Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Samuel Adams Chocolate Bock - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Chocolate BockSamuel Adams Chocolate Bock

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Bock |  5.80% ABV

Beer added by: TinusTime on 11-20-2003

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Chocolate Bock Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,114 | Hads: 2,635
2.98/5  rDev -18.6%

Bought A 2010 "Sam Adams Winter Classic" mix beer pack for 15.19+tax at local Walmart. The Winter Classic pack comes with 6 diffrent beers, 2 of each type (Winter Lager, White Ale, Holiday Porter, Old Fezziwig Ale, Boston Lager and Chocolate Bock) Beer poured into a 16.oz West Virginia Mountineers pint glass. 5.6% ABV

Apperence- 1 finger tan head, beer is a very dark brown/redish color, just about black.

Smell- Chocolate, Malt, and a little Carmel

Taste- Chocolate, Carmel, Basic Bock taste, Sweet, dry and a little bitter, not really too much flavor going on here and i didnt care too much for the aftertaste but its goes away pretty quick.

Mouthfeel- a little bit watery, not a very good mouthfeel at all, i was thinking this would be a more creamy beer, guess i was wrong.

Drinkabilty- Well at 5.6% ABV you could drink a good many of these beers but i really dont think i would want to, dont get me wrong its ok but thats just it...ok.

Overall I was thinking this beer would be great, However its turns out its just an ok beer, i must admit I do not like bocks very much and this is a better of the ones I have had,but I would take a Rogue Chocolate Stout over Sam Adams
Chocolate Bock anyday. Cheers!

3.58/5  rDev -2.2%

Pours a dark stained cherry wood that in the light looks ruby amber. There sits an inch of white head that stays for a minute atop glass with carbonation bubbles racing upwards throughout.

There are sweet roasted malts on the nose with subtle milk chocolate notes.

The initial taste is a very smooth milk chocolate with a silky mouth feel that is on the very high side of medium. The chocolate flavor is light and milky, and there are also some vanilla cream like flavors. There is a mild hop undertone that rises, and balances the rich chocolate malts. The finish is clean, with the chocolate malts dominating the extremely faint bitters imparted by the hops.

This is a nice chocolaty brew, and a great after dinner treat. I usually prefer the bitter cocoa flavors of dark chocolate, and the heavy body of stouts, over a light, and creamy, milk chocolate brew like this one. Still, a very enjoyable, flavorful chocolate bock.

4.17/5  rDev +13.9%

A: Poured into a mug. A very dark brown color, like coffee. With a 1 finger light tan head.

S: Smells of a lot of fruits, chocolate and sweets, kind of surprised me.

T: Chocolate, starts out and goes..goes along the way comes some cocoa to give a multi choco flavor. Finishes leaving a milk chocolate taste.

M: Even though it is dark, it has a light-ish to medium body. Nice carbonation.

D: Wow, very drinkable. The after taste that it leaves reminds me of chocolate milk. I am a choclate lover, so this one really hit the spot. Very drinkable, two loves, chocolate and beer, all in one.

4.04/5  rDev +10.4%

Even though this said it was a chocolate bock I was still expecting a stout or porter flavor. The aroma had a nice amount of chocolate and fruity bock aroma. I found it for $10 a bottle which seems about what it's worth. While I'm not a big chocolate fan the chocolate in the beer was done nicely. It's nice and complex without being too sweet. Overall I'd recommend picking up a bottle if you get the chance.

4.12/5  rDev +12.6%

From bottle to glass with much anticipation!!

A: Pours black and cloudy and with little foam

S: Smells like cocoa penetrate first, then some maltiness. It is very pleasant

T: The taste is sweet with chocolate, and quite malty. The sweet chocolate first tantalizes the tongue, and the ends with a velvety bitterness

M: Light carbonation, mild finish.

D: Very much like a dessert beer...enjoyed this much with brownies...

I would label this a fine dessert beer...Cheers

3.67/5  rDev +0.3%

Poured into a mug.

A- Pours very dark, almost black. Has a nice head and lace. Tan head has nice retention.

S- Smells of chocolate, almost like a dark cocoa powder.

T- Tastes just like a darker chocolate. Has just enough beer flavors to bring it back to its beer roots. The cocoa makes this delicious even if it is not cold. I almost liked it just as much warm as when it was cold.

Feel- You can feel the heaviness and the chocolate in the beer. No beer feeling. Very nice.

4.92/5  rDev +34.4%

This beer was recommended in a local liquor store as I was picking up something else at the time. I was told that it was only released once a year and I thought I would give it a try.

Sam Adams chocolate bock poured a deep brown with very dark red tones. Small frothy head that dissipated fairly quickly.

The smell of this stuff alone is worth the $16 I paid for the 25oz bottle. Chocolate is the only smell I noticed. I must have been too hypnotized in the initial waft of chocolatey goodness to pay attention to any other flavor characteristics.

This stuff was exeptionally smooth, medium carbonation, with great chocolatey aftertaste. I would definitely recommend this beer to anyone, even if you dont like beer!

3.25/5  rDev -11.2%

Pours dark brown with little head.

Smell is of roasted malt with a hint of chocolate. Overall smell is subdued, not very strong.

Taste is malty, with noticable chocolate and a crisp finish.

Mouthfeel is a little lighter than I was expecting. Medium carbonation.

Overall, it wasn't bad. I enjoyed it and would drink again at some point.

2.93/5  rDev -19.9%

Appearance: Poured a dark brown, when held up to the light a nice red color is seen. A tall tan head hangs on just for a few seconds and leaves little trace.

Smell: Nothing very strong, Roasted/burnt chocolate, that is all. Simple but nice.

Taste: Roasted malts, Little chocolate, touch of vanilla, and a slight bitter taste at the end, which seemed out of place.

Feel: Very light, water-like, but smooth. Little carbonation.

Drink: Not so sure I want to finish this bottle off. Had my fill in just one glass.

Overall: To be honest I bought this because of the bottle, looks nice. But I will not buy this again. Much better beer to be had for the price (about 15.00).

Pouring this beer into one of my Sam Adams Lager Glasses (with laser etched bottom), the head proves itself to be astounding. I've left it for over two minutes and it remains. The aroma of the beer is very malty, little coffee, and almost no chocolate. The appearance of the beer is perfect to style, the color very dark, and light is faintly visible. The carbonation is very visible through the beer, of course my glass only helps to accentuate this. As stated before, head retention on this beer is very nice. Tasting the beer the chocolate is very, very, pronounced; it is like drinking desert. The malt taste is very present as well, little bitterness from the hops. The balance of the beer is amazing, and a very pleasant aftertaste of chocolate. The mouth feel of the beer is amazing as well, almost like drinking velvet. The creaminess just coats your mouth, and the carbonation is not assaulting in the mouth at all.

Over all this beer is an amazing one. Some might find the chocolate a little overwhelming, but as the title states, it is a chocolate bock. I hope this one comes in a six pack later on, as it would be an excellent night cap or meal ender.

Chocolatey, pleasant, and quite enjoyable.

Disclaimer: I cant smell but it hasn't curbed my ability to enjoy fine brews. It has only curbed my ability to tell you what it smells like.
I ALWAYS drink from the bottle...I almost never know what the beer looks like...not even sure why thats important.
I don't know the difference between a growler and a snifter, and I dont think anything shaped like a tulip should have beer in it!

Mouth feel? that just sound offensive...:) is this a serious thing?

I am an irreverent beer snob!

1.79/5  rDev -51.1%

Sam Adams missed the target here. This was part of their winter seasonal twelve pack. Folks usually purchase it as a gift for beer drinkers. I would prefer the return of the Cranberry Lambic. The chocolate is prominent but the concoction is thin and fizzy like a soda. Man did they screw it up.

A: dark like a porter but if you blinked the head was gone - zero lacing.

S: some chocolate but no sensuality.

T: Imagine a teaspoon of Hershey's syrup in a quart of water.

M: Imagine the water without the Hershey's syrup.

O: Bad execution - bad beer experience. Tastes like something Bud would try to sell.

3.78/5  rDev +3.3%

I bought two bottles of this at Friar Tuck since they had them marked wrong. I opened it up to share with with and I'm glad I did as I would not be able to drink the entire bottle myself. Appearance was great as every SA are, dark and velvety looking. Smell was inviting, but the taste was a little too chocolatey. Carbonation was right on, but would not buy another at the price offered.

2.99/5  rDev -18.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Appearance. Almost black with a 1 finger tan head that leaves pretty quickly. Not much lacing at all.
Aroma. Chocolate, bready and sweet malts. Dark chocolate and coffee. Something a little funny I can't pick up.
Taste. Definitely chocolate. Coffee and water. Burnt oaky charred aftertaste. No hoppy bitterness that I can tell.
Mouthfeel. After the first sip it feels very thin and watery. Maybe had it too cold. Medium carbonation.
Overall. Not too impressed. Watered down and smelled a little funky. Glad it wad part of a variety pack.

4.45/5  rDev +21.6%

I had this one hand for the new year, cracked it opened. It pours quite easily with little carbination. After pouring the head almost completely disappears leaving a trace of whispy lacing floating on top. To sum the flavor..it's definitely smooth and slightly complex with no chaulky taste make this one very drinkable.

3.15/5  rDev -13.9%

Too expensive! I'm sorry to say I paid $13 for this beer. I would have much rather had a 6-pack of Ayinger Celebrators.

A- Dark as it should be. Large, but light foam.

S- Faint, not too aromatic.

T- Malty, slight chocolate notes.

M- Watery, not as heavy as I like my darker beers. Low carbonation.

Overall, I don't know why I bought this. I am not satisfied. It simply wasn't worth the price. Had it been cheaper I may have given it a more forgiving review, but that simply isn't going to happen.

Try again, Sam Adams.

3.56/5  rDev -2.7%

First I have to admit I have only tried 2 other chocolate beers (youngs double and brooklyns) but i really enjoyed this. It was definitely very sweet and tasted more like milk chocolate to me rather than dark. I can see how most people would feel that it had an artificial taste to. I would probably recommend it for dessert and to be really savored.

3.89/5  rDev +6.3%

A: Very dark brown, Guinness colored head. No lacing to speak of.

S: Dark nut, coffee and chocolate notes

Mouthfeel: thick and somewhat velvety

Tasting notes: Very sweet. Chocolate taste almost overpowers anything else, but I can detect some notes of coffee, maybe a dash of vanilla. Really more of a dessert beer, I wish the chocolate wasn't so dominant to make room for some other flavors. It is essentially the beer equivalent of a Hershey's bar.

This beer's color is near black in color. The head is thick but quick to dissipate. Very nice chocolate smell. The taste is chocolate up front, malty finish, back to chocolate for the after-taste. This is a great beer that I would love to have again, unfortunatly the price is quite extreme. I can get a 750 of my favorite trapist ale for about half the price.

2.58/5  rDev -29.5%

I was very excited to find a display of this in my local Fresh Market. I honestly had not heard of this beer and for $15.99, I was a little hesitant to try. But I figured it was for Thanksgiving and might be a treat. To say I was unimpressed would be an understatement. The appearance and smell was slghtly promising, but beyond that..nothing. Very light mouthfeel and a hint of chocolate. Unless I was given a bottle, I will not try this again.

3.95/5  rDev +7.9%

I don't go for chocolate type beers, but if its from Sam Adams, I have to give it a shot. Got it in the holiday pack. Not overpowering with chocolate but has a typical bock bite. The finish is really smooth, as one would expect out of a chocolate beer. Won't go out of my way to buy it again, but still very good.

4.25/5  rDev +16.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

For anyone who likes a smooth creamy sweet beer from time to time this is a must try. It was like a chocolate beer milk shake.

I had it as 12oz bottle and gotta say it was one my favorite chocolate beers ever. I just wish it was more available.

3.38/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a glass into a mug. The color is a very dark, yet slightly clear, brown. The smells include chocolate with a slightly nutty hint to it. The taste is average for a chocolate-style bock with slightly overwhelming note of bitter chocolate for the aftertaste and a lack of complexity. The mouthfeel is more towards the coarse side than I would have expected or wanted, however, the chewy feel is perfect for the seasonal. Overall, the beer was nice but is not something I would suggest in general.

4.63/5  rDev +26.5%

A - Not exactly black but one dark brew. The head is off white with a decent amount of lacing.

S - It certainly smells like a rich dark chocolate bar. The smell doesn't exactly hit you over the head but it's certainly a presence of chocolate and nuts.

T - This beer definitely lives up to its name! It's very chocolaty and creamy. I feel like this would go great with a simple vanilla ice cream. I'm very pleased with this one!

M - Medium/Heavy. It's creamy and goes down slow.

D - I'm in no rush to plow through six of these. It's easy to take my time drinking this one!

4.53/5  rDev +23.8%

Had this beer on 8/26/09, a few months after its "best by" date of April 09. I personnally thought that this beer was outstanding. Smooth, clean but flavoriful. Subtle but complex. I am only sorry that I will likely not be able to find more.

A - dark but held to light very clear. Foam was nice but min lace
S - Malts and the chocolate notes come through
T - Great. Flavoriful but not heavy. The chocolate comes through subtly but clearly. Nice.
M - Maybe its best quality. Smooth, clean finish. Only the nice flavors linger.
D - Awesome

Samuel Adams Chocolate Bock from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)