2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Samuel Adams Triple Bock - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Triple BockSamuel Adams Triple Bock

poor

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

American Strong Ale |  17.50% ABV

Though the little cobalt bottles still decorate the shelves today, this beer only had 3 vintage releases; 1994, 1995, and 1997. Brewed with two row malted barley, water, Noble hops and yeast, along with maple syrup, it was then aged several months in oak whiskey barrels before being bottled. At the time it was considered the world's strongest beer, and a precursor of today's Extreme Beers.

(Beer added by: Todd on 01-10-1998)
View: Beers (117) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Triple Bock Alström Bros
Ratings: 821 | Reviews: 620 | Show All Ratings:
aracauna

Georgia

2.17/5  rDev -25.2%

I'll start off by saying that this is horrible, horrible stuff. That being said, it does have some compelling complexity that makes me wish I liked it. Pours basically black (turns a flat brown around the edges in direct light). Definitely has a high viscosity -- it pours in an oily way and when you tilt the glass it leaves a brown film behind. Completely still so there's no head. The aroma is whiskey and chocolate chip cookies, heavy on the semi-sweet or black chocolate chips. I'm not getting a whole lot of the infamous soy sauce aroma. The flavor is sickeningly sweet with a little oak wood and butterscotch added to the stuff in the aroma. I haven't finished the glass yet (it's taking me forever) and it's quite possible this will end up being one of my few dumpers.

06-12-2003 22:50:18 | More by aracauna
Popsinc

Ontario (Canada)

3.8/5  rDev +31%

A super dark, purple pour with no head whatsoever. The nose jumps out at you and hits you with sweet syrupy notes and ripe grapes. The mouthfeel is undoubtley smooth, like a port or sherry. The taste was full of port-like qualities, in fact, if i didn't know better, i would think this was a port. Very sweet with hints of rich, dark berries and a thick, syrupy quality that was actually quite nice. The alcohol kick on the finish was noticeable and warming. This would be a perfect after dinner drink. (alot of sediment at the bottom of my glass which wasn't very appetizing.)

I really enjoy a good port so maybe my judgemtn is swayed by this Triple Bock.

06-11-2003 08:59:23 | More by Popsinc
francisweizen

Arizona

4.8/5  rDev +65.5%

Notes: 1994 Vintage/Corked blue cobalt glass bottle. An exceptional beer in a league of it's own. This beer poured a very thick and opaque looking blood-red, brown-ish black colour with absolutely no carbonation what-so-ever. The aromas were of young cognac, fine brandy, tobacco, wood, molasses, maple, sugar, yeast, dark-roasted malts, and alcohol. The taste is of alcohol, maple, molasses, sugar, yeast, and more. The mouthfeel is super thick, creamy, and boozy. The drinkability? This is definately a 'sipping' beer but it is great for a special ocassion or in place of hard liquor. 1 bottle can easily last you 3 or 4 days or be split amongst a larger group of friends. One tip: DO NOT serve this beer too cold! Store it @ cellar temp and drink it @ cellar temp. This is where TB is at its best, imho.

I also have notes on the 1995 and 1997 vintages. I will add them to this review, when I find them!
-F

06-02-2003 12:55:47 | More by francisweizen
kunzbrew

4.1/5  rDev +41.4%

I want to first thank my buddy Steve for trading me a lawn mower and snow blower for the case of 1997 Triple Bock.

The strong brew pours a rich dark black color with no head. As I swirl the glass a dark oil film is left along the side of the glass. The smell of maple syrup and strong alcohol pound the nose. Cherry notes are also noticed.

This is a sipping brew, it is hard to take big swigs with out being drunk within a matter of minutes. Cherry flavors fills the palatte along with a maple and dark brown sugar are also present.

The full bodied brew is very nice for a cold winter New England night. Take it slow do not drink this bad boy to fast or you will end up ass over tea kettles.

Cheers

04-07-2003 17:00:39 | More by kunzbrew
GeoffRizzo

3.65/5  rDev +25.9%

Vintage 1995. Pours a very deep brown, bordering black, but the brown is highlighted, no head or carbonation. The cork pops off nicely and has some residue stuck to it, as does the side of the bottle. Resembles cough syrup or a motor oil in texture. Initial aroma of alcohol, which is detected far from the glass and bottle, also some notes of maple syrup and oak. The tastes, through sips only, are quite complex, primarily oak, dark fruit and syrup, not to mention the blast of alcohol resembling a nice port, some raisins and fig are noted throughout. Marked low on my drinkability scale based on the high potency. A special occasion beverage, difficult to rate.
The 8.45 ounces were split into two drinks, sipped much like you would sip a nice wine or port, which is what this bad boy resembles. Should have a warning label, as I picked up a few of these for $1.99 next to the higher priced forty ounce macros! You could truly share a bottle amongst three or four and still enjoy it! Also handy when you have a slight head cold, but I ain't no doctor.

04-06-2003 18:34:30 | More by GeoffRizzo
TheLongBeachBum

4.03/5  rDev +39%

I slowly spiral towards a distant central light. It is very cold & dark. I pass PLUTO.

> A new, unknown, bottled beer awaits discovery.

The Blue surface of the gas giant NEPTUNE is visible.

> A beautiful cobalt blue 8.45 fl.oz artistic bottle that has gold script & a port like plastic coated popper cork. A High Class appearance.

I pass URANUS, noting its very boring appearance.

> The viscous beer pours with a bituminous characteristic. A deep brown opaque color. When swirled in the glass, a residue of the beer clings to the walls like tar & brown oil-like rivulets drip down.

I am still drawn inwards, passing SATURN with its hazardous rings.

> 17.5% ABV, I know this could all end soon, once I start this mighty beer if I am not careful.

I pick up speed as I pass the biggest Gas Giant of them all JUPITER.

> Huge Aromas. Molasses, syrup, thick cloying licorice toffee, Pontefract cakes, oak aged Port, malt extract & Venos cough syrup. A rich nose.

The first Terrestrial Planet is visible, MARS.

> Just like Mars, Triple Bock is completely devoid of any visible CO2 on its surface. Utterly flat.

EARTH. Homely & welcoming. It is getting warmer.

> Tastes are complex, sip after sip reveals another hidden dimension that was not detectable before. An immense flavor profile. Strong alcohols, dark fruits, brandy soaked fruit cake are all there. Sweet, but not sickly. Velvety smooth & silky at times. It is very warming.

I skirt by the atmosphere of VENUS, the runaway greenhouse effect leads to real warming that cannot escape the Planet.

> Mouthfeel is of high strength syrupy liquor. It coats the mouth & often feels like the after effects of eating lots of licorice toffees. At the same time the beer heats the mouth & a warming effect dominates the throat. Lasts for many seconds & tastes linger even after you cool down.

It’s getting hotter. I am at MERCURY.

> I have almost completed the Bottle; the warming effect on my throat is now permanent. The aftertaste is continuously present. The alcohol is taking affect & I feel doomed.

I finally arrive. I am at the epicenter of what has been dragging me. The mighty SUN. I am now suitably warmed – happy – relaxed, as the Solar winds draw me in, I am just about to vaporize…..

……..Suddenly I awake. There is an empty Glass next to me, as well as an empty bottle of Sam Adams Triple Bock. Where have I been? Did this beer really take me to the edge of the Solar System & back??

03-15-2003 20:11:14 | More by TheLongBeachBum
ElGuapo

3.43/5  rDev +18.3%

1997 Vintage
A very dark brown, almost black pour that leaves a brown trail right down the side of the glass. It is very very thick, and pours like syrup or molasses. There is no head on this one as you may expect.

Whoa, the aroma of one tiny little 8.45 oz bottle filled an entire apartment. It was very strong, but not to the point of being offensive. I could open one with company, and the aromas coming out of the glass would not get naked and cause a riot causing everyone to leave. They would just be loud and let everyone know that they were there, getting to people at times, but for the most part, just hanging out as that one person that everyone knows is there.

When this beer first hits your tongue, you can feel the alcohol, but the taste of alcohol is not that strong. A huge bitter kick leaves your eyes gaping, and your taste buds, well, who knows exactly. They have never had anything like this before. It sweetens with flavors of maple syrup and molasses. A little bit of spice is thrown in the mix just before you get the alcohol flavor. Then, the aftertaste comes in very nice and roasty. It lingers for quite some time. One sip could keep your buds interested for a good 15 minutes or so.

The body of this beer is more than full, and it is more than thick. It has no carbonation, so it is quite smooth, but a lot of the intensity of the flavors keeps it from being dull on the tongue. It is much more like sipping a fine liquor than a beer. Warming alcohol makes this one pleasureable brew that your mouth loves to drink.

It takes a long long time to drink this beer, but it does not bore you, and if you are tired, it will kick you in the face and start a marching band in your head until you are lively and awake again.

The only things I would say are: Drink it at room temperature as recommended by a few other BAs. and... Give yourself some time for this one. I found that if I sipped to close together that the remaining aftertastes altered the next gulp.

1995 Vintage sampled 3-15-03
The 95 is much more refined from the 2 additional years of aging. The aroma was filled with dark chocolate and does not burn your nose as the 97 did. Chocolate balances the maple syrup in this vintage and makes it a much better brew than the 97. No burning alcohol here. A nice orasty aftertaste is also a pleasant surprise. I can only hope that my case of 97s will mature like the 95 did.
Appearance 4

03-06-2003 06:08:18 | More by ElGuapo
TAMU99

Guam

3.78/5  rDev +30.3%

Re-read the above with a wine in mind.
This is a really cool beer, because although I guess it's a really sweet stout it tastes like a hopped tawny port wine.
Comes in an 8 oz blue glass with a cork.
The beer is uncarbonated and pours a deep dark red-brown with no head.
Smell is a strong fruit/wine smell. It's a port.
Strong alcoholic feel and flavor. It is a spicy, sweet, velvety beer with a characteristic hops presence but not so much that it overpowers the sweet characters of the beer.

This is certainly an intersting one to try. I recommned that you expect a port wine, not a beer or it may bea surprise.

02-20-2003 20:37:10 | More by TAMU99
Erix

Vermont

4.03/5  rDev +39%

1995 bottle, split with a friend. Poured a dark black, couldnt see any light through even a small amount of this liquid. No carbonation at all, but I dont think that carbonation would do this beer any favors. Smelled strongly of alcohol and molasses. Drank in small small sips, the flavor is almost overpowering. Definite alcohol presence, along with flavors of maple syrup, molasses, coffee, vanilla, and about a hundred other things I couldnt quite put my finger on. Truly complex. Even small sips coated the whole mouth with a thick concentrated flavor. This would detract from a regular beer, but this only barely rests within the definition of beer, so I think it fit well. Of course the drinkability was poor, but again I think that only goes along with the style. I could feel the alcohol warming me up after just a small glass. I would love to have another couple bottles of this to open every few years, but it is not something that I need on a regular basis.

02-03-2003 12:19:17 | More by Erix
xXTequila

3.5/5  rDev +20.7%

Pours a very deep black, like ink. It has the consistancy of a light maple syrup.
The aroma is of burnt molasses and black licorice.
The flavour is molasses, licorice, currant, and black cherry?
The black cherry is a quess because there is a flavour in there that I can't quite figure out. This is like drinking a puzzle.
A very warming drink that goes well on a cold winter night.

02-03-2003 11:10:44 | More by xXTequila
scottum

Vermont

3.95/5  rDev +36.2%

Pours out thick black. This really is a thick one. 1995 vintage tastes of smoked maple. This is very unbeerlike. I'm going to have to start laying good brews down because if waiting eight years can do this to a beer I want more. The beer is so thick it coats everything it touches with a sample of its splender. Thank you Boston Beer.

I love to cook with this.

01-25-2003 08:56:08 | More by scottum
UncleJimbo

4.45/5  rDev +53.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I sampled this 1995 Sam Adams Triple Bock from a small blue bottle. According to the Sam Adams rep, the 1994 and 1995 vintages have the year on the back label, but the 1997 does not. There are only 3 vintages.

Appearance: Thick brown-black liquid (like molasses). No foam at all.

Smell: Very nice smell of sweet, dark malt and some molasses like aromas.

Taste: Sweet, dark malt. Strong flavor! Some alcohol taste comes through. This is a sipping beer.

Mouthfeel: Very good. Smooth, chewy, warming.

Drinkability: Very good. Nice to inhale the vapors and sip and savor. This one has mellowed nicely since 1995. I recall trying one a few years ago (also 1995), and not liking it as much.

01-22-2003 20:51:32 | More by UncleJimbo
ZAP

4.2/5  rDev +44.8%

A beer I've wanted to try for some time...negative opinions from those I know and high prices kept me away...Just found a bottle for 2.99 and decided to give it a whirl...

A deep mahogany tinted black with no carbonation at all....great nose...maple syrup...molassis....and alcohol....body is syrupy and sweet....I kind of dig the flavor....molassis and maple syrup again with a waring effect (go figure) in the stomach...definitely a sipping beer...alcohol is evident on the taste too but you;d figure that with the ABV...I've had better high alcohol beers (Dogfish Head) but this is decent in its own way...a true sipper...a great nose...a bit oversweet but worth a bottle here and there...If I go back to Fargo i will get 2-6 more of these to store for special occasions...I think it is pretty good overall..

97 Vintage...

01-14-2003 23:18:27 | More by ZAP
mjohn27603

4.18/5  rDev +44.1%

I found bottles of this and grabbed two immediately not quite realizing what it was it was supposed to be. I only had heard vaguely that this was somewhat rare. I read on the bottle that it was made with maple syrup. Sounded interesting. Then I got home and read the BA reviews. I advise reading through them before you taste. I didn't realize the potency and the aging potential of this beer before then. My bottles are 1997 I think so I don't know how they were handled before 2002.

I poured this into a shot glass after reading the reviews. No pint glass, no tulip glass. 2oz. to start with. Looks very black and opaque. No head. Smells like soy sauce. Take in eye dropper size sips. First taste reminds me of smokey links with maple syrup. Sweet tasting. Sugary maple. I detect a smokey like taste too. I don't think the ratings are very useful here. It is an extreme experience that could easily rate 2 or 5. Given an expectation of small doses I think an experience BA will look forward to the experience as an occasion. If I were smart I would have saved this for the 100th review like the previous reviewer.

01-14-2003 19:25:22 | More by mjohn27603
stoutlove77

Arizona

2.7/5  rDev -6.9%

This one was a suprise to me, small blue bottle with a cork style top. I got a chance to try this at our BA social at the Bum's and was not impressed with the out come. The look is a flat, having no carbonation, no head. It has a dark syrup like look (maybe good for waffles).The smell was a strong maple with hints of molasses and a good note of alcohol. The taste was strong, full of maple, could not note anything else for the alcohol was bold. Mouthfeel gave me the idea I was taking shots of cough syrup, hard to take this one down I felt it was more of a liquor.

01-13-2003 07:41:26 | More by stoutlove77
JISurfer

South Carolina

3.45/5  rDev +19%

Well, I had this awesome review written last night, but I was over my limit. So, I am going to try to write a good one again. I got one word for this beer. RICH. When I smelled it, it smelled like a deep dark chocolate brew. Also, when I poured it out, there was a chocolatey syrup on the bottom, so I poured a little back in to get it off the bottom. With all this going on, I totally expected a rich chocolatey brew. What I got was something different. It tasted like a mix of burnt coffe and maple syrup, mixed with a very earth flavor. It left a really long ring around the glass, like a good wine(forgot what the term was). Even though the taste was pretty strange, it had some great characteristics. The color of the beer was nice and dark, which I really like. The beer itself, was quite smooth and coated your throat, so it probably would be a good cough syrup. Another thing I liked about it, was that when I drank it, I grew like 20 more chest hairs. But seriously, I am going to save the other half of it for later, and let it age some. Well, this wasn't the same review as before, just tag it a tribute to the greatest review in the world. Salud!

01-05-2003 11:55:44 | More by JISurfer
RBorsato

1.45/5  rDev -50%

Black color and pours like 40weight. This is the only beer I've ever seen with legs after swirling and stains the glass like soy sauce. No head to speak of. Intense alcohol winey (portish?) aroma. Other than that it smells most like cocoa powder. Flavor of chocolate mint liquer with a strong burning alcohol sensation. Mouthfeel of Slick 50.

Overall: Too strong and not really a beer... I could not finish half a glass - too much like a shot of liquor. This has officially overtaken Cranberry Lambic as my least favorite SA brew.

A very cool 8.45 oz corked blue bottle though... Label states "Ale brewed with maple syrup" and brewed "under special arrangement, Ceres, CA". Assuming this is due to the Champagne yeast I believe they use.

01-03-2003 08:48:33 | More by RBorsato
Delirium

3.58/5  rDev +23.4%

Small, innocent looking little blue bottle with discreet gold lettered lable. Neck adorned with mysterious tag which simply reads, "Drink Me". (just kidding)

Cork removes like that of a bottle of fine cognac immediately releasing... ever light a candy apple on fire?

Looks and tastes like a liquer, the product of some secret beer biologist trapped away in a basement laboratory pushing the evolution of malt past natural boundries. It's Alive!

The maple syrup factory has burned to the ground... let's drink the ashes. A six pack in every sip. Cheers?

12-31-2002 14:19:56 | More by Delirium
hyuga

3.5/5  rDev +20.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 2.5

I'm pretty sure this is the 1997 vintage. There's no tag around the neck and no date on the bottle. Here we go, I can already tell that this will be a unique experience. I poured out a 3 or so ounce sample into a brandy snifter-type glass. It's an opaque brown liquid with caramel colored edges. No head, of course. As I swirl it around in the glass, a bit of it sticks to the sides of the glass, so it appears thick and syrupy. Powerfully aromatic. A mix of caramel, molasses, and dark chocolate, along with some strong raisin and berry character. On the palate, strong caramel and dark chocolate again, along with some sweet raisin. Berry fruitiness is big as well, very sharp, almost bitter. I'm getting some wood character too, possibly oak. Very interesting mouthfeel, it's like melting chocolate on your tongue, rich and thick. Definitely a sipping beer. It's good, but in very small doses. Cheers to Jim Koch for coming up with something so unique. Not really a beer drinker's beer, so make sure you really want to be adventurous before you try one of these.

12-14-2002 03:56:00 | More by hyuga
budgood1

3.7/5  rDev +27.6%

my bottle says 96A on the back, and i know there has been some discussion of whether or not there was a 96 vintage, so i'm assuming there is.

having no idea what to expect, i was ready to sample this "liquer" with a totally open mind with excited expectations.

color is a deep dark blackish ruby, sort of like cough syrup.

aroma is very complex...brandy, whiskey, bourbon, wood, vanilla, chocolate, toffee, molasses, raisin, cherry, and other dried fruits too numerous to mention.

mouthfeel is incredibly oily and slick, but silky smooth with an alcohol finish that is unmistakeable in it's intensity and warmth.

flavors run the gamut that were apparent in the aroma. the dried "fruitcake" flavors (prunes?) dominate, with hints of wood, brandy, vanilla and chocolate too. oh yeah...lots of alcohol too!

drinkability obviously is low. "sipability" is somewhat higher; there is no other way to drink it other than slowly and carefully.

i drank about an ounce and a half and decided to cork it back up. i certainly did not dislike it. i imagine i'll uncork it for those nights that i have a cold or need a quick night cap to take the edge off. could be drank in the same manner as one would would take a nip of blackberry brandy to clear the head. or used as a cordial before a special meal. not to be used as a beer in the traditional sense. i'm sure i'll think of more occasions where an ounce or two would be an appropriate measure in the future.

---

1995 version

i bought two bottles of this awhile ago. saving one....sampling one now.
side note....my cork broke off very easily.

pretty much the same characteristics as the 1997...i notice the chocolate and other fruiten notes moreso than my previous review. it seems exceptionally smoother and drinkable than before, also. all the haters can slam this concoction, but it's a killer brew. the 1995 is quite drinkable...slowly. i like this stuff...bad ass!

12-05-2002 19:49:23 | More by budgood1
putnam

Unfortunately we drank this in the dark. All I could tell was that it was clear, even if deep brownish black. Aromatics of burning cedar, tobacco and brown sugar. On the palate it was closed before it revealed flavors of molasses, pecan shell, nut essence and walnut liqueur. It was super thick and slick with texture that made me think of hot caramel syrup. A drop on the tongue is enough to get the full experience, like tasting $2000/bottle balsamic vinegar. It was thick. Later, after my senses had adjusted to the onslaught of sweets, nuts and spices, impressions of Lake Michigan beaches, complete with hot sand and live fish. Yet there's more: cola bean, vanilla bean...! Oh the thickness! If this was paint you would only need one coat. This is more of a condiment than a "beer"

08-30-2002 07:23:18 | More by putnam
WilliamPhilaPa

1.63/5  rDev -43.8%

I wonder how this brew would taste on my pancakes, or maybe waffles? I assume that’s all it’s good for. Pours a jet- black color with no head what so ever, gives the appearance of dirty engine oil. Thick and syrupy body, which was expected because it’s made with maple syrup…maple aromas on the nose, along with molasses, raisins, caramel and of course alcohol. Exactly the same can be tasted on the palate, but everything is just taken to the extreme and it not enjoyable at all. I split this with my pop on Father's day, and he agreed that it also, is just to extreme, I couldn't imagine drinking the whole bottle myself...

06-17-2002 06:17:32 | More by WilliamPhilaPa
Jdiddy

Rhode Island

1.05/5  rDev -63.8%

1995 Vintage: Ok, this is where I draw the line. This is just bad. Definitely like soy sauce. How anyone can drink this just amazes me. I expected so much more from Mr. Koch. Something just went terribly wrong with this. Sour, salty and awful. I could barely get a full sip down.

06-15-2002 19:19:34 | More by Jdiddy
stoutman

4.03/5  rDev +39%

1995 Vintage: Very similar to a thomas hardys ale. Has the depth and complexity of a fine cognac, vintage port, or an old sherry. A brandy-like warmth and a complex blend of fruity, woody, and toffee-like flavors are ever present. An after taste of vanilla and tannin is noticed. Non-carbonated, ruby-black in color, and very interesting. Is this really beer? This beer should be served and sipped from a small snifter. Lower drinkability rating due to its potency.

06-01-2002 17:31:10 | More by stoutman
beerluvr

Ontario (Canada)

4.08/5  rDev +40.7%

1995 Vintage: Whoa! Had this in my cellar for 7 years, but beer is meant to be drunk, right? Ok, pours thick and syrupy, nearly opaque into the glass, nose is reminiscent of chocolate covered raisins, prunes & alcohol. Mouthfeel is very viscuous, heavy...tastes pruney...very deep and complex, alcohol is definately felt on the palate, almost stings the tongue. Aftertaste changes with every smack of the lips. This is one hell of a beer...but can you call it beer?? Well whatever you call it, it's an experience you'll remember...there is nothing else quite like it!

05-11-2002 18:32:20 | More by beerluvr
Samuel Adams Triple Bock from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)