Samuel Adams Boston Ale (Stock Ale) - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Boston Ale (Stock Ale)Samuel Adams Boston Ale (Stock Ale)

good

good

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

English Pale Ale |  5.40% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-12-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Boston Ale (Stock Ale) Alström Bros

1.5/5  rDev -58.6%

I have had roughly two dozen different types of Sam Adams beer and this is in my opinion by far the worst. Nearly undrinkable, this beer is a disgrace to the brewery.

1.6/5  rDev -55.8%

Completely over rated beer. I hate the flavor tastes like soap.

1.75/5  rDev -51.7%

1.94/5  rDev -46.4%

A watery stock ale? A rather odd APA? I have no idea what this beer is. Not much nose on this one and what there is isn't great. Pours like most sam adams, large but thin bodied head, lots of carbonation and this one is a dark amber copper color. Taste...well it's like a watery stock ale with some European style pale ale characteristics...which begs why this is called an APA. Sierra, stone, and every other great American brewer is doing a face palm at this being called an APA. It's not as drinkable as you'd think given everything else and the mouth feel is a bit off for the flavors. I just feel this is a failed beer that's got a lot of potential.

2.24/5  rDev -38.1%

2.32/5  rDev -35.9%

Pours a clear halfway-in-between golden and amber color. A healthy looking head sits atop the liquid. Nice and craggy with good retention and lacing, both of which are probably above average for the style.

The nose is nearly impossible to detect, even very close up... I can just barely pick out some biscuity malts.

This medium-bodied beer tastes of biscuits, sweet maple syrup, with low key white grapefruit and pine. A crisp bitter edge complements each sip. Unfortunately, the whole glass did not taste as good as the above description might imply. As it warmed, some flaws began to show up: a nasty plastic flavor, an inappropriate astringency and an unsettling artificial, fruit roll-ups-esque flavor. All of the following made it almost painful to finish the glass.

WTF? I don't know what went wrong here, but I would not drink this one again. Terrible pale ale. It was nearing the "best by" date, but even if it was past it, I don't see any justification of these flaws. Sam Adams is hit or miss for me... and this is definitely a miss.

2.4/5  rDev -33.7%

I have no idea why breweries brew more than one style of beer and slap different names on them? Anyway, Sam Adam's Boston Ale pours a reddish-copper color. The aroma resembles mostly malt with some hint of alcohol in the background. The taste is much of the same. There's that sweetness at the beginning that I also noticed in the Pale Ale. Still too much malt flavor for my liking. It feels to me like SA didn't really try on this beer and that's never a good thing. I hope SA doesn't decide to make an IPA because so far, their Pale Ales are too similar and unimpressive.

2.42/5  rDev -33.1%

I've had this bottle of Boston Ale for over a year. I bought a 6 pack and tried one and hated it. I used four for my barbecue which came out great. I had one more left that I forgot about and decided to drink it for opening day of the Major League Baseball season.

I poured the beer into a glass and got very little head. The color is a reddish brown and clear with hops floating around in the beer. Don't care for the smell. I smell a nutty to carmel scent that is very loud and not attractive.

When drinking the beer I noticed that the beer is light and almost watery like a lager. You get the carmel to nutty taste that goes away as you drink it down. This beer will do in a pinch but, its not something that I would buy again. Kinda like drinking butterscotch.

Samuel Adams Boston Ale (Stock Ale) from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)