Samuel Adams Chocolate Bock - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Chocolate BockSamuel Adams Chocolate Bock

good

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Bock |  5.80% ABV

Beer added by: TinusTime on 11-20-2003

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Chocolate Bock Alström Bros
3.76/5  rDev +3.9%

750ml bottle into a Stella style glass - 2009 bottle that has been in my fridge since it was released.

A: Pours a deep cola with a big tan head that fades to a ring leaving some lacing on the glass.

S: The nose is really underwhelming...all I can really smell is a faint grainy malt aroma and a tiny bit of cocoa.

T: The taste is better than the nose leads on. It starts with a sweet chocolate milk flavor that fades to a cocoa and dark fruits finish. Pretty tasty for a 5.6% Bock.

M: The feel is bubbly and light - medium bodied.

D: This is really great and I look forward to trying this fresh again this year. Can't say it's worth $13-$14 but it is tasty.

2.96/5  rDev -18.2%

Tasted from 750mL bottle at Lush Roscoe. Pours a super dark amber with a medium gray-ish head that leaves nice lace around the glass. Nose is malted chocolate milk with dark roasted malts and even more milk chocolate. Flavors are very similar to the nose with milk chocolate and very dark malt and just a hint of sweetness. The body is creamy but not super heavy with light carbonation and a long roasted finish.

4.28/5  rDev +18.2%

Samuel Adams Chocolate Bock was a veryyy lucky find for me here in Florida.

This was a treat and I wish they would make this beer more available!

Poured a nice deep brown almost black tone. small brownish head. very nice lacing

Smelled wonderful cocoa maltiness, maybe even a slight woodsy coffee smell too.

The taste was awesome immediatly. the Chocolate presence was very substantial but not overbearing, The back end has a nice malty spicy hint to it. Seriously I felt like this was a treat.

The mouthfeel was thick but not too thick. coats your mouth and leaves that amazing aftertaste.

Very drinkable seemed like it would be heaver than 5.6abv by the spicy feel it left

If you could find this beer PLEASE try it.

3.31/5  rDev -8.6%

Appearance: Coffee color. Very little head.

Smell: Roasted malts and cocoa powder. Very little aroma at all.

Taste: Surprisingly subtle. Not chocolaty, like I was expecting. It's really like a very light stout. It's good, but honestly I was expecting more for the $$ I spent on it.

Drinkability: For how dark the beer is -- it's really fantastic. This beer was basically the easiest drinking stout I've ever had.

3.32/5  rDev -8.3%

The beer seemed fancy right off the bat. I got it for 14.00 which I thought was expensive. It was on discount! I bought it ad an impulse.
Poured dark with little to no head. The head that it did have was brown in color. Aras of raisins and dark chocalate right off the bat. Malts also present a back bone to thi beer.
The taste reminded me of milk duds and I felt compeled to try and chew. My wife said she enjoyed the chocolate finish which I tend to agree with.
I gave it a low score because for that price tag I was expecting much more. This one needs to be aged in barrels to become a better beer. The alcohol content was dissapointing as well because it was so low. Couldn't age this one. Better luck next time Samuel Adams.

3.53/5  rDev -2.5%

Appearance: Head is thin when poured and vanishes quickly. Beer is dark, somewhere between red and amber, and combined with light carbonation resembles cola.

Nose: Not much here. Possibly some caramel but not even a chocolate comes through.

Taste: Sweets come up first, but the only real chocolate characteristics of this beer are its cocoa-like flavor influenced by that dark cola appearance. The coffee/cola/chocolate aspects of this beer are muddy -- they don't shine through as a complicated brew but as a batch-of-whatever.

Settles well on the palette after a brief dance -- it gets down to business quickly as a sweet, chocolate beer. I think the alcohol comes through more (despite it's modest ABV) because this dark beer is not that complicated. Yeast there at the end. As some reviewers have pointed out, the body improves as the temperature rises.

Overall I like it, perhaps because I have a sweet tooth. It is not as complicated on the palette (nor as pleasurable) as the Scottish Stout, for example, but it is pleasing and somewhat smooth. I doubt I'd have another because I could get a Scottish Stout for the same price or just leap to the Founder's Kentucky Breakfast Stout for superior taste and experience. I applaud Sam Adams for experimenting. I for one appreciate it as one of the big-little guys of American brewing.

3.31/5  rDev -8.6%

Appearance - More like a brown ale. It had an almost red hue. The head was pretty light with minimal lacing. It had a light carbonation to it.

Smell - Nothing really stood out except the faint aroma of chocolate.

Taste - Not bad, but not very strong. I expected a little bit more especially after reading the label. It did not really impress, but it didn't disappoint. I will say it didn't remind me of a Bock. However, it did taste a lot stronger than 5.5%.

Mouthfeel - a little better than the taste. It was a pretty smooth drink.

Drinkability: All in all it wasn't a bad investment. It was definitely worth a try. Would I buy it again? No, i don't think I would.

3.1/5  rDev -14.4%

A. Dark and mysterious with good head retention.

S. Strong malt smell, sweet but also dull and soapy. Some hints of caramel and nuts.

T. Sweetness and some chocolate at the start but it fades quickly with little else behind it. I expected more and really found this beer to be lacking something. It is sweet and there is definitely chocolate, but then what.

M. For as disappointed as I was, this beer had decent mouthfeel. The carbonation was ok, but that much was expected.

D. This beer was very drinkable, but I wanted more so I'm not sure I would have another. I should point out that it was not bad, but I wish it was better.

This beer was very nicely packaged, and I tried not to hold that against it. I had seen this beer many times and did not pick it up until it was on closeout ($3.25 a bottle) and I really expected more from it.

3.92/5  rDev +8.3%

25oz bottle poured into a chalice.

Pours a very dark black with a small light brown head that fades really quick and leaves no lacing. Nose is malty, a bit sweet, boozy and theres some nice subtle chocolate notes.

Taste is surprisingly a bit boozy for such a low abv. Mouthfeel is also a bit light and watery, otherwise it's great. Nice chocolate after taste that lingers and is very authentic - as it should be with real cocoa. Cool beer that holds up with age, I found it on close out in NY for $8 so worth it for that price point.

3.38/5  rDev -6.6%

Poured from a 1 pt 9.4 fl oz (750ml) bottle into a Dogfish Head signature glass (February 22, 2010). "Enjoy Before April 2009" is printed on the rear label, apparently a bit old.

A very nice metallic label graces the bottle, hopefully a similar amount of quality went into the beer as the packaging.

Eyes: Very dark near black, I guess it has some red hues also. A little light does pass through when the glass is help to the light, but hardly any. A small, very fluffy, brownish, half-finger head forms and dissipates fairly quickly. Lacing is minimal.

Nose: Smells only a bit like chocolate, which gets a bit stronger as it warms. A mildly sweet malty aroma is in there also, with a nutty touch.

Tongue: I'm surprised the chocolate taste is so soft. The mini pamphlet that came with the bottle says this was aged in cocoa nibs, but I'm not sure it added to much complexity. Yes there is some chocolate, a hint of vanilla even, but the maltiness is bit too sickly sweet.

Mouth: Carbonation is very low, and the mouth-feel is a bit more watery than I'd like.

Libation: I really hoped for something great here. A reserve beer such as this aged in real chocolate nibs for nearly $15 sounds like recipe for quality. Unfortunately it's just too sweet and not complex enough overall. The product does not live up to the beautiful packaging, nor the price tag. This isn't bad but for a better price there are better Bocks out there and beers that better satisfy a chocolate tooth also.

3.48/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Beautiful big bottle with a scrollworked label. Quite impressive looking.

Pours what appears at fist to be brown but actually is a deep, dark ruby color. A decent head that drops quickly to a ring and island.
Smell is the obvious malt, some chocolate, some peat, some alcohol.
Taste is malty, chooclate,alcohol, peat and smoke. Very well balanced though a little too lightly flavored.
Smooth, creamy, toasty, somewhat chewy and warming in the throat. Very nice but expected more than I received.

3.57/5  rDev -1.4%

750 mL bottle tried 3 Jun 2009.

Poured in a 0.4 L stein. Huge foamy khaki colored head. Moderate carbonation. Dark reddish brown in color. Aromas of cocoa and dark sweet malt. Starts quite chocolaty, very sweet, lots of cocoa. Mouthfeel of chocolate milk. Chocolate dominates throughout, milk to semi sweet. A faint bit of coffee in the finish and aftertaste. Ethanol is barely noticeable.

Interesting to try but would probably not get this one again. Rather pricey.

2.73/5  rDev -24.6%

I was surprised Samuel Adams came out with so much hype about this beer, it isn't that amazing. Along with the Utopias, I am again, unimpressed by Samuel Adams, and their specialty beers. I am a keen fan of almost every Samuel Adams line there is besides, their specialty lines such as this one. This beer, the Chocolate Bock, looks awesome, it's ominous, and intriguing. Even up to the point that you our it into a glass of some sort, this beverage looks amazing. But it was the taste that threw me off. I got an essence of chocolate no doubt, but there was layers of thick flavor that could have done without. While I did finish the beer, I was highly unimpressed. While, I won't say it's my worst beer I ever had, it's the worst beer I have had from Samuel Adams.

3.82/5  rDev +5.5%

Pours a dark brown color. 1/4 inch head of a pale tan color. Decent retention and good lacing. Smells of chocolate up front, then slight roasted malt, sweet malt, and yeast in the finish. Fits the style of a Bock. Mouth feel is smooth and crisp with an average carbonation level. Tastes of chocolate, yeast, slight roasted malt, and sweet malt. Overall, the body improves as it warms, but then the chocolate becomes overpoweringly sweet.

4.2/5  rDev +16%

Poured from a 750 ml bottle into an imperial pilsener.

A: Dark brown. 2 finger foamy, brownish-white head. Settles slowly leaving sticky spiderweb remnants as it does. More spotty lacing remains as you drink.

S: Dark roasted coffee malt. Dark, bittersweet chocolate. A little oaky.

T: Roasted, smoky malt. bittersweet chocolate. Nuts. a little butterscotch.

M: Heavy, full, and hearty. At the same time it has a carbonated feel. Slightly bittersweet aftertaste.

D: This is a great sipping beer.

Great atmosphere. deep dark pristine appearance. Full hearty nose. Flavor is a great balance of deep dark malt and bittersweet chocolate. Overall, this is a great quaff.

3.8/5  rDev +5%

poured into Sam Adams Boston lager perfect pint.

A: pours jet black, with think light brown half finger head.
S: nutty, chocolate, sweet
T: chocolate and nutty, light sweetness, hops are earthy
M: light carbonation, lighter in the mouth than other chocolate brews i have had.
D: easy to drink, nice sipper

2.93/5  rDev -19.1%

Appearance: Poured a dark brown, when held up to the light a nice red color is seen. A tall tan head hangs on just for a few seconds and leaves little trace.

Smell: Nothing very strong, Roasted/burnt chocolate, that is all. Simple but nice.

Taste: Roasted malts, Little chocolate, touch of vanilla, and a slight bitter taste at the end, which seemed out of place.

Feel: Very light, water-like, but smooth. Little carbonation.

Drink: Not so sure I want to finish this bottle off. Had my fill in just one glass.

Overall: To be honest I bought this because of the bottle, looks nice. But I will not buy this again. Much better beer to be had for the price (about 15.00).

3.45/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Out of a capped 750ml bottle and into my Selin's Grove wine glass. Appears the color of a glass of coke with a finger of tan head to match. Nose and flavors are of chocolate tootsie pops/tootsie rolls, raisins, cocoa powder, slightly sour, decent amount of sweet malt. Body is quite thin with ample carbonation. Overall pretty tasty, but this is both overpriced and over packaged for what it is.

3.88/5  rDev +7.2%

I want to start by saying that this was not what I was expecting in a good way.

Aroma: It smells of grain. There is more of a bock than a chocolate aroma.

Appearance: It is not your average chocolate beer it is nowhere near as overwhelming as other chocolate beers. It has great bock flavor with an easy coco aftertaste.

Tastes: This beers body very opaque and it has a great brown head. The lace is pretty loose.

Mouthfeel: Warming even though it 5.5%.

Drinkability: It has good evening or desert quality to it.

3.7/5  rDev +2.2%

Pours a very dark brown with strong red tints. Decent 1-finger head, but not a lot of retention. Faint, but nice lacing.

Nose is slightly weaker than anticipated, but grows stronger as the glass warms. Malt and cocoa dominate. Slighty sweet combination. Faint roast flavor is there, too.

Much more bock than chocolate on the tongue. Malt sweetness comes out first, with a nice tart finish due to the acid in the chocolate and a small hop presence. Pick up the cocoa at the very end. Not a great combination, but passable.

Feel is about right for the style. Slightly syrupy.

Not a bad drinker, but one is probably enough.

3.53/5  rDev -2.5%

1 pint, 9.4 oz. bottle. Pours a dark brown color with a reddish hue, frothy light brown head, and spots of lacing. Aroma is on the lighter side, sweet malts, a hint of cocoa, and a touch of vanilla. Flavor makes up for the lack of aroma. Sweet and roasted malts, a good amount of milk chocolate, vanilla, and a touch of bitterness. Mouthfeel is on the lighter side of medium, creamy, sets sweet on the tongue. Pretty tasty beer, nice packaging, but just too damn expensive

A- Dark black and inviting. Rich brown foam. Vibrant.

S- Heavenly, instant immersion into chocolate ecstasy. Mild coffee notes.

T- Incredible, not like drinking chocolate milk like I assumed it would be. Rich and decadent, but not overpowering.

M- Creamy, smooth, indulgent.

D- I split a bomber of this with a buddy, but would not have had a problem finishing it myself.

3.09/5  rDev -14.6%

Appearance: Nice dark color that turned almost reddish when held to the light. This did not have a good head at all.
Smell: Nice tangy chocolate aroma to it with a subtle malt compliment.
Taste: Light, not really what i was expecting. The chocolate aftertaste was very nice. I could tell the company went out of its way to get that nice cocoa bean flavor. It felt a little like a chocolate soda to me, which was not the hearty rich beer I wanted.
Mouthfeel: Crisp with a light carbonation.
Drinkability: This went down a lot easier than I thought. I just felt there was a complexity that was missing for the price. I was able to get it for half price, but otherwise it was a stretch for me to get it.

4.53/5  rDev +25.1%

A - dark but held to light very clear. Foam was nice but min lace
S - Malts and the chocolate notes come through
T - Great. Flavoriful but not heavy. The chocolate comes through subtly but clearly. Nice.
M - Maybe its best quality. Smooth, clean finish. Only the nice flavors linger.
D - Awesome

3.6/5  rDev -0.6%

Review from notes taken on 9/11.

Pours a very dark brown with creamy tanned head. Little lacing on the glass. Nose upfront is full of chocolate, little bit of malt and hops in the tail end. Taste is chocolate with only a minor bock feel if any to this beer. Smooth dry and warming finish. Slight bisquit/malt taste. Light mouthfeel and low carb level. Some alcohol taste as it warms with a bit of darker chocolate notes.

Samuel Adams Chocolate Bock from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)