Samuel Adams Chocolate Bock - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Chocolate BockSamuel Adams Chocolate Bock

good

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Bock |  5.80% ABV

(Beer added by: TinusTime on 11-20-2003)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Chocolate Bock Alström Bros
dippy

3.43/5  rDev -5.5%

This was a fairly big purchase for me. I don't usually spend $14 on a beer, but when I do I am usually blown away. This was not the case with this purchase.

Poured a nice deep brown color that made my mouth water with a crown of light fizzy foam.

Light sweet hints of maltiness and coffee scent.

Was a smooth beer going down, but nothing to write home about. Didn't really get that chocolate or coffee or malty kick I was expecting. It was like a watery bock. Too bland for me.

I was dissapointed in this beer.

12-07-2004 15:18:22 | More by dippy
UncleFrank

Connecticut

3.83/5  rDev +5.5%

OOOhhh, desert in a glass. This beer can be taken many different ways. By style it has its flaws, as the last beer of the night or the first after dinner, its very nice.
the color is almost black with a thick brown head.
The aroma is bursting with chocolate and candy, like snickers.
The body is thin for a bock but not overly so. The sweet malt charecter is borderline cloying due to some other flavors of apple and chocoalte candi instead of bittersweet chocolate. Its not as clean as a typical "lager", which a bock should be. That said, I thought it was perfect for after that big ass turkey dinner I just had. It has some "fudge" quality instead of chocolate. Had 2 last night before moving on to something else. This beer is WAAYYYY better on tap than in the bottle, and fairly priced too. the bottles on the other hand... well you make your own judgement there.

12-06-2004 23:44:08 | More by UncleFrank
twi1609372

I'm pretty shocked to see nobody else gave this beer a 5. I'm also surprised at some of the bad reviews. this is an exceptional beer. so what if the alcohol content is only 5.6%? and the price is $15, this inst a beer meant to be drunk every day. it's made for a special occasion. If you want raw alcohol drink 25 bud lights, you wont get anywhere near the taste but you will get a lot of alcohol.the taste is blended just right so you know it's beer but you know it's a different beer. It's a "chocolate bock" it will be somewhat sweet, get over it, it's not as if it was dark bock, you know it's sweet before you drink. The only question "is it too sweet?" and "is the beers flavor aside from the sweetness too low?" You don't want to have two distinct flavors so great that they compete with each other and i think the mixture Sam Adams came up with was good. It a beer with a coco taste. you taste both but neither totally dominates the other, although it may be a bit sweet for some tastes.

12-04-2004 07:37:15 | More by twi1609372
horshack7

4.43/5  rDev +22%

Appearance of the bottle is one of two things that drew me to this particular beer i thought the metal label was rather unique. The other was I simply love Samuel Adams brew's.
After pouring this beer I smelled it and noticed that the chocolate and coffee scents really showed through. The head of the beer I found to be very frothy and had great head retention which both were nice atributes. The color was very dark very pleasing to the eye with it's brown hue.

The taste i found to be just simply incredible. The chocolate and coffee flavors I felt were well balanced and not over powering. Although it was not as stout or bitter as I expected from a bock it was very smooth and pleasing to the palate. Overall I highly recomend this bock for all it's atributes. Cheers

12-04-2004 00:44:52 | More by horshack7
Wolfsdenbrew

New Mexico

2.83/5  rDev -22%

I bought this one right before thanksgiving thinking it would be a good dessert beer.

The aroma is definitely that of chocolate, like a nestle's kiss. It pours almost black with a thick creamy brown head that dissipated quickly leaving very little lacing. The taste is of milk chocolate also, but there is very little body to this beer. Almost like a chocolate soda. The carbonation is good, just no presence of body in this one at all. If you love chocolate you will probably enjoy this beer, but not a good representation of a bock at all.

11-30-2004 03:23:38 | More by Wolfsdenbrew
travolta

3.23/5  rDev -11%

I have seen this in the stores and I have always been curious.
Apperance: Lacing is nice, head retention is minimal. It is black in the glass, but when up to the light it has shades of amber and merlot.

Nose: unsweetened chocolate, syrup, thats about it.

Taste: Mostly the same as the smell. the chocolate is more pronounced in the taste. There is a lingering texture to it. It goes down like cough syrup at the end, but the body is not thick.

Notes: I was not as impressed with this as I thought I would be. It tastes like a nice bock. I didnt want nice for 15 bucks, I wanted great.

11-29-2004 22:02:10 | More by travolta
oberon

4.33/5  rDev +19.3%

Wow $14..99 a bottle well I guess you do what you gotta do,pours darn near black with a big rocky head that amazingly left no lace (would have gotten a near perfect score if it did).Big chocolate aroma to be expected seemed to be more of a milk chocolate than cocoa with a light orange note,alot flavor melding going on here of course a big dose of chocolate I also picked up a hint of smoke in there finishing very earthy and nutty very nice.Did not seem to be overly thin like others have said seemed right on to me,extremely drinkable and goes well with my wifes chocolate pecan pie but the that price is scary.

11-26-2004 02:18:49 | More by oberon
maxpower

Missouri

2.93/5  rDev -19.3%

Dark brown almost black with a decent creamy brown head that leaves some lacing. Sweet dark chocolate aromas, buttery chocolate flavors, medium bodied with a soft and creamy mouthfeel, finishes a bit too sweet, overpriced for what it is, I was disappointed.

11-22-2004 14:20:26 | More by maxpower
Rastacouere

Quebec (Canada)

2.08/5  rDev -42.7%

Medium brown body shows red hints and wears a thin beige head. Lactic chocolate paired with honey cough candies nose. Also has an understated minty presence. Taste is buttery, lightly tart and incredibly sweet, sugary in fact with hints of flour, butter, cacao powder. I had trouble finishing my ~100-125mL portion, I can’t imagine going through a whole bottle. Thin-medium bodied, powdery texture, light carbonation. Nope, this is bad stuff.

11-21-2004 21:12:05 | More by Rastacouere
brentk56

3.63/5  rDev 0%

Appearance: Dark brown opaque body with a tinge of red highlights; small bone colored head with modest lacing

Smell: Chocolate nose, slightly burnt

Taste: Sweet chocolate that lasts for a long time and transforms in the mouth with a touch of bitterness in the middle; as the beer warms to room temperature, more of the bitter flavors come through, which make for a much better drinking experience

Mouthfeel: A bit thin for a beer so rich; very modest carbonation

Drinkability: Awfully tough to consume a bomber of this stuff; share it or you'll get sick of the sweetness.

Way too overpriced for what you get. I bought it once for the novelty but wouldn't purchase it again. Sure don't understand why Sam Adams would market a beer that is not conducive to repeat purchase.

11-21-2004 02:04:02 | More by brentk56
randal

3.58/5  rDev -1.4%

Saw this on tap and I wasn't aware that it would be and having procrastinated and not tried the bottled version I sprang for it.

Served much too cold by Old Chicago - I let it sit and warm to sub-arctic temperatures.

What can I say? Bock is meant to be drunk, it is meant to revitalize and this one certainly does that. No roasted notes to speak of, plenty of chocolate malt though. The beer is silky smooth and finishes just a tad too sweet - maybe a touch more alcohol would have balanced this out a bit. At the beginning of the glass I was in love with the wonderful interplay of chocolate malt and real chocolate flavor. By the end of the glass I hd decided that one is enough.

To sum it up - this beer would be great with a touch more balance from alcohol or a little more bitterness. The silky smooth mouthfeel is nice but not more-ish. I would only drink one, just as I wouldn't sit down and have a session with chocolate shakes.

11-19-2004 16:52:36 | More by randal
Ellbert

4.15/5  rDev +14.3%

Appearance: The appearance was a nice redish brown typical bock look. There was not a good head however.

The smell was somewhat chocolaty but not as much as I expected. It was pretty sweet though.

Taste: Burnt chocolate, smooth, little hop flavor but good.

Mouthfeel: Creamy and smooth. Nice carbonation for the style.

Overall I think that Sam pulled off a nice beer but they need to relax on the price. I will take a smaller bottle and a paper label for a cheeper price.

11-14-2004 06:16:28 | More by Ellbert
assurbanipaul

2.45/5  rDev -32.5%

To begin, I never read reviews here before sampling something new. I like to maintain a fresh, unbiased opinion. However, this beer promised more as it had a whispered reputation, hard-to-find availability and came in an imposing black bottle with a faux-pewter label/plate and a hefty $16 price tag. (If I read the reviews first, I probably wouldn't have bought it.... naah, I'll try even the bad stuff once.)

Enough commentary, on with the review: Pours a deep dark brown with a light bone head. Nose is of dark malt and faint spices with some cocoa elements, not as strong as expected. Perhaps this held promise after all.

Taste is refreshingly not a sugary-sweet chocolate drink. Dark sweet malt base, to be sure, reminds me of a Salvator but with a hint of mocha or espresso added. A drier element of sorghum or baker's cocoa also comes out after a while. After about half the bomber, the flavors reduce to simply dark malty coffee with light sugar. By the end of the bottle, you're ready to swear off doughnuts for a year.

Mouthfeel is a little heavier than medium but not atypical for the style. Not cloying but still sweet with a bit of a dry powder texture which I had to take off points for. Certainly not bad but just too one-dimensional to either be great or to justify the hefty price tag. I’d rate only the first half good, the second half just average. Might be better served if sold as a sixer of 8-oz bottles, since a bomber is just a chore to finish.

Overall, a disappointment given its "limited edition" status, hype and price tag. A novelty if you must but there are better chocolate beers out there and certainly better values for the hard-earned beer dollar. Add a little coffee to a doppelbock and get the same impression but cheaper.

11-14-2004 05:15:31 | More by assurbanipaul
ejquin

2.38/5  rDev -34.4%

2004 vintage
Appearance: The bottle is definitely the best thing about this beer. As far as the beer itself, it's a dirty brown color with almost no light getting through. Dark brown head that dissipates quickly.

Smell: Smells of chocolate for sure, but very sweet.

Taste: Not very good at all. It definitely tasted of chocolate but it was way to sweet for me. The sweet chocolate mixed with carbonation and beer was not a pretty combination

Mouthfeel: Thin viscosity, and a bit too carbonated to me for a chocolate beer.

Drinkibility: Terrible. I could not even get through one glass which is a shame considering the amount of money i spent on the bottle. It's just way too sweet.

11-11-2004 22:31:16 | More by ejquin
budgood1

3.45/5  rDev -5%

pours out a dark and ruby tinged garnett colour, with an inch tan head that dissapates quite quickly. there is a bit of lace as i sip, but not much. the aroma is quite pour...just for the fact that there is basically no aroma save for a fleeting hint of chocolate candy bar. upon tasting....whoa...lotsa chocolate...no confusing the flavour with anything else except a box of fine chocolate. and there is little else to the taste profile except chocolate...and a hint of bittering hops. the malt profile really has a tough time fighting through the scharffen berger chocolate. and i'm sure this was the intention. there is a nice little alcohol and spicy bitterness in the aftertaste that reminds me bit of the sammy doppel that seems to redeem this concoction...but just a little bit. the body and soul of this beer are hard to read under the chocolatey mask, and the mouthfeel is lacking. this idea of a true chocolate bock (or double bock) could have been brilliant had they amped up the beer to match the choco flavours. and jim koch and those boston beer guys would have been right to charge so much for a single big bottle. luckily i scored a few bottles for about $8 a piece.

for the price i paid, and the best by date of june 2004, this is an ok beer. for the exorbitant price and hype surrounding it...NOT worth it. unless money is no issue. regardless...this is a gimmicky beer and a marketing sham.

11-06-2004 02:25:36 | More by budgood1
barleysangel

It had the color of a chocolate labrador retreiver (brown with a reddish tint). The head was light brown and foamy and lot of it. It smelled chocolately and spicy. There was a sweet chocolate taste, not bitter chocolate. Super smooth. There was a little aftertaste of roasted malt or something smoked. The mouthfeel was not too thin and not too thick. It was a good bock. Pricey.

11-05-2004 00:44:15 | More by barleysangel
Stimack

3.88/5  rDev +6.9%

Actually was able to try this brew on tap at Mahars a few nights ago. I was very surprised to see it on tap as I thought it was only to be bottled but I am not complaining! It surprised me again as I had forgotten the taste from the bottled one I had back in March timeframe. It pored to a nice deep dark brown, almost hedging on black with a nice tan head that slowly faded to lacing that lasts for most of the beer. The aroma is chocolaty along with roasted malts! The taste reminds me of a chocolate milkshake, as it is mostly all about the chocolate with a smallish but distinct roasted malt flavor. The feel of this brew is quite creamy with a medium body. Overall this is a nice brew and was glad that I was able to experience it again. I will be looking for this in the future but the price of the bottle is a bit scary! On tap it was much more manageable at $5 for a pint.

11-02-2004 20:00:21 | More by Stimack
donnyw

Wisconsin

This beer's color is near black in color. The head is thick but quick to dissipate. Very nice chocolate smell. The taste is chocolate up front, malty finish, back to chocolate for the after-taste. This is a great beer that I would love to have again, unfortunatly the price is quite extreme. I can get a 750 of my favorite trapist ale for about half the price.

11-02-2004 04:27:32 | More by donnyw
WesWes

4.38/5  rDev +20.7%

The beer pours a deep dark brown color with a thick frothy tan head that slowly fades to lacing. The aroma is good. It is rich with chocolate and crystal malts. It is creamy and very pleasant. The taste is awesome. It is thin on mouthfeel, but rich in chocolate flavor. It goes down easy and finishes like a chocoalte milkshake; very nice. The mouthfeel is near perfect. It is a full bodied beer with adequate carbonation. This is a great beer. I love everything about it. It is incredibly smooth and full of flavor; a chocolate lovers dream.

11-02-2004 02:46:55 | More by WesWes
clvand0

Kentucky

4.85/5  rDev +33.6%

It's been a while since I've had this one, but I remember it like it was yesterday. That was one gorgeous bottle. Poured a very dark brown color with a tan head that dies off pretty quickly. The aroma is almost all chocolate with a little sweet malt thrown in. The flavor had a very nice chocolate character to it and it leaves some dark and roasted malts around toward the end. Extremely smooth and a full, thick body. I could drink this beer all day and all night.

11-01-2004 18:14:12 | More by clvand0
bigbubba

3.9/5  rDev +7.4%

Let me start by saying that this is a great tasting beer that I will never have again. The beer is great but the price is way too high. It was a nice dark brown beer with a light tan head. There wasn't a real distnct smell, it just smelled like a bock with a hint of chocolate. There was a very nice chocolate flavor, but it was a sweet chocolate, not the bitter chocolate some stouts have. Mouthfeel and drinkability were great. Unfortunately the price is absolutely ridiculous.

11-01-2004 04:11:24 | More by bigbubba
cro250klr

4.55/5  rDev +25.3%

While I'm not a big fan of Sam Adams brews in general, I just had to try this. There's no doubt the packaging had something to do with it, as the bottle is now a pretty cool looking flower vase. The first pour, right to the last, was nice. The creamy head lasted till the very end. Even in the smokey atmosphere of the bar the nose can pick up the roasted malts, along with the fruity, cocoa/chocholate aroma. This is one smooth beer. The light hop, roasted malt, chocolate flavor is incredible. I had to do a double take to make sure this was an Adams creation.
After downing one 750 ml I ordered up another. My wife, not a beer drinker, tried it and loved it. So we shared. Before I knew it the second bottle was gone. I decided on just one more because now a friend had arrived and, nice guy that I am, we split the last one three ways.
Tab Time. WHAT THE @%&*!!!! Twenty two dollars a bottle!! While I enjoyed the hell out of this beer, and would certainly like to have this around for the holidays, 66 bucks for three beers is a lot of jingle. After the three bottles I didn't seem all that buzzed up so I checked. At only 5.60 ABV this has to be the most expenive beer brewed anywhere. I'm glad that I can say I tried probably one of the best chocholate bocks out there. However, that is one insulting price. Someone ought to resurrect Sam Adams and show him what this stuff costs. He'd probably say, " Look at what they're charging for this beer. The hell with the tea tax. Let's dump the bock in the bay."

10-25-2004 18:51:44 | More by cro250klr
Phyl21ca

Quebec (Canada)

4.22/5  rDev +16.3%

Bottle: Poured a light black beer with a huge foamy off-white head with good retention. Aroma is a mix of roasted malt, coffee/chocolate and subtle floral malt – very nice. Taste is quite incredible and can be describe as mix between Ayinger Celebrator and Rogue Chocolate Stout without too much hops, which reduce the bitterness and create something quite delicious. OK, probably a bit expensive but still would not mind to have this well balance beer once again.

10-25-2004 17:32:32 | More by Phyl21ca
Bierguy5

3.98/5  rDev +9.6%

Fancy bottle with best before June 2005 printed on the label. Pours a chestnut color, with some ruby highlights. Thick tan creamy head which stayed for a good length of time, and left some nice patchy lace on the sides of the glass. Nice roasty smell, with hints of chocolate. Darker malt flavors, but not approaching a stout. Sweet chocolate flavor at the end, some bitterness but maybe due to the roasty flavors. Medium body with very low carbonation. Feels kind of slick, and maybe a bit creamy. Nice experiment. Probably not too drinkable but good with dessert or a special event. It is pricey, but probably worth trying.

10-24-2004 13:39:32 | More by Bierguy5
redmosquito

4.43/5  rDev +22%

Wow from start to finish. The packaging is so nice I hate to open the bottle. It pours a deep brown color that shines garnet in the light. The head is light brown and leaves a little lacing. Tha aroma is all chocolate malt and then yeast. The flavor is definitely cocoa, but the roasted malts are not forgotten. The mouthfeel is silky and lingers with the flavor of chocolate (duh). This beer goes down really easy, the 750ml. bottle suddenly doesn't seem big enough.

10-23-2004 20:31:33 | More by redmosquito
Samuel Adams Chocolate Bock from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)