Samuel Adams Triple Bock - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Triple BockSamuel Adams Triple Bock

poor

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

American Strong Ale |  17.50% ABV

Though the little cobalt bottles still decorate the shelves today, this beer only had 3 vintage releases; 1994, 1995, and 1997. Brewed with two row malted barley, water, Noble hops and yeast, along with maple syrup, it was then aged several months in oak whiskey barrels before being bottled. At the time it was considered the world's strongest beer, and a precursor of today's Extreme Beers.

(Beer added by: Todd on 01-10-1998)
View: Beers (128) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Triple Bock Alström Bros
cheers2beers

1.9/5  rDev -35.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.5

Appearance: This beer pours thick black motor oil with absolutely no head whatsoever. Extreme tan and tar-like legs. Seems like this beer will end up staining my clear snifter.

Smell: The aromas are God alwful! But good in the sence that it smells like a cooking sauce such as mesquite barbque sauce and worcestershire steak sauce. Chocolate, over abundant vanilla, and maple syrup. Also cleansing alcohol fumes are noted.

Taste: Oh my God, total wreck! The flavors are red wine vinegar, a blend of every cooking sauce and spice all rolled into one. With alcohol fumes that are to the roof. On a plus note the aftermath settles to a mercifull dark and bitter chocolate finish with hints of maple vanilla and mint that linger.

Mouthfeel: Can you say fat? This monster is thick and chewy and oh so full. I forget that im drinking a "beer".

Drinkability: Low drinkability to say the least. As it warmed I must admit that I had a tough time finishing it. If anything I procured quite a nice buzz. Its ok to experience this once but never again.

Cheers2Beers

06-15-2006 22:41:23 | More by cheers2beers
shbobdb

Indiana

1.85/5  rDev -36.9%

Like many BA's, homebrewing is a hobby of mine, so if you are interested in re-creating this beer, here is a simple recipe I divined whilst drinking it, no brewing required!

2 Parts Fleishmann's Vodka
1 Part Soy Sauce (Kikkoman's will work fine)
1 Part Blackstrap Molassas
1 Part seltzer water. Perhaps tonic water, for bitterness. Not 100% sure on this one.

Jet black, no head to speak of, a boozy nose dominated by, well, basically what I described. Sam Adam's normally kicks up a killer brew, but this was not it. It was the 1995 vintage, so perhaps it was past its prime??

05-31-2006 13:23:07 | More by shbobdb
bigreduw64

Wisconsin

1.68/5  rDev -42.7%

Poured into a snifter, have heard good things and have been looking forward to this one.

First smell I get soy sauce, a very strong aroma, but all I get is soy sauce.

When I tasted this one, honestly, it made me gag. I had heard that it would taste like a sherry so I was hoping that it would be really sweet. It was sweet, but I got a taste of soy sauce that was just to overpowering. I could not drink this one at all. This may not be a bad beer, but in my opinion I did not like it at all. I definitely would never buy this one again.

05-14-2006 09:18:41 | More by bigreduw64
Mitchel

1.27/5  rDev -56.7%

I am not sure when this was bottled as there is no date on the bottle.

It pours an extremely murky (can not see anything through it) brownish black. There is no head what so ever. There is also no carbonation to be seen. It smells like soy sauce...soy sauce and molasses. There is perhaps a little bit of an A-1 steak sauce smell to it.

Hmmm…it tastes like all of the above. The mouthfeel is pretty thick, but again, with no carbonation. It tastes mostly like soy sauce. Very thick and very overwhelming. It sticks to the palate and won’t let go. I also found myself wiping my lips after I was done with it. It almost tastes like a spoiled glass of port (kinda’ vinegary).

Honestly, this is possibly the worst beer that I have ever had. Something went wrong with this. I drank the whole bottle thinking that eventually I would get it (and also knowing that I spent $13 on it). I was thinking that perhaps I was missing the big picture. But alas, nothing. I found that it was still appalling from first sip to last. Don’t try this beer, unless someone else is buying and even then, just try a sip of theirs. I am sad to report that this is worse than Sam Adams' 'CranberryLambic'. Be afraid, very afraid!

05-11-2006 02:49:42 | More by Mitchel
DogFood11

2.08/5  rDev -29%

Pours very dark, no head, no lacing, no carbonation to speak of. Really weak appearance, boring. Leaves me with the feeling of "am I really going to dive into this bitch"...of course I am.

Some licorice notes, dark fruits, chocolate, alot going on in the nose for sure. Tastes of some Fig, prunes, raisins, massive sweetnes is over the top. Thick and syrupy to the tenth degree, sticks to your teeth and never gives up in the aftertaste. Kinda like cough syrup in alot of ways. Alcohol is harsh, sizzling, and unforgiving.

wow, while I enjoy creativity and breaking of molds, this offering needs some work. I would expect some of these qualities listed above in a beer of this strength, but it just doesn't hit anything that makes it interesting. Rather hard to put down. I would never pour out a beer that wasn't spoiled, I'm still batting 100%, this is not spoiled, just bad.

05-08-2006 04:54:26 | More by DogFood11
Wasatch

Utah

3.88/5  rDev +32.4%

A - Pours a black color, no head, no carbonation, no lacing.

S - Scents of dried fruits, soy sauce, and slight acohol.

T - The taste is not that bad for a brew 9 years old, my first one of that age. Taste is very sweet and kinda bitter, a touch of caramel. Also a warm feeling in the throat going down.

M - Medium body.

D - Drinkable. Would be hard to drink two of these, but come on people this shit is 9 years old. I take it for what it's worth. I found no clumps as others. It's a conversational piece in my book, I'm glad I had a chance to try one. What I really would have liked, is to have one of these one or two years after it was produce at least.

04-30-2006 18:47:35 | More by Wasatch
Manosbeeroffate

Maine

1.1/5  rDev -62.5%

Got this as a trade from Hero27 (awsome trader, thanks) Pours pitch black, no carbonation whatsoever. Smells like some old wine and fruit that's been sitting in the fruit bowl for a few weeks in the sun. Taste, oh gawd, like old rotted fruit, soy sauce and vegetable oil. Oily mouthfeel. Overall drinkaility? Forget it. I've been warned that this stuff is not for the faint at heart but I wanted to try it out cause of it's legendary status, and honestly I'm glad I did. But I still can't drink it. The rest is going to be a maranade.

Edit: Great marinade!! Review is still the same though

04-28-2006 00:36:22 | More by Manosbeeroffate
rhoadsrage

3.1/5  rDev +5.8%

(Served in a snifter)
age 1997

A- This beer pours an inky, motor oil black body with a lump of something plopping out at the end. The bottle has a thick sludge around the inside where the beer was. There is no sign of head at all and no carbonation at all. This beer has very long legs when swirled with some small particles sticking to the glass.

S- The smell of dark sweet malt has a very strong port wine aroma that almost burns the nose. There are also some earthy red wine smells with a faint coffee roast note to it.

T- This is a thick dark heavy liquid with notes of black roasted malt with a slight coffee flavor and some maple syrup flavor with the alcohol finish. The finish has notes of bourbon with some chalky flavor in the finish. There is a faint soy sauce note that hangs on the throat after the sip. With the harsh alcohol there is a tobacco juice flavor that is a bit rough. As it warms the alcohol finish takes on a slight flavor of white vinegar.

M- This beer has a medium mouthfeel with a slipperiness and a good bit of harsh alcohol warmth in the finish.

D- This beer is great and horrible in the same sip. It has great qualities that are mixed with wickedly harsh flavors to make a very confused beer. I’m not sure if this is from to much age or too little age or just neglect. I remember trying this about 10 years ago when it first came out and I couldn’t finish the glass. Now it has lots more BIG flavors but it is still too harsh to drink. This is the only beer I couldn’t finish…yet. Maybe in 10 years.

04-25-2006 01:36:50 | More by rhoadsrage
Fugazme

Nebraska

4.18/5  rDev +42.7%

Version '97

I've had this one quietly cellaring for a few years and thought I'd bring it out for no particular reason... still have some '95's locked up...

Pours a deep, deep black into a brandy snifter... zero head... wasn't expecting any. Opaque. Huge legs... brown legs... better legs than some of the best red wines I've tried. Quite nice.

Aroma is very woody Some say soy sauce... I don't get that. A nice sweetness... somewhat harsh, but enjoyable. Chocolatey and smokey. Huge nose. Sour at times... Molasses and balsamic.

Mouthfeel is silky with an alcohol burn... but slight.

Big, big raisin and fig flavors/// even fresh grapes.
Very sweet and nice.

Ever reduce a balsamic vinegar a touch too far?!? This is what it tastes like... not entirely offensive, but not exactly what you wanted. Still pretty good.

This is a once a year kind of beer...

04-03-2006 07:00:51 | More by Fugazme
mcallister

3.3/5  rDev +12.6%

Well I have to say I'm a wine lover at heart and drink a lot of wine, good wine. This is very reminiscent of a fortified wine.

It pours a very opaque brown with no carbonation and no head. Smells of toffee, choclate, caramel, creme brulee, and slight oak.

It's actually very smooth and easy to drink in my opinion. Kind of like an old madiera. Very choclatey, with pure vanilla extract and toffee. Doesn't show it's alcohol in my opinion. I'd much prefer a fortified wine but this is a fun little bottle to try.

04-02-2006 23:32:21 | More by mcallister
murrayswine

Arizona

3.75/5  rDev +28%

This was shared with me by Battlekow who recieved it from HiGravity in UTBIF.
This is the hardest rating I have ever done.
It poured out of a nanoscopic bottle that retailers for the price of a tank of gas. Alright maybe a little lower, but pricey none the less.
The pour is like thick armanian brandy. HOLY GOD THE NOSE! This is, like others stated, soy sauce, chocolate, and maple syrup, bitter maple syrup at that. The smell is friggin huge. I dont know what this was like 11 years ago, but jesup cripes.
The taste is strong. Too strong at first. well no, just too strong actually. Grapes, prunes, plums, teriyaki, hell, and maple are the prominent smells. Age made this beer really mean.
Try it for the experience, but not the drinkability at 17.5%. Well my day is shot, time for a nap

04-01-2006 21:14:54 | More by murrayswine
MrSeth

2.98/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

I think everyone would agree that this ale is one tough nut to crack, but I feel like I need to critique it nonetheless.

Appearance: Strange consistency, like motor oil and soy sauce. Looks like it has staining power.

Smells: Reaks like Kikkoman Soy sauce, I mean across the table wafts! Underneath that there is dead-ripe plums and black cherries.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Sweet malt coating the mouth, warms with alcohol as it finishes just a bit sticky. A wide range of flavors come to mind. Concord grapes, candied tamarind, baked apples.. they just keep rolling.. dates and figs come to mind as well. There is no way to avoid being apprehensive about this brew, it looks like very different from most heavy bocks/ales. It's got a warming feel as it crosses the tongue. But given a chance it is worth trying (at least once).

Drinkability: Very low. I love savoring tawney ports, old ales and barley wines in a snifter but this is still an ale that is far too rich for me to enjoy.

03-28-2006 23:53:52 | More by MrSeth
nlmartin

2.2/5  rDev -24.9%

This review is a culmanation of two seperate tastings. The first was well chilled and the second was room temperature. The beer was served in small amounts in a wide mouth wine goblet. This beer is the 1997 version.

Appearance: The beer poured a dark brown with ruby opaqueness. There was no head present on the beer. There was no carbonation in the beer. The beer left no lacing; however, there is a slight oily sheen noted on the glass.

Smell: The beer had a fruity rum soaked raison, dates and figs smell. The alcohol was very much present as an odd combination of rum and merlot. There was a bit of soy sauce in the smell. This is definately a very complex smelling beer.

Taste: Frankly all I was hit with was sugary sweetness and booze with lots and lots of Soy Sauce. The sweetness was to much warm and was still to much cold. Dam down the drain the beer went.

Mouthfeel: The beer was thick and oily. I was buried in sweet boozey soy sauce.

Drinkability: This beer was just simply undrinkable warm or cold. I still have another bottle in the closet and will try in a few years.

03-27-2006 06:49:52 | More by nlmartin
BrewMaster

3.45/5  rDev +17.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance: 8.4 ounce bottle brewed in Ceres, CA...interesting. I picked this one up BevMo in Chino Hills today for $4 something a bottle. The beer pours very thick. It looks like used motor oil. Dark chocolate syrup brown. No head and no carbonation are observed. When looking at it like wine, it has nice legs. Swirling brings no head. Lots of sediment in chunks the size of sesame seeds.

Smell: Very fragrant. Even without putting my nose near the glass I can smell rich chocolate and some vinous notes. As I pull the sniffer closer I smell some soy sauce and lots of chocolate syrup in the nose. It smells terribly sweet and has a mild toasted ending to the scent. As the smell lingers it has a dried, over-ripe fruit scent of plums, dates, and figs. I like the aroma.

Taste & Mouthfeel: Very sweet and syrupy. Grape molasses, chocolate, whole grain bread, port, cherry, plum, dates, and a bunch of other flavor overwhelm and coat my mouth. Wow. This is an intense beer. Amid the strong sweetness and chocolate there is a distinct fruitiness that even contributes to the texture..or perhaps the texture adds to the flavor. I have mixed feelings about this beer. It is cloying, but once the sweetness backs off, the flavors are complex and interesting for the last two-thirds. Lots of grape, toasted sugar, and chocolate. To their credit, I don't taste any alcohol in the beer. That is a great accomplishment at 17% ABV.

Drinkability: This is such an intense and syrupy beer, there's no way that the drinkability could be high. You can't drink more than one of these and the flavors are just too intense at points. I would imagine that reducing this beer with some spices would make a great sauce for a filet mignon. I say this because this beer is a lot like a port wine. I love port, and I liked this beer, but the gritty grape flavor just isn't great with the chocolate flavors. Just my opinion though.

03-25-2006 02:41:13 | More by BrewMaster
Ieatlambfries

4.03/5  rDev +37.5%

I reviewed this beer a few years ago. I didn't like it at all. I came to the conclusion that I had either gotten a bad bottle, my palette was not developed enough, or it just plain sucked.

Two years later I realize my palette just was not ready. I know this because this review is from the same bottle, which is a "97." Served in a brandy snifter.

Appearance is dark brown and leaves an oily film on the glass when swirled.

I still detect a hint of soy sauce in the smell, but beyond that there is a dried cherry aroma. It's reminiscent of brandied cherries.

The taste is quite complex. Very port like. Upfront taste of cherries aged in brandy. Dried fruit, mostly raisons. I'm suprised how much this resembles a port. The finish is rich earthy coffee and cocoa. A slight hint of warming alcohol when you exhale.

Mouthfeel is again reminiscent of a port. Nothing like a beer, which is as it should be.

Drinkability I put at 3 only due to the richness of flavor and high abv. I can not see consuming more than 2 small servings of this.

An excellent after diner drink. I can see drinking this instead of a port or cognac. I'm glad I saved this one and tried it again.

03-20-2006 03:31:13 | More by Ieatlambfries
ommegangpbr

3.18/5  rDev +8.5%

This brew makes an impression, that's for sure; this bottle is the 95 vintage if I'm reading the bottle correctly.
Swirling it around in my goblet, the word "viscous" somes to mind. A good long washing was necessary after I was done. Not a bubble left. I could smell this from across the room... potent begins to describe it.
Very difficult to be objective with something like this. Dense raisin juice, port, sherry, cooking wine, soy sauce... all these come to mind. Very very difficult to drink at first but it got easier to drink as time went on.
A beer experience, that's for sure. Definately not bland and boring. I'm glad I got to try some.

03-18-2006 04:22:08 | More by ommegangpbr
tmd44

2.8/5  rDev -4.4%

i must say i had mixed feelings about the triple bock. i had heard good things, and some bad things. the appearance was quite intriquing as it was black as night just about. the smell was interesting however i could sense the soy sauce feeling that many had talked about. the taste was surprising. it was very malty and sweet. not too bitter but a small amount towards the finish. i could sense a mixture of fruityness. overall, not terrible but somewhat enjoyable. the mouthfeel was quite thick and syrupy, definately hints of maple syrup as the label suggests. i would definately not lable this as a session beer. however, after a good dinner, perhaps something steak, it is definately excellent as a desert finish or something to polish off your dinner along w/ a nice stilton cheese. definately worth the 5 dollars i payed for an 8 ounce bottle, even as just an experiment. must purchase another and cellar it. overall, good job jim koch. you are truly a brewing mastermind. keep up the goodwork.

03-14-2006 05:37:14 | More by tmd44
Gagnonsux

2.48/5  rDev -15.4%

No information on my bottle as to the bottling date. Triple Bock is a opaque dark brown color with no head whatsoever. Body is thick and syrupy, so syrupy that it leaves trails of sludge on the insides of my glass. Aroma has an odd dark malt smell, I can't quite place it, with plenty of alcohol smell mixed in as well. Taste has a syrupy sweetness, too thick and cloying for my tastes, and is coupled with a strong alcoholic bite. A roasted chocolate flavored finish is a highlight of an otherwise bad expirience. As for drinkability, I'll try my second bottle after it's aged a few more years.

03-14-2006 01:10:27 | More by Gagnonsux
shroompod

3.63/5  rDev +23.9%

Served refrigerator cold , poured whole bottle in an Orval chalice.Very dark , no head. I can see legs running like a wine. theirs a slight separation of the solids, or possibly the alcohol separating from the beer? Never seen that before in a beer.

I can smell the alcohol above anything else. Some plum/cherry/fruity smells come through , about a foot away from my nose.

Taste is sweet , very little hop bite. Comes across like diluted hard liquor, or a fortified wine. Tastes like raisins, plums , cherries , with a little soy sauce thrown in.

Drinking the whole bottle was somewhat tough. I noticed a good amount of sediment on my last swallow (dark , kinda like whats left over on a French press).

I can't say I won't be drinking this one again, as I got another in the cellar. I'll drink it in another 10 years or so. Overall the freakiest beer I've ever tried.

03-11-2006 23:58:08 | More by shroompod
Matthew

Connecticut

2.55/5  rDev -13%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.5

Pours a thick syrupy dark blackish color. No head or carbonation.
Thick pungent alcohol, licorice, dried raisons in the nose.
Wow....sooo sweet tasting almost too sweet. Very strong alcohol, some slight dark fruit flavor but hard to pick out over the sweetness and alcohol.
Thick sticky mouthfeel, very thick.
Not very drinkable....

03-07-2006 02:38:10 | More by Matthew
BeerManDan

1.88/5  rDev -35.8%

This is a "Super Bock". That is, it's super dark dark brown in color with no foam, super thick and syurpy. It has a super roasted malt aroma with a super smell of alcohol also. The taste is super sweet roasted malts on the verge of sicking. Not really worth the price and what a super dissapointment!!!

03-07-2006 00:48:00 | More by BeerManDan
scooter231

2.2/5  rDev -24.9%

This beer looks intimidating. Dark, thick, no bubbles of safety. Such a small, innocent little bottle- but I doubt this is at ALL innocent. Nose is way, way potent, I can smell it from feet away. Dark fruits, and alcohol. Good LORD the potency.

Taste is... wow. Alcoholic and... dang. Raisins, dark fruits. This is going to take FOREVER to get through- and I'm sharing it with someone! Seriously, it's going to take weeks. I'm sipping this like 1/4 teaspoon at a time. This is not for the weak... I, apparently, am weak. I just got my ass kicked by this. All 8 sips I was able to take.

03-05-2006 05:45:02 | More by scooter231
Frozensoul327

1.02/5  rDev -65.2%

Vintage 1995. This is the worst beer I have ever had. Hands down. The only redeeming character is the color; pitch black, and almost appealing. No head, no carbonation. Aroma of ass and soy sauce. Some rotting cherry and dark fruit notes. Not good. Taste was horrible. One sip and it had to go down the drain. Not at all tolerable. It was like drinking soy sauce, bloody urine and ink all at once. Mouthfeel was quite penetrating; the flavors quickly dominated the palate and left little room for salvation. Had a kind of vinegar quality to it. Drinkability - nil. You can have it, i'll stick to more traditional beers.

THE BLOODHOUND FACTOR: Do you really think I'd ever subject my dogs to this stuff?!

02-27-2006 01:51:31 | More by Frozensoul327
lackenhauser

Maryland

3.95/5  rDev +34.8%

Vintage 1994-I bought 2 bottles the week this came out. 12 years later here we are! Black in color. No noticeable carbonation level. Rather average in appearance. The aroma is quite a different story. Oak and sherry combine in a huge assault on the nose. Very, very vinuous. Licorice and anise notes. Flavor is much the same. Terrific sherry going on here. Very slight alcohol notes considering the abv. Not as sugary sweet as I have been led to believe. Very nice mouthfeel-well balanced body vs flavor. I have always enjoyed this brew. Its a true sipper. I have said that about quite a few beers but this one for sure. Not as drinkable as a World Wide Stout. The sherry can get a little tedious at times. Definately a must try at least once. Was my undoing at the Extreme Beer Fest in 2004.

02-20-2006 01:45:21 | More by lackenhauser
Erdinger2003

Iowa

2.88/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours no head at all, but smooth looking and placid. Color is black, but dark brown at the edges. It looks very thick and dark. Smell is very heavy with a chocolate malty smell with a little pepper as well. I can't get past the chocolate smell. The taste kicked my butt at first, I was felled. There is strong chocolate, plum, and coffee flavors. The taste is very spicy, I let it sit on my tongue and it bit me.

02-13-2006 17:24:50 | More by Erdinger2003
Samuel Adams Triple Bock from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)