Samuel Adams Chocolate Bock - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Chocolate BockSamuel Adams Chocolate Bock

good

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Bock |  5.80% ABV

(Beer added by: TinusTime on 11-20-2003)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Chocolate Bock Alström Bros
2.5/5  rDev -30.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

On tap at the Muddy Pig.
Served in it's own classy tulip-type glass, Chocolate Bock has an impressive appearance, fully, impenetrably black, with a fine, upstanding toasted tan head.
Aroma is fine as well, with hefty cocoa character wafting out of the glass.
Taste starts out good, nice chocolate, very malty, hints of fruit, but the body gives way after a while, and the finish becomes syrupy sweet, leading to an odd, medicinal tang, that stays too long on the palate, and ultimately repels. The first half of every gulp is good, but it ends badly, molasses meets Robitussin.
I was glad to find this on draft, for their was no way I would spend $15 on a 22 ounce bottle of this, fancy package or ingredients or no, especially not after the first reviews came in...a sample off the tap would be more economical. (And now that I had it, I doubt I could enjoy finishing a bottle.) I was not prepared, however, for the Muddy Pig prices. Six bucks?!? YOW!
One firmly in the "No, thanks" column for me.

4.38/5  rDev +21%

12/21/04- On tap at the Toronado in San Francisco, CA

Presentation- Served in a La Chouffe tulip glass.

Appearance- 3/4 inch creamy white head, nice deep brown-blackish color. Lacing was a bit hard to come by though.

Smell- Hints of chocolate and caramel. Not a huge chocolate smell though.

Taste- Whoa! Wasn't expecting this much chocolate after the sniff. Huge chocalate taste here. Kind of a combo between dark and milk chocolate. Maybe like cocoa but cool rather than warm. I'm liking this!

Mouthfeel- Tiny bit of carbonation is all that keeps it from a 5. Goes down super easy like a milkshake. Fairly thick as expected.

Drinkability- I could drink these all night long because of the low alcohol content. This is a winner in my book. The bottle price tag is outrageous though. $14 for a 500ml? JOKE! It's not that good. This stuff aint Cantillon or Dues. But, on tap for $3.50 for 12 ounces...you got yourself a deal every time.

3.53/5  rDev -2.5%

Decided to spend the $14.95 and buy a sample of this brew given how i have liked other chocolate beers from other brewers.

Appearance was very dark black and let no light through. A think tan head formed that lasted the length of the sample and left mild lacing only when slightly agitated.

Smell was that of chocolate, coffee, toffee, and carmel. Rather inviting and closely resembled that of their cream stout.

Taste was very chocolatley. Much more so that the Young's or Brooklyn IMO. This was nice at first, but a chore to finish the samle. Hence the slightly lower drinkability rating.

Mouthfeel was very heavy and resembled the nature of the taste. Thick and creamy, not bad in the least, but very hearty.

Drinkablity, as said, was a little tough because it was a bit too chocolatley that it detracted just a bit from the taste of the beer to almost being a fermented hershey bar.

Not a bad brew, but i certainly prefers other in the same style more so than this offering from SA.

4.03/5  rDev +11.3%

On draught at Winking Lizard. More reasonably priced than the bottled version. Dark brown color with a medium thin and foamy beige head. Thin and sticky lacing. The aroma is mainly chocolate and cocoa, with a hint of malt. Medium-bodied and smooth with a semi-sweet chocolate flavor. Light hops balance the sweetness pretty well. The finish is mildly sweet chocolate with a hint of coffee. Enjoyable.

4.05/5  rDev +11.9%

An interesting beer to say the least. The beer poured a dark brown color with a nice tan head that faded quickly and left a nice pillow of foam on the top till the last drop. The smell was very good especially as the beer warmed with a wonderful dark chocolate and cocoa scent. The flavor was good too with a healthy dose of sweet chocolate at first, then the malt kicked in followed by a slight hoppiness and a dry dark chocolate finnish and aftertaste. The beer is kind of one dimentonal, but what do you expect from a beer claiming to have a large chocolate flavor? I dig it but I would never buy it again at it's current price point.

4.4/5  rDev +21.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The beer poured a nice dark brown color with nice ruby hues when held to the light. There was also a nice ring of head over top of the beer. The nose was chocolate, caramel and a slight raisin note as well. The flavor was full on chocolate, with some creamy marshmellow tones, something like a hot chocolate in beer form. The feel was nicely moderate and smooth, with an almost velvety feel. Drinkability was big. A nice easy drinking beer that went down with no problems at all.

3.68/5  rDev +1.7%

As a chocolate lover, I was immediately drawn to this beer on the shelves at a vendor in Hunt Valley, MD even though the price of $15 threw me back a bit. The bottle was armed with a great pewter-like badge stating "Samuel Adams Chocolate Bock". The beer was consumed at room temperature. The presentation is a dark amber with larger-than-average white head while the nose is sweet chocolate and raisins. The chocolate flavor dominates with light roasted malt which lingers into the aftertaste but it isn’t as present as I’d desire; nonetheless, it causes me to seek the flavor again and again after every sip. I find myself chasing the flavor and feel somewhat underwhelmed by the sturdiness of the body. This beer is certainly worthy of praise but the price smacks me into regression.

4.22/5  rDev +16.6%

The bottle will have a great second life as an art piece or a flower pot for the kitchen table. I purchased this for a friend as a Christmas present. Being of good heart, she let me try some.

This poured almost pitch-black. A medium-sized off-white head formed quickly, and it stuck around for a while, inviting me to taste it. The predominant scent was cocoa, enhanced by the fact that I got foam on my nose. It tasted very similar to a chocolate stout, only somewhat lighter in body. There was just the slightest hint of hop taste as it hit my tongue. It went down smooth, and had a sweet chocolate aftertaste. It felt very pleasant in my mouth, not too bitter for my liking. Had it been my own bottle, I could have certainly drunk more. For a holiday party, one sampling sufficed.

If you're looking for a special-occasion beer, and are willing to spend upwards of $15 for the bottle, I highly recommend this beer. It will go well particularly with dessert.

3.55/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

from the bottle . shared this one with bieristgut. poured a dark ruby with a smal off white head. aroma, a nice comination of sweet and bitter chocolate,wine, malts, hops, caramel, dark molasses, alcohol, prunes. flavor chocolate covered cherries, like godiva, honey, malts,plums,raisins, brown sugar, a nice bitterness. hides the alcohol well.dry mouth feel and hints of licorice. but $15.00 is a little bit to much maybe 8 or 9 would be better.

3.43/5  rDev -5.2%

This was a fairly big purchase for me. I don't usually spend $14 on a beer, but when I do I am usually blown away. This was not the case with this purchase.

Poured a nice deep brown color that made my mouth water with a crown of light fizzy foam.

Light sweet hints of maltiness and coffee scent.

Was a smooth beer going down, but nothing to write home about. Didn't really get that chocolate or coffee or malty kick I was expecting. It was like a watery bock. Too bland for me.

I was dissapointed in this beer.

3.83/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

OOOhhh, desert in a glass. This beer can be taken many different ways. By style it has its flaws, as the last beer of the night or the first after dinner, its very nice.
the color is almost black with a thick brown head.
The aroma is bursting with chocolate and candy, like snickers.
The body is thin for a bock but not overly so. The sweet malt charecter is borderline cloying due to some other flavors of apple and chocoalte candi instead of bittersweet chocolate. Its not as clean as a typical "lager", which a bock should be. That said, I thought it was perfect for after that big ass turkey dinner I just had. It has some "fudge" quality instead of chocolate. Had 2 last night before moving on to something else. This beer is WAAYYYY better on tap than in the bottle, and fairly priced too. the bottles on the other hand... well you make your own judgement there.

I'm pretty shocked to see nobody else gave this beer a 5. I'm also surprised at some of the bad reviews. this is an exceptional beer. so what if the alcohol content is only 5.6%? and the price is $15, this inst a beer meant to be drunk every day. it's made for a special occasion. If you want raw alcohol drink 25 bud lights, you wont get anywhere near the taste but you will get a lot of alcohol.the taste is blended just right so you know it's beer but you know it's a different beer. It's a "chocolate bock" it will be somewhat sweet, get over it, it's not as if it was dark bock, you know it's sweet before you drink. The only question "is it too sweet?" and "is the beers flavor aside from the sweetness too low?" You don't want to have two distinct flavors so great that they compete with each other and i think the mixture Sam Adams came up with was good. It a beer with a coco taste. you taste both but neither totally dominates the other, although it may be a bit sweet for some tastes.

4.43/5  rDev +22.4%

Appearance of the bottle is one of two things that drew me to this particular beer i thought the metal label was rather unique. The other was I simply love Samuel Adams brew's.
After pouring this beer I smelled it and noticed that the chocolate and coffee scents really showed through. The head of the beer I found to be very frothy and had great head retention which both were nice atributes. The color was very dark very pleasing to the eye with it's brown hue.

The taste i found to be just simply incredible. The chocolate and coffee flavors I felt were well balanced and not over powering. Although it was not as stout or bitter as I expected from a bock it was very smooth and pleasing to the palate. Overall I highly recomend this bock for all it's atributes. Cheers

2.83/5  rDev -21.8%

I bought this one right before thanksgiving thinking it would be a good dessert beer.

The aroma is definitely that of chocolate, like a nestle's kiss. It pours almost black with a thick creamy brown head that dissipated quickly leaving very little lacing. The taste is of milk chocolate also, but there is very little body to this beer. Almost like a chocolate soda. The carbonation is good, just no presence of body in this one at all. If you love chocolate you will probably enjoy this beer, but not a good representation of a bock at all.

3.23/5  rDev -10.8%

I have seen this in the stores and I have always been curious.
Apperance: Lacing is nice, head retention is minimal. It is black in the glass, but when up to the light it has shades of amber and merlot.

Nose: unsweetened chocolate, syrup, thats about it.

Taste: Mostly the same as the smell. the chocolate is more pronounced in the taste. There is a lingering texture to it. It goes down like cough syrup at the end, but the body is not thick.

Notes: I was not as impressed with this as I thought I would be. It tastes like a nice bock. I didnt want nice for 15 bucks, I wanted great.

4.33/5  rDev +19.6%

Wow $14..99 a bottle well I guess you do what you gotta do,pours darn near black with a big rocky head that amazingly left no lace (would have gotten a near perfect score if it did).Big chocolate aroma to be expected seemed to be more of a milk chocolate than cocoa with a light orange note,alot flavor melding going on here of course a big dose of chocolate I also picked up a hint of smoke in there finishing very earthy and nutty very nice.Did not seem to be overly thin like others have said seemed right on to me,extremely drinkable and goes well with my wifes chocolate pecan pie but the that price is scary.

2.93/5  rDev -19.1%

Dark brown almost black with a decent creamy brown head that leaves some lacing. Sweet dark chocolate aromas, buttery chocolate flavors, medium bodied with a soft and creamy mouthfeel, finishes a bit too sweet, overpriced for what it is, I was disappointed.

2.08/5  rDev -42.5%

Medium brown body shows red hints and wears a thin beige head. Lactic chocolate paired with honey cough candies nose. Also has an understated minty presence. Taste is buttery, lightly tart and incredibly sweet, sugary in fact with hints of flour, butter, cacao powder. I had trouble finishing my ~100-125mL portion, I can’t imagine going through a whole bottle. Thin-medium bodied, powdery texture, light carbonation. Nope, this is bad stuff.

3.63/5  rDev +0.3%

Appearance: Dark brown opaque body with a tinge of red highlights; small bone colored head with modest lacing

Smell: Chocolate nose, slightly burnt

Taste: Sweet chocolate that lasts for a long time and transforms in the mouth with a touch of bitterness in the middle; as the beer warms to room temperature, more of the bitter flavors come through, which make for a much better drinking experience

Mouthfeel: A bit thin for a beer so rich; very modest carbonation

Drinkability: Awfully tough to consume a bomber of this stuff; share it or you'll get sick of the sweetness.

Way too overpriced for what you get. I bought it once for the novelty but wouldn't purchase it again. Sure don't understand why Sam Adams would market a beer that is not conducive to repeat purchase.

3.58/5  rDev -1.1%

Saw this on tap and I wasn't aware that it would be and having procrastinated and not tried the bottled version I sprang for it.

Served much too cold by Old Chicago - I let it sit and warm to sub-arctic temperatures.

What can I say? Bock is meant to be drunk, it is meant to revitalize and this one certainly does that. No roasted notes to speak of, plenty of chocolate malt though. The beer is silky smooth and finishes just a tad too sweet - maybe a touch more alcohol would have balanced this out a bit. At the beginning of the glass I was in love with the wonderful interplay of chocolate malt and real chocolate flavor. By the end of the glass I hd decided that one is enough.

To sum it up - this beer would be great with a touch more balance from alcohol or a little more bitterness. The silky smooth mouthfeel is nice but not more-ish. I would only drink one, just as I wouldn't sit down and have a session with chocolate shakes.

4.15/5  rDev +14.6%

Appearance: The appearance was a nice redish brown typical bock look. There was not a good head however.

The smell was somewhat chocolaty but not as much as I expected. It was pretty sweet though.

Taste: Burnt chocolate, smooth, little hop flavor but good.

Mouthfeel: Creamy and smooth. Nice carbonation for the style.

Overall I think that Sam pulled off a nice beer but they need to relax on the price. I will take a smaller bottle and a paper label for a cheeper price.

2.45/5  rDev -32.3%

To begin, I never read reviews here before sampling something new. I like to maintain a fresh, unbiased opinion. However, this beer promised more as it had a whispered reputation, hard-to-find availability and came in an imposing black bottle with a faux-pewter label/plate and a hefty $16 price tag. (If I read the reviews first, I probably wouldn't have bought it.... naah, I'll try even the bad stuff once.)

Enough commentary, on with the review: Pours a deep dark brown with a light bone head. Nose is of dark malt and faint spices with some cocoa elements, not as strong as expected. Perhaps this held promise after all.

Taste is refreshingly not a sugary-sweet chocolate drink. Dark sweet malt base, to be sure, reminds me of a Salvator but with a hint of mocha or espresso added. A drier element of sorghum or baker's cocoa also comes out after a while. After about half the bomber, the flavors reduce to simply dark malty coffee with light sugar. By the end of the bottle, you're ready to swear off doughnuts for a year.

Mouthfeel is a little heavier than medium but not atypical for the style. Not cloying but still sweet with a bit of a dry powder texture which I had to take off points for. Certainly not bad but just too one-dimensional to either be great or to justify the hefty price tag. I’d rate only the first half good, the second half just average. Might be better served if sold as a sixer of 8-oz bottles, since a bomber is just a chore to finish.

Overall, a disappointment given its "limited edition" status, hype and price tag. A novelty if you must but there are better chocolate beers out there and certainly better values for the hard-earned beer dollar. Add a little coffee to a doppelbock and get the same impression but cheaper.

2.38/5  rDev -34.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

2004 vintage
Appearance: The bottle is definitely the best thing about this beer. As far as the beer itself, it's a dirty brown color with almost no light getting through. Dark brown head that dissipates quickly.

Smell: Smells of chocolate for sure, but very sweet.

Taste: Not very good at all. It definitely tasted of chocolate but it was way to sweet for me. The sweet chocolate mixed with carbonation and beer was not a pretty combination

Mouthfeel: Thin viscosity, and a bit too carbonated to me for a chocolate beer.

Drinkibility: Terrible. I could not even get through one glass which is a shame considering the amount of money i spent on the bottle. It's just way too sweet.

3.45/5  rDev -4.7%

pours out a dark and ruby tinged garnett colour, with an inch tan head that dissapates quite quickly. there is a bit of lace as i sip, but not much. the aroma is quite pour...just for the fact that there is basically no aroma save for a fleeting hint of chocolate candy bar. upon tasting....whoa...lotsa chocolate...no confusing the flavour with anything else except a box of fine chocolate. and there is little else to the taste profile except chocolate...and a hint of bittering hops. the malt profile really has a tough time fighting through the scharffen berger chocolate. and i'm sure this was the intention. there is a nice little alcohol and spicy bitterness in the aftertaste that reminds me bit of the sammy doppel that seems to redeem this concoction...but just a little bit. the body and soul of this beer are hard to read under the chocolatey mask, and the mouthfeel is lacking. this idea of a true chocolate bock (or double bock) could have been brilliant had they amped up the beer to match the choco flavours. and jim koch and those boston beer guys would have been right to charge so much for a single big bottle. luckily i scored a few bottles for about $8 a piece.

for the price i paid, and the best by date of june 2004, this is an ok beer. for the exorbitant price and hype surrounding it...NOT worth it. unless money is no issue. regardless...this is a gimmicky beer and a marketing sham.

It had the color of a chocolate labrador retreiver (brown with a reddish tint). The head was light brown and foamy and lot of it. It smelled chocolately and spicy. There was a sweet chocolate taste, not bitter chocolate. Super smooth. There was a little aftertaste of roasted malt or something smoked. The mouthfeel was not too thin and not too thick. It was a good bock. Pricey.

Samuel Adams Chocolate Bock from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)