Samuel Adams Triple Bock - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Triple BockSamuel Adams Triple Bock

poor

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

American Strong Ale |  17.50% ABV

Though the little cobalt bottles still decorate the shelves today, this beer only had 3 vintage releases; 1994, 1995, and 1997. Brewed with two row malted barley, water, Noble hops and yeast, along with maple syrup, it was then aged several months in oak whiskey barrels before being bottled. At the time it was considered the world's strongest beer, and a precursor of today's Extreme Beers.

(Beer added by: Todd on 01-10-1998)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Triple Bock Alström Bros

2.75/5  rDev -5.8%

1.76/5  rDev -39.7%

Shared this with BPK59 at his birthday party. A fun tick. This was 1995 vintage. Of course Ben broke the cork off and in to the bottle...hah!

A - Poured in to a small snifter a motor oil thick dark dark brown nearly black hue with some really incredible legs.

S - Aromas of sweeter malts, salty brine, soy sauce.

T - Taste is even worse than the nose. Loads of sticky sweet malts, salty sweet soy sauce. Ugh

M - Mouthfeel is heavy and syrupy

O - Overall this was a soy bomb. I guess this beer truly is russian roulette, as some bottles are incredible and others are just plain drain pour. Still, glad I got to try it!

4.25/5  rDev +45.5%

3.99/5  rDev +36.6%

11.2oz bottle of the 1997 bottling. Thanks for opening this one up, Regen. Poured into a Cigar City snifter today, 4/23/2014.

A- Dark brown body, almost black. Minimal 1/4 finger tan head with no retention whatsoever, no lacing at all.

S- Complex nose that consists of port, maple, bourbon, oxidized sherry, and a ton of sugary brown malt. This is a very sweet beer, but its one that reminds me a lot of Utopias, but without the solvent alcohol booze.

F- Oxidized sherry, port, maple syrup, bourbon, sweet brown sugar, some caramel, toffee, molasses, slightly cloying sugar, oak. Complex, reminds me of a mix of Utopias and Black Tuesday to borrow the description of another BA that we drank this with.

M- Medium body, on the thinner side but certainly not lacking flavour. It has a lot of punch to the palate. I didn't think it was 18%, but then again I shouldn't be too surprised given the reputation of Sam Adams' high gravity beers.

O- Not bad at all, an unique drinking experience indeed. Not something I'd seek out again, but this is a beer you'll like if you enjoy sweetness and a bit of cloying flavours in a beer.

1.75/5  rDev -40.1%

4.59/5  rDev +57.2%

Beautiful taste sweet at first finishing up with molasses finish that lingerers leaving you with a taste for more. Before you know it its all gone leaving you wanting more of this hard to find beer desirable with every sip. Cant believe the taste of a beer that has been aged for 17 years I believe got better with age leaving a distinct taste in your mouth that only a particular connoisseur can appreciate

2.5/5  rDev -14.4%

4.88/5  rDev +67.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

1994 Vintage poured into a Hill Farmstead taster glass. The cork fell apart in the bottle. Poured with a strainer and there are tiny bits of cork lining my glass.

A: Pours a deep black and nothing else. No head present and not even a ring of suds around the top. Looks like soy sauce in my glass. I actually really like soy sauce, though.

S: Smells of strong booze and maple. The maple syrup smell really dominates the nose of this. Some dark fruits, oak and vanilla round out the scent of this beer.

T: Upon first taste the booze seems like it's going to destroy my pallet. However upon further tasting it turns into a real treat. The maple syrup is the star of this show. Dark fruits, oak and vanilla goodness come through to give this brew some serious depth. I have never tasted anything like this. There is also no booze whatsoever on the taste which is amazing considering the 18% ABV on this.

M: This brew is amazingly thick. Thicker than any barrel-aged stout that I've ever tasted. The alcohol is non-existent. A chewy feeling is left in my mouth which actually makes me want to take another sip. Just awesome.

Overall: This was perhaps the most intimidating beer that I've ever had. When the cork fell apart upon first opening, I thought that it would be the beginning of the end. Then when there were tiny cork pieces in the glass I thought this would be something that I would immediately drain pour among first sip. I didn't even refrigerate this, I just grabbed it right out of the cellar and poured it. The smell also yielded a little caution, but once I tasted it all those worries went right out the window. The taste is one of the most complex beer I've ever had. The maple syrup paired with the dark fruits and oak make this such a well rounded beer. I am actually honored to be able to have tried this, but more honored and surprised that I actually got a good bottle. Hopefully the 1995 bottle is just as good.

2.5/5  rDev -14.4%

Samuel Adams Triple Bock from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)