Samuel Adams Triple Bock - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Triple BockSamuel Adams Triple Bock

poor

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

American Strong Ale |  17.50% ABV

Though the little cobalt bottles still decorate the shelves today, this beer only had 3 vintage releases; 1994, 1995, and 1997. Brewed with two row malted barley, water, Noble hops and yeast, along with maple syrup, it was then aged several months in oak whiskey barrels before being bottled. At the time it was considered the world's strongest beer, and a precursor of today's Extreme Beers.

(Beer added by: Todd on 01-10-1998)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Triple Bock Alström Bros
4.13/5  rDev +41.4%

1997 Vintage.

Well here we go, this is my first experience with a beer that is so dichotomous. Poured the little cobalt bottle into a Chimay snifter. Pours an inky, syrupy, black with dark tan edges where the light can shine in. I attempted to perk up some head with a vigorous pour but to no avail. Eleven plus years have left this beer with absolutely no carbonation.

The aroma hits you like a ton of bricks. You can smell it from 2 feet away, but the crazy thing is that it's not off puffing in anyway. The aroma is big on chocolaty fudge up front with vanilla, cherry, maple syrup, oak, and a fiery alcohol that makes your nostrils flare. The taste is as big as the aroma.

The first sip is a bit astringent but as you let it sit in your mouth you get subtle notes of cherry, and vanilla. Then the maple syrup and chocolate hits you in the jaw. The most interesting thing about the taste is that there is a slight roasted peanut taste at the very end of the finish. This is probably the most complex beer I've had to this point in my beer drink career.

Mouthfeel is full and oily. It coats your mouth like soy sauce, not wanting release your taste buds from its grips. My only knock on this beer is really hard to drink. The alcohol is as intense as the flavor is. Thanks Sam Adams for starting a movement.

hwwty4, Feb 21, 2008
3.58/5  rDev +22.6%

Samuel Adams Triple Bock pours a dense, wine like black with absolutely no carbonation. The smell is incredible. Its almost overwhelmingly strong of a massively malted, bourbon syrup. Tastes are also powerful with bourbon, soy, and syrup. The syrup seem to helps smooth out the whisky sharpness at the end. Mouthfeel is extremely thick and dense which I normally like, but the 0 carbonation hurts it a bit. It makes it a little less beer like and more like drinking a salty port wine.

AMo, Feb 21, 2008
3.53/5  rDev +20.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

1997 vintage.

As stated in the Notes, this is a pioneering "extreme" beer. For me, it was the one that, in 1995, completely obliterated my preconceptions of what beer was and what it could be. It took awhile to fully come around to craft/extreme beer, but, along with Corsendonk, it was an eventual gateway to better things. So I'm anxious (and nostalgic) to revisit this controversial offering. Perhaps the ultimate Love-or-Hate beer? Maybe...but I neither love it nor hate it.

Released from its blue glass prison of 11 years, it was remarkable to see even a single bubble forming the crown, much less an entire crown. That disappeared quickly, but it showed there's still some life here. It's inky and very soy sauce-like in appearance; murky but not muddy. Absolutely zero lace, of course. And you should see the muddy sludge clinging to the bottom and sides of the bottle. Sick.

Aroma is chocolate syrup, caramel/toffee brownies, maple syrup, and a whole lot of alcohol goin' on and pushing those aromas to their limits. Love the gooey, uber-rich dessert aspect...while the alcohol almost singed my nosehairs. Fortunately the chocolate element prevails.

The alcohol heat is a major player in the flavor, flaring and spreading like a killer liqueur; if you can get into that, there's hyper-graham cracker, ultra-brownie and, yes, that dominant, woodsy, earthy maple syrup flavor to enjoy. I understand but disagree with the soy sauce comparisons. There's a huge variety of soy sauce out there, and having tried a lot of them, I can't think of one brand this reminds me of (like beer, they're not all created equal). Traces of caramel lurk in the finish. Smoke and stewed apples emerge over time. The mouthfeel is an interesting halfway point between water-thin and lusciously syrupy. Velvety, smooth and slick. Even 11 years after bottling, the flavor delivers well enough. If you're an enthusiast of truly "extreme" beer, it's a mandatory experience, and clearly as far away from even the most liberal definition of "beer" as you can get.

But is it drinkable? Err...it's sip-able. And only for the open-minded. It's a small serving, but this 8.45 ounces of myth and mystery can be contemplated for hours. I was glad to revisit, but if it only comes along every 13 years or so for me, I'm okay with that too.

Metalmonk, Feb 17, 2008
1.05/5  rDev -64%

I poured this into a brandy snifter as recommended by most who have had this beer. There is a strong smell and taste of alcohol, syrup, and soy sauce. It started bad, and got worse the more I drank it. I was not impressed. I could not finish it. Reviewed from notes.

hardy008, Feb 16, 2008
1.88/5  rDev -35.6%

Poured this bottle into a snifter. It had absolutely no head and its dark appearance didn't look so appetizing. This thing smelled strooong. The first sip had me interested, but after that, this thing got pretty old. Not only was it a booze bomb, it was way too sweet. I couldn't finish it. This was the first time this has happened to me.

chriskozma, Feb 16, 2008
4.15/5  rDev +42.1%

My first encounter with Triple Bock was one year ago, and I was not prepared for the experience. I served the beer wrong, expected the wrong thing, and hated it. I thought it tasted simply like soy sauce, and would have recommended using it as a marinade.

As I walked through my favorite liquor store today I saw it sitting on the shelf, taunting me. I realized that I'm now roughly 300 more beers experienced and figured it's time. I couldn't be happier that I decided to try this again.

This beer, is unique. Throw out your typical idea of a beer before trying this one or you may be strongly disappointed. The beer is to served at room temperature, a few ounces at a time in a sniffer. Its taste rivals that of fine ports and sherrys.

The beer poured black, with deep brown edges. There is no carbonation, hence no head.

The aroma is full of flavors and resembles Imperial Stouts. Flavors of dark roasted malts, vanilla, chocolate, and even fruit are apparent in the aroma.

The first sip rushes a fruity sweetness over the tongue, only to be replaced by a slight bitter warming dryness and deeper flavors on the finish. You can expect sweet cherry, vanilla, and even oak flavors. There is a slight alcohol warmth too which is expected at 17.5% ABV.

The mouthfeel is rather flat and still as there is no carbonation. It's thick and syruppy, but appropriate for the type. A few ounces at a time makes drinkability very good.

This is not for the faint of heart, or for a beer guzzler, only a true afficionado will appreciate. Happy tasting!

Goliath, Feb 06, 2008
4.38/5  rDev +50%

This is my second go 'round with the Triple Bock. The first time was 12 years ago when it was first brewed. The first time around, I was not a big fan of this beer in any way, shape or form. Actually, that's an understatement! It smelled and tasted like soy (just like everyone says). I gagged several times trying to drink it. I will fault myself in two areas. 1) I tied to finish off the bottle in one sitting and 2) Poured the entire bottle into a glass and drank away (I was in college...that's what you do!). At that time, I wouldn't have given someone two squirts of piss for another bottle.

Fast Forward 12 years...Curiousity has gotten the better of me and I keep thinking to myself that something couldn't really taste that bad...could it? I thought I would give it another try. This time I thought I would try things a little differently.

Poured two ounces into a small snifter.

A - Opaque dark brown almost black. The liquid clung to the sides of the glass eventually settling back almost like a fortified port.

S - For this bottle at least, the soy smell was no longer present. It was replaced by dark fruits (cherries, dark berries). There was concentrated maple as well as a hint of vanilla.

T - Fruity, lots of raisin. There was just a hint of maple and a bit of a spicy finish. Once again, it reminded me of a well aged port.

M - VERY thick, syrupy. Reminded me of cough syrup as a kid. It felt more like I was drinking a liquer rather than a beer.

D - I think two ounces at a time (I sipped this over the course of about an hour) is the perfect amount. anything more than that and it can easily become overpowering. In small doses, it's very drinkable and quite outstanding.

I don't know if it's because of aging or my tastes drastically changing, but I found the Triple Bock to be exceptional this time around. It truly reminded me of a port rather than a beer. To get flavors like that from barley, hops, maple syrup, yeast and water is impressive.

Springdogg, Feb 05, 2008
3.55/5  rDev +21.6%

Andrew from Bon Vivant shared a bottle with me, nice! Because this seems to be a one time sample brew, can't imagine buying another one - drink ability is way too limited on it.

One thing about this one - never seem such a black brew with a unbelievable viscosity. This stuff literally stuck to the sides of the glass, slowly sliding down.

Aroma and quaff were darn unique too - seems more like a BBQ marinade sauce with all the Worchester and soy sauce. But, did have an interesting balance with a truck load of dark fruit tossed in - heavy on the cherry. Almost a port sherry - tasty and interesting, no alcohol burn, a definite sipper in every way.

Vancer, Feb 04, 2008
2.25/5  rDev -22.9%

I tried this back in 1995 over Thanksgiving weekend, and remember liking it in sips with friends. Memory was better than reliving it this time, unfortunately. I grabbed this in late Fall from the great local Piccadilly, and was unfortunately let down. I tried, people, really I did, and am still willing to allow that my palate might not be right for this. But I won't get it again if I have the chance.

The color is like cream soda rife with vanilla streaks through a chocolate body, really nice. The smell is too heavy, like a cross between brandy and Quaker State, with cedar creeping in. The taste was heavier, like anise mixed with dark beer in a Bad and Plenty concoction. I actually recoiled after the first sip, and I have, with all due humility, a strong palate and stomach. Far too syrupy for me, clearly affecting the mouthfeel.

I just couldn't do it, which was really a letdown considering how excited I was to get it, and how expensive it was to buy. One I'll avoid from here on out. Not my cup of brandy. I'll gladly stick to Winter Lager, Double Bock, the other seasonals and Honey Porter from Sam Adams.

Gehrig, Jan 30, 2008

I have sampled several bottles of SATB. Most were undrinkable due to poor storage conditions, oxidation, extreme autolysis and the general effects of consuming a 10+ year old beer. But, there are still a few good bottles out there and this review is based on one of them.

So this is it, the notorious, the infamous, the controversial Sam Adams Triple Bock...

1997 Vintage

Sampled at room temperature from a wine glass.

a: A deep, dark opaque brown with no carbonation. Looks like the cork had held together on in this bottle, no debris. The syrupy body leaves a brown coating on the side of my glass similar to the red hues that red wine leaves on a wine glass. The only other beer I have seen do this was a dark lord.

s: Alcohol aroma is dominant, as is an overbearing malt profile. Raisins, maple syrup, very sweet and rich.

t: Again, the alcohol can't be masked. Raisin flavor is very strong, maple syrup notes, other dark fruits. A very interesting flavor, definitely one of a kind. I don't think is smells or tastes like soy sauce, though I do understand the reference. I find it very complex and enjoyable. Should be consumed like port or brandy, not beer.

m: Thick, syrupy, it isn't carbonated. Texture is similar to port.

d: Strong warming effect. Hard to give it ranking since it is in a style all by its self. Again, it should be consumed like port or brandy, not beer. Given this and some adjusted expectations, it is very drinkable. After all the reviews and forum posting about this beer, I had assumed I would not enjoy it, but I am pleasantly surprised. A very good "beer."

I recommend pouring it into a wine glass and letting it breath for a while, seems to improve with some air.

BradLikesBrew, Jan 27, 2008
1.93/5  rDev -33.9%

I saw this on the counter at my local beer store and just figured I would try it...I guess this bottle was the 1997 batch

A- This beer poured black as could be looks like used motor oil- had no head at all- the bottling was a sweet-blue glass and a cork...I was impressed.

S-Very strong smell-this is where my being impressed stopped- -on the positive side- dark fruits heavy alcohol with chocolate and wood --unfortunately those smells somehow after a couple whiffs do somehow make up that soy sauce smell. I really didn't like the smell much at all. My wife asked me what the hell I was drinking from the other side of the room after about 30 seconds when the smell got over there

T- Lots of fruits not much alcohol up front --I liked this beer for the first couple tastes---its a lot more boozy in the smell than the taste- but aftertaste is solid maple syrup and finishes with the boozy burn

M- Very thick and smooth - pleasing to the tongue- no carbonation really at all decent mouth feel.

D- This should be served by the shot---0 drink ability-- The tag said to "share it with a few friends" - that is good advice. Drinking this entire bottle just about made me sick.

This was definitely more like a liquor than a beer. I didn't enjoy it much- Either I had a bad bottle or some of the people who rated it higher have some strange taste buds.or only took a couple sips. Never had a 10+ year old bottle of beer before so I have nothing to compare it to.

---I was told something interesting by someone at my beer store- that although it sounds crazy- that this stuff tastes great as a syrup on vanilla ice cream... I think it would taste better with a shot poured over ice cream than as a beer. Im not wasting another $7.

BuffaloBill91, Jan 27, 2008
1.35/5  rDev -53.8%

Just bought a couple bottles of this. I love Doppelbock and thought this would be along the same lines. Boy was I mistaken! THIS IS NOT BEER! this is as close to a mix between Soy sauce, Maple Syrup, and old Port that I have ever seen. The only reason I gave the Appearance a 4 is because the bottle looks kind of cool and it is corked which is unusual. I would not recommend this to anyone. God Awful!

weylinfidler, Jan 24, 2008
2.8/5  rDev -4.1%

Presentation: 8.45 oz. blue (nearly opaque) corked bottle, no dating and from what I've been told that makes it a 1997, poured into a Chimay chalice.

Appearance: Pours a completely opaque deep and dark, black with some brownish hues along the edges of the glass. There is no carbonation to speak of, ergo no head formation at all.

Aroma: Mollasses, along with some maple syrup, oak, and strong alcohol aromas as well.

Taste: Reminds me of soy sauce at first, but it's really more complex than that. The beer turns sweet, with notes of burnt sugar and maple syrup (just a little) in the middle. The finish is woody and at times smokey, you can definitely tell this was aged in oak whiskey barrels. There is a constant alcohol warming throughout.

Mouthfeel: Full bodied, thick and syrupy, almost oily as well. As noted before, there was no carbonation.

Overall: I tried this about 5 years ago when I was first entering the world of beer advocacy, and thought it was disgusting. (I wasn't reviewing beer at that point, so there are no notes to compare, only my memory. ) Half a decade of aging has done little to change the taste, but at least I appreciate it a little more now. Still, I must confess to not liking this very much at all. It's simply too strong for my taste buds to handle. I'm glad Sam Adams tried making something like this, and I'm glad I let it age for a full ten years before trying it, but in the end I'm glad it's gone and I won't be looking for another. If you like strong ales aged in oak barrels, there's a chance you'll enjoy this one.

FenwaySquid, Jan 20, 2008
4.5/5  rDev +54.1%

Black with dark brown around the edges; no signs of a head or carbonation, but it does have nice legs to it. Smell is quite sweet. Strong aromas of chocolate, molasses, maple syrup, port, oak, and a little bit of alcohol. Excellent taste as well, almost like a port paired with some chocolate and maple syrup; almost like breakfast and dessert all rolled together. Very smooth mouthfeel, full bodied, no carbonation. I've had Triple Bock a few times and this is the only time I've gotten a bottle of this quality. I hope to be lucky enough to get a few more bottles like this one.

badbeer, Jan 14, 2008
3.33/5  rDev +14%

Poured ~3.5oz into a snifter on 12/10/07, just found out that this was ten years after it was brewed! I found it at BevMo in Rancho Cucamonga in September.
A: 8.45oz blue bottle - looks like a brown bottle due to the dark color of the beer! Brewed w/ maple syrup, I'll smell and taste for that. Contract brewed in Ceres, CA? What's up with that?
Very dark brown. Swirling leaves a caramelp-colored film on sides of glass. No carbonation?! Looks like liqueur or port. Legs are apparent upon swirling as well.
S: Alcohol, vanilla, chocolate, oak barrel, coffee bean, cherry, almond paste.
T: Coffee, baker's chocolate, dark, dark fruit. I'm eating ice cream too and it goes so well with Ben & Jerry's Fossil Fuel. I don't taste maple syrup. The sweetness is a little cloying, I wish it was a little less sweet, maybe drier. What an amazing experiment in beer though. More like what port is to wine. In fact it opens with a sweet port flavor but quickly transitions to a bitter baker's chocolate finih. Mixed sweet/bitter aftertaste. The last sip tasted amazingly like Ghirardelli semi-sweet chocolate chips.
M: Thick and chewy! (what does that even mean though?!) It settles in a sets up camp on my tongue leavinf flavors there for quite a while. Syrupy - much like maple syrup. Sticks to my lips even, so there's a lip-feel too.
D: Less than 4 oz. is ideal. Great as a dessert pairing, especially with chocolate or vanilla ice creams.

dfillius, Dec 29, 2007
3.75/5  rDev +28.4%

Black color. But really black. No foam. Crazy oily appearance.
The smell: what is it?? Well. Sherry, soy sauce, woody. Full, intense note.
The taste: it has the density of used motor oil. And though, good. Full maltiness, amaretto, soy sauce, molasse.
It is pratically a liquor. Heavy. Full. Cooke plums, chocolate, cherries.
It is so sticking that after two sip the glass changes color.
The strange taste is probably the maple syrup (never tasted).
It is for sure a beer to slowly sip. The taste is alcoholic, heavy, extreme.

stcules, Dec 26, 2007
1.88/5  rDev -35.6%

8.5 ounce bottle purchased from a Beverages and More store somewhere in Orange County for $4.50, was surprised to still see a lot of these bottles there after a decade since its last batch, split with my dad last night

1997 Vintage

Poured into a wine glass with a oily dark brown color, pretty much black but definitely not when held up to the light, absolutely no head, retention, or lacing

Over two dozen black chunks at the bottom of our glasses, showing that it had some serious age under its belt

Stained my clothes badly when I spilled a little bit on it, also stained the inside of the glass, the thickness was shocking, resembled Hershey's chocolate syrup

Smell was almost identical to soy sauce, salty, sour, some molasses, some candy, as well as dark fruit

Taste was super strong, most definitely a sipper, sweet and sour at the same time, hard to get down and tasted more like hard alcohol than beer, quite boozy, very salty, coats the tongue, almost a garlic-like aftertaste, tasted like the sauce I use when I make potstickers, no hops present, just odd flavored malt and syrup that has gone bad, cannot get more than a couple sips down, wow this is some strong stuff

One of the thickest bodies I have ever seen, more so than the majority of Russian Imperial Stouts I have drank, no carbonation and a very long lasting aftertaste

Could not drink more than 2 or 3 ounces of this, could not even finish my small glass yesterday, probably some of the heaviest stuff I have had, the seventeen and half percent alcohol does not help the drinkability out either

Definitely the most unique beer I have had from Samuel Adams, I hope Utopias tastes better than this with its hefty price tag but I am sure it does, I would never drink this again and I do not know if I could recommend anybody else to either, I honestly think this one might need a little more age to develop some more sweetness and mellow out the salty and pungent flavor, but then again it could be well past its prime, very interesting to say the least

Floydster, Dec 25, 2007
4.28/5  rDev +46.6%

Decanted cool from the cobalt blue corked 8.45oz bottle w/ gold leaf for labeling into a snifter. Picked this up at Thirsty's, this was from the '97 bottling.

A - A molasses brown/coffee colored liquid w/ absolutely no head, there is a bit of brussel's lace that clings to the snifter when swirled. Subtle black cherry hues around the edges and some yeast ? particles that dropped out at the bottom which was apparent on the sides of the bottle as well.

S - Nutty and vinous notes, warm port-like aromas w/ a deep woody and fig like aroma. Subtle mocha and roasted/salty notes w/ a hint of maple and herbal notes in the aroma.

M - Vicscous, syrupy and boozy w/ malt wood and bourbon w/ absolutely no effervessence and an almost chocolatey creamy toffee texture.

T - Deep maple, dry flavors w/ bitter sweet cocoa and notes of syrupy sweet malt flavors. A caramel corn nutty quality w/ deep salt tinges all the way to the end of the taste. Currant and fig notes hit the sides of the cheeks w/ intense sugary potency and concentrated fruit notes. Very rich and rum-like cherry soaked essence.

D - Wonderfully drinkable for such a unique and intense brew. Long time in the bottle 10+ years and hardly suffered from what I remember from tasting in years prior. Very little oxidation and rather surprising example of a strong ale w/ American stamp w/ maple and champagne yeast to give it extra juice not for the timid, better than average dirnkability - great for what it is.

S -

Slatetank, Dec 21, 2007
2.65/5  rDev -9.2%

This is my 100th review. I chose this beer because of its unusualness and age (this is a 97 bottle). Honestly I can't even begin to evaluate the attributes of this beer on the numerical scale because it is so over the top and incomparable to anything, but I'll try.

A: The body is pitch black and there is no head whatsoever. It leaves cola colored legs on the side of the glass because it's insanely thick.

S: This aroma is outlandishly pungent. It attacks the nose with harsh notes of soy sauce, boiled prune, rum, and a medicinal chocolate.

T: The taste is a fairly equal facsimile of the smell, with big soy sauce/edamame notes up front and a finish similar to one of those chocolates with rum inside. Significant alcohol burn.

M: This beer is so thick and boozy that it's pretty hard to get down. However the finish is long and dry with a chocolate sweetness coming through and a pleasant warmth in the chest. Good for a cold night.

D: This beer is almost impossible to drink in any appreciable quantity. It might be better served in shot glasses than a snifter. Drinkability is pretty poor.

illidurit, Dec 18, 2007
3.43/5  rDev +17.5%

Into the tulip.
Weird beer. Retired, but still widely available.

A - Black viscous, no lacing. LEGS, like wine, LEGS.

S- Plums, cooked dark fruit, sweet raisins and booze- and yes, soy sauce - major soy.

T - Condensed, distilled flavors.. GEEZ. Coating heavy dark cooked fruit punch.

M - Filling, cloying, really.

D - Not so much.

An interesting beer. Glad to try it.

srandycarter, Dec 16, 2007
3.53/5  rDev +20.9%

Appearance: Dark with no carbonation sort of syrup looking

Smell: Strong fruity odor.

Taste: I know it is made with maple syrup but it tastes of molasses and friut like rasins.

Mouthfeel: Syrupy and thick.

Drinkability: A good evening beer or definately a dessert beer.

MTNboy, Dec 13, 2007
4.38/5  rDev +50%

Life is short! I couldn't help myself, I opened my one and only bottle of this curious libation.

This isn't a beer. No how, no way. Maybe it has some beer ingredients and was brewed in the way beer is made, but the end result just isn't a beer.

If you forced me to review this "triple bock" as a beer I'd give it a 1--but... on second thought....

It poured so dark and so thick it coated my glass with a visible layer that clung to the walls of the glass.

No head- but the nose was reminicent of soy sauce but not actually soy sauce..

It doesn't taste faintly like a beer or ale, but something else----
my elderly dad thought it tasted like Fletcher's Castoria he was fed as a child when constipated over 70 years ago... One might say it has a medicinal flavor, but the flavor was not revolting-- but quite the opposite. It's something different altogether.

It has a very heavy flavor profile-- or perhaps mouthfeel.

I tasted rasins and plums. Digging underneath the thick oil like flavor body were minute hints of hops and malt.

The maple syrup made itself known.

The finish was clean but with a notable presence of alcohol.

I could equate this curious beverage with a Port or Maderia. It's some sort of sipping beverage. And now that the bottle is empty I could see enjoying this "beer" -- and yes, if it was still available at an afforadble price I'd buy a couple of six packs of it!

Bon Appit!

gueuzeonhigh, Dec 06, 2007
1.13/5  rDev -61.3%

11/27/07- Received from my wife in 2004 as a gift beer.

Presentation- 8oz small cobalt blue bottle. Have no idea of the year, but assuming '97. Poured into my Anderson Valley tulip.

Appearance- Black as night pour with about a 1/2 inch deep chocolate head which evaporates in a snap. Leaves solid caked lace sheeting behind. Kind of like legs on wine.

Smell- Oh my God. I wanted to vomit, in fact I did dry heave, but that wasn't until I tasted it. Smells like soy sauce (extra salt added) and molasses together. Not a good marriage. One of the worst things my nose has ever set itself upon. Yet, I have been intruiged and have smelled the cork about 5 times since last night and feel queezy after each time. Lets just say, incredibly vile, but interesting.

Taste- Doesn't get any better here. Really finding it hard to give a proper description because I couldn't only stomach one sip and they almost blew chunks. Salty soy sauce, strong alcohol and thick sugary molasses. Sorry, something about salty beer just doesn't sit right with me.

Mouthfeel- Super thick motor oil which sticks to the back of your throat when you swallow. Salty cough syrup. Castor oil goes down easier.

Drinkability- Zero. One sip is all I needed. Will not ever try any other vintages as well. Right up there if not worse than Crazy Ed's Chili Beer. Totally different vile beer though.

GClarkage, Nov 28, 2007
4.22/5  rDev +44.5%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

This will be my second time sampling this strange brew. I have to admit that last time I was not too impressed, but I figured it deserved a second chance. Not sure as to when this was bottled. Pours an extremely thick black color, with no heading, but a milk chocolate brown rim is at the top of the glass. Aroma is outstanding, and unlike any other beer I have smelled. I get traces of chocolate, burning kindling, rum soaked raisins, vanilla and alcohol. Taste starts off incredibly juicy (chocolate covered cherries?) followed by chocolate and smoke, and finally ending on a heavy coffee aftertaste. This stuff has the ability to permeate out the sinuses to the point that you can taste this beer for hours to come. Mouthfeel is slick and heavy, resembling a port or sherry. Drinkability I would say is up to whoever is tasting it, but for me, this bottle was all to easy to finish. This is one hell of an interesting brew, and one that I am glad I tried again. I was especially surprised that there was little to no alcohol burn. I can only imagine what this brew tasted like when it was new. Either way, worth at least a try. Cheers

jamie2dope, Nov 28, 2007
3.75/5  rDev +28.4%

Vintage? No clue. Little blue bottle with no date. The cork broke upon removal and fell into the bottle, so if there was a date on there, I have no idea.

Looks black as night with no head at all. A swirl in my tulip reveals a terrifying brown syrup that actually leaves legs behind. Wow. The bottle itself had a brown crust on it’s inside with a notable amount of sediment left behind.

Smells of a sweet milky caramel and hoisin sauce with hints of pomegranate and whisky. The alcohol is subtle but powerful. A deep drag singes my nostrils. The sugary sweetness is profound and far from appetizing.

Tastes of huge sticky barley with load of hoisin sauce. Perhaps a paring with Tai food is in order? Fortunately, a deep dark chocolate sneaks up from the depths and draws attention to a red grape and port that restores this beasts integrity. With this comes hints of whiskey and a dry woody oak that blends well with the other dry elements of this brew. Finishes with a touch of sour espresso and baking chocolate.

Feels about as thick as they get. This chewy mouthful is nearly devoid of carbonation, but still works well with the aggressive flavors.

Wow. What to say? It’s worth the experience. I found this at Circle Liquors for $4.50, so I can’t complain.

DarkerTheBetter, Nov 18, 2007
Samuel Adams Triple Bock from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)