Samuel Adams Triple Bock - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Triple BockSamuel Adams Triple Bock

poor

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

American Strong Ale |  17.50% ABV

Though the little cobalt bottles still decorate the shelves today, this beer only had 3 vintage releases; 1994, 1995, and 1997. Brewed with two row malted barley, water, Noble hops and yeast, along with maple syrup, it was then aged several months in oak whiskey barrels before being bottled. At the time it was considered the world's strongest beer, and a precursor of today's Extreme Beers.

(Beer added by: Todd on 01-10-1998)
View: Beers (128) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Triple Bock Alström Bros
Rastacouere

Quebec (Canada)

1.8/5  rDev -38.6%

Still reddish brown, nice legs. Hugely oaky soy sauce aroma paired with bitter vegetables and something herbal making me think of a green bamboo stick. Big rubber notes, strong alcohol flavors, extremely woody bitterness. Oily, slick palate, cocoa powder and pure vanilla and licorice onslaugth ensures a highly cloying finish. Unpleasant.

03-08-2005 00:38:28 | More by Rastacouere
cardigan

1.25/5  rDev -57.3%

As others have said: gorgeous packaging. Lovely bottle, attractive script... quite nice.

But also as others have said, this is one horrid concoction.

Imagine, if you will, half a cup of strong, black, chocolate-flavored coffee, chilled. Imagine that you top it up with soy sauce.

This, then, would be the triple bock.

And nearly as startling as the revolting taste and soy-sauce aroma is the fact that this brew has no head whatsoever. Not a bubble. I ranked it a 2 rather than a 1, however, because its color is quite nice.

I love Samuel Adams brews, generally, but good gravy, BAs... don't drink this.

02-16-2005 02:00:26 | More by cardigan
sabrills70

4.22/5  rDev +44%

Being unique as this beer is, it is hard to review as there is nothing comparable. 1995 vintage. Pours a jet black with no carbonation or lacing. Nice legs though. From the moment I opened the bottle the first huge smell I got was of a sweet soy sauce. After bringing the brandy snifter to my nose I detected the maple, vanilla and plums. There is an alcohol presence, but I found it to be somewhat subtle as all of the other aromas help to cover it up. The first sip is hard to describe as there is so much happening here.Not much of a malt presence but a very sweet maple flavored soy sauce with out the satiness. Big roastiness with some vanilla and chocolate overtones. It sounds gross but its not, it is simply the best way to describe it. The after taste is of a sweet malt roastiness with some raisin and prune characteristics. Upon tasting more alcohol smell came out. It is syrupy and slick. Rich and multi layered. Do not attempt to drink the whole bottle in one sitting, that is not its intention. Drink it out of a snifter 2 to 3 ounces at a time - it is much more enjoyable that way. A truly unique and very good beer.

01-22-2005 22:28:15 | More by sabrills70
RockyTopHeel

3.73/5  rDev +27.3%

1995 Reserve.

Dark, dark, DARK chocolate brown with no carbonation whatsoever. This looks like a swirling backwater and smells thick, with tones of licorice, maple syrup, and dark, alcohol-soaked caramelized fruits.

Very bizarre in the mouth, feeling more like melted molasses than a beer. The complete derth of bubbles contributes to the highly viscous, thick beer. Up front, sweet licorice, syrup, and rum slide slickly across the tongue, backed up by some smoke, charcoal, and hops, and a final burn of alcohol that grows in warmth, like sip of brandy.

Difficult to drink, but supremely complex. This seems like a once in a lifetime type deal, but I'm enjoying it this once.

01-14-2005 01:09:44 | More by RockyTopHeel
cncbofh

Colorado

3.98/5  rDev +35.8%

Bottle dated: 1995

As promised by the brewers - poured with no carbonation and darker than dark darkness on a dark night in a dark room. Held up to a bright flourescent light and verified - opqaue. Just black.

Not syrupy when poured but has definite substance.

Immediate smells of soy sauce, worcestershire sauce, prunes, vanilla, oak and spicy beef stew. I was very very afraid.

Tipped the snifter ever so carefully to my mouth and took a sip. A warm port feel with a very present alcohol covered my tongue. Soon a vanilla and dried prune flavor overwhelmed me. I held back a reflex to start chewing. Finish was sweet and warm.

I finished the full bottle so it wasn't until after a full recovery that I could write this review today. My notes slowly get sloppy and the unreadable. Beware. This is a heavy hitter. I appreciate Sam Adams going outside the borders of what we all consider beer and making this delectable treat.

01-05-2005 21:20:04 | More by cncbofh
ncbrewerbun

2.85/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

A Christmas present from my brother -- a 1994 vintage that he has been celaring for 10 years. He had an ounce or so, my brother-in-law had an ounce or so, my dad tried a sip, and that left the rest for me and a good friend.

This elixir poured out like bubbling crude...black gold...Texas tea. There was a light ring of bubbles around the edge of the glass, but ever-so-slight.

The aroma is amazing! It's sherry-like. There's hazelnut, chocolate, dark fruits (plumb, raisin), vanilla, coffee, and oh boy is there alcohol.

The flavor is just too intense for anything past a few simple sips. I kept wondering if I just didn't have the kind of palate to appreciate what I was experiencing here. But, then, I've certainly appreciated some other very fine and unusual beers. The cloying sweetness is just too much.

Everything about this beer is huge...and that includes the mouthfeel. This beer is past full-bodied. It's chewy.

Overall, an interesting experience. I'm glad I had a chance to try this, but once is enough for me. (Don't know where I'd get another bottle, anyway.)

01-03-2005 00:58:07 | More by ncbrewerbun
bditty187

Nebraska

4.5/5  rDev +53.6%

1995 Reserve. I’ve been cellaring this beer for over three years waiting for 2005. Ten years sounded about right.

Served at room temperature.

Shiny, black in hue with very slight dark brown (with a kiss of coppery-amber) influences around the edges of the glass. I only poured a few ounces into a small snifter. The liquid looked great but there was no head, not even a stray bubble. Obviously there was no lacing. I realize it was brewed with the idea there wouldn’t be. Still, I have to evaluate this beverage like it is a beer. Maybe I’m a fool but a lack of foam equates to an average looking beer. Its dull when compared to other beers. In reality this beer is not comparable and I won’t make any further comparisons. The nose is very powerful. Huge potency, this is the strongest smelling bouquet I have ever encountered. Sweet like maple syrup infused with prunes, raisins, and whisky. Soy sauce. There are big jolts of chocolate with firm suggestions of leather, vanilla, and figs. Alcoholic. It is warm but in a cozy way, not hot like The Beast. The nose shows amazing craftsmanship, kudos to BBC! I love what I smell; it is amazing yet I’m a bit timid to sip it. I have too. I’m compelled. The nose is so damn deep. Frightfully amazing! The palate is freaking enormous. There is considerable sweetness; I’ve never tasted a beer like this one before. Unparalleled complexity, various huge flavors bounce around my mouth. From the start to the middle the key players are soy sauce, cough syrup, molasses, rich chocolate sauce, Vermont maple syrup, prunes, whisky, raisins, figs, vanilla, leather, and so much more. I am shocked. Stunned. Then… and then, there is the finish. Oh my. Smoky, it has a sausage taste to it, woody. It is akin of a Rauchbier at the end, one that is on steroids! Overall the palate is warm and cozy with lovely sweetness that produces a truly comforting drink. It’s not hot. I’m impressed. 17.5% abv? Could have fooled me. This beer attacks my tongue with a thunderous force yet I’m not overwhelmed, I can only handle it in small amounts though. In that sense then I can’t call it drinkable, I mean the palate is amazingly complex, unbelievably so… still, I’m not sure I need to drink this beer again, anytime soon. I will update this review in the future. I suspect the “drinkability” score will improve. I will learn. It will teach me. It seems to be full in body. There is no carbonation. Smooth, filling mouthfeel with a smack of rawness at the swallow... its an eye-opener! Perfect. This is beyond beer. This beer is amazing. Yet I don’t really love it. Maybe I’m just overwhelmed. Maybe I’m a wussy. I will finish my bottle, in time. I will keep my bottles of 1997 in the cellar. I will buy more as this beer will age forever. I highly recommend everybody try this beer. It is truly unique. Wow…

01-02-2005 17:25:02 | More by bditty187
Pegasus

3.68/5  rDev +25.6%

Appearance: Deep, dark in color, quite opaque, with no head whatsoever.

Aroma: Devastatingly complex aroma of smoke, maple syrup, earth, dark fruit, and sweet alcohol.

Taste, Rich dark fruits, maple syrup, chocolate, sweet alcohol, and vinous, wood notes reminiscent of Port.

Mouth feel: Quite thick and syrupy, with a smooth cognac-like feel.

Drinkabilty/notes: More like a cognac or brandy than a beer. A remarkable beer whose legacy lives on as the exorbitantly expensive Utopias. Bottles of this are occasionally offered on eBay for $10 or so, get one while you can. A fascinating beer that should be tried at least once.

01-01-2005 19:54:56 | More by Pegasus
watermelonman

2.2/5  rDev -24.9%

This poured to a very dark brown with no head or carbonation at all. There's no lace either.

The smell is extremely strong, leading in to the molasses as well as the alcohol contained within. Molasses, syrup, and raisin all come out in the taste. It's strikingly complex and sophisticated, yet unappealing.

Certainly a unique concoction, I probably won't have this one again.

12-13-2004 12:46:48 | More by watermelonman
RoterTeufel

2.68/5  rDev -8.5%

Pours out black with no bubbles, thick & syrupy. Smells of raisins, a hint of semi-sweet choc? You can definitely smell the alcohol in this one. Tasted it cold & warm: go cold w/ this one, the alcohol is very overpowering in this one. Tastes of more raisins than anything else, except for the alcohol. Mouthfeel is nice, thick, syrupy & smooth... the way I want a barleywine. Drinkability: struggled to finish the tiny bottle, need I say more?

12-09-2004 02:33:07 | More by RoterTeufel
swamiswamu

Indiana

3.63/5  rDev +23.9%

There isn't much like this. At first blush, it smells like rotten fruit and maple syrup. I let it sit in a cordial glass and the smell evened out eventually. Of course no head, this being a 9 year old brew, (1995 vintage). I taste it and it is strongly reminiscent of port made with maple syrup. Best tasting ever? no. Most complex? quite possibly. This is a one of a kind. It isn't something I'd like ot have often, but it is more than worth a shot if you can get your hands on some.

12-07-2004 00:43:24 | More by swamiswamu
hero27

3.63/5  rDev +23.9%

Picked up a few bottles of Triple Bock at the local HyVee Wine & Spirits in Cedar Falls, Iowa..

Appearance: Comes in a beautiful 8.45oz blue glass bottle with brilliant gold signature lettering. Pours into the glass an ominous, reddish-black color. Consistency of blood, as crazy as it sounds. The consistency is obviously thicker than most, and it tints the glass as it touches the sides. No carbonation, no head, no movement of any kind...a dark, still, viscous liquid.

Smell: Aroma is of raisin, molasses, prunes, chocolate, maple syrup, vanilla, soy sauce..etc, etc.. you name it. May be offensive to some, because if you're expecting to smell your typical "beer", you've got another thing coming.

Taste: Quite complex and I can actually taste a lot of flavor without the alcohol completely masking everything. Raisins dominate the taste.. woody, roasted flavors mixed with chocolate.. Tastes more like a fruity soy sauce or meat marinade than beer.. ...and then the alcohol hits. This is one strong beer. That's an understatement. To be quite honest, it seems much more like liquor than beer. No head, no carbonation, and over 35 proof...yikes.

Mouthfeel: Slick, full mouthfeel. Definitely a sipping brew if there ever was one.

Drinkability: I drank approximately half the bottle and then corked it and kept it in the fridge overnight before polishing off the rest. It is meant to be sipped and the 8.45oz. bottle may seem small, but it's certainly enough for one person.

Overall, it is one of the most complex, strong, compelling, and intimidating beers I have had to date. It can easily be one of those beers you either love or hate..and while it is highly complex and extremely unique, it's high price & low drinkability mean it is something to try and either enjoy or lend perspective.

11-30-2004 23:00:57 | More by hero27
cro250klr

4.03/5  rDev +37.5%

First off I've got to say I scored this bottle for $8. At a buck an ounce, and that's a lot for a beer, this is a much better deal than the Adams Chocolate Bock that cost me $22. With more than three times the alcohol as the Chocolate, I can't see downing much more than 8 oz. anyway. I had two Oerbiers prior to this and a friend and I then split the bock. The Oers were already doing their thing so I don't know if this will be a verifiably objective review but here goes.
If Coors, Miller, Corona, Bud or the like are your thing call 911 before you pop the cork. This is potent shit. I've had stronger (Worldwide and 120 min. IPA), but this stuff set me back a notch. Is this really beer? It's more like wiskey or cognac mixed with soy sauce. The bottle says it's made with maple syrup but I really couldn't taste it. I got Kikkoman soy mixed with rotten fruit, some kind of coffee, cough medicine ( ? ) and God only knows what else. There's no head, no carbonation and nothing hiding the alcohol. If you sniff this long enough you'll probably get a buzz. It took a half an hour to make it through the four ounces. This may sound sadistic but I liked this stuff. It warmed my belly and made me forget the world for a while. I took a bottle home and I'm saving it for Christmas or whenever we get our first snowfall.
For most people, the aroma, mouthfeel, drinkability, aftertaste and alcohol may be a bit much. Your best bet would be to split a bottle with seven friends. Everybody does a shot glass. It's only an ounce each, but you'll still have bragging rights that you had 'The Bock of all Bocks'. This is definitely not for everyone. However, those of you who are into trying any and every beer on the planet should have this one marked down on your 'beers conquered' list.

11-17-2004 18:29:49 | More by cro250klr
Ellbert

3.23/5  rDev +10.2%

Appearance: Obviously there is no head on this beer as it is flat to begin with. This makes it kinda boring I guess. It does have some nice legs (wine terms).

Smell: The smell was very much like soy sauce. I didn't believe the reviews unil I smelled it myseld. Soy all the way.

Taste: This is an aquired taste. I found it to be very very very sweet but intersting. This is a beer that you take a long time to drink and only take small sips of. If you don't drink it this way you will not like it at all. There was really no hops. Mostly malt with a lot of residual sugars. Alcohol played a part in the taste but not much.

Mouthfeel: Syrupy...

Overall: mostly gimik but there is something that this beer has to offer. A lot of aging would probably do this one good.

Remember don't drink this one to drink, drink this one to think.

11-14-2004 06:21:22 | More by Ellbert
mhexum

Iowa

2.13/5  rDev -27.3%

The smell is the best part of this beer, like very rich, sweet, soy sauce. Yet like soy sauce it might smell good, but drinking it is just too powerful. The taste is overwhelming to the point that any flavor that might be there just doesn't come through. The aftertaste definitely reveals the maple syrup. Despite the taste it is worth trying as it is truly unique and comes in a beautiful bottle.

11-11-2004 06:43:08 | More by mhexum
GDMFSOB

3.8/5  rDev +29.7%

This beer was hard to understand at first but I think I get it now.
This brew is dark black and as thick as molasses with a sweet, smokey nose. It tastes like a cross between overbrewed coffee, chocolate and rich maple syrup. The mouthful is very full and the aftertaste will stay with you all night. If you're going to enjoy this beer you have to think of it as less of a beer and more of an afterdinner cordial. Certainly not a session beer but it definitely compliments a session if you have a sip or two here or there to cleanse the palate in between brews. The individuality of this brew in itself is enough to warrant purchasing a bottle or two.

11-07-2004 01:22:12 | More by GDMFSOB
beerceller99

Louisiana

1.68/5  rDev -42.7%

1995 8.5 oz. bottle. Pours a dark brown color with chunks of the cork floating around. Zero head, zero carbonation. Smells of molasses, soy sauce. Has the viscosity of cough syrup.
taste is sulfer molasses with a bit of malted chocolate. The flavors can't hide the alcohol, probably make it less bearable.

Over all this tastes like Jagermeister mixed with cough syrup. If you want to call this stuff beer it's a very bad one.

10-10-2004 19:55:58 | More by beerceller99
67cuda

Colorado

1.78/5  rDev -39.2%

I wish I had chosen something else for my first beer, as I must admit that I truly did not enjoy this one... I must say, the bottle is gorgeous, reminding me of a fine wine, and I think the inclusion of the easily replaced stopper is a great idea, as this beer really seems to be more meant for consumption in multiple sittings... Anyway, the first thing that I noticed upon opening it, was the immediate aroma of soy sauce.. Yech.. I will admit I haven't tried this style of beer before, but to me, all it really tasted like was very poor soy sauce, possibly mixed with poorly brewed coffee... I could hardly stand to swallow it.. The color is interesting though, its dark enough that I would never have guessed the bottle was blue! I'd recommend that one tries this beer for themself, as it seems to be a beer that you either really like or really dislike...

09-24-2004 05:15:20 | More by 67cuda
bigbeerdrinka

Germany

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Well here we go.. After hearing a lot about this product, I found a single bottle left in Marty's and just had to pick it up.. On the back of the bottle there is the code 95 A 3497.. I'll look up in old forum posts later as to what year this was brewed in.. Consumed on 9/16/04.. And now for the review:

This brew pours an absolute motor oil consistency with a deep dark mahogony color that looks pitch black once completely in my glass. This brew leaves absolutely no head or lace, and does show any signs of carbonation. Aromas show off a big strong blast of alcohol (which it should considering its 17.5% ABV), and raw notes of toffee and bittersweet chocolate. Flavors to this brew and amazingly complex and at first a bit hard to handle.. but the more and more I try, the more and more this brew turns out to be absolutely amazing. Initial flavors to this brew start off sweet and strong, with an alcohol note that lets you know right away that this brew is big.. There are tones of bittersweet chocolate, caramels and toffees, followed by a woody, almost port like (without the sweetness) like flavor. Following there is a hint of coffee beans in the mix with some vanilla like flavors, and yet more alcohol.. The finish on this brew is absolutely beautiful, showing off flavors of sambucca drenched whole coffee beans, a burst of powerful vanilla, and just a finishing sweetness that actually lets this brew be drinkable. Overall an amazing offering though there is no proper category for this brew... A must try for those who have never tried, and can handle a brew that is more like a fine cognac or whisky..

09-17-2004 03:07:21 | More by bigbeerdrinka
mynie

Indiana

2.88/5  rDev -1.7%

This is my second try with a high-alcohol beer; the first time was at a party years ago and I was too drunk to remember whether or not I enjoyed whatever it was that I drank, I just remembered that it was really strong.

This comes in an absolutely beautiful bottle and pours a thick, very dark red. The consistency of blood, actually. Kind of pretty, in a way, and I mean that without any goth implications.

Smells like sour soy sauce--like a really strong, old port. This isn't a horrible smell, mind you, just not what I was expecting. Not very nice.

Tastes much better than it smells. Very sweet with some sour mixed in, and there is a definite maple syrup aftertaste. This would make for a good dessert, like a mead. As a matter of fact, I would say that this tastes more like a good mead than anything else, only with really nice sour tones.

It's kind of slimey, but full. Not something that you'd want to pound, of course. I couldn't see myself drinking more than three ounces or so at a time.

09-17-2004 02:30:35 | More by mynie
ChrisBowers

3.28/5  rDev +11.9%

Interesting... very interesting. 1997 vintage. This is not a brew for the timid. I don't quite know if this qualifies as beer, except for the fact that it is produced by the same method. This is an aperetif, without a doubt. Not that beers can't be aperetifs too. Pours thick, black and syrupy. Heavy alcohol notes in the aroma with some ripe fruit, candied sugar and rasin smells. Taste at first is harsh with lots of alcohol, quite sweet. It then redeems itself as it smooths out in the finish, with heavy maple sugar and chocolate notes. Its just too sweet and overpowering to drink more than 2-3oz in a sitting. I split my bottle up over 3 days.

09-15-2004 00:54:58 | More by ChrisBowers
fdrich29

4.13/5  rDev +41%

Beautiful 8.45 fl. oz. midnight blue bottle with gold writing "Sam Adams Triple Bock" One of the nicest looking bottles I've ever seen.

No date on this bottle and rumor has it that means it's from 1997. I tried a '97 in '97 well before I appreciated world class beers and did not care for it. I have one bottle I have kept since then, although it has been through different temperatures and alternated between being stored upright and on it's side. Tonight I bought two more, one for saving and one for reviewing tonight.

I used my BeerAdvocate.com tasting glass for the review. Looks like liquid midnight in a glass with no head. Smells sugary sweet, fruit, figs, raisons, quite complex. Alcohol is also present. Tastes oaky and strongly of figs. Alcohol rushes throughout the palate. Chocolate shows up at the end of the sip and is most welcome.

I firmly believe this is something every BA needs to try at least once to maintain their standing with the site. It's that kind of beer.

09-14-2004 04:43:01 | More by fdrich29
Dmann

4.8/5  rDev +63.8%

What and exceptional creation! I have heard so many opinions both ways on this one and I was allmost scared to try it...allmost :) This one poured a real dark brown color with no hint of carbonation or head. It reminded me of a nice port or sherry. The smell exploded as soon as it left the bottle. Wonderfully complex with a sweet malty aspect, a slight maple syrup scent and brown sugar as well. The taste was unlike any beer I've ever had for sure with a very sweet malty flavor mixed with a healthy dose of dark chocolate and molassis. The flavor reminded me alot of marcella wine, but much better with the added chocolate and smokey characteristics. Not something to drink all the time for sure, but pull this one out once in awhile and enjoy.

09-12-2004 10:40:56 | More by Dmann
clvand0

Kentucky

2.2/5  rDev -24.9%

This beer came in a ~7.5oz blue bottle and corked. Very pretty bottle, but no vintage date. It pours dark red/brown colors with no head and no carbonation - reminds me of black molasses. The aroma smacked me in the face and said, "smell me byatch". Very strong aroma - maple syrup, strong alcohol, waaay strong. The flavor was more strong than the aroma. Wow. I consider myself a malt lover, but this had way too much malt character for me. Has a certain sweetness and a syrup/molasses texture. Very complex. Regretfully (whimper), this was too much for me. First beer I've had to pour out in a long time, and it was only 8oz. Every sip gave me the shiver I get when taking a shot of tequila. Whoah.

09-05-2004 05:49:22 | More by clvand0
ViveLaChouffe

Georgia

4.05/5  rDev +38.2%

Recently sampled from the 1994 vintage

Pours a rich ruby brown. no carbonation, so no head but has good legs in place of the lace. Smells oaky, like a port. Maple sugar, sweet, rounded caramel and vanilla.

Taste is sweet and oaky. The maple syrup qualities dominate but the vanilla kicks in to complement. Sweet and rich with molasses undertones and a light alcohol burn. Sticky and chewy on the tongue with an oaky aftertaste that lasts forever. Not the most drinkable brew you'll ever have (I enjoyed it about 3 oz. at a time) but certainly a unique experience. I always enjoy this one.

09-03-2004 02:35:06 | More by ViveLaChouffe
Samuel Adams Triple Bock from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)