Samuel Adams Chocolate Bock - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Chocolate BockSamuel Adams Chocolate Bock

good

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Bock |  5.80% ABV

(Beer added by: TinusTime on 11-20-2003)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Chocolate Bock Alström Bros
3.68/5  rDev +1.7%

Poured into a pint glass (thanks to my man from "buying" this from his work in FLA after it had "aged" (was hidden and forgotten about) since I left in '07) and poured a dark brown with a decent tan head and a lace ring. A strong chocolate malt taste along with some other sugary goodness and maybe caramel or honey, along with a hint of toasted malts. A fullish body beer, I was a little letdown that it wasn't overly chocolately but still a smooth, creamy beer with a decent cocoa taste along with
some other sweet malts taste with a passing backbite. I wouldn't pay what I should've ($13 for this?!?) but it is still a nice brew that everyone should try once.

4.53/5  rDev +25.1%

poured into a pilsener glass. pours dark chocolate brown with amber highlights and two fingers of light tan head. no lacings.

aroma is of caramel malts and chocolate malts, along with a base of roasted malts and light floral hops in the background. nicely concentrated.

taste is of caramel and roasted malts, with a lightly nutty character and a mild alcoholic note. finishes with residual chocolate and caramel.

mouthfeel is very smooth and silky on the palate with a creamy finish. excellent.

drinkability is good. this is a full flavored bock with a rich profile and solid proportioning. an excellent brew from the Boston Beer Company. cheers!

4.78/5  rDev +32%

WOW Dark chocolate color with red highlights and a tan head. Head doesn't stick around or leave any lacing, damn.

Smell is rich and chocolatey. Malt is hidden behind the cocoa aroma with no sign of alcohol or hops.

Man... it's like liquid chocolate. Strong chocolate presence as it warms. Pretty good and not overly sweet.

Goes down ultra smooth with a silky, milk chocolate feel.

3.78/5  rDev +4.4%

A: Moderate brownish off white head with some retention. Head is fluffy and appears almost gelatinous. Thin lacing appears and I dive into this exciting style which is new to me.

S: Almost all chocolate with hints of caramel

T: Erupts with sweet chocolate taste. Reminiscent of a "Tootsie Pop." It's a bit thin on the palate leaving me desiring a little something more. Palate taste makes me think of a German chocolate bar I once bought called "Milka"

M: Thinner than expected because I can't seem to find all of the maltiness I was expecting from a bock

D: Too sweet for me to drink more than a pint. Thin enough to physically handle more if I wanted though.

Notes: I don't have much of a sweet tooth. I do like chocolate but in very small doses spread out over months. I enjoyed this unique beer and will more than likely try it again.

4.95/5  rDev +36.7%

Poured from 750ml bottle into belgian style 'Cereal bowl' glass. Labeled best before May 2006

Appearance- Opaque, no head to speak of, reddish hue when held to the light. Minor lacing.

Smell- Chocolate and lactose sugar. Extremely chocolatey. This is candy.

Taste- Creamy chocolate with a good malty sweetness.. Oh, my, god. This is everything the hype has led up to on this beer. I want another full case. This is amazing.

Mouthfeel- Refreshing and chocolatey. This is a panty dropper for certain. Creamy chocolate and excellent balanced malt character.

Drinkability- Very. I could drink this for hours and the ABV reflects this. Wow. I need more and it's all gone. My friends are lucky I'm not a greedy man.

3.68/5  rDev +1.7%

This beer pours a deep opaque brown with nice tan head and decent lacing. Aromas are sweetish chocolate (No surprise there) and molasses. Tastes are a light malty chocolate / burnt caramel that explode in intensity when they reach the palate. Mouthfeel is a decent moderately thick and creamy one, and the finish is clean with a pleasant lingering aftertaste. A well crafted beer although a bit sweeter than my personal preference. The one negative I see to this beer is the price. Ar $14.99 per 25 oz. bottle I would guess that return buyers after the initial trial one will be seriously reduced.

3.33/5  rDev -8%

I am reviewing a bottle of Sam Adam Chocolate Bock that has been cellared. The bottle says "For Brewery fresh taste enjoy before March 2005." I was given this bottle by a friend and I have never had it fresh so I cannot tell how it compares. I can say that it has aged well. Considering it is only 5.6 %ABV, it has made it to this point in good shape. Very little oxidation in the flavor. In fact, the flavors in this beer have seemed to tighten up and smooth out well. Some distinct port/sherry flavors which I am sure is partly based on the style of bock, and partly based on age. Pours a deep brown with garnet hues when held to the light. Aroma is port wine, raisin, and prune. I get some chocolate in the aroma but not overwhelmingly so. Flavor wise, I definitely taste chocolate. I understand this comes from chocolate nibs added to the beer. I am not sure if I really like this type of flavor, but it is unique. It might be nice if they made an intensely choclatey beer using a really dark chocolate. Other flavors are typical bock beer flavors; raisins, cherry, fig. Little to no hop bitterness, but it is there in the far background. I have to give this a low drinkability score because it is a little too sweet and cloying. If the ABV were higher it might make the beer less cloying and enjoyable to drink. Otherwise it sits a little to heavy.

4.8/5  rDev +32.6%

Drank 2 bottles of this just 2 months after it expired. I heard it gets better with age.

Appearance - Dark chocolate color, lacing, nice foamy head.

Smell - malts, choclate, cocco, alchol ting to it.

Taste - Heaven, I love chocolate! hops and malt, taste. Goes down smooth.

Drinkability - I love this, can taste it like it was yesterday. top of my list. Hard to find, but I know it shows up here and there. Rumor was they were going to reproduce it but then heard another rumor that it was not true.

4.28/5  rDev +18.2%

Pours a deep brown mahogany color with a tall foamy light tan head before settling into a moderate lace. Nose is rich chocolaty malt with notes of cocoa and even a hint of pecan—a very lovely aroma. Taste is roasted malts with a bit of dark fruit and sweet milk chocolate blended nicely with bitter dark chocolate and lightly orange-citrusy hops. Makes for an excellent dessert beer, though $14.99 for a 750ml bottle seems a bit high.

3.38/5  rDev -6.6%

Tried a few tastes during the brewery tour a few years back. It was touted as more of a desert type brew and tasted like a cake. I did not love this offering.
A: Pours very dark much like Guiness in color and body

S: Coca and very sweet in the nose.

T: I will admit that my palate is not as fine as some but it was too heavy in body and very sweet. Not very beer like in my opinion.

M: Mouth was sweet and thick like a desert.

D: If your into porters and dark beers and like coca based beers then have at it. I was not blown away.

Presentation: A 750ml bottle that I traded for.

Smell: A distinct sweet milk chocolate aroma with hint’s of earth/smoke

Appearance: A dark brown almost black color with a head that disappeared quickly.

Taste: A highly sweet chocolate brew with a touch of bitterness.

Mouth-Feel: Is a dry low carbonation with a smooth finish.

Drink-Ability: Is definitely a beer to go along with a chocolate desert!

4.45/5  rDev +22.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Saved this 750 ml bottle for New Years eve and was not disappointed. Label said I should have consumed it this summer, but 5 months later there was noticeable affect to the flavor.

As other reviews point out, its a dark brown almost black color. The aroma is sweet like cocoa. Nicely carbonated. Popping the cap loosely on after each pour kept the beer bubbly for the hour or so it took me to drink three mugs full.

I would recommend sharing one of these big bottles with someone because it was almost too chocolately after a while. I think it costs around $14 a bottle so it should be treated and enjoyed like a decent bottle of wine. It was great after dinner and fun beer to celebrate with at the dawn of a new year.

3.73/5  rDev +3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

2004 bottle...
Decided to break this one open as a dessert beer.
A muddy, dark brown in color with less than 1/2 a finger of off white head...thin lacing.
Decent aroma with chocolate, caramel malt, molasses.
Taste is pretty good...a nicely balanced malt to hop to chocolate balance, not one winning out over the other. I expected this one to be a lot sweeter, especially after two years, but this is not the case.
It does start to take on more of a thin port-like quality with time and will most likely pick one up to try fresh.
Mouthfeel was on the thin side and the carbonation was perfect for me...really added to its drinkability. A special occasion brew and not one I'd reach for on any given day.
Still good.

3.63/5  rDev +0.3%

Had this at their Dec. 19th tasting. I hate to say it, but I was unimpressed. The real positive I could say is that once it warmed to about cellar temperature, the expected aromas and flavors started coming out.

This was served from a tap and was very cold, which masked a lot of the flavors and aromas. Even when they started coming out, it was a weak cocoa type flavor with the aroma being the same with a little raisin as well. The head was thick and the color was great.

This really reminded me of Michelob Amber Bock in both aroma and taste. It just seemed watered down and lacked a true body. I wouldn't go out of your way for it. I still love Samuel Adams and they have an incredible fan base. This won't shy me away at all, I'm sure they will make up for what the Chocolate Bock lacked in the next beer I try.

4.3/5  rDev +18.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Another impressive Samuel Adams.
Very dark beer with some reddish hues when held against a light.
Great sweet smell of roasted malts, hot chocolate and coffee.
Taste is impressive as well, with sweet chocolate, coffee, toffee and caramels.
Medium to heavy body, very tasty but a little too sweet to have more than one.
Will definitely get more of this one.

4.47/5  rDev +23.5%

Drank from a 1 pt. 9.4 fl. oz. bottle purchased at Connecticut Beverage Mart, New Britain, CT

Poured a pitch black with only hints of mahogany noticeable when held up the light. Nice, foamy two finger mocha head that faded to a thin film. Large patches of lingering lacing trickled down the glass.

Smell was outstanding. Rich and chocolatey, sweet and creamy with strong notes of vanilla and alcohol soaked raisins.

Taste was similar to smell yet not quite as intense. Milk chocolate came through strong with an intense malty richness and some brown sugar. Deep, roasted malts were also noticeable. A touch of hops in the finish helped to create some semblance of balance in this otherwise overwhelmingly sweet and malty brew. As the beer warmed dark fruits become apparent as well. Pleasant mocha aftertaste.

Mouthfeel was creamy and smooth yet a bit thinner than expected.

Drinkability was terrific. This beer tasted (and went down) like candy.

3.93/5  rDev +8.6%

The colour is black, the liquid is clear. The head is low and deep beige.

The smell got a distinct sweet flavour of milk chocolate.

The taste is also loaded with sweet chocolate. There is a touch of dry bitterness and a mild bitterness. The aftertaste got dry notes of cocoa and cooked fish (!). The body is quite low.

The mouthfeel is dry; the carbonation is low with medium sized bubbles.

A beer instead of a dessert? Yes!

4.05/5  rDev +11.9%

Romantically first sampled this on tap at the brewery tour finale, and have since had it in bottle around the fine Valentine holiday.

I only was able to try a pitcher of the beer at first, fresh off the tap. It is dark and rich in color. The smell off the glass is all chocolate. It went down smooth and was easier to drink than chocolate milk.

The first flavor explosion was chocolate. There is a hint of vanilla and coffee lingering on the tongue along with...more chocolate. I think it is a perfect compliment to a Valentine’s Day gift and/or something for a chocoholic. Liquid fudge w/ alcohol goodness, why it's the best of both worlds.

Much better on tap than aged in the bottle, but I have been remiss to see it anywhere but Jamaica Plains on the tap. Appears to sell well either way. Future plans with this would surround some kind of tasty dessert.

2.28/5  rDev -37%

Dark brown with a creamy brown head, little lacing. Strong powdered cocoa smell, but wasn't very impressive to me. Taste tasted like chalky powdered cocoa; someone else mentioned floury and a bit buttery, I'd have to agree. Light bodied, highly carbonated, pretty much the opposite of what I think would have paired good with this. Drinkability is low as I didn't even finish my portion of my glass. Glad the bottle was shared, would have been upset to have paid all 16 bucks to pour the rest down the drain. Overall, I think this might be right up some people's alley, so don't let my dislike discourage you. Probably worth a try, but I won't be buying it again. A not so good beer from a normally solid brewery.

4.03/5  rDev +11.3%

I am re-reviewing this beer because my previous review was written in January 2006 when the beer said to drink by May 2006. This beer came into my possession this summer from my girlfriend's mother who's husband would never drink it. As it turns out, this beer should have been drank by May 2005. I wondered if this would have gone bad or have aged. At 5.6% abv, I wasnt expecting much.

I tasted it again in a stange from a 750mL bottle.

The beer pours a clear brownish-black tinted all over with amber as the light hits it. The head is tan, quite fluffy with tight bubbles on the side the the glass. The head is rather large and leaves a good bit of lace as it decends down the glass. The smell is of roasted malts and chocolate. Not a bad nose, but pretty straight forward with those characteristics. Not overly complex. The taste also hits you first with the roasted characteristic but it seems with time (going by my previous review when my palate was less developed) that the chocolate flavor has been subdued. Additionally there is more of a traditional "bock" flavor to the beer. The taste is not necessarily better but it is different. The mouthfeel gives a decent body and nice carbonation, pretty good here. Overall, I think I actually enjoy this more with a bit of time on it. A pretty good beer and not a bad bock if you ask me. As a fresh beer though I am begining to think it is a bit more of a Munich Dunkel Lager though. This one also got a good bit better once it warmed

3.3/5  rDev -8.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours with large amounts of creamy, brown head slowly subsiding to a blanket on top of the beer. Deep brown body with garnet hues when held to light. Nice head retention throughout the drink.

Attempting to gather data by smell can be an exercise in futility with this beer. Do not serve cold as any aromas are almost non-existent. After warming, there is a luxurious chocolate smell. Predictably, the only real smell is sweet chocolate with a sweet lactose sugar punch.

The mouth is invaded with a rush of chocolate flavors. The chocolate taste is that of very high quality chocolates. Belgian or Romanian maybe? The are some sweet, malty qualities but nothing that screams bock. Hop presence is notable and it provides a touch of bitterness to balance what could be an overly sweet beer. Long, sweet finish with delicious chocolate, vanilla and lactose sugars similar to a milk stout.

Mouthfeel is viscous, creamy and very luxurious. The consistency of this beer is it's best quality. This brew is a pleasure to sip over a long period of time.

Drinkability is average at best. In short, this beer is very sweet and far too one-sided. Eight ounces would likely be an ideal serving. This would be ideal if split amongst four with a mild dessert.

Short take:
-Holy chocolate.
-Why so damn expensive?
-Why a 750 mL instead of say, eight ounces?
-Why must Jim Koch pick on bocks?
-Thanks Jim Koch!

3.58/5  rDev -1.1%

I picked up two 750 ml bottles from my local supermarket for $3.00 each last September. Looks like I scored a coup if this is still good. I had one Christmas 2005 and it was pretty decent. I have been a little reluctant to crack the 2nd one since the freshness expiriation was March 2005. Here we go...
The beer poured opaque black with a good long lasting tan head. Nose was initially strong of cocoa but is now a hint of sweet chocolate and the malts. Taste is pretty much in your face cocoa malts with a slight hop finish. Mouthfeel is surprisingly smooth and creamy when swirled. Drinkability is pretty good. This is definitely for chocolate lovers but personally it would be better if the cocoa was given a bit of a reduced role in the recipe. I am surprised the beer has held up and it is enjoyable.

3.6/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

The beer pours a dark brown color with a medium creamy head. A rich chocolaty malt smell. A strong chocolaty flavor that is sweet and clean. The beer has a smooth creamy feel with a nice finish. This is a strong beer and was not meant to be drunk fast. I would recommend trying it if you can find a bottle. Have it on a relaxed afternoon and drink it slow.

3.95/5  rDev +9.1%

Best Before May, 2006...
Appears a dark, black-toned brown with some red hued edges when held up to the light. A 2 finger tan head that slowly fades outs. Scattered spots and streaks are left around the glass.
Smell is of cocoa nibs, cream, vanilla, caramel, brown sugar, and Kahlua.
Taste is of the same aromas in a blend that is solid but not blowing me away for the $18 I paid for this earlier in the year.
Mouthfeel is chewy, smooth, medium bodied, sweet but not sticky, or cloying.
Drinkability...Deliciously smooth with a touch of sweet chocolate and a delicate caramelized malt. It is a bock but I'm stuck on where this stands overall. I was expecting a fine, after dinner treat and I guess that's where it would fall but it falls just short of greatness. In short, this could be done better. It almost reminded me of the base of the Kuhnhenn Raspberry Eisbock with much less complexity and no raspberry. Perhaps try a test batch of this with an upped abv, lager/freeze for a Chocolate Eisbock. Now that sounds appealing, no?

4.08/5  rDev +12.7%

New review of a fresh example. Thanks again, Robb, for looking out for me.

Appearance: The beer poured a really deep dark garnet color that I thought was hazy at first, but it was later evident that it was because of a bunch of bubbles rising. The head fell within a minute or so, but stayed a persistent layer across the top of the beer for some time.

Aroma: The aroma is dominated by the chocolate. It has a bit of sweet caramel malt there to give it some extra girth. There is a slight fruity thing going on to give it an aroma that is more like a piece of chocolate candy.

Taste: The flavor is also dominated by chocolate and it gives it a dry edge at the beginning of the profile. There is quite a bit of body to this beer and the chocolate gives it more of a silky edge in the finish. The finish also has a bit of a fruity edge to it as well as some bitterness that I believe is from the dark malts.

Opinion: Even though this beer is really drinkable, I almost wish that it would have a bit more body in the finish. The chocolate is a bit too strong for the supporting flavors that it gets. Still this is a nice beer to drink if it was more reasonably priced. Nice bottle, but it is a bit over presented for the beer that it actually is.

Samuel Adams Chocolate Bock from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)