1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Samuel Adams Chocolate Bock - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Chocolate BockSamuel Adams Chocolate Bock

good

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Bock |  5.80% ABV

(Beer added by: TinusTime on 11-20-2003)
View: Beers (117) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Chocolate Bock Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,366 | Reviews: 1,104 | Show All Ratings:
meathookjones

3.05/5  rDev -16%

A bit pricey at 15 bucks a bottle but I decided to pick it up anyway. This pours out a brown color with reddish highlights and a good looking tan head that quickly drops to a ring of bubbles. All I could detect in the aroma is chocolate and maybe a touch of roasted coffee. Chocolate is dominant in the flavor with hints of roasted malts and coffee stirring about but not much else. I love chocolate and beer but the taste just wasn’t doing it for me. Mouthfeel was a bit thin and well carbonated. Drinkability was fairly low as I was getting sick of the taste and had trouble finishing the bottle. Not something I would try again for that price but not a bad beer.

08-05-2004 16:07:01 | More by meathookjones
winomark

Missouri

2.8/5  rDev -22.9%

Slightly transparent medium brown with a persistant light tan head. Lots of chocolate malt(not chocolate and malt) nose. Mildly remeniscent of Michelob Amber Bock. Lots of chocolate, both milk and dark throughout the palate. Malt component is completely gone. Mild, smooth and long finish. To me, this is not a beer. Might as well be a cold glass of hot chocolate. If I knew what I would have gotten for my $16, I would have passed. Tasty, but not impressive by any means.

P.S. Nice bottle.

07-26-2004 02:40:10 | More by winomark
ybnorml

Rhode Island

3.5/5  rDev -3.6%

This beer appears dark brown but has a definte ruby tint when held up to the light. The head started out big and tan but then quickly disappeared. The aroma is light chocolate and maybe a hint of coffee but not much else. At first the chocolate flavor jumps all over your tongue but quickly slides away leaving a slight hint of a bock beer on the finish. If I were a chocoholic then I would LOVE this beer. I am not. So I do not feel it was worth the Price $14.99. A decent brew but not exceptional.

07-12-2004 23:39:58 | More by ybnorml
Beervis

Ontario (Canada)

3.55/5  rDev -2.2%

I am a little unimpressed with this beer. The packaging is great, but it's what's inside that counts, and unfortunately, there's not much here!
The color and initial aroma of chocolate is great, and the head is also attractive, although very short-lived. The mouthfeel is very thin and lacks much character. The finish is a bit "watery" and fades too quickly. It was refreshing, but for the price, I expected a lot more here.

07-12-2004 22:05:35 | More by Beervis
cbl2

3.28/5  rDev -9.6%

Appearance:

750 mL bottle with metal embossment. Best by June 2004. Pours a nice clear reddish-brown with a half inch tan head.

Smell:

Faint hints of bitter chocolate with mild malt undertones, but mainly unremarkable.

Taste/Mouthfeel:

Perhaps the most chocolate I've ever tasted in a beer before. Not as smooth as I would like, and no other flavors besides the chocolate. I like this beer, and drinkability is high, but the price isn't right.

06-16-2004 20:42:18 | More by cbl2
Salpta

South Carolina

2.78/5  rDev -23.4%

I received this one for Valentines day (who didnt?). Anyway I was very excited, but the brew itself was all over the board.

It looked like a deap brown porter, smelled (reeked?) of chocolate, and was mildly thick on the tounge. Unfortunatly the aftertaste was of dark chocolate which i absolutely ABHORE. And what was worse? it lingered. The initial sweet maltiness only hung around long enough to get it's ticket checked before the chocolate set in.

I choaked down the second pint.

Summery: If you like Dark Chocolate, then by all means try this. If you don't, then avoid it like the plague.

06-08-2004 23:01:34 | More by Salpta
Jason

3.08/5  rDev -15.2%

This beer could easily be mistaken for a brown porter. I really did not get that traditional malt flavor that is associated with bocks nor did I get that lagered character either. The head was a bit fizzy and that told me right away that the body was going to be a tad thin which it was. The only saving grace was the chocolate in the aroma and flavor which was pleasant though seemed to be too sweet for me. A decent chocolate brew but I expected more body and a heartier character for what the bottle was going for.

05-15-2004 12:48:44 | More by Jason
chugamugofsud

Oregon

3.75/5  rDev +3.3%

This beer is a limited edition Valentine's Day beer from the Sam Adams group of beers but is found at a very hefty price. The pint pours darker than most bocks and leaves a thick, lightly colored head on the top. The smell is actually almost mute, giving away only a hint of chocolate. I was surprised when this beer actually tasted excellent, with more than subtle hints of chocolate. The bock taste combinede with the chocolate taste just.... flat out works. I don't really drink Sam Adams ever but this beer is relatively solid. I doubt I'll get another because of the price, though.

05-14-2004 14:48:46 | More by chugamugofsud
IrishRedRock

4.2/5  rDev +15.7%

Great bottle, as the BBC is known for doing with the super-special limited offerings. Color appears to be a deep brown, but is actually a glowing ruby when held to the light. Head dissipates quickly. Aroma is quite nice: toasted malt, dark chocolate, almonds, coconut, and a sort of sweet perfumy smell. The flavor is not nearly as complex as the aroma, though it is very nice indeed. Nice rich chocolate flavor with a big malt profile. Hops are very subtle but noticeable. Alcohol is kept completely in check. I'm pleasantly surprised with this one. Could use more complexity, but it's very good. Worth the $13.95 my roommate paid for it? This I'm not sure of, but it is good. Thanks to ElGuapo I still have another bottle to enjoy on a relaxing night on my roof.

04-27-2004 22:15:05 | More by IrishRedRock
GuinnessSmurf

Missouri

3.95/5  rDev +8.8%

As far as first impressions go, setting this attractive bottle on any dinner setting goes a long way in show. However, I was more interested in how the beer performed than looked in the bottle.

It is a dark, syrupy beer with a heavy cocoa aroma - some hints that remind me of a cherry cordial. The overall intensely sweet, desserty nature of the smell had me a excited.

This is an excellent, full bodied beer. Starts with a creamy blend of chocolate, red raspberry and roasted malts. The beer is creamy and heavy, but not overly thick. The presence of alcohol grows from the initial sip and couples the flavor throughout each sip, mostly as a warming sensation in the mouth.

04-26-2004 10:09:31 | More by GuinnessSmurf
kmo1030

4.08/5  rDev +12.4%

ruby mohagany colored with a light brown thick creamy head that shrinks to a thin film quickly. delicate chocolate smell with nuttiness, breadiness, and herbal hops; pleasantly this is not the chocolate bomb i was expecting. the taste further puts this expectation down, as the chocolate is very delicate here too. there is a butteriness as well as nutty flavors. there is a subtle bittersweet almost berry flavor in there as well as a little hops to round things out. excellent smooth chocolate flavor. this turned out to be a lot better than i was expecting. it has a surprisingly light body for all the flavor which lends to a good drinkability. a really good beer, but goddamn the price tag.

04-20-2004 19:45:44 | More by kmo1030
MuddyFeet

4.28/5  rDev +17.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Yeah, like this one. The bottle has silver embossing for a label. Kind of different. Makes me feel like I won the Olympics. Pours dark brown with a slight tinge in red. There was a thick head that went away fairly quickly to form around the edge of the glass. The lace was also tinged brown. The aroma is chocolate. The taste is very heavy on the chocolate and malt. Not sweet, just bitter enough to make the chocolate palatable. The malt flavor is most noticeable in the aftertaste. It is a very smooth beer. Very easy to not realize just how fast one is drinking it.

04-15-2004 23:10:06 | More by MuddyFeet
erica

4.35/5  rDev +19.8%

This beer made me smile, despite the fact that it's all expensive ($15 a bottle) and not readily available to me. I could've done without the silver embossed label/medal thing, but it was cool looking. Anyway, I'm a chocolate lover, and this was big on chocolate. It poured a dark reddish blackish colour, looked like coffee pretty much. It smelled like coffee and chocolate, roasty and sweet. It tasted much like it smelled, but with more chocolate flavour in there. It started out more like roasted malt and finished with dark chocolatey goodness. Mouthfeel was pretty good, not syrupy at all as I might've expected with something chocolatey. Drinkability was pretty good too, well I would've probably had another glass if it were available.

04-06-2004 19:50:35 | More by erica
hustlemuscle

3.83/5  rDev +5.5%

Pours darkly out of the big bottle with the stupid foil thing on it. Smells ok, of mocha and a little malt. Tastes pretty good, a bit watery, but mostly of mild malts and cocoa chocolate. Easy to drink, but mostly because it lacks any real body. Almost like it was rushed out the door. Perhaps if they had spent the money they spent on the bottle on the beer, it would have been that much better. A bit of a disappointment, and thank god I didn't pay for it.

04-05-2004 04:02:27 | More by hustlemuscle
francisweizen

Arizona

4.25/5  rDev +17.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

nice 750 bottle with an embossed label. Room temp (thanks guys). This one looks really inviting in the glass. A deep ruby-red/port colour with a small tan head of foam that dies quickly. Aromas are very vinous, bock-like, malty, deep, roasted, chocolatey, and a bit caramel/coffee like as well. The taste is nice as well, A very chocolatey blend of roasted malts and background hops. This brew is so balanced, and its not too sweet or too bitter. If you love chocolate, you will probably give this beer at least a 4! The mouthfeel is creamy and nice, but a tad bit thin, for a 6% bock. The drinkability is excellent, but I could never see myself drinking more than one of these. Price and availability aside, this is a nice bock-style brew from Sam Adams. It brings the chocolate and it brings it hard. Although i'd never buy this again (especially at $15) i'm glad that I got to try it out for myself. Oh, and one more thing...if this brew became part of their line-up and was a $6-8 six-pack, than i'd probably be all over it!

04-02-2004 18:59:42 | More by francisweizen
kbub6f

3.33/5  rDev -8.3%

Nice bottle. Head is small, tan, coarse and noisy. It leaves small spots of lacing. Beer is dark (dark), reddish brown. Almost black. Nose is roasty nuts, tangy chocolate and it is sweet. Dark chocolate, as expected, up front, but a fairly light taste. Are those prunes? Middle is thinner than expected, with grapes. It tastes just like Glossette chocolate-covered raisins. Lots of chocolate in the finish. It's fairly bitter, but still sweet. Tangy. Quite roasty. This is a very chocolatey beer. Maybe a little too much for me. Plenty of sweet chocolate and sourish fruit, a little thin/watery. Maybe I'm expecting too much. But definitely a little too chocolatey for me.

03-28-2004 16:05:14 | More by kbub6f
Suds

3.63/5  rDev 0%

This beer came in a large bottle with an attractive foil-like label.
Pours a dark brown with a reddish-tinge. The head is cream colored, slight, and short-lived. The nose is dominately chocolate and sugar...In fact, it remindes me of Nestle's Quick. Underneath the chocolate smell is a malt backbone, but it's hidden (or overpowered) by the chocolate. The taste is sweet, but not overdone...The chocolate character is present through the entire taste. Finish is well balanced. It's lighter in body than I expected, given the smell, and is slightly chalky. Low carbonation. This is a sipping beer to be enjoyed slowly, but the sweetness can be cloying and the chocolate is certainly distracting after the first sips. Although satisfying, it lacks the depth and complexity of a great beer, and was a something of a dissapointment (given the hype).

03-28-2004 01:15:43 | More by Suds
Brent

Kentucky

A solidly good beer, but I thought the price was a bit high for the level of quality. The malty chocolate notes were a bit more understated than I expected, which was actually good, as it allowed a better appreciation to the delicate nature of the chocolate background, which was almost silky. Toward the finish the beer turned a little thinner and a touch acidic, which was a detraction. Not an over-the-top chocolate experience like Rogue Chocolate Stout, but that's not what they were going for here. A pleasant dessert or nightcap beer.

Style points for the bottle, with a fantastic olde world embossed antique silver medallion label.

03-26-2004 14:45:54 | More by Brent
moulefrite

I'm reviewing this after getting dropped from 2nd place to eliminated in the 2004 March Madness BA pool! Thanks, AkSmokedPorter, you saved my day! The pour is deep chestnut, the head is a light cap of creamy beige/brown, and the lace is but a show a speckles about the glass. Aromas are deeply malty, and crunchy chocolate with a late hit of coffee and sweet raisin. The mouthfeel is of a creamy chocolate fizz. Flavors are on the ultra rich side-bitter chocolate liquor, sweet malt, coffee, and more, and more chocolate. I'm sipping this after a very nice dinner and this is a super choice for dessert! I'm lucky as well to have been sent the very chocolate used to make the brew, thanks to AKSmokedPorter. It matches up very nicely. My wife said to mention that it makes for a sublime chocolate burp! Thanks again Chris, for the sample! I think the Mocha bar went best, and my wife just seconded that!

03-21-2004 03:10:17 | More by moulefrite
Indybeer

Indiana

3.23/5  rDev -11%

22 oz bomber. Poured a deep dark mahogony, with a moderate head that quickly faded. Small amount of lacing left behind. Aroma is chocolate malt. The taste is more of the same. It has moderate carbonation, and a syrupy sweet aftertaste, make is a slow drinking beer. Not bad, but I'm not sure it was worth the price. Other than to say I've had it and another bottle for my wall.

03-20-2004 04:03:46 | More by Indybeer
beergeek279

3.9/5  rDev +7.4%

Served in the 750 mL bottle into a goblet. The color is black, with a ring and wispy white head. The smell is a light chocolate with a bit of malt. The taste starts with a bit of the malt character and then warms to the chocolate taste and the slightly bitter chocolate aftertaste. Mouthfeel is average. As for drinkability, might have a couple more.

If this was 8 dollars a bottle, I'd probably get another one of these; since I paid 22 dollars for this, I have to say I'm a bit underwhelmed. Not a terrible beer and in fact a nice taste, but if they want to charge a elite price then they should make an elite beer, and this just isn't elite.

03-14-2004 19:42:35 | More by beergeek279
fdrich29

4.13/5  rDev +13.8%

Ok so no false advertising here folks, the bottle says chocolate and you get a rich, chocolatey beer.

Bottle has a pewter/silverish badge on the front simply saying Samuel Adams Chocolate Boch (a few inches below the $14.99 price tag from Gordon's Liquors in Waltham..ouch).

Once poured the head which was nearly three fingers tall disappeared quickly before my eyes. Very sweet smell coming from the glass, which eerily weaves a tale of murder in the pitch black night.

For some reason I expected each sip to taste somewhat different from the last, but as I got closer and closer to polishing off the bottle I was pleasantly surprised with the same chocolate flavor with every taste.

The drink feels smooth and silky, as if someone melted down some fine chocolate and put it in the bottle. The taste lingers in the mouth long enough to make you pick your glass right back up again for some more SA goodness.

Price tag aside, this is a very drinkable dessert beer. I was surprised at just how drinkable, as this is a bock after all, just don't tell the kid in your who thinks its a drink from Herseys.

03-12-2004 22:36:53 | More by fdrich29
watermelonman

4.15/5  rDev +14.3%

This is one chocolate beer. It poured to a nearly black color with hints of ruby with a minimal head that didn't last. What did last, was an excellent chocolate flavor and a great smell. The mouthfeel was delicate but rich. There's plenty of chocolate and cocoa in there, but the way it blends with the rest of the beer is really nice.

A lot of people are going to complain about the price tag on this one. I agree, the dollar value charged here is an insult to humanity. However, I'm not reviewing bargains here. I'm reviewing beer, and this is a good beer.

03-12-2004 10:05:20 | More by watermelonman
charlottebeerguy

3.7/5  rDev +1.9%

I had been hearing so much about this beer i knew i had to find some, so through some friends i found a shop in my area that carried it. I was lucky because they only had two bottles left.
The one thing thing I was not to happy about in the beginning was the price tag. This beer was a steep $15 for a 750ml, so needless to say I was stingy with this beer, but a week after i had bought it i had to crack it.
The bottle was amazing with it's pewter Sam Adams label. I poured the beer into a glass a watched as this deep ruby beer filled my glass. It had a light tan head and a burnt chocolate aroma.
The first taste was a malty chocolate goodness. Smoothe in the mouth with a nice even finsh. Not something you want want to sit down and gulp,but something you want to sit down and enjoy.

03-10-2004 04:43:08 | More by charlottebeerguy
ChrisBowers

4.15/5  rDev +14.3%

This is an excellent and immensely flavorful brew, if you have someone to drink it with. I say this, simply, because the chocolate flavors are so intense that you may feel like you scarfed down a pound of chocolate chips if you drink the whole 750 yourself. With that being said, the flavors in this beer are amazing. I found that once the brew hit about 55 degrees, the rich chocolate mellowed out a bit to a very pleasant sipping beer. I don't know how much of this I would run out and buy, given its $15.99 price tag, but it was well worth the try. A truely unique beer that you owe it to yourself to try once.

03-09-2004 22:19:59 | More by ChrisBowers
Samuel Adams Chocolate Bock from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)