Samuel Adams Triple Bock - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Triple BockSamuel Adams Triple Bock

poor

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

American Strong Ale |  17.50% ABV

Though the little cobalt bottles still decorate the shelves today, this beer only had 3 vintage releases; 1994, 1995, and 1997. Brewed with two row malted barley, water, Noble hops and yeast, along with maple syrup, it was then aged several months in oak whiskey barrels before being bottled. At the time it was considered the world's strongest beer, and a precursor of today's Extreme Beers.

(Beer added by: Todd on 01-10-1998)
View: Beers (129) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Triple Bock Alström Bros
clvand0

Kentucky

2.2/5  rDev -24.9%

This beer came in a ~7.5oz blue bottle and corked. Very pretty bottle, but no vintage date. It pours dark red/brown colors with no head and no carbonation - reminds me of black molasses. The aroma smacked me in the face and said, "smell me byatch". Very strong aroma - maple syrup, strong alcohol, waaay strong. The flavor was more strong than the aroma. Wow. I consider myself a malt lover, but this had way too much malt character for me. Has a certain sweetness and a syrup/molasses texture. Very complex. Regretfully (whimper), this was too much for me. First beer I've had to pour out in a long time, and it was only 8oz. Every sip gave me the shiver I get when taking a shot of tequila. Whoah.

09-05-2004 05:49:22 | More by clvand0
ViveLaChouffe

Georgia

4.05/5  rDev +38.2%

Recently sampled from the 1994 vintage

Pours a rich ruby brown. no carbonation, so no head but has good legs in place of the lace. Smells oaky, like a port. Maple sugar, sweet, rounded caramel and vanilla.

Taste is sweet and oaky. The maple syrup qualities dominate but the vanilla kicks in to complement. Sweet and rich with molasses undertones and a light alcohol burn. Sticky and chewy on the tongue with an oaky aftertaste that lasts forever. Not the most drinkable brew you'll ever have (I enjoyed it about 3 oz. at a time) but certainly a unique experience. I always enjoy this one.

09-03-2004 02:35:06 | More by ViveLaChouffe
oelergud

3.45/5  rDev +17.7%

Black body with dark wood colors at the edges, no head or carbonation.
The nose is sweet with sweet on top of it. Maple syrup, brown sugar and molasses with a spicy kick to it.
Taste is very sweet as well. Black cherry mixed with syrup and wood. Very complex palate. Multiple undertones of sugars and some fruit flavors. Walnuts and hazelnuts present.
Sweet lingering after taste dominated by sweet walnut.
Decent mouthfeel, not too thick but definitely not thin either.
Not a beer you can drink alot of due to the overwhelming sweetness and the high ABV.
An enjoyable drink no doubt, is it a beer? I'm not so sure.

-Oelergud

08-21-2004 23:52:28 | More by oelergud
HardTarget

4.2/5  rDev +43.3%

No date, but a 95A on the bottom of the bottle, but referring to Uncle Jimbo’s quote “According to the Sam Adams rep, the 1994 and 1995 vintages have the yeard on the back label, but the 1997 does not. There are only 3 vintages.” I’m thinking I have the 1997. Wow, how often do you find 7 year old beer on the shelf? Please don’t answer that.
Aroma: Oh Momma! It has an alcoholic maple syrup aroma with almost paint thinner intensity. The alcohol is massive with a bit of a sickly sweet maple wrapped up in it. Somewhat of a vinegar/soy sauce smell as well with some wood characteristics. Other reviewers noted burning rubber, and raisin wine, not too far off. Very powerful.
Appearance: Completely flat, no head or carbonation. Very black with clear black edges and colossal legs, the beer seems to ooze down the sides of the glass.
Flavor: A taste explosion. Malt, malt and more malt. Dark, heavy, black hearted malt. It builds until the point that it approaches sickly sweet, then oddly, the alcohol cuts in and thins out the taste with a wisp of maple before it quickly disappears. Black fruit notes: black cherry, black dates, black raisins, black sugar, I’m not sure how you make black sugar, but they did. Very mild aftertaste lingers a bit, but a mere shadow of the monster that spawned it. All in all, extremely sweet. I found the aftertaste built as I worked my way, carefully, through half of the tiny bottle. I probably started a bit too cold.
Mouthfeel: Maple syrup thick consistency, an extremely heavy body. I think it remained solid long after I swallowed. A hefty alcohol burn as well.
Overall Impression: This is like the essence of beer. Condensed beer. If you’ve seen “Time Bandits” – “Don’t touch it, it’s pure evil!” Hard core, heavy duty malt monster. Small sips, recovery time between, like drinking whiskey. I’m going to have to get some food to pair with it just to cut it down a bit. It is enjoyable, but VERY intense. I can see this as a “Love or Hate” beer. I’m drifting toward the love side, but more from a respect of the brewer’s art. The taste is beyond what we mortals call beer. Drinkability?!? I’m working hard to finish the half bottle I poured, but enjoying the climb. Would I drink it again? Sure, I’m glad I got some more bottles, but with only 3 years of vintage available, it’s pointless to get hooked. A little goes a long way, and this beer builds lasting memories.

08-19-2004 03:28:01 | More by HardTarget
Hibernator

3.43/5  rDev +17.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 2.5

Sam Adams Triple Bock: No date labeled. 1997?

This beer comes in dark blue 8.45 oz blue bottle. I served it in a brandy snifter. Poured about a 4 oz sample served into the glass. I paid $4.95. I had this once many years ago, but my I remember very little from a review standpoint.

I bought this cold, in a singles cooler right next to a Sam Adams Lager and Harpoon Ale. I kept it cool since I purchased it, but let it sit for 35 minutes or so to warm up around room temperature.

The appearance looks syrupy with ruby red highlights. Almost looks like a merlot, but there is a thin brown rimming on top.

Aroma is powerful and right in front. It looks and smells syrupy. Sugar, soy sauce, brown sugar and alcohol whiffs.

This is complex in flavors and diverse. It's sweet and sugary with molasses thickness. During one sip, I tasted a chocolate and mocha flavors.

I have nothing to compare this to. It's an interesting and unique brew that has a place in the right setting.

The beer has a good port-like quality to it, but at the end of the day it's a struggle to put down.

08-13-2004 22:59:56 | More by Hibernator
ithacabaron

3.48/5  rDev +18.8%

1997 Vintage, tasted August 2004.

Pours a deep and viscous brown into my brandy snifter at room temperature. A few red highlights here and there. Don't even think about carbonation here -- it's not gonna happen. When swirled around, shows it has great legs, which is promising.

Aromas are of strong melted carob, with lesser notes of oak, dates, fortified wine, and cognac.

Taste is very, very unique. Here the woodiness comes forth, with several tastes of rot -- but this is not from the cork, which was clean. Instead, it is more of the kind of rot that you find after you sniff a well saturated plank that's been at the back of a barn for decades -- but in a good way, if that helps. The saltiness that so many other reviewers have noted seems to have faded away significantly to a sweeter character. Unfortunately, there is so much else happening here in terms of secondary tastes, that it all tends to get a bit muddied.

Mouthfeel is good, as in it's what you would find in a good brandy, considering how relatively low the ABV is here, that is surprising.

Drinkability suffers a lot here, but this was never supposed to be drank by the gallon.

All in all, not a bad experiment, pulled off admirably. Put it this way: it's something all BAs should try at least once, and then, some of them will want to have it a few times more.

Thanks to gueuzegeek for the bottle!

08-08-2004 02:17:11 | More by ithacabaron
IrishRedRock

3.6/5  rDev +22.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 2.5

1997 edition. I'll say that this still needs more time. Luckily I have another bottle which I will review in a few years. The bottle is a definite keeper, beautiful in its presentation.

Pours without a trace of carbonation, a sticky deep brown viscous liquid. The aroma overwhelms the senses. Raisins, prunes, whiskey, port, and pure alcohol flood the nose. The mouthfeel is what is to be expected from a brew with no carbonation, rich and thick.

The taste, while good, is still a tad sharp and detracts from the overall drinkability of this one. It took me a good long time to get to the bottom of just over 8 ounces of this, and even then I didnt know if I would make it. Rich maple syrup and chocolate syrup flavors are abundant, along with some smoky, woody notes. The alcohol is quite evident and I was definitely blowing some warmth after just a few sips of this.

Interesting to say the least, though as of now this '97 hasn't quite hit its prime. A few more years (I'm thinking my 25th birthday) should do the trick.

07-21-2004 17:19:13 | More by IrishRedRock
cypressbob

United Kingdom (Northern Ireland)

8oz blue bottle, with laser engraved gold lettering, beautifully packaged

Pours with a dark burgandy/brown body, thick and viscous, no head

Smell, very sweet, big dried fruit, a few off flavours

Taste, sickly sweet, tart bitterness and maderia like quality, so much goin on it just overpowers, strong sweet alcoholic flavour and a coffee aftertaste, soy sauce like aftertaste, salty

Still too strong , too sweet, too over the top

07-11-2004 20:25:28 | More by cypressbob
connecticutpoet

Connecticut

3.7/5  rDev +26.3%

I sampled a 1994 bottle fresh, and these comments are from my tasting notes.

This beer poured a very dark brown, and it was cloudy. There was no head, not even a hit of it.

The aroma was of red wine and oak. Hints of maple and molasses.

The taste was many-layered and complex. I detected maple, toffee, wine-like fruitiness, oak, and bitter chocolate. A good blend, very well done, but it had to be sipped rather slowly. The aromas became more wine-like as it warmed.

This was an excellent beer, but it was one to be savored slowly, not too "drinkable". I could only get through half the bottle at one sitting, and it took over an hour.

06-29-2004 23:44:33 | More by connecticutpoet
CSquared

3.08/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

8.45 oz bottle

Ninjaworm was kind enough to donate a 1995 bottle for tasting. Comes in an elegant blue bottle sealed with a cork stopper and foil wrapping. When I peeled off the foil, dried beer is underneath indicating the cork stopper leeked, I guess. As I pulled the stopper out, the cork breaks. I try a corkscrew to remove the lower half, but the remaining piece crumbles into the bottle.

Appearance: The beer pours a dark black color with no head or lacing whatsoever. It resembles a dark liqueur.

Aroma: The aroma is huge on this beer. It smells sweet like molases. Dark malt aromas very present too. No hop presence.

Taste: The maple syrup it was brewed with is immediately noticeable. As it gets to the back of the tongue, the alcohol becomes present and is quite warming going down. Never tried this beer fresh, but if any hop flavors were there originally, they have diminished after 9 years.

Mouthfeel: There is little to no carbonation. The gravity is quite high, but it is silkly smooth without the carbonation.

Drinkability: This is truly a sipping beer. I've had several other big high alcohol beers like this, but they have been much more drinkable. The heaviness of the beer, as well as, the highly present alcohol concentration makes this beer go down quite slowly. Should have the rest of glass finished in a few more hours.

06-25-2004 23:52:23 | More by CSquared
adamsrp

4.25/5  rDev +45.1%

You have to try this more than once or twice. It goes better on a cold day as an alternate to schnapps or whatever. The look is unique, almost black. The smell is exceptional, with chocolate, maple and burnt sugar very heavy. It is very sweet, so be prepared. It's heave in the mouth and should be swished like a wine. I wish I could still find some!!

06-03-2004 18:19:54 | More by adamsrp
LuckySevens82

2.35/5  rDev -19.8%

vintage 1994.
Thanks to JTFest for this sample.

Uncorked, and noting some of the other reviews here, was surprised that there is no damage whatsoever to the cork.

Poured a very small amount into a wide-mouthed wine tasting glass that I found a few years back. Almost syrupy, very dark looks kind of like maple syrup (which is to be expected). You can smell the beer from quite a distance and whoo boy is it powerful.

Smell is very good. Bourbon, port, alcohol, coffee, raisins, maple syrup, and chocolate. How in the heck you can get all of those aromas into a single bottle is amazing. I have to try this.

yikes. This isn't like any other "beer" I have ever tasted. There is a distinct alcohol heat from the second it hits your tongue to the time it is swallowed. Bourbon is upfront. There is some sweetness, from the maple syrup in there, but mostly this tastes very much like teryaki sauce (I know someone has said this prior to me, but it's true). Now, I'm always into trying new things, but a teryaki sauce flavored beer isn't really one of them. Nevertheless, I soldier on. There has to be more flavor to it than this. There is a note of coffee and chocolate, but the odd flavors kind of dominate.

The alcohol plays a major part in this one, but I don't think that it can really save it. I love scotch, whiskey and bourbon, but I can't say that I am a fan of this beer. I had an extremely hard time trying to finish the sample I poured myself.

As someone stated, this could possibly make an excellent maranade for a steak or even chicken if one were so inclined. As a lover of the stiff drink, I can hardly see myself sitting down with a snifter of Triple bock in my future.

Note: I will recork and save for a later date, hoping that another couple of years will mellow the flavor somewhat. But already at 10 years, I don't know how much longer it would take.

05-11-2004 01:49:35 | More by LuckySevens82
PartyHatjo

3.93/5  rDev +34.1%

interesting...to put it in one word. It pours like tar black with brown around the edge of the glass. I wouldn't be surprised to find dinosaur fossils in here. No head at all...but it would be odd if there was in the uncarbonated brew. Swirling the goblet, leaves a light brown film on the glass.

Smell is of burnt chocolate and maple. And this is something prevalent in the taste. On first sip, it tastes like liquid chocolate chip pancakes. If you've ever had malted flour pancakes--that's the stuff. Coffee creeps a bit into the aftertaste. Basically tastes like breakfast in a bottle. Acidity creeps into the mouthfeel, giving it a bit of an undesirable tangyness. The stuff coats the throat like Nyquil, without the bad taste.

Drinkability is definitely low for me. Despite its tastiness, I had trouble finishing the bottle. Sweetness is overpowering, and there is little bitterness to balance. Alcohol hits you, too--definitely a beer to drink as a nightcap.

04-20-2004 13:07:02 | More by PartyHatjo
Jacobob10

1.75/5  rDev -40.3%

I saw this in a local liquor store and, in my quest to sample as many Samuel Adams brews as possible, thought I would give it a shot. The best thing about this "beer" is the cobalt blue bottle. I will put it up on my shelf when I am done drinking the rest of it. And hopefully it will remain up there longer than my memories of what was in the bottle will last in my head. As soon as the bottle was cracked, a huge aroma poured out of it. But it was so repulsive, I didn't want to get close enough to it to describe its character. If there's anything good about this beer other than the bottle, it's that the taste is better than the smell. Tastes like a combination of soy sauce, burnt wood, raisins, and motor oil. After a 2 oz serving of this, I'm ready to call it quits. If you are thinking of buying this because you like the Double Bock, don't. They are nothing alike. Very disappointing.

04-19-2004 13:14:14 | More by Jacobob10
dippy

4.2/5  rDev +43.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

If beer is liquid bread then this is a burnt waffle smothered in maple syrup.
Very complex, thick with no carbonation.
Aromatic, sweet scent largely due to the ABV.
Poured very thick, no head, syrupy. It coats the glass as I swirl it around.
I am thinking prunish taste, maybe raisins?. Definitly taste the syrup they used also a little molasses.
One of these at a time and chugging is not recomended. I drank mine over the course of an hour letting it warm to room temp.
I found some bottles of the '95, and this was the oldest beer I've had to date. I would compare it to a port.
Amazing.
Delicious. Kudos.

04-08-2004 20:19:41 | More by dippy
Gueuzedude

Arizona

3.85/5  rDev +31.4%

Pours a still, black color with amber notes to it. Intense concentrated malt aromas with notes of port, soy sauce, Worcester sauce, sherry, bacon and alcohol. All of the aromas are concentrated and quite intense. The beer itself is thick and viscous. There are interesting rich notes of balsamic, port, raising, and concentrated soy sauce in the taste. This beer hides the alcohol quite well.

This is definitely an interesting take on a beer, especially considering how cutting edge this beer once was. I really wonder how this beer will age. I think that I will perhaps try my other bottles at 15 years of age, though I could guess that 25 may be more realistic, and that 50 would not really even be a problem for this beer. Definitely a sipping brew. Though this beer is not a beer I would want to drink even on a yearly basis, it is interesting and a beer that pushed the "me too" high alcohol beers to another level.

04-08-2004 02:37:56 | More by Gueuzedude
Afterburner

3.9/5  rDev +33.1%

This bottle has no vintage. I am informed that this means it's a 1997 vintage, but I can't find any confirmation of that on the Samuel Adams website.

Appearance: Well, it doesn't look like much of a beer. It has no head or lacing at all. It's almost completely still. Very dark, rich brown color.

Smell: Very enticing smell. Rich chocolate aroma predominates, with hints of passion fruit and a faint trace of mint. A very earthy, almost musty smell. No hop character at all.

Taste: Wow. The chocolate hinted at by the aroma is delivered in spades on the palate. You're hit with the chocolate flavor almost immediately. The strong flavor of passion fruit hits you mid-palate. The finish is exceptionally long and drawn out, consisting of a noticable alcohol burn and strong overtones of single-malt scotch.

Mouthfeel: Personal preference, but I would prefer a small amount of carbonation. That said, the mouthfeel is very straightforward. It's like sipping a good single-malt. Silky and viscous.

Drinkability: I'm always kind of reluctant to rate the drinkability. To me, "drinkability" suggests the ability to quaff one after the other. The beers which are the most drinkable are rarely the most interesting beers, and the most interesting beers aren't always the most drinkable.

Be that as it may, I can't really imagine having more than one of these in a given drinking session. But don't let that stop you. This is an outstanding beer, and I heartily recommend it.

04-02-2004 01:25:49 | More by Afterburner
Tballz420

3.93/5  rDev +34.1%

Little bluish bottle, no date, so im assuming 97
My 200th review

This beer is completly black, even when held to the light. No head. The scent is chocolatey, sugar, carmely, all sorts of sweet scents, and has a sharp alcohol twang to it. As for the taste it is like drinking maple syrup that has an injection of alcohol in it. Wood tones, no carbonation (thus the no head, i assume) Very thick and full mouthfeel, again like syrup.

I definately see why some love this and some hate it. I think its almost more suited for shots (jk). Definately a sipper though.

03-29-2004 05:06:04 | More by Tballz420
SheepNutz

Kentucky

3.68/5  rDev +25.6%

1997 vintage: 8.45oz. bottle poured into a tulip-style glass. It pours a deep black color with no carbonation. Of course since there's no carbonation, there's no lacing. The smell is full of molasses, maple syrup, brown sugar, and rum aromas. It really fills and opens the nose. The taste is rather unique. It's very malty and sweet, with more molasses and brown sugar coming through. The alcohol burns the throat on the way down, almost like taking a shot of Jager to me. The mouthfeel is super thick, and coats the mouth and lips. The drinkability lacks severly due to the explosive flavor and very high alcohol content. Still a very unique brew that I believe will only get much better with aging.

03-24-2004 05:15:39 | More by SheepNutz
ark57

4.35/5  rDev +48.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

1997 - I think this is either a love or hate beer. It pours a brownish-black and has no head. In fact it is still. It doesn't look like much, but I think it is an exceptional and interesting beer. The body is oily, rich, and complex. The aroma and tastes are pretty much the same. I taste chocolate, maple, mint, vanilla, oak, and a slight whiskey/smokiness. A wonderful savoring brew.

03-23-2004 17:39:30 | More by ark57
Hefe

Maryland

3.48/5  rDev +18.8%

Tasted on 3/21/04 from cobalt blue bottle that is not dated with a vintage so I'm guessing the 97 vintage

Appearance: 10w40. Deep brown in the center straying to toffee on the rim. Zero carbonation.

Smell: Prunes, raisins, caramelized brown sugar, soy sauce.

Taste: Oak/Cedar with tones of bittersweet chocolate and a bit of heat on the finish. Very vinous.

Mouthfeel: Viscous, but the lack of carbonation makes this seem thinner than it actually is.

Drinkability:Too powerful, too complex, too much to even consider more than a little at a time.

03-22-2004 01:48:04 | More by Hefe
Fish113d

3.5/5  rDev +19.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 1.5

Well, I decided to enjoy this little wonder with my BA buddy sulldaddy, lastnight as we sat and enjoyed the March Madness!

I poured half of the 95 vintage Triple Bock the bottle, served at 48 degrees, into a snifter, and right away I got a little "scared"....the true question was this: "who switched our beer with motor oil?" which came from sulldaddy....we both laughed and knew we were in store for a beatdown by good ol' Sammy A. As we poured, there was absolutely no head on this beer whatsoever in my glass. I noticed at the end of the bottle, the remnance dripped from the bottle much like the last drippings of a syrup bottle, and I could already get the hints of smelling soy sauce, which I felt to be strange from a beer. As I "took a closer look" I also got the hints of chocolate (rasberry), maple syrup, and burnt brown sugar. Looking in fear, I noticed that absolutely NO light got through this beer at all! Upon the first sip, after letting warm for 10 minutes first to get more flavors, I got the major taste of soy sauce, and the rasberry chocolate and maybe some maple syrup came through as well. Although it had great mouthfeel and was a very interesting beer, this is a beer to open and share with about 5 people at the same time...it is a SIPPING beer for real beer drinkers. It was almost too thick and sweet to drink much more than 5 oz. However, I bet it would go good with Chinese food or as a marinade on some good ol' steak or burgers!!!! YEE HAW!!!

03-19-2004 14:57:40 | More by Fish113d
sulldaddy

Connecticut

3.2/5  rDev +9.2%

This sample started chilled but warmed to room temp by the finish of the tasting. I sampled with fish113d tonite. This is a 1995 vintage.

The beer pours pitch black into my snifter with absolutely no lite escaping the glass. I get zero head even with a vigorous pour, some wine like legs are present upon swirling. Aroma is chocolate, burnt sugar and a strong soy sauce pungent scent.
Also a huge alcohol hint on this one.
First sip WOW! Holy Thickness! real syrupy texture with no carbonation. The beer has an almost chewy feel to it. The flavor is salty soy sauce on the sides of my tongue very rich and sweet chocolate, molasses and burnt sugar also. Strong alcohol presence as well. Big warming factor as it slides down my gullet. not very drinkable but a super brew to share with someone!

03-19-2004 06:36:53 | More by sulldaddy
Quaffer

Nevada

3.6/5  rDev +22.9%

As everyone knows, this comes in a pretty, cobalt blue, 8.45 oz.(why that amount?), corked bottle. Many years ago, I had a bottle of either the '94 or '95. I will try to put those past recollections of this beer aside and rate it according to the beer infront of me tonight. Sampled at room temperature (68 °F).

Appearance: I swear that I have seen this stuff come out of the oil pan of my car. This beer pours very viscous and is pure black as it sits collected in the snifter. No light makes it through the main body of the liquid, but a little does eek its way through around the circumference of the glass on the surface of the brew. There, the light shows the beer to be a murky, reddish-brown hue. Swirling the snifter causes a coating effect on the side of the glass just like that of a high-alcohol wine. Light passing through this thin sheen of beer gives it an almost blood-like appearance, except duller, browner, and rustier looking. There was, of course, no carbonation.

Smell: I could smell this beer literally halfway across the room. Of course, the maple tried to jump out at me and flood my olfactory receptors (I don't care much for maple), but I tried to get past that and hunt out the other aromas that were present. There was a lot of depth and a lot of variance on the nose. Along with the aforementioned and accursed maple aroma (which, in reality, wasn't really THAT strong) was oak, red wine, vanilla, light alcohol, plums, cherries, and maple (oh, did I already say that). Occasionally, the smell became very vinous and alcohol laden, but most of the time, it was pleasant. Not very beer-like in nature, but still enjoyable to sniff.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied and not nearly as heavy as the appearance suggested. Lightly coating, but not overly so, and very smooth. Of course, the smoothness was expected with no carbonation.

Taste: The flavor wasn't overly complex, but it did have a lot of depth. Upfront was a combination of brown sugar, strong cherries and plums (very vinous in nature), and musty oak. These continued on for a long time, until some alcohol kicked in on the finish to join them. Well into the aftertaste, the sweetness developed into something that was reminiscent of maple syrup, but it was late enough into the game that I didn't find it distracting. (Oh, yeah. Did I mention that I don't like maple?) So, to recap, the flavor was mainly just red-wine like flavors, a lot of brown sugar, and some maple syrup. There were a few notes of vanilla and the aforementioned oak, but that was it.

Well, I must say that I did like this "beer" much better this tasting than the last time that I had it. I wasn't overwhelmed by the maple (Oh, yeah. Did I mention that I despise maple?) like I remember being before. The aroma was very pleasant and complex. The flavor, while not being as complex as the smell, had a nice depth to it. I will probably go ahead and pick up a few more bottles of this to lay down for a long, long time to see how they develop over the years.

This is definitely a sipping beer, meant to be imbibed in small amounts. The 8.45 oz. bottle will easily last me two or three nights.

02-20-2004 04:51:03 | More by Quaffer
JimsArcade

2.23/5  rDev -23.9%

(1995 Reserve) As recommend on the accompanying card, I only pour a few ounces of the Triple Bock at room temperature. It pours like soy sauce, and looks exactly the same. There is absolutely no carbonation to speak of. Swirling the liquid in a large burgundy glass, a thin yellow coating remains on the glass.

Even sitting two feet away from the glass, the aroma is very strong. It is very sweet with hints of very old wine and balsamic vinegar without the bite. The waves of the aroma come and go so infrequently that they seem to have a life of their own. Bringing it to the nose, it is almost overpowering. It is sickly-sweet, with hints of molasses and vanilla. Bringing it back through the nose into the back of the mouth, it already feels like I am drinking it: the smell is that strong and lingering. I think the best way to describe it is "pungent." I am actually concerned about what I am about to drink

The first taste is surprising: quite different from its aroma. It's still sweet, but definitely a bit sour. It's like drinking raisin juice, if such a thing existed. The mouthfeel is very odd, since I've never had a beer that wasn't carbonated: it has the consistency of thin maple syrup. It also tastes thinner than it smells. The aftertaste brings back hints of its aroma, which is not entirely pleasant. As I continue to drink, it now seems to get a little salty, bringing me back to my initial impression of its similarity in appearance to soy sauce. There is absolutely no hint of alcohol, which is surprising considering how much is contained in there. Also, if hops were used to brew this, they sure are hidden well. Since it was initially served at room temperature, it finishes exactly as it started.

I remember the hype when the Samuel Adams Triple Bock was introduced around 10 years ago. Having finally tried it, it is a mixed bag. It has an interesting taste, definitely the most malty-sweet brew I have ever had, but the other characteristics make this hard to recommend wholeheartedly.

02-11-2004 05:11:12 | More by JimsArcade
Samuel Adams Triple Bock from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)