Samuel Adams Triple Bock - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Triple BockSamuel Adams Triple Bock

poor

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

American Strong Ale |  17.50% ABV

Though the little cobalt bottles still decorate the shelves today, this beer only had 3 vintage releases; 1994, 1995, and 1997. Brewed with two row malted barley, water, Noble hops and yeast, along with maple syrup, it was then aged several months in oak whiskey barrels before being bottled. At the time it was considered the world's strongest beer, and a precursor of today's Extreme Beers.

(Beer added by: Todd on 01-10-1998)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Triple Bock Alström Bros
SheepNutz

Kentucky

3.68/5  rDev +26%

1997 vintage: 8.45oz. bottle poured into a tulip-style glass. It pours a deep black color with no carbonation. Of course since there's no carbonation, there's no lacing. The smell is full of molasses, maple syrup, brown sugar, and rum aromas. It really fills and opens the nose. The taste is rather unique. It's very malty and sweet, with more molasses and brown sugar coming through. The alcohol burns the throat on the way down, almost like taking a shot of Jager to me. The mouthfeel is super thick, and coats the mouth and lips. The drinkability lacks severly due to the explosive flavor and very high alcohol content. Still a very unique brew that I believe will only get much better with aging.

03-24-2004 05:15:39 | More by SheepNutz
ark57

4.35/5  rDev +49%

1997 - I think this is either a love or hate beer. It pours a brownish-black and has no head. In fact it is still. It doesn't look like much, but I think it is an exceptional and interesting beer. The body is oily, rich, and complex. The aroma and tastes are pretty much the same. I taste chocolate, maple, mint, vanilla, oak, and a slight whiskey/smokiness. A wonderful savoring brew.

03-23-2004 17:39:30 | More by ark57
Hefe

Maryland

3.48/5  rDev +19.2%

Tasted on 3/21/04 from cobalt blue bottle that is not dated with a vintage so I'm guessing the 97 vintage

Appearance: 10w40. Deep brown in the center straying to toffee on the rim. Zero carbonation.

Smell: Prunes, raisins, caramelized brown sugar, soy sauce.

Taste: Oak/Cedar with tones of bittersweet chocolate and a bit of heat on the finish. Very vinous.

Mouthfeel: Viscous, but the lack of carbonation makes this seem thinner than it actually is.

Drinkability:Too powerful, too complex, too much to even consider more than a little at a time.

03-22-2004 01:48:04 | More by Hefe
Fish113d

3.5/5  rDev +19.9%

Well, I decided to enjoy this little wonder with my BA buddy sulldaddy, lastnight as we sat and enjoyed the March Madness!

I poured half of the 95 vintage Triple Bock the bottle, served at 48 degrees, into a snifter, and right away I got a little "scared"....the true question was this: "who switched our beer with motor oil?" which came from sulldaddy....we both laughed and knew we were in store for a beatdown by good ol' Sammy A. As we poured, there was absolutely no head on this beer whatsoever in my glass. I noticed at the end of the bottle, the remnance dripped from the bottle much like the last drippings of a syrup bottle, and I could already get the hints of smelling soy sauce, which I felt to be strange from a beer. As I "took a closer look" I also got the hints of chocolate (rasberry), maple syrup, and burnt brown sugar. Looking in fear, I noticed that absolutely NO light got through this beer at all! Upon the first sip, after letting warm for 10 minutes first to get more flavors, I got the major taste of soy sauce, and the rasberry chocolate and maybe some maple syrup came through as well. Although it had great mouthfeel and was a very interesting beer, this is a beer to open and share with about 5 people at the same time...it is a SIPPING beer for real beer drinkers. It was almost too thick and sweet to drink much more than 5 oz. However, I bet it would go good with Chinese food or as a marinade on some good ol' steak or burgers!!!! YEE HAW!!!

03-19-2004 14:57:40 | More by Fish113d
sulldaddy

Connecticut

3.2/5  rDev +9.6%

This sample started chilled but warmed to room temp by the finish of the tasting. I sampled with fish113d tonite. This is a 1995 vintage.

The beer pours pitch black into my snifter with absolutely no lite escaping the glass. I get zero head even with a vigorous pour, some wine like legs are present upon swirling. Aroma is chocolate, burnt sugar and a strong soy sauce pungent scent.
Also a huge alcohol hint on this one.
First sip WOW! Holy Thickness! real syrupy texture with no carbonation. The beer has an almost chewy feel to it. The flavor is salty soy sauce on the sides of my tongue very rich and sweet chocolate, molasses and burnt sugar also. Strong alcohol presence as well. Big warming factor as it slides down my gullet. not very drinkable but a super brew to share with someone!

03-19-2004 06:36:53 | More by sulldaddy
Quaffer

Nevada

3.6/5  rDev +23.3%

As everyone knows, this comes in a pretty, cobalt blue, 8.45 oz.(why that amount?), corked bottle. Many years ago, I had a bottle of either the '94 or '95. I will try to put those past recollections of this beer aside and rate it according to the beer infront of me tonight. Sampled at room temperature (68 °F).

Appearance: I swear that I have seen this stuff come out of the oil pan of my car. This beer pours very viscous and is pure black as it sits collected in the snifter. No light makes it through the main body of the liquid, but a little does eek its way through around the circumference of the glass on the surface of the brew. There, the light shows the beer to be a murky, reddish-brown hue. Swirling the snifter causes a coating effect on the side of the glass just like that of a high-alcohol wine. Light passing through this thin sheen of beer gives it an almost blood-like appearance, except duller, browner, and rustier looking. There was, of course, no carbonation.

Smell: I could smell this beer literally halfway across the room. Of course, the maple tried to jump out at me and flood my olfactory receptors (I don't care much for maple), but I tried to get past that and hunt out the other aromas that were present. There was a lot of depth and a lot of variance on the nose. Along with the aforementioned and accursed maple aroma (which, in reality, wasn't really THAT strong) was oak, red wine, vanilla, light alcohol, plums, cherries, and maple (oh, did I already say that). Occasionally, the smell became very vinous and alcohol laden, but most of the time, it was pleasant. Not very beer-like in nature, but still enjoyable to sniff.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied and not nearly as heavy as the appearance suggested. Lightly coating, but not overly so, and very smooth. Of course, the smoothness was expected with no carbonation.

Taste: The flavor wasn't overly complex, but it did have a lot of depth. Upfront was a combination of brown sugar, strong cherries and plums (very vinous in nature), and musty oak. These continued on for a long time, until some alcohol kicked in on the finish to join them. Well into the aftertaste, the sweetness developed into something that was reminiscent of maple syrup, but it was late enough into the game that I didn't find it distracting. (Oh, yeah. Did I mention that I don't like maple?) So, to recap, the flavor was mainly just red-wine like flavors, a lot of brown sugar, and some maple syrup. There were a few notes of vanilla and the aforementioned oak, but that was it.

Well, I must say that I did like this "beer" much better this tasting than the last time that I had it. I wasn't overwhelmed by the maple (Oh, yeah. Did I mention that I despise maple?) like I remember being before. The aroma was very pleasant and complex. The flavor, while not being as complex as the smell, had a nice depth to it. I will probably go ahead and pick up a few more bottles of this to lay down for a long, long time to see how they develop over the years.

This is definitely a sipping beer, meant to be imbibed in small amounts. The 8.45 oz. bottle will easily last me two or three nights.

02-20-2004 04:51:03 | More by Quaffer
JimsArcade

2.23/5  rDev -23.6%

(1995 Reserve) As recommend on the accompanying card, I only pour a few ounces of the Triple Bock at room temperature. It pours like soy sauce, and looks exactly the same. There is absolutely no carbonation to speak of. Swirling the liquid in a large burgundy glass, a thin yellow coating remains on the glass.

Even sitting two feet away from the glass, the aroma is very strong. It is very sweet with hints of very old wine and balsamic vinegar without the bite. The waves of the aroma come and go so infrequently that they seem to have a life of their own. Bringing it to the nose, it is almost overpowering. It is sickly-sweet, with hints of molasses and vanilla. Bringing it back through the nose into the back of the mouth, it already feels like I am drinking it: the smell is that strong and lingering. I think the best way to describe it is "pungent." I am actually concerned about what I am about to drink

The first taste is surprising: quite different from its aroma. It's still sweet, but definitely a bit sour. It's like drinking raisin juice, if such a thing existed. The mouthfeel is very odd, since I've never had a beer that wasn't carbonated: it has the consistency of thin maple syrup. It also tastes thinner than it smells. The aftertaste brings back hints of its aroma, which is not entirely pleasant. As I continue to drink, it now seems to get a little salty, bringing me back to my initial impression of its similarity in appearance to soy sauce. There is absolutely no hint of alcohol, which is surprising considering how much is contained in there. Also, if hops were used to brew this, they sure are hidden well. Since it was initially served at room temperature, it finishes exactly as it started.

I remember the hype when the Samuel Adams Triple Bock was introduced around 10 years ago. Having finally tried it, it is a mixed bag. It has an interesting taste, definitely the most malty-sweet brew I have ever had, but the other characteristics make this hard to recommend wholeheartedly.

02-11-2004 05:11:12 | More by JimsArcade
ChimayMayDay

3.68/5  rDev +26%

Black bottle. Black liquid. Pure syrup. I needed pancakes. I needed waffles. There was no head, of course. Jim Koch says it's like port or cognac. I haven't had either, so I can't compare.

The smell is maple, but there is also chocolate and the aforementioned soy sauce, not enough to make me think of tuna rolls, however.

I took a big gulp first. Alcohol and more alcohol and then the syrup and the soy. Slight burning in the throat. I needed to sip and sip lightly afterward. The alcohol didn't overpower me after that, but I knew quickly that I would not be finishing all of it by myself.

I noticed mostly chocolate the rest of the way through. I wasn't used to this brew at all, and the oily mouthfeel was getting to me. This was an interesting change of pace from the wheat beers I had the weekend before. Like wine, it would be good to serve with food before dinner or to sip without food after dinner. It's not for pouring into a pint and gulping down at 9pm on a Tuesday.

02-11-2004 02:58:09 | More by ChimayMayDay
granger10

Wisconsin

4.35/5  rDev +49%

1995 vintage edition

This beer poured a really dark brownish-red color with basically no head, but what does one expect with such a high alcohol brew. It's texture seemed almost like sap to me. Upon the smell I note soy sauce and I can't get it out of my head. Loads of soy sauce. As it warmed the smell changed to syrupy waffles and finally to straight molasses. The taste blew my mind. Really thick and aggressive brew. Burnt charcoal flavor in it. A chalkiness takes form. Sweet syrup taste comes to mind. Some raisins are there mixed with chocolate. Alcohol is explosive and unrelenting. I love it! It took all my might to finish off the 8.45oz of this bottle because of the sheer thickness and alcohol in here but I will definitely be seeking this one out again. Tons of flavors (I can't even remember them all) and lots of complexity make this a beer worth remembering.

02-08-2004 22:08:41 | More by granger10
Chsyhkr

3.55/5  rDev +21.6%

Nectar of the gods or crankcase oil, that is what my brew club buddies think of this.

Deep mahogany to chestnut colored, still (not carbonated), and smelling of maple syrup, prunes, toffee, and a hint of chocolate.

The taste is alcohol, stewed fruits, sweet with just enough bitterness, and a slight chocolate character.

I don't know what the grain bill is on the thing, but the chocolate character could be left out and it would improve the drinkability immensely. More like a Samiclaus...

The still character throws most people, but that is one reason I like is so much. It is a brandy or grappa!

The corked bottle is nice, you can pour a little, cork it and put it up for a while. Two people would be hard pressed to drink one bottle at a sitting, much less one person!

Enjoy this novelty "Triple Bock", think of it more like a Brandy and enjoy!

02-01-2004 20:27:05 | More by Chsyhkr
oberon

2.38/5  rDev -18.5%

Known as fecal bock to my friends this beer is one I had high hopes for but was seriously disapointed in.Pours a pitch black with almost no head to speak of,aroma is a little nutty and raisiny with some sweet alcohol notes as well.Taste is harsh I have had a few beers higher in alcohol than this that were easier to drink its way to syrupy and medicinal just unpleasant.Well have the bottle tried it twice three years ago and now and I wont try it again.

01-24-2004 23:24:17 | More by oberon
Jarod

4.38/5  rDev +50%

Bottle year 1996
Given to me by my buddy Jamie in a small snifter glass.
Served room temperature

This beer came to me a pitch black thick molasses/black color that no light could possible pass through except on the edges, where there was a hint of cocoa brown coming through. No head was present. The aromas that came up from the glass were big and bold, lots of molasses, black coffee, plums, some sweet coffee, lots of dark chocolate, and a big warming alcohol. The flavors were just as big as the aromas, lots of dark fruits first hit your tongue (plums and prunes), then alcohol, then coffee, milk chocolate, some dark sweet malt, and more alcohol as it finished. Reminded me of a well old aged bottle of liquor. The body was thick, heavy and rich. Needless to say this is a sipping beer, and it takes some time to finish a small snifter. Very intense, and worth every sip of pleasure. I hope he saves some more so that we can drink in a few more years. A good treat, but would not want but only on special occasions.

01-21-2004 01:08:29 | More by Jarod
ADR

2.33/5  rDev -20.2%

Out of a bottle ('95 according to the server), Extreme Beer Fest 2004...

Pours out like a dark blood clot, no head, with coating properties. Now, the analysis. All these Triples are coming up on that 10 year age when they should start to resemble Sherry. So, is this like a good Sherry, or a Port, or a fine Bourbon, or a maple-enhanced Kahlua? I'd say as far from any of those as from beer. An aroma of frying rubber that's either off-putting and similar to airplane wing de-icer or immediately recognizable as "that's Triple Bock" at best. The flavor, almost equally as heavy -- is best compared to a burning box of raisins, preferably with a plastic "stay fresh" lining. The "soy sauce" comparison is good in that it describes palette and nose filling qualities, but a good soy bean ferments with a nutty acidity that would have been welcome here. A good experiment and a ground-breaking beer...but dang near undrinkable to me. I think that subsequent higher alcohol brews have shown that Triple Bock is not the only destiny for extreme brewer's products.

01-19-2004 20:17:15 | More by ADR
dansteino

Louisiana

3.48/5  rDev +19.2%

1995 Vintage

Cork broke. Lucky to have an extra bottle of port lying around so I used that cork to keep it.

Pours a dark, syrupy slightly reddish brown.

Smells like the plum sauce you put on moo goo gai pan. Not too appealing.

Tastes of raisins and prunes with a little hint of chocolate.

Sips like an after dinner drink with very little resemblance to a beer until the finish which has some drier elements (although not much).

Reminds me a little of Prize Old Ale -- only a lot thicker and stinkier.

I like it, but it is very hard to get past that rediculous nose.

Pairs well with blue cheese. An interesting conversation piece.

01-07-2004 05:58:42 | More by dansteino
WesWes

3.68/5  rDev +26%

The beer pours a thick black color with no head. It has a deep dark aroma. There is a syrupy smell here. There are hints of chocolate and black barley. The taste is actually not that bad. It is a hard drink, but there is real flavor here. The beer boasts a large amount of dark malts. It has a very malty flavour that is quite rich tasting. The mouthfeel is good. It is full bodied and lacking any carbonation, but for an extremely high abv. it is still drinkable.

12-16-2003 03:16:18 | More by WesWes
DESTRO

Nevada

1.45/5  rDev -50.3%

i went out on a whim an bought this just because id never had a beer that was 17.5% and meant to be sipped out of a snifter in 2oz portions. this is the 96 vintage, 8.5 oz bottle i believe, $3.99. it glugs out pure black, thick and syrupy, flat and with no head. immediatly its like your head is in a giant pair of old sneakers someone wore for a year straight without socks. powerful stank, soy sauce and sweet molasses make for one hell of an odd smell. taste is big on alcohol, huge sweetness mixed with soysauce and maple syrup. in the mouth it is heavy, thick and oily. does not go down well, maybe it would with a 2 foot cuban cigar and a scotch chaser to mask the foul taste. one of the foulest things ive ever put in my mouth. i guess i should "appreciate" the complexities and work that went in it, but in the end, it's gross.

on a note, id like to toss some wasabi in it and dunk my sushi in the solution. im thinking maybe this beer does have a use after all.

12-10-2003 08:23:19 | More by DESTRO
mschofield

2.48/5  rDev -15.1%

Absolutely flat and syrupy pour, pure black.
Strong alcohol aroma that hits my nose even from the countertop as I poured. A whiskey and chocolate-liquor aroma. Smelt almost burnt.
The taste is very strong, almost like drinking molasses mixed with whiskey and maple syrup. And then lots of dark fruits.
The feel is full and very syrupy. It's an impressive brew from a techical standpoint, but that doesn't make it very drinkable even at about 2 ounces per drink. I had it once years ago at the brewery tour (when they were first bringing it out), my undeveloped palate didn't like it then, now I appreciate it more than enjoy it.

While drinking 2 things occured to me. This would be great for desert over chocolate ice cream, so I tried just that and it worked really well. Second this would make a good stand in as a coffee mixer, so I tried it mixed with coffee, I used too much but 1 shot of this with 8 ounces of coffee would be good.

12-04-2003 17:42:29 | More by mschofield
shippos

3.75/5  rDev +28.4%

95 reserve, poured in a triple glass.

dark syrupy with slight hints of ruby around the edge of the glass. has a syrupy-soy sauce thickness that clings to the glass. strong aroma of wood, vanilla, chocalate, whiskey and brandy. smooth syrupy mouthfeel, coats your mouth completely and the alcohol if very present and hits you in the aftertaste with definete spicy hottness. had this after desert on thanksgiving, excellent for just couple of ounces to sip on...very interesting and complex.

12-01-2003 16:02:32 | More by shippos
Nytemare

Oklahoma

3.75/5  rDev +28.4%

I have a couple of bottles of this sittin' around now so I thought I'd crack open the one that's half full again. Been doin' the sample every 6 months or so to see how it's changing. Quite interesting. Pours a deep deep red. Pretty opaque. No carbonation, no head. Sticks all over the glass though. Smells like bitter black cherries and dark chocolate predominately, though there's a woodiness underneath it. Very sweet flavor at first but it gives way to the cherry tartness and bitterness of the chocolate. Alcohol definately swimming in there. Roasted nuts coming through as well. Quite an interesting brew. Very dry finish. Low drinkability due to the nature of the beer. Very heavy. One that I enjoy on occasion, but not something I'll ever drink every day.

11-29-2003 03:15:28 | More by Nytemare
feloniousmonk

3.33/5  rDev +14%

1997 bottle, purchased September 2003, consumed almost immediately thereafter...
Appearance: dark as sin, pitch black, with not a bit of foam above, not a touch of froth, just random brown bubbles about the sides.
Aroma: the alcohol wafts into the atmosphere and is quite powerful before the glass comes anywhere near my nose, and from this distance I note: maple syrup, couch syrup, port wine, licorice.
So, bring it closer!...ooooh! Wicked! An intense mommajamma! It can't be a beer! Sherry + Jagermeisters+ Meyer's, shaken well, with prune juice, lit on fire! ...then dipped in turpentine! Smells like the sweeter extracts of the sulphur pits of Hell!
So, now to taste: no, this is really pushing it! Goes beyond anything recognized as beer, anywhere...no, it's closer to port, and should be consumed as such. Thick on the tongue at first, then mild, still with a sweet, treacly coating that trickles down the throat. Definitely not a bock, not even a doppel, nothing like one, and I want to call it a barleywine, but it's not that, either...
Slowly, the booze kicks in...Raisiny, datish, leaving a lace on the glass like you'd find in a wortchestershire bottle...I'd like to see them do a commercial for this one! "Always a good idea!" YEAH, RIGHT!
...Boom! Boom! Oh, oh, it's starting to HAp-pen...

11-05-2003 09:50:51 | More by feloniousmonk
NickLovesBeer

2.38/5  rDev -18.5%

All I can truly say is dear god. I purchased Sam Adams Triple Bock because I had tried all of the other styles of Sam Adams and figured that this would be no less impressive. Triple Bock pours a murky brown resembling maple syrup with no carbonation. The taste was very similar to soy sauce except not quite as salty. The smell was extremely intense fruits (I could smell it from 5 feet away), mostly raisins. All and all I could not drink more than 1 oz in a sitting and was very unimpressed.

10-29-2003 03:53:43 | More by NickLovesBeer
hotstuff

Indiana

3.08/5  rDev +5.5%

1994 bottle - It poured no head, no lacing, opaque body, with a red-black hue. The nose was sweet, also alcohol and wine with a sweet, wine taste to it. The palate was tingly, smooth, sticky and it had a burning sensation as it was swallowed. It was medium bodied. This was so-so, but not a beer that I want to drink again even if the opportunity presents itself. It's just not my style of beer nor did it taste anything close to a beer.

10-28-2003 12:08:22 | More by hotstuff
grynder33

Wisconsin

2.38/5  rDev -18.5%

Thick sticky and dark, no carbonation or headsmells candish and heavy alcohol like a port or sherry, sweet almost prunish tastesyrupy heavy feelfingers get sticky just from touching it.If you like a brandy and cigar after your meal you might like this.

10-13-2003 00:14:42 | More by grynder33
doboy

4.38/5  rDev +50%

Dark as night! A syrupy appearance in the glass, and the alcohol grabs your nose! This 1994 Reserve had no carbonation, and felt like velvet as it slid down the throat. This is one you either love or hate. For a dark beer drinker, it was just short of heaven! One bottle is left, and it is going to sit. What a great, cobalt bottle too!

09-25-2003 18:05:31 | More by doboy
dmarch

1.95/5  rDev -33.2%

Pours deep burguny in color with no head whatsoever and no carbonation. Aroma is dried dark fruit like raisins or plums hidden under the alcohol which dominates. The alcohol dominates the taste as well. Tastes almost like marsala wine. Maybe I'll try it again after letting it age a few more years, but I think this is the best it's going to get.

07-19-2003 13:01:08 | More by dmarch
Samuel Adams Triple Bock from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)