Samuel Adams Chocolate Bock - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Chocolate BockSamuel Adams Chocolate Bock

good

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Bock |  5.80% ABV

Beer added by: TinusTime on 11-20-2003

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Chocolate Bock Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,113 | Hads: 2,621
1.68/5  rDev -54.3%

This beer tastes like somebody stirred cocoa in a lager.

I hate writing those wordy tasting reports. At some point a beer is a beer and yeah you can endlessly dissect the overtones of malts, speculate about the hops, the temperature of the mash and use quirky adjectives but that is not me. About 50 words should be more than enough to describe a beer. (354 characters)

1.79/5  rDev -51.4%

Sam Adams missed the target here. This was part of their winter seasonal twelve pack. Folks usually purchase it as a gift for beer drinkers. I would prefer the return of the Cranberry Lambic. The chocolate is prominent but the concoction is thin and fizzy like a soda. Man did they screw it up.

A: dark like a porter but if you blinked the head was gone - zero lacing.

S: some chocolate but no sensuality.

T: Imagine a teaspoon of Hershey's syrup in a quart of water.

M: Imagine the water without the Hershey's syrup.

O: Bad execution - bad beer experience. Tastes like something Bud would try to sell. (607 characters)

1.8/5  rDev -51.1%

What the Fuck is sam adams thinking. First they charge you you'r first born for this bottle then they give you a thin watered chocolate bock that doesn't produce any awww inspiring taste.

Chocolate is there but its bitter and thin, heartburn inducing liquid is lingering, chalky, and bitter. Not sure how they justify charging 15 bucks for the bottle but thats neither here nor their. Bottom line is its not going to be on my shopping list.

Notes: seems to built around a dark chocolate bitter bar and nothing else. Mouthfeel is light for the style. You could spend your money on a random six pack and come up with better results, and change. uggghhhh.... Not for me or for you. (685 characters)

1.86/5  rDev -49.5%

A - Pours dark brown with slight reddish highlights. Head is a khaki color.

S - Coffee, chocolate. Not much else.

T - Light a class of cold hot chocolate. I really prefer beers that have chocolate characters, and hints of chocolate. Not a in your face sort of flavor, which this is. Meh...it was in the winter pack.

M - Full, fine I guess.

O - A technically fine beer that tastes pretty bad all the same. If you like chocolate, this is the beer for you. Me? I poured it out. (478 characters)

1.96/5  rDev -46.7%

Poured into pint glass.

A deep reddish color-- like rosewood. A tan head disappears pretty quickly and leaves a collar of tan bubbles. Some sticky globs of lace.

Smells like chocolate soda. Seriously. Like chocolate carbonated corn syrup. Wow. I don't really think this lives up to the standards of some of the other Winter beers... Although I haven't had a mixed pack in a few years-- so I'll be reviewing all of them soon... I can't wait to see how they compare to my memories...

Taste has some sweet malts- and a slight roasty character. A light hint of dark cherries hits after the malts just before the chocolate soda taste takes over. Surprisingly dry finish for how sweet the beer is.

Body is light and watery... Good carbonation level helps it feel thicker than it is and hints at being creamy.

Overall-- this isn't one I'll be anticipating next year. Hell, I don't even anticipate the second bottle... (916 characters)

1.98/5  rDev -46.2%

Appearance: Pours a coffee brown with very little head that dissipates quickly.

Smell: Cocoa that reminded me of coffee mix.

Taste: Overly sweet cocoa. I barely got to mouthfeel because I could barely stand the sweetness of the chocolate.

Mouthfeel: Medium carbonation on the tongue. The beer itself feels thick and syrupy but also watered down like watered down chocolate mixed with syrup.

Overall:
I think the idea of an all chocolate beer was a pretty nice concept. Unfortunately, I think what they should have done was use different types of cocoa to vary the sweetness and add some bitterness to it. (608 characters)

1.99/5  rDev -45.9%

Pours dark mahogany with burgundy highlights. Modest head is there but recedes almost immediately. Nose is an ambiguous blend of mild chocolate and an indefinable something that isn't exactly pleasant. I wish I could describe it better, but there's a slightly industrial/artificial character to the nose that is off-putting. The taste is very one-dimensional; it basically tastes like Hershey's syrup in seltzer water, accompanied by an (un)healthy dose of straight sugar. There's a hint of bitterness and alcohol in the finish, but that's about the depth of the complexity as far as I can tell. The staying power of this beer is nearly nonexistant; each sip is more overbearing than the last, so much so that I'm having difficulty finding the will to finish the glass. The most noteworthy accomplishment here is that they've managed to make a chocolate beer very underwhelming to someone who's easily pleased by chocolate beers. I think a big part of the issue is that the chocolate is too sweet--more like milk chocolate than dark chocolate. That might work in a beer with a more complex flavor profile, but as the backbone of a beer with little else going on, it falls flat. (1,177 characters)

2.04/5  rDev -44.6%

Let me just say that for $16 I was expecting a higher alcohol brew so that I could put my second one away. Looks like I have to drink them both soon and that may not be the best thing that has ever happened to me.

It pours nicely looking darker than a brown porter, but not quite stout dark. It has a nice off white head.

The smell is almost all cocoa. Its very much like powered chocolate. Not complaints here!

The first two tastes of this beer is nothing but a mix of chocolate and soy sauce. In fact both of those sips caught in my throat. Once the palette adjusts, SA chocolate bock just tastes sweet and vaguely like chocolate milk made with water perhaps, rather than milk. There is some roasty flavor, but it is so hidden by the sweetness that it is just a tease.

The mouthfeel is pretty average. For a beer like this I would prefer it to be thicker and silkier. I don't think that is too much to ask of chocolate.

I am regretting that my girlfriend took a swig and declared it disgusting. I really need someone to help me drink this beer.

Overall, I would only recommend this beer to people who care about limited batches.

edit: Well, this is the second time I had to dump a beer. The first was a rotten George Gale's. After a while the sweetness just got overbearing. I swear this nasty pasty feeling in my mouth and throat won't go away. I have only one question regarding SA Chocolate Bock: what am I going to do with the second bottle? (1,470 characters)

2.11/5  rDev -42.7%

Medium brown body shows red hints and wears a thin beige head. Lactic chocolate paired with honey cough candies nose. Also has an understated minty presence. Taste is buttery, lightly tart and incredibly sweet, sugary in fact with hints of flour, butter, cacao powder. I had trouble finishing my ~100-125mL portion, I can’t imagine going through a whole bottle. Thin-medium bodied, powdery texture, light carbonation. Nope, this is bad stuff. (443 characters)

2.13/5  rDev -42.1%

750ml bottle (is there any other on the market?) into Duvel glasses.

Appearance - dark, not-quite-black, with red highlights. Head is creamy tan and looks great, but falls down amazingly fast. While I typed this sentence it went from full and large, to almost non-existent. Rapidly the had settles into a patch that fails to even cover the top, and leaves no lacing.

Smell - malty, candy sweet. Don't smell much chocolate in here, what tiny bit there is seems overwhelmed by the malty sugar smell, which is overall too sweet, without being chocolaty at all. Even after warming in the glass for a while, no chocolate smell comes forth.

Taste - here is chocolate, finally. A decent amount up front, mingled with the bitter alcohol flavor, lots of chocolate on the swallow, along with the after taste. The level of chocolate is *very* high, but the *quality* of chocolate is very low: it tastes more like Nestle's Quick than real chocolate. Also, for a beer with only around 5% ABV, the alcohol flavor more noticeable than you might expect. Young's Chocolate Stout (5%) had less alcohol taste, as did Ommegang's Chocolate beer (7%). After a half glass, the after taste builds up to the point where it makes the beer hard to drink.

Mouthfeel - velvety-but-thin. If that doesn't make sense to you, it doesn't make sense to me either. The beer feels smooth and velvety in the mouth and on the way down, not too much carbonation (in fact not much at all) gives it the smooth texture of milk, but the body and weight of less-than-skim milk.

Drinkability - this isn't meant to be an every-day, go-to beer. This is not intended for sessioning, or for pounding back during the game. Even with that considered, drinkability is low. I can't imagine why I would drink this beer when so many better chocolate beers are on the market. When the price is taken into consideration, the whole thing seems laughable. To be honest, the only reason I am finishing this is because it was 13$.

Summary- I saw that the reviews for this beer weren't great, but I decided to pick one up, for the fun bottle, and to have after my Ommegang Chocolate Indulgence. The head-to-head is that the Ommegang is better, as well as being cheaper. I know I will not buy this beer again, and honestly, I think if someone offered me some, I would prefer something else. (2,332 characters)

2.25/5  rDev -38.9%

I drank this from the bottle into a chalice.

Being a Sameul Adams product I had fairly high hopes for this despite the word chocolate being in the title. Unfortunatley, quite a let down.

This is a very poor effort all the way around.

Doesn't have a very disticnt aroma or flavor. (283 characters)

2.29/5  rDev -37.8%

i had this beer at a tasting from a sam adams sales rep at bermans in lexinton . so the look of the beer had a nice maduro cigar look to it. so the noise on this beer was not impressive at all , hints of cedar and earthy tones but no chocolate at all??? so here came the most important part taste, wow pretty gross. pretty much it tasted like melted tootsie rolls and that thick Cough syrup taste. and the worst part it costs 15+ no that is a crime i would maybe pay 3bucks at the most for this bar. (499 characters)

2.3/5  rDev -37.5%

A- chocolate colored. off brown to mocha head. lacing is not very present.

S- chocolate syrup... roasty malts. I know how this is going to taste already.

T- chocolate syrup is now disguising itself as beer in a sam adams bottle. nasty nasty nasty.

M- thick and you guessed it syrupy.

O-folks this is a miss. almost makes the winter pack not worth buying. (358 characters)

2.33/5  rDev -36.7%

Dark brown with a creamy brown head, little lacing. Strong powdered cocoa smell, but wasn't very impressive to me. Taste tasted like chalky powdered cocoa; someone else mentioned floury and a bit buttery, I'd have to agree. Light bodied, highly carbonated, pretty much the opposite of what I think would have paired good with this. Drinkability is low as I didn't even finish my portion of my glass. Glad the bottle was shared, would have been upset to have paid all 16 bucks to pour the rest down the drain. Overall, I think this might be right up some people's alley, so don't let my dislike discourage you. Probably worth a try, but I won't be buying it again. A not so good beer from a normally solid brewery. (713 characters)

2.34/5  rDev -36.4%

This beer looks simply wonderful! A nice dark color with a very nice tan head that gives away to a decent lace. That is where it stops. It has an over sweet vanilla aroma to it with very little, if any hints of chocolate. If anything, it could be a white chocolate bock. The flavor is also more toward the vanilla side than chocolate. It has a watery feeling in the mouth and it is missing something, Character! In addition, for $14.00 a pop, please. Once bitten twice shy. (473 characters)

2.36/5  rDev -35.9%

A-Black with some auburn hues. It has an off white head that dissipates quickly and leaves no lacing.

S-Very, very malty with chocolate, brown sugar, and maple syrup notes. The malt smelled very odd to me and was a red flag.

T-The flavors I could pick out were chocolate and some vanilla. Overall the flavor was terrible. It was way, way too sweet and I didn't like the malt flavor. I don't know what malts were used, but they tasted and smelled much like the same ones used in the Octoberfest. Whatever they were in my opinion, they did not go with the chocolate.

M-Kind of on the thin side.

D-I took about 5 sips and let someone else try to drink it. After a few sips they poured it out. I can imagine there are worse tasting beers out there, but this to me was about as bad as it gets.

Overall, I was really excited about this beer, but it was a major disappointment. (875 characters)

2.38/5  rDev -35.3%

SA Chocolate Bock into SA perfect pint. Pours a dark black with ruby red highlights around the edges and a 1/2" dark tan head atop. Smells like sweet chocolate syrup with no beer aspects at all, no malts, grains, hops, or anything else beer related for that matter. The mouthfeel is very thin for the style. Tastes almost sickeningly cloying on the chocolate part, this is definatly not chocolate roasted malts here but more so a fake chocolate extract, this is why im amazed at how many other BA's actually refer to this taste as chocolate malts. Halfway through the 12oz serving its really hard not to get sick from this brew, shes tough to get in and one is definaly way too much. Overall I really liked the 2008 SA Chocolate Bock, but this beer is no doubt a different recipe and falls very short of what I was expecting this year, I guess thats why I can get a 24pk of SA Winter Classics @ $19.99 that includes 4 of these beers, vs. paying $11.99 for a 22oz bomber of the 08 recipe. I just cant recommend this beer to be paired with anything other than triple chocolate cookies. Cheers! (1,091 characters)

2.39/5  rDev -35.1%

Light brown head that's foamy and falls quick, the color is dark, but lets light through in a brown color. The lacing is weak.

Smell is milk chocolate sweet and it also has traces of black fruit.

It has a slight wateryness with a big plum and prune juice flavor with a slight backround of chocolate if you work hard to find it.

Mouthfeel is well carbonated and slightly smooth.

This was a $16 letdown. (413 characters)

2.39/5  rDev -35.1%

An adjuncty chocolate diet soda

---

A: Black with feint faded ruby highlights. One finger dusty cotton creamy but fleeting head.

S: Off-putting and adjunct-ish was my first impression. Further sniffs revealed some weak rotten prune and maybe a little powdered baker's chocolate.

T: Better than the nose, but not by too much. Cocoa is now apparent, but it tastes artificial. The beer is quite sweet, and that tastes artificial, too. A bit of hops of indiscernible variety lucks in the background, and on the finish, which is dry and adjunct-like.

M: Not much foundation, a bit watery and grainy, but with good carbonation.

D: Aftertaste wears you down... I'm considering not finishing it. (693 characters)

2.4/5  rDev -34.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Bottle (2010)

Costco
Vista, CA

A somewhat lifeless pour in to the glass. There's minimal carbonation and not much of a head. The color is a lovely dark brown ruby, but the color is the only thing working well as far as appearance goes. Minimal lacing.

The beer, unsurprisingly, smells like chocolate. More and more chocolate aroma presents itself as the beer warms; and I actually can smell the chocolate best once the beer is finished and there's just a filmy residue left on the glass. Pleasant and appropriate at least initially, but simple and one-note and in the end, overly sweet. This nose is not growing on me, in fact, the opposite is occurring. Hops and any malt aromas are lost; this beer smells like melted and very sweet chocolate.

More chocolate on the palette. Overly sweet. No hop presence. I applaud Sam Adams for the idea behind this chocolate beer, but this one simply doesn't taste very good nor is it very drinkable. It's too sweet, too syrupy.

Thin mouthfeel. Little carbonation. Unpleasant.

A better concept than a finished product. I applaud the effort, but this beer isn't for me. (1,114 characters)

2.42/5  rDev -34.2%

Edit: The guy above me speaks the truth. I'm feeling robbed too.

Poured from a 750ml brown bottle into my Sam Adams Turbulator.
Black in color with a dark crimson glow when held to light. 2 fingers of off white head. Leaving thin greasy streaks along the glass.

Aroma is kinda soapy, with a floral purfumy flowers smell. Just a faint cry of cocoa nib nuttieness, no real chocolate in the aroma.

Nutty cocoa nib flavors with a super mild and watery mouthfeel. Carbonation dominance. Watered down liquid chocolate extract flavors. Its like they just watered the hell out of the wort to make this one go farther. It could have been so much better.

Do not recommend. (666 characters)

2.44/5  rDev -33.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.5

Serving glass: Poured from bottle into Pint glass.

Appearance: Dark brown with a slight reddish cast. Fizzy head at first that quickly disappears, leaving nothing behind. Looks like flat Coke.

Smell: Chocolate, caramel, cherry and light noble hops.

Taste: Mostly sweet chocolate upfront, with a malt base of cherry, caramel and a very slight roastiness. The cherry caries through to the end, and the noble hops make an appearance as well. Something about the cherry/noble hop finish does not gel with the chocolate. Actually starts to really bother me.

Feel: Moderately low carbonation, somewhat creamy but a tinge thin. Barely dry finish.

Drinkability: While interesting, it just doesn't mesh as well as I had hoped. The lackluster appearance certainly does not help my generosity when reviewing. I actually find it hard to finish. (837 characters)

2.44/5  rDev -33.7%

Consumed fresh from the holiday mix pack.

A - Looks nice enough. Dark brown with very little head.

S - smells like chocolate but in a weird, medicinal way.

T - Way too sweet IMO. Too much chocolate. The choc taste does not have a creamy, natural feel like some other quality brews. This one has a fake, medicinal choc taste, like a flavor packet was added instead of some quality cocoa/chocolate.

I was not a fan of this one at all. I did not finish the bottle. (466 characters)

2.46/5  rDev -33.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

2004 vintage
Appearance: The bottle is definitely the best thing about this beer. As far as the beer itself, it's a dirty brown color with almost no light getting through. Dark brown head that dissipates quickly.

Smell: Smells of chocolate for sure, but very sweet.

Taste: Not very good at all. It definitely tasted of chocolate but it was way to sweet for me. The sweet chocolate mixed with carbonation and beer was not a pretty combination

Mouthfeel: Thin viscosity, and a bit too carbonated to me for a chocolate beer.

Drinkibility: Terrible. I could not even get through one glass which is a shame considering the amount of money i spent on the bottle. It's just way too sweet. (694 characters)

2.46/5  rDev -33.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

12oz bottle served in a glass beer mug.

L - black with a khaki colored head that left a thin sheet of lacing.

S - cocoa puffs aroma.

T - it is chocolaty, even when it warms I didn't get too much else.

F - medium bodied with a slick feel.

D - meh. (251 characters)

Samuel Adams Chocolate Bock from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)