Sam Adams Light - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Sam Adams LightSam Adams Light

Reviews by farHillsBrewer:
2.49/5  rDev -23.6%

Looks like a beer.
Tastes likea lite.
I don't know why lite exists.
There is a place for this beer.
Perhaps a step up for drinkers of other lites.
Give one to a budmillercours lite drinker, just to show there is a difference.
There is a momentary flash of flavor, but it is gone quickly and doesn't leave much behind.
Considering the lack of satisfaction, I felt bloated.

3.35/5  rDev +2.8%

appearance: This beer actually has some color to it. A very light amber coloration distinguishes itself from its other light brethen, with no real head forming in my glass. Might had been my extra careful pour. Overall not bad. 4\5

aroma: Their really isn't anything here that I like. It really just smells like your typical light lagger, with maybe some kind of odd hoping, but I cant place it. Even so, I really don't care for it. I was kinda hoping for a nice load of hop aroma. 1.5\5

taste: moment of truth...and...you know what, its really not that bad at all! Extremely neutral, light, with few flavors backing it up. Very grainy malt body dominates the flavor. The Trader Joes pilsner had far more hop characters to it, but then again, this is a light beer. Its not suppose to have a lot of hop character. Compared to Bud light, or platinum, seriously, I give this one a 4\5

mouthfeel: light with a heavy dose of carbonation, making it very spritzy and covering its very light body. 4\5

overall: This beer really was not made for me, but I'll be honest, I don't hate it. Id be happy drinking it for free at a friends house or at a party. Its easy to consume, and is not offensive at the least, and does count as a light lagger. That's impressive, as to make a light lagger inoffensive is damn hard. After drinking the entire glass, my final rating is... a 3.75\5.

Its not bad at all. I cant say that I like its aftertaste very much at all, but overall, the beer really is ok...especially for anyone who wants to indulge the fantasy of a “diet beer”.

3.53/5  rDev +8.3%

By far my favorite light beer pours a orange/gold color with light to mediium head,aroma is slightly bready like malt aroma.Taste has a good hop flavor for a light beer with a good malty smack in the finish.Good mouthfeel for a light beer as well,and can drink many of these without feeling full.Its a light beer take it for what it is.

Pours a not-so-light amber color. Smells like a macro (corn I believe). Tastes not at all like your daddy's light beer swill. It's actually not that bad, surprisingly. This might be a good choice for those buds who refuse to drink anything other than Coors Light.

2.85/5  rDev -12.6%

Clear golden, slightly amber pour with a fizzy small head that quickly fades to nothing. Eh. A spicy, herbal hop is apparent along with a sweet cereal grain aroma. The nose is really subdued and doesn't do much for me at all.

A mellow pale, slightly caramelly maltiness along with some sweet grains and a touch of herbal, spicy hops on the way down. An unoffensive brew that is still very pedestrian. If I HAD to drink a light beer...I would definetly choose this over anything else.

Mouthfeel is borderline medium bodied with much more maltiness than standard light lagers. This makes a good lawnmowing beer...which I am about to go do. Not something I'd ever pick up as "light" beer is pointless to me. However it was nice enough to try out of the mixed 12 pack.

2.73/5  rDev -16.3%

This isn't bad for a light beer. That being said, it's still a light beer, and has all my negative connotations associated with being a light beer.
It is an amber color with a medium-sized, but quickly disappearing, white head.
Not much for the aroma, mostly sweet malt.
Even less comes through in the taste, sweet, breadlike.
Not a beer I would seek out, but as part of the summer 12 pack, someone had to drink it.

3.78/5  rDev +16%

!2 onz amber bottle

Appearance : Light brown color with a pale creamy color head that looks really good.

Smell: Grainy and a light but very light sweet aroma.

Taste: Light bodied, maltiness is there in a very nice way,Hops are there present, a small caramel or sweet flavour.

Mouthfeel & Drinkabilty : Very easy to drink,feels nice in the mouth not wattery like light beer.

Notes; This beer can be a regular lager for other brand. Very nice label.

3.63/5  rDev +11.3%

Presentation: 12oz brown bottle with freshness date on the side.

Appearance: Bright, clear amber in colour with very active carbonation and a semi-sticky thin white creamy lace.

Smell: Soft metallic, grain and floral aromas.

Taste: A light bodied, dextrin malty sweetness starts this brew off, followed by grain notes, a smooth and creamy palate (fizzy, tight carbonation), a slighty dry crispness and background metallic and very faint caramel flavours. Hop flavour is soft with a mild citrus quality to it. Ends with a drying grain tannin feel and flavour.

Notes: This is a light beer that is sure to revolutionize the perception of light beers! Okay, no it's not ... and it's not even really a light beer. Sam Adams Light is full of flavour, colour and aroma at 128 calories (no different than most non-light beers) per 12oz serving. It's also made from two-row barley and 100% noble hops -- unlike other light beers that are chuck full of adjuncts and sometimes other icky things. In the light category, this is at the top, hence my rating, but as a beer this is something that I would not normally buy.

Just like the Boston lager, with a less prevalent taste, but the taste kicks in at the end. A good beer for when you don't want to get full. But still not as good as some of the other Sam Adams varieties. not bad if you just want a good beer but don't want to be filled up, or excessively drunk, still a better alternative than bud light.

3.23/5  rDev -0.9%

I tasted this on two occasions,once side by side with Miller Lite and Bud Light the second time with MGD and Coors. With the lights it stood easily on top, much darker color, much bolder aroma, and definitely a better taste. With the regular beers , this tasted very ordinary.I guess light is just light, there are beers that taste good for a light, but not lights that taste great as a beer

2.31/5  rDev -29.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

It's very light--totally translucent. The head, though it fizzles to near nothingness within a minute or two, really isn't too shabby (for a light beer). Not expecting much, I figure the head and some semblance of lacing makes this an above par look for the style.

The smell definitely ain't much, though I detect a distinct Sam Adams smell--maybe it's the two-row malt. Acknowledging I know basically nothing about noble hops, the beer certainly doesn't smell hoppy to me. For a light lager, it's got character but, at least for the odor, that Sam Adams distinctiveness is not a positive one.

Particularly for a light beer, I taste a bit more malt than I'd expect. There's undoubtedly that Sam Adams something in the taste as well. I don't want to knock it too much, but I don't really like it. The more I think about it, the more I think it's that two-row malt; if not, I maintain it's the same sorta substance I found displeasing about the smell. It's got character...but maybe I don't want character in a light lager.

It's fully carbonated--maybe overly so because the mouthfeel is really fizzy. I respect that it's homogenous--every aspect of this beer is the same with every sense you can use to experience it. It looks, smells, tastes, and feels the same throughout. Since there's that sole ingredient that seems to dominate the senses, and I don't really like it, the fizzy burst of it I get in the mouthfeel makes that the least enjoyable component of the beverage.

I bet this is a big seller, and I'm certainly not gonna knock Sam Adams just because it's readily available. I got this one in a summer variety pack, and I've enjoyed most of the beers out of that. Truth is, however, I'd prefer they leave this one out; furthermore, it's tough for me to contemplate a time when I'd pick Sam Adams Light over ANY beer. Maybe over the worst of the worst (read: Milwaukee's Best Light or King Cobra), but even then it might still be a decision.

3.6/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Pours a light amber color, very clear. Decent head that goes away pretty quickly. Minimal lacing. Smells of biscuity malts and a slight hop spice. A light beer that actually smells like beer! Taste is also great for a "light beer." Biscuity malts followed by a hop spice, some vanilla notes...almost like a watered down Boston Lager. Really terrific for a light beer, I must say. It doesnt have the usual off flavors that accompany the rest. Crisp, clean, and actually some flavor in there. Mouthfeel is light and fizzy. Clean finish. Very drinkable.

3.63/5  rDev +11.3%

One of the darkest light beers I have ever seen, one of the maltiest light beers I have ever tasted also.

3.5/5  rDev +7.4%

Drank the beer in a pint glass. Poured a deep amber color with very little head. Good carbonation. Surprised by the color.

The smell was pretty typical, but not for a light beer. It clearly had more body.

The beer was pretty normal. A little maltiness at the start and then a slight bitterness from the hops to finish it off. The body was much fuller than other lights.

As stated a couple times earlier in my review. It is not really your typical light beer. Of course it doesn't have the body or full flavor of other non-light beers, but for a light beer, it was surprising at how 'not light' it was.

Appearance: golden brown in color, clear, high carbonation, 1/3 inch head

Smell: honey, sugar, and toasted malt

Taste: toasted malt, honey, grass, and small sugar and hops in the background

Mouthfeel: light bodied, high carbonation, sweeter than I would expect with a slightly bitter back bone

Drinkability: Very good for the style and one of my favorites in the style. This does have elements of the taste I associate with Sam Adams. That being said, I am likely to go to other beer styles first and would pass it over if it were not in the variety pack.

The beer pours an amber color with a white head, considerably darker than the BMC light beers this is going up against.

The aroma has some biscuit malt to it, but it is also heavy on the grain. The flavor is more of the same. I get a little bit of grass from the hops, but the flavor is predominantly grain and bready malt, with just a little bit of toffee mixed in. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

Better than other light lagers such as Bud Light, but still not too much going on here. One of the weakest offerings from Boston Beer Company.

3.6/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

It's nice when you try a new beer and don't expect much out of it, only to be pleasantly surpised by how much you enjoy it. Such is the case with Sam Adams Light. Judging by many of the previous reviews, I was not the only one surprised.

To me, "Light" beer instantly conjures up images of rowdy football fans drinking watered-down, yellow-colored beer. Not so with SA Light. It's the color that leads me to think, "There's no way this is a light beer!" It poured a clear amber color with a small white head that laced nicely.

Taste is nothing earth-shaking, but it is important to remember that this is a light beer. Finishes with a clean and crisp effect.

Of course it's not as complex as other beers, but how does it compare to "_____ Light"? Very favorably, in my opinion. Finally, a light beer that really tastes good. This is a beer that could be my new "Quantity over Quality" beer for those rare occasions when I want to drink a bunch in one setting.

I wonder how big of an impact this beer will have on the public. On one hand, how many traditional light beer drinkers would try a SA product? On the other, do the beer lovers that like a complex, hearty brew look with disdain upon such an offering from BBC?

Perhaps BBC has created a new niche of beers. How favorably the public responds to it should be interesting.

3.43/5  rDev +5.2%

This is from the Brewmaster's Collection sampler case. Expiration date clearly marked on the case and on the bottle! Yay!!

Pours a brilliant light copper color, with a 1/2 finger head of white foam. Head quickly drops to islands and a ring, but lacing is nevertheless present throughout. It's amazing how Sam Adams beers always have good lacing.

Nice, light bready malts and faint but there spicy Noble hops in the aroma. Delicate smells, but for the style, pretty damn good.

Flavor is crisp and clean, not sweet at all. Slightly grainy pilsner malt, a matching level of hop bitterness, and peppery hops are all there in the taste. This is a light beer? Aftertaste is clean, dry, and short lived.

Mouthfeel is also crisp and clean, with a moderate level of carbonation across the tongue. Finish is crisp and dry.

As a drinkable beer, I need more complexity. As a light beer, this has to be one of the best. A very well made beer, and I would be willing to bet, not real well received among the light beer crowd. It has way too much going on for the beertards to enjoy. I like it!

3.53/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a bottle into a Sam Adams Glass.

Appearance: Light brown color with a thin white head, no lacing.

Smell: Grassy skunky notes with some hops.

Mouthfeel/Taste: Smooth light to medium bodied. Taste of mild hops, some sweetness to it as well, very light taste.

Overall: This is a great light beer, if I have to drink light this would be my first choice.

3.28/5  rDev +0.6%

Part of Sam Adams Summer Pack.

Serving glass: Poured from bottle into Pilsner glass.

Appearance: Rich gold with decent head. Very nice appearance for a light beer.

Smell: Grainy malts and slight noble hops.

Taste: Sweet grains with minimal hop presence. "Beer" aftertaste.

Feel: High carbonation, relatively light body but heavier than normal for style.

Drinkability: Very easy to drink but not exciting.

Obviously better than other light beers, but since I view this as a pointless category, I compare this versus the grand spectrum of pale lagers.

2.83/5  rDev -13.2%

This is better than a Bud Light, Milller Lite, and a Coors Light. Pours clear gold with a nice white head. Faint sweet nose of barley and goldings. It does have more caramel and hops in the taste, which sets it above its peers. Not worth the price, but I'll drink it if someone else put it in the cooler.

3.28/5  rDev +0.6%

12oz. brown bottle,poured into my SA glass. Best by Nov. 07
Very clear,brilliant amber/coppery color with a 1' white creamy head,dissapated a bit quick to a creamy coating. A few tiny bubbles staggered rising to the surface.

Very moderate aromas, kinda expected a bit more aroma. Light sweet maltiness with some herbal,perfumy hop notes. Had a bit og skunkiness to it. Haven't really smelled this before in a SA within the freshness date.

Light malty tastes,slightly toasty and sweet. very well balanced with a good sharp,clean bitterness. earthy and woody. has a bit of the skunkyness in the taste also.

Had more of a meduim bodied feel than a light. A good bit more than most light beers. Was a bit of a letdown. Expected just a bit more taste and aroma even for a light,afterall it's still a Sam Adams. Could have a few,just a teaser for me,makes me crave the real thing Boston Lager.

3.66/5  rDev +12.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

12oz bottle bottle poured into a plastic pint glass.

Pours a light ruddy brown color with a very thin white head. Nose is malty and sweet.

Taste is nothing like a light beer. It's malty and rich but a bit watery. Mouthfeel is creamy and sharp. Overall a great light beer

3.92/5  rDev +20.2%

Sam Adams Light opens with a yeasty malt aroma, smelling of sourdough bread and French baguettes, as well as wet wheat stalks and Grape Nuts Cereal. A few fruit esters, mainly apricot and orange, drift up through the bread-like aromas, as well as just a hint of hops and brown sugar. For a light beer, the aromas are surprisingly potent and delicious, and more resemble something I'd expect from a full-calorie brew.

On the tongue, the beer opens with a malt grain hit, full of toasted bread crusts, Grape Nuts cereal, and hay straw, with a hint of toasted nut providing a bit of earthiness. These flavors occupy the majority of the flavor profile, but are joined by slight touches of apricot and berry. Hops mainly provide a slight citrus counter. The aftertaste is more of the malt flavors--really just a continuation of the main mouthful--and fades with medium quickness. Mouthfeel is a watery medium-light, and carbonation is medium-high, biting at the tongue and soft palate.

Overall, and keeping in mind that this is a light beer, it's surprisingly good. It certainly wouldn't keep up with, say, a Dogfish Head, but it wasn't intended to. Sam Adams set out to provide the world with a flavorful light beer, and they did succeed; it's certainly in the top five of the light beers I've tried, and is leagues beyond any Anheuser-Busch light beer. This is not to say that the beer is without its flaws, for it does move too far in the direction of bread and grain flavors, and could use a bit more fruit and sugar (which, yes, would probably add calories) to help soften the flavor profile. But for a light beer, it's delicious: exactly the sort of fare I'd want with lunch after working outside on a hot day.

3.2/5  rDev -1.8%

12oz bottle poured into a pint. BB JAN 2013.

pours out a very clear light amber, deep golden color, about 1-2 finger fizzy white head off the pour that faded to nothing within a minute. lots of big carbonation bubbles rushing to the top. a deeper color than most light beers, but the total lack of head is a little disappointing.

bland aroma. mineral water, and a sweet slightly toasty grain. almost a hint of toffee.

mineral water, sweet toasted cereal grains, a slight lemon citrusy hop bite and then finishes crisp with hints of bitterness and grain flavor.

very light and watery, and perhaps a bit over carbonated, but crisp, refreshing, and very easy drinking.

better than most light lagers, but thats not saying much.

to view more.
Sam Adams Light from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)