Microbrew Invitational

TICKETS: beeradvocate.com/micro/

Samuel Adams Triple Bock | Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

YOUR RATING = None |
poor

Samuel Adams Triple BockSamuel Adams Triple Bock

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States | website

Style: American Strong Ale

Though the little cobalt bottles still decorate the shelves today, this beer only had 3 vintage releases; 1994, 1995, and 1997. Brewed with two row malted barley, water, Noble hops and yeast, along with maple syrup, it was then aged several months in oak whiskey barrels before being bottled. At the time it was considered the world's strongest beer, and a precursor of today's Extreme Beers.

Added by Todd on 01-10-1998

Reviews: 648 | Ratings: 947
2.41/5  rDev -18%

8.45 fl oz blue glass bottle with plastic cap over a cork served into an EKU 28 snifter in me gaff in high altitude Castle Rock, Colorado. Reviewed live. 1994 vintage. Expectations are as low as can be.

Cork split in half upon opening.

A: Pours a soy sauce black with interesting vibrance. No head whatsoever.

Sm: Soy sauce and vinegar. I want to stick rice in this.

T: Caramelized soy sauce. No alcohol comes through in the taste. Yeah, that's about it. The aftertaste lingers for a long time. Some vinegar.

Mf: Motor oil. Viscous as shit. Smooth and wet otherwise. Complements the soy sauce feel.

Dr: Hides its ABV very well. I don't really like it, but I can see where it was good 10 years ago. It's far from awful.

D+

1.68/5  rDev -42.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Small bottle pours a flat brown color with the thickest, most evil legs I have ever seen on a beer. Port-esque...can you dig it?

Nose...not too bad, although soy sauce rules the realm...I know that is a common descriptor and I was skeptical myself, but SHIT man, I feel like I just drove through a Panda Express drive-thru and got a beef chop suey with egg fu yung!

This is....just...ugh, maybe licking on the bottom of a NY subway toilot lid? Good God, I split this with someone and I do not think I can even finish half a nip-bottle! In the words of Samir from Office Space…”Yes, this is horrible, this idea." Frank just drainpoured his...lets see if I can man up for the rest of mine. Ok...back to the beer; malt is thicker than molasses and tastes rich and evil...like the devil...damn, I cant describe the beer without going all demonic...fuck it. This beer sucks major ass and I believe there are evil spirits residing in this stained, cobalt blue bottle. Pandora's box?

4.3/5  rDev +46.3%

In 1994, my friend bought a case of SATB from my father, a beer distributor in NYC. The wholesale price was about $95. We shared one and found it to be very much like a port wine with a hot, alcoholic introduction. It was definitely a sipping beer. I specifically remember drinking at least one more on another occasion, although I’m sure there were others. Sometime later, my friend moved and the case of beer ended up at his parent’s house in the best of possible conditions: a cool dry basement. It sat there forgotten for a number of years. When his parents sold their house, my friend regained possession of the case, but it was again soon forgotten in his basement, without having tasted another bottle. Now in 2012, after a total of 18 years later, it has been rediscovered. The case had 12 bottles remaining. Only one leaked, caused by the box being on its side at some point for a little too long.

This July 4th weekend we decided it was time to try the Triple Bock again. Before we opened a bottle, we checked out the reviews of people that have tried it in the recent past. Regardless of the vintage, the reviews were mixed. Some were in high praise and others were disappointed. With the possibility of disaster in mind, we carefully tore open the seal. The cork turned slightly, but broke easily in two. The remaining piece was gently pushed into the beer, and we poured slowly into a red wine glass. A very small amount of sediment remained in the bottle and none got poured into the glass. The beer discolored the inside of the bottle with a haze that made the blue glass almost black, and it lost some volume.

I’m glad to report that this bottle of SATB has held up well. It smelled much as I remembered it. It also tasted as I remember it, with the exception of the strong alcoholic taste, a feature that can be found in a lot of the newer, high ABV beers. It had a slight hot finish, but not overwhelming. It was syrupy sweet but not cloying, and a tiny bit salty. The mouthfeel was a little thick. A number of the reviews I read that considered this beer favorably do a better job of describing the taste and aroma. I can only imagine that the bad reviews of this beer are due to poor handling of the bottles over so many years.

1.75/5  rDev -40.5%

8.45 oz bottle poured into a Samuel Adams Utopias glass.
17.5% ABV, No date making it the '97 Vintage, I believe.

I just turned 29. This beer is more than half my age.

A - The awesome Cobalt blue bottle scared me to no end when I poured as the tiny blue sliver at the top was the only blue part of the bottle, meaning sediment was caked on the inside of the glass. It pours black as night with molasses brown highlights, looking like 6,000 mile old motor-oil with absolutely no head whatsoever.

S - Triple Bock has hearty roasted malts in the background with an extremely boozy nose that burns off any nose hairs you may have had. Light oaky notes pull through the massive soy sauce aroma. Maple syrup still remains in tact, oddly enough. It doesn't smell great, but it also doesn't smell quite as bad as some people make it out to be.

T - Wow is that straight up sour soy sauce. Just a god-awful tasting. Two sips (one for mouthfeel) and I can't even possibly bring myself to have another. This is juts horrid.

M - With no carbonation to liven it up, this beer goes down like syrup and finishes with a rancid roasted bitter and sour bite.

O - In it's heyday, this beer really pushed the boundaries but at this point, these few sips were easily the worst beer I've ever had. After subjecting other poor people to it, we poured ours our and the remainder of the bottle...that released wave after wave of disgusting flakes and chunks into the sink. End.

Ok, I can say that I expected it to be wretched knowing it's too old, but I took the gamble knowing a few bottles from that vintage could have made it. The reason I took the gamble was to try the first real "extreme" beer. I'm glad I can say I've tried it anyway.

My true disappointment to this beer was the fact that I didn't have the foresight to have someone take pictures of everyone's faces after the fist sip. Especially mine. New avatar, perhaps?

3.87/5  rDev +31.6%

1997 Vintage
I purchase this bottle in Texas in 1997 and its moved with me at least three times, and was lost in a box and forgotten for a long period of time. Tonight this will be flat beer number two.
Pours a solid dark brown/inky black color with no head at all. Smells of raisins, prunes, plums, molasses, alcohol, brown sugar, cherries, maple syrup, vodka, vanilla, wood. There's a lot going on in the nose, and its not all bad like some of the other reviews elude to. The flavor is not quite what the aroma promised me. This is very sweet and syrupy up front with lots of brown sugar, molasses, and maple. I get a meatiness, if that's possible, midway through. Lots of fruit comes next with cherries, prunes, and plums, along with a bit of ash, chocolate and ethanol. The finish is a long lingering burnt sugar, caramel, molasses bitterness that sticks to the palette like oil. Thick viscous body with a thick syrupy mouthfeel, and zero carbonation. I had this fresh in 1997 and drain poured it, but my palette wasn't ready for it then. Tonight I enjoyed sipping on this for the better part of the night. I think that my bottle somehow fared better than some others because I have had samples of this recently that I didn't enjoy. I'm glad I saved a "good" bottle of this amazingly complex boundary stretching elixir.

1.12/5  rDev -61.9%

Poured into an E&J Cask & Cream glass on 9/17/12

1997 vintage

Shared by PDXHops

This could be easily the worst looking beer I've ever seen. There is no head. There is no lace. There are cork bits from the damn thing breaking and falling into the bottle. Even if I forgive all of this, it doesn't change the fact that this beer poured the nastiest hue of dark piss and jaundiced brown I've ever seen in a beer. It looks like old wall paper in the 1970's after decades of enjoying smoking cigarettes indoors. Tilting the glass leaves stained brown legs on the inside of the glass.

None of this speaks of the dark mass of putrid looking sludge at the bottom of the bottle that tried ever so diligently to creep into Jeff's glass. Perhaps I should be glad I took the first pour.

This smells like Dark Lord, only worse. There could, and I stress could, be perhaps something of a manageable chocolate notion at the very core. However, the aroma is entirely decimated by the strongest, most wretched bunch of smoked prunes and burnt molasses I've ever come across. It's disgustingly sweet. Alcohol singes at the nostrils after several torturous whiffs. Salty like soy sauce.

It is imperative to discuss the feel first. Even with a pour free of the slop at the bottom of the bottle, the feel is wretched - a sluggish, fattend body with no carbonation for support is burdened with invasive sugar and slick alcohol. It's the most coating feel I've come across. It clings to my lips and won't let go.

Keeping in mind the above vehicle, this tastes like smoked prunes sauteed in a reduction of prune juice concentrate, soy sauce, burnt chocolate and molasses scraped from the sides of the pan all filtered though tobacco leaves. This beer is so incredibly sugary it gives me the shivers each time I take a sip.

This is a vile, cloying mess of alcohol and sugars. This is the sort of thing that maintains an utmost level of treachery. I've never had a beer cause my body to have an adverse physical reaction from merely raising the glass to take a drink.

This is a case study in terrible beer. It is a required course; go get yourself one.

3.72/5  rDev +26.5%

1995 vintage, courtesy of a great Ratebeerian, just to set a precedent!
A: Pitch black, thick, syrupy, with no head at all.
S: Smell is very full and rich, with dark gourmet chocolate, bitter chocolate, cocoa, notes of cherries and sherry, slightly roasted notes (almond). Alcohol is present but very well incorporated.
T: Taste is also very full with a lot of chocolate, molasses and a light sourness on the attack (notes of cherries and raspberries). Becomes more and more syrupy as it warms, a bit salty with very much soya sauce, over-flooding and lining all the palate. Quite sweet at the same time. Little booze given the ABV.
M: Mouthfeel is syrupy, sticky. Completely flat and barely drinkable actually.
O: Very hard to drink beer. Still, the nose hold very well, and the first sips are quite enjoyable. Definitely a bottle to share, even though it's only 25cl.

1.33/5  rDev -54.8%

8.45 oz. bottle poured into a snifter. 1997 vintage.

Appearance - Pours a black, glass staining, chunky, and viscous syrup. Looks like shards of something became dislodged during the pour.

Smell - Boozy soy sauce. Some dark caramel beer comes through, but you can smell the soy sauce from a few feet away.

Taste - And it's truly terrible. Sweet and tangy. Boozy. Teriyaki. I keep expecting salt. God it's tough to drink.

Mouthfeel - No carbonation. Thick and viscous. Incredibly difficult to drink. A boozy mess.

Overall - I always wondered how bad this could be. Now I know. Very. Very. Bad.

1.26/5  rDev -57.1%

Bottle shared by colonelforbin. 1997 vintage. Thanks Mike. I think. Pours a mahogany with no head and no lacing. Leaves a film and some legs on the glass when swirled. The aroma is soy sauce, big alcohol, and caramel. Quite rich. The taste is quite sweet with lots of soy sauce and caramel. There is quite a bit of alcohol, but it is not as prominent as in the nose. The finish is rich with a bit of bitterness. Full bodied with no carbonation. This is quite bad. There is tons of soy sauce and it is way too sweet. There is also quite a bit of alcohol. Looking at the film left on bottle afterwards makes me a bit concerned about what just went into my body.

3.62/5  rDev +23.1%

250ml bottle 17,5% Abv.
Served chilled in an over sized wine glass.
1995 Vintage.

Thanks to Futura123 for this long time want.

Appearance: Sam Adams Triple Bock gloops out of the bottle, pitch black and sludgy. The beer is completely flat and looks like used motor oil. A swirl coats the glass in a thick brown residue that fades to heavy alcohol legs.

Smell: Mmmm, this actually smells pretty damn good! There is a ton of soya sauce, along side dark chocolate, bovril, dark treacle, brown sugar, dry dog food,old wood, some dirty oxidized notes, leather, fruit cake and burned rubber. For 17,5% there is surprisingly little booze in the nose.

Taste: Sadly the flavour is far more oxidized (dirty, wet cardboard notes) than the nose and fairly unpleasant in this regard. Other notes include: Molasses, soya sauce, dark treacle, bovril, dark fruits and old wood. As with the nose, there is very little booze for 17%.

Mouthfeel: Thick, oily, sticky and completely flat - just what I like!

Overall: For all the hate that this beer gets, it is actually pretty good. The flavour is badly oxidized, but I think it must have been pretty good in its day.

3.82/5  rDev +29.9%

Ok first of all to be able to drink this beer two things you need to make sure. First is that it was properly stored, if it was not it will pour like chocolate milk as I had one bottle that did that. Second get a wine filter and run the beer through filter prior to drinking. I have only had the 2007 vintage

A- My first bottle would have rated this a 1 but my second bottle which was properly stored a 3 it pours extremely dark and thick almost like syrup no head or lacing noticable

S- Extreme smells of vanilla and heavy oak some people say soy sauce and with some of my bottles I have noticed that but not with all of them

T- First thing with this beer it must be served fairly cold, the warmer it gets yes the more flavors but once you hit a certain point it becomes to hard to drink. Strong hints of oak, chocolate and vanilla a must try but you have to take small sips to truly appreciate it almost like drinking a fine cognac

M- Very smooth lingering flavors but the finish is definately that of a high gravity beer

O- Overall if your a beer nut like me it is a must try, but be forwarned if the bottle was not properly taken care of it will ruin your experience I have two more bottles and im saving them for my wedding day and another special occasion in the near future. Dont go off of the reviews on here while its a strong in your face brew if you truly appreciate beer you have to give this brew a shot

1.11/5  rDev -62.2%

1995 vintage. Split 3 ways, drank maybe half of my portion.

A- Pours a murky dark brown with no lacing or head.

S- Soy sauce

T- Soy sauce, molasses. some alcohol still remains.

M- Full body and low carbonation. Alcohol is still fairly apparent for being 17 years old.

O- Umm, what can I say? Age did not do this beer any favors!

1.21/5  rDev -58.8%

I shared this beast at the Star Wars tasting. 1997 vintage plit six ways. I would have preferred to split it 100 ways as to lessen the blow to my palate, but alas it wasn't meant to be. Corked nip bottle served in a plastic cup because I didn't want to ruin my glass. We strained this guy and unfortunately there was no sludge. What we got was all beer.

A: Pours a very dark black color with an oily, viscous sheen to it. Absolutely no head, foam or ring. Zero carbonation.

S: Rotten figs, stale chocolate, musty basement and dried out malts. Not terribly disgusting, but a far cry from palatable. The first few smells were the equivalent of water torture so I didn't have high hopes for this.

T: I almost vomitted upon first sip. Moldy bread with sweaty gym socks. A weird, sickly sweet aftertaste is there which might be the maple syrup? Minimal dark fruits with a dried out after taste of legit stomach bile.

M: I wrote down one word during my note taking and I'll leave it at that: HORRID

O: Nope. Never going to have again. Don't try it. Ever.

1.33/5  rDev -54.8%

1997 Vintage

A: The cork was difficult to pry out, but it didn't fall apart at all. The color of the beer is red or black, and it's very thin. There is absolutely no head, not even a hint that there was head at any point.

S: The smell is completely of soy sauce and salt. Molasses and booze probably coming out as well. Very sweet and salty.

T: Just, wow. Burnt, charred, molasses, fifteen year old maple syrup. The residual char sticks on the palate forever. All of these flavors just clash horribly to create a beer that I wouldn't recommend to anybody.

MF: Thin body, no carbonation, undrinkable.

O: If you honestly want to try this, knock yourself out. I sure won't be. One of the weirdest beers I have ever tried.

3.9/5  rDev +32.7%

A black syrup/soy sauce kind of liquid, no head, little lacing.

Heavily riped green cheese, cellar and moldy mortar, cork, soy sauce, the nose grows and expands in pleasure.

Starting very sweet, and continuing sweet. Dried plum desserts and raisins, some soy sauce, dark fruits.

No carbonation, extremely sticky, smooth and oily. A huge body.

It is an extreme beer, but not at all in a bad way.

3.2/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

8.45oz bottle poured into a snifter. 1997 vintage, received from a friend.

A: Pitch black and quite thick. No head or carbonation.
S: Pure molasses. A bit of coffee. Maybe a hint of brown sugar/maple.
T: Thick with mouth coating molasses and coffee notes. A bit of brown sugar. The finish is long, full of bitter coffee grounds.
M: Extremely thick, full-bodied and heavy. Like drinking a thin molasses, not entirely pleasant.
O: Unique and interesting for sure. Given I got this from a friend, I'm can't be 100% certain how it was stored though I think it was stored well. The cloying thickness & bitter finish are not pleasant & I ended up dumping about half the glass due to a gritty substance that filled the bottom of the glass. That being said, it certainly is a unique beer which I would be interested in trying at a younger stage if it is ever brewed again.

1.6/5  rDev -45.6%

Tried about 10 years ago....1997 version.
A - Do you drink motor oil? If so...this beer is for you. It literally glopped into the cup I poured it into. "Poured" heavy, slowly, and again, looked like oil left open for about 20 years. Not appetizing.
S - Against my better judgment, I decided to smell this liquid abomination in front of me. I was expecting sulfur, or something similar. And...it wasnt bad! Fruit? Overwhelming booze smell. Some sort of coffee? Not what i expected.
T - Dissapointing. Ugh. Like someone threw a fig and some coffee grounds into the mud and fried it. Disgusting. Very memorable though. Like being shot is memorable, I suppose.
M - Mud. Incredibly unpleasant. Did not want to chew my beer.
O - This was probably the worst beer experience I have ever had. Still worth trying for the novelty, I suppose.

2.61/5  rDev -11.2%

I tasted the 1995 vintage from a snifter.

This beer is so thick the light can barely shine through it. There's basically no head to it and when swirling it in the snifter, it coats the side of the glass like syrup.

It smells somewhat sweet and you can vaguely get some burnt sugar from the syrup in it. The booziness takes over at the end though and is overwhelming. It's pleasant enough but reminds you how strong this beer really is.

The taste of this beer is strange. There is definitely some sweetness to begin with but it quickly punches you with the alcohol content. You can almost get a bit of nuttiness in the middle there but then the aftertaste is almost like vinegar. And then like something charred accompanies the vinegar. After several sips I'm starting to get the soy sauce taste as mentioned in other reviews but it doesn't really take over, the burnt taste becomes more and more pronounced. It's all very interesting but the combination isn't pleasing. It's too many extremes and there's nothing really tying them together.

It feels like oil on your tongue. It's not too heavy and it glides really quickly across the palate. There is no carbonation to speak of but you don't really miss it. There's so much going on in the taste of this beer that you won't even notice.

Overall, this beer is very interesting and worth trying once, but I don't think I'll ever reach for it again.

2.92/5  rDev -0.7%

I decided to give in to curiosity and procured a bottle of this infamous beast, vintage '95, courtesy of DaveHack.

The cork nearly disintegrated -- I just barely managed to prevent all but a few small chunks from falling in the beer, and those were soon fished out with a fork. Poured into two large snifters to share.

A - Very dark brown that turns to amber at the edge of the meniscus. No head whatsoever, but as I swirl the glass it leaves a thin film that turns the room yellow. Very unusual, but it seems appropriate for a beer of this age and gravity.

S - I smelled it even before the cork broke -- super rich, dense, chocolatey sweetness. There's booze, but it blends with the richness quite well and prevents it from becoming cloying. More delicious than I was expecting, that's for sure.

T - Well, it doesn't live up to the smell. The chocolate is still there, but it's joined by an odd fruitiness, with a touch of vinegar (it's not very acidic, though), some umami that's reminiscent of soy sauce, and smokiness in the finish. There's no way I'll ever know, but I might have loved this at least ten years ago and I suspect that this 17-year-old beer is *gasp* over the hill.

M - Extremely thick and crazy silky, it leaves a film on everything it touches. Not even a suggestion of carbonation. Barely a hint of alcohol burn.

Overall, after smelling it I was almost expecting to love this beer. After tasting it, I'm not really a fan. I wish I had been more than six years old when this came out, because right now it tastes like a potentially great beer gone to seed.

1.79/5  rDev -39.1%

A: Pours very thick with no head and a viscous black/dark brown color with tons of lacing

S: Smells like burnt prunes mixed with liquor, almost a burning sensation

T: Very syrupy, very port like but not enjoyable, honestly it tastes like a big stout left out overnight

M: Full and thick almost like wine

O: Awful, considering its from the mid 90's I guess I shouldn't be surprised. Two sips and a drain pour.

Thanks Nils! Tiny blue bottle with a cork shared among 3 people. The cork has some sediment on it. Beer pours dark, viscous and still. Legs are seen upon swirling. Very complex: chocolate, caramel, figs, sherry/port like notes abound. Sweet but somewhat bitter/dark and balanced enough in small quantities. No carbonation, silky feel. Boozy and potent. Not nearly as bad as I was led to think. And I have had it twice.

4, 4, 4, 4, 4

3.72/5  rDev +26.5%

1994 vintage. Cobalt blue bottle, room temperature into a tulip glass. I think a huge part of this beer is how the consumer goes about the actual act of getting it into the glass. For me it consisted of a slight twist of the cork. Instant breakage. The cork itself was really weak and moist. I played around with needle nose pliers for a few minutes but the cork eventually fell into the bottle. No big deal, I readied my coffee filter and slowly poured. I didn't get any large chunks. Well it turns out that the cork plugged up the neck allowing for the slime to stay back and syrupy ooze to flow past slowly. When I got most of the beer out I grabbed a brandy snifter and shook that bottle soy sauce style to get some chunky awesomeness out. The irony was not lost on me...

A - Tulip glass: Viscous black body with zero head and carbonation. A swirl produces some alcoholic legs and a bit of a lasting brown trail but no lacing to speak of. Snifter: Chunky black vile. A thick trail stains the sides of the glass and doesn't let go. Its like a glass of fermented mud. Did I mention that I spilled some and it stained my table?

S - Super roasty malts. Very deep and smoky. Its a very savory beer with hints of soy, Worcestershire sauce, oak and salted meat. There is just a hint of sweetness to make me believe this isn't just a condiment. Some darkly caramelized figs and maple syrup. Some alcohol on the finish. Super intense

T - Not that extreme, certainly less so than the nose. Salty soy sauce and oak predominantly. Each sip brings on a new slightly challenging but unique flavor. Maple syrup, molasses, figs, tobacco, rusty nails, dirt, chocolate and caramel. Complex and ever changing. Sweet and salty finish. Almost no noticeable alcohol. The beer is completely flat but thick and syrupy.

O - Despite all the negativity towards this beer, I like triple bock. I know the '94 and '95 vintages are supposed to be the best and '97 is rotten swamp ass, but I had a '97 a few months back and enjoyed it. I'm not ashamed to say that I am a triple bock lover! Its deep, complex, unique, and one hell of a sipper. Its amazing to think about how old this beer is and in my opinion its held up very well. Massive props to whoever properly stored it during its life. Gotta respect Sam Adams to have the audacity to brew a beer like this, when they did.

3.84/5  rDev +30.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Small bottle into snifter, we don't know the vintage.

A Black no carbonation
S Big marshmallow smells
T Complex, strange, sweet, cherry, port, soy sauce
M Thick, no carbonation
O I like this beer, would drink it again, it is strange and complex, I can understand some of the hate, but I also enjoy the beer.

4.15/5  rDev +41.2%

Wow, what a divided bunch of people on this beer!

Poured into a mini snifter.

A: Black as night with absolutely NO carbonation, head, or anything that resembles bubbles in any way, shape, or form.

S: It smells like I should dip a chinese dumpling in this thing. Totally a soy sauce-like brew and that salty, soybean scent is INTENSE!

T: Ahhh... the sugar hit the palate and provided a much needed cushion to that salty soy-sauce quality. It tasted like a mallow creme candy, grilled, dipped in soy sauce, and then coated with high grade sugar.

M: I actually got a tinge of carbonation here. Sure, it was nothing to write home about, but it provided a much needed pointer to me to let me know that this is actually a beer rather than a spirit.

O: Lots of people hate this one, but I actually think it's a great achievement in brewing. I understand that a lot of peeps just don't get it.

3.32/5  rDev +12.9%

1995 Brew Reserve. Packaged in blue bottle.

Appearance:
Black color with dark brown around the edge. No head. Looks like an old motor oil.

Aroma:
Molasses and whiskey like aroma. I could smell some hint of mint.

Taste:
Starts off sweet molasses up front, raisins, dried prunes, peppery, oak wood, little hint of fudge, dry cigar like aftertaste.

Body:
Fat and thick bodied, oily. No carbonation. Slight dryness in the palate.

Samuel Adams Triple Bock from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)