1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

Samuel Adams Chocolate Bock - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Chocolate BockSamuel Adams Chocolate Bock

good

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Bock |  5.80% ABV

(Beer added by: TinusTime on 11-20-2003)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Chocolate Bock Alström Bros
4.03/5  rDev +11.3%

Even though this said it was a chocolate bock I was still expecting a stout or porter flavor. The aroma had a nice amount of chocolate and fruity bock aroma. I found it for $10 a bottle which seems about what it's worth. While I'm not a big chocolate fan the chocolate in the beer was done nicely. It's nice and complex without being too sweet. Overall I'd recommend picking up a bottle if you get the chance.

ScottS, Feb 09, 2005
4.6/5  rDev +27.1%

Decided to open this up while serving dessert while some friends were over. Ruby brown in color, with a short spotty head. Aroma is a wonderful combination of chocolate, coffee, raisin, plum, and mild alcohol. The flavor is an exceptional balance of roasted malts, huge chocolate, mild coffee, and a wonderful nuttiness. Nice sweetness, but note overly so.

The mouthfeel is smooth, and the chocolate rides the tongue long. Medium / heavy in body, extremely drinkable dessert brew. Worth seeking out.

Gavage, Feb 06, 2005
3.93/5  rDev +8.6%

I looked up Scharffen Berger, the beer chocolatier here, and discovered the reason for the $13-$14 bottle. That's some pretty expensive chocolate they make! Sam Adams, of course, is pretty cheap stuff (and probably making a nice profit on this "Limited Edition Brew").
Scharffen did a nice job of putting his chocolate in Sam's beer...or Sam did a good job of putting his beer in Scharffen's chocolate....because this here's a pretty drinkable chocobock (those gals in Shonen Knife would probably like this, come to think of it).
It's dark brown (like Godiva liquor) but doesn't have that much of a smell (or have I just got too much mucus in my nose to smell it?....oh, that's gross, I know).
I'm drinking the entire 1pt 9.4fl oz, so "poohey" on those who say it's only for sipping. I'm CELEBRATING! Dammit! I can't tell you why, but it's a good day for me.
I wish I had an Andechs Dopplebock, but the syrupy, chocolaty, semi-sweet rich chocolate bock does the job just fine.
It costs a bit, and it isn't equal to most beers in it's price range, but it IS a good beer....drink it with that in mind.
(Best before March 2005 Brew - I'm drinking it in February 2005)

BeerBard, Feb 04, 2005
3.6/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This one pours a very dark, almost black, ruby with a dense khaki head. The aroma is heavy with cocoa and a touch of dark chocolate. There’s a sticky sweetness in the flavor, but it refrains from becoming cloying. The body is slightly sticky. It’s rich and dessert like, but seems to be a little lacking in complexity.

aracauna, Jan 26, 2005
4.55/5  rDev +25.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

A very fine beer. This chocolate bock pours a nice dark color. A good size head forms and lasts. The smell is pleasing: sweat malt and hints of chocolate. The taste is nice: nutty and slightly chocolate. Smooth mouth feel, Certainly a beer to be worth searching out and enjoying.

BadBadger, Jan 23, 2005
3.53/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Unwrapped the foil and stood dumbstruck as a golden ticket was revealed with this one on 1/15/2005. 16-oz. pour (probably should have asked for a 10-oz. pour) at the Sunset.

Jackson Pollock frag of thin, barely covering head. Dark, caramel hue with just a touch of light at the point where the glass tapers. Boil, boil, toil and trouble cooked chocolate on nose with a tremulous malt underpinning. Roasted punch on mouth, with a creamy chocolate veil that embraces the flailing malt. Had a bottle a year ago, when first released, and was not impressed, yet this draught offering surprised me – more compelling than its progenitor.

Truh, Jan 16, 2005
4.47/5  rDev +23.5%

Served on tap at the Snakebite bar by accident (sam adams sent them the wrong kegs: lucky me!!!) Pours an opaque black color with a tiny white head about a quarter inch thick. Aromas are deeply of chocolate, cocoa, and a hint of roastiness. Initial flavors are quite chocolatey, with tones of toffee and coffee and a bit sweetness in the mix. Overall mouthfeel is very smooth and creamy, almost like a giant milkshake. In the middle there are hints of caramels, roastiness, and molasses but there is absolutely no astringency present from the malts, which makes this brew quite smooth. The finish and is as sweet and chocolately as the beginning and truly reminds me of an alcoholic chocolate milkshake. As for drinkablility I feel like I could have 20 of these and just not notice, because there is no astringency and a lot of cocoa and chocolate like flavors.. A nice offering on draft!

bigbeerdrinka, Jan 11, 2005

This was a Christmas gift from my main man, fellow hockey-playing and bier-drinking bro, Artied2.
This bock pours clear, and is a deep, richly hued mahogany/chestnut. Topping the brew is a 1/2" tan, creamy smooth head, though it thins rapidly to a fine layer of bubbling. No real lacing to speak of. Nose is malty, like caramel and crystal, with light sweetness and a light hop touch. Chocolate is quite subdued. This bock has a solid medium body, though I wish it were fuller like other bocks. There's some carbonation on the tongue, but it's more of a bubbly feel as opposed to being prickly. Flavor has plenty of mild sweetness, with savory caramel maltiness and light roasty touches. Not quite near the rich flavor of Sammys Doppelbock, though. Floral hops are present and meld nicely with the malt flavors near the finish. Chocolate is there, though quite subtle. I'm glad for that, as I was concerned this would be a bier/choco milkshake kind of combo. A tasty bier, all-in-all (though quite pricey, from what I hear). Thnx again, Bro!

Prosit!!

overall: 4
appearance: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | mouthfeel: 4 | drinkability: 4

Bierman9, Jan 09, 2005
4.35/5  rDev +20.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Hrmmmm.... Dark chocolate color with red highlights and a tan head. Head doesn't stick around or leave any lacing, damn.

Smell is rich and chocolatey. Malt is hidden behind the cocoa aroma with no sign of alcohol or hops.

Man... it's like liquid chocolate. Strong chocolate presence as it warms. Pretty good and not overly sweet.

Goes down ultra smooth with a silky, milk chocolate feel.

Super drinkable but definately something that isn't a daily drinker(especially for the price). Happy New Year!!

KoG, Jan 01, 2005
4.3/5  rDev +18.8%

Picked this up as a christmas present for my lady. Wonderful person that she is, she decided to split it with me.

I liked this beer quite a bit, much more than I thought I would. Others on this site disagree, but to me it tasted better than the bottle of celebrator I had a few days ago.

Appearance: roasted nut brown. borders on black, but quite brown when the light shine through. Pour produced almost no head; the only head I get comes from the chimay logo etched in the bottom of my chalice.

Smell: Alcohols, roasted caramel and nuts, perhaps the slightest hint of chocolate

Taste. The best 5.6 ABV beer I have had in a long time. Very complex. When cool their is a stout-like roasted flavor which gives way to chocolate undertones and slight bitterness. As it warms molassess and carmel flavors are brought out, but never in excess. Once it approaches room temp, something is lost, the sweetness begins to dominate. Alcohols come out, which is pleasant, but so does a bitterness which is not right in this beer.

Mouthfeel: Right thickness, slight tingle, fun to roll around on your tongue. Always have a hard time coming up with something to say here.

Drinkability: If price where not an issue, my fridge would consistently be stocked with this beer. But an $13 a 750, I can't afford to. My first five in drinkability. My reasons
1. Its darn tasty.
2. The tastes are not ones that will overwelm your pallete quickly, as hops do.
3. at 5.6 ABV, you could drink quite a bit of this

Seek this one out, and forgive Sam Adams for making a Light beer.

poundboy, Dec 29, 2004
2.5/5  rDev -30.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

On tap at the Muddy Pig.
Served in it's own classy tulip-type glass, Chocolate Bock has an impressive appearance, fully, impenetrably black, with a fine, upstanding toasted tan head.
Aroma is fine as well, with hefty cocoa character wafting out of the glass.
Taste starts out good, nice chocolate, very malty, hints of fruit, but the body gives way after a while, and the finish becomes syrupy sweet, leading to an odd, medicinal tang, that stays too long on the palate, and ultimately repels. The first half of every gulp is good, but it ends badly, molasses meets Robitussin.
I was glad to find this on draft, for their was no way I would spend $15 on a 22 ounce bottle of this, fancy package or ingredients or no, especially not after the first reviews came in...a sample off the tap would be more economical. (And now that I had it, I doubt I could enjoy finishing a bottle.) I was not prepared, however, for the Muddy Pig prices. Six bucks?!? YOW!
One firmly in the "No, thanks" column for me.

feloniousmonk, Dec 24, 2004
4.38/5  rDev +21%

12/21/04- On tap at the Toronado in San Francisco, CA

Presentation- Served in a La Chouffe tulip glass.

Appearance- 3/4 inch creamy white head, nice deep brown-blackish color. Lacing was a bit hard to come by though.

Smell- Hints of chocolate and caramel. Not a huge chocolate smell though.

Taste- Whoa! Wasn't expecting this much chocolate after the sniff. Huge chocalate taste here. Kind of a combo between dark and milk chocolate. Maybe like cocoa but cool rather than warm. I'm liking this!

Mouthfeel- Tiny bit of carbonation is all that keeps it from a 5. Goes down super easy like a milkshake. Fairly thick as expected.

Drinkability- I could drink these all night long because of the low alcohol content. This is a winner in my book. The bottle price tag is outrageous though. $14 for a 500ml? JOKE! It's not that good. This stuff aint Cantillon or Dues. But, on tap for $3.50 for 12 ounces...you got yourself a deal every time.

GClarkage, Dec 22, 2004
3.53/5  rDev -2.5%

Decided to spend the $14.95 and buy a sample of this brew given how i have liked other chocolate beers from other brewers.

Appearance was very dark black and let no light through. A think tan head formed that lasted the length of the sample and left mild lacing only when slightly agitated.

Smell was that of chocolate, coffee, toffee, and carmel. Rather inviting and closely resembled that of their cream stout.

Taste was very chocolatley. Much more so that the Young's or Brooklyn IMO. This was nice at first, but a chore to finish the samle. Hence the slightly lower drinkability rating.

Mouthfeel was very heavy and resembled the nature of the taste. Thick and creamy, not bad in the least, but very hearty.

Drinkablity, as said, was a little tough because it was a bit too chocolatley that it detracted just a bit from the taste of the beer to almost being a fermented hershey bar.

Not a bad brew, but i certainly prefers other in the same style more so than this offering from SA.

Sycodrummer, Dec 20, 2004
4.03/5  rDev +11.3%

On draught at Winking Lizard. More reasonably priced than the bottled version. Dark brown color with a medium thin and foamy beige head. Thin and sticky lacing. The aroma is mainly chocolate and cocoa, with a hint of malt. Medium-bodied and smooth with a semi-sweet chocolate flavor. Light hops balance the sweetness pretty well. The finish is mildly sweet chocolate with a hint of coffee. Enjoyable.

Dogbrick, Dec 18, 2004
4.05/5  rDev +11.9%

An interesting beer to say the least. The beer poured a dark brown color with a nice tan head that faded quickly and left a nice pillow of foam on the top till the last drop. The smell was very good especially as the beer warmed with a wonderful dark chocolate and cocoa scent. The flavor was good too with a healthy dose of sweet chocolate at first, then the malt kicked in followed by a slight hoppiness and a dry dark chocolate finnish and aftertaste. The beer is kind of one dimentonal, but what do you expect from a beer claiming to have a large chocolate flavor? I dig it but I would never buy it again at it's current price point.

Dmann, Dec 15, 2004
4.4/5  rDev +21.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The beer poured a nice dark brown color with nice ruby hues when held to the light. There was also a nice ring of head over top of the beer. The nose was chocolate, caramel and a slight raisin note as well. The flavor was full on chocolate, with some creamy marshmellow tones, something like a hot chocolate in beer form. The feel was nicely moderate and smooth, with an almost velvety feel. Drinkability was big. A nice easy drinking beer that went down with no problems at all.

kmpitz2, Dec 14, 2004
3.68/5  rDev +1.7%

As a chocolate lover, I was immediately drawn to this beer on the shelves at a vendor in Hunt Valley, MD even though the price of $15 threw me back a bit. The bottle was armed with a great pewter-like badge stating "Samuel Adams Chocolate Bock". The beer was consumed at room temperature. The presentation is a dark amber with larger-than-average white head while the nose is sweet chocolate and raisins. The chocolate flavor dominates with light roasted malt which lingers into the aftertaste but it isn’t as present as I’d desire; nonetheless, it causes me to seek the flavor again and again after every sip. I find myself chasing the flavor and feel somewhat underwhelmed by the sturdiness of the body. This beer is certainly worthy of praise but the price smacks me into regression.

Wonka, Dec 12, 2004
4.22/5  rDev +16.6%

The bottle will have a great second life as an art piece or a flower pot for the kitchen table. I purchased this for a friend as a Christmas present. Being of good heart, she let me try some.

This poured almost pitch-black. A medium-sized off-white head formed quickly, and it stuck around for a while, inviting me to taste it. The predominant scent was cocoa, enhanced by the fact that I got foam on my nose. It tasted very similar to a chocolate stout, only somewhat lighter in body. There was just the slightest hint of hop taste as it hit my tongue. It went down smooth, and had a sweet chocolate aftertaste. It felt very pleasant in my mouth, not too bitter for my liking. Had it been my own bottle, I could have certainly drunk more. For a holiday party, one sampling sufficed.

If you're looking for a special-occasion beer, and are willing to spend upwards of $15 for the bottle, I highly recommend this beer. It will go well particularly with dessert.

bceaglejoe, Dec 11, 2004
3.55/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

from the bottle . shared this one with bieristgut. poured a dark ruby with a smal off white head. aroma, a nice comination of sweet and bitter chocolate,wine, malts, hops, caramel, dark molasses, alcohol, prunes. flavor chocolate covered cherries, like godiva, honey, malts,plums,raisins, brown sugar, a nice bitterness. hides the alcohol well.dry mouth feel and hints of licorice. but $15.00 is a little bit to much maybe 8 or 9 would be better.

walleye, Dec 11, 2004
3.43/5  rDev -5.2%

This was a fairly big purchase for me. I don't usually spend $14 on a beer, but when I do I am usually blown away. This was not the case with this purchase.

Poured a nice deep brown color that made my mouth water with a crown of light fizzy foam.

Light sweet hints of maltiness and coffee scent.

Was a smooth beer going down, but nothing to write home about. Didn't really get that chocolate or coffee or malty kick I was expecting. It was like a watery bock. Too bland for me.

I was dissapointed in this beer.

dippy, Dec 07, 2004
3.83/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

OOOhhh, desert in a glass. This beer can be taken many different ways. By style it has its flaws, as the last beer of the night or the first after dinner, its very nice.
the color is almost black with a thick brown head.
The aroma is bursting with chocolate and candy, like snickers.
The body is thin for a bock but not overly so. The sweet malt charecter is borderline cloying due to some other flavors of apple and chocoalte candi instead of bittersweet chocolate. Its not as clean as a typical "lager", which a bock should be. That said, I thought it was perfect for after that big ass turkey dinner I just had. It has some "fudge" quality instead of chocolate. Had 2 last night before moving on to something else. This beer is WAAYYYY better on tap than in the bottle, and fairly priced too. the bottles on the other hand... well you make your own judgement there.

UncleFrank, Dec 06, 2004

I'm pretty shocked to see nobody else gave this beer a 5. I'm also surprised at some of the bad reviews. this is an exceptional beer. so what if the alcohol content is only 5.6%? and the price is $15, this inst a beer meant to be drunk every day. it's made for a special occasion. If you want raw alcohol drink 25 bud lights, you wont get anywhere near the taste but you will get a lot of alcohol.the taste is blended just right so you know it's beer but you know it's a different beer. It's a "chocolate bock" it will be somewhat sweet, get over it, it's not as if it was dark bock, you know it's sweet before you drink. The only question "is it too sweet?" and "is the beers flavor aside from the sweetness too low?" You don't want to have two distinct flavors so great that they compete with each other and i think the mixture Sam Adams came up with was good. It a beer with a coco taste. you taste both but neither totally dominates the other, although it may be a bit sweet for some tastes.

twi1609372, Dec 04, 2004
4.43/5  rDev +22.4%

Appearance of the bottle is one of two things that drew me to this particular beer i thought the metal label was rather unique. The other was I simply love Samuel Adams brew's.
After pouring this beer I smelled it and noticed that the chocolate and coffee scents really showed through. The head of the beer I found to be very frothy and had great head retention which both were nice atributes. The color was very dark very pleasing to the eye with it's brown hue.

The taste i found to be just simply incredible. The chocolate and coffee flavors I felt were well balanced and not over powering. Although it was not as stout or bitter as I expected from a bock it was very smooth and pleasing to the palate. Overall I highly recomend this bock for all it's atributes. Cheers

horshack7, Dec 04, 2004
2.83/5  rDev -21.8%

I bought this one right before thanksgiving thinking it would be a good dessert beer.

The aroma is definitely that of chocolate, like a nestle's kiss. It pours almost black with a thick creamy brown head that dissipated quickly leaving very little lacing. The taste is of milk chocolate also, but there is very little body to this beer. Almost like a chocolate soda. The carbonation is good, just no presence of body in this one at all. If you love chocolate you will probably enjoy this beer, but not a good representation of a bock at all.

Wolfsdenbrew, Nov 30, 2004
3.23/5  rDev -10.8%

I have seen this in the stores and I have always been curious.
Apperance: Lacing is nice, head retention is minimal. It is black in the glass, but when up to the light it has shades of amber and merlot.

Nose: unsweetened chocolate, syrup, thats about it.

Taste: Mostly the same as the smell. the chocolate is more pronounced in the taste. There is a lingering texture to it. It goes down like cough syrup at the end, but the body is not thick.

Notes: I was not as impressed with this as I thought I would be. It tastes like a nice bock. I didnt want nice for 15 bucks, I wanted great.

travolta, Nov 29, 2004
Samuel Adams Chocolate Bock from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)