Samuel Adams Triple Bock - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Triple BockSamuel Adams Triple Bock

poor

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

American Strong Ale |  17.50% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 01-10-1998

Though the little cobalt bottles still decorate the shelves today, this beer only had 3 vintage releases; 1994, 1995, and 1997. Brewed with two row malted barley, water, Noble hops and yeast, along with maple syrup, it was then aged several months in oak whiskey barrels before being bottled. At the time it was considered the world's strongest beer, and a precursor of today's Extreme Beers.
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Triple Bock Alström Bros

A '97 vintage, I've had this one three years, bought at Blue Max, if memory serves me. Its been sitting humbly, watching others chosen before it. No matter, its a humble beer. No, not really.

Into a small tulip glass, pours the thickest, sludgiest, viscous oil jet black I've ever seen, so thick, when swirled it coats the sides of the glass in a syrupy tan slick. Its legs would send oenophiles into ecstasy. Already, this just isn't a normal beer, not in a long shot.

The aroma goes straight for the jugular, after 10 years of developing the alcohol just intoxicating after one whiff. Its like a boubon black sherry berry brown alcoholic maple sugar syrup. Ya, like that. Plus, licorice.

When it goes to mouth, its pretty much completely out of the ordinary. This is a bock? Sure, why not. Its also a whole lot more. I almost hate to just sit here naming its attributes, but here it goes. Lots of liquor, sherry and port and bourbon, copious amounts, sweetness in flavors of syrup, sugars, some molasses, raisins, a bit woody, a lot alcoholy... At first I wanted to share it, now I need to share it, and glad I am, because its so so strong, so potent.

I'm not quite sure what to make of this one. For one, and I'm almost ashamed to say, I couldn't quite finish it, just too much. But its really just that crazy, and a sign of a great brewer, to put together a beer that ages for a decade and comes out like some crazy sublime elixir or intoxication. So, in sum, I'm really glad I finally put this one under my belt, but just like the Utopia, damn, thats it for me.

4.37/5  rDev +48.6%

This is a 12 year old bottle.

Pours black with a motor oil like quality, highlight are caramel brown. There is no head whatsoever.

Aroma is smokey, slightly charred dark malt. Unsderlying brown suagr like sweetness that must be from the maple syrup. Alcohol is solvent like in it's intensity.

Taste is sweet and smooth up front with generous black loquorice flavor. Maple syrup, brown sugar, chocolate, and interesting smokey dark malt. Hints of dark fruit. No hops. Finish is extremely dry and woody. Alcohol flavor is unmistakeable; brandy like.

Mouthfeel is full, think, and so smooth.

This is an amazing brew. Initially it seems more like liquor than beer due to the sweetness and alcohol sting. However, the wonderful chocolate, smokey malt character makes this like no liquor I have enjoyed. A great brew, it's really a shame that this isn't offered any longer. This brew is something special.

4.64/5  rDev +57.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This bottle was a 1995 vintage.

Poured a dark thick brown with some dark orange highlights. No head to speak of at all.

This beer smells like exactly like a fine old Tawny Port, sweet,oaky, intense, some hints of dark fruit, raisons, chocolate and its very powerful.

The flavor is amazing, a huge complex mixture of chocolate, toffee, star anise, oak, and alcohol. The flavor is more sweet than bitter though does have a bit of smoky bitter chocolate in the finish. This is more like drinking a fine liqueur than beer, but is still amazing. I am blown away by the complexity, the flavors seem to linger forever, and while the alcohol is noticeable its flavors aren't dominating and are very subtle. This beer is so hard to decribe, the best I can say is its like drinking a fine tawny port with alot of dark malts thrown in.

Mouthfeel is warm and slick up front with a long dry finish that seems to last forever.

By no means an everyday session beer, but incredibly drinkable for the huge abv and immensily enjoyable due to its uniqueness. I just wish I could aquire more of this.

3.3/5  rDev +12.2%

so i went to buy this at City Wide in Mishawaka and my "go-to" beer guy told me just to take it for free because no-one ever buys it and he doesn't like it, so that was nice of him. Uncorked it and poured into a glass...black with no carbonation. looks kind of like iodine in the glass. Smells like alcohol and soy sauce and teriyaki. Weird odor, not beer like at all. alcohol odor gets stronger as the beer warms up. Taste is maplely, soy sauce, salty. Very booxy and warming. slightly sweet, some fruitiness. I actually think its pretty decent, and definitely interesting. Probably the one beer among all that i've had that should definitely be classified as a "sipper". I couldn't get through the whole bottle becuase it was too heavy for me so i shared it with friends and made a "cream ale" with the rest of mine using some King Cobra i had on hand....and let me be the first to say that mixing King Cobra and SA Triple Bock as actually quite a pleasant experience.

2.68/5  rDev -8.8%

This beer poured a dark yellowish brown with no head. The beer seemed very oily leaving a yellowish coating on the glass. The smell was a very strong smell of chocolate and soy sauce, with hints of sweetness.

The taste was a very strong chocolate and soy sauce taste as well, with hints of sugar and saltiness. Very strong alcohol and almost a little tart. the mouthfeel was ok, with it being very thick, but too oily.

A very strange beer, but then again I have not had many beers that were not carbonated and this strong. Worth a try just for the novelty of it.

2.91/5  rDev -1%

Retired? They still have a few bottles at the packies around Beantown.

Anyway, there's nary a pop when you open the cork, and this... beverage pours an opaque umber/black with no head. In fact, no carbonation. None. Not a single bubble. Very strong aromas of molasses, pumpernickel, chocolate, and dried berries. Mouthfeel is thick and viscous, slippery and oily - tastes like molasses and pumpernickel with a sweet alcohol kick - actually quite smooth in that regard, the alcohol is less "hot" than even in most wines.

Overall, I just don't quite know what's up with this "beer." It's completely flat, has no hop taste or aroma whatsoever, and isn't even particularly bittered. Really it tastes more like a molasses wine than anything. Which is nice I suppose, but certainly not what I was looking for in a triple bock (or an American Strong Ale for that matter).

3.52/5  rDev +19.7%

This beer pours as thick as it tastes. It sits in the glass like heavy syrup and is as dark as used oil. It holds to the glass with a brown glaze. It smells smoky and sweet with traces of maple and roasted coffee. It has a slightly woody smell and fills the senses. The taste is sweet and maple with strong hints of chocolate and coffee. It has strong alcohol bite and a lingering after taste. The beer feels sticky and smooth and sits in your mouth. In all it’s a very drinkable beer for the strong beer style. It is certainly a special beer for a special occasion. It’s not your normal beer and it’s more of an experience then a drink.

2.97/5  rDev +1%

Poured from the bottle into a snifter glass.

Jet black, syrupy look. No head or lace. Leaves a dark syrupy film on the inside of the glass.

Aroma is winy with hints of chocolate, maple syrup, and soy sauce.

Flavor begins like a heavy red wine. Molasses, coco, and maple. A faint aftertaste of sweet apple cider slides in, but is gone almost immediately. No carbonation whatsoever. Alcohol is noticeable, but not nearly what you'd expect from a beer at 17%.

3.4/5  rDev +15.6%

This beer pours, from a cobalt blue bottle, a thick very dark brown color. No light shines through this one. It has absolutely no head or laces at all.

This beer has a very strong aggressive aroma. The alcohol content is very present. Behind that, I smell some dark fruits. Cherries, and figs mostly. I smell bourbon. It smells very sweet and malty. It has a slight chocolate aroma as well. I think I can also detect a slight soy sauce aroma. Different.

Holy shit this beer tastes aggressive! It has a fruity flavor. Chocolate covered cherries. Maybe some raspberries. The alcohol content is very present in the flavor. I taste some raisins also. It has a bourbon flavor also.

This beer is very full bodied. It is very aggressive. It leaves a chocolate covered cherry aftertaste. This beer warms the throat as it goes down. It has no carbonation what so ever.

This beer would make a terrable session beer. It is very high in alcohol. Just the 8.5 oz is almost too much. Also, the flavors are so aggresive and there are just so many, that it is hard enought to have the one glass.

Overall: I am happy to have had the chance to try this one. I doubt I will ever get it again, but for now I am pleased. Drinking this beer is proving to be a chore. I think it is just a little too over the top for me.

3.85/5  rDev +31%

Squeaked the cork connected to the cap out of the little cobalt blue bottle and poured this puppy into a tulip glass.

Pours with buh-lack brown thick viscous hue topped with nothing, nada, zip, zilch leaving impressive legs with a swirl.

Scents are blasting across the room to my nose like wildfire! Baker's chocolate, worcestershire sauce and some port wine blast. Quite a challenge to figure out this one. It's getting a 4/5 due to the complexity although it's bizzare.

First swigs: Port wine but thicker with a dusty saw dust and dry biter finish. Baker's chocolate french kiss. A brandy hint warms the taste. Mostly a middle of thick cocoa, molasses and port wine round the flavors. Raisins and figs with a complexity unbecoming of most any other beer.

Feel is warm, not hot. Quite amazing and impressive. Tends to coat the tongue with a thick molasses syrup.

Last swigs: Can't imagine what food would be complimented by this wicked brew.

2.17/5  rDev -26.2%

Alcohol smell followed by musty/smoky aroma with hints of chocolate. Reminds me of an old-folks home.
No head whatsoever, not even a bubble. Pours like used oil, near black with legs like wine.
Flavor was horrifying, alcohol strikes the palate followed by a barrage of deep concentrated malt, licorice and dates. It's like drinking malt extract water down with rubbing alcohol.
Mouthfeel was astringent and reminds me of drinking heated honey or syrup.
Two sips was all I could handle, the dog wouldn't come near me until I brushed my teeth.

4.35/5  rDev +48%

In the beginning, God created man and it was good.
Man created beer and it was good.
Man cellered his creation.
This is that cellering.
I can't begin to describe it. It is either a love or hate but it is definitely not a beer to be taken as 'middle of the road'.
Blacker than anything....zero carbonation.
Heavy port wine, dark chocolate, and raisin aromas.
Sips yield port wine, brandy, raisins, assorted dark fruits, lots of sugars, and things too complex to describe.
I quit...I cannot evaluate this beer verbally. everything is scent, taste, feel.
....and I love it.

4.07/5  rDev +38.4%

Appearance: Blue glass with Gold Leaf style lettering let you know that you are in for a treat right off the bat. It pours a very thick and dark black almost like high viscosity used engine oil type color. Sticky looking tan residue lines the glass along the edges with absolutely no head or noticeable signs of Carbonation.

Smell: The second the cork is out, a huge nose overwhelms. A smoky, slightly charred element with strong molasses and maple traces, also slight traces of soy sauce and just cooked coffee beans, much like many Ports.

Taste: Sweet and Sour with more sweetness with every sip. Then comes molasses which quickly rolls into new england autumnish, smoky maple and ends with slight peppery hints, also dark chocolate and coffee hints present. Its quite an interesting and unique taste.

Mouth: Smooth yet sticky in the fact that it coats your entire mouth and is there to stay.

Drinkability: Very good for certain occasions, but can't see it being a common beer pairing. I can drink it, and like it, but not more the a bottle at a time in the proper setting. Probably a phenomenal dessert beer.

2.87/5  rDev -2.4%

Just got a bottle from someone not interested in it. 1995 bottling.
Even though the bottle had been stored on it's side to keep the cork moist it had leaked over the years. Broke the wax and tried to uncork. Cork broke into bits and finally fell into the bottle despite my best efforts.
Poured into a tall shot glass inky black as night and thick as 30 weight. The smell jumps out of the bottle, super sweet malt, dark raisins, plums, brown sugary malts, and huge maple syrup. Almost a medicinal alcoholic note in the nose.
Taste is huge, no carbonation, thick as molassas, maple syrup, dark fruits, port and sherry.
Mouthfeel is chewy, slick, and thick. Probably no way I'll finish this one, just a few sips to get the experience under my belt. I love extreme beers and this is one of the most extreme out there.

2.86/5  rDev -2.7%

Bottled in December 2000.

Appearance: Good lord. This doesn't even look like beer. No head, no carbonation, just solid, oily blackness. It doesn't really look "good" in the sense that I'd usually think a beer looks good, but it definitely looks interesting.

Smell: Soy sauce. Dark chocolate. Marmite. Booze. Weird.

Taste: This is completely bizarre. Deep, dark, and fruity, with a thick, yeasty soy sauce flavor, loads of rich cacao, and a finish of espresso. Notes of black sugar and prunes are also prominent throughout. Completely unlike any other beer I've had. But is it good? Well... in a way.

Mouthfeel: Completely flat; I'm talking NO carbonation, not even the suggestion of carbonation, not even an attempt at carbonation. Despite this, it's not bad. Full and slick, with a surprisingly clean finish.

Drinkability: This is drinkable in the same way that a glass of whiskey is drinkable. Unfortunately, this is a beer, not a whiskey, so I'm afraid it just isn't that drinkable. But for how weird this beer is, it won't be a challenge for me to finish the bottle. I'll just have to do it kind of slowly.

3.48/5  rDev +18.4%

Pour: Small 8.45 oz bottle to tulip glass. No pop or pressure when uncorked. Pours into the glass w/ no carbonation and just a touch of dark tan lacings. Coffee color body accented w/ ruby hues. Very thick looking. Even though the bottle is extremely dark, this beer stained the bottle! Stains glass the color of iodine.

Nose: chocolate and kaluah notes very strong right out of the bottle. it's like huffing a bag of unground espresso bean. port characters like a big glass of it. dark cocoa and some notes of rubbing alcohol.

Mouth: Sweet, warm, oily, spicy, fruity. This one is everywhere. Chocolate notes and lingering bitter coffee flavors. Sharp like daggers or getting punched in the teeth. Like drinking the bottom of a cup of Turkish coffee. Fruit flavors made up of prunes and dried dates.

4.25/5  rDev +44.6%

Obviously this is one of those beers that you are going to either Hate or Love. I love it. Above you will see that many hate/loath this beer. Not sure why.

I split a 8.4 oz bottle of this with two other people and it was plenty enough to satisfy us all. This was a 1995 bottle.

Pours very thick and syrupy. Deep brown/violet hue or something to it almost. The cork looks like it has been sitting in soy sauce.

The aroma reminds me of molasses and a tiny hint of soy sauce. I can tell this is going to be explosive on my palate. Sweetness is just spewing out of the aroma as well.

The flavor follows the nose. This is so much like drinking a good port wine. If you are into port, pick up this beer, lots of it. I taste a lot of heavy concentrated sweet malt, molasses, chocolate sneaks its way in there nicely, teriaki. Very nice.

The mouthfeel is next to no carbonation with a full body that coats your mouth like paint. I've never drank a beer that has lingered as long as this one. I was enjoying the flavor of this beer long after each sip and the best part is the flavor keeps changing and evolving long after the swallow.

The drinkability, for me, is good. I love this beer and wish I had a ton of it to sit on. Drinkability for you....one way to find out I guess.

I highly recommend this one....especially if you like super thick beers or a nice port.

1.3/5  rDev -55.8%

Sam Adams Triple Bock pours as a dark thick syrupy. The smell is a strong chocolate.

The taste is a dark chocolate and a very strong alcohol flavor. The mouthfeel is not very pleasant and has no carbonation.

The best part of this beer is the blue corked bottle. With that being said, I will never try this one again :(

1.3/5  rDev -55.8%

A friend found this at Bevmo and we decided to give it a try. It pours thick and dark. No head at all. To me it smelled bit bit like chocolate and soy sause. Very strong alcohol taste and i could taste some chocolate. This beer was very hard for me to drink. I hate to slam a beer but this was simply not for me.

4.21/5  rDev +43.2%

Wow. So, see, here's the thing. I like this stuff. A lot.

I just had a 1994 or so (?) at Sunset Grill, but this isn't a review of that. Rather, it's a review of a criminally cheap ($4.49!!!) 1995 vintage bottle from BevMo Sacramento. I had no idea what I was buying until just now, when I popped it open -- I just saw Triple Bock, and like I always do, bought a bottle.

The cork tore as I pulled it out, and I had to remove it with a corkscrew. It's definitely a faulty cork, but I actually think the oxidation might have helped this ass-whupper some.

Pours, like always, a motor oil consistency, deep auburn/grey/brown. Zero head.

Aroma is sweetest, deepest, molasses sugar malt.

Taste is much the same as the aroma, but with aged port solera, prunes, and chocolate finish, and wow -- this batch is good. I mean, really very good. I've had about six or seven different vintages of this beer, and this one is either my favorite, or second. Yes, some light, mild soy sause hints, and some sugar plums, some figs, some plums, some chocolate extract, and some weird port/sherry flavors. Super complex, and we could spend hours trying to tease out all the flavors.

I accept that I'm on the fringe of the beer drinking world, hell, the fringe of civilization, for really liking Triple Bock. And this bottle, this vintage? Shit, I love the stuff, and I'll go back and buy about two cases if they still have it.

2.06/5  rDev -29.9%

Date stamped 1996. Tasted 11/25/06

This beer poured a pitch black body with a thick yellowish oily residue in the legs around the corner of the glass when you swirl it. Head is completely non existent no matter how hard you pour it.

Nose is very much an extract sort of smell, like opening up a bottle of vanilla extract almost. Chocolate, toffee, coffee, malt, malted milk balls and waves of alcohol. Mild woody flavors but overall a strong alcohol extract smell. Actually not to bad and rather inviting.

Thick with an odd oily and slimy body. Non salty soy sauce, naturally brewed soy sauce, extremely thin undercooked natural maple syrup, dark burnt malt, straight LME, extremely sugary, dates, figs, figs, rotting figs, raisins and waves of molasses. The 17% ABV hits you slowly with a mild warmth during sipping but really sneaks up behind you and gets you drunk. Very mild if any bitterness. Somewhat of a metallic bitterness. Overall though waves of natural malt.

I first tried this beer, several times including at the brewery in 1998 and vowed never to try it again, this was of course nearly half a decade before I became a BA and learned to appreciate fine beer, so might as well give it a second shot. Well... I like it more now than I did then. Maybe it mellowed a bit since then, but honestly it's still a wretched almost undrinkable beer. I sort of look at this beer now as the prototype for the big beers like Dogfish heads W.W.S. or the Sam Adams Utopias. Again, an interesting case study but this is the last time I ever plan on having this beer.

2.14/5  rDev -27.2%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1

And away weeee go!

A: Pours a very much port like dark purple almost merlot color with a completely non-existent head. Swirl this bad boy and you get some serious oily caramel colored residue on the glass. This guy has some amazing wine/alcohol legs to it--thick and evenly spaced. Again, is this a port or a beer?
S: Umm--where to start? Many flavors to touch on. Chocolate, caramel, toffee, butterscotch, dark fruit, fig, dates. Deep sugary confection like notes that have strange licorice aroma to them.
T/M: Mouthfeel first as that's the most noticeable right off the bat. Thick, oily, and extra syrupy. Can I put this on pancakes? I think maybe. A reduction sauce over ice cream? Possibly...back to the flavors. Chocolate with raspberries, toffee, caramel, figs, and big licorice flavors. Slight metallic like notes in the finish coupled with a bitterness that was unexpected. A bit tarty and spicy---abv? As it warms up the abv becomes more noticeable, but is tamed. Flavors also become more pronounced as it warms--almost too much. Makes you blink as you sip...
D: Drinkable? Yeah if you had a 2oz. pour of it. The more you drink, the less you like. I would recommend sharing this if you can find it, though I'm not sure how much of it is left as it was brewed in the 1990's.

1.23/5  rDev -58.2%

Note: first review was deleted due to excessive use of profanity. 'milder' and less scathing version below.

1995 vintage

This is still available at a few outlets (got mine at Bevmo), and I've never had it so I thought I'd give it a shot. The cork broke as I removed the top and easily dropped in the bottle with little pressure as i attempted to check the seal-

No carbonation, no head. Thick and viscous.

I've read the reviews and figure that 'soy sauce' flavor was meant figuratively. I was wrong. It was literal. Very literal. Tastes and smells like soy sauce with mirin (sweet cooking wine). It's overpowering and unpleasant. It actually coats the side of the glass - just like soy sauce. I kept trying to find something positive about it, but to no avail.

This may have been good at it's prime, but it's gone down the bad road in the years. If you see it, save your money, and your tastebuds. Avoid this beer.

3.57/5  rDev +21.4%

I like this beer. This is truly a market redefining brew that continues to polarize drinkers to this day. I have a couple of 94's and a few 97's buried in the beer cellar. This review is of a 95 thanks to Malto.

Wow, much tastier than the 97. Sweet, thick, ripe fruit that borders on what I would imagine a high octane glass of prune juice would be. Poured into a brandy snifter and sipped over an evening this is a treat.

Love it or hate it - your call. Haven't had it? Try it and join a side. Some things have to be tried. This is one.

4.59/5  rDev +56.1%

Just as reference the SA Triple Bock that I am reviewing here in Nov. 2006 is from 1994, the first year they brewed it I believe. Anyway, my husband & I bought a case of this when it came out & we open a bottle of it every year or so. We've shared this with friends & they either love it or hate it.

First & foremost one must not have "beer" on the brain when sampling this - it it a malt based beverage but it is closer to a barley wine than a beer or ale. Second - put it in an appropriate glass like a brandy snifter, port or sherry glass. Third - SIP IT! It is very complex and the flavors change with temperature (like anything else), you're going to have different flavors after it has sat in the glass for 15 -20 minutes than after the initial opening.

We were somewhat apprehensive when we opened this bottle - it had been in the fridge upright for several months and the cork had dried out. Our bad, having forgotten that it had a cork & being dumb enough not to store it on it's side so the cork didn't dry out. Fortunately it was still wonderful. Very malty with mollasses and fruity tones to it. Somewhat syrupy, like an apertif but not over-sweet. Overall I'd have to say that it has aged very nicely. I'm not sure how much of our initial case is left (it's in storage right now as we're between houses), but I'd like to try to save at least one bottle for another 8 years or so & see what it tastes like when it's 20 years old.

Samuel Adams Triple Bock from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)