Samuel Adams Chocolate Bock - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Chocolate BockSamuel Adams Chocolate Bock

good

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Bock |  5.80% ABV

Beer added by: TinusTime on 11-20-2003

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Chocolate Bock Alström Bros
3.23/5  rDev -10.8%

"Your chocolate is in my Bock!" "Your Bock is in my chocolate!" Two great tastes that go great together? Well, kind of...

Deep reddish brown with a creamy head. Looks good...
Coffee, mild sourdough and dark chocolate smells. Tastes basically like chocolate soda, a good chocolate soda but just too much. It is March 2005 after all, maybe it gets sweeter with age (I remember having this on tap before at Extreme Beer 2004 and I don't remember the chocolate flavor being this strong.) A bit of coffee in the finish, a little chewy in the mouth but this works, a chewier mouthfeel would turn this into a very expensive Hershey bar.

Pretty good beer, a fun experiment, even better at $4.50pint on tap (hell, that's cheaper than a bottle by a large margin.) Good for a pint, but too much would send me to WonkaLand.

2.93/5  rDev -19.1%

Dark brown in appearance, chocolate and coffee by scent...pours with a fizzy, tan head. Looks like your typical porter poured at the local pub.

The flavor is thin and not at all what I was expecting. I was hoping for a rich, hearty, semi-chewy punch. What a receive is mostly an off-coffee note with some weird, sugary, citrusy twang in the finish.

I think, overall, this brew fails as a bock. I would consider this more along the lines of a fusion/experimental beer. It has the presence of a porter and the flavor of a dark lager that has been adulterated with a shot of espresso.

It's okay for an after dinner drink. But I think there is better out there for your tastebuds and your wallets.

3.94/5  rDev +8.8%

Interesting. It’s definitely different, but is the difference good? Pours a deep brown under a fluffy but transient tan head with dark flecks. Smell is rather subdued, slightly bitter for a bock, with Droeste cocoa highlights. Taste is fine, perhaps a little too much coffee roast. Probably should have been a little less bitter to work better with the chocolate.

3.78/5  rDev +4.4%

Dark ruby-brown color, excellent head leaving rings of lace

Creamy milk chocolate aroma; slight alcohol smell, some earthiness as well, very little hop.

Very sweet like most bocks. Tastes like an over-malted porter. Strong alcohol oiliness. Up front, the chocolate predominates, but soon raisin and brandy flavors come through. A notable hop bitterness becomes present in the swallow. The aftertaste is nearly all sweet malt and alcohol warmth.

I think price is an important consideration here. My bottle was $16 for just under 24oz. This is a good beer, but not a spectacular one. Taste someone elses and purchase something equally creative at half the price.

4.04/5  rDev +11.6%

Even though this said it was a chocolate bock I was still expecting a stout or porter flavor. The aroma had a nice amount of chocolate and fruity bock aroma. I found it for $10 a bottle which seems about what it's worth. While I'm not a big chocolate fan the chocolate in the beer was done nicely. It's nice and complex without being too sweet. Overall I'd recommend picking up a bottle if you get the chance.

4.56/5  rDev +26%

Decided to open this up while serving dessert while some friends were over. Ruby brown in color, with a short spotty head. Aroma is a wonderful combination of chocolate, coffee, raisin, plum, and mild alcohol. The flavor is an exceptional balance of roasted malts, huge chocolate, mild coffee, and a wonderful nuttiness. Nice sweetness, but note overly so.

The mouthfeel is smooth, and the chocolate rides the tongue long. Medium / heavy in body, extremely drinkable dessert brew. Worth seeking out.

3.91/5  rDev +8%

I looked up Scharffen Berger, the beer chocolatier here, and discovered the reason for the $13-$14 bottle. That's some pretty expensive chocolate they make! Sam Adams, of course, is pretty cheap stuff (and probably making a nice profit on this "Limited Edition Brew").
Scharffen did a nice job of putting his chocolate in Sam's beer...or Sam did a good job of putting his beer in Scharffen's chocolate....because this here's a pretty drinkable chocobock (those gals in Shonen Knife would probably like this, come to think of it).
It's dark brown (like Godiva liquor) but doesn't have that much of a smell (or have I just got too much mucus in my nose to smell it?....oh, that's gross, I know).
I'm drinking the entire 1pt 9.4fl oz, so "poohey" on those who say it's only for sipping. I'm CELEBRATING! Dammit! I can't tell you why, but it's a good day for me.
I wish I had an Andechs Dopplebock, but the syrupy, chocolaty, semi-sweet rich chocolate bock does the job just fine.
It costs a bit, and it isn't equal to most beers in it's price range, but it IS a good beer....drink it with that in mind.
(Best before March 2005 Brew - I'm drinking it in February 2005)

3.62/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This one pours a very dark, almost black, ruby with a dense khaki head. The aroma is heavy with cocoa and a touch of dark chocolate. There’s a sticky sweetness in the flavor, but it refrains from becoming cloying. The body is slightly sticky. It’s rich and dessert like, but seems to be a little lacking in complexity.

4.55/5  rDev +25.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

A very fine beer. This chocolate bock pours a nice dark color. A good size head forms and lasts. The smell is pleasing: sweat malt and hints of chocolate. The taste is nice: nutty and slightly chocolate. Smooth mouth feel, Certainly a beer to be worth searching out and enjoying.

3.53/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Unwrapped the foil and stood dumbstruck as a golden ticket was revealed with this one on 1/15/2005. 16-oz. pour (probably should have asked for a 10-oz. pour) at the Sunset.

Jackson Pollock frag of thin, barely covering head. Dark, caramel hue with just a touch of light at the point where the glass tapers. Boil, boil, toil and trouble cooked chocolate on nose with a tremulous malt underpinning. Roasted punch on mouth, with a creamy chocolate veil that embraces the flailing malt. Had a bottle a year ago, when first released, and was not impressed, yet this draught offering surprised me – more compelling than its progenitor.

4.45/5  rDev +22.9%

Served on tap at the Snakebite bar by accident (sam adams sent them the wrong kegs: lucky me!!!) Pours an opaque black color with a tiny white head about a quarter inch thick. Aromas are deeply of chocolate, cocoa, and a hint of roastiness. Initial flavors are quite chocolatey, with tones of toffee and coffee and a bit sweetness in the mix. Overall mouthfeel is very smooth and creamy, almost like a giant milkshake. In the middle there are hints of caramels, roastiness, and molasses but there is absolutely no astringency present from the malts, which makes this brew quite smooth. The finish and is as sweet and chocolately as the beginning and truly reminds me of an alcoholic chocolate milkshake. As for drinkablility I feel like I could have 20 of these and just not notice, because there is no astringency and a lot of cocoa and chocolate like flavors.. A nice offering on draft!

This was a Christmas gift from my main man, fellow hockey-playing and bier-drinking bro, Artied2.
This bock pours clear, and is a deep, richly hued mahogany/chestnut. Topping the brew is a 1/2" tan, creamy smooth head, though it thins rapidly to a fine layer of bubbling. No real lacing to speak of. Nose is malty, like caramel and crystal, with light sweetness and a light hop touch. Chocolate is quite subdued. This bock has a solid medium body, though I wish it were fuller like other bocks. There's some carbonation on the tongue, but it's more of a bubbly feel as opposed to being prickly. Flavor has plenty of mild sweetness, with savory caramel maltiness and light roasty touches. Not quite near the rich flavor of Sammys Doppelbock, though. Floral hops are present and meld nicely with the malt flavors near the finish. Chocolate is there, though quite subtle. I'm glad for that, as I was concerned this would be a bier/choco milkshake kind of combo. A tasty bier, all-in-all (though quite pricey, from what I hear). Thnx again, Bro!

Prosit!!

overall: 4
appearance: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | mouthfeel: 4 | drinkability: 4

4.32/5  rDev +19.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Hrmmmm.... Dark chocolate color with red highlights and a tan head. Head doesn't stick around or leave any lacing, damn.

Smell is rich and chocolatey. Malt is hidden behind the cocoa aroma with no sign of alcohol or hops.

Man... it's like liquid chocolate. Strong chocolate presence as it warms. Pretty good and not overly sweet.

Goes down ultra smooth with a silky, milk chocolate feel.

Super drinkable but definately something that isn't a daily drinker(especially for the price). Happy New Year!!

4.25/5  rDev +17.4%

Picked this up as a christmas present for my lady. Wonderful person that she is, she decided to split it with me.

I liked this beer quite a bit, much more than I thought I would. Others on this site disagree, but to me it tasted better than the bottle of celebrator I had a few days ago.

Appearance: roasted nut brown. borders on black, but quite brown when the light shine through. Pour produced almost no head; the only head I get comes from the chimay logo etched in the bottom of my chalice.

Smell: Alcohols, roasted caramel and nuts, perhaps the slightest hint of chocolate

Taste. The best 5.6 ABV beer I have had in a long time. Very complex. When cool their is a stout-like roasted flavor which gives way to chocolate undertones and slight bitterness. As it warms molassess and carmel flavors are brought out, but never in excess. Once it approaches room temp, something is lost, the sweetness begins to dominate. Alcohols come out, which is pleasant, but so does a bitterness which is not right in this beer.

Mouthfeel: Right thickness, slight tingle, fun to roll around on your tongue. Always have a hard time coming up with something to say here.

Drinkability: If price where not an issue, my fridge would consistently be stocked with this beer. But an $13 a 750, I can't afford to. My first five in drinkability. My reasons
1. Its darn tasty.
2. The tastes are not ones that will overwelm your pallete quickly, as hops do.
3. at 5.6 ABV, you could drink quite a bit of this

Seek this one out, and forgive Sam Adams for making a Light beer.

2.55/5  rDev -29.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

On tap at the Muddy Pig.
Served in it's own classy tulip-type glass, Chocolate Bock has an impressive appearance, fully, impenetrably black, with a fine, upstanding toasted tan head.
Aroma is fine as well, with hefty cocoa character wafting out of the glass.
Taste starts out good, nice chocolate, very malty, hints of fruit, but the body gives way after a while, and the finish becomes syrupy sweet, leading to an odd, medicinal tang, that stays too long on the palate, and ultimately repels. The first half of every gulp is good, but it ends badly, molasses meets Robitussin.
I was glad to find this on draft, for their was no way I would spend $15 on a 22 ounce bottle of this, fancy package or ingredients or no, especially not after the first reviews came in...a sample off the tap would be more economical. (And now that I had it, I doubt I could enjoy finishing a bottle.) I was not prepared, however, for the Muddy Pig prices. Six bucks?!? YOW!
One firmly in the "No, thanks" column for me.

4.35/5  rDev +20.2%

12/21/04- On tap at the Toronado in San Francisco, CA

Presentation- Served in a La Chouffe tulip glass.

Appearance- 3/4 inch creamy white head, nice deep brown-blackish color. Lacing was a bit hard to come by though.

Smell- Hints of chocolate and caramel. Not a huge chocolate smell though.

Taste- Whoa! Wasn't expecting this much chocolate after the sniff. Huge chocalate taste here. Kind of a combo between dark and milk chocolate. Maybe like cocoa but cool rather than warm. I'm liking this!

Mouthfeel- Tiny bit of carbonation is all that keeps it from a 5. Goes down super easy like a milkshake. Fairly thick as expected.

Drinkability- I could drink these all night long because of the low alcohol content. This is a winner in my book. The bottle price tag is outrageous though. $14 for a 500ml? JOKE! It's not that good. This stuff aint Cantillon or Dues. But, on tap for $3.50 for 12 ounces...you got yourself a deal every time.

3.55/5  rDev -1.9%

Decided to spend the $14.95 and buy a sample of this brew given how i have liked other chocolate beers from other brewers.

Appearance was very dark black and let no light through. A think tan head formed that lasted the length of the sample and left mild lacing only when slightly agitated.

Smell was that of chocolate, coffee, toffee, and carmel. Rather inviting and closely resembled that of their cream stout.

Taste was very chocolatley. Much more so that the Young's or Brooklyn IMO. This was nice at first, but a chore to finish the samle. Hence the slightly lower drinkability rating.

Mouthfeel was very heavy and resembled the nature of the taste. Thick and creamy, not bad in the least, but very hearty.

Drinkablity, as said, was a little tough because it was a bit too chocolatley that it detracted just a bit from the taste of the beer to almost being a fermented hershey bar.

Not a bad brew, but i certainly prefers other in the same style more so than this offering from SA.

4.03/5  rDev +11.3%

On draught at Winking Lizard. More reasonably priced than the bottled version. Dark brown color with a medium thin and foamy beige head. Thin and sticky lacing. The aroma is mainly chocolate and cocoa, with a hint of malt. Medium-bodied and smooth with a semi-sweet chocolate flavor. Light hops balance the sweetness pretty well. The finish is mildly sweet chocolate with a hint of coffee. Enjoyable.

4.07/5  rDev +12.4%

An interesting beer to say the least. The beer poured a dark brown color with a nice tan head that faded quickly and left a nice pillow of foam on the top till the last drop. The smell was very good especially as the beer warmed with a wonderful dark chocolate and cocoa scent. The flavor was good too with a healthy dose of sweet chocolate at first, then the malt kicked in followed by a slight hoppiness and a dry dark chocolate finnish and aftertaste. The beer is kind of one dimentonal, but what do you expect from a beer claiming to have a large chocolate flavor? I dig it but I would never buy it again at it's current price point.

4.38/5  rDev +21%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The beer poured a nice dark brown color with nice ruby hues when held to the light. There was also a nice ring of head over top of the beer. The nose was chocolate, caramel and a slight raisin note as well. The flavor was full on chocolate, with some creamy marshmellow tones, something like a hot chocolate in beer form. The feel was nicely moderate and smooth, with an almost velvety feel. Drinkability was big. A nice easy drinking beer that went down with no problems at all.

3.7/5  rDev +2.2%

As a chocolate lover, I was immediately drawn to this beer on the shelves at a vendor in Hunt Valley, MD even though the price of $15 threw me back a bit. The bottle was armed with a great pewter-like badge stating "Samuel Adams Chocolate Bock". The beer was consumed at room temperature. The presentation is a dark amber with larger-than-average white head while the nose is sweet chocolate and raisins. The chocolate flavor dominates with light roasted malt which lingers into the aftertaste but it isn’t as present as I’d desire; nonetheless, it causes me to seek the flavor again and again after every sip. I find myself chasing the flavor and feel somewhat underwhelmed by the sturdiness of the body. This beer is certainly worthy of praise but the price smacks me into regression.

4.2/5  rDev +16%

The bottle will have a great second life as an art piece or a flower pot for the kitchen table. I purchased this for a friend as a Christmas present. Being of good heart, she let me try some.

This poured almost pitch-black. A medium-sized off-white head formed quickly, and it stuck around for a while, inviting me to taste it. The predominant scent was cocoa, enhanced by the fact that I got foam on my nose. It tasted very similar to a chocolate stout, only somewhat lighter in body. There was just the slightest hint of hop taste as it hit my tongue. It went down smooth, and had a sweet chocolate aftertaste. It felt very pleasant in my mouth, not too bitter for my liking. Had it been my own bottle, I could have certainly drunk more. For a holiday party, one sampling sufficed.

If you're looking for a special-occasion beer, and are willing to spend upwards of $15 for the bottle, I highly recommend this beer. It will go well particularly with dessert.

3.56/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

from the bottle . shared this one with bieristgut. poured a dark ruby with a smal off white head. aroma, a nice comination of sweet and bitter chocolate,wine, malts, hops, caramel, dark molasses, alcohol, prunes. flavor chocolate covered cherries, like godiva, honey, malts,plums,raisins, brown sugar, a nice bitterness. hides the alcohol well.dry mouth feel and hints of licorice. but $15.00 is a little bit to much maybe 8 or 9 would be better.

3.41/5  rDev -5.8%

This was a fairly big purchase for me. I don't usually spend $14 on a beer, but when I do I am usually blown away. This was not the case with this purchase.

Poured a nice deep brown color that made my mouth water with a crown of light fizzy foam.

Light sweet hints of maltiness and coffee scent.

Was a smooth beer going down, but nothing to write home about. Didn't really get that chocolate or coffee or malty kick I was expecting. It was like a watery bock. Too bland for me.

I was dissapointed in this beer.

3.84/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

OOOhhh, desert in a glass. This beer can be taken many different ways. By style it has its flaws, as the last beer of the night or the first after dinner, its very nice.
the color is almost black with a thick brown head.
The aroma is bursting with chocolate and candy, like snickers.
The body is thin for a bock but not overly so. The sweet malt charecter is borderline cloying due to some other flavors of apple and chocoalte candi instead of bittersweet chocolate. Its not as clean as a typical "lager", which a bock should be. That said, I thought it was perfect for after that big ass turkey dinner I just had. It has some "fudge" quality instead of chocolate. Had 2 last night before moving on to something else. This beer is WAAYYYY better on tap than in the bottle, and fairly priced too. the bottles on the other hand... well you make your own judgement there.

Samuel Adams Chocolate Bock from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)