Samuel Adams Chocolate Bock - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Chocolate BockSamuel Adams Chocolate Bock

good

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Bock |  5.80% ABV

(Beer added by: TinusTime on 11-20-2003)
View: Beers (127) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Chocolate Bock Alström Bros
pzrhsau

District of Columbia

3.03/5  rDev -16.5%

Appearance: Nice dark color that turned almost reddish when held to the light. This did not have a good head at all.
Smell: Nice tangy chocolate aroma to it with a subtle malt compliment.
Taste: Light, not really what i was expecting. The chocolate aftertaste was very nice. I could tell the company went out of its way to get that nice cocoa bean flavor. It felt a little like a chocolate soda to me, which was not the hearty rich beer I wanted.
Mouthfeel: Crisp with a light carbonation.
Drinkability: This went down a lot easier than I thought. I just felt there was a complexity that was missing for the price. I was able to get it for half price, but otherwise it was a stretch for me to get it.

09-30-2009 21:09:51 | More by pzrhsau
edbeer

Rhode Island

4.55/5  rDev +25.3%

A - dark but held to light very clear. Foam was nice but min lace
S - Malts and the chocolate notes come through
T - Great. Flavoriful but not heavy. The chocolate comes through subtly but clearly. Nice.
M - Maybe its best quality. Smooth, clean finish. Only the nice flavors linger.
D - Awesome

09-30-2009 00:56:40 | More by edbeer
stakem

3.55/5  rDev -2.2%

Review from notes taken on 9/11.

Pours a very dark brown with creamy tanned head. Little lacing on the glass. Nose upfront is full of chocolate, little bit of malt and hops in the tail end. Taste is chocolate with only a minor bock feel if any to this beer. Smooth dry and warming finish. Slight bisquit/malt taste. Light mouthfeel and low carb level. Some alcohol taste as it warms with a bit of darker chocolate notes.

09-28-2009 17:39:35 | More by stakem
cooncat

3.65/5  rDev +0.6%

Thanks to my gaming buddy and fellow BA, Chuckhere, for providing this (overpriced) sample.

Poured into two pint glasses, after a short stint in the refrigerator. The beer has a nice 1 inch mocha colored head, which sticks around, a bit, but doesn't leave much in the way of lacing. Color is dark mahogany, or perhaps deep garnet. Red highlights visible on the sides of the glass when holding it up to a light.

The nose was somewhat uninspiring and disappointing. I've had a lot of 'chocolate' brews, and this one was pretty 'light in the loafers', when it comes to chocolate aroma. What aromas there were gave the impression of a regular bock, with a hint of cocoa powder.

The taste is more chocolatey, especially as you let it warm. I'm not sure I could equate it with high qality chocolate nibs ... more like the flavor of a warm glass of cocoa on a cold day. No hop presence, or alcohol warming. The mouthfeel is medium at best, and definitely not up to what I was expecting. The brew is very silky smooth, and as an after dinner dessert drink, it would hold its own well. As for drinkability, this is pretty much a one-shot, end of the day/session brew for me; a nice night-cap. Even though its at session brew alcohol levels, the sweetness would be too much for more than one quaff. Besides, at $15/bottle, you'd have to be living the 'high life' to afford this more than once a year, as a nice treat.

Bottom line, a nice after dinner brew, which most will enjoy. Find a good friend to split the bottle with, and celebrate some special occasion with it.

Na Zdravje!

09-26-2009 11:10:41 | More by cooncat
AndyAvalanche

3.98/5  rDev +9.6%

Poured into a Sam Adams Perfect Pint glass. Pours a brown/amber color that comes out about as light a brown as it can possibly be without being red when held up to the light. The head is a chocolate moose or nougat color with some lacing to it that goes away after a bit. While your drinking it I'd say it's better than average, but when finished the glass only has little splotches of lacing. The smell is good, but not quite as chocolaty as I expected. Really more of a cocoa or nestle' quick type mix, it's really not very strong. I enjoyed the taste. Again, not quite as chocolaty as I expected, but there was a chocolate taste that was present throughout. There is a coco taste present but also some bitter chocolate for the aftertaste. Also some roasted malt taste very present. I find that in many bock style beers the alcohol taste can be strong, but not in this one. I found the mouthfeel to be very good on this, it's better as it warms up, but not bad cold either. I find it very light bodied which is rare for any chocolate style beer that I've ever tried. There was absolutely no carbonation or alcohol bite to this at all. I also found this beer incredibly drinkable cold and when it warms up a bit. It was a bit pricey though so I don't know if I'll ever get it again. I'll most likely save the bottle, it's cool looking.

09-15-2009 03:52:39 | More by AndyAvalanche
Duhast500

Rhode Island

4.72/5  rDev +30%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The 2nd to last bottle remaining from the winter 2008 release.

Poured from the 22oz. bottle into a stemmed glass.

The color is a nice dark brown to black with a light brown had with about three fingers two fingers of some really nice looking foam.

The smell is malty with some dark chocolate flavor that is pretty right up front. There is also some slight vanilla aroma.

The taste is pretty creamy, with a nice malty chocolate flavor. Is a bit like Chocolate milk with the warming feeling of alcohol to give a slight bit to the taste. Is pretty tasty even with a little age on it and is better than some chocolate stout I have had.

The feel to this beer is a pleasant medium bodied bock with a pretty light feel with some wisps of alcohol that does tend to make this beer feel heavier at times.

09-09-2009 19:50:07 | More by Duhast500
thain709

3.65/5  rDev +0.6%

A - Very dark brown...actually I'd say it's black in color...a tan head forms...not very big...pretty fizzy...reminds me of pouring a Coke...some lacing

S - Not huge aromas but notes of chocolate and some dark fruits

T - The chocolate is not as big as I would have expected but it's a nice touch...some coffee flavors are rolling around...the big flavor in this one is the roasted malts...well I would say roasted as much as they were almost burnt...the malts were past the roasted point that I enjoy

M - Medium bodied...but very light as well...smooth and creamy

D - I was surprised with how light this was and the low ABV which help the drinkability...I liked the chocolate presence in this one...but the malts were a little too roasted for me...overall a decent beer that I'm glad I tried

09-04-2009 12:43:41 | More by thain709
ImusBeer

Georgia

3.68/5  rDev +1.4%

Bought this one awhile back at the Beverage Superstore a 22oz bottle with great packaging.

It poured very dark with red overtones and a nice tan head that died in several minutes. It had a light cocoa aroma but not at all as much as I was expecting with the word Chocolate blazened on the front of the bottle. The taste was mainly that of roasted malt with the chocolate becoming more apparent after it warmed up a bit.

The mouthfeel was mostly light even with the dark appearance and although the drinkability was good I expected more from Sam.

09-03-2009 14:36:09 | More by ImusBeer
caddybuyer

3.78/5  rDev +4.1%

poured from a very fancy bottle with and embossed label. This was also a pretty expensive brew, so lets hope it is good.

A-Dark brown brew with cherry cola highlights when held to the light. Slight tan head that settles rapidly into nothingness. Too bad.

S-Malty, and slightly British...reminds me of Hobgoblin with a wee bit of cocoa in the background. Interesting, but not impressive.

T-Sweet malty start, a whif velvety cocoa, and a sweet finish. The best thing I can say about this is that it is very interesting...Not bad, not good, only so so. It reminds me a bit of SA Holiday Porter with some chocolate thrown in for good measure. This is not as bad as some of the reviews would lead you to believe.

M-Very nice velvety mouthfeel yet slightly on the thin side at the same time.

D-Drinkability? Well...its OK, I't kind of fun, and not a drainpour....I'm glad I tried it, and I give Jim Kudos for trying something different, but I don't think I'll be buying another anytime soon..I mean, sheesh, I can buy 2 750's of Chimay for the price of this...

08-29-2009 23:42:53 | More by caddybuyer
SACraig

Colorado

4.55/5  rDev +25.3%

Had this beer on 8/26/09, a few months after its "best by" date of April 09. I personnally thought that this beer was outstanding. Smooth, clean but flavoriful. Subtle but complex. I am only sorry that I will likely not be able to find more.

A - dark but held to light very clear. Foam was nice but min lace
S - Malts and the chocolate notes come through
M - Maybe its best quality. Smooth, clean finish. Only the nice flavors linger.
D - Awesome

08-29-2009 03:52:54 | More by SACraig
yesyouam

3.93/5  rDev +8.3%

Samuel Adams Chocolate Bock is a clear dark red lager with a small, dense, yellowish light beige head that leaves good lacing. It has a tart aroma that's a little sweet and chocolaty. It has a smooth medium body with a slick, oily finish. It has a nice, tart bock flavor with plenty of dry, roasty chocolate and a note of vanilla. It's really clean and tasty.

08-03-2009 13:21:22 | More by yesyouam
BeanBone

3.43/5  rDev -5.5%

Appearance: A rich reddish-brown body with laser beams of red highlights. Up top, a little over a finger of tan head that burns out quickly and leaves little lacing.

Aroma: Standard dark fruit and darkish malt Bock aromas with just a hint of milk chocolate.

Taste: Much the same as the aroma. It's essentially a regular Bock with all of the usual nutty, raisiny, and malty notes. The milk chocolate character is more prevalent in the flavor profile but still not as prominent as I'd like. The aftertaste is roasty with a mild hint of alcohol.

Mouthfeel: Medium-light bodied with moderate carbonation and a drying finish.

Drinkability: Very sessionable, though you'd quickly run up quite a tab at this price.

Verdict: Unfortunately, Chocolate Bock falls a little short; it's not much more than a middle-of-the-road Bock with some mild chocolate flavors mixed in. While this would work as part of a mixed twelve-pack, this 750ml doesn't quite measure up to the over ten dollar price tag.

08-03-2009 00:56:53 | More by BeanBone
bbeane

3.83/5  rDev +5.5%

A- Poured into a Pilsner glass... Very dark in color, but not so dark that no light shines through when held up to one. Light brownish head maybe about 1/4 inch thick. Doesn't leave much lacing. Beer looks very active

S- Not overly aromatic. Slight malt smell with some chocolatey overtones

T- Tasty. Slightly malty tasting with just the right amount of chocolatey overtones

M- Pretty light bodied compared to the color of the brew. Very smooth.

D- I would definately drink more, and see no reason that I couldn't drink quite a few in a night

CHEERS!

07-26-2009 01:55:12 | More by bbeane
jrallen34

2.23/5  rDev -38.6%

I drank this from the bottle into a chalice.

Being a Sameul Adams product I had fairly high hopes for this despite the word chocolate being in the title. Unfortunatley, quite a let down.

This is a very poor effort all the way around.

Doesn't have a very disticnt aroma or flavor.

07-22-2009 19:30:04 | More by jrallen34
sophisticated

3.8/5  rDev +4.7%

I have not had a ton of bocks, and certainly no chocolate bocks before this. I have been wanting to try this but the typical $18 price tag has steered me away. However, I found this for $10...But this was due to the "best by" date of April 2009. So take that into consideration.

A) Poured light to dark brown - light came in around the edges. Very cola-looking. Thin light brown head and no lacing.

S) Malts and cocoa at first. When it warmed up vanilla came through but also something like whiskey. The alcohol was noticeable, even with the low ABV.

T) Heavy malts, vanilla and dark chocolate, and the alcohol could be tasted. It was on the sweet side, but not overly chocolately. More complex than some straight forward chocolate stouts, for example.

MF) Smooth and medium-bodied, but flat. Low carbonation - not sure if this would be due to the fact that it was a bit old.

D) Pretty good. Pleasant enough, pretty nice taste. And a low ABV of 5.5%.

Overall I'm glad I tried this, but it's not necessarily for me. I wonder how the bottle I tried would compare to a fresher bottle.

07-20-2009 14:11:28 | More by sophisticated
Winter

Wisconsin

4.33/5  rDev +19.3%

Pours dark brown in color, almost black, with a frothy brown head. Aroma consists of cocoa, chocolate malt, candied raisins and a touch of alcohol. The mouthfeel is medium-to almost full - in body. Rich malty body. Flavors of cocoa, chocolate malt, and tobacco are all dominant. Raisin follows that into a dry middle. Chocolate frosting emerges just before a long satisfying finish. This is a bold beer. So much so, that I would be tempted to pair this with a cigar and suggest you consume both in a contemplative mood.

This ranks as one of the most complex bock beers I have tried. The bottle I tried had a Best by date of April 2009. 3 months later, I'd say it still holds up. I enjoyed this enough that it would warrant another purchase.

07-11-2009 03:12:44 | More by Winter
rfgetz

3.75/5  rDev +3.3%

A: deep dark brown with a light mahogany hue. quickly disapearing thick khaki head.

S: Roasted malts and chocolate with a bready nose as you get used to the scents.

T: Malty and Sweet Chocolate with an almost dessert bready like. The chocolate itself is bitter, the sweetness comes from the malt. Notes of dark fruit and vanilla sugar on the finish.

M: Medium body, very smooth but nice little lingering aftertaste

D: excellent chocolate beer, slightly different from your typical chocolate stouts. The bock style lends itself nicely.

07-10-2009 16:15:18 | More by rfgetz
mothman

United Kingdom (Wales)

4.15/5  rDev +14.3%

Poured into my La Chouffe tulip

Poured somewhat vigorously resulting in 3 fingers of slight tanned head. Not dark, not light. Leaves some very little splattered lace. Some what good retention. Color is pretty much oil black.

Aroma: Dark chocolate. Reminds me of Belgium chocolate. A ton of malts. Caramel. Roasted flavor. Kind of reminds me of Sam Adams honey porter for some reason. A very robust aroma.

Taste: Caramel and dark chocolate. Very, very robust flavor packed with malts. Some earthy hops are present. This is one of my favorite bocks. A 4.5 is well deserved for this bock. Very good.

Mouthfeel: A little crisp. A big robust mouthfeel. Carbonation seems to be accurate. Full bodied for a lager. Leaves a smokey/malty aftertaste. Not to bad, but I hate smoke and this wasn't expected.

Overall, I am very impressed with Sam Adams on this one. Very drinkable and a ton of flavors. I know this beer isn't worth $15 at regular price, but on clearance it is a pretty fair deal. I shared this with the family and they even liked it.

07-09-2009 01:52:50 | More by mothman
maximum12

3.5/5  rDev -3.6%

Thanks to pepsican for a bottle of this tasty-looking treat.

This was pretty much a one-note treat, although a pretty good one. Nose: chocolate. Appearance: chocolate. Taste: chocolate. Mouthfeel: chocolate. Drinkability: pretty good, since I like chocolate.

Really, nothing else; this is a one-note beer for me. Not a tootie roll assault like some other Hershey brews, but just a steady drip of chocolate on the tongue.

Enjoyable but not something for every day.

07-05-2009 21:59:21 | More by maximum12
coldmeat23

Oklahoma

4.15/5  rDev +14.3%

GLASS: Pilsener Glass
TEMP: Cellared @ approx 45 degrees

Pours up a very dark brown color. Three fingers of loose, light brown foam forms the head. Retention is okay and the lacing is thin and slick.

Mild chocolate notes are here, backed by a generous presence of roasted malts and cocoa powder. Mild hints of smoke and light coffee notes. Slight presence of dark fruits. Light notes of honey and vanilla caramels.

The taste is like the nose, only better. The malts are thick and rich with a slight roasted quality. The chocolate is much more prominent than in the smell. Vanilla and honey are more prevelant, also. Nice presence of caramel. Cocoa powder and a mild kiss of spice notes, in the finish, give this one a nice, smoothness and balance.
This is mostly everything I love about Bocks, with an extra dose of chocolate and vanilla.

Good medium body on this one. Nice middle-of-the-road carbonation. Very smooth and a nice, mild creaminess.

Very good flavor and balance. Nice 5.5%ABV. This one is a keeper. If it weren't so pricey, it could be a very nice session beer.

06-27-2009 04:05:53 | More by coldmeat23
barleywinefiend

Washington

3.9/5  rDev +7.4%

Poured a coffee brown color with good carbonation that produced a tannish head. Nose is cocoa, caramel malt and some chocolate. Taste was dominated by cocoa and chocolate but not overdone. Taste was mildly sweet with cocoa, caramel and smoothness. Mouthfeel was smooth and creamy. Good brew but not worth the bucks you cough up to get it!

06-25-2009 02:33:11 | More by barleywinefiend
NewGeneric

Shared this earlier tonight with a friend. Poured a deep brown, almost black color with thick beige head that didn't fade too quickly and left decent lacing. Smelled of roasted chocolate malts, with hints of caramel and coffee. Tasted like chocolate up front with a nice malty finish. Pretty smooth and I would love to drink more if it weren't for the price tag...

06-19-2009 07:01:08 | More by NewGeneric
biegaman

Ontario (Canada)

3.75/5  rDev +3.3%

Chocolate Bock appeared awfully light coming out the bottle and still, to the light, shows a fair bit of transparency given its dark colour. Its head proves persistent and lays patches of glinty, sudsy webs of lace. Even though it would seem black, a closer inspection reveals more purplish tones and the vivid clarity of a finger on the other side of the glass.

Sam Adams may have added cocoa nibs but they've taken nothing away from the rich melanoidins and toasty overtones that characterize the aroma of a traditional bock; this smells profoundly malty-sweet. Maybe too sweet actually - this might cause a headache. Oddly enough the aroma has more honey and vanilla notes than it does chocolate.

I'm finding the beer rather tasty although I'm already wondering how it will fare over the course of the glass, much less the entire (rather large) bottle. The malts are sweet enough as is; well-attenuated and free of roast or burnt character, they offer plenty of caramel and toasty melanoidins. It tastes less like actual cocoa nibs than sweet chocolate, vanilla and honey.

Eyes shut I might not recognize this as anything other than a Bock. It is a super clean lager with nice toasty bits of maltiness. The caramel and melanoidin flavours linger momentarily before parting ways to a largely void aftertaste. The cocoa powder is just a tiny residual; it does little to temper the sweetness, which, frankly, can be a bit overwhelming by the end.

Samuel Adams Chocolate Bock may not be worth the price tag but it's certainly deserving of a little praise. The caramel, toasty melanoidins and chocolate worked. If I were in charge at the brewery I would leave the recipe just as is and change nothing but the price; this is something I'd be more likely to buy regularly than as a special occasion beer.

06-09-2009 03:48:27 | More by biegaman
ThatWineGuy

Ontario (Canada)

3.9/5  rDev +7.4%

This was a Christmas gift that was BB April 2009, suddenly I know why Premier Gourmet had this on sale in March. In any event, there is a fizzy tan head initially atop a cola-black liquid; soon only a ring is left. Smell was of chocolate almonds, not overly sweet. I thought the body was sufficiently smooth, nice texture, a lit thin in the body. Smell and taste were best soon after opening, air did not seem to develop much beyond that. Still, I thought that the first half of this beer was delightful with hot chocolate notes, cocoa beans, well balanced and not too sweet. There was also a toasted malty backbone that complimented the chocolate notes. With air and warming, it went a bit flat and the lovely flavours were less pronounced. Too bad I didn't pick some up on sale in March, exceedingly drinkable.

06-09-2009 03:15:55 | More by ThatWineGuy
ATPete

3.53/5  rDev -2.8%

750ml

Pours a deep brown/black color with a strong tan/brown head leaving lots of sticking. Roasty, toasty malt nose, sweet bakers chocolate. Not overly sweet in flavor but a bit too metallic, the slightest tang of bitterness on the end. Simple and boardering one dimensional. Well made for sure, but way over priced.

06-09-2009 00:36:42 | More by ATPete
Samuel Adams Chocolate Bock from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)