1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

Samuel Adams Triple Bock - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Triple BockSamuel Adams Triple Bock

poor

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

American Strong Ale |  17.50% ABV

Though the little cobalt bottles still decorate the shelves today, this beer only had 3 vintage releases; 1994, 1995, and 1997. Brewed with two row malted barley, water, Noble hops and yeast, along with maple syrup, it was then aged several months in oak whiskey barrels before being bottled. At the time it was considered the world's strongest beer, and a precursor of today's Extreme Beers.

(Beer added by: Todd on 01-10-1998)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Triple Bock Alström Bros
3.63/5  rDev +24.3%

Picked up a few bottles of Triple Bock at the local HyVee Wine & Spirits in Cedar Falls, Iowa..

Appearance: Comes in a beautiful 8.45oz blue glass bottle with brilliant gold signature lettering. Pours into the glass an ominous, reddish-black color. Consistency of blood, as crazy as it sounds. The consistency is obviously thicker than most, and it tints the glass as it touches the sides. No carbonation, no head, no movement of any kind...a dark, still, viscous liquid.

Smell: Aroma is of raisin, molasses, prunes, chocolate, maple syrup, vanilla, soy sauce..etc, etc.. you name it. May be offensive to some, because if you're expecting to smell your typical "beer", you've got another thing coming.

Taste: Quite complex and I can actually taste a lot of flavor without the alcohol completely masking everything. Raisins dominate the taste.. woody, roasted flavors mixed with chocolate.. Tastes more like a fruity soy sauce or meat marinade than beer.. ...and then the alcohol hits. This is one strong beer. That's an understatement. To be quite honest, it seems much more like liquor than beer. No head, no carbonation, and over 35 proof...yikes.

Mouthfeel: Slick, full mouthfeel. Definitely a sipping brew if there ever was one.

Drinkability: I drank approximately half the bottle and then corked it and kept it in the fridge overnight before polishing off the rest. It is meant to be sipped and the 8.45oz. bottle may seem small, but it's certainly enough for one person.

Overall, it is one of the most complex, strong, compelling, and intimidating beers I have had to date. It can easily be one of those beers you either love or hate..and while it is highly complex and extremely unique, it's high price & low drinkability mean it is something to try and either enjoy or lend perspective.

hero27, Nov 30, 2004
4.03/5  rDev +38%

First off I've got to say I scored this bottle for $8. At a buck an ounce, and that's a lot for a beer, this is a much better deal than the Adams Chocolate Bock that cost me $22. With more than three times the alcohol as the Chocolate, I can't see downing much more than 8 oz. anyway. I had two Oerbiers prior to this and a friend and I then split the bock. The Oers were already doing their thing so I don't know if this will be a verifiably objective review but here goes.
If Coors, Miller, Corona, Bud or the like are your thing call 911 before you pop the cork. This is potent shit. I've had stronger (Worldwide and 120 min. IPA), but this stuff set me back a notch. Is this really beer? It's more like wiskey or cognac mixed with soy sauce. The bottle says it's made with maple syrup but I really couldn't taste it. I got Kikkoman soy mixed with rotten fruit, some kind of coffee, cough medicine ( ? ) and God only knows what else. There's no head, no carbonation and nothing hiding the alcohol. If you sniff this long enough you'll probably get a buzz. It took a half an hour to make it through the four ounces. This may sound sadistic but I liked this stuff. It warmed my belly and made me forget the world for a while. I took a bottle home and I'm saving it for Christmas or whenever we get our first snowfall.
For most people, the aroma, mouthfeel, drinkability, aftertaste and alcohol may be a bit much. Your best bet would be to split a bottle with seven friends. Everybody does a shot glass. It's only an ounce each, but you'll still have bragging rights that you had 'The Bock of all Bocks'. This is definitely not for everyone. However, those of you who are into trying any and every beer on the planet should have this one marked down on your 'beers conquered' list.

cro250klr, Nov 17, 2004
3.23/5  rDev +10.6%

Appearance: Obviously there is no head on this beer as it is flat to begin with. This makes it kinda boring I guess. It does have some nice legs (wine terms).

Smell: The smell was very much like soy sauce. I didn't believe the reviews unil I smelled it myseld. Soy all the way.

Taste: This is an aquired taste. I found it to be very very very sweet but intersting. This is a beer that you take a long time to drink and only take small sips of. If you don't drink it this way you will not like it at all. There was really no hops. Mostly malt with a lot of residual sugars. Alcohol played a part in the taste but not much.

Mouthfeel: Syrupy...

Overall: mostly gimik but there is something that this beer has to offer. A lot of aging would probably do this one good.

Remember don't drink this one to drink, drink this one to think.

Ellbert, Nov 14, 2004
2.13/5  rDev -27.1%

The smell is the best part of this beer, like very rich, sweet, soy sauce. Yet like soy sauce it might smell good, but drinking it is just too powerful. The taste is overwhelming to the point that any flavor that might be there just doesn't come through. The aftertaste definitely reveals the maple syrup. Despite the taste it is worth trying as it is truly unique and comes in a beautiful bottle.

mhexum, Nov 11, 2004
3.8/5  rDev +30.1%

This beer was hard to understand at first but I think I get it now.
This brew is dark black and as thick as molasses with a sweet, smokey nose. It tastes like a cross between overbrewed coffee, chocolate and rich maple syrup. The mouthful is very full and the aftertaste will stay with you all night. If you're going to enjoy this beer you have to think of it as less of a beer and more of an afterdinner cordial. Certainly not a session beer but it definitely compliments a session if you have a sip or two here or there to cleanse the palate in between brews. The individuality of this brew in itself is enough to warrant purchasing a bottle or two.

GDMFSOB, Nov 07, 2004
1.68/5  rDev -42.5%

1995 8.5 oz. bottle. Pours a dark brown color with chunks of the cork floating around. Zero head, zero carbonation. Smells of molasses, soy sauce. Has the viscosity of cough syrup.
taste is sulfer molasses with a bit of malted chocolate. The flavors can't hide the alcohol, probably make it less bearable.

Over all this tastes like Jagermeister mixed with cough syrup. If you want to call this stuff beer it's a very bad one.

beerceller99, Oct 10, 2004
1.78/5  rDev -39%

I wish I had chosen something else for my first beer, as I must admit that I truly did not enjoy this one... I must say, the bottle is gorgeous, reminding me of a fine wine, and I think the inclusion of the easily replaced stopper is a great idea, as this beer really seems to be more meant for consumption in multiple sittings... Anyway, the first thing that I noticed upon opening it, was the immediate aroma of soy sauce.. Yech.. I will admit I haven't tried this style of beer before, but to me, all it really tasted like was very poor soy sauce, possibly mixed with poorly brewed coffee... I could hardly stand to swallow it.. The color is interesting though, its dark enough that I would never have guessed the bottle was blue! I'd recommend that one tries this beer for themself, as it seems to be a beer that you either really like or really dislike...

67cuda, Sep 24, 2004
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Well here we go.. After hearing a lot about this product, I found a single bottle left in Marty's and just had to pick it up.. On the back of the bottle there is the code 95 A 3497.. I'll look up in old forum posts later as to what year this was brewed in.. Consumed on 9/16/04.. And now for the review:

This brew pours an absolute motor oil consistency with a deep dark mahogony color that looks pitch black once completely in my glass. This brew leaves absolutely no head or lace, and does show any signs of carbonation. Aromas show off a big strong blast of alcohol (which it should considering its 17.5% ABV), and raw notes of toffee and bittersweet chocolate. Flavors to this brew and amazingly complex and at first a bit hard to handle.. but the more and more I try, the more and more this brew turns out to be absolutely amazing. Initial flavors to this brew start off sweet and strong, with an alcohol note that lets you know right away that this brew is big.. There are tones of bittersweet chocolate, caramels and toffees, followed by a woody, almost port like (without the sweetness) like flavor. Following there is a hint of coffee beans in the mix with some vanilla like flavors, and yet more alcohol.. The finish on this brew is absolutely beautiful, showing off flavors of sambucca drenched whole coffee beans, a burst of powerful vanilla, and just a finishing sweetness that actually lets this brew be drinkable. Overall an amazing offering though there is no proper category for this brew... A must try for those who have never tried, and can handle a brew that is more like a fine cognac or whisky..

bigbeerdrinka, Sep 17, 2004
2.88/5  rDev -1.4%

This is my second try with a high-alcohol beer; the first time was at a party years ago and I was too drunk to remember whether or not I enjoyed whatever it was that I drank, I just remembered that it was really strong.

This comes in an absolutely beautiful bottle and pours a thick, very dark red. The consistency of blood, actually. Kind of pretty, in a way, and I mean that without any goth implications.

Smells like sour soy sauce--like a really strong, old port. This isn't a horrible smell, mind you, just not what I was expecting. Not very nice.

Tastes much better than it smells. Very sweet with some sour mixed in, and there is a definite maple syrup aftertaste. This would make for a good dessert, like a mead. As a matter of fact, I would say that this tastes more like a good mead than anything else, only with really nice sour tones.

It's kind of slimey, but full. Not something that you'd want to pound, of course. I couldn't see myself drinking more than three ounces or so at a time.

mynie, Sep 17, 2004
3.28/5  rDev +12.3%

Interesting... very interesting. 1997 vintage. This is not a brew for the timid. I don't quite know if this qualifies as beer, except for the fact that it is produced by the same method. This is an aperetif, without a doubt. Not that beers can't be aperetifs too. Pours thick, black and syrupy. Heavy alcohol notes in the aroma with some ripe fruit, candied sugar and rasin smells. Taste at first is harsh with lots of alcohol, quite sweet. It then redeems itself as it smooths out in the finish, with heavy maple sugar and chocolate notes. Its just too sweet and overpowering to drink more than 2-3oz in a sitting. I split my bottle up over 3 days.

ChrisBowers, Sep 15, 2004
4.13/5  rDev +41.4%

Beautiful 8.45 fl. oz. midnight blue bottle with gold writing "Sam Adams Triple Bock" One of the nicest looking bottles I've ever seen.

No date on this bottle and rumor has it that means it's from 1997. I tried a '97 in '97 well before I appreciated world class beers and did not care for it. I have one bottle I have kept since then, although it has been through different temperatures and alternated between being stored upright and on it's side. Tonight I bought two more, one for saving and one for reviewing tonight.

I used my BeerAdvocate.com tasting glass for the review. Looks like liquid midnight in a glass with no head. Smells sugary sweet, fruit, figs, raisons, quite complex. Alcohol is also present. Tastes oaky and strongly of figs. Alcohol rushes throughout the palate. Chocolate shows up at the end of the sip and is most welcome.

I firmly believe this is something every BA needs to try at least once to maintain their standing with the site. It's that kind of beer.

fdrich29, Sep 14, 2004
4.8/5  rDev +64.4%

What and exceptional creation! I have heard so many opinions both ways on this one and I was allmost scared to try it...allmost :) This one poured a real dark brown color with no hint of carbonation or head. It reminded me of a nice port or sherry. The smell exploded as soon as it left the bottle. Wonderfully complex with a sweet malty aspect, a slight maple syrup scent and brown sugar as well. The taste was unlike any beer I've ever had for sure with a very sweet malty flavor mixed with a healthy dose of dark chocolate and molassis. The flavor reminded me alot of marcella wine, but much better with the added chocolate and smokey characteristics. Not something to drink all the time for sure, but pull this one out once in awhile and enjoy.

Dmann, Sep 12, 2004
2.2/5  rDev -24.7%

This beer came in a ~7.5oz blue bottle and corked. Very pretty bottle, but no vintage date. It pours dark red/brown colors with no head and no carbonation - reminds me of black molasses. The aroma smacked me in the face and said, "smell me byatch". Very strong aroma - maple syrup, strong alcohol, waaay strong. The flavor was more strong than the aroma. Wow. I consider myself a malt lover, but this had way too much malt character for me. Has a certain sweetness and a syrup/molasses texture. Very complex. Regretfully (whimper), this was too much for me. First beer I've had to pour out in a long time, and it was only 8oz. Every sip gave me the shiver I get when taking a shot of tequila. Whoah.

clvand0, Sep 05, 2004
4.05/5  rDev +38.7%

Recently sampled from the 1994 vintage

Pours a rich ruby brown. no carbonation, so no head but has good legs in place of the lace. Smells oaky, like a port. Maple sugar, sweet, rounded caramel and vanilla.

Taste is sweet and oaky. The maple syrup qualities dominate but the vanilla kicks in to complement. Sweet and rich with molasses undertones and a light alcohol burn. Sticky and chewy on the tongue with an oaky aftertaste that lasts forever. Not the most drinkable brew you'll ever have (I enjoyed it about 3 oz. at a time) but certainly a unique experience. I always enjoy this one.

ViveLaChouffe, Sep 03, 2004
3.45/5  rDev +18.2%

Black body with dark wood colors at the edges, no head or carbonation.
The nose is sweet with sweet on top of it. Maple syrup, brown sugar and molasses with a spicy kick to it.
Taste is very sweet as well. Black cherry mixed with syrup and wood. Very complex palate. Multiple undertones of sugars and some fruit flavors. Walnuts and hazelnuts present.
Sweet lingering after taste dominated by sweet walnut.
Decent mouthfeel, not too thick but definitely not thin either.
Not a beer you can drink alot of due to the overwhelming sweetness and the high ABV.
An enjoyable drink no doubt, is it a beer? I'm not so sure.

-Oelergud

oelergud, Aug 22, 2004
4.2/5  rDev +43.8%

No date, but a 95A on the bottom of the bottle, but referring to Uncle Jimbo’s quote “According to the Sam Adams rep, the 1994 and 1995 vintages have the yeard on the back label, but the 1997 does not. There are only 3 vintages.” I’m thinking I have the 1997. Wow, how often do you find 7 year old beer on the shelf? Please don’t answer that.
Aroma: Oh Momma! It has an alcoholic maple syrup aroma with almost paint thinner intensity. The alcohol is massive with a bit of a sickly sweet maple wrapped up in it. Somewhat of a vinegar/soy sauce smell as well with some wood characteristics. Other reviewers noted burning rubber, and raisin wine, not too far off. Very powerful.
Appearance: Completely flat, no head or carbonation. Very black with clear black edges and colossal legs, the beer seems to ooze down the sides of the glass.
Flavor: A taste explosion. Malt, malt and more malt. Dark, heavy, black hearted malt. It builds until the point that it approaches sickly sweet, then oddly, the alcohol cuts in and thins out the taste with a wisp of maple before it quickly disappears. Black fruit notes: black cherry, black dates, black raisins, black sugar, I’m not sure how you make black sugar, but they did. Very mild aftertaste lingers a bit, but a mere shadow of the monster that spawned it. All in all, extremely sweet. I found the aftertaste built as I worked my way, carefully, through half of the tiny bottle. I probably started a bit too cold.
Mouthfeel: Maple syrup thick consistency, an extremely heavy body. I think it remained solid long after I swallowed. A hefty alcohol burn as well.
Overall Impression: This is like the essence of beer. Condensed beer. If you’ve seen “Time Bandits” – “Don’t touch it, it’s pure evil!” Hard core, heavy duty malt monster. Small sips, recovery time between, like drinking whiskey. I’m going to have to get some food to pair with it just to cut it down a bit. It is enjoyable, but VERY intense. I can see this as a “Love or Hate” beer. I’m drifting toward the love side, but more from a respect of the brewer’s art. The taste is beyond what we mortals call beer. Drinkability?!? I’m working hard to finish the half bottle I poured, but enjoying the climb. Would I drink it again? Sure, I’m glad I got some more bottles, but with only 3 years of vintage available, it’s pointless to get hooked. A little goes a long way, and this beer builds lasting memories.

HardTarget, Aug 19, 2004
3.43/5  rDev +17.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 2.5

Sam Adams Triple Bock: No date labeled. 1997?

This beer comes in dark blue 8.45 oz blue bottle. I served it in a brandy snifter. Poured about a 4 oz sample served into the glass. I paid $4.95. I had this once many years ago, but my I remember very little from a review standpoint.

I bought this cold, in a singles cooler right next to a Sam Adams Lager and Harpoon Ale. I kept it cool since I purchased it, but let it sit for 35 minutes or so to warm up around room temperature.

The appearance looks syrupy with ruby red highlights. Almost looks like a merlot, but there is a thin brown rimming on top.

Aroma is powerful and right in front. It looks and smells syrupy. Sugar, soy sauce, brown sugar and alcohol whiffs.

This is complex in flavors and diverse. It's sweet and sugary with molasses thickness. During one sip, I tasted a chocolate and mocha flavors.

I have nothing to compare this to. It's an interesting and unique brew that has a place in the right setting.

The beer has a good port-like quality to it, but at the end of the day it's a struggle to put down.

Hibernator, Aug 13, 2004
3.48/5  rDev +19.2%

1997 Vintage, tasted August 2004.

Pours a deep and viscous brown into my brandy snifter at room temperature. A few red highlights here and there. Don't even think about carbonation here -- it's not gonna happen. When swirled around, shows it has great legs, which is promising.

Aromas are of strong melted carob, with lesser notes of oak, dates, fortified wine, and cognac.

Taste is very, very unique. Here the woodiness comes forth, with several tastes of rot -- but this is not from the cork, which was clean. Instead, it is more of the kind of rot that you find after you sniff a well saturated plank that's been at the back of a barn for decades -- but in a good way, if that helps. The saltiness that so many other reviewers have noted seems to have faded away significantly to a sweeter character. Unfortunately, there is so much else happening here in terms of secondary tastes, that it all tends to get a bit muddied.

Mouthfeel is good, as in it's what you would find in a good brandy, considering how relatively low the ABV is here, that is surprising.

Drinkability suffers a lot here, but this was never supposed to be drank by the gallon.

All in all, not a bad experiment, pulled off admirably. Put it this way: it's something all BAs should try at least once, and then, some of them will want to have it a few times more.

Thanks to gueuzegeek for the bottle!

ithacabaron, Aug 08, 2004
3.6/5  rDev +23.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 2.5

1997 edition. I'll say that this still needs more time. Luckily I have another bottle which I will review in a few years. The bottle is a definite keeper, beautiful in its presentation.

Pours without a trace of carbonation, a sticky deep brown viscous liquid. The aroma overwhelms the senses. Raisins, prunes, whiskey, port, and pure alcohol flood the nose. The mouthfeel is what is to be expected from a brew with no carbonation, rich and thick.

The taste, while good, is still a tad sharp and detracts from the overall drinkability of this one. It took me a good long time to get to the bottom of just over 8 ounces of this, and even then I didnt know if I would make it. Rich maple syrup and chocolate syrup flavors are abundant, along with some smoky, woody notes. The alcohol is quite evident and I was definitely blowing some warmth after just a few sips of this.

Interesting to say the least, though as of now this '97 hasn't quite hit its prime. A few more years (I'm thinking my 25th birthday) should do the trick.

IrishRedRock, Jul 21, 2004

8oz blue bottle, with laser engraved gold lettering, beautifully packaged

Pours with a dark burgandy/brown body, thick and viscous, no head

Smell, very sweet, big dried fruit, a few off flavours

Taste, sickly sweet, tart bitterness and maderia like quality, so much goin on it just overpowers, strong sweet alcoholic flavour and a coffee aftertaste, soy sauce like aftertaste, salty

Still too strong , too sweet, too over the top

cypressbob, Jul 11, 2004
3.7/5  rDev +26.7%

I sampled a 1994 bottle fresh, and these comments are from my tasting notes.

This beer poured a very dark brown, and it was cloudy. There was no head, not even a hit of it.

The aroma was of red wine and oak. Hints of maple and molasses.

The taste was many-layered and complex. I detected maple, toffee, wine-like fruitiness, oak, and bitter chocolate. A good blend, very well done, but it had to be sipped rather slowly. The aromas became more wine-like as it warmed.

This was an excellent beer, but it was one to be savored slowly, not too "drinkable". I could only get through half the bottle at one sitting, and it took over an hour.

connecticutpoet, Jun 30, 2004
3.08/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

8.45 oz bottle

Ninjaworm was kind enough to donate a 1995 bottle for tasting. Comes in an elegant blue bottle sealed with a cork stopper and foil wrapping. When I peeled off the foil, dried beer is underneath indicating the cork stopper leeked, I guess. As I pulled the stopper out, the cork breaks. I try a corkscrew to remove the lower half, but the remaining piece crumbles into the bottle.

Appearance: The beer pours a dark black color with no head or lacing whatsoever. It resembles a dark liqueur.

Aroma: The aroma is huge on this beer. It smells sweet like molases. Dark malt aromas very present too. No hop presence.

Taste: The maple syrup it was brewed with is immediately noticeable. As it gets to the back of the tongue, the alcohol becomes present and is quite warming going down. Never tried this beer fresh, but if any hop flavors were there originally, they have diminished after 9 years.

Mouthfeel: There is little to no carbonation. The gravity is quite high, but it is silkly smooth without the carbonation.

Drinkability: This is truly a sipping beer. I've had several other big high alcohol beers like this, but they have been much more drinkable. The heaviness of the beer, as well as, the highly present alcohol concentration makes this beer go down quite slowly. Should have the rest of glass finished in a few more hours.

CSquared, Jun 26, 2004
4.25/5  rDev +45.5%

You have to try this more than once or twice. It goes better on a cold day as an alternate to schnapps or whatever. The look is unique, almost black. The smell is exceptional, with chocolate, maple and burnt sugar very heavy. It is very sweet, so be prepared. It's heave in the mouth and should be swished like a wine. I wish I could still find some!!

adamsrp, Jun 03, 2004
2.35/5  rDev -19.5%

vintage 1994.
Thanks to JTFest for this sample.

Uncorked, and noting some of the other reviews here, was surprised that there is no damage whatsoever to the cork.

Poured a very small amount into a wide-mouthed wine tasting glass that I found a few years back. Almost syrupy, very dark looks kind of like maple syrup (which is to be expected). You can smell the beer from quite a distance and whoo boy is it powerful.

Smell is very good. Bourbon, port, alcohol, coffee, raisins, maple syrup, and chocolate. How in the heck you can get all of those aromas into a single bottle is amazing. I have to try this.

yikes. This isn't like any other "beer" I have ever tasted. There is a distinct alcohol heat from the second it hits your tongue to the time it is swallowed. Bourbon is upfront. There is some sweetness, from the maple syrup in there, but mostly this tastes very much like teryaki sauce (I know someone has said this prior to me, but it's true). Now, I'm always into trying new things, but a teryaki sauce flavored beer isn't really one of them. Nevertheless, I soldier on. There has to be more flavor to it than this. There is a note of coffee and chocolate, but the odd flavors kind of dominate.

The alcohol plays a major part in this one, but I don't think that it can really save it. I love scotch, whiskey and bourbon, but I can't say that I am a fan of this beer. I had an extremely hard time trying to finish the sample I poured myself.

As someone stated, this could possibly make an excellent maranade for a steak or even chicken if one were so inclined. As a lover of the stiff drink, I can hardly see myself sitting down with a snifter of Triple bock in my future.

Note: I will recork and save for a later date, hoping that another couple of years will mellow the flavor somewhat. But already at 10 years, I don't know how much longer it would take.

LuckySevens82, May 11, 2004
3.93/5  rDev +34.6%

interesting...to put it in one word. It pours like tar black with brown around the edge of the glass. I wouldn't be surprised to find dinosaur fossils in here. No head at all...but it would be odd if there was in the uncarbonated brew. Swirling the goblet, leaves a light brown film on the glass.

Smell is of burnt chocolate and maple. And this is something prevalent in the taste. On first sip, it tastes like liquid chocolate chip pancakes. If you've ever had malted flour pancakes--that's the stuff. Coffee creeps a bit into the aftertaste. Basically tastes like breakfast in a bottle. Acidity creeps into the mouthfeel, giving it a bit of an undesirable tangyness. The stuff coats the throat like Nyquil, without the bad taste.

Drinkability is definitely low for me. Despite its tastiness, I had trouble finishing the bottle. Sweetness is overpowering, and there is little bitterness to balance. Alcohol hits you, too--definitely a beer to drink as a nightcap.

PartyHatjo, Apr 20, 2004
Samuel Adams Triple Bock from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)