Samuel Adams Triple Bock - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Triple BockSamuel Adams Triple Bock

poor

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

American Strong Ale |  17.50% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 01-10-1998

Though the little cobalt bottles still decorate the shelves today, this beer only had 3 vintage releases; 1994, 1995, and 1997. Brewed with two row malted barley, water, Noble hops and yeast, along with maple syrup, it was then aged several months in oak whiskey barrels before being bottled. At the time it was considered the world's strongest beer, and a precursor of today's Extreme Beers.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Triple Bock Alström Bros
3.72/5  rDev +26.5%

1995 vintage, courtesy of a great Ratebeerian, just to set a precedent!
A: Pitch black, thick, syrupy, with no head at all.
S: Smell is very full and rich, with dark gourmet chocolate, bitter chocolate, cocoa, notes of cherries and sherry, slightly roasted notes (almond). Alcohol is present but very well incorporated.
T: Taste is also very full with a lot of chocolate, molasses and a light sourness on the attack (notes of cherries and raspberries). Becomes more and more syrupy as it warms, a bit salty with very much soya sauce, over-flooding and lining all the palate. Quite sweet at the same time. Little booze given the ABV.
M: Mouthfeel is syrupy, sticky. Completely flat and barely drinkable actually.
O: Very hard to drink beer. Still, the nose hold very well, and the first sips are quite enjoyable. Definitely a bottle to share, even though it's only 25cl. (869 characters)

1.33/5  rDev -54.8%

8.45 oz. bottle poured into a snifter. 1997 vintage.

Appearance - Pours a black, glass staining, chunky, and viscous syrup. Looks like shards of something became dislodged during the pour.

Smell - Boozy soy sauce. Some dark caramel beer comes through, but you can smell the soy sauce from a few feet away.

Taste - And it's truly terrible. Sweet and tangy. Boozy. Teriyaki. I keep expecting salt. God it's tough to drink.

Mouthfeel - No carbonation. Thick and viscous. Incredibly difficult to drink. A boozy mess.

Overall - I always wondered how bad this could be. Now I know. Very. Very. Bad. (597 characters)

1.26/5  rDev -57.1%

Bottle shared by colonelforbin. 1997 vintage. Thanks Mike. I think. Pours a mahogany with no head and no lacing. Leaves a film and some legs on the glass when swirled. The aroma is soy sauce, big alcohol, and caramel. Quite rich. The taste is quite sweet with lots of soy sauce and caramel. There is quite a bit of alcohol, but it is not as prominent as in the nose. The finish is rich with a bit of bitterness. Full bodied with no carbonation. This is quite bad. There is tons of soy sauce and it is way too sweet. There is also quite a bit of alcohol. Looking at the film left on bottle afterwards makes me a bit concerned about what just went into my body. (659 characters)

3.62/5  rDev +23.1%

250ml bottle 17,5% Abv.
Served chilled in an over sized wine glass.
1995 Vintage.

Thanks to Futura123 for this long time want.

Appearance: Sam Adams Triple Bock gloops out of the bottle, pitch black and sludgy. The beer is completely flat and looks like used motor oil. A swirl coats the glass in a thick brown residue that fades to heavy alcohol legs.

Smell: Mmmm, this actually smells pretty damn good! There is a ton of soya sauce, along side dark chocolate, bovril, dark treacle, brown sugar, dry dog food,old wood, some dirty oxidized notes, leather, fruit cake and burned rubber. For 17,5% there is surprisingly little booze in the nose.

Taste: Sadly the flavour is far more oxidized (dirty, wet cardboard notes) than the nose and fairly unpleasant in this regard. Other notes include: Molasses, soya sauce, dark treacle, bovril, dark fruits and old wood. As with the nose, there is very little booze for 17%.

Mouthfeel: Thick, oily, sticky and completely flat - just what I like!

Overall: For all the hate that this beer gets, it is actually pretty good. The flavour is badly oxidized, but I think it must have been pretty good in its day. (1,159 characters)

3.82/5  rDev +29.9%

Ok first of all to be able to drink this beer two things you need to make sure. First is that it was properly stored, if it was not it will pour like chocolate milk as I had one bottle that did that. Second get a wine filter and run the beer through filter prior to drinking. I have only had the 2007 vintage

A- My first bottle would have rated this a 1 but my second bottle which was properly stored a 3 it pours extremely dark and thick almost like syrup no head or lacing noticable

S- Extreme smells of vanilla and heavy oak some people say soy sauce and with some of my bottles I have noticed that but not with all of them

T- First thing with this beer it must be served fairly cold, the warmer it gets yes the more flavors but once you hit a certain point it becomes to hard to drink. Strong hints of oak, chocolate and vanilla a must try but you have to take small sips to truly appreciate it almost like drinking a fine cognac

M- Very smooth lingering flavors but the finish is definately that of a high gravity beer

O- Overall if your a beer nut like me it is a must try, but be forwarned if the bottle was not properly taken care of it will ruin your experience I have two more bottles and im saving them for my wedding day and another special occasion in the near future. Dont go off of the reviews on here while its a strong in your face brew if you truly appreciate beer you have to give this brew a shot (1,423 characters)

1.11/5  rDev -62.2%

1995 vintage. Split 3 ways, drank maybe half of my portion.

A- Pours a murky dark brown with no lacing or head.

S- Soy sauce

T- Soy sauce, molasses. some alcohol still remains.

M- Full body and low carbonation. Alcohol is still fairly apparent for being 17 years old.

O- Umm, what can I say? Age did not do this beer any favors! (333 characters)

1.21/5  rDev -58.8%

I shared this beast at the Star Wars tasting. 1997 vintage plit six ways. I would have preferred to split it 100 ways as to lessen the blow to my palate, but alas it wasn't meant to be. Corked nip bottle served in a plastic cup because I didn't want to ruin my glass. We strained this guy and unfortunately there was no sludge. What we got was all beer.

A: Pours a very dark black color with an oily, viscous sheen to it. Absolutely no head, foam or ring. Zero carbonation.

S: Rotten figs, stale chocolate, musty basement and dried out malts. Not terribly disgusting, but a far cry from palatable. The first few smells were the equivalent of water torture so I didn't have high hopes for this.

T: I almost vomitted upon first sip. Moldy bread with sweaty gym socks. A weird, sickly sweet aftertaste is there which might be the maple syrup? Minimal dark fruits with a dried out after taste of legit stomach bile.

M: I wrote down one word during my note taking and I'll leave it at that: HORRID

O: Nope. Never going to have again. Don't try it. Ever. (1,054 characters)

1.33/5  rDev -54.8%

1997 Vintage

A: The cork was difficult to pry out, but it didn't fall apart at all. The color of the beer is red or black, and it's very thin. There is absolutely no head, not even a hint that there was head at any point.

S: The smell is completely of soy sauce and salt. Molasses and booze probably coming out as well. Very sweet and salty.

T: Just, wow. Burnt, charred, molasses, fifteen year old maple syrup. The residual char sticks on the palate forever. All of these flavors just clash horribly to create a beer that I wouldn't recommend to anybody.

MF: Thin body, no carbonation, undrinkable.

O: If you honestly want to try this, knock yourself out. I sure won't be. One of the weirdest beers I have ever tried. (723 characters)

3.9/5  rDev +32.7%

A black syrup/soy sauce kind of liquid, no head, little lacing.

Heavily riped green cheese, cellar and moldy mortar, cork, soy sauce, the nose grows and expands in pleasure.

Starting very sweet, and continuing sweet. Dried plum desserts and raisins, some soy sauce, dark fruits.

No carbonation, extremely sticky, smooth and oily. A huge body.

It is an extreme beer, but not at all in a bad way. (398 characters)

3.2/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

8.45oz bottle poured into a snifter. 1997 vintage, received from a friend.

A: Pitch black and quite thick. No head or carbonation.
S: Pure molasses. A bit of coffee. Maybe a hint of brown sugar/maple.
T: Thick with mouth coating molasses and coffee notes. A bit of brown sugar. The finish is long, full of bitter coffee grounds.
M: Extremely thick, full-bodied and heavy. Like drinking a thin molasses, not entirely pleasant.
O: Unique and interesting for sure. Given I got this from a friend, I'm can't be 100% certain how it was stored though I think it was stored well. The cloying thickness & bitter finish are not pleasant & I ended up dumping about half the glass due to a gritty substance that filled the bottom of the glass. That being said, it certainly is a unique beer which I would be interested in trying at a younger stage if it is ever brewed again. (865 characters)

1.6/5  rDev -45.6%

Tried about 10 years ago....1997 version.
A - Do you drink motor oil? If so...this beer is for you. It literally glopped into the cup I poured it into. "Poured" heavy, slowly, and again, looked like oil left open for about 20 years. Not appetizing.
S - Against my better judgment, I decided to smell this liquid abomination in front of me. I was expecting sulfur, or something similar. And...it wasnt bad! Fruit? Overwhelming booze smell. Some sort of coffee? Not what i expected.
T - Dissapointing. Ugh. Like someone threw a fig and some coffee grounds into the mud and fried it. Disgusting. Very memorable though. Like being shot is memorable, I suppose.
M - Mud. Incredibly unpleasant. Did not want to chew my beer.
O - This was probably the worst beer experience I have ever had. Still worth trying for the novelty, I suppose. (831 characters)

2.61/5  rDev -11.2%

I tasted the 1995 vintage from a snifter.

This beer is so thick the light can barely shine through it. There's basically no head to it and when swirling it in the snifter, it coats the side of the glass like syrup.

It smells somewhat sweet and you can vaguely get some burnt sugar from the syrup in it. The booziness takes over at the end though and is overwhelming. It's pleasant enough but reminds you how strong this beer really is.

The taste of this beer is strange. There is definitely some sweetness to begin with but it quickly punches you with the alcohol content. You can almost get a bit of nuttiness in the middle there but then the aftertaste is almost like vinegar. And then like something charred accompanies the vinegar. After several sips I'm starting to get the soy sauce taste as mentioned in other reviews but it doesn't really take over, the burnt taste becomes more and more pronounced. It's all very interesting but the combination isn't pleasing. It's too many extremes and there's nothing really tying them together.

It feels like oil on your tongue. It's not too heavy and it glides really quickly across the palate. There is no carbonation to speak of but you don't really miss it. There's so much going on in the taste of this beer that you won't even notice.

Overall, this beer is very interesting and worth trying once, but I don't think I'll ever reach for it again. (1,402 characters)

2.92/5  rDev -0.7%

I decided to give in to curiosity and procured a bottle of this infamous beast, vintage '95, courtesy of DaveHack.

The cork nearly disintegrated -- I just barely managed to prevent all but a few small chunks from falling in the beer, and those were soon fished out with a fork. Poured into two large snifters to share.

A - Very dark brown that turns to amber at the edge of the meniscus. No head whatsoever, but as I swirl the glass it leaves a thin film that turns the room yellow. Very unusual, but it seems appropriate for a beer of this age and gravity.

S - I smelled it even before the cork broke -- super rich, dense, chocolatey sweetness. There's booze, but it blends with the richness quite well and prevents it from becoming cloying. More delicious than I was expecting, that's for sure.

T - Well, it doesn't live up to the smell. The chocolate is still there, but it's joined by an odd fruitiness, with a touch of vinegar (it's not very acidic, though), some umami that's reminiscent of soy sauce, and smokiness in the finish. There's no way I'll ever know, but I might have loved this at least ten years ago and I suspect that this 17-year-old beer is *gasp* over the hill.

M - Extremely thick and crazy silky, it leaves a film on everything it touches. Not even a suggestion of carbonation. Barely a hint of alcohol burn.

Overall, after smelling it I was almost expecting to love this beer. After tasting it, I'm not really a fan. I wish I had been more than six years old when this came out, because right now it tastes like a potentially great beer gone to seed. (1,582 characters)

1.79/5  rDev -39.1%

A: Pours very thick with no head and a viscous black/dark brown color with tons of lacing

S: Smells like burnt prunes mixed with liquor, almost a burning sensation

T: Very syrupy, very port like but not enjoyable, honestly it tastes like a big stout left out overnight

M: Full and thick almost like wine

O: Awful, considering its from the mid 90's I guess I shouldn't be surprised. Two sips and a drain pour. (412 characters)

Thanks Nils! Tiny blue bottle with a cork shared among 3 people. The cork has some sediment on it. Beer pours dark, viscous and still. Legs are seen upon swirling. Very complex: chocolate, caramel, figs, sherry/port like notes abound. Sweet but somewhat bitter/dark and balanced enough in small quantities. No carbonation, silky feel. Boozy and potent. Not nearly as bad as I was led to think. And I have had it twice.

4, 4, 4, 4, 4 (433 characters)

3.72/5  rDev +26.5%

1994 vintage. Cobalt blue bottle, room temperature into a tulip glass. I think a huge part of this beer is how the consumer goes about the actual act of getting it into the glass. For me it consisted of a slight twist of the cork. Instant breakage. The cork itself was really weak and moist. I played around with needle nose pliers for a few minutes but the cork eventually fell into the bottle. No big deal, I readied my coffee filter and slowly poured. I didn't get any large chunks. Well it turns out that the cork plugged up the neck allowing for the slime to stay back and syrupy ooze to flow past slowly. When I got most of the beer out I grabbed a brandy snifter and shook that bottle soy sauce style to get some chunky awesomeness out. The irony was not lost on me...

A - Tulip glass: Viscous black body with zero head and carbonation. A swirl produces some alcoholic legs and a bit of a lasting brown trail but no lacing to speak of. Snifter: Chunky black vile. A thick trail stains the sides of the glass and doesn't let go. Its like a glass of fermented mud. Did I mention that I spilled some and it stained my table?

S - Super roasty malts. Very deep and smoky. Its a very savory beer with hints of soy, Worcestershire sauce, oak and salted meat. There is just a hint of sweetness to make me believe this isn't just a condiment. Some darkly caramelized figs and maple syrup. Some alcohol on the finish. Super intense

T - Not that extreme, certainly less so than the nose. Salty soy sauce and oak predominantly. Each sip brings on a new slightly challenging but unique flavor. Maple syrup, molasses, figs, tobacco, rusty nails, dirt, chocolate and caramel. Complex and ever changing. Sweet and salty finish. Almost no noticeable alcohol. The beer is completely flat but thick and syrupy.

O - Despite all the negativity towards this beer, I like triple bock. I know the '94 and '95 vintages are supposed to be the best and '97 is rotten swamp ass, but I had a '97 a few months back and enjoyed it. I'm not ashamed to say that I am a triple bock lover! Its deep, complex, unique, and one hell of a sipper. Its amazing to think about how old this beer is and in my opinion its held up very well. Massive props to whoever properly stored it during its life. Gotta respect Sam Adams to have the audacity to brew a beer like this, when they did. (2,354 characters)

3.84/5  rDev +30.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Small bottle into snifter, we don't know the vintage.

A Black no carbonation
S Big marshmallow smells
T Complex, strange, sweet, cherry, port, soy sauce
M Thick, no carbonation
O I like this beer, would drink it again, it is strange and complex, I can understand some of the hate, but I also enjoy the beer. (308 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +41.2%

Wow, what a divided bunch of people on this beer!

Poured into a mini snifter.

A: Black as night with absolutely NO carbonation, head, or anything that resembles bubbles in any way, shape, or form.

S: It smells like I should dip a chinese dumpling in this thing. Totally a soy sauce-like brew and that salty, soybean scent is INTENSE!

T: Ahhh... the sugar hit the palate and provided a much needed cushion to that salty soy-sauce quality. It tasted like a mallow creme candy, grilled, dipped in soy sauce, and then coated with high grade sugar.

M: I actually got a tinge of carbonation here. Sure, it was nothing to write home about, but it provided a much needed pointer to me to let me know that this is actually a beer rather than a spirit.

O: Lots of people hate this one, but I actually think it's a great achievement in brewing. I understand that a lot of peeps just don't get it. (892 characters)

3.32/5  rDev +12.9%

1995 Brew Reserve. Packaged in blue bottle.

Appearance:
Black color with dark brown around the edge. No head. Looks like an old motor oil.

Aroma:
Molasses and whiskey like aroma. I could smell some hint of mint.

Taste:
Starts off sweet molasses up front, raisins, dried prunes, peppery, oak wood, little hint of fudge, dry cigar like aftertaste.

Body:
Fat and thick bodied, oily. No carbonation. Slight dryness in the palate. (430 characters)

4.04/5  rDev +37.4%

8.45 oz bottle (1994 Vintage) poured into a tulip glass.

Appearance-Black and tar-like with a hint of dark brown around the edges and some suspended sediment. Murky and totally impermeable to light. Serious legs on this one. Only the faintest trace of a head, though that is to be expected with this high of alcohol and 18 years out.

Aroma-Hot, fusel alcohols waft up to the nose, along with charred oak, tobacco, sweet blackstrap molasses, cigar, black currant, chocolate covered prunes and rum soaked raisins. Sherry/port-like oxidation notes are prevalent. Sweet toffee and caramel and light, peppery alcohol. This is intense and pretty awesome.

Flavor-Slightly less complex on the palate, but just as intense. Sweet raisin, plum, caramel, molasses, and toffee up front with an ashen, oaky, tabacco laden aftertaste. Dries up slightly, but is rather sweet as it finishes, and though there are some alcohol notes, it is impressively smooth for the high alcohol content. Aftertaste is caramelly and slightly ashen, with sherry-like oxidation flavors.

Mouthfeel-Thick on the palate, and without a trace of carbonation. Sweet, though never cloying. The alcohol is smooth on the palate, but quite hot in the mouthfeel, reminding you just how boozy this beer is.

I'm starting to think that perhaps the multitude of negative reviews of this beer are a product of poor storage conditions-properly stored, this beer is still pretty marvelous, even 18 years out. I don't think I'd age it much longer, but it's pretty good as it stands. (1,536 characters)

3.29/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 250 mL. corked and plastic wrapped bottle (1995 Vintage) into a snifter glass.

A vigorous pour yields not even the faintest resemblance of a head. The body is a almost perfectly black brown that refuses to let any light even think of passing through. The lack of head and high viscosity of the body permit no lacing to ever appear at any point during consumption.

This beer really does smell like soy sauce. Also of interest are notes of bourbon, licorice, and the darkest chocolate imaginable. This is one intimidating nose.

Dark and sweet, the first sip yields flavors of Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, dark chocolate, and melted brown sugar. Swallowing the beer releases a myriad of dried fruit flavors onto the palate, including plum and raisin. Quick to follow, more flavors of soy sauce are accompanied by flavors of molasses and blackberry brandy. As these flavors fade, a bit of creamy coffee and maple syrup become noticeable. This is definitely one complex brew that my palate simply cannot do justice.

This beer is as full bodied as they come with absolutely no carbonation. The body is thick and sticky yet smooth, resting on your tongue with serious weight but gliding through your mouth with ease. The carbonation is quite simply nonexistent. The mouthfeel is literally like syrup with an oil like character.

This beer is definitely not for everyone. The bold and super-sweet flavors will turn many away and the practically undrinkable body will scare the rest. But for those willing to look past these qualities and dig into a truly complex and fulfilling desert beer, the Samuel Adams Triple Bock would definitely be worth a try. (1,666 characters)

2.5/5  rDev -15%

8.45 oz bottle poured into a tasting glass. It poured a thick and syrupy looking black color with no head or carbonation noticeable. it did leave some brown, oily legs on the glass though.

The aroma shows some dark chocolate mixing with a boozy, soy sauce like flavor. It's very rich and boozy but not that bad for it's age. I got a little more of the barrel character and some leathery notes as it warmed

Taste is very sweet and boozy with a lot of sugary brown sugar and soy sauce flavors to it. I get a little dark chocolate and some barrel flavors in the finish. It's overly sweet though making it almost in drinkable.

Mouthfeel is very thick and slick with no carbonation. Overall it just wasn't a good beer at this point. Aroma wasn't that bad but the taste was more like a sugary, barrel aged soy sauce. interesting to try, but not very enjoyable. I've had worse though. (881 characters)

1.03/5  rDev -65%

Ok I bought this in 1994 when it was released. I was like "wow" a cork in a really cool bottle. Well let me tell you this beer lives up to the hype!

Pours like motor oil, smells like dog$*&! and lets not forget the taste....yup you guessed it more dog$*&!.

This is by far the worst beer I have ever had! funny thing is when I first bought it I tried to sip it out of the bottle, you know what I thought at that time? yup you guessed it again " did I just lick my dogs A#!"

Wanna have some fun? buy this Dog$*&! and share it with friends.

At one time this beer held the title of " Worlds strongest DOG$*&!"

Bottom Line: yup correct again DOG$*&! (651 characters)

2.54/5  rDev -13.6%

Huge thanks to IrishColonial for bringing this nifty guy. You're the man, Eric.

A. Pours a deep dark brown. Muddy at the top. No head or lacing, but some chunky, thick brown stuff coats the sides of the glass. These legs are kinda gross looking. The color of the beer itself though is good. Yay for color, boo for the shit stains it leaves on the side of the glass.

S. Surprisingly solid nose on this. The maple syrup on this was detectable across the room once the bottles was cracked. A good deal of vanilla and chocolate as well. Where it suffers is a leathery, soy sauce note creeps in on the back of the nose. Certainly not bad smelling though.

T. Maple syrup, raisin, vanilla, chocolate. Also booze, coffee grounds, leather, and something that tastes a little like raw vegetation. There are some good things here, but the awful things cover them up.

M. Horrid. Thick, syrupy, with lots of detectable sediment. Like drinking a milkshake.

O. There are a lot of good things and a lot of horrible things here. I could see this having been good when it was released. But age has not been good to this one. Leather, burnt coffee, soy sauce overwhelm and trigger the gag reflex. What you get is a pretty awful flavor and mouthfeel. Oh well. Still better than Idiots Drool (1,280 characters)

3.77/5  rDev +28.2%

Sample: 1 bottle vintage 1997

A: Pitch black, no internal carbonation, no head, more like a coffee liquor than a beer

S: Pure espresso, coffee grounds, sweetness (from maple syrup), very strong

T: Sweet, sour, acidic, bitter all at the same time. Almost like drinking the blackest coffee you can find. Maple syrup flavor apparent in the aftertaste, incredibly unique.

M: Very strange, almost ink-like, hard to drink honestly but interesting enough to make me keep sipping.

O: Certainly not for everyone, very intense but worth the experience; message for trades as I have a few of each vintage (598 characters)

Samuel Adams Triple Bock from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)