Sam Adams Light - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Sam Adams LightSam Adams Light

good

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Light Lager |  4.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-12-2001

to view more.
Ratings: 2,122 | Reviews: 835

I much prefer a non-light beer. Overall, though, It wasn't the worse beer I've had, but I'll stick with Boston Larger from now on.

2.25/5  rDev -30.8%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

um I guess best light beer

3.12/5  rDev -4%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

My "go-to" light beer (actually the only light beer I like)

3.82/5  rDev +17.5%

By far the best light beer I've ever had. I knew I could count on Sam Adams to succeed in making a light beer that has all the full flavor of a normal brew.

2.75/5  rDev -15.4%

not bad for a light beer but it is definitely not my go to beer. if i were to diet this would be a good choice.

4.03/5  rDev +24%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Great "light" beer. One of the better from the line.

3.88/5  rDev +19.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

This beer is pretty good.

3.06/5  rDev -5.8%

A: Nice orange color with large white quickly receding head

S: Good amount of malt, a little hoppiness , maybe some fruityness

T: Get the sweet malts up front, followed by a little hop bitterness and that fruityness at the end

M: Medium, really decent for a light beer

O: Really nice light beer. Will go with this over any other light beer that I have tried.

3.75/5  rDev +15.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I wish all "light" beers tasted this good... If forced to go light, this is the choice...

3.58/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I don't like Sam, but this is a light beer that is close enough to the non-light version, that it deserves credit in that respect.

4.2/5  rDev +29.2%

A good tasting light beer. Not tons of flavor but very smooth.

3.03/5  rDev -6.8%

Very little I can say about this brew. Tastes like most macros, a light beer with mostly barley in it's flavor.

Maybe a bit heavier overall, but really, my first thought was how much it tasted like a Bud Light.

Drinkable if nothing else is around.

Comparing this against light beers like coors light and Bud light, other Light beers. This stuff is way better. Decent flavor at a decent price. refreshing on a hot day

3.5/5  rDev +7.7%

This would be my go to lite beer.

4.43/5  rDev +36.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Very good and easy to drink. I've come to expect nothing less from Samuel Adams.

3.51/5  rDev +8%

Appearance - 3.75/5
An extremely clear amber-orange color. No head retention. Medium-large carbonation bubbles flow upward at a moderately quick rate.

Smell - 3.5/5
Traditional amber smell. Some sweet maltiness along with some alcohol flavor. The malty sweetness has perhaps a bit of a fruity aroma. Also, a bit of a lager-esque smell. I feel like I can smell the fact that the beer is going to be a little watered down (this might just be psychological though, since I know this is a light beer). Nothing special, but not bad.

Taste - 3.5/5
The first sip presents a distinct lager taste, but with a slightly sweet malty amber flavor. The taste is not extremely strong, which is to be expected from a 'light' beer. But the taste is definitely still present, and is refreshing. If you are looking for a light beer, this seems like it would be a good tasty option, much better than a Budweiser or a Miller Lite.

Mouthfeel - 3.5/5
The beer is definitely light in body, perhaps on the edge of being 'watery'. There is a light amount of medium carbonation. A little bit crispy. But not super crispy either. Overall, it seems like the mouthfeel is what's to be expected from a 'light' beer like this.

Overall - 3.5/5
I hardly ever drink light beers, so I actually found the lightness of the beer quite refreshing. I don't know whether or not this should be chalked up to this beer in particular, or rather just the genre. I am not well versed enough in my light beers to know how this compares to others. Still, I enjoyed this brew.

Weighting: Appearance 15%, Smell 15%, Taste 35%, Mouthfeel 15%, Overall 20%

3.73/5  rDev +14.8%

Cheap! Cheap! Cheap! Is how I got this single.

Serving Style : 12 oz bottle poured into glass. Best by May of 2014. So it's a little out of date, but hey, cheap beer!

Appearance (3.75) : Stable foamy 2 fingered head on top of a golden red wheat colored body. Opacity is about 40%. After a moment or two the head recedes to about 1 finger and stays there. Slight webbing of lace on the glass. All in all not bad for a light brewski.

Aroma (3.5) : Oats, barley, wheat. A heavy roasted malt aroma. Upon deeper whiff and slight imagination there's a faint hop smell to balance things out somewhat. Bouquet is medium strength.

Taste (4) : Definitely a light lager but a tasty one. This beer has no off notes, but instead has a robust yeasty body with malt character and very faint hop. For a light lager Sam Adams slams it out of the park. Real easy drinking, and tasty to boot. Finish is barley malts and wheat cracker.

Mouthfeel (3.5) : Fizzy, light bodied, slightly robust and creamy. Ends semi-creamy.

Overall (3.73) : This beer can be enjoyable no matter where you're at. It has enough flavor to compete with full flavored lagers, but trims the fat in all the right places. So many light beers taste like corn or nothing. This one has malt character and faint hop. I'm not going all the way to say it's the best beer in the world, but it just may be the best tasting light lager I've tried yet.

Hands down new favorite lite beer

The best light beer on the market.

3.27/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

A: Pours a crystal clear light amber in color with moderate amounts of active visible carbonation rising from the bottom of the glass fairly quickly and some faint golden yellow highlights. The beer has a half finger tall fizzy foamy light beige head that quickly reduces to a large patch of medium thick film and a thin ring at the edges of the glass. Light amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Light to moderate aromas of pale malts with some lighter rice + grain adjuncts. There is a light aroma of fruity yeast.

T: Upfront there is a light to moderate flavor of pale and lightly toasted malts with a touch of grain + rice adjuncts though they do not introduce much sweetness to the flavor of the brew. Light flavors of fruity yeast and just a touch of grassy hops contributing a touch of bitterness to the finish which does not linger for long.

M: Light to medium bodied with slightly heavier than moderate amounts of carbonation.

O: Definitely tastier than the majority of mass produced light lagers available in the US - especially those from the larger brewers. Nothing special but easy to drink, would probably be a good beer for on the boat or at the beach.

3.75/5  rDev +15.4%

Surprisingly true to the original taste for a Light beer. Crisp, distinctive flavor, a step above all other mass produced commercial light American lagers.

3.54/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Best by Aug 2014, poured into a pint glass

A- pours a clear dark golden color with an orange hue, small creamy white head that retains nicely, due to some carbonation bubbles shooting to the top

S- toasted cracker malt with a subtle bready sweetness, faint grassy hops

T- light bready sweetness continues into the flavor with hints of a cream ale, small traces of grassy hops mix with a bit of yeast, lightly toasted malt on the finish

M- light-medium body with moderate-but-biting carbonation lead to a foamy mouthfeel and a crisp and dry finish, high drinkability

O- the best light beer I've had to date, this certainly isn't a style that I enjoy often, but SA did a good job with this one

Poured from a bottle into a glass...

Appearance: Pours a beautiful golden amber with about a third of a finger of foamy head, nice lacing.

Smell: Caramel and roasty malt; some clove

Taste: Bready mixture of grains and caramel predominate at first, then a citrusy finish. Not unpleasant at all. As a beer overall, the taste is in the middle of the pack. For a light beer, this is top of the line. Basically, a slimmed down version of Sam Adams Boston Lager with less APV content and texture.

Mouthfeel: Light to very low medium bodied, normal carbonation. Refreshing.

Overall: It is hard to beat Sam Adams Light if you are looking for a quality light beer, but because of the price and my budget, I relegate this to being a rare treat.

2.95/5  rDev -9.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

When I first drank this beer (2003) back when I first discovered craft beer, I thought it to be an excellent light beer, but also a good beer all on its own without the "light" label. I was looking for a low alcohol session beer and thought to give SA Light a try again. This time around I was disappointed. It looks great with its amber color and thick head. To me it leaves a hard water dry aftertaste. That is all I seem to get from its flavor profile. For what I got and for what I paid ($9.19 a six-pack) I won't be purchasing this beer again. This is the first SA beer that I can say I did not care for.

3.75/5  rDev +15.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.5

Has good malty flavor. Very malt forward a little watery but for a light beer it has a ton of flavor. It tastes a lot like a Boston lager just a little weaker. I would recommend a beer like this to anyone coming for a BMc background. It is very good overall but for a light beer it is world class.

to view more.
Sam Adams Light from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)