Samuel Adams Chocolate Bock - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Chocolate BockSamuel Adams Chocolate Bock

good

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Bock |  5.80% ABV

(Beer added by: TinusTime on 11-20-2003)
View: Beers (127) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Chocolate Bock Alström Bros
Damian

4.47/5  rDev +23.1%

Drank from a 1 pt. 9.4 fl. oz. bottle purchased at Connecticut Beverage Mart, New Britain, CT

Poured a pitch black with only hints of mahogany noticeable when held up the light. Nice, foamy two finger mocha head that faded to a thin film. Large patches of lingering lacing trickled down the glass.

Smell was outstanding. Rich and chocolatey, sweet and creamy with strong notes of vanilla and alcohol soaked raisins.

Taste was similar to smell yet not quite as intense. Milk chocolate came through strong with an intense malty richness and some brown sugar. Deep, roasted malts were also noticeable. A touch of hops in the finish helped to create some semblance of balance in this otherwise overwhelmingly sweet and malty brew. As the beer warmed dark fruits become apparent as well. Pleasant mocha aftertaste.

Mouthfeel was creamy and smooth yet a bit thinner than expected.

Drinkability was terrific. This beer tasted (and went down) like candy.

11-03-2006 03:04:07 | More by Damian
bark

Sweden

3.93/5  rDev +8.3%

The colour is black, the liquid is clear. The head is low and deep beige.

The smell got a distinct sweet flavour of milk chocolate.

The taste is also loaded with sweet chocolate. There is a touch of dry bitterness and a mild bitterness. The aftertaste got dry notes of cocoa and cooked fish (!). The body is quite low.

The mouthfeel is dry; the carbonation is low with medium sized bubbles.

A beer instead of a dessert? Yes!

10-29-2006 18:25:35 | More by bark
Umbra

4.05/5  rDev +11.6%

Romantically first sampled this on tap at the brewery tour finale, and have since had it in bottle around the fine Valentine holiday.

I only was able to try a pitcher of the beer at first, fresh off the tap. It is dark and rich in color. The smell off the glass is all chocolate. It went down smooth and was easier to drink than chocolate milk.

The first flavor explosion was chocolate. There is a hint of vanilla and coffee lingering on the tongue along with...more chocolate. I think it is a perfect compliment to a Valentine’s Day gift and/or something for a chocoholic. Liquid fudge w/ alcohol goodness, why it's the best of both worlds.

Much better on tap than aged in the bottle, but I have been remiss to see it anywhere but Jamaica Plains on the tap. Appears to sell well either way. Future plans with this would surround some kind of tasty dessert.

10-20-2006 18:26:34 | More by Umbra
badbeer

Iowa

2.28/5  rDev -37.2%

Dark brown with a creamy brown head, little lacing. Strong powdered cocoa smell, but wasn't very impressive to me. Taste tasted like chalky powdered cocoa; someone else mentioned floury and a bit buttery, I'd have to agree. Light bodied, highly carbonated, pretty much the opposite of what I think would have paired good with this. Drinkability is low as I didn't even finish my portion of my glass. Glad the bottle was shared, would have been upset to have paid all 16 bucks to pour the rest down the drain. Overall, I think this might be right up some people's alley, so don't let my dislike discourage you. Probably worth a try, but I won't be buying it again. A not so good beer from a normally solid brewery.

10-04-2006 04:32:23 | More by badbeer
MSchae1017

Georgia

4.03/5  rDev +11%

I am re-reviewing this beer because my previous review was written in January 2006 when the beer said to drink by May 2006. This beer came into my possession this summer from my girlfriend's mother who's husband would never drink it. As it turns out, this beer should have been drank by May 2005. I wondered if this would have gone bad or have aged. At 5.6% abv, I wasnt expecting much.

I tasted it again in a stange from a 750mL bottle.

The beer pours a clear brownish-black tinted all over with amber as the light hits it. The head is tan, quite fluffy with tight bubbles on the side the the glass. The head is rather large and leaves a good bit of lace as it decends down the glass. The smell is of roasted malts and chocolate. Not a bad nose, but pretty straight forward with those characteristics. Not overly complex. The taste also hits you first with the roasted characteristic but it seems with time (going by my previous review when my palate was less developed) that the chocolate flavor has been subdued. Additionally there is more of a traditional "bock" flavor to the beer. The taste is not necessarily better but it is different. The mouthfeel gives a decent body and nice carbonation, pretty good here. Overall, I think I actually enjoy this more with a bit of time on it. A pretty good beer and not a bad bock if you ask me. As a fresh beer though I am begining to think it is a bit more of a Munich Dunkel Lager though. This one also got a good bit better once it warmed

09-28-2006 05:31:16 | More by MSchae1017
Budlum

3.3/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours with large amounts of creamy, brown head slowly subsiding to a blanket on top of the beer. Deep brown body with garnet hues when held to light. Nice head retention throughout the drink.

Attempting to gather data by smell can be an exercise in futility with this beer. Do not serve cold as any aromas are almost non-existent. After warming, there is a luxurious chocolate smell. Predictably, the only real smell is sweet chocolate with a sweet lactose sugar punch.

The mouth is invaded with a rush of chocolate flavors. The chocolate taste is that of very high quality chocolates. Belgian or Romanian maybe? The are some sweet, malty qualities but nothing that screams bock. Hop presence is notable and it provides a touch of bitterness to balance what could be an overly sweet beer. Long, sweet finish with delicious chocolate, vanilla and lactose sugars similar to a milk stout.

Mouthfeel is viscous, creamy and very luxurious. The consistency of this beer is it's best quality. This brew is a pleasure to sip over a long period of time.

Drinkability is average at best. In short, this beer is very sweet and far too one-sided. Eight ounces would likely be an ideal serving. This would be ideal if split amongst four with a mild dessert.

Short take:
-Holy chocolate.
-Why so damn expensive?
-Why a 750 mL instead of say, eight ounces?
-Why must Jim Koch pick on bocks?
-Thanks Jim Koch!

09-19-2006 01:13:21 | More by Budlum
arizcards

Arizona

3.58/5  rDev -1.4%

I picked up two 750 ml bottles from my local supermarket for $3.00 each last September. Looks like I scored a coup if this is still good. I had one Christmas 2005 and it was pretty decent. I have been a little reluctant to crack the 2nd one since the freshness expiriation was March 2005. Here we go...
The beer poured opaque black with a good long lasting tan head. Nose was initially strong of cocoa but is now a hint of sweet chocolate and the malts. Taste is pretty much in your face cocoa malts with a slight hop finish. Mouthfeel is surprisingly smooth and creamy when swirled. Drinkability is pretty good. This is definitely for chocolate lovers but personally it would be better if the cocoa was given a bit of a reduced role in the recipe. I am surprised the beer has held up and it is enjoyable.

09-01-2006 22:10:04 | More by arizcards
eballard

Washington

3.6/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

The beer pours a dark brown color with a medium creamy head. A rich chocolaty malt smell. A strong chocolaty flavor that is sweet and clean. The beer has a smooth creamy feel with a nice finish. This is a strong beer and was not meant to be drunk fast. I would recommend trying it if you can find a bottle. Have it on a relaxed afternoon and drink it slow.

09-01-2006 19:10:37 | More by eballard
weeare138

3.95/5  rDev +8.8%

Best Before May, 2006...
Appears a dark, black-toned brown with some red hued edges when held up to the light. A 2 finger tan head that slowly fades outs. Scattered spots and streaks are left around the glass.
Smell is of cocoa nibs, cream, vanilla, caramel, brown sugar, and Kahlua.
Taste is of the same aromas in a blend that is solid but not blowing me away for the $18 I paid for this earlier in the year.
Mouthfeel is chewy, smooth, medium bodied, sweet but not sticky, or cloying.
Drinkability...Deliciously smooth with a touch of sweet chocolate and a delicate caramelized malt. It is a bock but I'm stuck on where this stands overall. I was expecting a fine, after dinner treat and I guess that's where it would fall but it falls just short of greatness. In short, this could be done better. It almost reminded me of the base of the Kuhnhenn Raspberry Eisbock with much less complexity and no raspberry. Perhaps try a test batch of this with an upped abv, lager/freeze for a Chocolate Eisbock. Now that sounds appealing, no?

08-31-2006 15:07:08 | More by weeare138
SkeeterHawk

4.08/5  rDev +12.4%

New review of a fresh example. Thanks again, Robb, for looking out for me.

Appearance: The beer poured a really deep dark garnet color that I thought was hazy at first, but it was later evident that it was because of a bunch of bubbles rising. The head fell within a minute or so, but stayed a persistent layer across the top of the beer for some time.

Aroma: The aroma is dominated by the chocolate. It has a bit of sweet caramel malt there to give it some extra girth. There is a slight fruity thing going on to give it an aroma that is more like a piece of chocolate candy.

Taste: The flavor is also dominated by chocolate and it gives it a dry edge at the beginning of the profile. There is quite a bit of body to this beer and the chocolate gives it more of a silky edge in the finish. The finish also has a bit of a fruity edge to it as well as some bitterness that I believe is from the dark malts.

Opinion: Even though this beer is really drinkable, I almost wish that it would have a bit more body in the finish. The chocolate is a bit too strong for the supporting flavors that it gets. Still this is a nice beer to drink if it was more reasonably priced. Nice bottle, but it is a bit over presented for the beer that it actually is.

07-24-2006 23:50:01 | More by SkeeterHawk
SilentSabre

North Dakota

3.88/5  rDev +6.9%

Not bad. Not as disappointing as some reviews would lead me to believe, and not a shining star like I thought this was going to be when it was first released. Poured a dark reddish brown colour that barely let any light pass. Had a light tan foamy head that subsided to a 2mm haze in about 60 seconds. The smell is astonishingly chocolate. To me, anyway. It is also important for me to mention that the date on this bottle is March 2005. At 5.6%, I wouldn't think this would really be palatable after a year and change. Not to mention I got this from a guy I know who works for Sam Adams who has had these since they came out. I have no idea how he stored them. Anyway, it seems to taste fine. The smell, like I said, is mad with milk chocolate; the taste, not so much. When you first take a sip, there's a brief moment where the chocolate is immediately identifiable and fairly strong. Then, just as quickly as it came, it's gone and you're left with some roasted malt and a few flavour profiles I cannot readily identify. The mouthfeel seems thin for what this is supposed to be. It is, however, pretty smooth and drinkable. Overall, I thought this was pretty good, but I am really, really glad that I had someone kind enough to give me a bottle and I didn't spend $16 on this. I might have been a bit irritated otherwise.

07-17-2006 22:32:54 | More by SilentSabre
Erdinger2003

Iowa

2.28/5  rDev -37.2%

Light brown head that's foamy and falls quick, the color is dark, but lets light through in a brown color. The lacing is weak.

Smell is milk chocolate sweet and it also has traces of black fruit.

It has a slight wateryness with a big plum and prune juice flavor with a slight backround of chocolate if you work hard to find it.

Mouthfeel is well carbonated and slightly smooth.

This was a $16 letdown.

07-11-2006 05:08:39 | More by Erdinger2003
Enola

3.9/5  rDev +7.4%

This beer poured with a fair amount of head. It is a deep brown. There is a little lacing. The smell is slightly sour but this does not show up in the taste. The chocolate shows up well in the taste. There are also notes of brown sugar and caramel. The mouthfeel is smooth. An easy drinking beer. I could drink this beer again. A good representation of the style.

07-11-2006 01:36:54 | More by Enola
Abita45

Pours with a nice foamy head, but it dissipated pretty quickly and left some lacing on the glass. A deep brown color which gives way to a ruby color when looked at in the light.

There's a sweet smell that only gives a faint chocolate smell. In terms of taste, it is not nearly as sweet as I anticipated, and in fact, I find this to be a good thing. Going in, I anticipated the chocolate to be more pronounced, but it is a tribute to the brewers that they brewed a good beer and not merely a flavor gimmick.

There is a sweet aftertaste that features the chocolate overtones a little more strongly. Overall, there's a nice roasted maltiness to the beer, and it drinks smoothly. I'm impressed by the subtly of the beer.

It was pretty expensive for only producing two pints worth, so that might keep me from going after it again (at least in Pennsylvania). Also, I think I would enjoy this beer much more in cool weather than on a warm July night.

07-03-2006 17:35:47 | More by Abita45
sullysbeer

2.98/5  rDev -17.9%

Aroma: Sweet Malty Chocolate Hershey's Bar, Marshmallow.

Appearance: Deep Dark Brown with a Slight Rubiness. Tan Head that Drops into the Beer but rings the glass.

Flavor: Chocolate Marshmallow Cocoa Puff is how I would describe the initial part of the sip, dry's up in the middle and finishes with a slightly sweet burnt campfire marshmallow. Slightly metallic.

Mouthfeel: Medium - Full Body beer. Medium Carbonation.

Overall Impression: Well crafted. Definitely not what I expected. I thought it would have been a bit sweeter, but did have some sweetness. A little pricey at $15.99 for a 1 pint 9.4 fl. oz. bottle. The chocolate is more of a cocoa flavor. Put a glass of this in the microwave on high and you have a perfect hot cocoa for the winter. =)

06-21-2006 15:24:37 | More by sullysbeer
AaronHomoya

Indiana

4.22/5  rDev +16.3%

750 mL bottle with impressive metallic emblem on the front.

Appearance is a very dark brown color with good head. The aroma quickly lets you know that this beer is very much a chocolate beverage. A nice, sweet, dark chocolate smell. That taste follows with sweetness, a bit of roasty bitterness and lots of great chocolate flavor. Hard to tell this has much in the way of bock characteristics, or beer at all for that matter. Clean finish. Mouthfeel is nice and smooth. A drinkable beer, but so chocolately it's not really suited for all purposes.

06-12-2006 18:26:05 | More by AaronHomoya
bgraney

4.4/5  rDev +21.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Poured a deep black with foamy cocoa head, nice contrast.
The roasted maltiness dominated the aroma with a hint of chocolate in the background.
Delicious flavor, the maltiness tasted as good as it smelled and the chocolate adds a unique background.
Even without the chocolate the aftertaste would have been excellent but the chocolate adds a little extra.
More drinkable than one would think of the style. I was ready for more.
I saw this at BevMo and thought the price was extreme but decided to try it thinking I would never buy it again just based on cost.
However, I thought it was so good I plan to pick up a couple more bottles for special occasions. I wasn't as overwhelmed by the chocolate as other reviewers. I'm not sure if that relates to chocolate tolerance or to how long the beer as been sitting.
This was one time when I thought the experience lived up to the hype (price).

06-01-2006 14:55:44 | More by bgraney
bearrunner44

2.95/5  rDev -18.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Appearance: Deep brown, with a fizzy brown-sugar colored head.

Smell: Tight barley aroma, somewhat dry, with a heavy dose of cocoa.

Taste: The malt is sweet and a little nutty, but dryer than the average bock. Hopping is very light, and it's mostly detectable in the middle. There's no depth to the hop flavor; it provides a touch of bitterness, but there isn't enough of it for the taste buds to grab on to. Later, the flavor of the malt and hops is mostly swept away by a wash of powdery cocoa flavor. The cocoa itself is pleasant, but this beer just doesn't hang together for me. The hops aren't strong, but they stick in the background just enough to distract from the chocolate. The two flavors don't compliment each other all that well.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, but not substantial or bulky.

Verdict: I'll this under "G," for "gimmick beer that doesn't quite hit the mark, but gives a good effort nonetheless."

05-27-2006 16:44:19 | More by bearrunner44
yelterdow

4.22/5  rDev +16.3%

Served in a Celebrator style bock glass at cellar temperature. Purchased in February, 2006 and enjoyed by the May freshness date indicated on the bottle.

Appearance- For a bockbier, the look of this beer is amazing... from the beautifully structured head that grows from the outset, three fingers with a reverse cascade, to the rich deep color and the lacing's extraordinary staying power. The latte colored foam ebbs and pops down to a thin mat, all the while showing solid character.

Smell- A smooth, cool, very appetizing scent of real chocolate, the kind you get in a boutique chocolate store wrapped in fancy paper and foil. Milky, but not in the sense of milk chocolate... there's just a dairy character about the beer. Smells very fresh, like the cocoa was melted and added just a moment ago. Chocolate malt notes are clearly evident too. Really, really good.

Taste- A chocolate lover's dream beer, and it's totally not cloying. All sweetness is perfectly countered with a mild hop bitterness in the finish, while the malt character rides through the middle and even alongside the hops. The aftertaste is one of amazing balance... chocolate, chocolate malt, hops, burp.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability- The carbonation here is subtle and light, yet the weight seems just perfect. Any heavier, it becomes dessert, rather than accompanying it. I've enjoyed this beer after dinner, and its relatively low ABV keeps it very drinkable with or without food. Highly recommended.

05-24-2006 03:59:14 | More by yelterdow
MuenchenerKindl

Germany

3.38/5  rDev -6.9%

Poured from the big .75L bottle to my small snifter. Head was light and fluffy but smallish. Liquid dark and rich.

Smells of Chocolate with hits of sweet chocolate, dark chocolate and chocolate mit sugar. Oh, the chocolate kinda over powered and malt and hops, I could not get a good hold there. But I do love chocolate. Just not chocolate instead of beer.

Taste is of chocolate, lots of dark chocolate and sweet chocolate. Not much beer here. Sorry Beer lovers, Chocolate lovers live here.

Mouthfeel was good to better. Carbonation and body are nicely balanced

Drinkability is low. This is a desert to be sipped not a beer to drink. If that is your cup O'tea have at it.

This is a fine product, good taste and all just not a beer for me. MK

05-11-2006 04:00:21 | More by MuenchenerKindl
atigerlife

Hawaii

4.22/5  rDev +16.3%

Poured from a 750ml bottle.

Pours a thick, dark brown with reddish highlights. Small creamy light brown head. Nice start.

The aroma was dark chocolate and malts. Sweet toffee also.

The taste was like a chocolate milk shake. Sweet with lots of flavor. This beer didn't mess around with a subtle flavor. Quite nice.

The mouthfeel was medium with light carbonation. Decent cleansing. Creamy.

Overall, I was pleasantly surprised. Very drinkable given the right atmosphere and food. Nice clean taste. The only negative was the price...which was too high and probably inflated due to the fancy packaging. Looks nice, but I would have preferred this a few bucks cheaper.

05-04-2006 05:56:17 | More by atigerlife
ChainGangGuy

Georgia

3.98/5  rDev +9.6%

Appearance: Pours a clear, dark chestnut color, with ruby hues, and topped with a thin, wispy head.

Smell: Remarkable milk chocolate aroma couples nicely with a faint roasted malt scent. It's enough to drive you to drink, I swear.

Taste: Rich chocolate flavors dominate the palate. Roasted malts, floral hops, flavors of cocoa powder, vanilla bean, and a faint nuttiness help to round the brew out. It's a sweet beer, but not exceedingly so.

Mouthfeel: Medium-thin bodied with a gentle, smooth silkiness.

Drinkability: A unique beer and one that's very easy to drink. Why, I could I drink this beer with my face tied behind my shoes.

04-25-2006 20:19:43 | More by ChainGangGuy
HimerMan

4.55/5  rDev +25.3%

Had on tap at the House of Brews 05 batch, and several 2006 bottles.

Truly a wonderful chocolate beer, not for people who don't like chocolate. Brewed and fermented over Scharffen Berger chocolates from California.

Aroma is truly of a chocolate elixir that has absolutely no alcohol taste in the or smell.

The dichotomy of drinkability for this one is that it is one of the best bottles to split with someone while it is one of the best beers to keep all for yourself.

All chocolate flavor, no carbonation - truly a wonderful chocolate bock.

Try this, definitely. Cheers!

04-20-2006 01:56:15 | More by HimerMan
czoch75

3.78/5  rDev +4.1%

I bought two bottles of this at Friar Tuck since they had them marked wrong. I opened it up to share with with and I'm glad I did as I would not be able to drink the entire bottle myself. Appearance was great as every SA are, dark and velvety looking. Smell was inviting, but the taste was a little too chocolatey. Carbonation was right on, but would not buy another at the price offered.

04-19-2006 19:43:06 | More by czoch75
longarm

Maryland

Deep "chocolate" brown with good carbonation.

Aroma has hint of flowery hops and a dose of cocoa. Some aromatic sweetness.

Initial hit of flavor cola-esque. Aftertaste more like a milk chocolate candy bar. No off-flavors. The malt backbone doesn't support chocolate flavor when beer too cold, but after some warming the flavors round-out nicely and maltiness comes-to the fore.

Mouthfeel similarly rounds-out as the beer warms.

At first the cola taste seems almost overwhelming, but it fades quickly. Certainly worthy of the chocolate aspect of the name, but not quite as "bock-like" as I expected. More like a chocolate dunkel. It's quite drinkable and a solid beer, but way overpriced.

04-05-2006 01:48:31 | More by longarm
Samuel Adams Chocolate Bock from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)