1. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Samuel Adams Chocolate Bock - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Chocolate BockSamuel Adams Chocolate Bock

good

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Bock |  5.80% ABV

(Beer added by: TinusTime on 11-20-2003)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Chocolate Bock Alström Bros
3.23/5  rDev -11%

Beige head, pretty light and fluffy, and a bit on the large-fizzy-bubble side. Retention is okay.

The aroma has a nice powerful scent of chocolate, with some hints of roast and patent style malt. I'd like a little more.

The flavor is pretty wan and boring, not much in the chocolate department here, but definitely sweet and moderately roasted.

Thin body, doesn't pop in the mouth like it ought to and it isn't very chunky or lagered like a good bock.

This is not a good Sam Adams beer.

3.13/5  rDev -13.8%

Saved this one for xmas with the fam.

Large, beige snowdrift head with good retention. Dark brown liquid with ruby highlights.

Smells like ovaltine.

Very sugary. Tastes like nestle quick mixed with a little butterscotch. Smooth and frothy mouthfeel despite being a little thin. Too sugary to drink a full bottle by myself, I'm glad I had the fam to help me with this one.

Good, but not $16 good.

3.88/5  rDev +6.9%

This beer poured a very dark brown color with nice thick fluffy brown head that hung around a while. Aroma was choclatey, with some roasted malts, and a little fruit. Flavor was pretty much the same. Mouthfeel was thinner than I expected, but I have to remember this is a bock and not a stout. Drinkability was very high on this as the flavor combined with the 5.6%abv made this an easy drinker.

Got a pint of this from the Cloverleaf Tavern in West Caldwell, NJ.

A: Pours A dark brown body with a light tan head that was fairly thick (at least two fingers) that reduced later on but had pretty solid retention and lacing.

S: A slight chocolate smell with an additional wininess to the beer that seemed a bit off and surprising; I was expecting more of a malt smell to it.

T: A sweet, chocolate taste with a sweet, coffee and chocolate malt aftertaste. The beer itself reminded me of a chocolate Tootsie Pop.

M: A medium-bodied beer that was also velvety smooth and very nice on the palette.

D: An excellent mouthfeel and taste combination. While the beer itself was fairly sweet, it turned out to be very good. I was concerned about it possibly maintaining style, but the maltiness made itself more evident towards the end of the beer. A good drinking beer overall.

3.5/5  rDev -3.6%

* Purchased at Martin Wine Cellar in Metairie for $14.75.

Appearance: This beer poured a dark, black with a nice fluffy tan head.

Smell: More cocoa-ish than chocolate. Some roasted malts. Not much else going on.

Taste: Small hints of cocoa. Lots of roasted malt flavors with hints of fruits. Again, as in the aroma not a whole lot going on.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with medium carbonation.

Overall: Overall not a bad beer but certainly not worth the $14.75 I paid for it either. The beer was an average beer at an above average price.

3.3/5  rDev -9.1%

Had a taste of this once somewhat recently on tap and back then I thought it was good. I had to try it now and give it a full review now that my tastes have matured some

A - Really dark and off white head. not a coffee off-white, but an almost orange/brown off-white which quickly settled.

S - kinda hard to find when first taken out of the fridge. Milk chocolate and caramel sweetness. Not so bitter. More like candy bar chocolate rather than the chocolate in ST Chocolat

T - sweet simple milk chocolate. More than what you could find in the smell. most good chocolate taste in the aftertaste.

M - light, but more towards medium. Not too much carbonation. it's about right for a bock.

D - Easy to drink, but PITA in the wallet. If it wasn't so much a bottle, I'd really enjoy drinking this. Taste is simple and ABV is easy too.

750 mL bottle, recieved 2 as a Christmas present,

A: Pours brown with an overly fizzy off-white head, poor retention, though impressice at first sight.

S: Hints of cocoa powder, light acidity, dark malt, a pleasant smell.

T: Tastes a lot like a typical porter on first sip, with a lightly sour bite. Cocoa becomes quite evident on the aftertaste, but at no point does it take over the beer.

M: Light, relatively smooth, fizzy carbonation.

D: Very good drinkability due to its lightness, a tasty beer to drink. I don't think I'll buy it at $15, but it was fun to try, if the bottle was in the $5-6 range I'm sure I'd go for it again.

3.5/5  rDev -3.6%

A-A murky medium brown with amber highlights.

S-Malty with some hints of cocoa and honey.

T-A little bland really. Some roasted and caramel malts, a bit of honey.

M-A little thin, I think, even allowing for the low ABV.

D-It's alright but not all that exciting.

This is one overpriced beer.

HV

This poured a dark ruby color with tan head. It smelled like roasted barley and bitter chocolate malt, with copper hops an sweet yeast, with a hint of honey. It tasted like semi-sweet chocolate with roasted barley, copper hops, and some floury yeast. As it warmed, the flavor opened up with more pronounced sweetness. It was watery with some carbonation, and had a mild bittersweet aftertaste. Overall this was a simple but nicely constructed beer. It had a nice flavor that was very clean and easy to drink. The body was fitting for the style, too. I found myself wishing it was heavier as an imperial stout, but that's just my personal preference. All in all, definitely overpriced, but fun to try once.

3.88/5  rDev +6.9%

I will start this out by saying after reading the other postings about this I believe I got a flat beer.Poured from a 750 mL bottle into a pint glass. Look is black equivalent to cola. A off white heading with brown swirls. Settled very quickly and looked very flat. Immediatley smelled cocoa, kind of overpowering. The taste isn't that much different then that of the smell. A very flat cocoa taste a coffee lover's dream. No lacing whatsoever. I would like to try this one again as I said before I believe I got a very flat beer.

4.5/5  rDev +24%

APPEARANCE:
Pours an opaque black color with a off white head that dissipates slowly. A little bit of lacing.
SMELL:
Malt and chocolate.
TASTE:
An incredibly smooth beer. Almost like drinking chocolate milk. Nice balance of malt, chocolate and a hint of bitterness.
MOUTHFEEL
Full bodied, creamy beer with light carbonation.
DRINKABILITY:
Goes down exceptionally easy. Not too sweet, not to bitter. You need to be in the mood for this beer. Because it is more like a light chocolate shake than a bock. I happen to be enjoying this on Christmas Day and it is perfect for the occasion.

4.33/5  rDev +19.3%

750mL bottle with best before date of April 2009...

Pours a dark, nearly opaque color with a very light tan head that lasted throughout and left a good deal of lacing.

Smell and taste were overwhelmingly...get this...chocolate. Slight notes of honey also in the background. I could really feel the sweetness in this one and the flavor and aroma really come to life as the beer warms up just slightly. If you're a hophead you'll probably be disappointed but if you can sit for a dessert beer, it definitely has a taste that can be savored. Goes down easy and I could honestly see myself drinking this all night...assuming I could get some for less than $14.75 a bottle of course.

Tried this one with a friend who is relatively new to micros and this was definitely to his liking. By that respect it seems like a great transition beer...different enough to open your eyes to the world of better beer without being overwhelming. But I can see how veteran BAs may be turned off by Sam's attempt at a beer that is more over the top than their traditional offerings. Now IMO, being that this is a limited release, it is worth a try at least once if you can find it, but at that price I would expect it to be a little better than it was. Luckily I had some friends to go in with me on this one or I doubt I would have picked it up.

3.48/5  rDev -4.1%

Good, not great. Sort of confusing.

I don't think bock is really the style to be going all-out chocolate on, in the first place. The bottle cost me $15, and I was left with a beer that seemed like a very odd fit.

The chocolate is indeed there. You can smell it and taste it. I think if this were a robust porter or something like that, it might have been delicious. But bocks are already so malty and sweet, it tasted very...odd. Needed some roast backbone to stand up to the chocolate flavors. And for a bomber like this, especially a bock, you'd really be expecting a more robust, higher ABV beer. Why not chocolate doppelbock?

4.08/5  rDev +12.4%

A - This beer poured a rich brown color that produced a light tan head that had good retention and laced the glass nicely

S - From the nose on this beer I got malts, hot coco, caramel, and vanilla

T - The taste of this beer was nicely done, a rich malty taste that mixes well with the coco notes, and the vanilla and caramel finishes the palate off nicely

M - The mouthfeel on this beer had a light to moderate body that produced a moderate amount of carbonation

D - I know, this beer is very pricey, but the taste was great, but for a Bock, it felt a little light on the tongue and the price does hurt the drinkablilty, but I think this beer is still worth a try

3.83/5  rDev +5.5%

Poured from a bomber into a goblet.

A - Poured a dark brown with ruby hues. Looked a lot like Coca-Cola. The pour produced a thick head of tan foam that quickly subsided into a thin film with spotty lacing.

S - Malty aroma with hints of alcohol.

T - Malty and sweet with lots of vanilla. Finishes off slightly bitter with hints of bitter chcoclate.

MF&D - Not bad. A little on the sweet side, but still pretty drinkable. I wish this one was a little thicker and a lot less expensive.

3.55/5  rDev -2.2%

Pours into small tasting glasses black with a thick off white head. Almost looks like a stout, even smells alot like a stout with roasted chocolate malts in the scent. Very good lacing all the way down the glass.

I shared this with my family yesterday for an early christmas celebration. They're not "BA's", but do enjoy the different beers I let them try. If left alone, they'll only drink the Macro Light beers. As soon as I poured it, they all commented on how it looked like "coca-cola". They tasted it and really like it, noticing how the coaca flavors linger in the after taste.

I agree, how ever this was very thin in the mouthfeel for my likes. I wish it were a little thicker and higher in the alcohol, then this would be a great beer.

My uncle said he loved it until I told him how much the bottle cost, then he said "nevermind".

3.73/5  rDev +2.8%

Poured a dark near opaque black color with a fizzy yet fine tan head. Nice mellow chocolate aromas with a mild malt showing. Chocolate definitely dominated the palate here and I was a bit surprised that there was not much of that classic malty bock flavor. The mouthfeel was quite thin and fizzy. Not was I was expecting but still a decent brew. But at almost 11 bucks a bottle not something I will probably try again unless I see it on tap. Still worth a try if you havn't had it yet.

3.13/5  rDev -13.8%

A: Brown with ruby highlight at the edges. Poured a 2 finger coarse cocoa-colored head that dissipated quickly. Laced in thick rings.

S: Lots of big bready roasted malts. Chocolate, and caramel.

T: Good malty bock flavor of big roasted malts. Caramel and vanilla flavor lingered. Chocolate was not very prevalent.

M: Medim body. Carbonation a bit lackiing.

D: The flavors did not go together well really hurting the drinkability of this one.

4.08/5  rDev +12.4%

I have been waiting quite some time to find this brew in a bottle. I first tasted it at the Sam Adams Oktoberfest in Boston, and was blown away! At time I was pretty confidant that this was what Willy Wonkas Chocolate River was made of.

I am unsure if maybe the brew from the festival was just better, or maybe all that consumption affected my memory, but I am somewhat disappointed by the bottled Chocolate Bock. Although the actual bottle is very nice.

Appearance is everything expected. Basic dark brown little to no head.

I didn't get much out of the aroma, small chocolate notes, maybe toffee. I expected to just be blown away by the chocolate aroma, but wasn't.

Taste is still very pleasing. Chocolate, toffee, vanilla. But the overwhelming barrage of expensive Felchin Swiss coco flavor isn't there, and the intense sweetness that I would associate with a bock was missing. Just nice subtle hints of the key ingredient. Again nothing mind blowing.

I remember the flavor of the Swiss coco sticking to my tongue. But mouthfeel was light for a bock. Highly carbonated.

The Sam Adams Chocolate Bock is a nice flavorful brew that goes down easy. ABV is pretty low (5.5%). So this is a very drinkable brew. But at $15 a pop you'll be dipping into savings if you want more than a few of these. That and they aren't that easy to find. The liquor store I went to only had a case.

I would still recommend at least giving this brew a shot. It is tasty.

(update):

I found this on tap. The flavor is much more intense. At $6 a class I would recommend over the bottle.

3.53/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Purchased at Poplar Wine & Spirits for $14.50

This pours a very dark brown with a 1 finger head of tannish foam.

The smell gave me notes of dark and milk chocolate and some roasted malt.

The taste is bigger on the chocolate than I remember the last time I had this...years ago. Mostly semi sweet with a light touch of dark chocolate bitterness. It does have some roasted malt and grainy flavour as well.

The mouthfeel falls just short of medium and the carbonation is also medium.

Drinkability? The abv says this should be fairly sessionable and I find it *is* easy to drink with the caveat that this is a big ole 750ml bottle...I'd like to see it come out in a smaller bottle but hey, that's just me. A pretty nice drop here, overall.

3.6/5  rDev -0.8%

750ml big bottle split with wife and poured into chalice.
Bottle graphics: 4/10. Eh.

A: Shocker- dark chocolate brown. Clumpy, mountainous creamy head like hot cocoa. Tempts me to throw some marshmallows into this.

S: Semisweet chocolate, nutty and sweet. Smells of a Nestle Crunch bar after the first bite was taken. I get the hint of an octoberfest caramel as well.

T: Bittersweet/semisweet chocolate. Long way from milk chocolate. With such an abundance of chocolate, I do have a tough time tracking down the bock specs, more toffee brittle. Extremely bready making it unique. I don't say it often but this one needs to have the abv amped up to carry the needed flavors.

I guess the malts and types make it a bock but the vanilla taste seems counterintuitive. The vanilla aftertaste though is my favorite part of this drink.

M: Somewhat carbonated, thinner body than I anticipated. Not overly rich nor does it need to be. Light for a bottle presenting itself like this.

D: Got it as a gift but the price on this is a bit tough. I sure am glad I got to try it out. The shining points are the quality pure flavors, not fake which do make it worth a couple extra bucks.

3.25/5  rDev -10.5%

i found this beer to be better than expected from reading the reviews - i tasted more bock style, which i love , than chocolate -
that's fine by me - easily drank the whole bottle in one sitting -
won't pay $16.99 for it again, though - i thought it got better as it warmed - a nice beer on a snowy day a week before christmas.

*edit - 1/23/11
original review was from one of the big fancy bombers - I've since had the 12oz bottles that come in the winter packs and I find this beer kind of nasty, like chalky cocoa mix in a so-so beer - I don't know what's changed here - it might be me.

3.88/5  rDev +6.9%

Been looking forward to this beer for awhile, and the bottles are rather exorbitantly priced. Luckily O'Briens got a keg.

Pours a dark brown with not a ton of head, but what is there is a creamy tan head. Slight retention.

Aroma consists of a bold chocolate, light caramel and roast. Really enjoyed the nose on this one.

Decent flavor, chocolate, bready flavors similar to some bocks but it's a rather small beer and as such is slightly lacking in "big" flavor. I would love to see this brewed up to around 8% or so. I think it would improve a lot.

Mouthfeel is light, medium carbonation, and drinkability is rather high since it's a small beer and good tasting. I definitely enjoy it, but would never spend the amount they want for a bottle now that I've tasted it. Worth a try once, but not exceptional. Worth seeking out though.

3.8/5  rDev +4.7%

I was very excited to try this beer because I'd heard a lot of good things about it and the bottle was very cool.

Turns out the bottle was the coolest thing about the beer. I'm not saying the beer wasn't good, I guess my expectations were just a lot higher based on the coolness of the bottle.

Not overly chocolatey or thick. Good medium body with mild carbonation. Lots of roasted malts and dark chocolate initially and finishing with a bit of a metallic tangy bite.

Good after dinner beer and excellent to pair with a rich dessert.

Very drinkable due to the low ABV%.

One of my favorite Sam Adams seasonal beers. Definitely worth trying.

3.03/5  rDev -16.5%

Purchased this at Canal's in Mount Holly NJ.
25oz Bottle
A. Dark brown with little head
S. Sweet, light chocolate, malt
T. Typical of a bock beer. I was not impressed. Faint chocolate and moderate malt taste up front, but quickly faded away. I was left with a watery, empty taste on my palate.
M. unremarkable
D. I would not purchase this beer again. I was not inspired to finish the one glass I had.

Samuel Adams Chocolate Bock from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)