Samuel Adams Boston Ale (Stock Ale) - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Boston Ale (Stock Ale)Samuel Adams Boston Ale (Stock Ale)

good

good

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

English Pale Ale |  5.40% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-12-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Boston Ale (Stock Ale) Alström Bros

Boston ale is an excellent part of the sam adams line. it has a good taste, it isnt bitter, smeels and appears nice also. not overwhelming flavor but not watered down. tastes the way an ale should, has to be one of my all time favortie from sam adams.

twi1609372, Nov 14, 2002

This is by far and away my favorite beer in my favorite style, and thus it is my first and only perfect 5. I’ve always loved most of Jim Koch’s beers, but when I’ve got to convince a doubter as to the quality of American beers, I tell them to have a Sam Adams Boston Ale, as it is simply world class. The Beer Advocate, Todd A., hits the nail on the head when he said this was a perfectly balanced beer. This is a “mass produced” (almost) beer you can give to the greatest beer snobs of Europe, and convince them that the Colonies can produce a unique, yet world class, beer. A great beer.

jackndan, Apr 12, 2002

hsvphy, Oct 18, 2014

has in between a golden and amber look to it. Smell of some caramel. Taste of apricot and caramel. The mouthful says it all. A sweet feeling and taste that begs you to drink more and more. Drinkabilty is fine, Goes down easy and able to drink a good six pack

yuenglingfan101, Mar 12, 2011

beershlitz, Nov 19, 2011

This is Sam Adam's crowning achievement. Perfect in every way. It's smooth as hell going down but has a lot of character. I love their lager, but this is a cut above anything else they've ever done. This may just be the best mass produced beer around. This and Guiness are my two favorites. If I were rich and could afford to drink as much as I wanted I'd be dead within a few days from drinking this beer 12 hours out of every day.

abriggs1, Dec 20, 2007

oneturbucfan, Dec 10, 2011

BeerNut78, Jan 25, 2012

59rockabilly, Jun 05, 2012
4.9/5  rDev +35%

Appearance is exactly what I want in an APA (and this is probably the beer that got me hooked onto APAs). Lovely amber color with an off-white head that doesn't stick around but does lace somewhat and clings to the glass. Nice looking.

Smell is light floral hop boquet blended with a touch of malt. Truly exceptional blend of aromas that makes my mouth water whenever I smell it.

Taste is of light malts with touches of hops throughout. Excellent balance and you always get a dose of hoppiness (but it never pushes it over the edge). Fantastically balanced flavor and I truly wish that more beers would meld flavors into a single cohesive flavor that works harmoniously as this beer does.

Mouthfeel is nearly perfect, crisp, clean, smooth, somewhat creamy. Only deduction is that there's a somewhat bitter carbonation sensation going on near the back end of each gulp. The bitterness abates before the finish but is offputting enough to deduct half a point from an otherwise exceptional drinking experience.

Drinkability is outstanding. I specifically search for this beer every year. Oddly enough, it's hard for me to find in my area as you can easily find almost every other Sam Adams product easier than this one, excepting Utopias and the brewery-specific area-limited-releases. Give this one a try and you won't be sorry. I try to sample this beer every year as part of my annual rotation.

xare, Jul 28, 2008
4.88/5  rDev +34.4%

pours a bright copper penny color with a two or three finger head depending on your pour with a fair lacing to the finish. very simular to samuel adams boston lager. smell is bready, toffee, and hoppy. taste same with middle of the road flavor not weak but not to strong. very good balance of malt and hop, smooth with lots of carbonation. just a great beer for your everyday drinking.

billybob, Feb 08, 2007
4.85/5  rDev +33.6%

Pours out a rich clear amble color with a massive creamy off white head. The head retention is perfect! Stays thick and foamy throughout the life of the beer.

At first sniff I get a big malty. Sweet and bread like. The hop is floral but blends in with malt perfectly.

Mmmm, I love how they perfectly balance malt sweetness with hop bitterness. Very English though!! I get a small hint dialectal finishing the toasted malt. The malt brings out kind of a sweet fruit flavor as well, and along with the hop some citrus as well.

The body is medium and is perfect for session drinking.

This is truly one of my favorite pale ales. You can never go wrong with a fresh 6 pack of Boston Ale.

Luigi, Apr 18, 2012
4.8/5  rDev +32.2%

Execellent, smooth ale, not as recognized as their other beers. Goes with all types of food. A good starter beer for someone trying to expand their tastes to full bodied ales.

AaronRed, Aug 12, 2001
4.75/5  rDev +30.9%

Boston Ale pours a wonderful golden honey/amber. I poured it a bit rough, do that a lot on purpose just to see what happens. A real Bill Nye the Science Guy, huh? Made a mess with the Orval, but that's another review...

The Ale held its head better than the lager, keeping an inch or more for several minutes. This is my first Boston Ale after many, many Boston Lagers. The smell to me smells, well, pretty much like what the Lager might taste like. I was beginning to wonder if I would be able to tell the difference. No problem. That first taste had me wondering why I waited so long to try it. A great ale. Big sweet malt, easily sweeter than the Lager. Not sugary sweet like the Cranberry Lambic, just malty sweet.

There is a lightly bitter taste, much less than the lager, then just maybe a slightly acrid aftertaste? Not sure, I'm trying real hard to taste everything about this the first time around and hopefully not overdoing it.

Bottom line - this is such a dangerously smooth beer, I could drink it all night, perhaps more so than the Lager. A no-brainer for a session beer, I would drink all you brought me, or fall off my chair trying.

brewdlyhooked13, Apr 20, 2003

Arnold, Nov 13, 2012

Mortarforker, Sep 08, 2012
4.72/5  rDev +30%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Rich copper color, good carbonation. A rocky, multi-level just-slightly-off-white head with popping bubbles. Nice lacing. A deep floral and fruity hoppy nose. Outstanding balance between the hops and the malt in the mouth. They are both there, working in harmony. Smooth, rich mouthfeel. Bottle doesn't list recipe, but it seems like there might be some chocolate or roasted malt. A neglected star in the Sammy galaxy. The seasonals, the experiments, the Light and the Lager get the pushes, but this one deserves more attention. Next time Jim needs to trim the line, drop the Pale Ale, it might distract people from this.

RonfromJersey, Jun 15, 2002
4.65/5  rDev +28.1%

Unforunately this brew is hard to find since the lager, light, and seasonal brews are always on display. I was lucky enough to find one 12 pack in my local Shaws on sale for $10.99. The brew is and has always been my favorite from Sam Adams. Well, nothing changed with this purchase, in fact I think I got a pretty lively batch. I have nothing more to say except seek out an American classic- stock ale.

pabstsmear, May 18, 2008
4.63/5  rDev +27.5%

By far the best Ale brewed in America!
I love this beer - never had a "bad" Sammy
The amber color is beautiful in a pint glass, the head is thick and rich, and oh, the taste!
This is now packaged as part of their "brewmaster's collection" series but it was this beer along with Boston Lager that put Sam on the map.
I did a tour of the brewery on a trip to Boston and met Jim Koch. Jim told us that he got the recipie for this ale from a book of beer recipies in his father's attic. I'm glad his dad kept the recipie around.
This beer is a smooth, refined version of a classic ale and I would reccomend that it be tried by anyone who likes a good beer!

please drink responsibly or just pass out on your own couch!

JoeyBeerBelly, Jan 13, 2007
4.6/5  rDev +26.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Always a good choice. The Boston Ale has a golden amber color with good clarity and carbonation. It forms a thick off white head that leaves nice lacing on the glass. Its aroma is malty sweet with a hint of honey and floral hops. On the tongue the malts are bready and lightly toasty. The hops are light and have a nice piney and citrus bitterness that fades slowly into the finish. I really like the balance on this ale and I fined it to be very drinkable and refreshing. Cheers!

generallee, May 02, 2008
4.58/5  rDev +26.2%

This beer poured a thick off white head with a somewhat clear amber/brown orange body.

The nose had a big thick malt smell. Some fruit, slight wood, some hints of smoke, caramel and toasted malt.

The taste is big and thick, with a smooth creamy medium bodied malt. Toasted bisquit malt. Slightly grainy and dry, but a serious malt taste. A slight metalic taste. Some woody earthy hops. A smooth even bitterness. Some soft citrus lemon peel. Basically it starts very smooth and ends with a nice earthy and citrus bitterness.

Overall, this is just an amazing and so often overlooked beer. It's so good I'm amazed Sam Adams hasn't discontinued it. Not your complex belgian trapist or anything like that, just a great drinkable all around fridge beer.

taez555, Aug 25, 2003
Samuel Adams Boston Ale (Stock Ale) from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)