Sam Adams Light - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Sam Adams LightSam Adams Light

good

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Light Lager |  4.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-12-2001)
Reviews by kinger:
2.95/5  rDev -9.5%

Probably one of the best "lights" on the market, I've had this a while back and as luck would find due one of these snuck into my Sammy's variety pack. Light malty aroma nothing wrong here, pours a nice light copper small head little left on the glass. Mouthfeel is fuller than most but still thin considering. Good taste, I prefer more but this is a light. If you are a worried beer drinker this may be for you, If you enjoy beer, spend your cash on the real thing.

3.45/5  rDev +5.8%

appearance: This beer actually has some color to it. A very light amber coloration distinguishes itself from its other light brethen, with no real head forming in my glass. Might had been my extra careful pour. Overall not bad. 4\5

aroma: Their really isn't anything here that I like. It really just smells like your typical light lagger, with maybe some kind of odd hoping, but I cant place it. Even so, I really don't care for it. I was kinda hoping for a nice load of hop aroma. 1.5\5

taste: moment of truth...and...you know what, its really not that bad at all! Extremely neutral, light, with few flavors backing it up. Very grainy malt body dominates the flavor. The Trader Joes pilsner had far more hop characters to it, but then again, this is a light beer. Its not suppose to have a lot of hop character. Compared to Bud light, or platinum, seriously, I give this one a 4\5

mouthfeel: light with a heavy dose of carbonation, making it very spritzy and covering its very light body. 4\5

overall: This beer really was not made for me, but I'll be honest, I don't hate it. Id be happy drinking it for free at a friends house or at a party. Its easy to consume, and is not offensive at the least, and does count as a light lagger. That's impressive, as to make a light lagger inoffensive is damn hard. After drinking the entire glass, my final rating is... a 3.75\5.

Its not bad at all. I cant say that I like its aftertaste very much at all, but overall, the beer really is ok...especially for anyone who wants to indulge the fantasy of a “diet beer”.

3.55/5  rDev +8.9%

By far my favorite light beer pours a orange/gold color with light to mediium head,aroma is slightly bready like malt aroma.Taste has a good hop flavor for a light beer with a good malty smack in the finish.Good mouthfeel for a light beer as well,and can drink many of these without feeling full.Its a light beer take it for what it is.

3.25/5  rDev -0.3%

Pours a not-so-light amber color. Smells like a macro (corn I believe). Tastes not at all like your daddy's light beer swill. It's actually not that bad, surprisingly. This might be a good choice for those buds who refuse to drink anything other than Coors Light.

2.88/5  rDev -11.7%

Clear golden, slightly amber pour with a fizzy small head that quickly fades to nothing. Eh. A spicy, herbal hop is apparent along with a sweet cereal grain aroma. The nose is really subdued and doesn't do much for me at all.

A mellow pale, slightly caramelly maltiness along with some sweet grains and a touch of herbal, spicy hops on the way down. An unoffensive brew that is still very pedestrian. If I HAD to drink a light beer...I would definetly choose this over anything else.

Mouthfeel is borderline medium bodied with much more maltiness than standard light lagers. This makes a good lawnmowing beer...which I am about to go do. Not something I'd ever pick up as "light" beer is pointless to me. However it was nice enough to try out of the mixed 12 pack.

2.7/5  rDev -17.2%

This isn't bad for a light beer. That being said, it's still a light beer, and has all my negative connotations associated with being a light beer.
It is an amber color with a medium-sized, but quickly disappearing, white head.
Not much for the aroma, mostly sweet malt.
Even less comes through in the taste, sweet, breadlike.
Not a beer I would seek out, but as part of the summer 12 pack, someone had to drink it.

3.8/5  rDev +16.6%

!2 onz amber bottle

Appearance : Light brown color with a pale creamy color head that looks really good.

Smell: Grainy and a light but very light sweet aroma.

Taste: Light bodied, maltiness is there in a very nice way,Hops are there present, a small caramel or sweet flavour.

Mouthfeel & Drinkabilty : Very easy to drink,feels nice in the mouth not wattery like light beer.

Notes; This beer can be a regular lager for other brand. Very nice label.

3.25/5  rDev -0.3%

3.63/5  rDev +11.3%

Presentation: 12oz brown bottle with freshness date on the side.

Appearance: Bright, clear amber in colour with very active carbonation and a semi-sticky thin white creamy lace.

Smell: Soft metallic, grain and floral aromas.

Taste: A light bodied, dextrin malty sweetness starts this brew off, followed by grain notes, a smooth and creamy palate (fizzy, tight carbonation), a slighty dry crispness and background metallic and very faint caramel flavours. Hop flavour is soft with a mild citrus quality to it. Ends with a drying grain tannin feel and flavour.

Notes: This is a light beer that is sure to revolutionize the perception of light beers! Okay, no it's not ... and it's not even really a light beer. Sam Adams Light is full of flavour, colour and aroma at 128 calories (no different than most non-light beers) per 12oz serving. It's also made from two-row barley and 100% noble hops -- unlike other light beers that are chuck full of adjuncts and sometimes other icky things. In the light category, this is at the top, hence my rating, but as a beer this is something that I would not normally buy.

Just like the Boston lager, with a less prevalent taste, but the taste kicks in at the end. A good beer for when you don't want to get full. But still not as good as some of the other Sam Adams varieties. not bad if you just want a good beer but don't want to be filled up, or excessively drunk, still a better alternative than bud light.

3.2/5  rDev -1.8%

I tasted this on two occasions,once side by side with Miller Lite and Bud Light the second time with MGD and Coors. With the lights it stood easily on top, much darker color, much bolder aroma, and definitely a better taste. With the regular beers , this tasted very ordinary.I guess light is just light, there are beers that taste good for a light, but not lights that taste great as a beer

2.3/5  rDev -29.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

It's very light--totally translucent. The head, though it fizzles to near nothingness within a minute or two, really isn't too shabby (for a light beer). Not expecting much, I figure the head and some semblance of lacing makes this an above par look for the style.

The smell definitely ain't much, though I detect a distinct Sam Adams smell--maybe it's the two-row malt. Acknowledging I know basically nothing about noble hops, the beer certainly doesn't smell hoppy to me. For a light lager, it's got character but, at least for the odor, that Sam Adams distinctiveness is not a positive one.

Particularly for a light beer, I taste a bit more malt than I'd expect. There's undoubtedly that Sam Adams something in the taste as well. I don't want to knock it too much, but I don't really like it. The more I think about it, the more I think it's that two-row malt; if not, I maintain it's the same sorta substance I found displeasing about the smell. It's got character...but maybe I don't want character in a light lager.

It's fully carbonated--maybe overly so because the mouthfeel is really fizzy. I respect that it's homogenous--every aspect of this beer is the same with every sense you can use to experience it. It looks, smells, tastes, and feels the same throughout. Since there's that sole ingredient that seems to dominate the senses, and I don't really like it, the fizzy burst of it I get in the mouthfeel makes that the least enjoyable component of the beverage.

I bet this is a big seller, and I'm certainly not gonna knock Sam Adams just because it's readily available. I got this one in a summer variety pack, and I've enjoyed most of the beers out of that. Truth is, however, I'd prefer they leave this one out; furthermore, it's tough for me to contemplate a time when I'd pick Sam Adams Light over ANY beer. Maybe over the worst of the worst (read: Milwaukee's Best Light or King Cobra), but even then it might still be a decision.

2.75/5  rDev -15.6%

Sam Adams Light from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)