Samuel Adams Boston Ale (Stock Ale) - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Boston Ale (Stock Ale)Samuel Adams Boston Ale (Stock Ale)

good

good

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

English Pale Ale |  5.40% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-12-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Boston Ale (Stock Ale) Alström Bros
Happy_Camper

08-04-2012 03:31:28 | More by Barbie
bobhits

Kentucky

1.93/5  rDev -46.8%

A watery stock ale? A rather odd APA? I have no idea what this beer is. Not much nose on this one and what there is isn't great. Pours like most sam adams, large but thin bodied head, lots of carbonation and this one is a dark amber copper color. Taste...well it's like a watery stock ale with some European style pale ale characteristics...which begs why this is called an APA. Sierra, stone, and every other great American brewer is doing a face palm at this being called an APA. It's not as drinkable as you'd think given everything else and the mouth feel is a bit off for the flavors. I just feel this is a failed beer that's got a lot of potential.

09-06-2010 20:10:48 | More by bobhits

CycleHops

08-13-2014 01:05:06 | More by CycleHops
sarahspat

2.3/5  rDev -36.6%

Pours a clear halfway-in-between golden and amber color. A healthy looking head sits atop the liquid. Nice and craggy with good retention and lacing, both of which are probably above average for the style.

The nose is nearly impossible to detect, even very close up... I can just barely pick out some biscuity malts.

This medium-bodied beer tastes of biscuits, sweet maple syrup, with low key white grapefruit and pine. A crisp bitter edge complements each sip. Unfortunately, the whole glass did not taste as good as the above description might imply. As it warmed, some flaws began to show up: a nasty plastic flavor, an inappropriate astringency and an unsettling artificial, fruit roll-ups-esque flavor. All of the following made it almost painful to finish the glass.

WTF? I don't know what went wrong here, but I would not drink this one again. Terrible pale ale. It was nearing the "best by" date, but even if it was past it, I don't see any justification of these flaws. Sam Adams is hit or miss for me... and this is definitely a miss.

06-09-2009 12:58:23 | More by sarahspat
Brad007

Vermont

2.35/5  rDev -35.3%

I have no idea why breweries brew more than one style of beer and slap different names on them? Anyway, Sam Adam's Boston Ale pours a reddish-copper color. The aroma resembles mostly malt with some hint of alcohol in the background. The taste is much of the same. There's that sweetness at the beginning that I also noticed in the Pale Ale. Still too much malt flavor for my liking. It feels to me like SA didn't really try on this beer and that's never a good thing. I hope SA doesn't decide to make an IPA because so far, their Pale Ales are too similar and unimpressive.

05-06-2007 01:44:03 | More by Brad007
osi

2.38/5  rDev -34.4%

A - Poured light amber with a pretty impressive head. When faded the lace hung around with more than just a film.

S - Smelled of malts with a slight plum undertone on the backend.

T - Mix of malts and hops that was very even and balanced. Alcohol was somewhat apparent with bitterness too.

M - Good average mouthfeel. Suited the flavor output of the beer. Just in the middle weight wise.

D - I expected more flavor out of this beer rather than the watered down taste it presented. Not sure if I had a bad bottle or not but I will try this beer and if necessary modify my review.

I would not drink this regularly.

02-21-2008 15:51:38 | More by osi
AllThingsNinja

2.38/5  rDev -34.4%

This brew’s average appearance, with a reddish-gold body and a misty white head, is its best feature. The subtle aroma of dried hopes wasn’t too bad – but the watery brew went down hill from there. Stale, or over-dried hops dominated the flavor, all but silencing hints of caramel malts. Remarkably, low taste brew retained notes of the quintessential S.A. house flavor. While I could drink a fair amount of this brew, I don’t see why I’d try.

06-24-2004 19:56:07 | More by AllThingsNinja
Klondike

2.4/5  rDev -33.9%

I've had this bottle of Boston Ale for over a year. I bought a 6 pack and tried one and hated it. I used four for my barbecue which came out great. I had one more left that I forgot about and decided to drink it for opening day of the Major League Baseball season.

I poured the beer into a glass and got very little head. The color is a reddish brown and clear with hops floating around in the beer. Don't care for the smell. I smell a nutty to carmel scent that is very loud and not attractive.

When drinking the beer I noticed that the beer is light and almost watery like a lager. You get the carmel to nutty taste that goes away as you drink it down. This beer will do in a pinch but, its not something that I would buy again. Kinda like drinking butterscotch.

04-01-2008 04:37:29 | More by Klondike
peabody

Kentucky

2.48/5  rDev -31.7%

Pours out like weak Ice Tea. Slight white suds but nice lacing.
Slight wheat and caramel smell. Nothing really strong.
Very bland tasting with almost nothing going on.
This is a not a tasty beer. Might be too old or something.
You could drink a whole bunch of these but who in their right mind would want to?

12-31-2006 09:19:07 | More by peabody
Freshie

2.48/5  rDev -31.7%

Pale golden color, clear. One finger frothy head.

I couldn't detect much aroma, but the beer was very cold. A bit of hops I guess.

I tasted some roasted malts with oliy hop. The after-taste was stale and bitter.

Not sure whether all of this was the bar's fault or the brewer's, but not a good time. I will try the bottle at some point and re-review.

04-11-2006 00:03:14 | More by Freshie
Samuel Adams Boston Ale (Stock Ale) from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)