Samuel Adams Triple Bock - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Triple BockSamuel Adams Triple Bock

poor

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

American Strong Ale |  17.50% ABV

Though the little cobalt bottles still decorate the shelves today, this beer only had 3 vintage releases; 1994, 1995, and 1997. Brewed with two row malted barley, water, Noble hops and yeast, along with maple syrup, it was then aged several months in oak whiskey barrels before being bottled. At the time it was considered the world's strongest beer, and a precursor of today's Extreme Beers.

(Beer added by: Todd on 01-10-1998)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Triple Bock Alström Bros

8oz blue bottle, with laser engraved gold lettering, beautifully packaged

Pours with a dark burgandy/brown body, thick and viscous, no head

Smell, very sweet, big dried fruit, a few off flavours

Taste, sickly sweet, tart bitterness and maderia like quality, so much goin on it just overpowers, strong sweet alcoholic flavour and a coffee aftertaste, soy sauce like aftertaste, salty

Still too strong , too sweet, too over the top

cypressbob, Jul 11, 2004
3.7/5  rDev +26.7%

I sampled a 1994 bottle fresh, and these comments are from my tasting notes.

This beer poured a very dark brown, and it was cloudy. There was no head, not even a hit of it.

The aroma was of red wine and oak. Hints of maple and molasses.

The taste was many-layered and complex. I detected maple, toffee, wine-like fruitiness, oak, and bitter chocolate. A good blend, very well done, but it had to be sipped rather slowly. The aromas became more wine-like as it warmed.

This was an excellent beer, but it was one to be savored slowly, not too "drinkable". I could only get through half the bottle at one sitting, and it took over an hour.

connecticutpoet, Jun 30, 2004
3.08/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

8.45 oz bottle

Ninjaworm was kind enough to donate a 1995 bottle for tasting. Comes in an elegant blue bottle sealed with a cork stopper and foil wrapping. When I peeled off the foil, dried beer is underneath indicating the cork stopper leeked, I guess. As I pulled the stopper out, the cork breaks. I try a corkscrew to remove the lower half, but the remaining piece crumbles into the bottle.

Appearance: The beer pours a dark black color with no head or lacing whatsoever. It resembles a dark liqueur.

Aroma: The aroma is huge on this beer. It smells sweet like molases. Dark malt aromas very present too. No hop presence.

Taste: The maple syrup it was brewed with is immediately noticeable. As it gets to the back of the tongue, the alcohol becomes present and is quite warming going down. Never tried this beer fresh, but if any hop flavors were there originally, they have diminished after 9 years.

Mouthfeel: There is little to no carbonation. The gravity is quite high, but it is silkly smooth without the carbonation.

Drinkability: This is truly a sipping beer. I've had several other big high alcohol beers like this, but they have been much more drinkable. The heaviness of the beer, as well as, the highly present alcohol concentration makes this beer go down quite slowly. Should have the rest of glass finished in a few more hours.

CSquared, Jun 26, 2004
4.25/5  rDev +45.5%

You have to try this more than once or twice. It goes better on a cold day as an alternate to schnapps or whatever. The look is unique, almost black. The smell is exceptional, with chocolate, maple and burnt sugar very heavy. It is very sweet, so be prepared. It's heave in the mouth and should be swished like a wine. I wish I could still find some!!

adamsrp, Jun 03, 2004
2.35/5  rDev -19.5%

vintage 1994.
Thanks to JTFest for this sample.

Uncorked, and noting some of the other reviews here, was surprised that there is no damage whatsoever to the cork.

Poured a very small amount into a wide-mouthed wine tasting glass that I found a few years back. Almost syrupy, very dark looks kind of like maple syrup (which is to be expected). You can smell the beer from quite a distance and whoo boy is it powerful.

Smell is very good. Bourbon, port, alcohol, coffee, raisins, maple syrup, and chocolate. How in the heck you can get all of those aromas into a single bottle is amazing. I have to try this.

yikes. This isn't like any other "beer" I have ever tasted. There is a distinct alcohol heat from the second it hits your tongue to the time it is swallowed. Bourbon is upfront. There is some sweetness, from the maple syrup in there, but mostly this tastes very much like teryaki sauce (I know someone has said this prior to me, but it's true). Now, I'm always into trying new things, but a teryaki sauce flavored beer isn't really one of them. Nevertheless, I soldier on. There has to be more flavor to it than this. There is a note of coffee and chocolate, but the odd flavors kind of dominate.

The alcohol plays a major part in this one, but I don't think that it can really save it. I love scotch, whiskey and bourbon, but I can't say that I am a fan of this beer. I had an extremely hard time trying to finish the sample I poured myself.

As someone stated, this could possibly make an excellent maranade for a steak or even chicken if one were so inclined. As a lover of the stiff drink, I can hardly see myself sitting down with a snifter of Triple bock in my future.

Note: I will recork and save for a later date, hoping that another couple of years will mellow the flavor somewhat. But already at 10 years, I don't know how much longer it would take.

LuckySevens82, May 11, 2004
3.93/5  rDev +34.6%

interesting...to put it in one word. It pours like tar black with brown around the edge of the glass. I wouldn't be surprised to find dinosaur fossils in here. No head at all...but it would be odd if there was in the uncarbonated brew. Swirling the goblet, leaves a light brown film on the glass.

Smell is of burnt chocolate and maple. And this is something prevalent in the taste. On first sip, it tastes like liquid chocolate chip pancakes. If you've ever had malted flour pancakes--that's the stuff. Coffee creeps a bit into the aftertaste. Basically tastes like breakfast in a bottle. Acidity creeps into the mouthfeel, giving it a bit of an undesirable tangyness. The stuff coats the throat like Nyquil, without the bad taste.

Drinkability is definitely low for me. Despite its tastiness, I had trouble finishing the bottle. Sweetness is overpowering, and there is little bitterness to balance. Alcohol hits you, too--definitely a beer to drink as a nightcap.

PartyHatjo, Apr 20, 2004
1.75/5  rDev -40.1%

I saw this in a local liquor store and, in my quest to sample as many Samuel Adams brews as possible, thought I would give it a shot. The best thing about this "beer" is the cobalt blue bottle. I will put it up on my shelf when I am done drinking the rest of it. And hopefully it will remain up there longer than my memories of what was in the bottle will last in my head. As soon as the bottle was cracked, a huge aroma poured out of it. But it was so repulsive, I didn't want to get close enough to it to describe its character. If there's anything good about this beer other than the bottle, it's that the taste is better than the smell. Tastes like a combination of soy sauce, burnt wood, raisins, and motor oil. After a 2 oz serving of this, I'm ready to call it quits. If you are thinking of buying this because you like the Double Bock, don't. They are nothing alike. Very disappointing.

Jacobob10, Apr 19, 2004
4.2/5  rDev +43.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

If beer is liquid bread then this is a burnt waffle smothered in maple syrup.
Very complex, thick with no carbonation.
Aromatic, sweet scent largely due to the ABV.
Poured very thick, no head, syrupy. It coats the glass as I swirl it around.
I am thinking prunish taste, maybe raisins?. Definitly taste the syrup they used also a little molasses.
One of these at a time and chugging is not recomended. I drank mine over the course of an hour letting it warm to room temp.
I found some bottles of the '95, and this was the oldest beer I've had to date. I would compare it to a port.
Amazing.
Delicious. Kudos.

dippy, Apr 08, 2004
3.85/5  rDev +31.8%

Pours a still, black color with amber notes to it. Intense concentrated malt aromas with notes of port, soy sauce, Worcester sauce, sherry, bacon and alcohol. All of the aromas are concentrated and quite intense. The beer itself is thick and viscous. There are interesting rich notes of balsamic, port, raising, and concentrated soy sauce in the taste. This beer hides the alcohol quite well.

This is definitely an interesting take on a beer, especially considering how cutting edge this beer once was. I really wonder how this beer will age. I think that I will perhaps try my other bottles at 15 years of age, though I could guess that 25 may be more realistic, and that 50 would not really even be a problem for this beer. Definitely a sipping brew. Though this beer is not a beer I would want to drink even on a yearly basis, it is interesting and a beer that pushed the "me too" high alcohol beers to another level.

Gueuzedude, Apr 08, 2004
3.9/5  rDev +33.6%

This bottle has no vintage. I am informed that this means it's a 1997 vintage, but I can't find any confirmation of that on the Samuel Adams website.

Appearance: Well, it doesn't look like much of a beer. It has no head or lacing at all. It's almost completely still. Very dark, rich brown color.

Smell: Very enticing smell. Rich chocolate aroma predominates, with hints of passion fruit and a faint trace of mint. A very earthy, almost musty smell. No hop character at all.

Taste: Wow. The chocolate hinted at by the aroma is delivered in spades on the palate. You're hit with the chocolate flavor almost immediately. The strong flavor of passion fruit hits you mid-palate. The finish is exceptionally long and drawn out, consisting of a noticable alcohol burn and strong overtones of single-malt scotch.

Mouthfeel: Personal preference, but I would prefer a small amount of carbonation. That said, the mouthfeel is very straightforward. It's like sipping a good single-malt. Silky and viscous.

Drinkability: I'm always kind of reluctant to rate the drinkability. To me, "drinkability" suggests the ability to quaff one after the other. The beers which are the most drinkable are rarely the most interesting beers, and the most interesting beers aren't always the most drinkable.

Be that as it may, I can't really imagine having more than one of these in a given drinking session. But don't let that stop you. This is an outstanding beer, and I heartily recommend it.

Afterburner, Apr 02, 2004
3.93/5  rDev +34.6%

Little bluish bottle, no date, so im assuming 97
My 200th review

This beer is completly black, even when held to the light. No head. The scent is chocolatey, sugar, carmely, all sorts of sweet scents, and has a sharp alcohol twang to it. As for the taste it is like drinking maple syrup that has an injection of alcohol in it. Wood tones, no carbonation (thus the no head, i assume) Very thick and full mouthfeel, again like syrup.

I definately see why some love this and some hate it. I think its almost more suited for shots (jk). Definately a sipper though.

Tballz420, Mar 29, 2004
3.68/5  rDev +26%

1997 vintage: 8.45oz. bottle poured into a tulip-style glass. It pours a deep black color with no carbonation. Of course since there's no carbonation, there's no lacing. The smell is full of molasses, maple syrup, brown sugar, and rum aromas. It really fills and opens the nose. The taste is rather unique. It's very malty and sweet, with more molasses and brown sugar coming through. The alcohol burns the throat on the way down, almost like taking a shot of Jager to me. The mouthfeel is super thick, and coats the mouth and lips. The drinkability lacks severly due to the explosive flavor and very high alcohol content. Still a very unique brew that I believe will only get much better with aging.

SheepNutz, Mar 24, 2004
4.35/5  rDev +49%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

1997 - I think this is either a love or hate beer. It pours a brownish-black and has no head. In fact it is still. It doesn't look like much, but I think it is an exceptional and interesting beer. The body is oily, rich, and complex. The aroma and tastes are pretty much the same. I taste chocolate, maple, mint, vanilla, oak, and a slight whiskey/smokiness. A wonderful savoring brew.

ark57, Mar 23, 2004
3.48/5  rDev +19.2%

Tasted on 3/21/04 from cobalt blue bottle that is not dated with a vintage so I'm guessing the 97 vintage

Appearance: 10w40. Deep brown in the center straying to toffee on the rim. Zero carbonation.

Smell: Prunes, raisins, caramelized brown sugar, soy sauce.

Taste: Oak/Cedar with tones of bittersweet chocolate and a bit of heat on the finish. Very vinous.

Mouthfeel: Viscous, but the lack of carbonation makes this seem thinner than it actually is.

Drinkability:Too powerful, too complex, too much to even consider more than a little at a time.

Hefe, Mar 22, 2004
3.5/5  rDev +19.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 1.5

Well, I decided to enjoy this little wonder with my BA buddy sulldaddy, lastnight as we sat and enjoyed the March Madness!

I poured half of the 95 vintage Triple Bock the bottle, served at 48 degrees, into a snifter, and right away I got a little "scared"....the true question was this: "who switched our beer with motor oil?" which came from sulldaddy....we both laughed and knew we were in store for a beatdown by good ol' Sammy A. As we poured, there was absolutely no head on this beer whatsoever in my glass. I noticed at the end of the bottle, the remnance dripped from the bottle much like the last drippings of a syrup bottle, and I could already get the hints of smelling soy sauce, which I felt to be strange from a beer. As I "took a closer look" I also got the hints of chocolate (rasberry), maple syrup, and burnt brown sugar. Looking in fear, I noticed that absolutely NO light got through this beer at all! Upon the first sip, after letting warm for 10 minutes first to get more flavors, I got the major taste of soy sauce, and the rasberry chocolate and maybe some maple syrup came through as well. Although it had great mouthfeel and was a very interesting beer, this is a beer to open and share with about 5 people at the same time...it is a SIPPING beer for real beer drinkers. It was almost too thick and sweet to drink much more than 5 oz. However, I bet it would go good with Chinese food or as a marinade on some good ol' steak or burgers!!!! YEE HAW!!!

Fish113d, Mar 19, 2004
3.2/5  rDev +9.6%

This sample started chilled but warmed to room temp by the finish of the tasting. I sampled with fish113d tonite. This is a 1995 vintage.

The beer pours pitch black into my snifter with absolutely no lite escaping the glass. I get zero head even with a vigorous pour, some wine like legs are present upon swirling. Aroma is chocolate, burnt sugar and a strong soy sauce pungent scent.
Also a huge alcohol hint on this one.
First sip WOW! Holy Thickness! real syrupy texture with no carbonation. The beer has an almost chewy feel to it. The flavor is salty soy sauce on the sides of my tongue very rich and sweet chocolate, molasses and burnt sugar also. Strong alcohol presence as well. Big warming factor as it slides down my gullet. not very drinkable but a super brew to share with someone!

sulldaddy, Mar 19, 2004
3.6/5  rDev +23.3%

As everyone knows, this comes in a pretty, cobalt blue, 8.45 oz.(why that amount?), corked bottle. Many years ago, I had a bottle of either the '94 or '95. I will try to put those past recollections of this beer aside and rate it according to the beer infront of me tonight. Sampled at room temperature (68 °F).

Appearance: I swear that I have seen this stuff come out of the oil pan of my car. This beer pours very viscous and is pure black as it sits collected in the snifter. No light makes it through the main body of the liquid, but a little does eek its way through around the circumference of the glass on the surface of the brew. There, the light shows the beer to be a murky, reddish-brown hue. Swirling the snifter causes a coating effect on the side of the glass just like that of a high-alcohol wine. Light passing through this thin sheen of beer gives it an almost blood-like appearance, except duller, browner, and rustier looking. There was, of course, no carbonation.

Smell: I could smell this beer literally halfway across the room. Of course, the maple tried to jump out at me and flood my olfactory receptors (I don't care much for maple), but I tried to get past that and hunt out the other aromas that were present. There was a lot of depth and a lot of variance on the nose. Along with the aforementioned and accursed maple aroma (which, in reality, wasn't really THAT strong) was oak, red wine, vanilla, light alcohol, plums, cherries, and maple (oh, did I already say that). Occasionally, the smell became very vinous and alcohol laden, but most of the time, it was pleasant. Not very beer-like in nature, but still enjoyable to sniff.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied and not nearly as heavy as the appearance suggested. Lightly coating, but not overly so, and very smooth. Of course, the smoothness was expected with no carbonation.

Taste: The flavor wasn't overly complex, but it did have a lot of depth. Upfront was a combination of brown sugar, strong cherries and plums (very vinous in nature), and musty oak. These continued on for a long time, until some alcohol kicked in on the finish to join them. Well into the aftertaste, the sweetness developed into something that was reminiscent of maple syrup, but it was late enough into the game that I didn't find it distracting. (Oh, yeah. Did I mention that I don't like maple?) So, to recap, the flavor was mainly just red-wine like flavors, a lot of brown sugar, and some maple syrup. There were a few notes of vanilla and the aforementioned oak, but that was it.

Well, I must say that I did like this "beer" much better this tasting than the last time that I had it. I wasn't overwhelmed by the maple (Oh, yeah. Did I mention that I despise maple?) like I remember being before. The aroma was very pleasant and complex. The flavor, while not being as complex as the smell, had a nice depth to it. I will probably go ahead and pick up a few more bottles of this to lay down for a long, long time to see how they develop over the years.

This is definitely a sipping beer, meant to be imbibed in small amounts. The 8.45 oz. bottle will easily last me two or three nights.

Quaffer, Feb 20, 2004
2.23/5  rDev -23.6%

(1995 Reserve) As recommend on the accompanying card, I only pour a few ounces of the Triple Bock at room temperature. It pours like soy sauce, and looks exactly the same. There is absolutely no carbonation to speak of. Swirling the liquid in a large burgundy glass, a thin yellow coating remains on the glass.

Even sitting two feet away from the glass, the aroma is very strong. It is very sweet with hints of very old wine and balsamic vinegar without the bite. The waves of the aroma come and go so infrequently that they seem to have a life of their own. Bringing it to the nose, it is almost overpowering. It is sickly-sweet, with hints of molasses and vanilla. Bringing it back through the nose into the back of the mouth, it already feels like I am drinking it: the smell is that strong and lingering. I think the best way to describe it is "pungent." I am actually concerned about what I am about to drink

The first taste is surprising: quite different from its aroma. It's still sweet, but definitely a bit sour. It's like drinking raisin juice, if such a thing existed. The mouthfeel is very odd, since I've never had a beer that wasn't carbonated: it has the consistency of thin maple syrup. It also tastes thinner than it smells. The aftertaste brings back hints of its aroma, which is not entirely pleasant. As I continue to drink, it now seems to get a little salty, bringing me back to my initial impression of its similarity in appearance to soy sauce. There is absolutely no hint of alcohol, which is surprising considering how much is contained in there. Also, if hops were used to brew this, they sure are hidden well. Since it was initially served at room temperature, it finishes exactly as it started.

I remember the hype when the Samuel Adams Triple Bock was introduced around 10 years ago. Having finally tried it, it is a mixed bag. It has an interesting taste, definitely the most malty-sweet brew I have ever had, but the other characteristics make this hard to recommend wholeheartedly.

JimsArcade, Feb 11, 2004
3.68/5  rDev +26%

Black bottle. Black liquid. Pure syrup. I needed pancakes. I needed waffles. There was no head, of course. Jim Koch says it's like port or cognac. I haven't had either, so I can't compare.

The smell is maple, but there is also chocolate and the aforementioned soy sauce, not enough to make me think of tuna rolls, however.

I took a big gulp first. Alcohol and more alcohol and then the syrup and the soy. Slight burning in the throat. I needed to sip and sip lightly afterward. The alcohol didn't overpower me after that, but I knew quickly that I would not be finishing all of it by myself.

I noticed mostly chocolate the rest of the way through. I wasn't used to this brew at all, and the oily mouthfeel was getting to me. This was an interesting change of pace from the wheat beers I had the weekend before. Like wine, it would be good to serve with food before dinner or to sip without food after dinner. It's not for pouring into a pint and gulping down at 9pm on a Tuesday.

ChimayMayDay, Feb 11, 2004
4.35/5  rDev +49%

1995 vintage edition

This beer poured a really dark brownish-red color with basically no head, but what does one expect with such a high alcohol brew. It's texture seemed almost like sap to me. Upon the smell I note soy sauce and I can't get it out of my head. Loads of soy sauce. As it warmed the smell changed to syrupy waffles and finally to straight molasses. The taste blew my mind. Really thick and aggressive brew. Burnt charcoal flavor in it. A chalkiness takes form. Sweet syrup taste comes to mind. Some raisins are there mixed with chocolate. Alcohol is explosive and unrelenting. I love it! It took all my might to finish off the 8.45oz of this bottle because of the sheer thickness and alcohol in here but I will definitely be seeking this one out again. Tons of flavors (I can't even remember them all) and lots of complexity make this a beer worth remembering.

granger10, Feb 08, 2004
3.55/5  rDev +21.6%

Nectar of the gods or crankcase oil, that is what my brew club buddies think of this.

Deep mahogany to chestnut colored, still (not carbonated), and smelling of maple syrup, prunes, toffee, and a hint of chocolate.

The taste is alcohol, stewed fruits, sweet with just enough bitterness, and a slight chocolate character.

I don't know what the grain bill is on the thing, but the chocolate character could be left out and it would improve the drinkability immensely. More like a Samiclaus...

The still character throws most people, but that is one reason I like is so much. It is a brandy or grappa!

The corked bottle is nice, you can pour a little, cork it and put it up for a while. Two people would be hard pressed to drink one bottle at a sitting, much less one person!

Enjoy this novelty "Triple Bock", think of it more like a Brandy and enjoy!

Chsyhkr, Feb 01, 2004
2.38/5  rDev -18.5%

Known as fecal bock to my friends this beer is one I had high hopes for but was seriously disapointed in.Pours a pitch black with almost no head to speak of,aroma is a little nutty and raisiny with some sweet alcohol notes as well.Taste is harsh I have had a few beers higher in alcohol than this that were easier to drink its way to syrupy and medicinal just unpleasant.Well have the bottle tried it twice three years ago and now and I wont try it again.

oberon, Jan 24, 2004
4.38/5  rDev +50%

Bottle year 1996
Given to me by my buddy Jamie in a small snifter glass.
Served room temperature

This beer came to me a pitch black thick molasses/black color that no light could possible pass through except on the edges, where there was a hint of cocoa brown coming through. No head was present. The aromas that came up from the glass were big and bold, lots of molasses, black coffee, plums, some sweet coffee, lots of dark chocolate, and a big warming alcohol. The flavors were just as big as the aromas, lots of dark fruits first hit your tongue (plums and prunes), then alcohol, then coffee, milk chocolate, some dark sweet malt, and more alcohol as it finished. Reminded me of a well old aged bottle of liquor. The body was thick, heavy and rich. Needless to say this is a sipping beer, and it takes some time to finish a small snifter. Very intense, and worth every sip of pleasure. I hope he saves some more so that we can drink in a few more years. A good treat, but would not want but only on special occasions.

Jarod, Jan 21, 2004
2.33/5  rDev -20.2%

Out of a bottle ('95 according to the server), Extreme Beer Fest 2004...

Pours out like a dark blood clot, no head, with coating properties. Now, the analysis. All these Triples are coming up on that 10 year age when they should start to resemble Sherry. So, is this like a good Sherry, or a Port, or a fine Bourbon, or a maple-enhanced Kahlua? I'd say as far from any of those as from beer. An aroma of frying rubber that's either off-putting and similar to airplane wing de-icer or immediately recognizable as "that's Triple Bock" at best. The flavor, almost equally as heavy -- is best compared to a burning box of raisins, preferably with a plastic "stay fresh" lining. The "soy sauce" comparison is good in that it describes palette and nose filling qualities, but a good soy bean ferments with a nutty acidity that would have been welcome here. A good experiment and a ground-breaking beer...but dang near undrinkable to me. I think that subsequent higher alcohol brews have shown that Triple Bock is not the only destiny for extreme brewer's products.

ADR, Jan 19, 2004
3.48/5  rDev +19.2%

1995 Vintage

Cork broke. Lucky to have an extra bottle of port lying around so I used that cork to keep it.

Pours a dark, syrupy slightly reddish brown.

Smells like the plum sauce you put on moo goo gai pan. Not too appealing.

Tastes of raisins and prunes with a little hint of chocolate.

Sips like an after dinner drink with very little resemblance to a beer until the finish which has some drier elements (although not much).

Reminds me a little of Prize Old Ale -- only a lot thicker and stinkier.

I like it, but it is very hard to get past that rediculous nose.

Pairs well with blue cheese. An interesting conversation piece.

dansteino, Jan 07, 2004
Samuel Adams Triple Bock from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)