus-like connection within our body, and indeed, had latched itself into the deep recesses of our very souls, forever changing us, and forever showing us the truth of what happens as soon as the gray line closes up upon us. Never would we drink beer the same way again, and never would we find something seemingly designed for imbibing that would perhaps be a better condiment for rice, bok choy, eggplant, and other Eastern varieties. Truly sinister and unforgiving.

It truly takes a horrible beer to appreciate even the most mediocre offerings on the market ever more. Indeed, the worst part about our tainted souls from exposure to Triple Bock is that we are now willing to present this to everyone that we can, with any chance we get. It doesn't only change your life by inflicting major pain on your psyche - its true evil is that it compels you to order something, *anything*, as your next beverage, perhaps as an effort to cleanse your palate of its malign profile, or perhaps as a way to forget you ever had the experience with as much cheap booze as you can get your hands on. Highly recommended in every sense of the word. (4,403 characters)

2.24/5  rDev -23.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.25

1997 vintage bottle opened at a bottle share. Sadly, I don't recall whom I should credit for this.

Bottle s cobalt blue, but stained an opaque black from the beer. The cork is stained black at the base, but intact.

A: pours an oily, thick, smooth black. Soy sauce or oil is not out of the question.

S: huge, strong, salty aroma. Aroma is soy sauce, molasses, and maple syrup. Even after the beer is long gone, the aroma of maple syrup persists. This is interesting, unique, and really something strong and special.

T/M: well, the mouthfeel is easier to address... Thick, coating, and so strong that I couldn't take a large enough sip to get much more than that. There is no carbonation. Taste is as strong as the aroma -- huge, salty, syrupy, oxidized (but honestly less than I expected) and strong. The salty and syrupy sweetness with a hint of oxidation override any other favors. The finish is an alcohol burn alongside a strong salty and almost acidic burn.

O: I would never drink this beer again, but then again I am glad to have tried it. It really was just such a ridiculous experience in the middle of a bottle share to try this. Is it iconically bad? Perhaps. But not in the way that most "bad" beers are awful... It really is unique. If you're looking to try this, consider it a novelty and try it with many others. (1,330 characters)

3.55/5  rDev +20.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

very strange brew here, something of lore really, glad i got to have it, but not something i would recommend outside of a curious exploration. pours deep dark brown, dead flat, with massive chunks of cork floating around in it. i know others have commented soy sauce here, and i maybe get a little salty weird fermentation, but i also get a lot of layers of grainy goodness, wood, rich soil, and vanilla, although these are all sort of mixed together in a strange, thick, still liquid thats hotly alcoholic and hard to drink very much of. maple syrup is there too, but its mostly just sugar now. its something maybe better to cook with than drink in isolation, but i think it is a benchmark. this is one of the beers that began extreme brewing in the early 1990s, and its place in history in that context makes it special. the fact that its not drinking particularly well right now is almost an afterthought, although i found it to be silky smooth (save the cork chunks) and rather mellow for what it is. no need to drink it again anytime soon for me, but i will fondly remember the experience. dogfish head, brewdog, and others who do these ridiculous strong beers owe a tip of the cap to this one. (1,199 characters)

3.61/5  rDev +22.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

A- Pours black, with some amber highlights around the top of the glass. No head to speak of. The body sticks to the side of the glass. The bottom inch of the bottle looks like old chunky chewing tobacco.

S- Oak, baker's chocolate, maple, rye bread, some sort of vegetable aroma as well.

T- Very sweet, with lots of the flavors described coming through. Lots of boozy whiskey, chocolate and maple, lots of bready flavors too. Sweet and dry and boozy.

M- Very thin and syrupy, not much of an alcohol bite. No carbonation to speak of.

O- It's not the horrible beer that others have indicated, but it's a little rough at this point. The chunky pieces at the bottom kind of made this on tough to try, but there are some complexities to it that I'm glad I got to try. (765 characters)

4.84/5  rDev +64.6%

Poured at a bottle share. Thank you Jim d.
Poured through a colander because the cork is falling through

A. Dense black opacity with no head. Black hole.

S. Port. Deep sherry fruity density

T. Wow. So complex. Dense sweet dark prune-y . Chocolate and port.

M. Thick. Just thick

O. I have to say that all the negativity has got to eIther be completely unfounded or due to poor conditioning. This beer is all that is flavor. (429 characters)

3.28/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

A poorly cared-for bottle (1994 vintage) poured to tasting glasses.

This bottle was lost and found a couple of times. Not treated well in the meantime. Cork was dry and basically disintegrated on opening. Very low expectations, but this beer surprised.

A - Dark brown, thick and viscous. Coats the glass like no beer I've seen before. Awesome legs. No head to speak of.

S - Rich and complex. Lots of dark fruit, especially prunes. Chocolate builds as the beer warms. Sweet alcohol throughout.

T - Very complex. Lots of prunes and figs, followed by sherry. Hints of caramel malt and toffee. Chocolate comes on late, and is followed by peanut butter. Somewhat odd, but it works for this beer. Very low hops, but the beer is not cloying,

M - Thick and viscous, coats the mouth. Alcohol warmth builds in the finish but is not hot. No carbonation.

O - I certainly wouldn't want to drink a lot of this, but that's not the point anyway. I wish I had stored this more carefully. It was good, but probably would have been better with better storage and maybe not sitting on it so long! (1,082 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +59.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

1994 Brew Reserve.

The small 8.45 blue bottle had been with Marcus and Bryony for years: not since 1994, but not far off: the bottle was opened with great trepidation on 10th September 2013, especially when the cork snapped in two before it came out, cork screw required.

I loved it: a rich, mellow tasting Chocolate Port with malts, can't think of a better description, sorry.

There were four of us to try it, luckily the ladies were not so keen, so Marcus and I had the Lions share.

This was the best beer I had during our 14 day 'Grand European Tour' and a lovely gesture by our hosts for the evening to open something that had sat for so long in their flat overlooking the Mosel. (688 characters)

3.98/5  rDev +35.4%

1994 bottle poured into tulip.

Expected this to be a drain pour with all the reviews around here.

I was very surprised and impressed with this one. On the nose, it reminded me of Utopias a little bit with it's plum/port smell. No sourness, not oxidized at all. Simply delicious.

I'm guessing that cellaring on this one really affects the outcome since this one was tasty. (374 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +44.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I recalled drinking Triple Bock back in the 90's when it was originally made, and I recall it being very unique and tough to find. It was definitely a big deal when it came out because nobody had done anything like this before. Sam Adams was way ahead of the curve with this beer.

So when I saw it being sold around 2009, I thought they were making it again. I paid the price and then realized this batch was from the mid-90's. Then I checked out reviews on the web and saw lots of hate coming down on this pioneer beer. At this point, I figured they were getting rid of it for a good reason, and forgot about it in my cellar.

Until last night. I broke the bottle out, chilled it up a bit and brought it to a tasting with a couple of people who understand this beer's history and age. Even before opening it, we could see intense scaling on the bottle and a sediment line at the top. We popped open the cork and were immediately blown away by the smell of rich tobacco coming out of the blue bottle. The smell on the cork promised a unique tasting experience.

Pouring it into three cups, the beer appeared jet black, syrupy and full of sediment. One pour produced some small, black chunks of material.

The aroma of tobacco persisted, but in the tasting cups, the beer now emitted other essences, like cherry or sherry wine.

For me, the taste was dominated by the essence of tobacco, but as it passed over the tongue, the ripe cherries, sherry and eventually dark raisin came out. Mouthfeel was thick and syrupy, but the sediment wasn't noticeable. The booze was totally masked by the flavors. As we worked through the bottle, we got more sediment chunks, what possibly could be sugar scale (that looked like cigar wrapper) and fine particles. The lower in the bottle we got, the richer and more intense the taste of the beer got. All of us agreed that this was a distant ancestor of Utopias. By the end of the bottle, the intensity of the beer was almost too much.

I'm not sure I would buy another bottle of this if I saw it, but I'm very glad that I got to try this ancient, extreme beer ancestor. Triple Bock is a historical beer, and it will go down as one of the craziest beers I've ever tried. (2,205 characters)

A major want for years. Huge thanks to Frank for hooking me up with this one.

A: Gross looking, to say the least. Dense and thick with huge chunks staying behind in the bottle. I swirled the liquid in the glass just to see what I was dealing with. Bad idea. It left the glass stained with thick brown streaks.

S: Sickeningly sweet. Smells like if you were to blend soy sauce and a raisin puree together and then leave the concoction in a hot car for a day and a half. Molasses and booze in there as well.

T: Slightly sour plum with a blast of sweetness so strong, it was nauseating. Prickly booze, fermented raisin and raisin cake. As it's in your mouth it sends these weird little zingers out that taste like pure MSG. A sour, lingering liquid raisin finish. I'd say it lives up to the hype. Easily the worst beer I've ever come across. (842 characters)

3.49/5  rDev +18.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

97 Sam Adams Triple Bock-

The beast, the legend, the nectar of black holes. Completely still, smells of raisins and red man tobacco, soy, slight brandy alcohol. Tastes similar to the nose, real juicy, the still melding of bright flavors coats the mouth like motor oil from a big-block in the desert that is two years over due for a change. Taste is almost salty to a point. It is almost like a prune cordial with espresso Grenache. Decadent. (442 characters)

3.32/5  rDev +12.9%

1998 Vintage coutesy of Sam Adams representative. Served in a sample cup.

A - Deep brown to black with a red hint at the crown. No carbonation. Very viscous.

S - Hint of soy sauce quickly passes to a chocolate, maple and alcohol.

T - Strong tart cherry flavor, deep cocoa. Wine-like tannins. Highly oxidized but seems to have held up quite well relative to expectations. Very woody with lots of residual sweetness (indicating lack of infection - itself impressive.) Off-putting salty impression noted.

M - Oily slick, among the heaviest beers I've ever had. Very warming.

OI - Clearly not an improvement over the original iteration, it is still impressive how long this has survived without being a complete soy sauce bomb or a bottle of vinegar. Glad to have tried it again.

Note that I rated this relative to expectations, rather than outright. (854 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +46.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

1994 that my brother in law discovered in a house that he recently purchased. Turns out that was a great discovery for me since he gave it to me. With the mixed reviews that I saw on here I couldn't wait to try this and I must have got a well stored bottle because this could be the best sipper that I've ever had.
A-dark copper with no carbonation and a flat almost black calmness to it.
S-beautiful port wine smell with a nice smoky sweetness.
T-wow,this just hit my palate and amazing,complex,prunes and some alcohol with a very nice syrup sweetness.
M-smooth,with the same flat calmness that it has in appearance.
O-Amazing beer with more character and overall insane complexities than any beer I've ever had. I'm so glad that my brother in law passed this on to me and thankful to whomever got forced out of that house a couple years ago and left this well stored gem. (878 characters)

2.21/5  rDev -24.8%

Bottle bought for probably too much. 1994 vintage.

A: Falls out of the bottle like the nozzle is doing its best to expunge the material. Zero head and zero carbonation. Cork broke in the bottle, which is highly encouraging.

N: Nose is rich chocolate, soy sauce, prune and raisin. The oxidation you'd expect is here. Still has an alcohol presence, and honestly this, isn't the worst thing. It smells a lot like Dark Lord.

T: Mint, chocolate, prune, and enough oxidation to rust off a hubcap. Dark sherry and peanuts. Alcohol is muted by now. Port notes. Not the worst thing in the world, though there's too many discombobulated flavors to be good.

M: Placid and slimy. Not good.

O: Seeing as this was the 1994 vintage, I knew there was a chance this could be fairly decent. I was kind of hoping for a travesty rather than something merely bad and unpalatable because a travesty would be memorable and this really wasn't. That said, it was a great joy to me to watch peoples' faces shrivel when they tried this unpleasant concoction. I gather this was one of the 'good' bottles. (1,083 characters)

4.86/5  rDev +65.3%

Small blue bottle of the 1994 vintage, shared very kindly by our brewing lecturer with his class after a long brew day. My guess is that this was a particularly well-stored bottle, because this was still a very excellent beer when I drank it.

Pours dark and viscous, but, unsurprisingly given it was 19 years old, completely dead, with no head, no bubbling, no retention. Yeah. Pretty much nothing going on here. The colour is in fact a slight reddish brown hue, as seen when the glass is tilted. It looks thick and dangerous, but certainly dead.

Nose is gorgeous, despite of, or perhaps because of its age. Sweet/savoury combinations of kecap manis, smoked fish, dusty, oxidised chocolate mingle with the true characters of dusky oak and maple syrup, which still smells sweet after all this time. It all blends into a magnificent wholeness, a huge fragrant intensity still coiled up and dormant. It's insane.

Flavour is amazing. Big characters of cherry chocolate, stacks of booze, and a rich, juicy sweetness that tastes almost exactly like chocolate mudcake. More booze, sultana booze, kirsch soaked soft doughy cookies, booze, sweetness, booze. Holy moly. What an intense and insane experience. This is so complex and lovely. So rich and full even after 19 years sitting in its little blue bottle. Wow.

Feel is smooth and thick. This doesn't need any damn carbonation—this is perfectly happy as it is.

Overall, this is insane. It's big, boozy and rich, but with structure that stands the test of time. This was truly phenomenal stuff, and I'm not ashamed to say that this was one of the best beers I've ever had the pleasure to taste. (1,645 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +39.5%

Poured from little 8oz blue bottle into schlafly tulip glass to celebrate the last brew/last night in our place. Purchased at DeCicco's Pelham; no paper flag remains, so I dont know what vintage this is. Cork was so dried out it broke on opening and had to push it in...
Pours a viscous oily black...no head and thick/oily.
I can see the confusion of why many people say it smells like soy sauce...it kind of does; but more dried fruit and sweet chocolate than soy.
Taste of dried fruit, some slight heat and chocolate; but is somewhat salty and vineous. Its actually quite drinkable and one of the more intersting flavors ive had in a while.
Strange that it has such low reviews. Really cool brew and glad to have had.
Crazy to think this was brewed when I was in high school!...maybe even middle school.
With something that old, its really hard to pass up trying...dont let the low reviews scare you on this. Id like to have again. (937 characters)

2.86/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

1997 vintage, huge thanks to Kevin for graciously opening this one - definitely something I thought I'd never get to try. And based on the reviews, not so sure I would ever want to, haha. Triple Bock pours black as night with dark brown edges; thick as hell - the bottle is left with a sludgy residue all over the sides and at the bottom. No head forms and there are maybe four carbonation bubbles visible after an aggressive, down-the-center pour. To be expected, for an ale this strong and this old - 16 years.

The aroma was poignant as could be... So goddamn strong it almost knocks you on your ass as you go in to take a whiff. Heavy, heavy, sugary molasses, rich brown sugar, bittersweet chocolate, graham crackers... Lots of stuff to try and wrap your head around, here. I pick up a bunch of licorice, and it's weird because not only am I getting black licorice, but I'm smelling red licorice, too - something I've never gotten from a beer before. The alcohol isn't really contained well, this thing smells pretty hot right out of the gate. Despite being on the border of almost "too strong", the aroma really isn't that bad. Lots of sweetness and a hefty dose of alcoholic heat, but lots of clashing flavors; rich, powerful, prominent.

I take a sip and I immediately begin to feel my heart pump faster, my teeth shiver, and my lungs almost collapse. This is the sweetest fucking beer on the face of the earth. I know I've said that before (I'm sure) and there are tons and TONS of "sweet" beers out there... Dark Lord, Darkness, Chocolate Rain, etc.... It's not even close. This is sweeter than all of those beers combined. It would be like melting an extra pound of sugar into a half a pound of molasses. I really can't overstate the sweetness here; if you manage to get your hands on this beer, make sure you take an extra shot of insulin before ingesting. It may just save your life.

In all seriousness, though, the beer has lots and lots of flavors going on, despite the coma-inducing sweetness. Tons of dark fruits; dates and prunes being the heaviest with some raisins and figs in the back. Syrupy licorice, brown sugar, molasses, chocolate, sugar, sugar, and more sugar. The alcohol is pretty hot, but the extremely sweet nature of the beer does a lot to cut down that heat. I've read through many reviews for this and people often describe it as "soy sauce", which absolutely makes no sense to me. Soy sauce is salty. This beer isn't salty. At all. It's sweet. Over-the-top sweet. Cavity-causing sweet. Nothing like soy sauce. As already mentioned, carbonation was nonexistent, mouth feel was thick, oily, chewy, and heavy all around. The aftertaste was a collaboration of molasses and dark fruit with an adhering boozy sweetness.

I'm super excited I got to try this and it made for a fun experience. Lots of heavy and robust aromas and flavors, but in reality - this beer was far too sweet for me to really enjoy it all the way through. I will say, however, that it maybe isn't quite as bad as most people make it out to be. It may depend on how old it is and what vintage you have, too. I also got no soy sauce or saltiness from it as many people have said. I need to go brush my teeth now. (3,211 characters)

1.42/5  rDev -51.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

I have had this many, many times and, to be honest, it always reminds me of motor oil. Retired? Praise the beer gods. In fact a few of my many samplings was at an annual barleywine bash where they are aged bottles: intentionally. Seems to get worse. Bering a lager, (Bock) that's NOT surprising, but you would think the complexity would help. Syrupy, rotted figs, almost greasy on the palate... what's to like? Sam usually does better than this, and maybe this was a grand adventure on the way to Utopia (haven't tried), but I view it like the Toyota Crown was to the Toyota Cressida... having to do it wrong to get it right: eventually.. Higher alcohols quite evident. As a beer judge I'd have to be careful what I say and try to NOT go below 13.
The aroma was where the rotted fig sense started, going on into the taste. Slippery, slick: YUCK. (846 characters)

1.7/5  rDev -42.2%

God, why?

First had: bottle, presented to me at Stone Soup '13. Not sure what vintage this was, but I don't think it really matters.

So Lauren handed me this glass, filled with a viscous liquid, with a color I can best describe as what you get when you mix all the Easter egg food colorings together in a cup of water. There was no head and no visible carbonation. "What is it?" I asked. "Just drink it," she said. The aroma was, I admit, not too offensive, there was quite a bit of soy sauce going on, heavy with booze, and some hints of concentrated prune juice. Upon the first sip, and in the first few milliseconds of the first sip, it wasn't too bad. I got more of the soy sauce and prune juice I detected in the nose, mainly, and there was even some sweet chocolate malts in there. But much like the Big Bang, after those first fleeting milliseconds, the universe really began to take form, and I got a huge hit of naphtha/rocketfuel spiked with what I imagine prison-radiator-fermented fruit juice must taste like. Gnarly stuff to say the least. At this point its identity was revealed to me. I took another sip for novelty's sake, but that was about all I could handle. And at this point, this beer--or whatever it has since 1997 evolved into--is pretty much a novelty and nothing else, so take caution if and when you attempt to drink any. (1,350 characters)

1.12/5  rDev -61.9%

As a connoisseur of all fine things of the fermented beverage variety as well one who is possessed by a morbid fascination for all things vile and terrible this was, in many ways, an inevitability. So, it is with some minor trepidation now that I descend into the abode of the reviled, shunned and warned against...

This beer has been described as with a flavor of "soy sauce left out in the sun" a texture akin to "manatee feces" and an aroma simply described as "do not smell this." And yet others have cried that this beer is misjudged, unappreciated, misunderstood even, a project that was beyond the grasp of the average beer geek.

It is for these, and many others reasons that shall remain with myself and myself alone that I now uncork the Sam Adams Triple Bock...

Appearance-This beer pours with a sticky slick consistency and were it not for the very slight bubbles given by my vigorous pour I would have assumed the liquid still. It almost looks like an extremely dark Burgundy wine to be honest. I wouldn't necessarily call the appearance unappealing.

Aroma-Every time I smell this I involuntarily wretch and my nostrils burn; sour notes of stale soy sauce assails the palette in full brutal force followed by reinforcements of pure alcohol heat. If I search I can pick up some very faint notes of dark fruit but that could simply be my imagination searching for something, anything, to redeem this atrocious smell. The more I inhale the more the fusel notes of alcohol dominate to the point where it is actively giving me a headache.

Taste-Before I even begin to describe the taste to you we must consider the psychology behind the construction of such a catastrophic brew by a famed and renown brewery. One shudders to think that someone may have actually *wanted* to do this, perhaps a cruel and disgruntled employee deemed to play the ultimate prank on the beer drinking populace. Or perhaps the psychotic imagining of a brewer going through symptoms of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder(P.T.S.D). Or, an even more terrible thought, someone thought this was a good idea. The latter-most fills me with dread as I imagine what other vile concoction may be brewing in their sick and twisted imagination.

This tastes like a sour soy sauce flavored medicinal cough syrup that has been spiked with MadDog2020, then left out in the sun to grow sour and flat. I dare you dear reader, I dare you to finish a bottle of this.

Mouthfeel-Thick, incredibly thick and syrupy, again alot like a sauce and works in perfect vile tandem with the rest of the brew to ENSURE that every corner of your mouth is coated in the above-described taste. If the intention of this beer was to cause pain and discomfort to the drinker then this mouthfeel is beyond perfect, insidiously so.

Drinkability-HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

In closing, my friends, and I do call you, dear reader; my friend. I recommend you drink this beer, this beer is like attaining reverse-nirvana it is truly so vile and, if sentient, hate-filled that the experience cannot fully be explained and contains a level of beer enlightenment unattainable through any other method. In the words of Frederich Nietzsche "That which does not kill you only makes you stronger" this beer is those words distilled, or fermented rather, into liquid form. (3,306 characters)

2.41/5  rDev -18%

8.45 fl oz blue glass bottle with plastic cap over a cork served into an EKU 28 snifter in me gaff in high altitude Castle Rock, Colorado. Reviewed live. 1994 vintage. Expectations are as low as can be.

Cork split in half upon opening.

A: Pours a soy sauce black with interesting vibrance. No head whatsoever.

Sm: Soy sauce and vinegar. I want to stick rice in this.

T: Caramelized soy sauce. No alcohol comes through in the taste. Yeah, that's about it. The aftertaste lingers for a long time. Some vinegar.

Mf: Motor oil. Viscous as shit. Smooth and wet otherwise. Complements the soy sauce feel.

Dr: Hides its ABV very well. I don't really like it, but I can see where it was good 10 years ago. It's far from awful.

D+ (735 characters)

Samuel Adams Triple Bock from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)