Longshot Grätzer - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Longshot GrätzerLongshot Grätzer

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Smoked Beer |  4.40% ABV

(Beer added by: Franziskaner on 04-22-2014)
2.75/5  rDev -18.9%

Schlafly33, May 15, 2014
2.25/5  rDev -33.6%

beerFool28607, May 15, 2014
3.4/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle from Bert's
Pours a hazy light straw color with a huge bubbly white head that persists forever because its fed by a constant stream of carb bubbles. Aromas of spice, bready, wheat, and light yeast and smokey phenols. The flavor is Lightly sweet sugary malt with a touch of spice and a bit of smokey charcoal to counter. Medium body with a moderate to high level of carbonation. Decent enough beer, but not something that excited me or anything I would reach for again.

johnnnniee, May 14, 2014

prototypic, May 11, 2014
4.25/5  rDev +25.4%

Texasfan549, May 10, 2014
3.54/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I love to see modern brewers doing very old or at least obscure styles, and this beer certainly fits in that not many would expect a hazy pale gold beer when hearing the word "smoke" in any variation referring to it. That's what I've got here, though, and with lots of brightness shining through the thick haze. The head only forms a thick layer on top of the beers, but it keeps. Less than a modicum of lacing tries to come down behind it.
Smoke is light in the aroma, but there, with lightly tart, lemony sort of notes. Malts are lightly bready with the wheat, not exceptionally dry but leaning that way with an almost vinous note. A bit of peach and pear, along with green apple, come in too. It ends up being more tart than anything, ultimately.
Smoke is stronger on the tongue, and tartness backs way down for an interesting sweetness. There's actually a hint of some heat lurking. It gives the impression, at one moment, of being almost sour, very meaty smoke comes in and rides into the finish, and a very interesting powdered sugar effect comes in off the sourness and overtakes it. All in all, I must say this is one of the most interesting and off-centered brews I've ever had.
The body is light but verges almost into medium territory, but doesn't quite. It shouldn't though, and the light body is one of the delightful oddities. It has a solid crispness, though it's not quite stolid to the end. It eases into the carbonation and levels out. Smoothness is moderate, not quite able to take full effect but pretty good.

Brenden, May 10, 2014

tdm168, May 10, 2014
3.75/5  rDev +10.6%

enelson, May 10, 2014

BeezNeezy22D, May 09, 2014
3.3/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Enjoy before August 2014.

Pours a murky light orange with a foamy beige head that settles to a partial film on top of the beer. Foamy patches of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smell is of smoked malt, campfire, and earth aromas. Taste is much the same with smoke and fruit flavors on the finish. There is a mild amount of smoke bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a lower level of carbonation with a slightly crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is an above average beer that is drinkable, but the smoke is pretty subtle all around.

UCLABrewN84, May 09, 2014

Benvarine, May 09, 2014
2.68/5  rDev -20.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

A: Pours a hazy golden color. The head is a finger high, and white in shade. There isn't much in the way of good retention. Tiny wisps of lacing are left behind.

S: Primarily, I notice a lot of smoke. Unfortunately, it's more hammy than woody (not what I want from a smoked beer). I get faint touches of lemon and grass, too. These two elements could stand to be bolder in order to stand up to the smoke better.

T: Just like the nose indicated, the smoky notes dominate. And also just like the nose indicated, it more resembles a ham flavor instead of a (desired) dry woodiness. It becomes a touch more lemony after a few sips, but it's not enough. Another thing I could use is more hoppiness to balance out some of the sweetness.

M: No real complaints about the body: it's nicely full for 4.4%, yet still light enough to chug. There's also a nice creaminess to the texture. Carbonation is average, maybe a bit below that. As always, I could use more dryness, but I'll refrain from bitching any more.

O: I always get a Longshot six pack every year - even if they're not the best beers, they're always fun to try. While this one isn't particularly good, it's also unique in that I've never had a gratzer before. Ergo I can't hate this one - still, I think it would be much better with more hoppiness, more lemon tartness, and a drier, more subtle smoke.

ThisWangsChung, May 08, 2014
3.46/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

I picked up a bottle of Samuel Adams Gratzer from their Longshot series. This is the last beer I have yet to try of the three different beers that are in this years LongShot six pack, i'm interested to see how this one turns out, so lets see how it goes. Best by August. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a imperial pint glass.

A- The label looks ok and in typical Longshot fashion it has the face of the winner. It poured a slightly hazy slightly pale yellow color that took on more of a golden color when held to the light with two fingers worth of slightly creamy white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left a little bit of spotty and patchy lacing behind. This was a pretty nice looking beer, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness followed by the smoke being the first to show up and it imparts a smokey campfire like aroma followed by the malts which impart s sweet malt, wheat, slightly grainy and bready aromas followed by some typical orange rind and coriander like aromas. This beer had a nice aroma, there was some nice balance to it.

T- The taste starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness followed by the smoke still being the first to show up and it still impart a campfire like aspect and it's followed by the malts that impart the same aspects that they did in the aroma with the wheat and bready flavors seeming to stick out the most. Up next comes the those typical Belgian wit bier flavors with some coriander and orange rind like flavors showing up. On the finish there's pretty much no bitterness with a Belgian wit bier like aftertaste. This was a nice tasting beer, but I didn't think the smoke complimented the Belgian Wit Bier base.

M- Smooth a little clean, crisp, on the thicker side of being light bodied with a higher amount of medium carbonation. This beer had a nice mouthfeel that worked well with it.

Overall I thought this was a decent beer and I thought it was a solid example of Gratzer, this is the first one I've had one and while I thought it was solid, I don't think I'm too into the style since I don't think the smoke and the Belgian Wit bier base worked that great together and I think just as a smoked beer I would say it's right around average. This beer had decent drinkability, it was smooth, a little clean, crisp and not filling, but the taste didn't do the best job at holding my attention and I think one would be enough for me since I don't really have the urge to drink another one in a row, but I think this would be nice to have in the spring or early fall. What I liked the most about this beer was the balance, when it came to the the taste neither the malt base or the smokey aspect were too overpowering. What I liked the least about this beer was how the smokey aspect worked with the Belgian Wit Bier base, it just didn't meld together that great and I felt like the orange rind and coriander aspect clashed with the smoke. I wouldn't buy this beer on it's own and I wouldn't recommend it. All in all I wasn't too impressed with this one, it left me wishing that the flavors worked together better and i thought that made it a little rough around the edges. This is isn't my favorite smoked beer or my favorite Longshot beer, I just don't think it's too memorable. As a whole i wasn't too impressed with this years LongShot series and I thought the American Stout was the best beer in the Six pack with the Pineapple IPA was my least favorite by a good amount, the 2012 Longshot six pack is still far and away my favorite year for this series. I appreciate the effort, but this one just wasn't for me, better luck next time.

StoutHunter, May 07, 2014

SonictheBeerhog, May 05, 2014
3.31/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

A: Pillowy two finger head, bright white in color with tight fine bubbles. Nice coating of lacing as the foam slowly fell. Golden yellow color with mild haze. A constant stream of bubbles coming up from the bottom of the glass.

S: Moderate smokey phenols with a bready malt undertone. Reminds me of smelling a shirt the day after sitting by a camp fire. No hop aroma, but there is a little bit of sweetness from the malt.

T: Moderate smoke character with a wheat and bready malt flavor. A very rustic vibe with a mild sweetness that reminds me of a kolsch. Very clean and drinkable. Bitterness is very low and the balance is on the malt side.

M: Crisp and clean drinkability. Body is moderate with carbonation being on the higher side.

O: A nice smokey character with good drinkability and a bit of sweetness. Not something I would drink regularly, but this was nice. Good job Cesar!

guityler83, May 04, 2014

jbertsch, May 04, 2014

ColdWaffles, May 03, 2014
3.74/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Moderately hazy with a pale golden color. A half inch head of tightly woven foam rests on top,but most of it fades. A trace of Brussels lacing is present. Aroma of pale wheat with a slightly sweet faint overly ripe banana note. The flavor provides a nice burst of smokiness that dominates the front of the pale. You get a rush of pale wheat and then on the fade a deep campfire like smokey fade. I wish there was a bit of the smokiness in the aroma to join it as it catches you off guard. The body is light and crisp.

Franziskaner, May 03, 2014

bcsbeer, Apr 29, 2014

Stofko1992, Apr 28, 2014
Longshot Grätzer from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)