Samuel Adams Chocolate Bock - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Chocolate BockSamuel Adams Chocolate Bock

good

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Bock |  5.80% ABV

(Beer added by: TinusTime on 11-20-2003)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Chocolate Bock Alström Bros
3.9/5  rDev +7.7%

750 ml bottle with a metallic looking label.

Pours a dark brown with ruby tinges that are present when held up to the light. Nice 1.5 finger head.

Smell is sweet chocolate with some bready/biscuity notes. Taste is semi-sweet chocolate and breadiness, almost like a chocolate muffin, but not as sweet.

Medium mouthfeel with nice carbonation. Drinkability is great. Smooth, enjoyable, and not overpoweringly chocolatey.

Bottom line: Did I enjoy this beer? Yes. Is it worth the $14 I paid for it? Probably not. It's worth a try, but I say split a bottle with some friends.

daythree16, Jan 01, 2009
3.78/5  rDev +4.4%

Samuel Adams Chocolate Bock

Pours a nice rich dark brown, with a solid thick white head that falls to a halo of lace relatively quick. You can tell this is thick.

Smell is dominated by chocolate, with some floral backings.

Taste reminds me a lot of snickers, or fudge, or chocolate marble slab ice cream. Intensely chocolaty with notes of roasted malts, cream, slight vanilla, cocoa powder, and sugar. Some small notes of citrus/floral twang near the finish.

This is a delicious desert beer. Really intense chocolate flavors make this one hell of a night cap. Pretty straight forward, not very complex. Still quite drinkable, and recommended to at least try once.

HoustonTX, Jan 01, 2009
2.95/5  rDev -18.5%

Wow, a very rich flavored beer. Like a big glass of molasses. This thing is thick. Poured from the specialty bottle into a pint glass.
A - Very, very dark brown / black in appearance. A ½ inch medium brown head forms and falls in a few minutes to a swirly mass on top the beer.
S - A moderately strong roasty molasses like smell.
T - Tastes similar to a standard double bock in the beginning but sits heavier in the mouth. The chocolate note comes in as the finish. Roasted malt overtones.
M - Thick, slick, and heavy, low carbonation.

This was a good beer but just not as exciting as I had hoped.

TheEclecticGent, Dec 31, 2008
3.9/5  rDev +7.7%

On-tap at Sunset for $6. Rather than pay an extra $10 for packaging, I think I'll try this one here. Tulip or goblet...I forget which and forgot to include it in my notes. My bad...I think maybe a goblet...

Nice carbonation rising from espresso-dahhhk body. Thin latte-colored head comes and goes quickly though.

Surprisingly enough this really doesn't smell like much of anything...a little chocolate and coffee with malt but very light.

Nice chocolate texture but body is a little clammy. Body is very light...good lightly roasted chocolate malt. Slight hop texture of grass.

As this warms I start to enjoy it more...sort of an iced hot chocolate. Good texture and pleasant clean lager finish when considering weight class.

This'll play nicely, but again, it's easier to pay $6 on draft than $16 in a bottle...

IBUnit63, Dec 31, 2008
3.65/5  rDev +0.8%

Appearance: A thick oily almost black pour.The head was two finger and very foamy. The tan head dissipated very quickly leaving a tan ring around the glass. The clarity of the beer is very opaque.

Nose: A dark complex roasted malt with chocolate, toffee, coffee, and phenols. There notes of citrus, esters, and dark fruit.

Taste A rich seem simple roasted malt with chocolate, toffee, coffee, vanilla, and molasses. There hints of citrus, raisins, and phenols.

The beer is good, I don't think it qualifies for greatness. The Beer seems simple unlike a good German bock. The mouth feel is creamy with a slight warming of the mouth. The finish is there but it isn't bitter. I was hoping for more from Sam Adams, since this is suppose to be an unique beer and different. I didn't think so.

colts9016, Dec 31, 2008
3.23/5  rDev -10.8%

pours a really luxurious chocolate brown with a relatively thin, too fizzy head. fair retention, lacing.
smells pretty darned good, a nice malty top with yeast and sweetness. not much chocolate registers at all in the nose, just adds a kind of darker dimension to the expected malty sweetness.
taste is a little less exciting. a lot less roasted malt flavors than I would like to expect. very mild yeast and bread flavor, chocolate comes on strong, but, like the nose, its not overpowering.
feels way too thin, its gone before you can finish tasting it.
however it could be a great easy drinking wintertime beer, if I didnt pay 16 dollars for the bottle. the price definitely lowers the drinkability.

JoshuaCain, Dec 31, 2008
2.9/5  rDev -19.9%

A: Pours a deep ruby colored brown. About a finger of white head with some spotty lacing.

S: The weird thing is chocolate is not the most dominant smell. It is more of a sweet malt with some chocolate in the back. You can smell the lager yeast as well.

T: A ton of sweetness up front. The chocolate is really subdued. More in the aftertaste than anything else.

M: Medium body with nothing going for or against it. Good for the style.

D: Price must rank in here. This is a pedestrian beer going for world class beer money. I don't know if my taste have just progressed that much but I remember this being better. The beer geeks must have this and I think that is what Sam was counting on. I would have to say pass on this one and get something else. I have a feeling these bottles are going to be on the shelves for years.

aerozeppl, Dec 30, 2008
3.13/5  rDev -13.5%

Opened on xmas eve. Poured somewhat dark brown in color with a tan head that quickly faded. Little lacing is left when drinking. Aroma is cocoa, a little sweet aroma too, nothing much there. Taste is lite, a hint of cocoa is present, not real malty either. This beer isn't heavy at all, so drinking a few of these with your buddies will be no problem. Disappointed somewhat, being i am a huge fan of SA. I paid $13.49 for a bottle and for that I expected a stronger beer with a higher abv.

beernut, Dec 30, 2008
3.85/5  rDev +6.4%

I purchased this at Quick 6 in York, split the 750ml w/ octopus87 into two siedels.

A - A chestnut brown/ruby hued lager w/ a quick rising and settling whipped up beige head of two fingers that settles to about a thumbnails height

S - Malty w/ pronounced sweet and cocoa buttery scent w/ a toffee-like rich and nutty aroma. There is a vanilla floral element which is both mildly fruity w/ a light banana note

M - Full carbonation, sweet maltiness whcih giveas a slightly fuller than average feel-almost candy-like w/ a residual sugar and silky mild fruit tanginess like european cocoa

T - The flavor of the bock is very delicate w/ a creamy cocoa and fruity yeast cohesion. There is light bavarian lager yeast twinge and a hint of caramel in the malt. The cocoa fruity and nutty taste hits at the end of the taste. The flavor reminds of a chocolate covered biscuit cookie w/ malty foundation and a nice smooth creamy blend of chocolate and lager which is better than I expected - I suppose that may have to do with the yeast and lagering time

D - I was surprised how drinkable this beer is. It doesn't seem like a 'dessert' beer to me, it really is easy to quaff and the moderate strength allows for multiple servings. I could certainly enjoy more than a glass -I consider this a pretty decent bock w/ the bonus of the Swiss cocoa

Slatetank, Dec 30, 2008
3.75/5  rDev +3.6%

Pours black with some ruby highlighs and a light head that quickly fades. Smells light and tangy with a nice chocolate aroma- mostly cocoa. There are also some malty bock notes on the finish. Very gentle in the mouth, with nice flavors from the chocolate and the lager yeast. Very mellow, with a milk chocolate creaminess and flavor. Extremely smooth, and quite nice, but not the most exciting beer in the world. I'd like to see some more bitterness in the chocolate here. Still, very mellow and drinkable with some satisfying.

Georgiabeer, Dec 30, 2008
3.23/5  rDev -10.8%

Beige head, pretty light and fluffy, and a bit on the large-fizzy-bubble side. Retention is okay.

The aroma has a nice powerful scent of chocolate, with some hints of roast and patent style malt. I'd like a little more.

The flavor is pretty wan and boring, not much in the chocolate department here, but definitely sweet and moderately roasted.

Thin body, doesn't pop in the mouth like it ought to and it isn't very chunky or lagered like a good bock.

This is not a good Sam Adams beer.

BretSikkink, Dec 30, 2008
3.13/5  rDev -13.5%

Saved this one for xmas with the fam.

Large, beige snowdrift head with good retention. Dark brown liquid with ruby highlights.

Smells like ovaltine.

Very sugary. Tastes like nestle quick mixed with a little butterscotch. Smooth and frothy mouthfeel despite being a little thin. Too sugary to drink a full bottle by myself, I'm glad I had the fam to help me with this one.

Good, but not $16 good.

donkeyrunner, Dec 29, 2008
3.88/5  rDev +7.2%

This beer poured a very dark brown color with nice thick fluffy brown head that hung around a while. Aroma was choclatey, with some roasted malts, and a little fruit. Flavor was pretty much the same. Mouthfeel was thinner than I expected, but I have to remember this is a bock and not a stout. Drinkability was very high on this as the flavor combined with the 5.6%abv made this an easy drinker.

biggmike, Dec 29, 2008

Got a pint of this from the Cloverleaf Tavern in West Caldwell, NJ.

A: Pours A dark brown body with a light tan head that was fairly thick (at least two fingers) that reduced later on but had pretty solid retention and lacing.

S: A slight chocolate smell with an additional wininess to the beer that seemed a bit off and surprising; I was expecting more of a malt smell to it.

T: A sweet, chocolate taste with a sweet, coffee and chocolate malt aftertaste. The beer itself reminded me of a chocolate Tootsie Pop.

M: A medium-bodied beer that was also velvety smooth and very nice on the palette.

D: An excellent mouthfeel and taste combination. While the beer itself was fairly sweet, it turned out to be very good. I was concerned about it possibly maintaining style, but the maltiness made itself more evident towards the end of the beer. A good drinking beer overall.

maddogruss, Dec 28, 2008
3.5/5  rDev -3.3%

* Purchased at Martin Wine Cellar in Metairie for $14.75.

Appearance: This beer poured a dark, black with a nice fluffy tan head.

Smell: More cocoa-ish than chocolate. Some roasted malts. Not much else going on.

Taste: Small hints of cocoa. Lots of roasted malt flavors with hints of fruits. Again, as in the aroma not a whole lot going on.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with medium carbonation.

Overall: Overall not a bad beer but certainly not worth the $14.75 I paid for it either. The beer was an average beer at an above average price.

Beerbuddha, Dec 28, 2008
3.3/5  rDev -8.8%

Had a taste of this once somewhat recently on tap and back then I thought it was good. I had to try it now and give it a full review now that my tastes have matured some

A - Really dark and off white head. not a coffee off-white, but an almost orange/brown off-white which quickly settled.

S - kinda hard to find when first taken out of the fridge. Milk chocolate and caramel sweetness. Not so bitter. More like candy bar chocolate rather than the chocolate in ST Chocolat

T - sweet simple milk chocolate. More than what you could find in the smell. most good chocolate taste in the aftertaste.

M - light, but more towards medium. Not too much carbonation. it's about right for a bock.

D - Easy to drink, but PITA in the wallet. If it wasn't so much a bottle, I'd really enjoy drinking this. Taste is simple and ABV is easy too.

Tolann, Dec 28, 2008

750 mL bottle, recieved 2 as a Christmas present,

A: Pours brown with an overly fizzy off-white head, poor retention, though impressice at first sight.

S: Hints of cocoa powder, light acidity, dark malt, a pleasant smell.

T: Tastes a lot like a typical porter on first sip, with a lightly sour bite. Cocoa becomes quite evident on the aftertaste, but at no point does it take over the beer.

M: Light, relatively smooth, fizzy carbonation.

D: Very good drinkability due to its lightness, a tasty beer to drink. I don't think I'll buy it at $15, but it was fun to try, if the bottle was in the $5-6 range I'm sure I'd go for it again.

Halcyondays, Dec 28, 2008
3.5/5  rDev -3.3%

A-A murky medium brown with amber highlights.

S-Malty with some hints of cocoa and honey.

T-A little bland really. Some roasted and caramel malts, a bit of honey.

M-A little thin, I think, even allowing for the low ABV.

D-It's alright but not all that exciting.

This is one overpriced beer.

HV

sholland119, Dec 27, 2008

This poured a dark ruby color with tan head. It smelled like roasted barley and bitter chocolate malt, with copper hops an sweet yeast, with a hint of honey. It tasted like semi-sweet chocolate with roasted barley, copper hops, and some floury yeast. As it warmed, the flavor opened up with more pronounced sweetness. It was watery with some carbonation, and had a mild bittersweet aftertaste. Overall this was a simple but nicely constructed beer. It had a nice flavor that was very clean and easy to drink. The body was fitting for the style, too. I found myself wishing it was heavier as an imperial stout, but that's just my personal preference. All in all, definitely overpriced, but fun to try once.

Pencible, Dec 27, 2008
3.88/5  rDev +7.2%

I will start this out by saying after reading the other postings about this I believe I got a flat beer.Poured from a 750 mL bottle into a pint glass. Look is black equivalent to cola. A off white heading with brown swirls. Settled very quickly and looked very flat. Immediatley smelled cocoa, kind of overpowering. The taste isn't that much different then that of the smell. A very flat cocoa taste a coffee lover's dream. No lacing whatsoever. I would like to try this one again as I said before I believe I got a very flat beer.

TheFightfan1, Dec 26, 2008
4.5/5  rDev +24.3%

APPEARANCE:
Pours an opaque black color with a off white head that dissipates slowly. A little bit of lacing.
SMELL:
Malt and chocolate.
TASTE:
An incredibly smooth beer. Almost like drinking chocolate milk. Nice balance of malt, chocolate and a hint of bitterness.
MOUTHFEEL
Full bodied, creamy beer with light carbonation.
DRINKABILITY:
Goes down exceptionally easy. Not too sweet, not to bitter. You need to be in the mood for this beer. Because it is more like a light chocolate shake than a bock. I happen to be enjoying this on Christmas Day and it is perfect for the occasion.

seanbhudson, Dec 26, 2008
4.33/5  rDev +19.6%

750mL bottle with best before date of April 2009...

Pours a dark, nearly opaque color with a very light tan head that lasted throughout and left a good deal of lacing.

Smell and taste were overwhelmingly...get this...chocolate. Slight notes of honey also in the background. I could really feel the sweetness in this one and the flavor and aroma really come to life as the beer warms up just slightly. If you're a hophead you'll probably be disappointed but if you can sit for a dessert beer, it definitely has a taste that can be savored. Goes down easy and I could honestly see myself drinking this all night...assuming I could get some for less than $14.75 a bottle of course.

Tried this one with a friend who is relatively new to micros and this was definitely to his liking. By that respect it seems like a great transition beer...different enough to open your eyes to the world of better beer without being overwhelming. But I can see how veteran BAs may be turned off by Sam's attempt at a beer that is more over the top than their traditional offerings. Now IMO, being that this is a limited release, it is worth a try at least once if you can find it, but at that price I would expect it to be a little better than it was. Luckily I had some friends to go in with me on this one or I doubt I would have picked it up.

Vengeance526, Dec 25, 2008
3.48/5  rDev -3.9%

Good, not great. Sort of confusing.

I don't think bock is really the style to be going all-out chocolate on, in the first place. The bottle cost me $15, and I was left with a beer that seemed like a very odd fit.

The chocolate is indeed there. You can smell it and taste it. I think if this were a robust porter or something like that, it might have been delicious. But bocks are already so malty and sweet, it tasted very...odd. Needed some roast backbone to stand up to the chocolate flavors. And for a bomber like this, especially a bock, you'd really be expecting a more robust, higher ABV beer. Why not chocolate doppelbock?

redjameskidd, Dec 24, 2008
4.08/5  rDev +12.7%

A - This beer poured a rich brown color that produced a light tan head that had good retention and laced the glass nicely

S - From the nose on this beer I got malts, hot coco, caramel, and vanilla

T - The taste of this beer was nicely done, a rich malty taste that mixes well with the coco notes, and the vanilla and caramel finishes the palate off nicely

M - The mouthfeel on this beer had a light to moderate body that produced a moderate amount of carbonation

D - I know, this beer is very pricey, but the taste was great, but for a Bock, it felt a little light on the tongue and the price does hurt the drinkablilty, but I think this beer is still worth a try

cvfish, Dec 23, 2008
3.83/5  rDev +5.8%

Poured from a bomber into a goblet.

A - Poured a dark brown with ruby hues. Looked a lot like Coca-Cola. The pour produced a thick head of tan foam that quickly subsided into a thin film with spotty lacing.

S - Malty aroma with hints of alcohol.

T - Malty and sweet with lots of vanilla. Finishes off slightly bitter with hints of bitter chcoclate.

MF&D - Not bad. A little on the sweet side, but still pretty drinkable. I wish this one was a little thicker and a lot less expensive.

nasty15108, Dec 23, 2008
Samuel Adams Chocolate Bock from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)