Samuel Adams Triple Bock - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Triple BockSamuel Adams Triple Bock

poor

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

American Strong Ale |  17.50% ABV

Though the little cobalt bottles still decorate the shelves today, this beer only had 3 vintage releases; 1994, 1995, and 1997. Brewed with two row malted barley, water, Noble hops and yeast, along with maple syrup, it was then aged several months in oak whiskey barrels before being bottled. At the time it was considered the world's strongest beer, and a precursor of today's Extreme Beers.

(Beer added by: Todd on 01-10-1998)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Triple Bock Alström Bros
3.75/5  rDev +28.4%

95 reserve, poured in a triple glass.

dark syrupy with slight hints of ruby around the edge of the glass. has a syrupy-soy sauce thickness that clings to the glass. strong aroma of wood, vanilla, chocalate, whiskey and brandy. smooth syrupy mouthfeel, coats your mouth completely and the alcohol if very present and hits you in the aftertaste with definete spicy hottness. had this after desert on thanksgiving, excellent for just couple of ounces to sip on...very interesting and complex.

shippos, Dec 01, 2003
3.75/5  rDev +28.4%

I have a couple of bottles of this sittin' around now so I thought I'd crack open the one that's half full again. Been doin' the sample every 6 months or so to see how it's changing. Quite interesting. Pours a deep deep red. Pretty opaque. No carbonation, no head. Sticks all over the glass though. Smells like bitter black cherries and dark chocolate predominately, though there's a woodiness underneath it. Very sweet flavor at first but it gives way to the cherry tartness and bitterness of the chocolate. Alcohol definately swimming in there. Roasted nuts coming through as well. Quite an interesting brew. Very dry finish. Low drinkability due to the nature of the beer. Very heavy. One that I enjoy on occasion, but not something I'll ever drink every day.

Nytemare, Nov 29, 2003
3.33/5  rDev +14%

1997 bottle, purchased September 2003, consumed almost immediately thereafter...
Appearance: dark as sin, pitch black, with not a bit of foam above, not a touch of froth, just random brown bubbles about the sides.
Aroma: the alcohol wafts into the atmosphere and is quite powerful before the glass comes anywhere near my nose, and from this distance I note: maple syrup, couch syrup, port wine, licorice.
So, bring it closer!...ooooh! Wicked! An intense mommajamma! It can't be a beer! Sherry + Jagermeisters+ Meyer's, shaken well, with prune juice, lit on fire! ...then dipped in turpentine! Smells like the sweeter extracts of the sulphur pits of Hell!
So, now to taste: no, this is really pushing it! Goes beyond anything recognized as beer, anywhere...no, it's closer to port, and should be consumed as such. Thick on the tongue at first, then mild, still with a sweet, treacly coating that trickles down the throat. Definitely not a bock, not even a doppel, nothing like one, and I want to call it a barleywine, but it's not that, either...
Slowly, the booze kicks in...Raisiny, datish, leaving a lace on the glass like you'd find in a wortchestershire bottle...I'd like to see them do a commercial for this one! "Always a good idea!" YEAH, RIGHT!
...Boom! Boom! Oh, oh, it's starting to HAp-pen...

feloniousmonk, Nov 05, 2003
2.38/5  rDev -18.5%

All I can truly say is dear god. I purchased Sam Adams Triple Bock because I had tried all of the other styles of Sam Adams and figured that this would be no less impressive. Triple Bock pours a murky brown resembling maple syrup with no carbonation. The taste was very similar to soy sauce except not quite as salty. The smell was extremely intense fruits (I could smell it from 5 feet away), mostly raisins. All and all I could not drink more than 1 oz in a sitting and was very unimpressed.

NickLovesBeer, Oct 29, 2003
3.08/5  rDev +5.5%

1994 bottle - It poured no head, no lacing, opaque body, with a red-black hue. The nose was sweet, also alcohol and wine with a sweet, wine taste to it. The palate was tingly, smooth, sticky and it had a burning sensation as it was swallowed. It was medium bodied. This was so-so, but not a beer that I want to drink again even if the opportunity presents itself. It's just not my style of beer nor did it taste anything close to a beer.

hotstuff, Oct 28, 2003
2.38/5  rDev -18.5%

Thick sticky and dark, no carbonation or headsmells candish and heavy alcohol like a port or sherry, sweet almost prunish tastesyrupy heavy feelfingers get sticky just from touching it.If you like a brandy and cigar after your meal you might like this.

grynder33, Oct 13, 2003
4.38/5  rDev +50%

Dark as night! A syrupy appearance in the glass, and the alcohol grabs your nose! This 1994 Reserve had no carbonation, and felt like velvet as it slid down the throat. This is one you either love or hate. For a dark beer drinker, it was just short of heaven! One bottle is left, and it is going to sit. What a great, cobalt bottle too!

doboy, Sep 25, 2003
1.95/5  rDev -33.2%

Pours deep burguny in color with no head whatsoever and no carbonation. Aroma is dried dark fruit like raisins or plums hidden under the alcohol which dominates. The alcohol dominates the taste as well. Tastes almost like marsala wine. Maybe I'll try it again after letting it age a few more years, but I think this is the best it's going to get.

dmarch, Jul 19, 2003
1.2/5  rDev -58.9%

I will re-rate this again only after I find an aged bottle some time in the future. This has to be bad when relatively new and must get better as it ages to get some of the decent reviews I have seen. I have sampled this brew twice now with no change in feeling.

I have had many a beer in my life, but this stuff is the worst crap that I have ever tasted! If you know me, you know I don't say this lightly, but "Give me a Bud" please over this! Nuf said! It tasted horrible! How dare they sell this crap. The only thing it is good for is to sit it on a shelf, let it age, and admire the pretty bottle!

TheDM, Jul 01, 2003
2.6/5  rDev -11%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Had this in Sweden, in a little University town in the south called Lund. Kind of strange beer, smelt like marmite or vegemite and soy sauce, but it had more of a sweetness on the palate that marmite has, not sure what to say really, but probably not my kind of beer, i'll agree with aracauna with his comment on the complexity being compelling. Sharp, and very rich.

rastaman, Jun 13, 2003
2.17/5  rDev -25.7%

I'll start off by saying that this is horrible, horrible stuff. That being said, it does have some compelling complexity that makes me wish I liked it. Pours basically black (turns a flat brown around the edges in direct light). Definitely has a high viscosity -- it pours in an oily way and when you tilt the glass it leaves a brown film behind. Completely still so there's no head. The aroma is whiskey and chocolate chip cookies, heavy on the semi-sweet or black chocolate chips. I'm not getting a whole lot of the infamous soy sauce aroma. The flavor is sickeningly sweet with a little oak wood and butterscotch added to the stuff in the aroma. I haven't finished the glass yet (it's taking me forever) and it's quite possible this will end up being one of my few dumpers.

aracauna, Jun 12, 2003
3.8/5  rDev +30.1%

A super dark, purple pour with no head whatsoever. The nose jumps out at you and hits you with sweet syrupy notes and ripe grapes. The mouthfeel is undoubtley smooth, like a port or sherry. The taste was full of port-like qualities, in fact, if i didn't know better, i would think this was a port. Very sweet with hints of rich, dark berries and a thick, syrupy quality that was actually quite nice. The alcohol kick on the finish was noticeable and warming. This would be a perfect after dinner drink. (alot of sediment at the bottom of my glass which wasn't very appetizing.)

I really enjoy a good port so maybe my judgemtn is swayed by this Triple Bock.

Popsinc, Jun 11, 2003
4.8/5  rDev +64.4%

Notes: 1994 Vintage/Corked blue cobalt glass bottle. An exceptional beer in a league of it's own. This beer poured a very thick and opaque looking blood-red, brown-ish black colour with absolutely no carbonation what-so-ever. The aromas were of young cognac, fine brandy, tobacco, wood, molasses, maple, sugar, yeast, dark-roasted malts, and alcohol. The taste is of alcohol, maple, molasses, sugar, yeast, and more. The mouthfeel is super thick, creamy, and boozy. The drinkability? This is definately a 'sipping' beer but it is great for a special ocassion or in place of hard liquor. 1 bottle can easily last you 3 or 4 days or be split amongst a larger group of friends. One tip: DO NOT serve this beer too cold! Store it @ cellar temp and drink it @ cellar temp. This is where TB is at its best, imho.

I also have notes on the 1995 and 1997 vintages. I will add them to this review, when I find them!
-F

francisweizen, Jun 02, 2003
4.1/5  rDev +40.4%

I want to first thank my buddy Steve for trading me a lawn mower and snow blower for the case of 1997 Triple Bock.

The strong brew pours a rich dark black color with no head. As I swirl the glass a dark oil film is left along the side of the glass. The smell of maple syrup and strong alcohol pound the nose. Cherry notes are also noticed.

This is a sipping brew, it is hard to take big swigs with out being drunk within a matter of minutes. Cherry flavors fills the palatte along with a maple and dark brown sugar are also present.

The full bodied brew is very nice for a cold winter New England night. Take it slow do not drink this bad boy to fast or you will end up ass over tea kettles.

Cheers

kunzbrew, Apr 07, 2003
3.65/5  rDev +25%

Vintage 1995. Pours a very deep brown, bordering black, but the brown is highlighted, no head or carbonation. The cork pops off nicely and has some residue stuck to it, as does the side of the bottle. Resembles cough syrup or a motor oil in texture. Initial aroma of alcohol, which is detected far from the glass and bottle, also some notes of maple syrup and oak. The tastes, through sips only, are quite complex, primarily oak, dark fruit and syrup, not to mention the blast of alcohol resembling a nice port, some raisins and fig are noted throughout. Marked low on my drinkability scale based on the high potency. A special occasion beverage, difficult to rate.
The 8.45 ounces were split into two drinks, sipped much like you would sip a nice wine or port, which is what this bad boy resembles. Should have a warning label, as I picked up a few of these for $1.99 next to the higher priced forty ounce macros! You could truly share a bottle amongst three or four and still enjoy it! Also handy when you have a slight head cold, but I ain't no doctor.

GeoffRizzo, Apr 06, 2003
4.03/5  rDev +38%

I slowly spiral towards a distant central light. It is very cold & dark. I pass PLUTO.

> A new, unknown, bottled beer awaits discovery.

The Blue surface of the gas giant NEPTUNE is visible.

> A beautiful cobalt blue 8.45 fl.oz artistic bottle that has gold script & a port like plastic coated popper cork. A High Class appearance.

I pass URANUS, noting its very boring appearance.

> The viscous beer pours with a bituminous characteristic. A deep brown opaque color. When swirled in the glass, a residue of the beer clings to the walls like tar & brown oil-like rivulets drip down.

I am still drawn inwards, passing SATURN with its hazardous rings.

> 17.5% ABV, I know this could all end soon, once I start this mighty beer if I am not careful.

I pick up speed as I pass the biggest Gas Giant of them all JUPITER.

> Huge Aromas. Molasses, syrup, thick cloying licorice toffee, Pontefract cakes, oak aged Port, malt extract & Venos cough syrup. A rich nose.

The first Terrestrial Planet is visible, MARS.

> Just like Mars, Triple Bock is completely devoid of any visible CO2 on its surface. Utterly flat.

EARTH. Homely & welcoming. It is getting warmer.

> Tastes are complex, sip after sip reveals another hidden dimension that was not detectable before. An immense flavor profile. Strong alcohols, dark fruits, brandy soaked fruit cake are all there. Sweet, but not sickly. Velvety smooth & silky at times. It is very warming.

I skirt by the atmosphere of VENUS, the runaway greenhouse effect leads to real warming that cannot escape the Planet.

> Mouthfeel is of high strength syrupy liquor. It coats the mouth & often feels like the after effects of eating lots of licorice toffees. At the same time the beer heats the mouth & a warming effect dominates the throat. Lasts for many seconds & tastes linger even after you cool down.

It’s getting hotter. I am at MERCURY.

> I have almost completed the Bottle; the warming effect on my throat is now permanent. The aftertaste is continuously present. The alcohol is taking affect & I feel doomed.

I finally arrive. I am at the epicenter of what has been dragging me. The mighty SUN. I am now suitably warmed – happy – relaxed, as the Solar winds draw me in, I am just about to vaporize…..

……..Suddenly I awake. There is an empty Glass next to me, as well as an empty bottle of Sam Adams Triple Bock. Where have I been? Did this beer really take me to the edge of the Solar System & back??

TheLongBeachBum, Mar 15, 2003
3.43/5  rDev +17.5%

1997 Vintage
A very dark brown, almost black pour that leaves a brown trail right down the side of the glass. It is very very thick, and pours like syrup or molasses. There is no head on this one as you may expect.

Whoa, the aroma of one tiny little 8.45 oz bottle filled an entire apartment. It was very strong, but not to the point of being offensive. I could open one with company, and the aromas coming out of the glass would not get naked and cause a riot causing everyone to leave. They would just be loud and let everyone know that they were there, getting to people at times, but for the most part, just hanging out as that one person that everyone knows is there.

When this beer first hits your tongue, you can feel the alcohol, but the taste of alcohol is not that strong. A huge bitter kick leaves your eyes gaping, and your taste buds, well, who knows exactly. They have never had anything like this before. It sweetens with flavors of maple syrup and molasses. A little bit of spice is thrown in the mix just before you get the alcohol flavor. Then, the aftertaste comes in very nice and roasty. It lingers for quite some time. One sip could keep your buds interested for a good 15 minutes or so.

The body of this beer is more than full, and it is more than thick. It has no carbonation, so it is quite smooth, but a lot of the intensity of the flavors keeps it from being dull on the tongue. It is much more like sipping a fine liquor than a beer. Warming alcohol makes this one pleasureable brew that your mouth loves to drink.

It takes a long long time to drink this beer, but it does not bore you, and if you are tired, it will kick you in the face and start a marching band in your head until you are lively and awake again.

The only things I would say are: Drink it at room temperature as recommended by a few other BAs. and... Give yourself some time for this one. I found that if I sipped to close together that the remaining aftertastes altered the next gulp.

1995 Vintage sampled 3-15-03
The 95 is much more refined from the 2 additional years of aging. The aroma was filled with dark chocolate and does not burn your nose as the 97 did. Chocolate balances the maple syrup in this vintage and makes it a much better brew than the 97. No burning alcohol here. A nice orasty aftertaste is also a pleasant surprise. I can only hope that my case of 97s will mature like the 95 did.
Appearance 4
Smell 4
Taste 4.5
Mouthfeel 3.5
Drinkability 3.5

ElGuapo, Mar 06, 2003
3.78/5  rDev +29.5%

Re-read the above with a wine in mind.
This is a really cool beer, because although I guess it's a really sweet stout it tastes like a hopped tawny port wine.
Comes in an 8 oz blue glass with a cork.
The beer is uncarbonated and pours a deep dark red-brown with no head.
Smell is a strong fruit/wine smell. It's a port.
Strong alcoholic feel and flavor. It is a spicy, sweet, velvety beer with a characteristic hops presence but not so much that it overpowers the sweet characters of the beer.

This is certainly an intersting one to try. I recommned that you expect a port wine, not a beer or it may bea surprise.

TAMU99, Feb 20, 2003
4.03/5  rDev +38%

1995 bottle, split with a friend. Poured a dark black, couldnt see any light through even a small amount of this liquid. No carbonation at all, but I dont think that carbonation would do this beer any favors. Smelled strongly of alcohol and molasses. Drank in small small sips, the flavor is almost overpowering. Definite alcohol presence, along with flavors of maple syrup, molasses, coffee, vanilla, and about a hundred other things I couldnt quite put my finger on. Truly complex. Even small sips coated the whole mouth with a thick concentrated flavor. This would detract from a regular beer, but this only barely rests within the definition of beer, so I think it fit well. Of course the drinkability was poor, but again I think that only goes along with the style. I could feel the alcohol warming me up after just a small glass. I would love to have another couple bottles of this to open every few years, but it is not something that I need on a regular basis.

Erix, Feb 03, 2003
3.5/5  rDev +19.9%

Pours a very deep black, like ink. It has the consistancy of a light maple syrup.
The aroma is of burnt molasses and black licorice.
The flavour is molasses, licorice, currant, and black cherry?
The black cherry is a quess because there is a flavour in there that I can't quite figure out. This is like drinking a puzzle.
A very warming drink that goes well on a cold winter night.

xXTequila, Feb 03, 2003
3.95/5  rDev +35.3%

Pours out thick black. This really is a thick one. 1995 vintage tastes of smoked maple. This is very unbeerlike. I'm going to have to start laying good brews down because if waiting eight years can do this to a beer I want more. The beer is so thick it coats everything it touches with a sample of its splender. Thank you Boston Beer.

I love to cook with this.

scottum, Jan 25, 2003
4.45/5  rDev +52.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I sampled this 1995 Sam Adams Triple Bock from a small blue bottle. According to the Sam Adams rep, the 1994 and 1995 vintages have the year on the back label, but the 1997 does not. There are only 3 vintages.

Appearance: Thick brown-black liquid (like molasses). No foam at all.

Smell: Very nice smell of sweet, dark malt and some molasses like aromas.

Taste: Sweet, dark malt. Strong flavor! Some alcohol taste comes through. This is a sipping beer.

Mouthfeel: Very good. Smooth, chewy, warming.

Drinkability: Very good. Nice to inhale the vapors and sip and savor. This one has mellowed nicely since 1995. I recall trying one a few years ago (also 1995), and not liking it as much.

UncleJimbo, Jan 22, 2003
4.2/5  rDev +43.8%

A beer I've wanted to try for some time...negative opinions from those I know and high prices kept me away...Just found a bottle for 2.99 and decided to give it a whirl...

A deep mahogany tinted black with no carbonation at all....great nose...maple syrup...molassis....and alcohol....body is syrupy and sweet....I kind of dig the flavor....molassis and maple syrup again with a waring effect (go figure) in the stomach...definitely a sipping beer...alcohol is evident on the taste too but you;d figure that with the ABV...I've had better high alcohol beers (Dogfish Head) but this is decent in its own way...a true sipper...a great nose...a bit oversweet but worth a bottle here and there...If I go back to Fargo i will get 2-6 more of these to store for special occasions...I think it is pretty good overall..

97 Vintage...

ZAP, Jan 14, 2003
4.18/5  rDev +43.2%

I found bottles of this and grabbed two immediately not quite realizing what it was it was supposed to be. I only had heard vaguely that this was somewhat rare. I read on the bottle that it was made with maple syrup. Sounded interesting. Then I got home and read the BA reviews. I advise reading through them before you taste. I didn't realize the potency and the aging potential of this beer before then. My bottles are 1997 I think so I don't know how they were handled before 2002.

I poured this into a shot glass after reading the reviews. No pint glass, no tulip glass. 2oz. to start with. Looks very black and opaque. No head. Smells like soy sauce. Take in eye dropper size sips. First taste reminds me of smokey links with maple syrup. Sweet tasting. Sugary maple. I detect a smokey like taste too. I don't think the ratings are very useful here. It is an extreme experience that could easily rate 2 or 5. Given an expectation of small doses I think an experience BA will look forward to the experience as an occasion. If I were smart I would have saved this for the 100th review like the previous reviewer.

mjohn27603, Jan 14, 2003
2.7/5  rDev -7.5%

This one was a suprise to me, small blue bottle with a cork style top. I got a chance to try this at our BA social at the Bum's and was not impressed with the out come. The look is a flat, having no carbonation, no head. It has a dark syrup like look (maybe good for waffles).The smell was a strong maple with hints of molasses and a good note of alcohol. The taste was strong, full of maple, could not note anything else for the alcohol was bold. Mouthfeel gave me the idea I was taking shots of cough syrup, hard to take this one down I felt it was more of a liquor.

stoutlove77, Jan 13, 2003
Samuel Adams Triple Bock from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)