Samuel Adams Chocolate Bock - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Chocolate BockSamuel Adams Chocolate Bock

good

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Bock |  5.80% ABV

(Beer added by: TinusTime on 11-20-2003)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Chocolate Bock Alström Bros
3.48/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Dark brown with burgundy highlights. minimal off-white head disipates quickly

S: mild. dark chocolate, cocoa powder and vanilla

T: Dark chocolate for the most part, especially as it warms. faint vanila and nuts. I think I'm picking up a little maple.

M: medium body, smooth and sweet.

D: decent but for $15 I won't be back

Rainintheface, Mar 19, 2009
3.88/5  rDev +7.2%

A - Pours dark brown/black with a thick tan head that dissipates rather quickly. Leaves a decent amount of lacing.

S - Sweet malts, hints of chocolate, coffee and vanilla. A touch of hops.

T - Malty sweet, chocolate, cocoa is very subtle with hints of caramel and vanilla. Faint flavors of coffee and toffee. No taste of hops as in the smell.

M - Creamy smooth, little carbonation, medium bodied.

D - Enjoyable, could drink another, but the price is very hard to swallow.

MaduroMike, Mar 09, 2009
3.05/5  rDev -15.7%

Eggplant colored and opaque with some ruby highlights around the edges of the glass. Minimal light brown head bubbles up around the rim and settles out quickly.

Light aroma of raisins and molasses.

Flavors of dark malt, raisins and fig, followed by caramel and an understated cocoa flavor in the finish. Not very complex, doesn't evolve as it warms. Expected more chocolate. Even if you ignore the chocolate, I don't know that this would be an interesting bock or dark lager.

Medium carbonation, even and smooth mouthfeel. Average drinkability.

I had high expectations for this beer that weren't quite met. It's way overpckaged and way overpriced.

far333, Mar 07, 2009
3.73/5  rDev +3%

Obviously this beer is way too expensive for what it is. That being said, I had one in December, and I just had another yesterday, which is why I felt like I had to review it, if only for my own benefit.

I poured it into a chalice and it had a much better, tan head than the first time I had it. The smell has chocolate, coffee, even some toffee, and the look is very much that of a porter. It also reminds me of chocolate, which I guess is appropriate.

Tasting it this time, I think it is much, much better than the first time I had it. I doubt three months of sitting did much to the taste, but maybe I just came in this time expecting less. Either way, I get a nice taste of chocolate in this beer, flavorful but not overpowering. I didn't get much chocolate last time. There is some coffee, and roasted malts. I actually like it more than I thought it did - I don't think it's too sweet or too bitter. It's not as adventurous as I had hoped, but it is definitely solid.

The mouthfeel is a little thin for a porter or however they're classifying it. I would have liked more body because I feel like it would have ended up accentuating the chocolate better. That being said, it still tastes good and is an enjoyable beer.

Product does not justify the price. I like the packaging though, I think it's good-looking and not overdone. But I wouldn't pay another $15 for this beer. There's just way better things to spend money on. I have one more of them, and I'm gonna let it sit for a while before I touch it.

rasta16ry, Mar 03, 2009
3.05/5  rDev -15.7%

I went into this beer expecting quite a bit, especially because of the price tag at around 18 dollars for a pint in a half( I Learned the price lesson quick). While creative, I wasn't extremely impressed with this brew.

Appearance- A very dark brown, obviously to simulate chocolate and a medium to small size head appears, which disappears quickly as you drink.

Smell- A sweet aroma of chocolate and malt with the customary Bavarian hops are there, but the chocolate is the main culprit in the smell.

Taste-Honestly, I expected more from this beer, but now a I look back I don't know why. The chocolate is strong, but not too strong, and the beer taste still persists. I found it hard to want to finish the bottle, as the bitterness became worse as I drank it.

Mouthfeel- Not as creamy as I initially expected, but not like the regularly brewed Samuel Adams beers. Goes down smooth initially, but I found that the bitterness didn't go well with the chocolate, and I feel that made the beer worst as I drank. The aftertaste wasn't great at all.

Drinkability- Due to the high price, and the bitterness, I might have this occasionally, but I won't find myself buying this again in the bottle form. The chocolate and beer can both be overpowering at times, and thus is hard for me to enjoy.

mikeal1917, Mar 02, 2009
4.2/5  rDev +16%

An interesting beer that I was not going to drop $15 on, until Kendo told me he saw it for $10 somewhere.
Poured into a tulip glass with a bit of a head, tan.
Smelled a bit malty with a hint of cocoa, tasted I thought much like Dogfish Theobroma, which is to say a light cocoa especially in the aftertaste. Mouthfeel was a bit oily and a bit thin for a porter, but overall a decent beer, Id would buy another for $10 at a clearance.

caminiti, Mar 01, 2009
3.35/5  rDev -7.5%

Gift from a fellow Ba: thanks Tim!
Bottle labeled as 'ENJOY BEFORE APRIL 2009'.
The small head of light tan and fairly large bubbles around the edges fades pretty quickly to a thin cap.
This is a dark brew of cola brown.
Held to the light I get a brown/ruby.
Smells of sweet chocolate
Tastes a little mixed up: dark chocolate, and roasted malts.
Every taste is better and better as it continues to warm.
I enjoyed this one but the price will prevent me from picking up another one.

Metal4Breakfast, Mar 01, 2009
3.13/5  rDev -13.5%

It's too fargin sweet!

A - Nice dark body with 1 inch head reduces to ring. Lots of cascading bubbles around the edge. Webby lacing.

S - Light cocoa and sweet malt. Not much to say.

T - Starts off ok, but damn, twang!! Massive saccarine (sp) sweet kicks in. Too sweet. Hey, I live ST Creme Brulee, but this is a whole other level.

M - Creamy, carbed fine, no balance.

D - You have got to be kidding me. I am having trouble getting through a glass.

srandycarter, Feb 28, 2009
3.93/5  rDev +8.6%

Bottle is best by 04/2009. Tasted on 02/24/2009. Purchased at a steep $12.99 price tag. Poured into a pint glass.

A: It pours a dark black that turns a slightly clear deep ruby color when held to light. The head is a little on the small side.

S: Roasted malts and coffee with a hint of chocolate.

T: There is a rich milk chocolate flavor throughout the taste of this beer, especially as I swallow. However, the chocolate taste manages to be pleasant rather than overwhelming. I can taste a small amount of bitterness as well.

M: This is a full, nicely carbonated beer.

D: Pleasant beer to drink. If it wasn't so expensive, then I would pick this up every so often.

Jablonski, Feb 25, 2009
3.68/5  rDev +1.7%

large format bottle, best by april 2009. poured into tulip.

black, almost opaque, dark red when pouring and under the light. moderate tan head fades to wisps and ring. just two rings of lace.

roasted malt and weak cocoa in the nose, with hint of coffee. faint caramel and more whiffs of cocoa.

flavor of roast malts and caramel with faint chocolate and then coffee tones, but all a bit watered down. twinge of acidity in the middle. moderate bitterness, without much chocolate quality.

decently smooth, but watery in the finish. compensated somewhat by a moderate and sometimes even fluffy carbonation.

way too expensive for a mediocre 5.6% ABV brew.

tai4ji2x, Feb 19, 2009
3.9/5  rDev +7.7%

Purchased by Wiseman Justin, but reviewed by Wiseman Nick. J wasn't really feeling up to it I guess.

Poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: Dark brown body with reddish shades (pretty good visibility). Head is tight, creamy, clean (no lacing), and tan-colored. Decent retention. Looks nice.

Smell: Lots of chocolate mousse/chocolate flakes, a bit of fig maybe, and a touch of alcohol. Smells very sugary/sweet, but pleasant.

Taste: Chocolate mousse and toasted malt (but mainly just chocolate mousse). Figs and citric hops come in toward the end. Taste is nice, but simple and pretty one-sided.

Mouthfeel: Very malty, creamy, and smooth. Carbonation is low. Finishes a bit warm.

Drinkability: More like a dessert beer than anything else. Better than anticipated, but not really bock-like.

ThreeWiseMen, Feb 17, 2009
3.78/5  rDev +4.4%

This was a surprising beer (in a good way), because i thought it was going to be horrible (drain pour horrible).

A- Dark brown, see through black (whichever you prefer). yellow-white head.

S- licorice, sweet malt (like candy), and oats.

T- chocolate chip pancakes, graham cracker, caramel, and HOLY SHIT BUTTERSCOTCH dominating everything. not even a hint of chocolate in my opinion.

M- overly carbonated, makes it not too smooth.

D- it drinks fine. hell, i would even have another one.

jdklks, Feb 15, 2009

I was pleasantly surprised by this beer. It was given as a gift and I'm glad I got a chance to try it.

A: Very dark, brown in color. Decent tan head.
S: Light, chocolate smell. Not overpowering or too sweet.
T: Also light chocolatey flavor. Smooth and enjoyable. Tasty.
M: Medium. Not too thin, but not think either. I'd say perfect for this style.
D: Great drinkability. I could drink this all day (assuming I was allowed to at work).

icehornet, Feb 14, 2009
3.28/5  rDev -9.4%

Pours dark brown with little head.

Smell is of roasted malt with a hint of chocolate. Overall smell is subdued, not very strong.

Taste is malty, with noticable chocolate and a crisp finish.

Mouthfeel is a little lighter than I was expecting. Medium carbonation.

Overall, it wasn't bad. I enjoyed it and would drink again at some point.

ajbick, Feb 14, 2009
3.08/5  rDev -14.9%

750 ml bottle purchased from La Bodega in Riverside for seventeen bucks, currently splitting with Dane, poured into my Urthel glass, color is a very dark brown, 1/2 inch creamy light tan head with bad retention, no lacing either, aroma is milk chocolate that is pretty overwhelming, light hops, lots of malt, earthiness, and , taste is similar to the smell with an even heavier reliance on cocoa, too much for me once it warms, some vanilla comes out later on to add to the already overly sweet beer, some fruit by the end too, needed some dry qualities to balance things out, sweet, chocolately, and slightly earthy mouthfeel, thin bodied, do not be deceived by its color, taste lingers too long with sweetness, could not drink more than ten to twelve ounces, heavy and quite filling, not smooth, lacks complexity, glad this got brewed again and I was able to try it this time around but it is not really my thing, especially not for the money, would probably skip in the future, still worth trying

Floydster, Feb 12, 2009
3.33/5  rDev -8%

I received this as a gift and when I saw the pricetag of 1699 on the bottle I was embarressed
Not worth the hefty price tag but here goes.

Served from bottle to flute glass at 45 degrees.

A- Dissapointing with minimal head and thin glass lacing.

S- Decent smell, bits of roasted malts and background of chocolate

T- Pretty good, though not as chocolatey as I would have thought for a chocolate bock. (rogue is far more enjoyable)

M- Felt a bit thin and weak, I hoped for a stronger, more explosive feel instead of the subtle tone with no vanilla as descripted.

D- Good ,could drink more but, considering what the supposed price tag was ,I wouldnt.

I would imagine this would be more enjoyable on tap. Im sure the price tag reflects the glitzy bottle appearance.

ManofMead, Feb 11, 2009
2.73/5  rDev -24.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

fancy bottle and slickly marketed by sam, so i had a feeling it would be expensive, but i was still shocked to see $25 ring up on the register. simply outrageous. i opened it on new years as a special occassion, but it was far too heavy and really slowed us down.

some chocolate does come through in aroma, but not the taste. some unusual tastes do come through, like vanilla and sweet figs, rather than the traditional layers of malts. absolutely not worth the money.

joshsbeerblog, Feb 10, 2009
3.18/5  rDev -12.2%

Too expensive! I'm sorry to say I paid $13 for this beer. I would have much rather had a 6-pack of Ayinger Celebrators.

A- Dark as it should be. Large, but light foam.

S- Faint, not too aromatic.

T- Malty, slight chocolate notes.

M- Watery, not as heavy as I like my darker beers. Low carbonation.

Overall, I don't know why I bought this. I am not satisfied. It simply wasn't worth the price. Had it been cheaper I may have given it a more forgiving review, but that simply isn't going to happen.

Try again, Sam Adams.

modus, Feb 07, 2009
3.53/5  rDev -2.5%

Review based on a 3 oz sample which was enough for me.

Low expectations going into this. Not a style I seek out and not not impressed with SA's body of work.

Allowed the sample to settle and come to room temp for 10 minutes (poured with too much head).

Dark brown with a consistently thin head. Sweetness with a nice finish. Can't say I would identify this as a chocolate beer if not for the name.

A much better beer than I expected.

Yetiman420, Feb 07, 2009
3.48/5  rDev -3.9%

Appearance- The body is a dark brown color with absolutely stunning ruby highlights when held up to the light. The head is a decent sized, smooth, creamy, beige, affair that fades fairly quickly and leaves a thin lacing.

Smell- Lots of chocolate, caramelized malt sweetness. Very inviting. Not very bocky tho.

Taste- Lots of chocolate up front. Fairly malty and creamy. Very nice blend of a number of subtle flavors including a very mild breadiness, a hint of bittering hops and malt sweetness.

Mouthfeel- Very velvety. Smooth and crisp with a medium body. slightly over-carbonated, but it seems to work.

Drinkability- Very tasty, goes down easily. Not a real good example of the style, and certainly not worth the price, but it is a very nice beer.

theopholis, Feb 06, 2009
3.9/5  rDev +7.7%

Poured from a 24oz bottle into a mug glass.

A: The beer is a dark brown color, with a large beige head that fades slowly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is of lager yeast, chocolate, caramelized malts and a touch of hops.

T: The taste is malty and creamy up front with a strong milk chocolate flavor that dominates as you would expect. There's a mild but complimentary hops presence and nice breadiness from the lager yeast creating a good balance. The after-taste is slightly sweet.

M: Smooth and crisp, medium body, medium carbonation, finish is slightly sticky.

D: Tasty, goes down easily, not too filling, decent kick, good representation of style, I was pleasantly surprised that this beer was better than I thought it would be. It's a nice chocolaty beer to drink for a long time. However, I do not think it's worth the high price since there are several other comparable chocolate-flavored beers out there.

TheManiacalOne, Feb 06, 2009
4.22/5  rDev +16.6%

Birthday gift. Very fancy looking 1pt. 9.4oz bottle with a name tag. "ENJOY BEFORE APRIL 2009" Apparently very fresh

A- Opaque brown-red colored body with a huge, creamy, tan colored head

S- Semi-sweet chocolate comes to mind, with a slight bittering quality from the Noble hops. Also smells of chocolate roasted grains

T- Very balanced flavors at a moderate temperature. Smooth, roasted, malts go well with the sweetness of the cocoa and dry, spicy hops go well with the bitterness of the cocoa flavors. Some hints of caramel and vanilla. Good, but nothing exceptional

M- Quite creamy for a lager. Well-done, silky carbonation carries a full-bodied brew

D- I was hoping for something with a bit more ABV%, but I guess this is not that extreme of a beer.

Overall, I was surprised that Sam Adams was able to pull something like this off. It was extreme for a lager, but I would reach for the 4-packs of Sam Adams Imperial Pilsner before this expensive beer.

EnojysAnyBeer, Feb 02, 2009
3.2/5  rDev -11.6%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass

A-dark brown not enough to block light no head can not even swirl to keep a head with no lace

S-Bittersweet chocolate some malt very feint

T-Near watery chocolate flavor with a nice bitter finish I honestly think they need to kick up the ABV and add more chocolate flavor

M-Medium body decent carbonation level not real complex

D-No thanks I'll have a youngs and get 4 for alot less

SpecialK088, Feb 01, 2009
2.73/5  rDev -24.6%

Poured into a pint glass.
dark brown but not opaque, no real lacing to speak of but just a slight head.

smell is dark roasted malt and some unsweetened chocolate.

taste is quite unremarkable. I might be the thinnest chocolate beer I've ever had. Just very thin and flavorless.

Mouth is thin, I would NEVER in my life spend 16 dollars for a bottle.

naterock, Feb 01, 2009
4.13/5  rDev +14.1%

(A) Dark, reddish-brown. When held to the light the clarity is immaculate. Pours with a nice head, but head retention is minimal. Lacing is semi-sticky.
(S) Chocolate with hints roasted coffee.
(T) Bold chocolate taste - more milk chocolate than dark chocolate. Also has a slight smoky flavor. Subtle woodsy tones.
(M) Crisp, full-bodied. Smooth and slight dry in the finish. Slight chewy-ness to the texture.
(D) A good beer. Not a slammer but more of a sipper - this brew needs to be cherished.

u2carew, Feb 01, 2009
Samuel Adams Chocolate Bock from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)