Samuel Adams Boston Ale (Stock Ale) - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Boston Ale (Stock Ale)Samuel Adams Boston Ale (Stock Ale)

good

good

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

English Pale Ale |  5.40% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-12-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Boston Ale (Stock Ale) Alström Bros
2.43/5  rDev -32.9%

A - Poured light amber with a pretty impressive head. When faded the lace hung around with more than just a film.

S - Smelled of malts with a slight plum undertone on the backend.

T - Mix of malts and hops that was very even and balanced. Alcohol was somewhat apparent with bitterness too.

M - Good average mouthfeel. Suited the flavor output of the beer. Just in the middle weight wise.

D - I expected more flavor out of this beer rather than the watered down taste it presented. Not sure if I had a bad bottle or not but I will try this beer and if necessary modify my review.

I would not drink this regularly.

2.43/5  rDev -32.9%

This brew’s average appearance, with a reddish-gold body and a misty white head, is its best feature. The subtle aroma of dried hopes wasn’t too bad – but the watery brew went down hill from there. Stale, or over-dried hops dominated the flavor, all but silencing hints of caramel malts. Remarkably, low taste brew retained notes of the quintessential S.A. house flavor. While I could drink a fair amount of this brew, I don’t see why I’d try.

2.46/5  rDev -32%

Pale golden color, clear. One finger frothy head.

I couldn't detect much aroma, but the beer was very cold. A bit of hops I guess.

I tasted some roasted malts with oliy hop. The after-taste was stale and bitter.

Not sure whether all of this was the bar's fault or the brewer's, but not a good time. I will try the bottle at some point and re-review.

2.53/5  rDev -30.1%

Pours out like weak Ice Tea. Slight white suds but nice lacing.
Slight wheat and caramel smell. Nothing really strong.
Very bland tasting with almost nothing going on.
This is a not a tasty beer. Might be too old or something.
You could drink a whole bunch of these but who in their right mind would want to?

2.59/5  rDev -28.5%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle, best if consumed by November 2011, into a Blue Star Brewery Pint Glass

Appearance

This Ale pours a one fingered head which dissipates quite quickly and what remains is a sad lacing around the edges even though I haven't even picked up this drink. It pours a sinopia, shade of brown, body and edges. The color is solid all around and it seems different, but inviting none the less.

Smell

The smell is mostly malts with a fairly decent aroma of sweet caramels. This smells are just sweet and nothing too interesting.

Taste

This taste is close to what it smells like. It's mostly sweet malts throughout with a nice hoppy bitterness at the end.

Mouthfeel

The mouthful is just were this drinks just fails. It feels like water in my mouth. It's just too thin and it makes me feel like I'm barely drinking an ale.

Overall

I usually feel like Boston Brewing Company makes good drinks, but this is not one of them. It's just so far from being special and memorable. Its not completely horrible, but I feel bad that I bought a 6 pack of this. I feel like I have to give the rest of these to people who don't have taste and I could only hope that they enjoy it because I won't.

Samuel Adams Boston Ale (Stock Ale) from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)