Samuel Adams Chocolate Bock - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Chocolate BockSamuel Adams Chocolate Bock

good

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Bock |  5.80% ABV

Beer added by: TinusTime on 11-20-2003

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Chocolate Bock Alström Bros
3.92/5  rDev +8.3%

25oz bottle poured into a chalice.

Pours a very dark black with a small light brown head that fades really quick and leaves no lacing. Nose is malty, a bit sweet, boozy and theres some nice subtle chocolate notes.

Taste is surprisingly a bit boozy for such a low abv. Mouthfeel is also a bit light and watery, otherwise it's great. Nice chocolate after taste that lingers and is very authentic - as it should be with real cocoa. Cool beer that holds up with age, I found it on close out in NY for $8 so worth it for that price point.

3.38/5  rDev -6.6%

Poured from a 1 pt 9.4 fl oz (750ml) bottle into a Dogfish Head signature glass (February 22, 2010). "Enjoy Before April 2009" is printed on the rear label, apparently a bit old.

A very nice metallic label graces the bottle, hopefully a similar amount of quality went into the beer as the packaging.

Eyes: Very dark near black, I guess it has some red hues also. A little light does pass through when the glass is help to the light, but hardly any. A small, very fluffy, brownish, half-finger head forms and dissipates fairly quickly. Lacing is minimal.

Nose: Smells only a bit like chocolate, which gets a bit stronger as it warms. A mildly sweet malty aroma is in there also, with a nutty touch.

Tongue: I'm surprised the chocolate taste is so soft. The mini pamphlet that came with the bottle says this was aged in cocoa nibs, but I'm not sure it added to much complexity. Yes there is some chocolate, a hint of vanilla even, but the maltiness is bit too sickly sweet.

Mouth: Carbonation is very low, and the mouth-feel is a bit more watery than I'd like.

Libation: I really hoped for something great here. A reserve beer such as this aged in real chocolate nibs for nearly $15 sounds like recipe for quality. Unfortunately it's just too sweet and not complex enough overall. The product does not live up to the beautiful packaging, nor the price tag. This isn't bad but for a better price there are better Bocks out there and beers that better satisfy a chocolate tooth also.

3.48/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Beautiful big bottle with a scrollworked label. Quite impressive looking.

Pours what appears at fist to be brown but actually is a deep, dark ruby color. A decent head that drops quickly to a ring and island.
Smell is the obvious malt, some chocolate, some peat, some alcohol.
Taste is malty, chooclate,alcohol, peat and smoke. Very well balanced though a little too lightly flavored.
Smooth, creamy, toasty, somewhat chewy and warming in the throat. Very nice but expected more than I received.

3.57/5  rDev -1.4%

750 mL bottle tried 3 Jun 2009.

Poured in a 0.4 L stein. Huge foamy khaki colored head. Moderate carbonation. Dark reddish brown in color. Aromas of cocoa and dark sweet malt. Starts quite chocolaty, very sweet, lots of cocoa. Mouthfeel of chocolate milk. Chocolate dominates throughout, milk to semi sweet. A faint bit of coffee in the finish and aftertaste. Ethanol is barely noticeable.

Interesting to try but would probably not get this one again. Rather pricey.

2.73/5  rDev -24.6%

I was surprised Samuel Adams came out with so much hype about this beer, it isn't that amazing. Along with the Utopias, I am again, unimpressed by Samuel Adams, and their specialty beers. I am a keen fan of almost every Samuel Adams line there is besides, their specialty lines such as this one. This beer, the Chocolate Bock, looks awesome, it's ominous, and intriguing. Even up to the point that you our it into a glass of some sort, this beverage looks amazing. But it was the taste that threw me off. I got an essence of chocolate no doubt, but there was layers of thick flavor that could have done without. While I did finish the beer, I was highly unimpressed. While, I won't say it's my worst beer I ever had, it's the worst beer I have had from Samuel Adams.

3.82/5  rDev +5.5%

Pours a dark brown color. 1/4 inch head of a pale tan color. Decent retention and good lacing. Smells of chocolate up front, then slight roasted malt, sweet malt, and yeast in the finish. Fits the style of a Bock. Mouth feel is smooth and crisp with an average carbonation level. Tastes of chocolate, yeast, slight roasted malt, and sweet malt. Overall, the body improves as it warms, but then the chocolate becomes overpoweringly sweet.

4.2/5  rDev +16%

Poured from a 750 ml bottle into an imperial pilsener.

A: Dark brown. 2 finger foamy, brownish-white head. Settles slowly leaving sticky spiderweb remnants as it does. More spotty lacing remains as you drink.

S: Dark roasted coffee malt. Dark, bittersweet chocolate. A little oaky.

T: Roasted, smoky malt. bittersweet chocolate. Nuts. a little butterscotch.

M: Heavy, full, and hearty. At the same time it has a carbonated feel. Slightly bittersweet aftertaste.

D: This is a great sipping beer.

Great atmosphere. deep dark pristine appearance. Full hearty nose. Flavor is a great balance of deep dark malt and bittersweet chocolate. Overall, this is a great quaff.

3.8/5  rDev +5%

poured into Sam Adams Boston lager perfect pint.

A: pours jet black, with think light brown half finger head.
S: nutty, chocolate, sweet
T: chocolate and nutty, light sweetness, hops are earthy
M: light carbonation, lighter in the mouth than other chocolate brews i have had.
D: easy to drink, nice sipper

2.93/5  rDev -19.1%

Appearance: Poured a dark brown, when held up to the light a nice red color is seen. A tall tan head hangs on just for a few seconds and leaves little trace.

Smell: Nothing very strong, Roasted/burnt chocolate, that is all. Simple but nice.

Taste: Roasted malts, Little chocolate, touch of vanilla, and a slight bitter taste at the end, which seemed out of place.

Feel: Very light, water-like, but smooth. Little carbonation.

Drink: Not so sure I want to finish this bottle off. Had my fill in just one glass.

Overall: To be honest I bought this because of the bottle, looks nice. But I will not buy this again. Much better beer to be had for the price (about 15.00).

3.45/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Out of a capped 750ml bottle and into my Selin's Grove wine glass. Appears the color of a glass of coke with a finger of tan head to match. Nose and flavors are of chocolate tootsie pops/tootsie rolls, raisins, cocoa powder, slightly sour, decent amount of sweet malt. Body is quite thin with ample carbonation. Overall pretty tasty, but this is both overpriced and over packaged for what it is.

3.88/5  rDev +7.2%

I want to start by saying that this was not what I was expecting in a good way.

Aroma: It smells of grain. There is more of a bock than a chocolate aroma.

Appearance: It is not your average chocolate beer it is nowhere near as overwhelming as other chocolate beers. It has great bock flavor with an easy coco aftertaste.

Tastes: This beers body very opaque and it has a great brown head. The lace is pretty loose.

Mouthfeel: Warming even though it 5.5%.

Drinkability: It has good evening or desert quality to it.

3.7/5  rDev +2.2%

Pours a very dark brown with strong red tints. Decent 1-finger head, but not a lot of retention. Faint, but nice lacing.

Nose is slightly weaker than anticipated, but grows stronger as the glass warms. Malt and cocoa dominate. Slighty sweet combination. Faint roast flavor is there, too.

Much more bock than chocolate on the tongue. Malt sweetness comes out first, with a nice tart finish due to the acid in the chocolate and a small hop presence. Pick up the cocoa at the very end. Not a great combination, but passable.

Feel is about right for the style. Slightly syrupy.

Not a bad drinker, but one is probably enough.

3.53/5  rDev -2.5%

1 pint, 9.4 oz. bottle. Pours a dark brown color with a reddish hue, frothy light brown head, and spots of lacing. Aroma is on the lighter side, sweet malts, a hint of cocoa, and a touch of vanilla. Flavor makes up for the lack of aroma. Sweet and roasted malts, a good amount of milk chocolate, vanilla, and a touch of bitterness. Mouthfeel is on the lighter side of medium, creamy, sets sweet on the tongue. Pretty tasty beer, nice packaging, but just too damn expensive

A- Dark black and inviting. Rich brown foam. Vibrant.

S- Heavenly, instant immersion into chocolate ecstasy. Mild coffee notes.

T- Incredible, not like drinking chocolate milk like I assumed it would be. Rich and decadent, but not overpowering.

M- Creamy, smooth, indulgent.

D- I split a bomber of this with a buddy, but would not have had a problem finishing it myself.

3.09/5  rDev -14.6%

Appearance: Nice dark color that turned almost reddish when held to the light. This did not have a good head at all.
Smell: Nice tangy chocolate aroma to it with a subtle malt compliment.
Taste: Light, not really what i was expecting. The chocolate aftertaste was very nice. I could tell the company went out of its way to get that nice cocoa bean flavor. It felt a little like a chocolate soda to me, which was not the hearty rich beer I wanted.
Mouthfeel: Crisp with a light carbonation.
Drinkability: This went down a lot easier than I thought. I just felt there was a complexity that was missing for the price. I was able to get it for half price, but otherwise it was a stretch for me to get it.

4.53/5  rDev +25.1%

A - dark but held to light very clear. Foam was nice but min lace
S - Malts and the chocolate notes come through
T - Great. Flavoriful but not heavy. The chocolate comes through subtly but clearly. Nice.
M - Maybe its best quality. Smooth, clean finish. Only the nice flavors linger.
D - Awesome

3.6/5  rDev -0.6%

Review from notes taken on 9/11.

Pours a very dark brown with creamy tanned head. Little lacing on the glass. Nose upfront is full of chocolate, little bit of malt and hops in the tail end. Taste is chocolate with only a minor bock feel if any to this beer. Smooth dry and warming finish. Slight bisquit/malt taste. Light mouthfeel and low carb level. Some alcohol taste as it warms with a bit of darker chocolate notes.

3.61/5  rDev -0.3%

Thanks to my gaming buddy and fellow BA, Chuckhere, for providing this (overpriced) sample.

Poured into two pint glasses, after a short stint in the refrigerator. The beer has a nice 1 inch mocha colored head, which sticks around, a bit, but doesn't leave much in the way of lacing. Color is dark mahogany, or perhaps deep garnet. Red highlights visible on the sides of the glass when holding it up to a light.

The nose was somewhat uninspiring and disappointing. I've had a lot of 'chocolate' brews, and this one was pretty 'light in the loafers', when it comes to chocolate aroma. What aromas there were gave the impression of a regular bock, with a hint of cocoa powder.

The taste is more chocolatey, especially as you let it warm. I'm not sure I could equate it with high qality chocolate nibs ... more like the flavor of a warm glass of cocoa on a cold day. No hop presence, or alcohol warming. The mouthfeel is medium at best, and definitely not up to what I was expecting. The brew is very silky smooth, and as an after dinner dessert drink, it would hold its own well. As for drinkability, this is pretty much a one-shot, end of the day/session brew for me; a nice night-cap. Even though its at session brew alcohol levels, the sweetness would be too much for more than one quaff. Besides, at $15/bottle, you'd have to be living the 'high life' to afford this more than once a year, as a nice treat.

Bottom line, a nice after dinner brew, which most will enjoy. Find a good friend to split the bottle with, and celebrate some special occasion with it.

Na Zdravje!

3.95/5  rDev +9.1%

Poured into a Sam Adams Perfect Pint glass. Pours a brown/amber color that comes out about as light a brown as it can possibly be without being red when held up to the light. The head is a chocolate moose or nougat color with some lacing to it that goes away after a bit. While your drinking it I'd say it's better than average, but when finished the glass only has little splotches of lacing. The smell is good, but not quite as chocolaty as I expected. Really more of a cocoa or nestle' quick type mix, it's really not very strong. I enjoyed the taste. Again, not quite as chocolaty as I expected, but there was a chocolate taste that was present throughout. There is a coco taste present but also some bitter chocolate for the aftertaste. Also some roasted malt taste very present. I find that in many bock style beers the alcohol taste can be strong, but not in this one. I found the mouthfeel to be very good on this, it's better as it warms up, but not bad cold either. I find it very light bodied which is rare for any chocolate style beer that I've ever tried. There was absolutely no carbonation or alcohol bite to this at all. I also found this beer incredibly drinkable cold and when it warms up a bit. It was a bit pricey though so I don't know if I'll ever get it again. I'll most likely save the bottle, it's cool looking.

4.7/5  rDev +29.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The 2nd to last bottle remaining from the winter 2008 release.

Poured from the 22oz. bottle into a stemmed glass.

The color is a nice dark brown to black with a light brown had with about three fingers two fingers of some really nice looking foam.

The smell is malty with some dark chocolate flavor that is pretty right up front. There is also some slight vanilla aroma.

The taste is pretty creamy, with a nice malty chocolate flavor. Is a bit like Chocolate milk with the warming feeling of alcohol to give a slight bit to the taste. Is pretty tasty even with a little age on it and is better than some chocolate stout I have had.

The feel to this beer is a pleasant medium bodied bock with a pretty light feel with some wisps of alcohol that does tend to make this beer feel heavier at times.

3.65/5  rDev +0.8%

A - Very dark brown...actually I'd say it's black in color...a tan head forms...not very big...pretty fizzy...reminds me of pouring a Coke...some lacing

S - Not huge aromas but notes of chocolate and some dark fruits

T - The chocolate is not as big as I would have expected but it's a nice touch...some coffee flavors are rolling around...the big flavor in this one is the roasted malts...well I would say roasted as much as they were almost burnt...the malts were past the roasted point that I enjoy

M - Medium bodied...but very light as well...smooth and creamy

D - I was surprised with how light this was and the low ABV which help the drinkability...I liked the chocolate presence in this one...but the malts were a little too roasted for me...overall a decent beer that I'm glad I tried

3.68/5  rDev +1.7%

Bought this one awhile back at the Beverage Superstore a 22oz bottle with great packaging.

It poured very dark with red overtones and a nice tan head that died in several minutes. It had a light cocoa aroma but not at all as much as I was expecting with the word Chocolate blazened on the front of the bottle. The taste was mainly that of roasted malt with the chocolate becoming more apparent after it warmed up a bit.

The mouthfeel was mostly light even with the dark appearance and although the drinkability was good I expected more from Sam.

3.75/5  rDev +3.6%

poured from a very fancy bottle with and embossed label. This was also a pretty expensive brew, so lets hope it is good.

A-Dark brown brew with cherry cola highlights when held to the light. Slight tan head that settles rapidly into nothingness. Too bad.

S-Malty, and slightly British...reminds me of Hobgoblin with a wee bit of cocoa in the background. Interesting, but not impressive.

T-Sweet malty start, a whif velvety cocoa, and a sweet finish. The best thing I can say about this is that it is very interesting...Not bad, not good, only so so. It reminds me a bit of SA Holiday Porter with some chocolate thrown in for good measure. This is not as bad as some of the reviews would lead you to believe.

M-Very nice velvety mouthfeel yet slightly on the thin side at the same time.

D-Drinkability? Well...its OK, I't kind of fun, and not a drainpour....I'm glad I tried it, and I give Jim Kudos for trying something different, but I don't think I'll be buying another anytime soon..I mean, sheesh, I can buy 2 750's of Chimay for the price of this...

4.53/5  rDev +25.1%

Had this beer on 8/26/09, a few months after its "best by" date of April 09. I personnally thought that this beer was outstanding. Smooth, clean but flavoriful. Subtle but complex. I am only sorry that I will likely not be able to find more.

A - dark but held to light very clear. Foam was nice but min lace
S - Malts and the chocolate notes come through
M - Maybe its best quality. Smooth, clean finish. Only the nice flavors linger.
D - Awesome

3.91/5  rDev +8%

Samuel Adams Chocolate Bock is a clear dark red lager with a small, dense, yellowish light beige head that leaves good lacing. It has a tart aroma that's a little sweet and chocolaty. It has a smooth medium body with a slick, oily finish. It has a nice, tart bock flavor with plenty of dry, roasty chocolate and a note of vanilla. It's really clean and tasty.

Samuel Adams Chocolate Bock from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)