Samuel Adams Boston Ale (Stock Ale) - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Boston Ale (Stock Ale)Samuel Adams Boston Ale (Stock Ale)

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

English Pale Ale |  5.40% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-12-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Boston Ale (Stock Ale) Alström Bros
Reviews: 966 | Hads: 2,025
3.3/5  rDev -10.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Serving: 12 oz bottle enjoy by date 12/2008. Oops its a little old or should we call it bottle aged LOL. I poured it hard into a large mug at 50 degrees F.

Appearance: Awesome cream colored lacing that is very intricate. A nice foamy head that started at three fingers and ended 20 min. later at one eighth of an inch. This ale is a clear amber color.

Smell: Gently hoppy with a mild citrus background. It smells like a exotic craft brew, very nice.

Taste: Dry hop bitterness, crisp lemon peel, with smooth sweet lager like maltiness. In northern VA beer is sold in just about any store. However most stores just sell a handful of popular mass produced beers. If you are a hop head in a pinch this one scores well above the rest.

Mouthfeel: Crisp, tangy, thin, gently carbonated.

Drinkability: More complex than most "popular" beers, I realy enjoy drinking these. This beer pairs well with most comfort food. Most casual "go with the flow" beer drinkers may not like this one saying its too bitter. However if you introduce this one to someone who is tired of the run of the mill pizza parlor beer they may catch a glimpse of the power of the hop gods.

4.21/5  rDev +14.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Very enjoyable, one of the more underrated offerings from Samuel Adams. I appreciate that this beer has survived since 1988, with such little marketing to back this particular brew.

A very drinkable, yet big enough body to not disappoint really anyone of us in the craft beer community. A nice bitterness with enough of a sweetness to not let the bitterness overpower the overall flavor of this almost red ale. This type of beer pretty much goes with just about anything!

3.98/5  rDev +8.2%

Pours amber with nearly two finger head in standard pint glass. Head retains well and leaves lots of lacing. Smell is herbal and fresh. Taste is ultra smooth, on the hoppy, fruity side with malt playing admirable second fiddle. Clean and not overly dry finish. Mouthfeel is sound with light to medium body. Extremely drinkable - a very refreshing beer that just hits the spot any time of year.

4.38/5  rDev +19%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I am on my 2nd bottle and I am very impressed. I am drinking from a pint glass. It has a good 3 finger white to off white head. Beautiful clear copper to gold color. Good lacing and has a very pleasant citrus to caramel scent. Good carbonation with a nice and true amber mouthfeel. A slight more of a sweet caramel taste that might be stronger than some prefer but enough hops come right behind it for an excellant balance for a complex exlposion on your tastebuds.

This is my first taste of Boston Ale and as always Samuel Adams doesn't disappoint.

It taste as awesome as it looks!

3.23/5  rDev -12.2%

Appearance:Pale brown-coppery, clear. Thick head, good retention, excellent lacing, medium carbonation.
Smell: Malty sweet smell balanced with a faint hint of hops.
Taste: Bitter and dark taste of hops, not much malt here. Lingering aftertaste.
Mouthfeel: Medium thickness, not as much froth as anticipated.
Drinkability: Medium, leaves a small feeling of fullness. Can drink 2-3 in a sitting.
Summary: This is a good beer. I gave it 7.9/10 or C+. I like the color and appearance. I'm particularly impressed in the head. It has a nice smell to it. This beer works my appetite up and makes me hungry, which makes me think it would be great with appetizers for company. This being the first ale I've tasted with no other ales to compare it too, I would say this is a fine ale and I would drink it again.

3.93/5  rDev +6.8%

Poured good with more head than expected. While the head shrank quickly it gave good aroma with caramel and citrus giving a preview of quaffability to come.

Very appealing amber, copper color, but tending toward lighter note.

Taste: Smooth with out malty sweetness. Good long finish and very creamy mouthfeel.

Overall a very drinkable and enjoyable beer that I will consider for a decent session beer. Maybe just a slight bit too sweet for a full session beer but less hoppy than some pale ales.

Hard to find as I only tried it as a part of a SA Mix 12'er.

3.5/5  rDev -4.9%

12oz brown bottle with a pry-off cap. Freshness date is present on the bottle.

Pours a medium amber with hints of orange. White fluffy head, foamy, good retention, some lacing that slides down glass.

Smells of some hops, floral hints, mild sweetness.

Initially you taste the malt bite followed by a rush of floral hops, smooth, some sweeter citrus notes, spicy. Some mild bitterness. Mild, smooth, and balanced. A medium-bodied ale that's easy to drink.

Notes: A good balanced brew that's pretty easy to find which gives it points.

3.97/5  rDev +7.9%

I've had the Boston Lager before but never this brew. Time to see if its as good.
Beer pours a ruby-amber color with a big white/tan head that settles down and leaves a nice lacing all the way down the glass.
Beer smells woderful. I smell the malt and some slight fruity aroma comming from it.
The beer has a wonderful taste, and the hops give it a nice twang. I still say there are some subtle fruit tastes going on.
This is a beer i wish I could have found earlier. This makes a good session beer and is a solid drinkable beer.
Very nice.

4.65/5  rDev +26.4%

Unforunately this brew is hard to find since the lager, light, and seasonal brews are always on display. I was lucky enough to find one 12 pack in my local Shaws on sale for $10.99. The brew is and has always been my favorite from Sam Adams. Well, nothing changed with this purchase, in fact I think I got a pretty lively batch. I have nothing more to say except seek out an American classic- stock ale.

3.46/5  rDev -6%

A - Low head that disappeared quickly. Orange-ish medium-deep red.

S - A little bit of maltiness.

T - A little bit of breadiness with a nice bit of bitterness at the end.

M - Medium-to-higher carbonation.

D - Malty with just enough hop bitterness, but I definitely enjoy being hit over the head more -- IPAs and strong coffee porters are more my style. You could drink a lot of these Boston Ales without any problem.

4.35/5  rDev +18.2%

A: Pours an amber with a Frothy head. looks like a nice english pub ale

S: There isn't a bunch going on here but some nice sweet caramel and malty notes. But then again i wasn't expecting a bunch here. I tend to love the drinkability of an english ale, not the smell as much.

T: Smoooth. You get some nice light hoppiness in here with some light fruits. But big winner is the malts. They aren't overwhelming but then again, i don't want that in an ale like this.

M/D: This is where im giving big points. Its silky smooth and could drink this all day. Very enjoyable!!!!

3.95/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Bottle with freshness date (July 2010)

A - Golden, slight amber hue. 1/2 finger, fluffy white head that dissipated quickly leaving small amount of lacing.

S - Slightly fruity, wet hops at first, with touch of watery malt. Good aroma, but I'd prefer a more potent scent.

T - Hops try to take over at first, but are quickly subdued my a smooth, semi-sweet malt cover. As the malt fades, this is where the hops step into the spotlight - citrusy, like grapefruit. The hop flavor intensifies in the aftertaste, leaving the grapefruit flavor on the back of my tongue. The taste evolves from a shock of bitter, immediately to sweet, then fading slowly back to bitter. A pleasant, conservative touch over all of the bases.

M - Clean, but with enough presence to coat the mouth with a malty residue that fades to leave a lingering dryness from the hops after each sip. I like how it's full, and not too watery, but the dry feel of the hops cleans it out, leaving no "oily" feeling that many other beers leave.

D - I could put down possibly up to three of these, but no more than that. Not a beer to pound one after the next. It's meant to be enjoyed for its subtle complexities. Easy to drink, a generally conservative ale, but certainly not severely lacking in any area.

Overall, I believe this is one of the best beers with a Samuel Adams label. Once again, I'm perfectly satisfied. I plan on keeping a steady supply of Boston Ale in my fridge. This would be a great beer as part of the transitioning process to more extreme beers, for a less experienced drinker. For me, it's simply a great, satisfying beer to fall back on and it always satisfies.

3.87/5  rDev +5.2%

I got this beer from the grocery the other day when I was too lazy (and really, didn't have enough time) to make a trip to the liquor store. I've always liked the lager but wanted something a little "heartier", especially since I was grilling up some marinated steaks for dinner. I was hoping for a more "ale-y" version of the lager and was not disappointed. I've always liked the "texured" taste of ales over lagers and tend to gravitate toward them, whether a Belgian brown or an American pale.

My hope above perfectly describes this beer - just like the lager, only in Ale form. Toasted, carmel/nutty flavor, good head, great drinkability (Boston Brewing Co. never has a problem in this area respective to style), this will be a beer I hope to see when in an unfamiliar bar that has a few beers on its menu. Would love to try this on tap.

In short, there's not going to be anything new here for anybody who has run out of fingers and toes with which to count the number of different beers tried, but you could definitely do a lot worse than this one.

3.38/5  rDev -8.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Another flavor from a Summer Sampler twelve pack.
Drank it straight from the bottle. I have yet to be disappointed by any beer of Sam Adams.

Appearance is good. A really nice head still distinguishable after a few minutes.

Smell is average. Nothing really distinct in the smell.

Taste is good. Nice tasty ale with a slight aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is good. Feels nice and frothy.

This beer is very drinkable. A nice overall ale. I wouldn't mind draining a few on a warm summer day.

2.94/5  rDev -20.1%

Rather nice appearance. Well-rounded taste, a little of everything, sweet and bitter. Reminds me a lot of Boston Lager. I think I could have several of these without any regret. Definately more of a bitter beer kind of a drink,though.

Recommended. Sort of.

3.01/5  rDev -18.2%

Had this at a friends party. She got a mixed back on SA beer and this was one of the many I had. I initially thought that this was the ale version of their main stay lager. I'm more of an ale guy these days.

Appearance is very amber filtered color.

Not much of a smell to it.

Taste is much better than the smell to this beer. Taste of malt and a bit of bitterness bite at the end. Can taste the slightest of caramel.

Mouth feel was good and easy to go down. I will definitely add this to the beer list and get a case of it down the road.

Very good ale!

4.35/5  rDev +18.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

In my opinion this tastes ALOT like boston lager, just in an ale (lighter) fare. A wonderful beer for me especially seeing as my favorite beer is the Boston Lager. Cheers!

3.7/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a rich brown with a heavy, sticky-laced head, looks like what I imagine beer used to look like hundreds of years ago, which is a good sign for me.
A malty scent, with very slight hops and yeast
Good flavor, somewhat sweet, malty, not much hops, but a good taste and a nice aftertaste that leaves you wanting more.
Decent drinkability, a little heavy, but crisp. Would get again.

3.16/5  rDev -14.1%

Strained my eyes to make out the little Uno Amber Lager logo on the menu, so I had to try it. Served in a 20 oz. glass, the beer had a nice thick head and a good copper color. The smell was somewhat lacking but the mouthfeel made up for it. The taste itself was maltly and bordered on a bitter ale side. I personally wouldn't add this to my must have list but I could make this a session beer if need be.

3.33/5  rDev -9.5%

Pours a slightly cloudy pale orange color, with a fizzy white head. This beer is characterized by a small malty aroma.

Very slight hoppy tatse present. Malts are more pronounced than the hops, which is kind of the opposite of the Boston Lager, where hops are more prevalent than the malts. Slightly biscuity flavor present.

I like this beer better than the Boston Lager; it's a bit more complex (but not much more). Pretty decent brew.

4.01/5  rDev +9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This is their stock ale that they created to commemorate their brewery's opening in the late 1980s. My local beer store apparently carries this year-round but I never noticed it until yesterday ( I thought it was a seasonal ). That said, I had to give this a try as I am a fan of some of their other offerings and a big fan of the Ale style overall.

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

A: The appearance is about as appealing as beers come: A vivid copper amber that lures you in and dares you take a taste. Lacing is as expected. I will note that this would seem to be indistinguishable from their more highly promoted Boston Lager.

S: Aromas fall on the more autumnal side of the spectrum: Subtle hops trumped by more noticeable hints of cinnamon and all-spice. A robust scent that attacks the nose upon inhaling. (in a good way).

T: As I anticipated, this tastes like a traditional English ale and is consistent with that style. A well blended swallow yields to a notable after taste that stays with you as you finish the serving.

M: The feel is full and hearty and is easily measured in all sides of the mouth.

O: Overall, I was hoping that this would equate to other ales in the north Atlantic on either coast and I was not disappointed. The best aspects of this brew are the appearance and mouth-feel. I can see buying a case of this two or three times a year to add variety to the stock in my refrigerator.

4.25/5  rDev +15.5%

Good stuff. The hops are a lot more raw than in the Boston Lager. The extra dose of hops are balanced nicely with a carmel-type sweetness. The sweets and bitter are kept in very good proportion. It's an ale, a very good ale, through and through. I like the lager a bit better, but this is a very good brew. Like almost all BBC products, it's top rate and I will continue to drink it, regardless of what is said of their management.

3.85/5  rDev +4.6%

Drank straight from the bottle.

Appearance: A clear pale ale of copper color with a white head.

Smell: A fairly light aroma. Not much of note.

Taste: A slightly cherry like fruity flavor I think, something in the malt or hops Sam Adams uses in both this and their boston lager tastes like cherry to me. There is a slight taste of hop too pretty mild. It is smooth, but not in a bad way.

Mouthfeel: Very refreshing, it doesn't feel dehydrating compared to most beers I drink.

Drinkability: Very high, I could drink this all night.

3.94/5  rDev +7.1%

Clear amber color with a foamy, off-white head that slowly collapses to a medium size. The head retains very well and leaves some sticky lace. The nose has a faint pine and citrus hop aroma. It's slightly fruity, but very clean overall. The taste starts with a moderate, earthy hop bitterness that has a dash of spice to it. Malt sweetness helps to balance out the bitterness, but is quite subdued. Crisp fruit flavors follow, backed up by butter (diacetyl). All flavors linger into the finish. Medium bodied with a good carbonation that creates a smooth feel. The feel is also rather slick from the diacetyl. Overall, a very easy drinking pale ale.

This beer tastes slightly different from the last time I had it. It's less malty and more buttery than I remember. Still quite good, though.

3.93/5  rDev +6.8%

I poured this beer into a beer glass. I had many Sam Adams before but not this flavor, I was pleasantly supprised.

A- Dark burnt orange color with a 2 finger head.

S- You smell a hoppy flavor with a caramel or sweet side kick flavor. Well balanced smell.

T- Hops and Barley flavors are strong but well balanced. This beer is very smooth tasting.

Overall: This is one of the more balanced Ales I have had in awhile but being so balanced can make you average. Good beer all around.

Samuel Adams Boston Ale (Stock Ale) from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)