Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Samuel Adams Boston Ale (Stock Ale) - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Boston Ale (Stock Ale)Samuel Adams Boston Ale (Stock Ale)

good

good

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

English Pale Ale |  5.40% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-12-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Boston Ale (Stock Ale) Alström Bros
Reviews: 962 | Hads: 2,010

Boston ale is an excellent part of the sam adams line. it has a good taste, it isnt bitter, smeels and appears nice also. not overwhelming flavor but not watered down. tastes the way an ale should, has to be one of my all time favortie from sam adams. (251 characters)

This is by far and away my favorite beer in my favorite style, and thus it is my first and only perfect 5. I’ve always loved most of Jim Koch’s beers, but when I’ve got to convince a doubter as to the quality of American beers, I tell them to have a Sam Adams Boston Ale, as it is simply world class. The Beer Advocate, Todd A., hits the nail on the head when he said this was a perfectly balanced beer. This is a “mass produced” (almost) beer you can give to the greatest beer snobs of Europe, and convince them that the Colonies can produce a unique, yet world class, beer. A great beer. (622 characters)

has in between a golden and amber look to it. Smell of some caramel. Taste of apricot and caramel. The mouthful says it all. A sweet feeling and taste that begs you to drink more and more. Drinkabilty is fine, Goes down easy and able to drink a good six pack (258 characters)

This is Sam Adam's crowning achievement. Perfect in every way. It's smooth as hell going down but has a lot of character. I love their lager, but this is a cut above anything else they've ever done. This may just be the best mass produced beer around. This and Guiness are my two favorites. If I were rich and could afford to drink as much as I wanted I'd be dead within a few days from drinking this beer 12 hours out of every day. (432 characters)

4.89/5  rDev +31.8%

Appearance is exactly what I want in an APA (and this is probably the beer that got me hooked onto APAs). Lovely amber color with an off-white head that doesn't stick around but does lace somewhat and clings to the glass. Nice looking.

Smell is light floral hop boquet blended with a touch of malt. Truly exceptional blend of aromas that makes my mouth water whenever I smell it.

Taste is of light malts with touches of hops throughout. Excellent balance and you always get a dose of hoppiness (but it never pushes it over the edge). Fantastically balanced flavor and I truly wish that more beers would meld flavors into a single cohesive flavor that works harmoniously as this beer does.

Mouthfeel is nearly perfect, crisp, clean, smooth, somewhat creamy. Only deduction is that there's a somewhat bitter carbonation sensation going on near the back end of each gulp. The bitterness abates before the finish but is offputting enough to deduct half a point from an otherwise exceptional drinking experience.

Drinkability is outstanding. I specifically search for this beer every year. Oddly enough, it's hard for me to find in my area as you can easily find almost every other Sam Adams product easier than this one, excepting Utopias and the brewery-specific area-limited-releases. Give this one a try and you won't be sorry. I try to sample this beer every year as part of my annual rotation. (1,398 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +30.7%

pours a bright copper penny color with a two or three finger head depending on your pour with a fair lacing to the finish. very simular to samuel adams boston lager. smell is bready, toffee, and hoppy. taste same with middle of the road flavor not weak but not to strong. very good balance of malt and hop, smooth with lots of carbonation. just a great beer for your everyday drinking. (385 characters)

4.83/5  rDev +30.2%

Pours out a rich clear amble color with a massive creamy off white head. The head retention is perfect! Stays thick and foamy throughout the life of the beer.

At first sniff I get a big malty. Sweet and bread like. The hop is floral but blends in with malt perfectly.

Mmmm, I love how they perfectly balance malt sweetness with hop bitterness. Very English though!! I get a small hint dialectal finishing the toasted malt. The malt brings out kind of a sweet fruit flavor as well, and along with the hop some citrus as well.

The body is medium and is perfect for session drinking.

This is truly one of my favorite pale ales. You can never go wrong with a fresh 6 pack of Boston Ale. (689 characters)

4.76/5  rDev +28.3%

Execellent, smooth ale, not as recognized as their other beers. Goes with all types of food. A good starter beer for someone trying to expand their tastes to full bodied ales. (178 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +26.7%

Boston Ale pours a wonderful golden honey/amber. I poured it a bit rough, do that a lot on purpose just to see what happens. A real Bill Nye the Science Guy, huh? Made a mess with the Orval, but that's another review...

The Ale held its head better than the lager, keeping an inch or more for several minutes. This is my first Boston Ale after many, many Boston Lagers. The smell to me smells, well, pretty much like what the Lager might taste like. I was beginning to wonder if I would be able to tell the difference. No problem. That first taste had me wondering why I waited so long to try it. A great ale. Big sweet malt, easily sweeter than the Lager. Not sugary sweet like the Cranberry Lambic, just malty sweet.

There is a lightly bitter taste, much less than the lager, then just maybe a slightly acrid aftertaste? Not sure, I'm trying real hard to taste everything about this the first time around and hopefully not overdoing it.

Bottom line - this is such a dangerously smooth beer, I could drink it all night, perhaps more so than the Lager. A no-brainer for a session beer, I would drink all you brought me, or fall off my chair trying. (1,157 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +26.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Rich copper color, good carbonation. A rocky, multi-level just-slightly-off-white head with popping bubbles. Nice lacing. A deep floral and fruity hoppy nose. Outstanding balance between the hops and the malt in the mouth. They are both there, working in harmony. Smooth, rich mouthfeel. Bottle doesn't list recipe, but it seems like there might be some chocolate or roasted malt. A neglected star in the Sammy galaxy. The seasonals, the experiments, the Light and the Lager get the pushes, but this one deserves more attention. Next time Jim needs to trim the line, drop the Pale Ale, it might distract people from this. (623 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +25.3%

Unforunately this brew is hard to find since the lager, light, and seasonal brews are always on display. I was lucky enough to find one 12 pack in my local Shaws on sale for $10.99. The brew is and has always been my favorite from Sam Adams. Well, nothing changed with this purchase, in fact I think I got a pretty lively batch. I have nothing more to say except seek out an American classic- stock ale. (403 characters)

4.63/5  rDev +24.8%

By far the best Ale brewed in America!
I love this beer - never had a "bad" Sammy
The amber color is beautiful in a pint glass, the head is thick and rich, and oh, the taste!
This is now packaged as part of their "brewmaster's collection" series but it was this beer along with Boston Lager that put Sam on the map.
I did a tour of the brewery on a trip to Boston and met Jim Koch. Jim told us that he got the recipie for this ale from a book of beer recipies in his father's attic. I'm glad his dad kept the recipie around.
This beer is a smooth, refined version of a classic ale and I would reccomend that it be tried by anyone who likes a good beer!

please drink responsibly or just pass out on your own couch! (722 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +24%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Always a good choice. The Boston Ale has a golden amber color with good clarity and carbonation. It forms a thick off white head that leaves nice lacing on the glass. Its aroma is malty sweet with a hint of honey and floral hops. On the tongue the malts are bready and lightly toasty. The hops are light and have a nice piney and citrus bitterness that fades slowly into the finish. I really like the balance on this ale and I fined it to be very drinkable and refreshing. Cheers! (480 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +23.2%

This beer poured a thick off white head with a somewhat clear amber/brown orange body.

The nose had a big thick malt smell. Some fruit, slight wood, some hints of smoke, caramel and toasted malt.

The taste is big and thick, with a smooth creamy medium bodied malt. Toasted bisquit malt. Slightly grainy and dry, but a serious malt taste. A slight metalic taste. Some woody earthy hops. A smooth even bitterness. Some soft citrus lemon peel. Basically it starts very smooth and ends with a nice earthy and citrus bitterness.

Overall, this is just an amazing and so often overlooked beer. It's so good I'm amazed Sam Adams hasn't discontinued it. Not your complex belgian trapist or anything like that, just a great drinkable all around fridge beer. (756 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +23.2%

I was very impressed with this offering from Boston Beer. Having just experienced a poor case of Double Bock and a slightly dissapointing Weiss, this beer was truly a treat. I love the way the malt flavors play off the bitterness of the hops. Wonderful, inviting color and aroma, with a nice thick head that slowly dissipates but leaves a reminder that it was there. Very good ale. It would be easy to drink too many of these. (431 characters)

4.53/5  rDev +22.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

In America, really is there any brewer who isn't as "wired in" as Sam Adams?

I have seen their Master Brewer on many TV commercials, yet I can't remember his name. But yet that does not matter, because he- and they- make some of the greatest beer coming out of the United States.

This "Boston Ale" is just an example. Good stuff all around. The smell is instantly good. Some caramel(already), some Hops (yes!)

Taste. What a classic taste. This beer from Sam Adams should be perhaps their signature beer, but thats me. Yet I can accept that, as long as my local distributer has the "Ale" version available. I love it!

If you want justification, this is it. This beer from Sam Adams is one GREAT beer.

Overall, try this beer. Good luck. (742 characters)

4.53/5  rDev +22.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

It has a typical Amber color for an ale with a nice aroma. A good bitter intitial flavor leaving the mouth tingly at the start and at the finish giving a good portion of hops for an American mass produced product. Leaves a nice malty flavor on ones palate. Overall a good drinking ale. (285 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +21.8%

12oz bottle into mug. Bottled in March.

Solid amber hue with a solid light tan head that has solid retention. Solid lacing creating layers all the way down the glass.

Solid sweet malts with notes of buttery diacetyl. Very grainy, with leafy hoppy scents slightly detectable. Some caramel can be detected.

Solid malty flavors combined with a balanced smooth hop presence. The hops don't really bitter the beer, but give a good flavor to pair with the malts. Solid medium body with modest carbonation lends a very smooth finish with a bit of lingering hops.

This beer is getting a high score not because I'm biased towards Sam Adams, but because this beer is truely exceptional. It's comforting to know you can find a beer of this quality with this flavor just about anywhere in the country, on-tap or in the bottle. To me this beer is more of an English Pale Ale, with the hops being present but not potent or bittering like in the American Pale Ale versions. All classificatoins aside, there is only way to describe this beer: solid. (1,048 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +21.8%

Ahh, another one of my old stand-by beers. Now that I've started to get my beer-smarts on, I can appreciate it a bit more.

Appearance: Pours a nice reddish-amber color, clear. Nice big tan head, I'm about halfway through the glass and the head is mostly gone by now. Some lacing, but not too much.

Smell: A little on the spicy side, I really need to quit smoking so I can get a better nose for my beers.

Taste: Nice balance of sweetness and bitterness. Sort of a carmel undertone throughout.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, good carbonation, alcohol is very well masked.

Drinkability: This is a beer that is very easy to enjoy. It has stood the test of time very well with me, I could drink these all night long and not get bored with them. It's a lot easier to find than some of the higher rated beers, but IMHO, stands up well to most of them. (847 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +21.8%

This is very tasty, nicely balanced ale. It is among the more English-style American ales I've had, both in character and balance.

Amber-copper, it has a large, off-white head shirnks slowly and leaves a little weak lace.

It has a very fruity and leafy aroma is with tea, a little bread, hints of citrus grapefruit, pine.

The taste is earthy and leafy as well, with bread, fruit, a little caramel, citrus and pine. Clean, leafy bitterness nicely balances the sweetness. It is a bit like Old Speckled Hen. (509 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +21.3%

A red-amber appearance colors the glass as this one is poured. Nice head, although it diminishes a bit too much as you drink. A definitely nice hop aroma. A sweet malty and slight hop flavor. Smooth and calm across the palate, but noticeably present. (250 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +21.3%

Interesting beer with alot of malty and hoppy character

A- Very, very nice lacing from a fluffy head. Transparent copper/caramel color

S- This beer smells like it was brewed from ingredients that were actually grown in the ground. Smells like a mix of earthy malts and gritty, full-leaf hops

T- Tastes alot like it smells with malts and hops coming together to make something very refreshing and surprisingly smooth

M- Feel is very light on the tongue, but somehow filling and full-bodied as well.

D- Great beer for refreshment (532 characters)

4.48/5  rDev +20.8%

Amber in color with a soft pillowy head.

Smooth and very drinkable - well balanced ale -- you can drink four or five of these in a sitting and all is well with the world.

On a winter day watching football I preferred this "Stock Ale" to the Sam Adams Lager (263 characters)

This beer is awesome...

Poured it into a big pilsner glass and it was like a dark, raw honey carmel color. Great appearance.

The first thing i smell in this one is carmel along with a bit of hops and some nice malt...very well balanced...

Taste is full of sweetness with hints of bitter hops and carmel candy...absolutely wonderful...dont get me wrong..it isnt too sweet...again, very well balanced...

Mouthfeel is great , not too much carbonation not too little, great to drink by itself.

Drinkability is like...WOW.... Thelow alcohol content is nice because it makes this great tasting beer so drinkable... I love a strong ale but this one is fun because you can keep drinking it without getting too trashed lol.... (732 characters)

4.48/5  rDev +20.8%

This beer pours a nice amberish colour with an orange hue that is very impressive! This one caught me off guard with the perfect balance of hops and malts for a ale, it's very delicious and fairly similar the the lager which isn't bad at all another delicious brew from SA! (273 characters)

Samuel Adams Boston Ale (Stock Ale) from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)